Rogues

Av Caleb_Brosme

Nathan Bryce is the next alpha in line, his pack has lived in River Valley for generations. Caleb Brosme is a... Mer

Chapter I
Chapter II
Chapter III
Chapter IV
Chapter V
Chapter VI
Chapter VII
Chapter VIII
Chapter IX
Chapter X
Chapter XI
Chapter XII
Chapter XIII
Chapter XIV
Chapter XV
Chapter XVI
Chapter XVII
Chapter XVIII
Chapter XIX
Chapter XX
Chapter XXI
Chapter XXII
Chapter XXIII
Chapter XXIV
Chapter XXV
Chapter XXVI
Chapter XXVII
Chapter XXVIII
Chapter XXIX
Chapter XXXI
Chapter XXXII
Chapter XXXIII
Chapter XXXIV
Chapter XXXV
Chapter XXXVI
Chapter XXXVII
Chapter XXXVIII
Chapter XXXIX
Chapter XL
Chapter XLI
Chapter XLII
Chapter XLIII
Chapter XLIV
Chapter XLV
Chapter XLVI
Chapter XLVII
Chapter XLVIII
Chapter XLIX
Chapter L
Chapter LI
Chapter LII
Chapter LIII
Chapter LIV
Chapter LV
Chapter LVI
Chapter LVII
Author's Note

Chapter XXX

285 13 15
Av Caleb_Brosme

- Caleb -

I'm on my way to the crossroad and I can't stop thinking of everything that happened recently. My heart literally sank when I heard the warning howl yesterday. I was patrolling the area, and for no good reason, I just wanted to get out of my house. My dad wasn't there, and Mary was busy with the kids. I tried helping for a while, but I eventually got tired and went for a walk. I decided to patrol the area since the fresh air would do me good. I was walking in the night, feeling the fresh breeze of nightfall, and looking up at the stars when the howl reached my ear. It was far away, almost the other side of River Valley, but I still managed to hear it. This howl was different from the others, my pack has raided enough domestic packs for me to recognize that howl; they were under attack. My immediate thoughts circled around Nathan. I tried calling him, but the call went to voicemail. That's when it hit me, the devastating anguish in my stomach and the dire urge to throw up. I knew something was wrong, Nathan was in danger. Infiltrating River Valley territory without notification could be considered an attack, but I didn't care. Not when Nathan's life was on the line. I ran, I ran as fast as my legs could. The fresh breeze hit my skin faster and colder. I shifted while running, reaping all my clothes apart, and continued running.

I passed the border, and a couple of patrolling wolves saw me and signaled another warning howl, but I just kept running. They couldn't catch m, not at the speed I was running. I've never run that fast before. My feet weren't touching the floor, just swiftly skipping over the ground. I completely lost control when I saw that man on top of Nathan ready to rip and slash his neck. The walls started closing, the light started to fade, and I could only focus on them. I heard someone scream his name in desperation, stopping the wolf to kill my mate. That's when I jumped, I had to get him off Nathan, that was my top priority. I opened my snout wide and crush close, feeling bones snap. I tried getting the neck, but the wolf was smart enough to move out of the way and I bit his shoulder instead. My fangs sank into his flesh, and I wasn't going to let go. I shacked my head ferociously, trying to rip him apart painfully. I was blinded with anger, I wanted him dead, I wanted to kill him miserably and hear him beg for his life. I was forced to let him go, when another wolf threw himself on top of me, biting my shoulder. I threw him off my back and bite his snout. After that, the cowards decided to escape and disappeared into the forest. I felt the urge to go chase them, but the mate bond didn't allow me. I needed to know if Nathan was okay.

***** Memory Flashback *****

- I'm sorry I intruded on your territory. – I said firmly, trying to show them I mean no harm.

- How did you know they were attacking? – Alpha Nathan asked dead serious. He positioned himself in front of Nathan protectively.

- I heard a warning howl on the far, I was on patrol duty. – I explained as calmly as I could. My wolf urged for his mate, but I had to control myself.

- How do we know you're not lying and that's your pack? – Alpha Yannis interrogated harshly.

- Because that's not my alpha. I would've ripped his neck apart. – I answer without hesitation. Right now, I feel like an idiot for not finishing the job.

- Are you okay Nathan? – I ask locking eyes with Nathan and his beautiful green eyes. My heart is pounding like crazy, and my nerves are getting out of control.

- Yeah. – he says out of breath. I can see in his eyes he's terrified. My stomach drops and all I want is to comfort my mate.

- You're bleeding. – I say looking at his torso. He's bleeding like crazy, and it worries me deeply.

- It's not too serious, don't worry. – I tell him.

At this point, I need to hug him, more than he needs me to. My wolf is going crazy, all I want to do is touch him and make sure he's going to be fine. I can see the worry in his eyes. I take a deep breath and relax. I can't make a scene now. My heart aches, but I refuse to listen to my wolf. He growls at me, but I ignore it.

- Are you okay? – he asks, looking at my shoulder. I turn and see a scratch starting from my shoulder and going down my back. I didn't even feel it.

- Yeah, it's just a scratch. – I assure him, so he doesn't worry. It'll heal in a couple of minutes.

- Why did you save my son? – his mother asks more intensely.

- We are neighbors, we should help each other. – I respond firmly. It's not a lie, but it seems to be enough to calm her down and convince her, at least for now.

- Thank you. – Alpha Nathan says with gratitude, and I nod my head respectfully.

***** End of Flashback *****

Remembering that day brings a cold chill down my spine. Not refreshing or soothing, but harsh and paralyzing. I'm scared, Nathan almost died. My stomach drops and my hands grow cold the more think of him gone. My thoughts were brought back to reality as Nathan's face appears in the far. He's wearing some blue jeans with a white hoodie with the school's logo in the center. The instant I see him we rush to each other into a warm embrace. I can feel him shake or maybe it's both of us, so I hug him tighter and take a deep breath, smelling his scent. It helps me calm down, but I don't want to let go of him. We stay like that for a while longer, just clinging to each other not saying a word.

- I don't think I'm letting go anytime soon. – he comments next to my ear, making me chuckle.

- It's okay. I don't want you to. – I answer nicely, with a smile on my face.

- Good, 'cause I'm sleeping here from now on. – he jokes and we laugh.

His embrace is so warm and welcoming, I think we both needed it after last night's events. I can't believe I almost lost him; I don't know what I would've done. We hold tight a while more before we finally let go. We are still close to each other; I can see every shade of green in his eyes, those beautiful green eyes I love so much.

- I'm so glad you're here. – I tell him, holding my voice from breaking.

- I wouldn't be if it weren't for you. Thank you for saving me. – he thanks and his eyes begin to water, making me want to cry too.

- I'm just thankful I got there in time. – I say honestly. I would rather have that wolf dead by now.

- How did you know? – he asks, calming down.

- I heard the warning howl and then I just got a feeling that you were in danger. – I respond as best as I can.

- A feeling? – he asks confused.

- A hunch... I don't know, all I knew was that I had to get to you as fast as possible. – I say, not even understanding it myself.

- Well, you did. You even got there before my pack. – he says chuckling a little.

- Yeah. – I laugh. – I have no idea how I ran so fast. –

- Well, I can't thank you enough. – he says nicely and leans in to kiss me.

Our lips touch and I immediately deepen the kiss, feeling the urge to kiss him passionately. He doesn't complain, wrapping his arms around my neck and mine go to his waist. We kiss passionately for a while; we were longing for this so much we don't deny the intimacy. The rhythm continues for a while, we are making out in the middle of the forest.

- I missed you so much. – he says breaking the kiss.

- I missed you too. I'm never going to let anything bad happen to you, I promise. – I say firmly, I'm going to do my best to honor that promise.

- I love you. – he says. I listen to his heartbeat and he's not lying. This is the first time he's said he loves me. My heart melts. – You don't have to say it back if... – he starts rambling, but I quiet him by smashing our lips together.

- I love you too. – I confess honestly.

He smiles from ear to ear and kisses me again, this time softer. It's amazing how the mate bond has so much influence on a werewolf. I have to admit, before the football game, I thought he was interesting and somewhat cute, but never did I pictured myself falling in love with him. And now, I couldn't be more into him. It's almost impossible to resist the urge to kiss him all day and make him mine. I want to mark him right here and now, but I know that would only bring more problems. We should probably wait until we tell our packs.

- Hey, should I be worried about your father wanting to speak with me? – I ask, genuinely intrigued and a bit frightened.

- Oh, I don't know. I haven't heard anything about it. – he responds honestly.

- Okay. – I say understanding, not feeling any better.

- I wouldn't worry, though. He probably just wants to thank you or something. – he adds calmly.

- Have you told them about us yet? –

- No. He's been very busy with pack stuff. I haven't seen my parents since the attack. – he responds, licking his bottom lip nervously. – You? – he asked worriedly.

- No, I haven't seen my dad since Thursday. – I reply feeling balked.

- It's okay. – he says reassuringly, feeling more relieved. He was probably feeling pressured that I had possibly told my parent while he hasn't.

- Does your parents know you went out? –

- Goddess, no. Since last night's attack, he assigned three wolves to bodyguard me. I had to sneak out my window just to get here. – he says a little dramatically, making me chuckle slightly.

- That's good, you'll be safe that way. – I say more to myself than him.

- Yeah, that's true. – his tone bold and harsh.

It brings me comfort knowing that he'll be protected 24/7. We were lucky last night, the rogues were messing around, if they wanted to, they could've killed them. Nathan clearly doesn't agree, because his eyebrows furrowed, and his scent started getting heavier. He was starting to get upset, but I don't know exactly why. He sighed deeply and broke eye contact, looking vaguely to the side.

- What's wrong? – I ask.

- Nothing. – he says dismissingly, but I can feel his anger.

- Nathan, you can tell me, I won't judge you. – I say calmly and lovingly, putting my arm on his cheek so our eyes meet again. He considers it for a couple of seconds before speaking.

- It's embarrassing, I was so defenseless against that Alpha. He was just playing with me... it infuriates me. I'm so weak. – he spats angrily, some tears forming in his eyes, but he wasn't letting them fall.

- Don't say that. He's an experienced rogue and an Alpha, no less. You defended yourself well enough for backup to arrive. – I tell him firmly.

- That's the thing, I shouldn't need backup. I should be able to take care of myself. – he says bitterly. He is angry with himself.

- Nath... – I'm cut off.

- I shouldn't be an Alpha. – he adds. I listen to his heartbeat; he truly believes it. This makes me angry; how can he say such a thing?

- What are you? – I say more seriously.

- What do you mean? – he asks confused.

- Are you a human or are you a werewolf? – I state firmly.

- Werewolf, why doe... – he starts but I quickly interrupt.

- Then act like one. Wolves are pack animals. We don't hunt alone; we help each other and grow stronger together. You don't have to defeat that Alpha alone. – I tell him firmly, trying to make him understand.

- No, but I don't want to feel helpless either. He humiliated me and made me look like a fool in front of everyone. If I weren't so weak, maybe that man would still be alive. – he exclaims. His emotions are loose, this is the first time I've seen him like this. It is very concerning.

- That man's death was not your fault. – I say kinder, trying to comfort him.

- Yes, it is. He died protecting me; the worst part is that I don't even know his name. I was so scared, I got paralyzed. I didn't know what to do... – he says, a tear falling down his left cheek.

- Nathan, you just started training. – I wipe the tear with my hand, caressing his cheek. – He's an Alpha, he's obviously strong. –

- Yeah, but that didn't stop you from attacking him. You almost killed him; you were strong and brave while I was weak and afraid. – he says, saddened.

- I trained all my life and I was in wolf form, I had the advantage. I don't know how long you fought against him, but you did amazingly. – I say reassuringly, offering a kind smile.

- But I couldn't defeat him... and he escaped. He killed so many people and got away. – he spats under his breath.

It all makes sense now, he's angry at himself for not being strong enough to stop the Alpha. But he's mostly upset because people died, members of his pack. When a pack member dies it's very depressing, the whole pack can feel the sorrow. He feels responsible for all those people and their families. That's a lot of pressure to carry alone.

- Have you ever lost anyone before? – I ask lowly after some seconds. He looks up at me, with sad eyes.

- No. – he says dismally. – I mean, people have died before but never murdered. –

- I'm sorry. – I tell him and hug him.

His hands wrap around my torso and hold me, clinging to me like a baby koala. He cries into my neck. I don't say anything, letting him cry it out. He needs to let it out. I can feel him hurting, it's tough to lose someone. I can feel his cold hands even through my T-shirt, so I caress his back softly, trying to comfort him. He can't think everything is his fault. That pack was going to attack whether he was there or not. They would have killed anyone who crossed their paths. It surprises me that Alpha Nathan took so long to find his son. I was certainly farther away and got at the same time.

- It's going to be okay. – I tell him.

- I want him to pay. – he says in my embrace.

- He will, I promise you. – I say and let go of him. – I think I know who they are. – I tell him more seriously.

- Who? -

- Whitlock pack. I didn't recognize the alpha at first, but his Beta in Command is impossible to mistake. – I tell him.

- That 6'9'' giant is the Beta in Command? – he asks, impressed.

- Yeah. – I chuckle lightly.

- I don't understand, I thought they were in the south. – he says troubled.

- They mostly keep south; something must've brought them here. – I say, wondering what it might be. – Whatever it is, we need to be careful. I'll be more comfortable knowing you have three bodyguards behind your back. – I tell him, trying to make him agree to his father's decision.

- I don't like being babysat. – he complains.

- It will only be until the situation cools down. – I affirm him, it won't be that long.

- That won't help me improve. That will only make me look weaker in front of the pack. – he says frustrated.

- No because I'll teach you how to fight. – I say firmly.

- What? Seriously? – he asked baffled by my suggestion.

- Well, I've been teaching you this far, and I doubt combat training will be any more difficult. – I say a little mockingly, easing the situation. He chuckles.

- Give me a chance, I'm sure I'll impress you. – he says upbeat and laughs.

- Now that's the Nathan I know. – I say, and pull him in.

We kiss again, this time my tongue asks for permission, and he gladly opens his mouth. Our tongues fight for dominance, as we continue making out. He may be an Alpha, but ain't no way I'm letting him control this kiss. I can feel his breath on my skin, he tastes like mango. Maybe he enjoys eating mango, I'll bring him one next time we meet. We continue kissing each other passionately when my nose catches a scent. Nathans pouts a little when I break the kiss.

- What is it? – he asks concerned.

- I smelled something. – I explain vaguely, trying to concentrate more.

- From where? – he asks, and I point left.

Nathan seems to concentrate because he quiets down and doesn't ask any further questions. The scent is vague, almost imperceptible. Whoever it was, made sure to cover the scent before they left. It troubles me, this is the peace zone between our packs. This means that if the Whitlock were here, they were closer to my pack than I thought. But it can't be them, I passed through here last night and I didn't feel anything. Of course, I was so worried about Nathan that it could've gone past me. I look around the area, searching for any indication. There are no footprints, but some flowers were stepped on a couple of feet away. I smell the plants; the smell is strong and fresh. It was recently, no more than an hour ago.

- It's recent. – Nathan says, looking at the plants.

- Yeah. – I agree.

- That means that they might still be around. – he says looking around. – Could it be the Whitlock's? – he asks, and I hear his heart beat faster.

- No, they would've attacked by now. – I say lowly, calming him down. – They wouldn't risk coming here after last night. This was someone else. –

- Is that... cologne? – he says, catching a scent. I focus on the direction he's looking. He's right, it does smell fancy and sweet. – I smelled that before, I think that's Jake's cologne. –

I look around and focus on my hearing to see if there is anyone around. There are birds, squirrels, insects, and many forest animals around, but I can't hear any person or werewolf. If he was here, he's long gone by now. There's a rose petal on the floor, that's odd. Roses don't grow near this place. I pick it up and take a sniff.

- What would Jake come here? – he wonders.

- I don't think he was alone. – I say, recognizing the scent. I turn and hand him the petal.

- I don't recognize the smell.

- It's Maya's. – I say without a doubt.

- Don't they hate each other? What would they be doing here? –

- I can't tell, the cologne is too strong to distinguish any emotion. – I sigh, the scent was covered well, I don't know in what direction they ran off.

- You don't think. – he trails off, not finishing the sentence.

- What? – I ask, intrigued. He waits some seconds before speaking.

- You don't think they are mates, do you? – he says doubtfully.

- Mates? Maya hates your pack, no offense. – I tell him.

- Yeah, but why else would they meet here at the crossroad? We always meet here, and we are mates. No one else needs to come here. –

- That doesn't mean... –

- Besides, her scent is in a rose petal. Jake's mom loves gardening, I'm pretty sure she has roses in her garden. – he points out.

That would make a lot of sense. Maya would never socialize with a domestic just because, but still, for her and Jake to be mates. That's almost unbelievable. That also explains why she was late on Thursday with pack training. Luke told me that she was hanging out with me, but she wasn't. Maybe she was out with Jake and lost track of time, like Nathan and me. She hasn't said anything to anyone. I doubt Luke knows a thing; he hates Jake after pulling that prank on his sister.

- Guess we aren't the only relationship. – I say. The more I consider the idea, the more sense it makes.

- I can't believe it. – he says astonished.

- Yeah, neither can I. –

Maya is a healer, which means that if we both leave the Lazarus pack, it will be weakened immensely. If Jake's her mate, then that means he also knows about her. Alaric will never allow her to leave. It would be foolish to hand over a healer that easily. Jake is most likely to leave the pack, but I don't think he'll want to. He's going to try and convince Maya first. This could lead to some serious problems. Maybe I should speak with her and make sure she's okay.

- You said that Nadia knows about us, right? – I ask.

- Yeah. – he says lowly.

- Did you tell her that Maya and I were never truly dating? – I question more worried.

- Not specifically like that. I told her you guys are werewolves and that you are my mate. Why? – he asks and immediately realizes the issue.

- She could've told Maya about us. – I say.

- No... she wouldn't. I told her not to say anything. – he says. – Right? –

-------------------

Picture of the rogues at the top, again. 

Klyn Whitlock - Rogue Alpha

Tybalt Alston - Beta in Command

Note: The story is about to get quicker in the next chapters. I really want to finish this book before winter break is over hahaha.

Fortsett å les

You'll Also Like

523K 19.7K 69
Easton Knight is your stereotypical Alpha. Extremely handsome with a deep voice, broad shoulders, and a sleeky tall figure. But he is also ruthless...
695K 30.9K 31
Micah wanted nothing but to finish the last year of highschool so that he could take his father's place as Alpha. What happens when he finds out that...
Rogue Av Hollie

Romantikk

50.7K 1.5K 32
Rogues were a species that were hated by many, some born as a rogue, some leaving their old packs because of their Alpha and some kicked out of their...
249K 9.6K 48
Trevor Harrington is a normal human boy of 18yrs old with three brothers and a 10yrs old nephew living a not so normal lives because his two twin bro...