Behind The Counter (Tokyo Rev...

By kiriluvrbot

"If you tell the truth, you don't have to remember anything. Right now I'm having amnesia and déjà vu at the... More

Chapter I: Veracity
Chapter II: Providence
Chapter III: The Commencement
Chapter IV: Amity
Chapter V: Strife
Chapter VI: Dissension
Chapter VII: Benevolence
Chapter VIII: Assertion
Chapter IX: Ablution
Chapter X: Celebration
Chapter XI: Concurrence
Chapter XII: Consequence
Chapter XIII: Overpower
Chapter XIV: Contemplation
Chapter XV: Despair
Chapter XVI: Unwanted Invitations
Chapter XVII: Loose Ends
Chapter XVIII: Travesty
Chapter XIX: Compulsory
Chapter XX: Calamity
Chapter XXI: Desperate Times
Chapter XXII: Nearing The End
Chapter XXIV: Eye for An Eye
Chapter XXV: The Good and The Bad
Chapter XXVI: It is what it is
Chapter XXVII: No hard feelings...

Chapter XXIII: Stranger Danger

498 22 8
By kiriluvrbot

[TW: Mention of Child/Domestic Abuse, Heavy Manipulation, & Mention of Alcoholism]

~.~

"Tag. You're it."

~.~

"Ah! Kazutora! Right on time," Hanma grinned; roping his arm around's (Y/N)'s neck as he forcibly inched her closer to his chest, "Our new recruit and I were just talking about ya! You really show up at the perfect moment."

(Y/N) grunts while under Hanma's tight hold; her narrowed eyes traveling over to a familiar blonde and black-haired male standing before them. His childish smirk almost made her stomach turn inside out.

"Aw, really? That's awesome! Glad she's already getting used to how we do things." Kazutora innocently beamed; his head tilting to the side as he ignored (Y/N)'s obvious scowl. 

He just couldn't be more pleased to hear such false news; not to mention how it came straight from Hanma.

So, of course, he believed every single word that was spewed from his disgusting mouth.

Furthermore, due to Kazutora's joy, it only made Hanma beam even harder; his grip tightening as his eyes traveled over to the struggling girl, "So, (Y/N)? Ya mind if you and Kazutora hang out for a bit? He's been meaning to get to know you a little more; not to mention you'll be under his division as of today."

Kazutora lights up at the statement; his teeth flashing a gigantic grin, "Really? Aw hell yeah! That's awesome!" He cheered; clutching his fists with victory. It was as if he had won some sort of prize. It was sickening.

But for (Y/N), on the other hand, all she could do was just looked over at Hanma; watching as his eyes narrowed, clearly indicating that she still had no choice in the matter.

So, with a heavy heart, and an annoyed expression; she nodded.

"Yeah...sure..." She murmured; feeling as Hanma's giant arm released her, allowing the air to swarm her lungs once again.

But even though the relief felt heavenly, it didn't stop her stomach from turning once she heard Hanma's victorious laughter, "Welp, that settles it," He proclaimed; clasping his hands together as they thundered. "You two go on and hang out for a bit. Starting today, we're all one big happy family. And we should learn to get along."

With this, Hanma winked at the pair before walking in the opposite direction; leaving (Y/N) to endure Kazutora's cocky and enthusiastic expression. The boy then shrugged once Hanma was out of sight, his smile expanding once more; "Don't look so sad, (Y/N)! Today will be awesome!"

You could almost hear the sound of crickets the moment Kazutora uttered those stupid words.

And, to Kazutora's dismay, he was sort of hoping (Y/N) would make some effort to retort with a sarcastic remark; it would surely make things a lot less awkward. But alas, rather, she zipped her lips as she clutched at her former work bag, the weight of it getting heavier and heavier by the second.

When did she even grow so weak?

Kazutora's eyes were immediately glued to the item, noticing how (Y/N)'s arms lowered more and more due to its heaviness. With this, he extends his hand, "Here, lemme carry that for you," he grinned; tipping his head to the side as his annoying earring made its tiny jingle.

(Y/N) is taken aback, her feet moving in reverse upon seeing how close Kazutora grew. She then watches as he frowned; his lips forming a childish pout, "Come on, that thing looks heavy! I can carry it for you if you want."

All he was given was a soft huff and a mean side-eye in retort. 

As if (Y/N) would allow his filthy hands ever to touch something of hers.

But then again, it served no purpose anymore...she practically no longer had a job. And no job means no money. And with no money...?

What purpose did she serve anymore?

The thought only made (Y/N) stare down at the bag, not noticing how Kazutora shrugged and turned away, "Suit yourself. I was only trying to be a gentleman—"

A soft thud could be heard directly behind Kazutora, cutting his sentence short as his head rotated toward the noise. And low and behold, the bag was now inches away from his heels; causing another grin to grow.

"It was...getting too heavy anyways," (Y/N) huffed; her legs moving forward as she practically sped past Kazutora, ignoring how slowly he grabbed at her bag.

"You know, (Y/N)? I really wanna work things out with ya!" He exclaimed; watching as (Y/N)'s feet halted with pure irritation, "Why would I ever wanna work things out with you?!" She barked; venom in her tone as she spun her body around, "I lost the last thing that actually gave me a chance at making it far in this world, because of you and Hanma!"

(Y/N)'s feet began carrying her right back to the same spot in which Kazutora now stood, "I did everything! Just to make amends for a damn mistake I made not too long ago! And you assholes ruined it!"

Every word that spewed from (Y/N)'s mouth only had a tiny ounce of acid inside of them; hoping to burn Kazutora to nothing but ash. In fact, she wanted to burn the entire area in which she stood currently.

"You want us to be friends but I don't want that. You want me to get all cozy with Valhalla but I won't. I don't want any of this! I just... want—!" (Y/N)'s sentence is cut off; her mind drawing a blank as she tried to process what she truly wanted to say.

She just wanted...what exactly? What did she even want from the start?

"I just want..." she repeated; her voice lowering as she took a few steps backward. It was as if the entire world had shifted, and her balance was now completely off track.

What was it that she wanted? Why was she even here at this moment? Was it to make amends? Was it for vengeance?

No. It was none of those things.

Truth was? She didn't have a reason for her actions. She had no motive, no will. Nothing.

And Kazutora planned to make great use of that. 

With this, he planted a firm hand on (Y/N)'s shoulder, "You and I are truly alike, (Y/N)."

Air gets caught in (Y/N)'s throat as she slapped Kazutora's hand away, "Huh?? What are you talking about?!" She hissed; knitting her brow tightly.

Despite her retort, Kazutora made no effort to explain what his words meant. Instead, he simply brushed past her, carrying her bag with glee, "Oh, nothing," He giggled; happily skipping away like a toddler. 

Then, his feet stopped once more, and he turned to slightly look over his shoulder, "Wanna get something to eat? I'll treat."

The mere question only made a vein pop from (Y/N)'s forehead, 'Did he seriously just ignore my question?!' Her fists clench, "Fuck off. I'm not going to eat anywhere with you," She hissed; her arms folding overtop of one another.

And there it was, that sly fox's signature smile and his playful eyes, "Don't be so harsh, (Y/N). I'm merely trying to ensure that you have all the energy you need," He shrugs, "After all? It's not like you can sneak snacks from your job anymore." He then flashes a shit-eating grin; his eyes shadowed by his blonde bangs, "That is? Unless you want Hanma to find out that you refused to hang out with me?"

Her breath hitched again when he mentioned that irksome name, and her heart stopped dead in her chest. If it wasn't for her legs currently being rooted to the ground, she'd probably would've rushed over to him, strangling his life out of him without hesitation. But, alas, she just froze; her head lowering in defeat.

It didn't even help that the sound of grumbling soon came from her stomach; further proving Kazutora to be correct.

She was, in fact, starving. So hungry...

And so desperate that she wouldn't even hesitate to grab the grass next to her feet in order to fill her belly and quell her hunger. She didn't care what it was or whether it tasted good or bad; she just needed something in that very instant.

"Where to...?" She grumbled; digging her nails into the soft skin of her forearms. She couldn't believe that she had stooped this low, nor did she ever imagine taking food from this psychotic delinquent.

It was all...humiliating. And Kazutora couldn't have been more pleased, "Much better. Now? Let's go."

~.~

"Here we are!" Kazutora giggled; swinging the front door open as (Y/N) stepped inside. In an instant, the smell of fresh Macarons, Éclairs, and bread filled her nostrils; the scent was almost enough to make her float like those childish cartoons.

How the hell did Kazutora find a place like this?

It was almost as if he had read her mind; because as soon as (Y/N)'s feet touched the glossy floors, he parted his lips, "I used to come here when I was a kid. Their ice cream sundaes are the best! But since it's October? I recommend the pumpkin pie!"

The mere mention of such delicious desserts nearly made Kazutora squeal with joy; frightening the tall female. But, aside from his childish behavior, (Y/N) wasted no time in following Kazutora toward a small booth; the waiter being not too far behind them.

Upon sitting down, (Y/N) sadly had to bare witness to Kazutora's endless babbling about what dessert to try after her lunch; on top of that, he acted so...innocent?

It was almost enough to make her forget that he broke his lieutenants' legs right in front of her...

The mere memory was enough to send a chill down her spine; she did not want to be in those guys' positions.

But? Then again? Now that she thought about it?

The way they looked up at him with fear and respect. The way they were terrified by a mere boy. How their expressions were pleading for mercy; and the way he denied it? And let's not forget the way his words pierced her soul after he did it; how he made her feel as though she was a worthless piece of trash.

"Sorry about them (Y/N). . . Sometimes? You gotta punish those who need to be punished. Don't you agree~?"

'I can't risk getting on his bad side. If anything, I need to gain as much trust as possible. Both from Kazutora and Hanma...! But how...?' A small bead of sweat leaked from (Y/N)'s face as she stared ahead; ignoring all the outside noises that surrounded her. It must've been going on for a while; because not long after that, Kazutora snapped his fingers in front of her eyelids.

"Hello? Earth to (Y/N)? You ready to order?"

The tall female jolts; her head shaking slightly with surprise. She was then granted a pair of confused stares, both from the waiter and from Kazutora. Once again, embarrassment swarms within her, and she was unable to wash off the disgusting feeling.

Furthermore, she simply held up her menu and placed her order; purposefully hiding her flustered expression, 'I fucking hate it here...' she thought.

And as his giggles filled up the entire booth that they sat in; time flew by and the food finally arrived.

Honestly, (Y/N) should've expected Kazutora to grab some form of dessert first before eating any actual lunch. But, alas, it still surprised her. And as she watched him dig into his food like a starving hyena; his spoon grabbing scoop after scoop as he completely devoured his sweet pumpkin pie.

"Gosh, it's been so long since I had some real food!" He squealed; crumbs practically soaring through the sky as (Y/N) bare-witness to Kazutora's horrible table manners.

And after a while of watching him practically stuff his face, (Y/N) impatiently decided to strike up a conversation first. If they were going to eat together, she had to get something out of him that might at least help her get out of Valhalla.

But how do you ask someone such a thing without coming off as a spy?

Before she could even think of an adequate response to that query, Kazutora abruptly stopped stuffing his mouth with pie and turned to face her; raising a brow, "Something's wrong, (Y/N)? You haven't eaten anything yet."

(Y/N) stiffens like a statue; her eyes glued to the glass vintage plate that her food now rested upon. Then, with a soft sigh, "You must think I'm an idiot." She murmured.

"Hm?" says Kazutora, cocking his head to the side like a lost dog. He then continued to focus on her as he hummed with perplexion. However, it didn't stop him from eating, so he didn't make any effort to remove the spoon out of his mouth. 

But after he had finished eating and taken the spoon from out his mouth, he said, "What? Do we have a problem?"

The way he casually licked the crumbs from his face only enraged (Y/N), who quickly planted a fist on the table and exclaimed, "You know damn well that we have a problem!" Her voice rang out; attracting the attention of nearby customers, "Why the hell did you really bring me here?"

Kazutora's smile only grew wider than ever before, "You know? Yelling only makes the food take bitter. Don't you have any manners?" He teased; setting his spoon aside as it rested directly next to the remaining bits of his delicious pie.

(Y/N), on the other hand, simply grabs a nearby butterknife, moving her body across the table as her free hand grabber Kazutora's collar and the other, holding the knife to his throat, "Kazutora Hanemiya, I'm done with these mind games. I may have been defeated by you and Hanma once. But that was only because you had Althea." 

The knife's tip approaches Kazutora's jugular, "But since she's safe at home? I'm not going to hold back now."

"I think it'd be better if we didn't throw down in a place like this, (Y/N)," sneered Kazutora, his big cat-like eyes staring straight through the girl, "Just look around, you're scaring everyone." 

(Y/N) quickly pauses, her eyes widening slightly as her head shifted to the left, then to everyone surrounding them.

And, to her surprise, Kazutora was correct. Several children shifted closer to their parents in an instant, their tiny faces painted with fear. Some adults even began to whisper amongst themselves, before they and their crying children immediately fled from the restaurant.

They were just too terrified of meeting (Y/ N)'s vengeful gaze.

Guilt began to wash over her as (Y/N) returned her gaze to Kazutora, watching as his victorious grin grew. With a scoff, she quickly removed the sharp butter knife from his throat, returning it to its original position.

"That's much better," He sneered once more; his eyes closing as his head tipped to the side, "You really don't hesitate, do you, (Y/N)? That's commendable." He beamed.

"This is only because we're in public. If you had taken me to another remote location, I guarantee you that not even Hanma would be able to locate your body." (Y/N) whispered, her fingertips barely grazing the silverware once more.

Kazutora then pushed his plate forward; allowing his arms to rest on the table, "So violent. I just wanted to talk," He pouted; his eyes scanning each of his nails with slight sass.

(Y/N) retorts with her middle finger purposefully tapping against the table, "Then speak."

An odd grin appeared on Kazutora's face, and he began resting his soft chin on his knuckles, "All right," he purred, his gaze fixed on hers, sending chills down her spine. "So, (Y/N)? Have you heard of "The Last Supper"? Y'know, the famous religious painting?"

Such randomness nearly made the gears in (Y/N)'s brain stop, but she made sure to hide her perplexity.

'Why does he suddenly want to talk about that? I figured he was gonna play dumb but...is this his way of fucking with me?' She wondered; feeling as Kazutora's golden eyes pierced through her body. It almost made her body burn; like a laser was shooting straight through her.

But, with a heavy exhale, she retorted with a soft, "Yeah? Although, I'm not very religious..."

The response only made Kazutora shift his face onto one hand instead, "Do you know why they call it that?" The young man asked; his voice barely above a whisper. 

Another sharp inhale is taken as (Y/N) squeezed at the silverware that was resting before her. She was definitely growing more uncomfortable. 

Nevertheless, she withheld her composure, not daring to show any sign of fear, "Why is this important? No offense but, I doubt you're that religious yourself." She scowled; scanning the boy head to toe.

But, once again, that stupid, cocky smirk of his plastered itself across his lips as he snickered, "Can't a guy just like art, (Y/N)? I may be a delinquent, but I have dreams and hobbies too."

The statement nearly made (Y/N) bang her fist on the table again, "Just answer me. Why is this even relevant? Are you tryna fuck with me?!" She spat; her teeth grinding against one another.

The question was direct and pointed. Despite this, all he did was click his teeth. Rather than becoming enraged though, he continued to eat his pie, as if nothing was wrong, "Obviously not. I'm merely saying that you shouldn't think of me as religious. Just artistic."

(Y/N) irks, leaning forward as she whispered something directly to his smug face, "The words I'm really thinking? I can not say, because we are in a family restaurant." She replied cruelly; planting her hands on the table; careful to not tip it over. 

Kazutora was still unfazed despite her stern statement. Instead, he began softly giggling as he took a sip of his drink. After a while, he simply returned the cup to its saucer, "You have no filter, (Y/N)! It's amusing." He smirked, "But, you know? I, too, never really believed in God. That is, not anymore."

(Y/N) blinks; additionally confused, "Oh yeah? Then what changed...?" She inquired; her eyes still narrowed with vexation.

"..." Kazutora zips his lips, his hair now casting a shadow over his soft face, "You wanna know why I'm so interested in the painting of 'the last supper', (Y/N)?" He trailed off; his head turning toward the window as the harsh wind blew outside.

(Y/N), having been caught off guard by the change in subject, simply scoffed while sitting back in her seat, "Why?" She replied; leaning backward as she subconsciously relaxed.

Kazutora simply traces his finger along a tiny puddle formed by the cup of his drink, connecting two droplets into one, "That painting depicted two aspects of the Last Supper. You've heard the story, right?"

He then resumed his explanation, holding his hand up, "Apparently? When Christ revealed to his Apostles that one of them would betray him by the end of the night, all they could muster was shock." Kazutora scoffs, "I mean? A traitor among Christ's disciples? I would have thought it was a load of bullshit too."

Kazutora then lowers his hand and begins fidgeting with his spoon. "However, we both know what happened next," His lips form a pout as he shrugs, "The next thing they knew, Christ was strung up like a rag doll. tortured, and 'died for our sins'. Everything is because of that traitor. Despite Christ's complete faith in his Apostles, the traitor still snitched."

(Y/N) felt a pang of anguish in the pit of her stomach, and when she grabbed it, her lips parted, "I'm going to ask you again, Kazutora. Why are you telling me this?" she hissed. "What does this have to do with us having similarities? Why'd you bring me here to 'chat'?"

Kazutora ignores her, "Human nature is prone to betrayal, (Y/N). It makes no difference how much trust or respect you have for that person. There will always be someone who will stab you in the back in order to get what they want." A grim expression washes over his face, "It's even been scientifically proven that every human being, myself included, is a little selfish."

Then, in the blink of an eye, Kazutora's frown vanished, leaving him with his trademark smile. He sighed and tucked his hands in his lap, "But, you know what? I've accepted my selfishness. After all, it's the only way I've ever gotten what I wanted. As a result, I was no longer afraid or helpless. I became God."

His hand rises once more, "By joining Valhalla and rising to the rank of third division captain? I've been able to get stronger, and I now employ a large number of people, who kiss the ground that I walk on."

"They fear you." (Y/N) interjected; another hint of venom behind her words. "They're afraid of you, Kazutora; because you're crazy, and you hurt people."

Kazutora soon pauses as a questioning brow rose. And as her statement resumed,  (Y/N) slouched forward and placed her hand on the table again, "You are neither respected nor deserving of respect. You only harm the helpless or turn them into your lackeys."

With his head tilted to the side, Kazutora carefully listened to each word that (Y/N) uttered; struggling not to snicker at her rage.

"The two worst things to have ever entered my life are you and Hanma. You just simply take what you want and harm whoever you want out of spite! Why would a rational person ever want to respect someone like that? You're just a monster to them, nothing more!" She boomed; not caring about whoever was listening at this point.

"Maybe if you were normal? I wouldn't even be in Valhalla. And honestly? I wish you never even existed." (Y/N) hissed; her hands clutching at the wood of the table.

The word 'normal' sparked something from within Kazutora Hanemiya. His eyes widened, and his posture straightened almost instantly, "Normal?" He repeated; his body slowly leaning forward, "Was trying to kill my boss, 'normal' to you, (Y/N)?"

The tall female could feel the air getting caught in her throat again, "Huh? Hey, I was just—!!"

"When you struck Hanma with these fists of yours, was that you being 'normal'? Or were you trying to ensure that he never got up again?" Kazutora then grabs (Y/N) by the wrist; nearly pulling her across the entire table.

(Y/N) tried to rip her hand from Kazutora's grasp, but failed, "Stop that! Stop twisting my fucking words around! I was defending myself! And I had every right to do so!!"

Although her statement was true, Kazutora didn't let up. Instead, he just clicked his teeth, tightening his hold on her wrist, "Oh please, (Y/N). Don't give me that bullshit. You're nothing more than a hypocrite. You claim to dislike delinquents and yet here you are, siding with the people you claimed are the 'bad guys'. Yet, I'm not normal?"

That sentence made (Y/N) scoff as she struggled against Kazutora's grip. But, of course, his hand remained motionless. His expression, on the other hand, was devoid of emotion, and his gaze remained fixed on hers.

It was almost intimidating. Like she was forced to stare into a black hole; her body sinking deeper and deeper into its core, not knowing what was even inside.

Unknowingly, another chill was sent down her spine before Kazutora suddenly released her, "However? I don't want to dislike you. And I truly don't want you to betray me, (Y/N)." he pouts. "There's just something about how you view and act on things, it's strange. It's as if we're connected by the same thread. It's the same with me and Baji."

(Y/N) could feel her throat tighten again, 'Connected? Now I know he's fucking with me!'

"Thanks to Baji, you now know my story." Kazutora sits up, his gaze fixed on hers. "Since I was sent to juvie. I didn't have anyone. The only thing keeping me from losing it? Was Baji writing me letters, promising to be by my side no matter who he had to get rid of? He even said that he would die for me."

The index finger of Kazutora's hand extends, "That's what true loyalty is, (Y/N). That is how I know we're connected." 

A creepy smile maneuvered across Kazutora's expression, "You'd kill whoever you had to in order to ensure that your precious Althea was safe, correct? You didn't even hesitate in slicing my throat in this public restaurant!"

 His face contorted into a grin again as he reached towards the table, "But you would still rather be on the side of good, right?" His expression hardens, "Well, here's the harsh reality, (Y/N). There is no 'good or bad' side in this world. It's either kill or be killed. That's what I learned as I rotted in that disgusting cell." 

 He then leaned in close; his voice dropping to a cold whisper, "So, what will you do? Kill or be killed?"

She glares at him; unaware that her hands began to shake, 'he's sly, and the way he words everything is so clever; almost poetic. I can't possibly trick him if I proceed with a harsh attitude...!' 

Her eyelids twitch as his gaze burned her eyes; she then looks away, 'However, he did give me some leverage.'

"I truly don't want you to betray me, (Y/N). It's like we're connected by the same thread. It's the same with me and Baji."

'That must be the key! "Trust." If I can earn his trust and play the role of the villain? Then maybe I can...No— I will be able to...—' Her head lifts as a slight smirk forms on her face, 'Get rid of Hanma Shuji.'

Kazutora may be keen and always lands on his feet. But (Y/N) can be just as agile and swift.

"Maybe...you have a point, Kazutora," she nods; her shoulders lifting as she forced a nonchalant shrug, "but I still don't know why I should trust someone like you, especially when I'm trying to stay alive in this fucked up world," (Y/N) reaches for a fork as she took a tiny bite of her meal; savoring the taste as she forced a sly smile. 

"After all, you could be lying to me just for fun." Her big eyes then flash a short glare; as if she were a viper, sinking its teeth into her prey, "Saying that we're connected, even though you know I'm not very trusting of you? I'm a busy girl, so I'll need references before I willingly work with you."

Kazutora could feel his heart rush with excitement once (Y/N) uttered those words, "Then, how about a little interview? You share something about yourself and I'll do the same~?"

(Y/N) bites back the urge to smirk with victory, 'That's right. Keep talking, you banana peel bastard.'

"Now you're speaking my language," She snickered; taking another bite of her food. 

Kazutora, on the other hand, just softly hummed; pleased to know that (Y/N) was now indulging in the conversation, "Alright, what do you do for a living? Got any parents?"

It was now (Y/N)'s turn to tilt her head this time. The question perplexed her. But, her plan was still working. The more information she spills, the more trust she'd earn from Kazutora.

This could indeed be helpful. As long as she played the role of someone whom Kazutora trusted with his life, then maybe, just maybe, she'll be able to formulate a potential chance to escape Valhalla.

'Okay, Kazutora Hanemiya. Let's begin...'

"Yes, I actually do. Despite the fact that I rarely see them at home." She pauses for a moment, purposefully setting up the sad mood; her entire body now stiffened as if her pain was just spilling out all in one, "My dad is constantly looking for jobs, and he often has to work all the way across the country to do so; hence why I came to Japan at such a young age..."

Her brow furrows, "My mother, on the other hand...is merely a housewife. She rarely looks for work because she... well...? Isn't the healthiest person you'll ever meet; so she often fails her health tests. Then, after a while, she just left that crap to me and my father. While she downs another bottle at home."

(Y/N) then makes a 'drinking' motion with her hand, allowing Kazutora to catch her drift. She then lowers her hand, her gaze shifting toward the setting sun.

"And me? I just try to get by in this world. But before all this stress, my sister and I would just chill at home. We'd sometimes even fantasize about becoming architects; we hoped to...someday create race cars together. She'd open her own shop, and I'd become a racer, or at the very least a manager."

She then forces a dry chuckle, "But, I suppose, dreams die. With the parents I have? They made sure to crush that dream." She sighs; her body began sinking into the cushions of the booth. "Not everyone is raised by a family that looks after them. Especially my family. Without my older sister? Everything just fell apart, and our home...soon became nothing more than a jumble of broken bottles."

She gives Kazutora a glum expression, "To me, family is nothing but a letdown. And by family, I mean parents, siblings, and friends. But at this point, it's always been this way."

Kazutora hums in agreement; leaning forward as he displayed a neutral expression. It was completely unreadable, and (Y/N) couldn't even differentiate whether it was sincere, angry, or pitiful. All-in-all, it made her feel even worse. The silence was deafening.

Until, "Sounds shitty," he commented.

A soft hum is released as (Y/N) nodded, "Yeah. But what can you do when you're just a 14-year-old kid?" she inquired; lifting her head as her left arm rested at the tip of the booth's top cap.

"You can do a lot more than you think, (Y/N)," Kazutora proclaimed; watching as (Y/N) rose a brow.

He then gave a gentle smirk, "I can relate to you a lot! We both had to put up with scumbags who didn't give a shit about us. However, it still kept us alive, and made us stronger."

"Stronger..?" (Y/N) repeated; observing how Kazutora proceeded to down his ice-cold drink. He then sighed before resuming, "Our hatred. That's the key."

(Y/N) releases a soft gasp; feeling herself growing more and more intrigued.

"I don't recall much from my childhood. Whenever I think back to it, there's no sound, no melody, and everything is in black and white." His smile fades quickly as his gaze grew eerie, "All I do remember...? Is a fist constantly raised at my mother...and tears streaming down her cheeks as she quivered with fear."

(Y/N) curses under her breath, "Holy shit..."

"I hate that memory, (Y/N). I hate seeing the woman who birthed me just...lying there, crying; as I sat there and did nothing," Kazutora irked, a scowl forming, "I was weak. I hated my weaker self. So?" He pauses; his lids narrowing in a slow manner, "I killed him. I murdered the old me. In order to change my shitty life."

'Is he...being serious right now...?' (Y/N) softly gulps, her eyes scanning the poor boy's expression as she felt pity and fear build up in her stomach. 'What can I even say to that? He's totally just... spilling everything out to me!'

(Y/N) steals another look into Kazutora's lifeless eyes; they're as wide and cat-like as before, but also empty; like an endless void, (Y/N) was just getting sucked in more and more. 'He looks so...broken.'

"Which is why you should do the same" Kazutora proclaimed; a glint of light in his eyes, "You're an outcast, like me. But something stands in your way, (Y/N). And it's your job to snuff it out," He proclaimed; firmly setting his hand on top of his desk.

(Y/N) falls silent; her gaze falling upon her hands as they rested on the table, "And...what may that be?"

Kazutora sneers once more; his canines flashing as his giggles soon turned into outright laughter, "You still haven't pieced it together?" He snorts; his hand covering his mouth childishly, "(Y/N), (Y/N), (Y/N)! There's a reason I wanted you under my division specifically."

Beads of sweat begin to pour down the back of (Y/N)'s neck as she sensed the mischievous aura that swarmed around Kazutora Hanemiya. The way his eyes widened with excitement and glee, the way his teeth formed that huge, menacing grin...

"I've come to find out that you're grown pretty close with the commander of Toman," Kazutora's grin falters; a hint of venom in his tone, "I've also learned that you and that commander have saved each other's lives; how cute."

The entire restaurant began to grow smaller as Kazutora spoke; his tone growing eerier, "You two have something special. Something I've never seen before; even though I was a founding member."

Again, (Y/N) gulps, but this time it's more audible. Her act had already been completely abandoned due to Kazutora being too unpredictable, shrewd, and downright insane!

"What...?" She murmured; watching as Kazutora leaned forward; his grin disappearing as his yellow bangs shadowed one of his eyes, "(Y/N), my dear friend." He called, "As I said earlier? You're the key. And I wasn't just preaching to you when I said that."

The timid girl's body tenses up; her bottom lip quivering as she began to piece together what the odd male meant.  

"No, no..." Kazutora's head shakes left to right, "You should know that by befriending a powerhouse like Sano Manjiro, that would mean that the only person who can break that damn bastard down to tiny atoms? Is you. Because you're the key to this entire battle. You're the key to Valhalla's victory."

Kazutora then stands to his feet; leaning himself across the table, "Can't you see it, (Y/N)?! The absolute BETRAYAL he'd feel once your eyes meet and you're on our side?! This is why I want you. THIS IS WHY WE NEED YOU!"

(Y/N)'s heart began to skyrocket as her breathing grew shallow. Her head couldn't even control itself as it shook. Even so, Kazutora did not halt in hiss tamenet.

"(Y/N) Sumiko, I want you to help me KILL 'The Invincible Mikey'!!"

The tall female began slightly shaking with uncertainty; her heart beating almost a million miles per hour. 'Excuse me?! Is he out of his mind?! Why the hell would I ever help him with that?!'

Such a statement would make anyone want to decline, shout, or do anything to object to the cruel offer. But in this case, (Y/N) was left stiff as a statue. 

She couldn't unravel any of the bandages that Kazutora had wrapped tightly around her. She was suffocating, drowning. And if she didn't loosen the knots...? Then he might win. She had to get back on track. There had to be something she could say. Something that would change his mind. 

"Hell no, Kazutora. I'm not doing this shit!" She bellowed, "I would rather die than ever stoop to your level and hurt anybody! Are you kidding me?!"

Kazutora was left bewildered by her decline; his hair casting a shadow over his face. He hated to admit it, but he was indeed hoping that (Y/N) would miraculously turn over a new leaf. But, alas, she was too smart for him.

Perhaps, he needed to try a different tactic.

"You really think Mikey gives a shit about you? Don't be stupid, (Y/N)" he scowled. 

"And Hanma does?" (Y/N) bit back, "Mikey may not be the brightest, but he hasn't beaten me damn-well near to death, has he?"

Kazutora is still not impressed, "You don't know him, you're completely unaware of what he's capable of." He argued, "I'm simply looking out for you. Mikey is not a person you can trust. He's a monster."

There's a quick silence before (Y/N) folded her arms, "Look who's talking."

"You still think I'm a monster? After everything I told you?" He murmured; staring down at his cold pie.

(Y/N) scoffs, "Sorry, even though you did tug at my heartstrings. It still isn't enough to tip me over to your side. So, you can forget all about me helping you murder Mikey. I'm not being anyone's damn partner in crime."

The statement was final. But, of course, Kazutora didn't let up. Instead, he fell quiet, his nails digging at the sleeve of his jacket. Then, he rested both forearms on the table; still staring at his long limbs, "Fine. Then...maybe this will change your mind."

With this, Kazutora lifted his left sleeve, looking down as (Y/N) turned her head in his direction. Her pupils shrank in seconds, and she gasped. 

She soon noticed, to her horror, a minor burn on the entirety of Kazutora's left arm. It appeared to be in the shape of a cross. 

It was, in fact, a cross, faded but visible.

"My God..." (Y/N) panted; her eyes growing wider by the second, "Kazutora...wha— what the hell is this...?"

The blonde and black-haired boy sighs; holding up his arm, making sure to take a nice, long look at it, "My father works as a priest. Since he was my age, he's been the most religious person you'd ever know..." 

His grip on the fabric of his Valhalla jacket tightens, "He claims to praise God, but... at every opportunity? He beats both my mother and me. And one day? He burned this into my skin, hoping that all my sins would 'go away'."

(Y/N) softly gasps, shifting backward in her seat once more; listening as Kazutora continued to rage on, "Tell me, (Y/N). Am I so bad...? When people like my father exist...?"

The poor girl isn't even allowed to respond before Kazutora gritted his teeth; a vein protruding from his brow, "And thanks to Mikey? I lost two years of my life, (Y/N). Two precious years, because of him." 

He quickly rolls down his sleeve; slouching back in his seat, "You may not get it right now, (Y/N). But you'll have to if you wanna keep surviving in this world. As I said, it's kill or be killed."

"You're fucking crazy...! I'm...I'm not helping you do this shit!" (Y/N) protested; standing from her seat.

"You know? I used to be loyal to Mikey. Just like you," Kazutora remarked; his eyes glowing along with the sun's orange hue. "That was until he ended up hurting something of mine...someone whom I held dear. And because of him, I haven't seen them since."

'I'm tired of listening to him. I gotta get outta here!' (Y/N) knits her brows; prepping to pick up her plate and just walk out. 

But once her fingers glided over to the glass dish; Kazutora beamed, seemingly flipping the switch, "I want you to keep living, (Y/N). Keep pushing through whatever hell is placed in front of you. Both your strength and your rage will soon become your greatest weapon." 

He then leans forward; a sinister grin on his face, "I won't pressure you to help me. After all, you're still a rookie."

The tall female halts; her entire body frozen as it processed Kazutora's words. She wasn't even able to protest once he placed his hand on her shoulder; his body moving upward as he stood back to his feet, "but? I'll glad we had this chat, (Y/N). Meeting you was truly a blessing~"

His voice was lighthearted, but it didn't hide his terrifying aura. And as he turned away, walking past an oncoming waiter; another small smirk crawled onto the corner of his lips. 

And then, he was gone; leaving (Y/N) stunned, her now-cold food staring back up at her.

'He's insane...! He's fucking crazy!' Her fists clench; a vein protruding from her forehead, 'All the words that just spewed from his stupid mouth...I can't even decode what any of them meant...!'

(Y/N)'s head turns to look behind her as she watched Kazutora completely disappear into thin air; nothing remained of him beside her bag; he must've placed it there before leaving.

Even so, (Y/N) continued to recount in detail everything that had just occurred to her despite his disappearance. His queries, the way he talked about Mikey, and the state of his family. He had told her absolutely nothing of use. But she couldn't help but see some similarities between him and herself. He was only broken because those who were supposed to lift him up ultimately did the opposite and left him broken.

That's why they were so connected. 

"I want you to keep living, (Y/N). Keep pushing through whatever hell is placed in front of you. Both your strength and your rage will soon become your greatest weapon."

'My greatest weapon...?' She scoffs to herself, pushing her plate away as frustration flooded her mind. 'The battle's coming up, and I've found myself in an even bigger rabbit hole,'

A genuine frown paints (Y/N)'s face as she fidgeted with the sleeves of her jacket, 'I can't believe I'm saying this but things were so much easier when Takemichi was with me...'

A frown creeps on her face, but it slowly turned into a scowl, 'I can't always depend on him. It'll only get more people hurt. I need to cook up a plan in order to take down Valhalla! It's the only way I can ensure that Hanma never hurts anyone ever again.'

(Y/N) slowly begins to fiddle with the silverware; her fingertips smudging it more and more, 'But firstly? Kazutora Hanemiya...of all the people I've met so far... you were no doubt of the scariest. You were definitely adamant about having me assist you...'

"Both your strength and your rage will soon become your greatest weapon."

Her eyes darken; a glint of anger and determination behind them, 'But because of that? You've given this girl's weapon a shit-ton of ammo.' A mischievous sneer is released as (Y/N) slowly arose from her seat, 'I'll continue to play along, earn even more of Valhalla's trust. Then? When the time is right?' (Y/N) slowly gazes upon the butterknife to which she held earlier; her eyes narrowing with glee.

'Since it's kill or be killed? I'm going to kill Shuji Hanma.'

A soft sneer is released before it turned into a sigh, "But first?" She murmured to herself, "I need to make a phone call."

ˏˋ°•*⁀➷

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

88.9K 4.8K 83
Waking up in a hospital without exactly knowing why when she's told to be fine and completely healthy, [Y/n] soon finds out that she has amnesia if a...
3.3K 263 19
You and the rest of the founding members (Mikey, Draken, Baji, Mitsuya, Pah-Chin, and Kazutora) have been childhood friends for a very long time, whe...
15.4K 787 82
-Tokyo Revengers! but I don't tell you the love interest. -Only a small amount of the population has been brought into a strange new world where murd...
10.2K 315 62
~Currently on hiatus~ and is on AO3 As an ex-delinquent with a knack for ticking others off with his mouth, Danaju Hanagaki has lived most of her adu...