Pawned Virtue - #wattys2015 B...

By MariMitchellBaker

Book 4 of The Price Brothers Stories Tara wasn't a stranger to having no food in the house or having the powe... More

WARNING RE CONTENT
Prologue
-1-
-2-
-3-
-4-
-5-
Aussie Laws
-6-
-7-
-8-
-9-
-10-
-11-
-12-
The Note Inside The Card
-13-
-14-
-15-
-16-
-17-
-18-
-19-
-20-
-21-
-22-
-23-
-24-
-25-
-26-
-27-
-28-
-29-
-30-
-31-
-32-
-33-
-34-
-35-
-36-
-37-
-38-
-39-
-40-
-41-
-42-
-43-
-44-
-45-
-46-
-47-
-48-
-49-
-50-
-51-
-52-
-53-
-54-
-55-
-56-
-57-
-58-
-59-
-60-
-61-
-62-
-63-
-64-
-65-
-66-
-67-
-68-
-69-
-70-
-71-
-72-
-73-
-74-
-75-
-76-
-77-
-78-
-79-
-80-
-81-
-82-
-83-
-84-
-85-
-86-
-87-
-88-
-89-
-90-
-91-
Thank you for reading
-93-
-94-
-95-
-96-
-97-
-98-
-99-
Epilogue
After Note

-92-

20K 1.1K 52
By MariMitchellBaker

Not edited. Tissues... yep.

Lucas stood up with a nervous swipe of his down his thighs. His palms sweaty and he was sure he just felt a bead of sweat running down the back of his neck.

His body was tense as he took a step forward while Gemma watched with a guarded look.

"Hi Gemma. I'm Lucas and these are..." he made a motion towards the others.

"Oh I know who you all are" Gemma broke into his introduction. She looked at them all and nodded as she said each of their names.

Smiles grew on their faces to know the reality that she really did know just who they were even if they didn't have a clue about her.

"So" Lucas started nervously with a small smile as he ran a shaky hand across his hair "I guess I'm your brother."

"Well I guess so." it was obvious that Gemma was finding his nervousness funny "and I'm your sister and Christopher..."

"Is our brother" Maxon stood and held his hand out. "Nice to meet you little brat."

Gemma's mouth dropped at his teasing while her own hand moved automatically to be shaken by his.

Damon stood and stepped to her and placed a hand on her shoulder.

"Welcome to the family. Just so you know, as big brothers we reserve the right to tease the hell out of you and beat crap out of any boys who look your way."

Maxon grinned as he watched Gemma's face cover in shock.

"You know Dam, I'm sure if we looked hard enough we'd find a chastiry belt.."

"A WHAT?" Gemma screeched while flushing red.

Both Damon and Maxon laughed heartily as her mouth tried to form words that wouldn't come.

"I like her" Damon said "It's been a while since we've had a little sister to make fun of."

"Exactly brother. The brat's going to fit in just fine."

"But..."

Tara moved forward with a grin.

"Hi Gemma" she wrapped her arms around the girl close to her own age but younger to give her a quick hug before stepping back "as you know I'm Tara and all I can say is regardless as to how these guys act they're really big softies underneath."

"Excuse me?" Maxon demanded "We are not big softies!"

Tara nodded to Gemma.

"Yeh they are but you know what?"

Gemma shook her head slowly in a motion that wasn't really needed in reply to Tara's lead in question.

"These guys are loyal, caring and protective. They're going to drive you crazy at times but just remember they're old and..."

"Hey!" Damon reached out to wrap an arm around Tara's shoulders while a hand landed over her mouth. "Enough of that young lady."

Tara raised her eyebrows to Gemma in a silent motion that said 'See what I mean?'

Gemma grinned and looked between the three shaking her head.

"You're all crazy."

She started to laugh as Tara said something and it came out muffled because of Damon's hand.

"Oh that's gross!" Damon moved quickly away with a shiver as Tara spoke, her speech teasing his palm.

The girls grinned at one another before Gemma's face dropped to one of sadness.

"I've never had a real family before" Gemma spoke "I don't know what to do. I mean yeh, I have Christopher and Dad but..."

"You have all of us" Tara said gently "I didn't come into this family in the best way but I didn't have a family life before... and now I do. There's going to be mistakes and probably some fights but in the end... these guys are pretty good brothers to have."

Lucas stood solemnly watching the scene before him. He watched as his brothers and his wife interacted with his sister. He watched her facial expressions with awe. Her face told every story about what she was thinking. The uncertainity glowed through all of them. He understood that.

He watched as her face went from shock to acceptance in a brief moment as Tara hugged her. It was obvious Gemma hadn't been hugged much in her life and his heart hardened as he knew that of Ellie was still in the country then he'd quite happily kill her for being such a bîtch and neglecting his brother and sister.

Looking at his father he saw the pride in Gemma that he'd seen directed at his siblings and himself as they were growing up. While Maxon, Damon and Grayson were older his father had never once missed letting any of them know how proud he was of each and every achievement they all made. Even Julia, whose death broke hearts to pieces,  got a smile and a 'Well done' when she got excited and told them all she finally wotked out how to put on makeup so it looked natural and not plastered on. 

The little things. The little things that Ellie took for granted with her children were the reasons why they still loved his father even after everything he'd done over the years.

His eyes flickered over to Christopher and he made a promise to never let him feel like any less of a person than everyone else. He smiled softly as he saw seven little yellow cars lined up bumper to bumper while an eigth was being driven into place.

In so many ways his brother was still a child, a very young child, but clearly he was growing up. He had so much to learn about Christopher and all the irks and quirks that made him who he was. He marvelled at the quiet demeanor he had while sitting in the dirt. Was that a usual occurence? Things he'd read were all about acting out behaviours, meltdowns, but Christopher was sitting quietly... he couldn't help but wonder how many behaviours were shoeboxed together because someone couldn't be bothered to look outside the box.

"He goes into his own world at times" Gemma's soft voice startled him coming from his side "but he knows how to be really loud."

Lucas grinned "I bet. Coming from this family he'd have to have to."

"He can't talk but" she pointed to the cluster of laminated pictures attached to a keyring hanging from the loop of his shorts "see those? He asks for drinks, food, toys... lots of things by showing pictures."

"I really want to get to know him, to understand him."

"I can help you but in the end you need to spend time with him to really understand." Gemma spoke in such a way that said she didn't expect him to do it. "I'm glad you all didn't swamp him because he doesn't cope with that real well. It's too much."

"Well I may need you to help me, teach me about him so I can spend more time with him."

Gemma turned suddenly and voiced her surprise.

"You want to spend time witb him?"

Lucas turned and looked down at his little sister and shrugged.

"He's my brother."

Gemma clenched her hands. Her jaw set hard and Lucas was immediately reminded of Julia and her reactions to emotionl situations. In many ways he felt like he was looking at a young Julia.

Thankfully Gemma was more Porter than she was her mother.

"Why?" she demanded "Why are you... you all doing this? You haven't bothered before!"

"We didn't know Gemma. We only found out this week. If we'd known.."

"What? You'd help poor little orphan Annie whose mother didn't want her and whose father couldn't take her home? Or you'd pity the little boy who's different.."

"No! It's nothing like that Gemma." Lucas shook his head vehemently, his expression one of sorrow.

He reached out and took her by her shoulders fully aware of the tense muscles underneath his hands.

"We're family. You, me, Christopher, all the others..We're nothing like your mother Gemma. I know it'll take time for you to understand that and believe in family like we do but if you give us the chance then you'll see just what an important part of our lives you and Christopher actually are."

Gemma searched his face. Over the years she'd become professional in reading people and knowing of they were lying to her. Her mother had ruined her belief in all things family to the point where her only hope was the care her father had shown her that made her believe there may be something more.

She looked. She was so damn sure he'd crack and his lies would show through. After all, it was what people who made promises did. They all cracked and their ugly side shone through.

She knew if she looked enough that it'd happen. She knew!

"Your mother can't hurt you anymore Gemma. She's never going to get near you again if you don't want it. Your life can be different. We want to get to know you. Please let us."

Her eyes filled with tears. He was telling the truth. She could see the sincerity, the care, the... love? Her tears spilled and she gave in for the first time in what seemed like centuries of years she let her defences down.

Lucas gulped, his own eyes filled with tears and without a thought he pulled Gemma close and whispered words a big brother would use to soothe the heart of a younger sister. He made promises of a better tomorrow that started from today. He promised she would always have her placd in their lives and in their hearts. He promised that she always had doors open for her, they would never close, no matter what happened she and their brother were always welcome.

Marcus stood with his shoulders stiff and hands shoved into his pockets with fingers clenched into two tight fists. He watched as his family all stood with gut wrenching emotions reeking havoc on their faces and in that moment he realised just how much damage his lifestyle had caused. He hated himself for the pain they'd all felt but for Gemma and Christopher he made a silent promise. Never would they be without their family ever again.

He saw Lucas' arms folding against her with a hand stroking her hair as she sobbed. He couldn't hear the words that Lucas was saying but to all that watched it was obvious that this was a life turning moment for both Gemma and Christopher and the rest of his family.

He turned to look at Christopher who had moved his little yellow cars to sit side by side and he felt the painful grip on his heart. The young boy was completely oblivious to what was happening around him. In his own world he was protected by the cruelty in which he'd grown up in. For that, Marcus was thankful but shame filled him as it had never done before and with a forced gulp down on the increasing lump in his throat he whispered words that no one else heard. Words that no one else needed to hear.

"I'm sorry son.'

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

Prejudice By megha patil

Mystery / Thriller

37.2K 4.3K 49
Jay Agarwal A two faced man. he is different in reality from what the world knows him to be. For the world, he is a heart breaker. He is a rich pla...
84.2K 1.8K 33
Lucas Neviera used to be a playboy, laid back, known for breaking hearts and sleeping around, and doing all sorts of things. Now he's 25 and a cold b...
455K 19.6K 84
His name is Jace Ezekiel Black. And to cut the long story short, my family blackmailed him into marrying me. But I wasn't supposed to be the one to...
114K 4K 45
Tim isn't happy with his classification. He keeps insisting the test was wrong. He'll have to live with this classification for a year before he can...