Sycamore Tree {Complete}

By rainbowkiller0

The Queen is dead and her best friend is angry. Elowen Redfort, Queen Aemma's Lady-in-waiting and close... More

Part One
Prologue
Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Part Two
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty-One
Chapter Twenty-Two
Chapter Twenty-Three
Chapter Twenty-Four
Chapter Twenty-Five
Chapter Twenty-Six
Chapter Twenty-Seven
Chapter Twenty-Eight
Chapter Twenty-Nine
Chapter Thirty
Part Three
Chapter Thirty-One
Chapter Thirty-Two
Chapter Thirty-Three
Chapter Thirty-Four
Chapter Thirty-Five
Chapter Thirty-Six
Chapter Thirty-Seven
Part Four
Chapter Thirty-Eight
Chapter Thirty-Nine
Chapter Forty
Chapter Forty-One
Chapter Forty-Two
Chapter Forty Three
Chapter Forty-Four
Chapter Forty-Five
Chapter Forty-Six
Chapter Forty-Seven
Chapter Forty-Eight
Chapter Forty-Nine
Epilogue

Chapter Three

7.9K 266 10
By rainbowkiller0

The next day the members of King Viserys's court and the visiting noble houses took their places surrounding Queen Aemma and Prince Baelon's pyres. As a thanks for her service to the crown, Elowen was allowed to stand with the royal family, though if Elowen had to guess she had Rhaenyra to thank. The Princess had not strayed far from her Aunt's side over the past day, and even now she held tightly to Elowen's hand as if afraid she too would disappear.

The location chosen for the Queen's funeral was beautiful, a cliff side overlooking the Black Sea. The sounds of the waves crashing and the smell of salt water filled the air. Aemma would've loved it. The former Queen adored open fields, often speaking of their childhood in the Vale together. The two would often take strolls and picnics in the fields surrounding the dragon pit as Rhaenyra flew through the sky. Spending the time speaking of the future of the kingdom. Aemma would soothe Elowen as time passed and no child grew in her womb, and after the maesters had declared her barren Aemma had held her close and wiped tears from Elowen's eyes. Elowen would laugh and tease Aemma over her worry about Rhaenyra, She would pull Aemma from the Red Keep's walls and hold her after another babe was lost.

But there would be no more picnics. No more reading books together. No more laughing at Aemma as she stressed over Rhaenyra flying on Syrax. No more talks of the future. No more inside jokes. No more Aemma.

Elowen was ripped from her spiraling thoughts as Prince Daemon stepped forward, coming just behind Elowen and Rhaenyra's shoulder.

"They're waiting for you." He whispered.

And though the two continued in High Valyrian, Elowen could tell it was most likely at the King's expense. The brunette reached for Rhaenyra's hand giving it a supportive squeeze, trying to bring her niece some semblance of comfort. The Princess sent a grateful look to her Aunt before glancing at where her father stood all alone.

Elowen followed Rhaenyra's line of sight, her eyes hardening at the sight of Viserys mourning the woman whose death he had ordered. She vaguely felt Rhaenyra slip from her hold before the young teen had returned, crumbling into Elowen's open arms. Elowen's eyes slipped from the King's form, before sweeping over Rhaenyra and landing on the burning pyres behind her.

Aemma was gone, she was truly gone.

★・・・・・・★

Sleep had not come for Elowen that night. She tried to stay perfectly still while sobs shook her frame, trying to claw its way out of her chest and escape into the night air. Her husband laid beside her, loud snores spilling from his lips. Lord Richard Redfort had returned to his marriage bed in the Red Keep from Flea Bottom like he did every night. He had no condolences to offer his wife, not that Elowen expected them anymore. She had long since grown complacent in the marriage, it was easier to do as he wished than argue. She had found the bruises faded quicker that way.

Her whole body ached, and a soreness radiated from between her legs as she quietly slipped from between the sheets. She quickly grabbed her dressing gown, making sure it was secured before she snuck from her chambers.

The halls were dark and empty, no servants scattered around and no guards stood at their post. The entirety of the Red Keep was in mourning. It was eerie how quiet it was, the only sound Elowen could hear was her own footsteps. As if her body was not her own, Elowen found herself before a familiar pair of doors.

It had been only two days ago she had been running late and had ran into the room excited to see her dearest friend. Elowen's hand reached out, pressing against the cold wood of the door. She briefly considered opening the doors, but quickly decided against it. She had no idea if the room had been cleaned, and she didn't want to risk seeing the scene of Aemma's murder again. If she closed her eyes Elowen could still see the fear and betrayal clear in Aemma's eyes as her husband ordered her death, holding her down as she was cut open.

At the thought of the King's cruelty, Elowen's eyes turned to the nearby doorway. Her mind seemed to clear as her feet carried her to the door. She nodded to the King's Guard standing watch. As he pushed the door open the knight announced her. "Lady Elowen Redfort, Your Grace."

Viserys looked up from where he sat hunched over his stone model of Old Valyria. Quickly pocketing whatever had been in his hand, the older man's face morphed into one of surprise as he stood up. "Elowen?"

"I wished to speak with you, Your Grace," Elowen's eyes darted to a chair opposite of Viserys, realizing Rhaenyra's companion sat there. Alicent's hair had been twisted up, exposing her slender neck and making her appear more mature. As Elowen realized what was happening, her eyes darted between the young teen and the King, a man who was seven years Elowen's senior. "Alicent, would you give His Grace and I a moment to speak, I have something private I wished to discuss."

Alicent's eyes were wide as she jumped to her feet and rushed from the room, hastily wishing the King goodbye.

"What can I do for you, Elowen?" Viserys asked, curious as to what his wife's companion could need from him.

"May I speak plainly, my King?" Elowen asked now that they were alone. The hem of her dressing gown brushed against the stone floor as she moved further into the room. Her finger trailing along the edge of the table that the stone model sat upon as she met the King in the middle of the room.

"Elowen, after your many years of service to my family and your close relation to my wife I would hope you know you could say anything to me." Viserys spoke, smiling kindly at his late wife's cousin.

"Are you happy?"

"Excuse me?"

"With your choice?" Elowen clarified. "Are you happy?" At Viserys' surprised stare Elowen continued. "I was there when you ordered Aemma to be cut open. I watched as you helped hold her down while she begged for you to help her."

"I did not have my wife killed." Viserys seethed. "It was a difficult decision to make, not one that I would expect you to understand. It is a wife's duty to provide an heir, I need an heir to secure my line and protect the realm. It was a difficult choice but I believed it to be necessary."

"I understand plenty, Your Grace. However, I would have made the choice to save my wife. The woman I claimed to love! That I swore in the eyes of the Seven I would protect!"

"I could not allow Daemon to be king, he would beggar the realm. It is my duty as King to have a male heir."

"And what of your duties as a husband?" Elowen stepped closer, raising her voice as she met Viserys's ire and settled a harsh glare on him.

"If you need the next Targaryen to sit the Iron Throne to come from your line so badly, you should have considered your daughter. Rhaenyra has been your Cupbearer for years. The people of the realm adore her. Have her as your heir."

"And start a civil war? Think for a moment, Elowen," By this point the two stood toe to toe. If either had taken a deep breath their chests would have touched. "I did what I had to do for the sake of the kingdom and I lost both of them. Aemma was my wife and Baelon was my son, so tell me again what you would've done given the choice to try and save one, Lady Redfort?"

All was silent for a moment as both of them took in the space left between them. The tension drained from them, as their grief flooded back.

"You took her from me," Elowen whispered, tears welling in her eyes. "My dear cousin is gone all because of you and your need for an heir!" Elowen's hand slapped Viserys' chest as her anger returned, mixing with her grief until it was a churning sickness.

Viserys caught the wrist of the hand that had landed on his chest, holding it tightly as he caught the other. "I'm sorry. And I shouldn't have said that to you."

And with that Elowen's resolve crumbled, collapsing into a fit of tears against his chest. Viserys held her close as his own tears clouded his eyes and he moved the two of them to an empty chaise in the corner of the room.

"It's hard to believe she is gone. She was just here."

"I know, I know. I regret it so much."

And though both felt that they were missing a piece of themselves where Aemma used to be they found that the vacancies in the other almost filled their own hole.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

39.5K 1.2K 45
As the granddaughter of an exiled Targaryen, Viserra has always craved connection to those who also share the blood of the dragon. Summoned from Esso...
80.1K 3.5K 33
The Lannisters are getting a queen on the throne but they have ulterior motives behind wanting a crown. But doesn't everyone? But Aelsa Lannister se...
175K 6.1K 29
Upon the death of her Lord Husband, Enora Hightower returned to the Red Keep. The eldest daughter of the Hand arrived just in time to attend the tour...
49.6K 1.6K 19
༆᯾𑁍 π…πšπ₯𝐬𝐞 𝐆𝐨𝐝𝐬 ( UNDER EDITING RN ( nothing major just spelling mistakes ) "To that bloodshed, crimson clover. The worst was...