Flipside

By Amethyst_Atherton

Lan Wangji. Also known as the Second Jade of Lan. To everyone else, he's known as being icy and frigid with a... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
A/N
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Discussion.
Chapter 16
Jiangnan Character Introduction.
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28

Chapter 3

824 64 15
By Amethyst_Atherton

The sun was beaming down on Cloud Recesses.

Two months had gone by in a flash, and the next thing you know lectures were about to start.

Wangji had earned enough money from Young Lady Yi's wedding to expand Fuyu's, and right now he was the sixteenth richest person in Jiangnan.

Not bad, but he knew he could do a lot better.

After all, with talent like his, it was only a matter of time before he made it into the top ten.

But right now, he had to survive the absolute hell that was lectures.

He didn't even understand why he was attending them anyway. He knew all this boring cultivator stuff already!

Furthermore, he'd rather be in his luxurious manor in Jiangnan, building his fashion empire.

Not in plain old Gusu, stuck at a desk for a year!

But it couldn't be helped. The very best he could do was to free up as much spare time as he possibly could to go back and forth.

Hopefully, by the time lectures were over, he would be one step closer to a pond of banknotes, and a thousand steps further away from his uncle.

For now, all he could do was keep his head low and pray that some terrible thing would happen and lectures would be cancelled.

Once again slipping on  his boring Gusu Lan robes with the basic-looking forehead ribbon, he walked down the mundane paths of Cloud Recesses.

He gave a little smile as he adjusted his scarlet inner robe.

It was one of the little victories that Wangji let himself have while he was in Gusu.

It was one of the first pieces of clothing that Wangji made for himself. He spent days embroidering a golden Phoenix surrounded by pink and orange flowers on it.

Not only that, if you looked closely enough, all of his Gusu robes were in fact high-end replicas.

His robes were made from the finest satin that felt nicer to the touch, and he had custom boots made.

Even though nobody could see it, it made him feel good. It was a constant reminder that there were brighter, more exciting things in life to be enjoyed than lessons and meditation.

Putting on his trademark 'I'm emotionally constipated' face, he walked into the Hanshi to have tea with his older brother.

"Wangji," Xichen said, ushering his brother in. 

Sitting down stoically, Wangji accepted a teacup from his brother.

"How have things been with you?"

"Mn" He mundanely replied. With his brother he didn't need to say much, most of the time he didn't need to say anything at all. He was always good at communicating with his eyes. 

"The young sect heirs are coming for lectures later today. "

"Mn."

Xichen just couldn't understand his brother sometimes. It was like he wanted to be friendly, but it seemed like it was more than being socially awkward.

Sometimes, it was like he was hiding something from him. Like he was a lot more capable of having friends than he appeared. 

But even so, if Wangji didn't feel like making friends, that was his decision. But Xichen wanted to help his little brother out in any way he could. 

Even if that help was not wanted. Or needed.

"Wangji," Xichen said expectantly.

'Here we go' Wangji thought, rolling his eyes in his head. 

'Another riveting speech about forming friendships. I'm doing just fine, thank you very much.'

"Lectures won't be so bad this year. This year, it's not just Young Master Nie attending. I've heard that the Jin Sect will be sending their Young master. "

Wangji just glared at him.

'Ugh, Jins. Just what I need. That sect's fashion sense has been ghastly for decades. I mean, come on, lemon yellow with amber? Matchy matchy much? Their colour coordination alone should be a crime punishable by death.'

"Young Master Jiang, Young Lady Jiang and Young Master Wei WuXian will also be attending." He said, avoiding his brother's merciless gaze. 

That seemed to get his attention a little. 

He had heard of Jiang WanYin and his sister. From what he knew, Jiang WanYin was a hothead like his mother and his sister was more calm and collected like their father.

 But this Wei WuXian character was a bit of a mystery, he had only heard snippets of gossip here and there. 

Apparently, he was Jiang FengMian's ward and was taken in at a young age. Anything other than that, he didn't know. 

But nonetheless, his interest was piqued. 

Seeing the slight change in his brother's eyes, Xichen inwardly smiled.

'So there are some things that interest you.'

"I'll leave you to get on with your day,"  Xichen said, feeling hopeful about this year.

Wangji nodded, graciously getting up from his seat and leaving.

'What's with that look in his eyes?' Wangji thought, walking around aimlessly.

'Nothing good ever happens to me when he has that look in his eyes.'

Wangji's mind went back to his brother's incessant efforts in the past to help him make friends. All the endless times he tried to set up useless play dates with other Lan disciples that ended up as useless endeavours.

It's not that he didn't want to make friends with people within his own home, it's just that with his situation he couldn't. 

His uncle knew about almost everything that happened within Cloud Recesses. If he ever opened up to anyone, especially a Lan, there's no doubt that Lan Qiren would find out about it sooner or later. 

He didn't like it, but if he wanted to live his life the way he wanted to, then it was a small price to pay. 

However, there were occasions when he couldn't take it anymore.

Sometimes he wanted to scream it out from the rooftops and tell the world that there was more to Lan Wangji than perfect grades and a stuck-up demeanour.

But every time he met his uncle's cold and merciless gaze, his body would seize up, and the words would die in his throat.  

He just couldn't tell anyone. Han JiHua becoming his friend was a complete accident and a one-off. 

But nonetheless, he was grateful for having someone to talk to. But it was lonely at times, not being able to say a word. Even if he excluded his uncle, it hurt not to tell his older brother.

Even if he was a little meddling at times, he was always there for him. 

After their mother died, and their father secluded himself to go wallow in self-pity, he was the only one who showed him any warmth. 

But what was he supposed to do? As much as he loved his sect. He loved his mansion more. 

He wasn't apathetic or anything, or maybe he was, he didn't really know. 

But after years of having to put a front and conceal his emotions, he really just didn't care anymore. So what if he wanted to be selfish?

At this rate, he was surprised he hadn't become a misanthropist. After everything this god-damn sect had put him through, he felt like he deserved this.

Right? 

Letting his thoughts get the better of him, he found himself at the back hills. 

Sighing in irritancy to himself, he headed back towards the main entrance. Going along the small winding path, he came towards the foot of the mountain. 

Looking at the familiar stone with the endless rules of Gusu engraved in it, he gave it a scowl of displeasure.

Sometimes he fantasized about taking a sledgehammer to the horrid thing and smashing it into rubble.   

He had hated that dreadful thing since he could remember. All he could think of was how rules that were written hundreds of years ago by people he didn't even know controlled his entire life.

All these traditions were just peer pressure from dead people. And these expectations his uncle set on him were only so he could get prestige from his achievements.

Running his hands over the engravings, he swore to himself that he would never conform to the standards set by a bunch of ancient oppressors that mass-produced emotionally dead Lans by the dozen. 

If he didn't break the generational trauma, who would? 

He walked up the irritating winding steps, being careful not to stain his robes.

'I hope whoever thought it would be a good idea to build a sect at the top of a mountain is burning in hell right now.' He begrudgingly thought until he could hear voices from the summit of the steps.

'Who's talking?...Lectures!'

Inwardly cursing, he slowly came up the stairs, keeping to the inside of the steps as so not to be seen. 

"I can't believe I forgot about those stupid lectures." He muttered to himself

"It's fine, it's fine. I'll just walk past them."

"According to Lan Clans principles, everyone coming in for lectures is not allowed in without an invitation. " The Lan disciple at the gate explained, much to the annoyance of everyone.

"Buddy, look.  I've told you a thousand times, we accidentally lost our invitations ." Wuxian explained in a slightly whiney tone.

"We never intended to lose it. What's more, all of us are standing here. What can we lie to you about?"

"Sir, without an invitation, I can't identify you people." The disciple persisted.

Doing exactly what he said he would, Wangji appeared from around the corner, along with a dramatic gust of wind that made his robes flutter.

Honestly, drama followed him wherever he went.

Instantly attracting everyone's attention, he breezed past the group and simply made his way to the front gate.

In a split second, he happened to walk by Wei Ying.

And at that moment it felt like time had stood still, and everyone else was blurred out completely, leaving only them.

'Is he using a spell?' Wuxian thought, picking up the trace amounts of spiritual energy coming off of him. His eyes glued to him in intrigue.

'But what for? I can't figure it out.'

"Second Young Young Master Lan, welcome back." The disciple greeted Wangji, bowing at a ninety-degree angle. 

"This Second Young Master Lan must be must be Lan Wangji, one of the Twin Jades of Lan and the younger brother of their clan leader Lan Xichen." Jiang Cheng whispered, leaning over towards Wei Ying.

"He must be our key to get in."

Jiang Cheng was about to step forward when four people carrying an unconscious man on a stretcher appeared from behind them.

Peering in curiosity at the man, Wei Ying took note of the weird marks on his neck.

"What happened?" The disciple guarding the gate asked Wangji.

"Just carry him inside." He frigidly replied.

"How did he end up like that?" Jiang Cheng whispered.

"End? He's not dead, more likely he was cursed by some wicked sorcery. " Wuxian replied, now getting Wangji's attention. 

Taking his chance, Jiang Cheng stepped forward to introduce himself.

"Uh, Second Young Master Lan, I am Jiang Cheng from the Jiang Clan of Yunmeng, son of our clan leader Jiang Fengmian. " He said, a little intimidated by Wangji's frosty face.

"This is my sister Jiang Yanli. And my senior brother Wei Ying, also known as Wei Wuxian."

He briefly looked over to Wei Wuxian, who was still staring.

'So he's Wei Wuxian?" He thought, glancing towards him. '...He's a lot more handsome than I thought he'd be.'

"Second Young Master Lan, we've heard so much about you." Jiang Cheng interjected, snapping Wangji of their eye contact.

"Second Young Master Lan, we accidentally lost our invitations. It's getting late and it's inconvenient to sleep outside. Please make a merciful exception for us. "

'Believe me, if it wasn't against the rules I would. As much as I don't want to, I'm gonna have to be a jerk today.'

"No invitation, no entry." He coldly replied.

"Second Young Master Lan, it was an accident. We never intended to lose it. Please make an exception."Wuxian pleaded, now annoyed at this handsome young master who he couldn't figure out.

"Find it and come back."He said, walking up the stairs and leaving them.

"Second Young Master Lan!" Wuxian shouted out to him.

" The sun is about to set and we're more than 20 miles away from Caiyi town. You're asking us to find it now. What an imposition. Second Young Master Lan!"

'Could you please stop making me feel like more of a jerk than I already do?'Wangji inwardly sighed, ascending the steps.

 'What, you think I want to be stuck up all the time?'

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

188K 10.8K 39
[Completed] After being separated by morals, by death, and at last by duties, Wei Wuxian and Lan Wangji find themselves with an empty space in their...
60.2K 2.5K 11
Wei Wuxian and Lan Wangji's Second Life after Reincarnation, but this time Wei Wuxian didn't want to be the underdog to Lan Wangji. ️ Top/Seme : We...
201K 13.4K 57
In the university, Lan Wangji is a famous bad boy; an engineering student with a love for racing and bikes. He's a charismatic, rich and cocky alpha...
49.1K 2K 13
what if the mdzs universe also included secondary genders what if only soulmates react stronger to each other phormones than everybody else what if l...