Rogues

By Caleb_Brosme

Nathan Bryce is the next alpha in line, his pack has lived in River Valley for generations. Caleb Brosme is a... More

Chapter I
Chapter II
Chapter III
Chapter IV
Chapter V
Chapter VI
Chapter VII
Chapter VIII
Chapter IX
Chapter X
Chapter XI
Chapter XII
Chapter XIII
Chapter XIV
Chapter XV
Chapter XVII
Chapter XVIII
Chapter XIX
Chapter XX
Chapter XXI
Chapter XXII
Chapter XXIII
Chapter XXIV
Chapter XXV
Chapter XXVI
Chapter XXVII
Chapter XXVIII
Chapter XXIX
Chapter XXX
Chapter XXXI
Chapter XXXII
Chapter XXXIII
Chapter XXXIV
Chapter XXXV
Chapter XXXVI
Chapter XXXVII
Chapter XXXVIII
Chapter XXXIX
Chapter XL
Chapter XLI
Chapter XLII
Chapter XLIII
Chapter XLIV
Chapter XLV
Chapter XLVI
Chapter XLVII
Chapter XLVIII
Chapter XLIX
Chapter L
Chapter LI
Chapter LII
Chapter LIII
Chapter LIV
Chapter LV
Chapter LVI
Chapter LVII
Author's Note

Chapter XVI

324 15 14
By Caleb_Brosme

- Caleb -

- Hahahahahaha, it was hilarious. He threw you around like a rag doll. –

- Yeah, and you landed on your face. Hey Cal, how does dirt taste? – Maya commented laughing uncontrollably.

We're on our way to River Valley through the forest and the twins are making fun of me since yesterday's training. At least once a week we get to train with Elites to improve. Yesterday afternoon we trained with them, I got partnered up with Gregory, and it's safe to say he kicked my ass.

- Yeah, yeah, keep laughing. When you defeat Gregory come talk to me. – I defended myself, and I'm starting to get tired of them.

- Oh, come on Cal, don't be like that. We're just having fun. – she said nicer but still with a mocking tone.

- Yeah bro, and besides, for the most part, you held your own very well. – Luke said trying to ease off the tension.

- Yeah, right. – I discarded it quickly, not caring.

- Don't bitter yourself. It's our way to say we like you. – Maya said hugging me. – Happy Birthday doofus. -

***** Flashback *****

Gregory charged at Caleb at full speed. The gigantic wolf looked like he could take on anyone with ease. His bulky arms could break bones like pencils. He is stronger, smarter, and with tons of more experience than the young wolf with whom he is sparing. And still, despite de odds against him, Caleb had managed to hold his ground against the elite; using speed and agility to compensate and level things out. Everyone is there, well, at least everyone worth mentioning. Luke, Maya, Dyrus, and some elites along with their kids called Tyler, Brady, Tala, and Conan. The high table is there as well: Lawrence, Convel, and, of course, Alaric and Nymeria. All are present and carefully watching the battle. The atmosphere was dramatic, rogues aren't particularly quiet, and a fight between the third in command and the future beta in command isn't the exception.

- Come on, Caleb. – Luke's cheers could be heard in the background.

- You got this in the bag. – Maya joined in.

The young wolf, although grateful for his friend's support, wanted them to shut up and allow him to concentrate. One wrong move and he's done. Gregory charged at him rapidly for a man his size and threw a punch, Caleb barely managed to evade the attack. He tried getting some distance to think of a strategy, but the older wolf wasn't making it easy. He kept pressuring, rushing in, and throwing punches to different areas. This time Caleb couldn't dodge the incoming attack. Instead, he intercepted it with a punch of his own. It was tough, the hit was intense, knuckles against knuckles. The collied was overwhelmingly strong, pushing Caleb back a little. Gregory wasn't done, he took the momentum and continued attacking trying to catch the young wolf off guard. The young man quickly dealt with the attacks by redirecting them or stopping them. He is doing an amazing job defending, but he's not landing any punches. Gregory started attacking even more ferociously, his strength and speed increasing with every punch. Caleb was being overpowered, it looked like he couldn't keep up anymore.

The elite was bullying the young wolf, dominating the battle. He kept pressuring from different directions, throwing punches at different areas of the wolf's body, forcing him to react. He threw a punch from the side, straight to Caleb's head. The future beta in command reacted quickly, stepping in and blocking the punch with his arm and then landing a hit on the stomach. It took the third in command by surprise, the punch was heavy, able to leave him out of breath. Taking advantage of the moment Caleb quickly kicked Gregory's right knee, making him fall before landing another hit, this time on the face. The punch threw him straight to the ground. Silence took over; no one was expecting it. Even Alaric seemed to be impressed by the action.

- Huh... good hit. – Gregory complimented, spitting blood out of his mouth.

The punch was precise and strong enough to make the Gamma bleed. Caleb felt proud about it, he managed to land a direct hit, but the feeling soon vanished when he realized the fight wasn't over. He walked backward, getting some distance once more, while Gregory stood up and stretched his neck and knuckles. This just got real, Caleb thought to himself. Everyone was still in shock at the situation.

- Caleb... - Nymeria whispered just above her breath, but Caleb heard it, nonetheless.

She was impressed at her friend's skills. Caleb turned to see her, it was just for a couple of seconds, but it was more than enough time for Gregory to rush in and hit Caleb in the face. It was painful. Caleb tumbled a little, he was about to fall. The third in command smiled at the hit, thinking it was done. But he didn't foresee the young wolf regaining balance and quickly throwing another punch to his jaw. This one was stronger and definitively broke something. And so, they kept going, exchanging punch after punch, kick after kick; at this point, it was a battle of will, and Caleb refused to lose.

Gregory was impressed, very few people can stand their ground against him. And now, an 18-year-old pup was able put him on the corner. It's only natural for younger generations to take over, it's what they hope for. But still, the situation was both admirable and incredibly infuriating for the elite. After taking another punch to the jaw, the gamma thought it was enough. He strongly punched Caleb in the stomach, with a strength he'd only used when fighting Alaric, making the young wolf bend over and choke in pain. Then slammed him like a gorilla on the back, grabbed him, lifted him, and slammed him on the ground. The other wolf was left on the ground, out of breath.

- Okay, that's enough. – Alaric announced, making Gregory fall back. Nymeria quickly rushed to her friend's aid.

- Are you okay? – she asked concerned.

- Yeah, I'm fine. – he reassured, trying to catch his breath and heal the broken bones in his sore body.

- Let me help you. – Nymeria helped Caleb stand up.

- You distracted him. – Gregory scolded Nymeria angrily.

- What? – she responded with the same tone.

- He was fighting well until you distracted him. – the third in command clarified still upset.

- Gregory... – Alaric quickly warned in a deep husky voice.

- No, he's right. I got distracted, I should be able to fight and make sure you and everyone else are okay. – Caleb interrupted. – It was my fault. – he said with a hand on his stomach, still hurting from the punch. Alaric smiled at his remark. He's getting stronger, but he's not strong enough...yet.

***** End Flashback *****

- Thanks. – I said nicely.

- So, what are you going to do today? – Maya asked a little intrigued.

- Umm, nothing. – I responded.

- Oh, come on. – Maya complained dramatically.

- Why should I do something? It's just a day like any other. – I said more seriously.

- It's not just another day, it's your birthday. – she tried emphasizing the last part as if that explained the whole thing.

- Yeah...okay. – I discarded it.

- She's right bro, there's nothing wrong with celebrating yourself. – Luke agreed with his sister.

- Well, I just don't feel like it. –

- Cal, you only turn 18 once. - Maya complained further.

- Really? I didn't know. – I played dumb.

- Shut up, you know what I mean. – she said in a more serious tone.

- I do, and I already told you. I don't want to. – my voice a little frustrated.

- Fine, but we still got you a present. – she said, not giving me any option.

- Okay, fine. What is it? Did you cook something? – I asked, a bit hopeful.

Maya opened her mouth to speak but didn't. – You wanted me to cook something? – she asked a bit surprised.

- That's a no, so what is it? – I changed the subject.

- No, it's okay. I'll cook you something when we get back. What do you want? – she asked kindly. I thought deeply about what of it.

- Ummm, I don't know... Whatever you want. – I casually said.

- It's not about what I want, it's about what you want. –

- What I want is to stop talking about this. –

- Except for that. – she contradicted immediately, making me laugh.

- Honestly, it's fine. Besides Mary is probably going to cook something. Don't worry about it. – I assured her.

It's not that I don't like my birthday, I just never celebrate it. My dad was a complete mess when my mother died, so he never did anything special on my birthday. It's okay, I don't mind. I understand how he must have felt. My mom died after giving birth to me. It was tough growing up without a mother, but my dad did his best to make up for it. Then he met Mary and they decided to marry and then Jamie and the others came along. It's nice, Mary and I get along just fine, and I care a lot about my siblings. It's not perfect, but then again what is?

- No, I'll leave school early and help Mary out. – she insisted.

- Maya... - I was quickly interrupted.

- I'd take it if I were you, Cal. I can't convince her to cook for me, not even on my birthday. – Luke casually said.

- That's because it's my birthday too jackass. – Maya scolded, but her brother just laughed it out.

- Whatever. – Luke dismissed.

- So, it's settled. – she stated. I didn't want to complain further, there was just no point arguing with her.

- Meanwhile, I got you this. – Luke said, taking out a black leather bracelet.

- Wow, Luke... thanks. – I appreciate his gesture and accepted the bracelet.

The bracelet had some platinum decoration along it, with some nice patterns engraved. It was very nice, they certainly bought it somewhere. I put it on my left wrist, along with the other one I already have. My dad and Mary got it to me when Jamie was born. It has our names engraved in some metal pieces along the bracelet. Whenever a new member was born, we added another piece. I've had it for years now.

- It's nothing. Did you get me that hunting knife on my birthday, remember? The drop point one. – he said. – It's the least I could do. –

- Excuse me, it was my idea. I bought the bracelet. – Maya quickly scoffed.

- You're already going to cook for him, don't hog all the attention. – Luke shot back; they never stop bickering. Maya just glared at him, not bothering to answer. - Hey bro, so what did your family get you? –

- Well, not much. Just some clothes and stuff like that, although Ally did make me a surprisingly good breakfast. – I remember the food she brought me.

Ally rushed through my door at 6:00 sharp with a plate of food in her hand. I was already awake and getting ready to leave, but I was surprised to see the little girl up so early. She had the biggest smile on her face when she gave me the plate. It was scrambled eggs. Nothing too fancy I know but still the gesture counts.

- Looks like you got competition Maya, think you can cook better than a 6-year-old? – Luke teased his sister again.

- Shut up. – she nagged.

- Speaking of competition, what did Nymeria get you? – he asked with an impish tone, putting an arm around my shoulder.

- I haven't seen her yet. – I answered truthfully.

- Oh, but you're going to later... - he said, trying to sound naughty and double meaning.

- I already told you, there's nothing between us. – I said tiredly. Why can't they believe me? We are just friends, she's going to be alpha, and I beta, it's only natural we are close.

- Come on, man. – he insisted.

- If you forgot, I'm kind of dating your sister. – I changed subjects.

- Fake dating. – Maya clarified.

- Yeah, right. That's why you blushed when I kissed you the other day? – I reminded her playfully.

- Wait, what? – Luke said dumbfounded.

- I wasn't expecting it, I already told you. – Maya completely ignored her brother. - Besides, we already tried it before and it didn't work out, remember? – she contradicted.

- Yeah, I already went through the lecture. No need to repeat it. –

- Whatever. – she rolled her eyes. – Let's hurry or we'll be late. –

School routine carried on, as usual, just walk through the halls while all the domestics glare at you and listen to the teacher lecture us for over an hour. And don't get me started with the hunter teens. Fortunately for us, we do not share classes, but they keep tabs on us every chance they get. The two older ones, Dakota and Mathew I think are their names, have tried approaching more during lunch break. They mostly just want information about our town and things like that. We ignore them and eventually they just leave. They're not anything we can't handle, the real threat is their parents. They are expert hunters that have killed plenty of us, and right now they forced Alaric to do their dirty job. The pack's not happy about them lurking around.

- Germany created economical pressure during World War I in a lot of different ways, not just through land attacks on nearby countries. Can anyone tell me another one? – Mr. Harrison asked out loud, waiting for someone to answer. No one did, they are probably as bored as I am. - Mr. Brosme. – the teacher called me, shit.

- Ummm... well they started sinking commerce ships which eventually caused other countries to join the war. – I answered as best as I could. The question is ambiguous, isn't war itself economic pressure?

- How did they do it? – he continued.

- A battalion of submarines called Wolfsrudel, which is German for wolfpack. – I responded shortly.

- That's correct. The German army was the first to successfully create submarines giving them the upper hand in sea battles over Britain, which was considered to have the biggest naval force... - he carried on with the lecture.

Maya and Luke left. They said they would, so I'm alone in history with Mr. Harrison. I thought this class couldn't get any more boring but without the twins around, somehow it just got. We don't talk much during classes, but knowing they are close made things more tolerable. There are so many dates and events happening at the same time, I spend most of my studying time trying to memorize this subject. It can be very tedious at times, but it's, surprisingly, not that boring. Some facts are interesting and easy to understand. Either way, the day's almost over and I'm free to go home. Thankfully, not much time passed when the bell rang. Finally!

- Okay class, remember to study next week's lesson. Have a nice weekend. – he dismissed everyone.

I started packing my notebooks and now that I think about it, I didn't take notes of anything. Huh... I saw Nathan standing up quickly and coming in my direction. Oh, goddess, no. I can't help him train today. However, before he could get there, another voice called my attention.

- Mr. Brosme, a word. – Mr. Harrison called with a serious tone.

Am I in trouble? He normally uses that tone whenever Jake does something stupid. I finished packing my stuff and sat down waiting 'till everyone left the room. Nathan turned to me before leavening with a confused look, I shrug my shoulder.

- Is everything okay, Mr. Harrison? – I stood up and approached the teacher.

- Oh, yes, please take a seat. – he signaled to a chair closer to his desk. Seriously, I just stood up. He stood up and closed the door. Awkward.

- Okay. – I responded taking a sit.

- Don't worry you're not in trouble. – he said with a friendly tone. He walked to the front of his desk and leaned into it while crossing his arms. – I noticed Luke and Maya didn't assist today. –

- Yeah, they left early. – I answered briefly.

- Any particular reason? – he continued with a casual voice.

- Not really, just some chores. Is this what you wanted to talk about? – I quickly dismissed the subject.

- No, it's just that Alpha Nathan wanted me to find out whenever you guys skipped class. But that's not what I wanted to speak with you about. – he said in a more serious tone.

- Oh, okay. – I said, waiting for him to continue.

- You are one of my best students. – he stated firmly

- It's only been three weeks. – I pointed out.

- And yet you still are one of the best. Very few kids take an interest in history. Do you like history? – he asked me.

- Not precisely. It can be tedious to study at times, but some things are interesting. – he smiled at my response. - Why do you ask? -

- I spoke with some other of your teachers and they told me you're very good in chemistry, biology, and math. - he continued.

- I just study the lessons in the agenda. – I commented, it's not that big of a deal.

- There's a competition at the end of this year. Several schools participate in it and the winner gets a prize. I would want you to form a part of the team. – he got to the point. – But it will also mean more effort and responsibility from you. Extra hours, more subjects; the other members of the team are more advanced, you'd need to catch up. – he further explained. – Are you interested? –

- I don't want to be disrespectful, but I don't think I can. – I said respectfully.

- Why not? – he asked intrigued. – Oh, I know. Nathan already told you it's social suicide and stuff like that... - he said starting to get upset.

- No, no, nothing like that. It's just... I have a lot of things to do back home, and I don't have much time to spare. – I explained as briefly as possible.

- Why don't you think about it? You'd be perfect for the team. – He looked at me a little with a genuine smile, a little hope coming from him.

- Sure, I'll think about it... – I told him, and he smiled at my answer. Mr. Harrison then stood up and walked to the door.

- Okay, I won't keep you anymore. – he opened the door. – Mr. Bryce. – he said certainly he was waiting outside. Nathan then walked from the side.

- Hey, professor. I wasn't prying. I... - he began explaining himself nervously.

- It's fine boy, classes ended. You're not in trouble. – he assured him calmly.

He turned to me with a hopeful look and smiled before leaving. Nathan turned around with a hand on his neck and the goofiest smile I'd ever seen him make. A little weird, I might add.

- Hey, so what was that about? – he asked a little intrigued.

- Weren't you listening? – I asked in return.

- No... teachers here give a lot of importance to boundaries, especially those who are werewolves. So, we try not to meddle in conversations. – he said truthfully.

Huh, with us it's the complete opposite. Aside from council meetings, we don't mind everyone listening to our conversations. It's a way to keep connected with everyone and make sure nothing's wrong. We learn to not be ashamed of ourselves or our pack by being close, creating a strong feeling of belonging. There's some privacy of course, but... we don't mind. I thought domestics were the same.

- Oh... well he just wanted me to join some academic competition. – I explained.

- The Decathlon? – he stated.

- I think, he never said its name, though. –

- You should definitively do it– he said somewhat excited. I frowned. – What? –

- Mr. Harrison said you'd try to convince me otherwise because it is social suicide or something. – I pointed out, making him smile.

- Yeah, it's not entirely true. Most of those who participate are weirdos and loners who study all the time and people don't like them... but it doesn't mean that you shouldn't try. You are very smart, I'm sure you'll make the team. Besides, you don't care what others think about you. – he looked at me sheepishly.

- You think I'm smart? – I said a little startled.

- Well, yeah? You've done most of the hard work on our chemistry project and always seem to know all the subjects in each class. – he stated as a fact.

- Thanks. – I accepted the compliment.

- So, you'll do it? –

- I don't know. –

- What, why not? – he asked.

- I'm a rogue, remember. I don't have much time. – I answered more seriously.

It's true; it sounds like too much unnecessary work, and I don't get anything in return. Mr. Harrison is nice, probably one of the best teachers, but I can't afford to distract myself right now. Or maybe I should, Nymeria won't become alpha for a while. Perhaps this is the time to try new things before I'm officially caught up in pack duties. I don't know, I should consult with Alaric first.

- Right... I forgot. You should give it a try, though. I know you'd be great. – he said staring into my eyes with a friendly look. I smiled in return.

We continued staring into each other's eyes. The green in his eyes is just so clean and pure that it reminds me of the forest. The silence grew as we continued and started making things uncomfortable. I didn't know what to do, so I broke eye contact and coughed a bit trying to ease the situation. Nathan shifted awkwardly as well.

- Oh, yeah. Ummm... - he coughed. - ...by the way, don't get upset, but I got you something. – he said, grabbing his backpack and fishing for something. His scent flooded with nerves and anguish.

- What? – I asked a bit confused.

- Found it. – he said, pulling out a necklace and handing it to me. – Here. –

I hesitated at first but took it. It's completely black, but not a shining type of black, more like an opaque simple one. It also has the same color pendant hanging; it's a crescent moon with a wolf on its side howling. So simple and it still looks so nice. Wow...

- The chain and pendant are titanium, so it's safe to put them on. It's your pack's symbol, I hope I got it right. I got burned a couple of times trying to make the wolf. – he laughed nervously.

- It's perfect. – I assured him, still looking down at the necklace. I tried hiding my smile, but I couldn't control it. – But I don't understand. Why are you giving me this? – I look at him.

- It's just a way to say thank you for all the werewolf lessons you've helped me with. – I spoke truthfully. – Besides, I heard it's your birthday today and I wanted to give you something. So, happy birthday. – he said congratulating me.

He's acting stiff, unsure of how to act. I can sense it; his scent is all over the place. He's gotten better at hiding it, but his shirt still reeks of nerves. This is very kind of him. He is shifting uncomfortably in his place, not sure what to say. I laugh under my breath. I close the distance between us and pulled him into a hug.

- Thank you. – I say. He hesitated a little but quickly warmed up and hugged me as well. I can feel his arms around me.

- That's what friends do. – he responded. I smile, yeah... we are friends. We let go of the hug at the same time.

- Yes... I guess you're right. – I told him. He smiled at me from ear to ear, revealing his perfect white smile. – Hey... umm, how did you know today's my birthday? – I asked.

- Maya slipped and mentioned your birthday was around. So, Nadia went through your school files. – he said in an embarrassed tone. Of course, she did, no wonder Maya was so persistent on cooking me something this morning.

- You're not upset, right? – he asked concerned.

- No, why would I be? – I told him calmly.

- Are you sure? From what she said you don't like celebrating your birthday. I don't want to overstep. – he said a little worry. I'll have to speak with Maya later, what exactly did she tell them?

- Yes, don't worry. We're good. – I assured him with a warm smile. – It was very thoughtful of you. – I thanked him and put the collar around my neck. It fits perfectly, not too short, or long.

- Oh, great. Because Nadia is kinda waiting outside with a birthday cake. Don't worry, no one else knows. She insisted on buying it. – he said faster than usual. I laughed, finding him cute. He's looking at me expectantly.

- Okay, let's go. – I told him friendly, and we started walking towards the school's entrance.

- We didn't know what flavor to choose, so I hope you like chocolate. –

- Chocolate's fine, thanks. – he made me smile again.

- Awesome, please try and act surprised, or else Nadia will know I told you. – he said on a more serious note.

- Sure, no problem. –

- You're the best. –

'You're the best'... those words made me happier than I expected. We've known each other so little and I already like him so much. I never thought I'd be friends with a domestic. Not in my life. He's different, always so welcoming and respectful, from day one. He always tries to solve problems with us as fast as possible, even those we don't care about. I guess I was wrong about him. He's a really good friend and I'm sure he'll be an amazing alpha one day too.

Just as he said, Nadia was waiting for us sitting on a bench outside the main building. She was wearing another colorful dress and had her hair fixed nicely. Her purse was laying beside her. She immediately smiled as soon as she saw us and walked towards us.

- I was beginning to think you wouldn't come out. – she said sarcastically and went to hug Nathan.

- Sorry, it was my fault. Mr. Harrison wanted to speak with me. – I told her.

- It's fine. I imagined something like that happened. – she said casually. – Where are Maya and Luke? – she asked looking around.

- They left early. Maya's going to help Mary cook, and Luke will take any opportunity to leave early. – I explained.

- Who's Mary? – she asked.

- She's my stepmother. My mom's dead. – I told them, and their eyes opened in disconcert. – Don't worry, she died a long time ago. – I quickly assured them.

- I'm sorry for bringing it up. – Nadia apologized.

- It's okay. –

- Well, I brought you something. – she said, starting to sound a little excited.

- Is it a cake? – I pretended to guess.

- You snitch. You told him we know it's his birthday. – Nadia told Nathan faking being upset.

- What? No... - Nathan began to defend himself, but I interrupted him.

- No, he didn't. I can see the cake from here. – I pointed out, helping my friend out.

She turned to look at the cake standing right behind her small purse. The purse's not big enough to hide it, it can be seen perfectly even without werewolf vision. The cake's small, inside a plastic container, for three or four people at most.

- Oh... right... - she said realizing it was true. – Well, happy birthday. – she said in an excited tone and opened her arms for a hug.

- Yeah, happy birthday Cal. – Nathan said pretending and giving me another friendly hug.

- Thank you. - I accepted the hugs.

- Come, let me give you the cake. – Nadia said eagerly. She ran up to the bench and grab her stuff along with the small chocolate cake. She opened the plastic container. – I hope you like it. –

- Thank you so much. – I said accepting the cake. – Do you have some plates and something to cut it with? That way we can share it. – I said friendly.

- Yes, sure. Nate brought them, right? – she turned to her boyfriend.

- Was I supposed to bring them? – Nathan asked dazzled.

- You forgot? Nate, I told you yesterday. – she started scolding him. Nathan was just taking and did seem a little embarrassed from forgetting.

- It's okay guys, don't worry. How about we eat it next week? – I proposed. – That way Maya can be there too. –

- Sure, that sounds great. – Nathan quickly agreed to try to get away from the scolding.

- Yeah, it's okay. – Nadia agreed as well.

- Thanks, either way, I appreciate it. –

- No problem. – she responded friendly.

- Well, I don't want to be rude, but my family is expecting me, so... I got to go. – I said casually, trying not to sound rude.

- Oh, yeah sure, don't worry. Happy Birthday again. – Nadia said, giving me another friendly hug.

- Have a nice day, Cal. – Nate told me with a sincere smile on his face.

- You too. – I say and waved them goodbye as I left.

As usual, some domestics escorted me to the crossroad. There are always four wolves who escort us, which normally it's okay since Maya and Luke are around, but this time I am alone, and it made things even more awkward. They just kept staring at me, waiting for me to do something. I'm pretty sure I could escape if the situation arises, but I hope it doesn't get to it. As soon as we arrived at the crossroad they stopped and watched me leave. I walked back home carelessly. To be honest, I'm walking slower than usual; this time alone is probably the only one I'll get this week. Nymeria is already 18 years old; my dad told me it's a matter of days before Alaric starts looking for possible suitors. Our pack-changing roots certainly delayed her engagement, but that won't last long. This means, that there's more pressure on me to rise and become Beta in Command.

So, yes, I'll take every second I can get. Taking a deep breath, I try and calm myself and ease my mind. Stopping myself from overthinking everything and stressing over every little aspect of the pack. It's so much pressure on my shoulders. I'm used to pushing myself. I've always wanted to be Beta, even as a child. My father and I have trained so hard for so long, and now that I'm months away... I don't know. I'm both excited and terrified. I want to leave and stay at the same time. There's so much on my mind and I just want everything to stop. I take another breath and hold it.

- Hey Cal, happy birthday man. – a voice broke my peace. I turn and find Nile; he was a scout back when we were nomads and now, he's stuck on patrol duty.

- Nile, hey. How's it going? – I smile at him.

- Fine, I guess. I hate sitting around all day doing nothing. – he complained a little.

- Yeah, I imagine it's especially hard for you. – I agree.

- Don't remind me, I miss it so much. The freedom of going anywhere and seeing new things... good old days. – he says feeling a little low.

- I'm sorry, I'll let the alpha know and see if he can give you a different task. – I offer him kindly.

- Thanks, Cal, but I doubt it's going to work. Besides, a lot is going on with domestics and hunters... I don't want to disturb you further. – he told me resigned.

- Are you sure? – I insisted.

- Positive, don't worry about me. It's nice for you to offer, though – he said confidently.

- It's my job. I'll tell Nymeria about it, maybe she'll do something once she takes over. – I told him nicely. He smiled in response.

- Hopefully... talking about that, have you heard the rumors? – he said lowly, vigilant of the surroundings.

- What? – I asked intrigued.

- Alpha Alaric started looking for suitors. – he said above a whisper, but clear enough for me to understand.

- Really? – he nodded. I can already imagine how Nymeria is reacting. I have a long conversation up ahead. – How do you know? –

- He started visiting families with sons her age, no one has said anything, but why else would he visit them? Especially while there's a conflict with domestics. – he said rhetorically.

Nile does have a point. The alpha hasn't visited families since we settle here, at least not just because. He's been very busy planning the construction and keeping everything under control. It's only natural for him to focus on other aspects of the pack. If he started looking for possible suitors, then that means he's worried about what's to come. He wants to make sure there's someone to take charge if he died. This means that it won't be long before he announces the future Alpha Male. I wonder who it'll be...

- I don't know... Nymeria hasn't finished her training and, besides, she hasn't defeated an elite. – I pointed out.

- You almost did and not just any elite; you almost won against Gregory. – he said.

- Yes, but... - I was interrupted by him.

- Cal, you almost defeated Gregory. He's not any elite, he's THE elite. You are probably as strong as Convel right now. – he said in a more excited tone.

- I'm not sure about that. I was able to land a couple of hits against Gregory. That doesn't mean I'm as strong. – I said doubtfully.

- Wolves only grow stronger with the years, that's why Gregory defeated you. You are capable to hold your own against far stronger and more experienced wolves... face it, Cal, you guys are ready. In a couple of weeks, maybe a month, Nymeria will defeat Gregory and takes charge. – he said confidently. – The whole pack feels the same way. –

- That not going to happen unless this conflict is solved. Alaric won't step down until then. – I said firmly.

- Yeah... maybe you're right. But do you seriously believe that'll last long? You know him, he's going to solve this as soon as possible, and even if he doesn't he'll still announce the engagement and start preparing the Alpha Male. –

I don't know how to respond to that, he's completely right. Who knows, he might already have chosen a mate for his daughter. Which means that they'll start taking command in no time. Even if they don't hold the title yet, Alaric will surely want them to start taking responsibility for lower tasks. Shit.

- Cal, are you okay? – Nile asked seeing as I wasn't answering anymore.

- Yeah...yeah... - I assured more to myself than to him.

- You must be excited, being beta in command is all you ever wanted. – he congratulated me. – How does it feel? –

How does it feel... how does it feel! I have no fucking idea what I'm feeling. Thrilled, excited, terrified, worried, sick, happy, relieved?

- I don't know... honestly, I can't put words to it. – I answered truthfully. He smiled at my response.

- Sorry, I don't mean to interrogate you. It's your birthday, you shouldn't be thinking about this stuff. You have lots of things to do, tell your family I say hi. – he said with a friendly smile.

- Of course, you're welcome to come you know. –

- Nah, it's okay. I still have patrol so I'll be here for a while longer. –

- Okay. I'll see you later then, stay safe. – we say goodbye and part ways.

I can't stop thinking of what he said. All my life all I ever wanted was to become beta in command. I've trained for it day and night. That's all I know and now that it's about to happen I have no idea what to do. It feels like only yesterday I was training with my father in the forest in the morning. All those memories start coming to mind. The endless training, the extra hours fighting. It has all taken me here... and I'd never change a thing of it. Taking care of the pack will be difficult but that's what I love doing and I'll be doing it alongside Nymeria.

In no time, I was standing in front of my house. The door is open, I can sense them inside, waiting for me. It smells delicious, and Maya's cooking never disappoints. Here I go. Entering the house, I direct myself toward the kitchen.

- Happy birthday! – they yell excitedly. I couldn't contain a smile.

- Thank you. – I say content.

- Come here, son. – my father walked up to me and hugs me fondly. I accept and hug back just as strongly.

Looking around there are a lot of people. There's Jamie, Ally, and Josh all waiting impatiently to greet me. Mary stands behind the stove with a joyful look on her face, she smiles at me lovingly. Maya and Luke and their mother, Marissa, are standing next to the table, where a big cake rests. It looks extremely tasty, I'm not the biggest fan of cakes, but this one's different. Lena and Riley came as well, I'm glad they did, and to my surprise, Alaric's here too. I don't see Nymeria, though.

- Cal! – Ally and Josh came running to me. I picked them up each in one arm as they hugged me.

- You're so big now. – I faked struggling and kissed their foreheads. They laughed and put them down.

- Hey sis. – I greeted Jamie.

- Hey bro, congrats. – he said and we hugged.

I didn't pick her up. Not because I couldn't, but because she doesn't like it anymore. After letting go of her the hemming family walked up to me. Luke was the first to greet me.

- Happy birthday, man. – he said and hugged me tightly. I had to hold my breath otherwise he'd suffocate me.

- Thanks. – I say gladly.

- Hope all your wishes come true, young man. – their mother congratulates me.

- Thank you, Mrs. Hemming. I'm glad you could come. – I greet back kindly. After letting go I see Maya waiting patiently. – Okay, go ahead. Get it over with. – I say waiting for a snarky comment. Instead, she chuckled, rolled her eyes, kissed my cheek, and hugs me tightly, putting her arms around my neck.

- Happy birthday, doofus. – she says in a simple genuine tone.

I hug her back warmly. The hug lasted longer than I anticipated, neither wanting to let go. Eventually, we did. We may annoy each other all the time, but I still care deeply for her. It's weird, but that's how our friendship works. Riley and Lena are next

- Congratulations Cal, hope you enjoy today. – Riley said kindly but kept her distance.

- Come here. – I say playfully and pulled her into my embrace. She was stiff at first but soon melted into the hug.

- Caleb... you've grown so much. – Lena's eyes immediately started watering and leaned in for a hug.

- Thank you for everything Lena. – I thanked her. She didn't answer back but held me tighter, which felt nice. After we separated, she caressed my chin with melancholy in her eyes.

- You look just like your mom. – her voice said, almost breaking.

I smiled at her, not knowing what to say. Her hands went to her eyes, preventing the tears from falling. I felt my own eyes starting to water and decided to look away. My father and she have always been close, they've been good friends since pups, just like with Alaric. After that unexpectantly emotional moment, Mary walked up to me and hugged me fondly.

- Happy birthday Caleb, I wish you the best. – she said lovingly.

- Thanks, Mary. – I hugged her back.

- I hope you like the cake. Maya and I worked hard on it, it's your favorite. –

Oh, my goddess, I already want a piece. Both are good cooks, now imagine what they can do together. I started drooling a little in my mouth. Just the smell, is enough to taste it. Then, I felt a hand on my shoulder, it is heavy. I turned to see Alaric looking down at me with a smile on his face.

- Happy birthday boy, I'm excited to see the man you'll become. – he said nicely with his baring tone of voice.

- Thanks. –

– I was hoping to stay longer, however, there are a lot of things I need to take care but wanted to congratulate the kid. – he said louder. – I'll see you all around. Do me a favor kid, don't let your old man drink too much. – he said in a somewhat playful tone, looking at his lifelong friend.

- Ha, we both know you're the one that drinks more between us. – my father joked around, making Alaric laugh.

- Ha, ha, ha. Relax Allan. –

- Whatever. Are you sure you can't stay for a slice of cake?- my father asked.

- I wish, but this is important. Save one for me. – the alpha said lively.

- Try not to overwork today, Rick. – my father said.

- Okay mom...bye everyone, nice evening. – he dismissed himself and left the room.

They have such a good friendship; despite their age, they still act like kids. Sometimes I wonder if that'll be Nymeria and me someday. They are always there for each other, in good times, bad times, and worse. I guess that's how friendships are forged. I definitively feel like Nymeria, and I could be like that someday, but right now, she's nowhere to be found. I'm starting to worry if she's okay.

- Let's cut the cake. – Mary said excitedly. Everyone agreed.

- Wait, let me just go up to change quickly and I'll be right back. – I interrupt. They accept a little reluctant, wanting to taste the cake.

I walk upstairs towards my room quickly. I opened the door and leave my backpack on top of my bed. I take my shirt off and start looking for a clean one on my bureau. Finding one that I like, I walk towards the mirror. I see the collar Nathan gave me earlier today. I hold it while I look at it in the mirror. It's nice, the pendant is perfect. I sigh deeply and, for some reason, I wish he'd be here celebrating with me...

- Nice necklace. – a voice breaks the silence.

----------

Picture of Mary at the top

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

249K 9.6K 48
Trevor Harrington is a normal human boy of 18yrs old with three brothers and a 10yrs old nephew living a not so normal lives because his two twin bro...
177K 7K 36
Caleb is your everyday dorky 19 year werewolf. He's the youngest omega of the pack but everyone loves him. Caleb lost his parents when he was 9 due t...
1.3M 80.6K 76
Since River has been old enough to ask, his father has brain-washed into believing that he's unworthy of any sort of love. Especially from his long-a...
134K 6K 21
Life as an Alpha has always been viewed as the easier path; Alphas are the top of the food chain, lead the packs, and are the deciding force in the w...