Rogues

By Caleb_Brosme

Nathan Bryce is the next alpha in line, his pack has lived in River Valley for generations. Caleb Brosme is a... More

Chapter I
Chapter II
Chapter III
Chapter IV
Chapter V
Chapter VI
Chapter VII
Chapter VIII
Chapter IX
Chapter X
Chapter XI
Chapter XII
Chapter XIII
Chapter XIV
Chapter XV
Chapter XVI
Chapter XVII
Chapter XVIII
Chapter XIX
Chapter XX
Chapter XXI
Chapter XXII
Chapter XXIV
Chapter XXV
Chapter XXVI
Chapter XXVII
Chapter XXVIII
Chapter XXIX
Chapter XXX
Chapter XXXI
Chapter XXXII
Chapter XXXIII
Chapter XXXIV
Chapter XXXV
Chapter XXXVI
Chapter XXXVII
Chapter XXXVIII
Chapter XXXIX
Chapter XL
Chapter XLI
Chapter XLII
Chapter XLIII
Chapter XLIV
Chapter XLV
Chapter XLVI
Chapter XLVII
Chapter XLVIII
Chapter XLIX
Chapter L
Chapter LI
Chapter LII
Chapter LIII
Chapter LIV
Chapter LV
Chapter LVI
Chapter LVII
Author's Note

Chapter XXIII

263 12 2
By Caleb_Brosme

- Alaric -

- Come in. – I say to the knock on the door of my work studio.

I woke up at 6 in the morning and haven't stopped working since. I'm organizing some paperwork for the construction of a new power plant for the town. Alpha Nathan did a lot to help us settle down next to River Valley. That included building houses, schools, and a power plant to supply the town's electricity. There's so much work, I need to make sure there's enough food and water for everyone, and only half of the water pipelines are up and running. There's just so much work, I'm drowning in paperwork. I hate it so much. Convel is of great help, he oversees all the construction projects and makes sure to notify the progress. Gregory is completely in charge of security for the moment, so I don't have to worry about it. He's more than capable of handling any situation. Besides, he is always quick to let me know about any problems.

- Are you busy? – Allan's face emerges.

- Yes, but what can I help you with? – I say, facing the paperwork again.

- Do you need any help with that? – he offers kindly.

- No, it's just paperwork. – I say firmly. I'm searching through loads of paper trying to find the construction plans but can't seem to find them.

- I haven't seen you in a while. – he says.

- That's why you came, to say hi? I have more important things to do right now Allan. – I tell him boldly. I'm not trying to be disrespectful; I just have a lot on my plate now. Here there are, I find the papers.

- You're right, I'm sorry. I won't distract you. – he says, turning around.

- Wait. - I rest on the chair and stretch my back. A break would be fine and he's my best friend, I should listen to him. – Is everything all right? – I ask, looking at him directly.

- Yes, I wanted to see how you were doing. – he says kindly.

- I'm fine. There are just a lot of things to do; we need another power plant, the pipelines aren't completely functional, there were some problems with the food supply and there have been more scouts' sightings. – I explain, filling him in on the situation.

- Wow, that sounds tough. – he says.

- It is. – I admit. - And then there is Nymeria, don't get me started on her. – I sigh frustrated, bringing my hands to my forehead.

- Oh, right, the whole suitor hunt. How is that going? – he says a little humorously.

- She's not talking to me. – I tell him, and he chuckles.

- I imagined she wasn't. –

- She skips classes, she doesn't follow orders, and whenever I try to speak with her, she shuts me out. I don't understand why you decided to have more kids. – I replied, frustrated.

- Hahahaha. – he laughs. – Kids are like that, Rick. They eventually come around. – he says reassuringly.

- Easy for you to say. Your son has always listened to you. – I tell him.

- Oh, trust me, I have another three kids. One of which is an 11-year-old girl driving me crazy. – he replies, making me laugh. Sons are just so much easier than daughters.

- It's different. You have Mary to hear you and help you out. I don't. – I say a little more vulnerable.

- I know... - he says lowly, respectfully. – You can always talk to me, you know? And I'm also happy to help in anything I can. – he offers kindly.

- Thanks. - I nod in response. He's always been a good friend.

- Actually, I think I have a solution for one of your problems. – he says. I frown.

- What do you mean? – I simply ask confused.

- Before I say anything, just hear me out first... –

- Allan. – I say more seriously, starting to get tired.

- It's about the suitor's situation. –

- Okay. – I say shortly.

- I think I know someone who would be perfect to marry Nymeria. – he says. I gesture for him to sit down on the chair, and he does. I don't say anything, waiting for him to elaborate. - Caleb. – he says a little anxious.

I thought he was going to say anyone else. He can't be serious. Caleb's the future Beta in Command, he can't marry Nymeria. He knows this, why would he suggest his son marry my daughter? They've known each other since kids, they're best friends. I give him a disapproving look, not agreeing with the idea.

- Hear me out. – he says but I interrupt him.

- He's the future Beta in Command, not some wolf from another pack. – I snark, it's foolish of him to suggest such a thing.

- I know, but he could... - he tries speaking but I stop him once again.

- He's the best wolf I've seen. – I tell him firmly.

- And he can be the best Alpha you've seen, by Nymeria's side. – he says with a serious tone. I look into his eyes, studying his every movement.

- Continue. – I say dismissingly, not convinced at all.

- I know he's the future Beta in Command. I've trained with him all his life; I know what he's capable of. You've seen him too. He's strong, smart, decisive... I think he would make an amazing Alpha. – he points out.

Caleb is an amazing wolf. He is strong and smart and decisive, just like Allan says. From a very young age, he started excelling at everything. By age 12, he was defeating wolves five or six years older than him. The kid is unnatural. It's only logical considering his parents and he's only grown better over the years. But that doesn't mean he's alpha material, he's been training for Beta all his life. I was happy and relieved when he won the tournament, I truly was. He's going to be the best Beta in Command this pack has ever seen.

- Fine, let's imagine I agreed to it. I'd be losing a great wolf for the next Beta in Command. – I told him gravely. - I'd only be weakening the pack. –

- No, you wouldn't because he'd still be helping from the Alpha position. – he says.

- Beta in Command and Alpha Male are different positions. Caleb's the best for the Beta, but I'm not so sure about the Alpha. There are more qualified wolfs for that. – I tell him respectfully yet firmly.

- Like whom? – he questions.

If wolves heard him, anyone would think he was challenging me. I know him so know otherwise, but he should watch his tone. He's allowed to talk to me like this when we're alone because we're friends and I care for him. If he did that in front of others, I'd have to scold him. He knows better than to challenge me in front of the pack.

- I don't know... - I admit.

- I know you're concerned for the future of this pack but trust me, Caleb has what it takes to be an Alpha. – he assures me. – You could make Dyrus the Beta in Command, Convel always wanted that. You'll have them both happy and Gregory can help you assign another Gamma. – he furthers the thought.

I sigh deeply, contemplating the idea. I don't know, Dyrus has great military training, he would be more useful as a Gamma, but he did always want to be a Beta. Convel trained him specifically for it, just like Allan trained his son. They pushed each other to become better and, in the end, Caleb won. I also have to consider the fact that we just settled. A military strategy won't be as essential because we'll no longer be raiding villages. We do have to protect ourselves, but that requires a different strategy. Allan's idea starts making more sense. It's still very risky, though.

- Why tell me this now? – I wonder. He's never suggested or implied that Caleb becomes an Alpha. Never, not once.

- I saw them the other day on Caleb's birthday. They weren't doing anything bad, just hugging, but I thought I sensed something. I think there might be something more between them. – he confesses. I listen closely to his heartbeat, it's steady.

I don't know what to think. What he's suggesting would affect this pack immensely. It worries me deeply. And I'm also offended that my daughter purposedly arrived late to the dinner just to avoid me.

- Maybe your daughter's upset because she's marrying someone she doesn't want to. – he says smoothly.

- She's angry because I'm forcing her to marry someone to become an Alpha. – I say firmly. I know my daughter; she'd still be angry even if she were marrying for love. – There's no mating bond. They've known each other all their lives, don't you think it would've formed by now? – I ask.

- We both know there's more than one way to find your mate. – he simply says. He has a point.

- Fine, I'll think about it. – I tell him. I don't want to rush any decisions. Besides, I need to get my daughter to speak to me again first.

- Okay. – he mods, pleased with my decision. – Do you need any help? – he asks again. I decline and ask him to leave. I should get back to work.

Allan's visit left me thinking, he could be right about Nymeria and Caleb. The rest of the day and evening went by like that, I continued working on the construction plans and addressed possible failures. Convel passed by at 16:00 to notify me of the pipelines. It looks like there's yet another problem. The welding of two pieces went wrong and will have to be done again. Why can't things just go the way they're supposed to? Thankfully, Gregory didn't have bad news, no scouts, no markings, nothing. That's reassuring. At least I won't have to worry about an attack this week.

I've been so caught up in homework I didn't notice the sun was starting to set, it's getting dark. There's still so much to do. I massage my forehead, trying to relax a little. It looks like an all-nighter, again. I hear a knock on my door, they don't wait for me to respond before opening it. I'm about to scold the person when I see Nymeria making her way in holding a plate in one hand and a glass of lemonade in the other.

- Brought you dinner. – she simply says, walking toward me.

- Thanks, leave it there. – I gesture to a clean spot on the desk away from the papers.

She completely ignores me and makes her way around the desk, putting the plate and glass of lemonade on top of the papers. Why can't she just listen to me? The smell of stake with rice and sweet potatoes fills the room, it smells good.

- I told you to... – I try to speak but she interrupts me.

- If I leave the plate there, you'll just forget it and the food will get cold. So, you won't eat it and just go to sleep. – she snarks.

- That was just yesterday. – I say. I forgot to eat last night, she must've found the plate full and got upset.

- And the day before that and last week on Wednesday and Saturday. – she moves to the chair in front and sits down. – I'm not leaving until you finish it. – she says firmly.

I sigh and lift the plate to clear the area. I grab the cutlery and start cutting the meat. I give up, there's no point in complaining. She looks pleased by it. She's just like her mother; whenever they made up their mind, there's no changing it. The food tastes good, the stake is just like I like it, medium term. I continue eating in silence, she's only watching me carefully, not saying a word. The small frown on her face tells me she's still angry with me. I finish eating the meal and she stands to pick up the plate.

- The lemonade. – she gestures to the filled glass. I grab it and drink it in one sip. She takes it away after that and turns to leave.

- Nymeria, wait. – I say, and she stops before reaching the door. She turns to face me with a blank stare.

- Yes? Do you want more? – she asks. I shake my head and motion for her to sit down again. She reluctantly agrees and lays the plates on the desk.

- I want to talk to you. – I start and she's looking at me expectantly. – I want to talk about your marriage. – she immediately rolls her eyes and sighs in frustration. – Don't start, we have to talk about it. – I tell her seriously.

- Yeah, right. – she says upset, shaking her head from side to side. She must be controlling her scent because I can't smell how she feels.

- Nymeria. – I say firmly.

- Just tell me whom I'm marrying. I'll have to do it either way. – she says angrily.

- I haven't decided yet. I wanted to ask for your insight. – I say, trying to ease the situation.

- How about... - she pauses, thinking a little. - No one. – she says. Why is she so stubborn? I'm trying to do what's best for her.

- Nymeria... - I say tiredly.

- No dad, why do I have to marry to become an Alpha? It's not fair. – she complains, her tone rising.

- Because it's tradition. Everyone has done it; the first alpha did it, your grandfather did it, and I did it. It's not the end of the world Nymeria. – I say firmly.

- No, but it's going to ruin my entire life. You don't understand because you married for love! – she says fiercely. I control myself not to yell at her, she would just leave, and I'd end up in the same situation.

- That's why I'm asking you whom you want to marry. – I say calmly, taking a deep breath to control myself. - There are a lot of good suitors, there's Tyler, Conan, Brady... - I list a few.

- They're six years older than me. – she says.

- So? – I say and she gives me a disgusted look. Fine. – Okay, someone your age. It could be Nile, Gael, or Dante. – I suggest.

- I'm not interested in any of them. – she exclaims upset.

- Okay, maybe... - I pause thinking of someone, and she rolls her eyes dramatically. - I don't... how about Caleb? – I say. She was about to exclaim something angrily but stops and looks at me confused.

- Caleb is the future Beta in Command. Why would you say that? – she asks with a calmer tone. I notice how she didn't reject the idea.

- It was just a thought. – I say and she looks at me confused and intrigued. – You didn't say no. – I say and she looks away. – You're interested in him. – Allan was right.

- He's better as a Beta, he's trained for that all his life. It wouldn't be smart. – she says. I'm impressed at how calm she's being.

- Nymeria. – I stand up from my chair and move to the one next to hers. I want to be closer to her. I sit down slowly. – I know... - she interrupts me.

- Why the sudden change of heart? – she asks, looking straight into my eyes.

- Allan stopped by today and made some very strong points about how Caleb could be a good Alpha Male. – I say honestly. She nods looking away, processing the information. I wait some seconds before adding. – He also mentioned there might be something between you. -

Her head shoots back at me, bewildered by what I said. Her eyes are open wide, she's studying me. Her heart starts speeding up for a second, before going back to normal. She really cares deeply for him.

- I... don't know what to say. – she says timidly.

- Why didn't you tell me you had feelings for him? – I ask.

- When, dad? You immediately named him the future Beta in Command after he won the tournament. You never asked for my advice. – she says softly.

She's right, I was so caught up in the moment that I never stopped to ask her. He's such a strong boy, he has everything to become the best Beta in Command this pack will ever see. I guess a part of me wanted him to win and become one. I should've asked Nymeria how she felt. Maybe she would've told me about her feelings for him. I never suspected anything of them. They've known each other all their lives, I thought the mating bond would've formed by then. I never thought she had feelings for him.

- I'm sorry. – I apologize, it's long overdue.

- It doesn't matter. There's no mating bond, we can't marry. – she says.

- You can if I say so. – I tell her, and she looks at me astonished and maybe even a little hopeful. She shakes her head.

- But... - she says but I quickly interrupt her already knowing what she's going to ask.

- The mating bond can form with the ceremonial ritual. – I tell her.

- What? How? – she asks confused; she didn't know about this.

- The wedding's ceremonial ritual ensures the mating bond, even if there wasn't one before.

She's at a loss for words, not knowing what to say. Her eyes are looking at me, they are beginning to water a little. She looks down at her hands, playing a little with them, considering the situation.

- Nymeria... - I say. – I know we've grown apart after your mother died, partly because of me. But I do love you and want what's best for you. – I tell her meaningfully.

Her eyes immediately begin to water when I mentioned her mother. Naya's death was hard on the whole pack. We've never talked about it; I don't think I can. It happened so long ago, but the wound still feels fresh. The only reason a kept going on was because of Nymeria. I can't leave her alone. I just want her to be safe and happy.

- I love you too dad. – she says, wiping the tear from her eyes.

- So, if you want to marry Caleb, I'm okay with it. I'll support you, no matter what. – I say and she smiles at me.

- Thanks, dad. But I don't know if he likes me like that. – she confesses, I can smell anguish.

- Well, then you'll have to ask him. – I tell her gently.

- What if he doesn't want to marry me? – she says worriedly.

- I'll force him to marry you. – I tell her, and she chuckles a laugh. I love her laugh; I haven't heard it in a while.

- Hahahahha, thanks dad. That would be romantic. – she jokes, I smile although I don't know why she's joking. I'm being serious.

- I still have work to do, so, think about it – I say standing up and heading toward my chair.

- You're kidding, right? – she asks a little confused.

- Shut the door on your way out. – I tell her, I need some peace to get things done.

- Dad? – she asks, and I turn to face her.

- What? – I ask. She studies my face carefully, not saying anything for some seconds.

- Don't go to sleep late. Overworking won't do you any good. – she says nicely, changing subjects. - Good night, dad. – she says, picking up the plates and leaving.

- Good night. – I say and hear the door close behind her.

No, it won't but it will help the pack. Naya was the same, she hated when I worked late. We would bicker for hours about it. I smile, remembering those good days. Sometimes, it's hard to remember what she looked like; every time I try to picture Naya, Nymeria's face comes to mind. Nymeria takes after her mother. She can be stubborn at times, but I love that child with all my heart. It's a shame she had to grow up without a mother.

Naya...I'm doing my best to take care of her. I miss you so much and I want to see youagain, but my work here is still not done. I just hope that you're proud of meand Nymeria. She takes after you. I sigh, I think that was a step in the rightdirection with Nymeria. Okay, now, time to work. Where was I?

--------------

Picture of Convel at the top

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

43.6K 1.7K 28
Branson Williams, it's his last year in school, and he finds out who his mate is this year. He is openly gay, so he's not surprised when his mate tur...
937K 42.4K 72
In a single moment, Simon's life had turned upside down. Homeless, packless, rejected, and without his beloved family, Simon had lost all he's known...
203K 6.5K 12
[BxB] ✔️ Before turning 18 years old, Alpha wolves will celebrate their "Lunar Week", a period of time in which they can enjoy life and go all out be...
92.8K 3.9K 81
Alistair is a rogue werewolf. Born into this condition, he lives with his family the nomadic life, always traveling and never settling down in one pl...