Sailing With Destiny

Bookworm_Tina द्वारा

"Do you have any idea how damn frustrating you are?" He trapped me between him and the wall. Stubbornly, I l... अधिक

Preface
Paris
Pont des Arts
Monte Carlo
Sumptuous Repast
BlackJack
St Tropez
Friend or Foe
Provoke
Morning Coffee
Portofino
Kayak
Kiss it Better
Tuscany
Off-route: London
Brotherly Things
The Marino's
Frustration
Corsica
Cherry
Ibiza
A Night in Ibiza
Costa Blanca
Cupcakes
Cumpleaños
Fiesta
Old Wounds
Homebound
Vacation Over
New York
Bubbles and Beer
Petty
Class Day
Celebrate
Priorities
A Magical Day
I Hate My Birthday
Intern
Millie Bee
Summit
That Escalated
Ego
Liquid Courage
Predicament
Corporate Sexy
Dinner at Dad's 2.0
Anti-Mila
Voice of Reason
Fragile
Talk To Me
A Little Better
Not What You Need
Revelation And Secrets
Forgive Me?
Space
The Night Begins
Can The Night End Already
I don't Know You Anymore
He's Still My Friend
I Got You, Always
Wedding Date
Friends
The Calm
Before
The Storm
I Promise
I Hate Halloween
Best Friend or Girlfriend?
Decisions, Decisions
I Can't Live Without You
I Will Survive
Nostalgic
Holiday Surprises
I Trusted You
A Mental Maze
Always
Mark My Words
Call It Destiny

I Trusted You Too

795 36 107
Bookworm_Tina द्वारा

"Wake up."

My head felt as if it were splitting in two. My eyelids must've had some sort of weight on them because I couldn't lift them. My body felt limp and constrained – I wanted to move but couldn't.

"It's been almost twenty-four hours, why isn't she awake?" A familiar yet foreign voice echoed in my ears. "I told you not to kill her!"

The coherent voice turned into distant echoes, and I slipped into unconsciousness again. My mind felt at ease after a long time, and I easily welcomed sleep.

I wasn't sure how long I was asleep but when my eyes eventually opened, it was pitch black. My muscles ached and my head throbbed. My mouth was very dry and when I tried to swallow, my throat burned.

"Hello," I croaked. "Where am I?"

I tried to stand but I couldn't move my legs or hands. I shuffled and realized I was on a chair with my ankles and wrists tied.

What the hell happened?

It hurt to think but I did my best to recollect what happened. Memories flashed in my mind in bits and pieces and like a puzzle, I had to put them together. The last thing I remembered was getting hit on the head and then everything went black.

I panicked when the realization that I was in possible danger hit me. I shuffled more urgently to try and get out of the chair, but the knots were very tight. I wanted to scream but thought I'd attract attention to myself if whoever put me there was outside.

I was anxious and my heart raced but I took deep breaths to remain calm. I twisted and turned my wrists to try and get loose. Just as I thought I got some progress, I felt something scratch my ankle.

I froze and heard a soft squeak and realized that some kind of animal, probably a rat, was in this dark place with me. Without a second thought, I let out the loudest scream and freaked out. I kicked my legs as much as I could and in the process, the chair fell, and I landed on my side.

I felt a sharp pain spread from the side of my body all through to my rib cage. My cheek was flat against an ice-cold floor, and I felt something like a tail touch the exposed part of my ankle.

"Help me!" I screamed my lungs out.

Just then a door opened, and I squinted my eyes at the bright light. My face felt hot even though the temperature had to have been below zero in the confined room.

"Finally," a familiar voice spoke. "You're awake."

I tried to see who the voice belonged to but because of the restriction on my limbs, I couldn't move. Thankfully, the rat that was trying to eat my leg ran off.

I saw two large boots in front of me and in one swift movement, the chair was lifted. My hair covered my eyes and all I saw was a face and light hair. I blew strands of hair out of my face to get a clearer look but wasn't very successful.

Just then a sweet scent lingered around my nose and soft hands moved the hair out of my face. My eyes still hadn't adjusted to the light and with the headache and dizziness, my sight wasn't one hundred percent clear.

"Merry Christmas, Mila," the voice spoke. "I thought you were dead for a while."

I gulped and licked my chapped lips as the familiar voice became more distinct. I opened my eyes wider and like layers peeling away, the face became clearer.

I let out the biggest breath of relief when I stared into two blue eyes. "Kelsey," I breathed. "Thank God. I don't know what happened, but someone put me here. Please help me get out. I need –"

"Oh, shut up!" Kelsey snapped. "I am so sick of hearing you whine and complain. God knows how I tolerated you all these months."

I was confused and the throbbing pain in my head didn't help. "What?"

"I'm not here to help you, Mila. I'm the one who put you here."

Kelsey's words played back in my head. "But..." I cleared my dry throat, but it only hurt more.

Kelsey gestured for the tall man with dark hair and icy eyes for something. The man harshly gripped the back of my neck, tilted my head back, and shoved a bottle of water in my mouth. The water flowed rapidly but I was so thirsty that I drank as much as I could. Water dribbled down my chin and I choked because of how roughly the man handled me.

"Enough," Kelsey instructed. "We don't want her to die on us."

The man pulled the bottle away. I wanted to wipe my mouth but when I moved my hands, I recalled they were tied. I stared in disbelief at Kelsey, and she looked the very same but the way she stared at me was different.

"Why?" I breathed. "You're my friend."

"Please," Kelsey scoffed. "Ever heard the saying, keep your friends close and your enemies closer?"

"Enemy?" I frowned. "What have I ever done to earn that privilege?"

Kelsey glared. "Don't try and act snarky with me. I'm not Mitch or any of your other pathetic friends who'll tolerate you."

Kelsey stepped closer and scrutinized my face. "I don't get it. Sure, you have a pretty face but other than that, what is it about you that makes everyone love you so much?"

I humorlessly laughed. "Love me so much? I think you might have the wrong Mila."

Kelsey ground her teeth together and looked at me in distaste. "That's the problem with you. You take everyone in your life for granted. You fail to see what's in front of you because you're too busy wallowing in self-pity."

"Poor Mila's mom forgot her. Poor Mila's dad doesn't love her enough. Mila raised herself. Mila had to grow up too soon. Mila's mom died. Mila's best friend slash possible ex-lover is dying. Mila this, Mila that, it's bloody sickening!"

Kelsey's words were like salt in my wounds and maybe she had a point, but I never asked for anyone's pity. I admitted I was difficult because of past trauma but that's why I didn't allow many people in my life – so they wouldn't have been burdened by me and my issues.

"Everyone has problems so I don't get why you must be treated differently," Kelsey spat. "You aren't anything special, quite the contrary actually."

"I can agree with that," I muttered.

"Don't give me that hogwash. You and I both know that you love the attention all your minor problems bring. You're a narcissist who doesn't care for anyone but herself."

"I do love a good compliment."

Kelsey struck me across the face, and it took me a second to comprehend what happened. My cheek warmed and stung from the force and her ring gashed me over the cheekbone.

"You snarky little bitch," Kelsey snarled. "I don't know how he can love someone like you. Just like your relationship, everything is a bloody joke to you. Is that a defense mechanism to block out your so-called trauma?"

I didn't care for her insults, but the latter part of her statement stood out and realization dawned on me. "Is this," I paused and gulped. "Is this about Mitch?"

Kelsey clenched her jaw and stared at me squarely. I recalled her interactions with Mitchell and at first glance, it seemed very innocent. However, the subtle touches, giggles at his jokes that weren't even funny, and even the little excuses she used for him to spend time with her suddenly made sense. The kiss that she initiated that I perhaps should've given more thought to was probably very much intentional and well-calculated.

"You have feelings for him, don't you?"

"Feelings?" Kelsey ridiculed. "I love him. Truly love him, unlike you."

"You don't know what he means to me."

"Your actions speak for themself. I've seen you neglect and push him aside while all your attention was on Leo. I saw the longing in his eyes every time you tossed him aside like an option and focused your all on your best friend."

"You don't know anything."

"No, you don't know anything," Kelsey retorted. "You never deserved him. He is a once-in-a-lifetime kind of love and all you've done is take him for granted. I've seen tears in his eyes because of you and you never cared. All you cared about was your sick friend and didn't see the pain the man you love went through."

"You were quick to point out his flaws and fight him but never saw the sacrifices he made for you. No man would silently watch the woman he loves shower affection on a man she once slept with, no matter the kind of relationship they shared currently. Mitchell silently stood and let it happen because he understood your feelings. The last thing he ever wanted was to come between you and your best friend, no matter how he felt about it."

"He not only stood aside but supported you. He was a shoulder for you to lean on when you were crying about Leo. He was nothing but a rock to you while you took him for granted and never appreciated him."

"And do not get me started on your hypocrisy. You constantly judged him for merely being in the same room, in a public space, with Liza. If her name was mentioned, you'd freak out and make him look disloyal. While you paraded all over with Leo, hugging and touching him in Mitch's presence. If he were to say anything, you'd start a fight."

I knew Mitchell confided in Kelsey in the past but didn't know she was the friend he shared our relationship issues with.

"You don't deserve him, never have, and never will," Kelsey concluded.

My heart felt heavy from her words but the anger I felt toward her pushed aside any other thoughts or feelings.

"And you do?"

"Surely more than you," Kelsey replied. "I'd appreciate him for who he is. When he was with me in London for Dad's funeral, he was the most caring and understanding person. He was gentle and kind. How could anyone neglect someone like that?"

I gulped and felt guilty. Kelsey was right but her method of pointing it out was wrong. I lowered my gaze and shame settled in.

Kelsey gripped my chin and lifted my head. Her long nails dug into my skin and made me flinch. "Leave him and never look back."

"What?"

"He deserves better than being strung along."

"We're already broken up."

Kelsey abruptly let go of me and frustratingly ran her fingers through her hair. "Broken up," she scoffed. "That's just a word. He still loves you. He pines for you like a lovesick fool and believes that you'll get back together in the near future."

Kelsey looked at me with narrowed eyes. "I don't get it. Why does he love the ones who don't love him half as much? What does he see in you that makes him so pathetic for you? There is nothing special about you. You're a whiny, annoying, smug girl with mommy and daddy issues that run too deep to fix."

"Yet you're all he sees and feels – he calls you the love of his life. These days without you made him even more pathetic than when you were together. I tried to hold his hand, but he pulled away as if I touched him inappropriately and left. Even when you're not together he's loyal to you. For God's sake, he even mumbles your name in his sleep."

"You're wrong," I muttered. "You've got the wrong girl."

"What?" Kelsey irritably snapped.

"I'm not the love of his life," I did my best not to cry. "I don't know what's wrong with your hand, but he did a lot more than just hand-holding with his ex. Maybe you're the problem."

"What are you talking about?"

"I caught him in bed with her before you kidnapped me. I'm already out of our relationship so I don't know why you went through all this trouble," I sarcastically said. "Being tied up can be fun but not like this. Or by you."

Kelsey's eyes grew venomous, and she understood that I hinted at my sexual relationship with Mitchell. Suddenly her lips tilted upward, and she smirked. "Are you talking about Liza?"

Kelsey bitterly laughed. "I've seen him long for Liza, but it was nothing like it's for you. Liza is a little school crush compared to what he feels for you."

"Did you not just hear what I said?"

"I heard you loud and clear," Kelsey responded. "Do you honestly think he'd jump into bed with Liza of all people?"

Kelsey clicked her tongue and shook her head. "It was exhausting pretending to be your friend, but it was all to get rid of you. I was so close but then you told me about that kiss, and it made my blood boil."

"No matter what I said to you or Mitch, you still found ways to be together. I needed a foolproof plan to get rid of you for good, so I decided to use a few idiots," Kelsey mused. "Idiot one was Kate, who has been nothing but a little bitch to me but that's for another day. Anyway, after I failed to convince you, I planted the idea in her head to get you to visit Mitch. She then told Leo how miserable her brother was, and it might do him well if he saw you once before he left New York."

"For a moment I thought Leo wouldn't do his part but thankfully he did. Then I brought in idiot number three and called Liza at work. She doesn't know the address to Mitchell's penthouse, so I arranged for a private meeting to discuss an expensive art piece I was interested in purchasing."

Kelsey sounded more deranged as each word left her mouth.

"I paid Mitch a little visit to say goodbye before I left for London. I insisted we share a drink and added a little something in his."

I glared. "What did you put in his drink?"

"Rohypnol," Kelsey grinned. "I didn't add too much to hurt him but enough to knock him out. Shortly after I left and as arranged, Liza showed up. She was collected by my driver, and he added the same drug to her water bottle. My driver gave a different name when they reached and thinking it was work-related, Mitchell let her in. Thankfully, Liza drank enough water and after a little argument between exes, both grew groggy and passed out."

"With the help of Keith over there," Kelsey gestured to the tall man behind me. "We undressed them just enough and got them in bed together." Kelsey clapped her hands together in satisfaction. "The cherry on top was having you walk in. I'll admit it was touch and go for a while because I thought you wouldn't have shown up."

I stared bewildered at her. "You're insane."

"No, insane would've been if I let him actually sleep with that awful woman."

"And all these crimes you've committed aren't?"

"All's fair in love and war," Kelsey replied.

"I swear this stuff only happens in movies," I muttered to myself. "No real-life person could be this twisted."

"Judge me all you want but you're still a far worse person. You hurt the people you love whereas, I'm doing this to someone who means nothing to me for the person I love. I imagine you turned rather toxic and said some awful things to Mitch the last you saw him."

I did...

I didn't want to dwell too much on her words, no matter how right she might've been. She was out of line in so many ways.

"I didn't realize we were competing for the villain of the year award," I remarked. "If so, kidnap and assault might earn you that crown."

"I didn't want to do this, but you pushed me to. If you only stayed away after breaking up as normal people do, things wouldn't have escalated."

"My bad," I sarcastically replied.

Kelsey glared. "Keep up that attitude and I'll leave you here to starve."

"Do you think Mitch will forget about me just like that? He will do everything he can to fix us."

"That's the problem," Kelsey mused. "I thought after making it seem as if he slept with Liza, I'd finally be rid of you. But no such luck."

"You could've succeeded if you didn't go through all this trouble and fill me in on your master plan," I said. "I would've never taken him back if he slept with Liza or anyone else so soon after we broke up."

"This time you aren't the problem, Mitch is," Kelsey stated. "He's gotten a toxicology test done because he's convinced Liza drugged him. Typically, you couldn't see beyond yourself and failed to recognize what a bad shape he was in yesterday morning."

Mitchell told me he couldn't remember anything and that he had a terrible headache. I was way too upset to comprehend his words properly.

"The lawyer in him won't leave any stone unturned until he gets to the bottom of the matter and proves his innocence or unwillingness in what might've happened," Kelsey concluded.

"You should've expected no less when you fall for an intellectual," I said. "But I suppose only a fellow intellectual would know that."

Kelsey snarled and lifted her hand. I expected another slap but instead, the man grabbed me from behind and placed duct tape over my mouth. I struggled and screamed but it was futile – she appeared to have enjoyed it.

Kelsey rubbed her temples and shut her eyes for a second. "Why are you so difficult? You make me feel like a bad person , and I hate you even more for it."

Kelsey took in deep a breath and straightened the crease on her dress. "I need you to cooperate with me if you ever wish to see daylight again."

"I want you gone, forever. There's nothing left for you here anyway. Your family only pities you and you'd never fit into the perfect Brinson family no matter how hard you try. You're not relationship material and it's unfair to Mitchell to convince yourself otherwise. Your friends barely have time for you anymore and have moved on with their lives. The only option is for you to start afresh somewhere else. I don't care where just go."

"Once you're gone, it will hurt Mitch for some time but like before, he'll move on. I'll be the good friend to comfort him and who knows, maybe he'll finally allow a woman who truly loves and appreciates him into his life."

If Kelsey thought I was going to listen to her preposterous demands, she had another thing coming. Maybe she was right to an extent, but I loved Mitchell and there was no way I would've given up on him.

I mumbled words and mostly profanities but due to the tape, she didn't hear. Eventually, Kelsey grew annoyed with my mumbles and sighed.

"One snarky remark out of you and I'll put it back."

After Kelsey instructed, the man ripped the tape off my mouth. I winced from the pain. It felt as if he ripped a layer of skin off my face but that was the least of my worries. "You can't force someone to love you. Your plan isn't going to work."

"So, you're telling me, you won't go easily?"

I gulped and stared into her icy eyes. "I love him more than anything. I won't give up so easily."

Kelsey didn't look pleased and when she stepped closer, I stilled in fear that she was going to hurt me in some way.

She leveled her face with mine. "What if I have an offer you can't refuse?"

"Nothing you say or do will make a difference."

"Not even Leo's life?"

My body turned cold and for the first time since I opened my eyes, I was terrified. "He has nothing to do with this. Leave him alone."

"He's connected to you, so he's automatically involved."

"You'd have to be another level of depraved to hurt a sick person."

"On the contrary," Kelsey stood straight. "I want to help him."

I frowned and silently waited for her to go on.

"I know he's on the lookout for a stem cell donor and I'm a match."

Kelsey wasn't just crazy but delusional too. "You need help."

"I've been wanting to get rid of you ever since I heard about you," Kelsey spat. "I knew you wouldn't go easily so I did everything I could to convince you. With a few thousand dollars, I got a doctor who got me tested and just my luck, I was a match."

I shook my head. "How do I know you're not lying?"

Kelsey shrugged. "I guess that's a risk you're going to have to take."

A lump grew in my throat and my mind was a mess. Somehow, I had to choose between Mitchell and Leo again. Leo was very sick, and I knew without the transplant, his chances of surviving were low. But I also loved Mitchell so much, I couldn't imagine sacrificing him for anything or anyone.

"I'll let you sleep on it," Kelsey's voice broke my reverie. "I'll be back tomorrow afternoon and we'll see who you choose."

"He won't love you," I glowered. "You said so yourself, he loves me like no one else."

"He'll get over it."

"Maybe but every time he's with you, he'll think of me. He'll always be hung up on my voice, my scent, my laugh, my presence, my touch..." I stared into her eyes. "And my taste."

"Do you want to be gagged again?" Kelsey snarled.

"Don't you think he's trying to get ahold of me right now? Mitch gets anxious if he doesn't hear from me for two hours, he'll send out a search party if I'm missing for more than a day."

Kelsey twisted her face and pursed her lips. "Thank you for the reminder." She pulled out my phone from her bag. "I'm going to untie you and I want you to send a text to my number telling me how heartbroken and betrayed you are so you're going to Spain to spend some time with your grandparents."

At the mention of my grandparents, I saw some hope. Dad knew Abuela and Papa were here and so did Mitchell. I quickly agreed and promised I wouldn't pull anything funny once untied.

My wrists were bruised from the constriction, and they hurt but I was too relieved to be free to care at that moment. I took my phone and it felt like a messiah. I was tempted to open the half a dozen messages Mitchell left me but if I was to ever escape, I had to cooperate.

I typed out a message just as Kelsey instructed and she snatched the phone back. She gestured for the man to tie my hands again and I panicked.

"I promise I'll do as you say, please don't tie me again."

Kelsey pondered over my words and the room I sat in was fairly small, without any windows or means to escape.

"I'll allow you to eat and then you're going to have to be tied again."

"I swear –"

"Don't beg, Mila, it will only irritate me more!"

Kelsey walked out for a second and the man walked to the front to keep an eye on me. The way he stared at me made me uneasy. I lowered my gaze and fiddled with the bracelet still on my wrist. Just then, an idea hit me, and I slowly undid the clasp of the charm bracelet.

Kelsey was back with a plate covered with tinfoil. "I don't understand you Americans. You eat turkey in November when it's supposed to be eaten for Christmas. But I'm here to fix that."

Kelsey wickedly smirked and handed me the plate filled with turkey legs and something that looked like ham. There were no vegetables or even mashed potatoes which told me she did it on purpose. "Eat up, I can't wait all day. I've got to meet Mitch and pretend to have just flown in, worried about both of you."

I gulped and felt sick just looking at the plate full of meat. "I'm vegetarian. I can't eat that."

"Oops," Kelsey scorned. "It must've slipped my mind. Too bad this is all I've got."

"You did this on purpose."

Kelsey shrugged. "Come on Mila, I'm not that cruel."

I scoffed in response.

Kelsey wasn't pleased, her smirk faded, and she spoke silently to the man with her eyes. I had no time to comprehend anything when the man held me down on the chair and Kelsey forced my mouth open. Horrorstruck, I shook my head and kicked my legs to try and get away, but it was futile. My hands were held tightly by the man while Kelsey forced a chunk of turkey into my mouth. She shut my mouth and forced me to chew. The taste of the turkey made me gag and my stomach churned.

"That's one way to shut your mouth," Kelsey snarled.

I didn't swallow and the awful taste of meat lingered in my mouth. Tears escaped the corner of my eyes, and I was close to throwing up. Kelsey must've noticed and pulled away. She threw the plate down by my feet as one would've to feed an animal and dusted her hands.

I spat out the food and coughed up whatever was left in my mouth. I grabbed the water bottle I was fed from and gargled my mouth before I gulped down whatever water was left.

Breathless, I wiped my eyes and glared at her. I bit my tongue before she tortured me anymore and grabbed the opportunity to leave some evidence on her. I caught Kelsey off guard, grabbed her coat, and pulled her forward. She nearly toppled over but held onto me for support and in that split second, I slipped my bracelet into her pocket.

Kelsey caught her step, stood straight, and slapped me twice across the cheek again. "You stupid bitch!"

She snapped her fingers and the man tied my hands once again. I wanted to scream for help but knew it wouldn't have been wise to do so.

"Try anything stupid like that again and making you eat meat would be a blessing, understood?" Kelsey pointed her finger. "Tomorrow, I want an answer and it better be the right one."

The man followed Kelsey out and my stomach dropped. I feared the dark with the rats again but as the light left the room, my hope grew.

I was cold and Exhausted with the worst headache I've ever had. I felt sleepy and my eyes drooped. "Mitch..." I hoarsely mumbled. "Find me."

A/N Did any of you ever suspect Kelsey? Do you think Mitch will find her?

Let me know your thoughts,
Till then,
Tina

पढ़ना जारी रखें

आपको ये भी पसंदे आएँगी

5.9K 104 43
Evanly's desires of being loved, feeling affection, satisfaction and sex were casted aside as she was stuck in a loveless marriage, but light shined...
93.5K 1.4K 15
He brought his hands up and tucked my hair behind my ear. coming closer to my ear "Do i arouse you?" he whispered, making my knees weak "I can feel...
6.1K 97 26
Kendall has always lived a quiet life in a small town in Illinois with her family, friends, and boyfriend Jordan. Her life had been mostly happy othe...
703 44 20
"Give me one valid reason as to why I should sign this?" He said leaning back on his chair, folding his arms against his chest. "Umm...you'd get a y...