Rogues

Od Caleb_Brosme

Nathan Bryce is the next alpha in line, his pack has lived in River Valley for generations. Caleb Brosme is a... Více

Chapter I
Chapter II
Chapter III
Chapter IV
Chapter V
Chapter VI
Chapter VII
Chapter VIII
Chapter IX
Chapter X
Chapter XI
Chapter XII
Chapter XIII
Chapter XIV
Chapter XV
Chapter XVI
Chapter XVII
Chapter XIX
Chapter XX
Chapter XXI
Chapter XXII
Chapter XXIII
Chapter XXIV
Chapter XXV
Chapter XXVI
Chapter XXVII
Chapter XXVIII
Chapter XXIX
Chapter XXX
Chapter XXXI
Chapter XXXII
Chapter XXXIII
Chapter XXXIV
Chapter XXXV
Chapter XXXVI
Chapter XXXVII
Chapter XXXVIII
Chapter XXXIX
Chapter XL
Chapter XLI
Chapter XLII
Chapter XLIII
Chapter XLIV
Chapter XLV
Chapter XLVI
Chapter XLVII
Chapter XLVIII
Chapter XLIX
Chapter L
Chapter LI
Chapter LII
Chapter LIII
Chapter LIV
Chapter LV
Chapter LVI
Chapter LVII
Author's Note

Chapter XVIII

255 11 5
Od Caleb_Brosme

- Nathan -

- Nathan! – Caleb's loud calling brought me back to reality.

- I'm sorry. What did you say? – I asked startled and a little embarrassed.

- What's with you today? You're acting weird. – he stated with a slightly upset tone.

I haven't been able to stop thinking of Ilene and Marcus. All day and all night I continue to rewind that day, and how unjust things turned out. I've been like this all day today as well, not able to concentrate the least in classes.

- I'm sorry, what did you want to tell me? – I said focusing on him.

- I think it's better if we work on this another day. – he said closing his notebook.

No one had to tell me twice. Chemistry is probably the last thing I want to do right now. I have no mind about it. Honestly, I feel a bit bad for making Caleb stay and work on the project.

- Do you want to talk about it? – he offered concerned.

- I already did with Mason and Kaya. Didn't help much. – I say harshly, upset.

- Okay, I'll leave you to it then. – he said, starting to pack his stuff.

- I'm sorry, I didn't mean to be rude. I'm just upset. Shouldn't have taken it out on you. – I apologize for my behavior.

- It's fine, don't worry. – he said calmly, still putting away his things.

- Don't go. – the words slipped my mouth.

- You need some time alone, it's fine, everyone does, I'm not upset. – he says looking straight at me. He's not angry or resented. Then he turned back to his backpack and fixed his notebook inside.

- Cal, stay... please. – I say and take a deep breath.

- Is everything okay? – he asks, genuinely concerned.

- It's just I argued with my father. – I begin explaining, he's looking at me expectantly. – There was a conflict a couple of days with Marcus and Ilene. – I say. I stop to try and organize my thoughts before getting to the details.

- I'll pretend like I know who they are. – he says making me chuckle a little.

- Sorry, Marcus is a werewolf a year older than us, and Ilene was his girlfriend. They started dating at about the same time as Nadia and me. – I fill him in a little. – Marcus attacked Noland, his best friend in front of Ilene. She's human and didn't know about werewolves, so it was quite shocking for her. -

- Oh, what a terrible way to find out. – he said, genuinely feeling bad for her.

- Yeah, Noland was heavily injured, but he's fine now. The problem is that my father decided to take Ilene's memory away. They messed with it so she'd forget about the incident and think Marcus and her broke up. –

- Keep going. – he said expectantly.

- My dad took Ilene's memory and forced her to think she broke up with Marcus just because her parents didn't like him dating a human. – I spat out.

- Okay, so? – he asked nonchalantly.

What? What does he mean by "so"? My father erased 19-year-old teenager memories like it was nothing and didn't even stop to consider a different option. Just to please someone else's wishes. How can he not see it?

- What do you mean? – I asked starting to get a bit upset with him. – What he did was wrong. It's fucked up, no one should have that power over someone else. I tried convincing him otherwise but he wouldn't listen. He just did it either way! – I exclaimed.

Good thing we decided to study at some tables behind the football field, otherwise everyone would've heard my burst at the library. It's late, so football practice is over, and the athletics team usually decides to jog elsewhere. We've been coming back here quite often since it's the only spot-on campus where we can study and train werewolf skills alone. We only go to the library for books and stuff like that for our chemistry project.

- Yeah, so what?– he said firmly.

- What? - I am dumbfounded. - My dad... – I got interrupted

- Manipulated a girl's memory, I heard you. – he said – But you're not angry because he did it, you're angry for a different reason. – he affirmed.

- What are you talking about? She didn't deserve to... - he interrupted me again.

- I agree, she didn't deserve it. But at least she's safe. Dating a werewolf isn't particularly safe, she's lucky someone got there before her boyfriend tried doing anything to her. – he pointed out coldly.

- So, what are you saying? That it was bound to end badly? – I said harshly, finally getting upset.

- No, but she was going to find out eventually. –

- Yes, but not like that. – I contradicted.

- But it happened like that. There's nothing you could've done about it, that's that. I'm simply trying to make you see through your father's perspective. – he said with a more tranquil tone. - She experienced something traumatic; her boyfriend is a werewolf who almost killed his best friend in front of her. Humans don't tend to react well to big upsetting events and she experienced two. –

- Uh-huh. – I said, waiting for him to continue.

- When that happens, you need to prioritize the person's health and sanity. Your father was simply trying to keep her safe. – he explained.

- Okay, but that still doesn't justify making her believe they broke up. – I protested.

- No, nothing can justify meddling with someone else's mind. But if they kept dating, he would've eventually had to tell her the truth. She could react badly to the news and... -

- She was going to accept him – I interrupt him.

- But what if she doesn't? No one knows for sure. If she does react badly then your father would need to erase her memory, again. Messing with the mind once is dangerous, for humans and werewolves. Twice... that's just a gamble. Your father took the safest option. It doesn't mean it's the right one. – he finished.

I was shocked at his remark, having mixed feelings about the situation now. He's right, all my father did was ensure that Ilene's sanity isn't further disturbed. I never thought about it. I've been so angry about the whole thing I never considered putting myself in my father's shoes.

When I spoke about this with Kaya and Mason both agreed with me. Of course, they weren't as angry as I was with my dad, but they still shared the same thoughts. Talking to Caleb widens the situation. He's right, wow, he's so smart.

- Do you want to know what I think? – he said before I could form a coherent sentence in my head.

- Yeah... - I nodded.

- I think you're angry because, deep inside, you're scared about Nadia's reaction when you tell her. And the fact that your father was okay with erasing a girl's memory made you realize he'd do it to Nadia as well, given the scenario. – he stated softly and remained quiet, letting me process the information.

- Uhhhh. – I don't know what to say. I bite my bottom lip, considering what he said. – Maybe... I haven't thought about it. – I accepted the possibility.

- Well now you have something to think about. – he said cunningly.

- Thank you. – I told him sincerely.

- For what? – he asked confused.

- For listening to me... and for helping me understand my dad's decision. – I told him. – Not everyone does that. So, thank you. –

- No problem. – he said while grabbing his stuff and standing up to leave.

- Wait. – I said abruptly, catching his attention. – Ummm, before you go... I wanted to invite you to my football game tomorrow. – my nerves started getting the best of me.

He looked at me wearily and confused. Like a puppy who didn't understand what was happening. His gray-blue eyes are so expressive that I almost laughed at his reaction. He's so fun to be around.

- To your football game? – he simply asked making me laugh.

- Ha ha, yeah Caleb. It's tomorrow at 8:00 pm. I know you leave early on Fridays, but maybe you could make an exception. – I said nicely, hoping he'll agree.

- I don't know Nate, I need to ask for permission from my alpha and parents. Besides, tomorrow I have to train, and... - he started listing reasons not to come.

- I understand, but it would mean a lot if you'd come. Maya and Luke are invited as well. – I added.

- Why do you want me there? – he asked.

- Because you're my friend, one of my closest lately to be honest. You all are my friends. – I answered truthfully. He smiled at that but soon vanished.

- Nathan thank you, but. – I interrupt him

- Just think about it. I'm sure your alpha won't mind just this once. – I say and after some seconds he nodded.

- Okay, fine. I'll see what I can do. – he accepted.

I've been so distracted lately that I haven't even noticed he's wearing the necklace I gave him. It fits him perfectly; the pendant looks amazing. I need to congratulate Kaya on that later, she outdid herself. His eyes look so nice, so lively and happy. He also has a slight blush on his cheeks, barely noticeable. But for some reason, I find it extremely endearing and smile. Everyone thinks he's so sour and grumpy, but the truth is that he's amazing. I'm happy we're friends.

------------

Picture of Jeremiah at the top.

Pokračovat ve čtení

Mohlo by se ti líbit

1.3M 80.7K 76
Since River has been old enough to ask, his father has brain-washed into believing that he's unworthy of any sort of love. Especially from his long-a...
93.4K 3.9K 81
Alistair is a rogue werewolf. Born into this condition, he lives with his family the nomadic life, always traveling and never settling down in one pl...
938K 42.5K 72
In a single moment, Simon's life had turned upside down. Homeless, packless, rejected, and without his beloved family, Simon had lost all he's known...
525K 19.7K 69
Easton Knight is your stereotypical Alpha. Extremely handsome with a deep voice, broad shoulders, and a sleeky tall figure. But he is also ruthless...