Daisy in a Meadow

By EmmUrFav

Daisy Johnson has never had it easy. Whether it be at home where her mother hardly notices her, or at school... More

1 - Crazy Daisy
2 - Stranded
3 - Claustrophobia
4 - Bubble Tea
5 - Friend
6 - Ruby
8 - Betrayal
9 - Home
10 - Lunchtime
11 - Captain
12 - Drunk
13 - Pool
14 - Followed
15 - Secrets
16 - Underground
17 - Fight
18 - Groceries
19 - Closure
20 - Universities
21 - Intrusion
22 - Eavesdropping
23 - Park
24 - Dishes
25 - Movie
26 - Perspectives
27 - Phys Ed Class
28 - Distance
29 - Alone
30 - Christmas Eve
31 - Changes
32 - Badminton
33 - Tryouts
34 - Unannounced Visits
35 - A Deal's A Deal
36 - Acceptance
37 - Fight
38 - Expulsion
39 - Confessions
40 - Love
41 - Betrayal
42 - Break Up
43 - Regret
44 - Split Second
45 - Awake

7 - Cheer Squad

14.9K 517 289
By EmmUrFav

After a lengthy conversation with Ruby that took up the entirety of our lunch, I learned much about her. Just like me, she was a senior. Her parents had just gotten divorced, which was why she'd just moved here. It was also why she had no friends.

She'd asked me to introduce her to the rest of my friends. When I told her I had none, she wasn't discouraged. In fact, she'd insisted on me coming over to her house after school, so that we could be lonely together—her words, not mine.

"Do you ever wonder what things would be like if you had no hair?" Ruby asked as she hung upside down from her bed.

"No, not really."

"Because I do," she carried on. "I mean, I can't imagine not being a ginger. My parents literally named me Ruby because my hair is red. Without my hair, I wouldn't even have a name!"

"I'm sure they would've named you something else," I sat up thoughtfully. "Say you were blonde. Maybe they'd have named you... Sunshine."

"What kind of a horrible name is Sunshine?"

"My mother's name is Sunshine," I frowned.

"Oh," she froze. "I'm sorry."

A smile fell onto my lips.

"You liar," she laughed, whacking me with a pillow.

I giggled. "Jokes aside though, now that you mention it, I think my hair's had a bigger impact on me than I realize."

"How so?"

"Well, kids can be mean, and growing up, it wasn't rare for someone to pet my hair like I was some animal, or marvel at how long it was, as if black girls can't have long hair," I admitted. "I always felt like it made me different in a bad way. Over time, though, I've learned to love my curls. They're my favourite part about myself."

Ruby was quiet as she listened to me. Then she blinked. "You, Daisy Johnson, are a badass."

*****

The next day at school, I was standing at my locker when Ruby came running up to me.

"Did you hear? Did you hear?" She was excitedly waving a flyer in my face.

"What?" I was bewildered.

"Cheerleading tryouts are this Friday!"

I quirked a brow. "You cheerlead?"

"Yeah, I was on the team at my old school," she replied. "But, Daisy, the team here is hardcore. Do you think I even have a shot?"

I was a bit hesitant. To put it simple, the Oakland High cheerleaders were horrible human beings. The captain, Heather, was Anthony's girlfriend. That should say enough. However, I didn't want to discourage Ruby. After all, she looked like she was practically going to explode with joy.

"I think you'd be stupid not to try out," I said.

She squealed and jumped up and down before running away. Just then, Malcolm approached me. Standing behind him was Andre, who looked like he'd rather be anywhere but next to me.

"Who's the chick?" Malcolm asked.

"Who?"

"The ginger, of course."

"Oh, that's Ruby, my new best friend," I grinned.

"No," he dramatically clutched his heart, stumbling back against the lockers. "Y-You're replacing me?"

I laughed at his dramatics, but my smile quickly fell once he began to slide onto the ground and groan in pain.

"Boy, get up," I whisper-shouted. "People are looking."

This encouraged him to wail louder. "It hurts!"

I slowly began to walk away from him.

"The pain!" he howled.

"She's gone," I heard Andre warily sigh. "You can get up now."

I softly laughed and shook my head before heading to class.

*****

When Monday rolled around the following week, Ruby was a nervous wreck.

"Oh, I can't look," she groaned as the list was posted on the bulletin board. "Please, I need you to check for me."

"Okay," I pushed through the pack of girls swarming around the list. "Ruby, I'm so sorry..."

"No," she gasped.

I suddenly grinned. "Sorry you're so talented! Congrats, you made the team!"

We both squealed and jumped up and down. Ruby latched onto me. "Oh em gee! Thank you, Daisy!"

"What? Why me? This was all you!"

"I never would've tried out if it weren't for you," she gave me a genuine smile. "You're an awesome friend."

I only smiled back at her. It felt strange, being referred to as someone's friend. I just wasn't used to it.

"Hey, what do you say we get some celebratory ice cream after school?" I suggested.

"Sounds like a plan."

With that, we linked arms and walked down the halls together, identical smiles on our faces. It was the first time in a long time I'd actually felt happy.

After school that day, as Ruby and I ate ice cream in the shop, she wouldn't stop talking about how she'd made the cheer squad. I admired her excitement, although it did make me a little bit nervous. I hoped the other girls on the squad weren't going to be mean to her. She didn't deserve it.

"Do you think I'll get loads of male attention once people realize I made the team?" she asked me.

"Hmm, I think so," I replied after swallowing a spoonful of my chocolate ice cream. "The guys at this school practically worship the cheerleaders. Plus, they only allow pretty girls onto the team."

She beamed. "Really? Where'd you hear that?"

I shrugged, though without waiting for an answer, she spoke again.

"I wonder if any of the new guys will look at me," she sighed, twirling a strand of her red hair. "They're so hot."

"Not you too," I groaned. "You're talking about Elias, Andre, and Malcolm, aren't you."

"Yeah, actually," she looked surprised. "Do you know them?"

"Unfortunately," I mumbled before looking around. "You can't tell anyone what I'm about to tell you, okay?"

Ruby's eyes widened and she eagerly nodded. "I won't. Promise."

I nodded and took a deep breath. "On the first day of school, I got in a bit of a pickle with the guys. In order to get their revenge on me, they locked me in the janitor's closet. I wasn't let out until the next day."

"The next day?" Ruby gasped in horror. "That's just horrible!"

"I know, and I've got claustrophobia, so that certainly didn't help," I said. "In other words, I had a panic attack."

She was at a loss for words. "Wow, I heard some rumours but I had no idea the guys were actually like that."

"Funnily enough, Malcolm and I have become friends now. As for the other two, well..."

Ruby looked like she was dying to hear more, but a holler made us both glance up.

"Hey, Ruby!"

It was Heather, the captain of the cheer squad. Behind her were the rest of the cheerleaders, each clad in their matching red and white uniforms.

"Hey, Heather," Ruby squeaked, looking a bit nervous.

"Why don't you come sit with us?" Heather said, although it didn't sound like much of a question.

"Oh," Ruby looked delighted. "Can Daisy come too?"

Heather looked quite dismayed. It was no secret she didn't like me. After all, her boyfriend hated my guts, meaning she did too.

"Sorry, cheerleaders only. But if you don't want to come, it's totally up to you."

My heart sank as Heather and the rest of the cheerleaders went to go sit at a table. It was clear Ruby was torn.

"Go," I said after a moment.

"Really?" She looked surprised. "I wouldn't want to leave you here alone."

"Don't worry, I'm finished anyways," I showed her my empty cup of ice cream. "See?"

"Alright," Ruby jumped up, excited to spend some time with her new teammates. "Thanks, Daisy. I'll see you tomorrow?"

"You know it," I smiled.

We hugged and bid farewell before separating, her joining the rest of the cheer squad at a booth, and me heading outside the ice cream shop.

The walk back home was silent.

*****

Hmm, what do you guys think about Ruby so far?

I'm watching the World Cup final right now, Argentina is currently beating France!

QOTD: your fav drink? (besides water)
AOTD: nestea

Hope you guys enjoyed! Next chapter will be out in 2 days.

Love, Emmanuela<3

12/18/2022

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

3.1M 78.2K 40
Loneliness is nothing new to Elena Kinsley. She had to grow up pretty quickly when her dad left her to work abroad, and she's taken care of herself...
14.4K 440 16
𝐑𝐘𝐃𝐄𝐑 𝐀𝐃𝐀𝐌𝐒 was a social butterfly, effortlessly making friends wherever he goes. But his life took an turn when his father was elected as...
44 1 7
In high school days
833K 24.6K 68
"He's lucky I let him live!" He kicks the chair he was sitting on, "I can't stand the thought of anyone hurting you." He takes slow steady steps towa...