Daisy in a Meadow

By EmmUrFav

Daisy Johnson has never had it easy. Whether it be at home where her mother hardly notices her, or at school... More

1 - Crazy Daisy
2 - Stranded
3 - Claustrophobia
5 - Friend
6 - Ruby
7 - Cheer Squad
8 - Betrayal
9 - Home
10 - Lunchtime
11 - Captain
12 - Drunk
13 - Pool
14 - Followed
15 - Secrets
16 - Underground
17 - Fight
18 - Groceries
19 - Closure
20 - Universities
21 - Intrusion
22 - Eavesdropping
23 - Park
24 - Dishes
25 - Movie
26 - Perspectives
27 - Phys Ed Class
28 - Distance
29 - Alone
30 - Christmas Eve
31 - Changes
32 - Badminton
33 - Tryouts
34 - Unannounced Visits
35 - A Deal's A Deal
36 - Acceptance
37 - Fight
38 - Expulsion
39 - Confessions
40 - Love
41 - Betrayal
42 - Break Up
43 - Regret
44 - Split Second
45 - Awake

4 - Bubble Tea

17.6K 582 573
By EmmUrFav

I didn't go to school for the rest of the week, still reeling from the incident.

Frankly, if it were up to me, I wouldn't attend school next week either. It wasn't like anybody cared if I did or didn't. However, the inner nerd in me cared too much about my grades and attendance to skip class again.

And so, on Monday morning, I slicked my curls into a high ponytail and headed to my first period English class, uncertain of what the day would bring.

I decided to sit in the back corner, where hopefully, no one would notice me. People steadily trickled in as the minutes passed. When the bell rang, a familiar face made me tense. Malcolm.

It was the first time I'd seen one of the boys since the day after they'd locked me in the janitors closet. While Malcolm initially seemed like the sweetest of the three, I quickly realized that I was mistaken. He was just like every other bully at this school, and I couldn't trust him.

Which was why I was stunned when he sat next to me.

Without looking at him, I scooted away.

"So, you're finally back," Malcolm smiled, his blue eyes twinkling.

I ignored him.

"Oh, come on. You can't possibly still be mad," he continued.

"There are multiple other seats in this classroom," I curtly said, a polite version of screw you and go sit somewhere else.

"What's the big deal? It was just a little prank," he laughed.

"A little prank?" I hissed. "You locked me in the janitor's closet overnight."

He was taken aback. "I mean... I figured the janitor would've let you out after a little bit."

"Yeah, well, he didn't," I bitterly scoffed. "And I've got severe claustrophobia, so thanks to you, I had a panic attack."

Malcolm was at a loss of words. He actually looked guilty. "Daisy—"

"Just leave me alone," I sighed before facing the front.

I could feel his blue eyes boring into the side of my skull, before he reluctantly did as I said and looked away. We spent the rest of class in silence.

When the bell rang, I was one of the first to jump up. I swiftly maneuvered through the halls, though a brief shout made me slow down.

"Hey, Daisy, wait up!"

It was Malcolm. He looked breathless as he caught up to me, and he nervously ran a hand through his blond hair.

"Yes?" I warily asked, clutching my binders to my chest.

"Look, I'm sorry," he seemed to be looking for the right words. "What we did to you was a little extreme."

"A little?"

"Okay, a lot. Why don't I make it up to you? What are you doing after school?"

"Are you asking me out?"

"Wha—no," he rushed, before blushing. "I-I mean, not that I wouldn't. You're a beautiful girl, but it's not like that. I just—"

"Relax," I laughed, my dimples showing. "I know what you meant."

He grinned back at me. "Why don't we head over to that new bubble tea place that just opened down the street? We can work on the English homework together."

At my clear reluctance, he continued. "Please? It'll be my treat."

I hesitantly smiled. "Alright."

"Perfect. It's a date. Wait, not like that! I meant—"

"Malcolm."

"Yes?"

"Shut up."

"Okay."

*****

By last period, I noticed that Malcolm, Andre, and Elias seemed to be receiving lots of attention at our school, not to my surprise. After all, they were new and good-looking, which was enough to pique everyone's interest.

"I heard they've all been in juvie," said the girl sitting in front of me in my last period History class.

"Really? What for?" whispered the girl next to her.

"I don't know, but apparently Elias dug a hole through the ground, and that's how they escaped. They've been on the run ever since, under false identities. That's why they all moved here."

I rolled my dark brown eyes. That was a reach, although it was the most realistic theory I'd heard all day.

"Wow," her friend replied. "Elias is so dreamy. I wonder if he's single. You think he'd go for me?"

"Honestly, I think I'm more his type," the other girl replied.

This time, I couldn't contain my snort. The two girls snapped their heads back at me.

"Got a problem?" said the one on the left, giving me a glare.

"Not at all. Please, continue."

"You're just jealous. A guy like that would never think twice about Crazy Daisy," said the other one.

"Trust me girl, you can have him," I dryly murmured, barely glancing up as I took notes.

They both huffed before turning back around and resuming their conversation.

Pigs would have to fly before I could ever like Elias. He was nothing but a douchebag, and I had met enough of those to last a lifetime.

The bell suddenly rang, signifying the day was over. With a sigh, I grabbed my bag and began to make my way out of school. As I reached the front door, an arm suddenly wrapped around my shoulder.

I gasped and grabbed the arm, immediately jumping into defence mode.

"Relax, it's just me!" Malcolm yelped.

"Don't run up on me like that! I could've hurt you."

"Oh, the horror," he fake gasped, peering down at my 5'2 figure. "Anyways, what's got you on edge?"

"What do you mean?"

"You practically jumped when I put my arm around you," he gave me a sceptical look, as if to say, that's not normal.

I opened my mouth, but no words came out. How was I supposed to explain that I'd only been defensive because I was so used to getting bullied?

"Sorry, you just stink so bad. Your armpit gave me a fright," I blurted.

Malcolm sniffed his armpit. "Makes sense."

I snorted. As we reached the crowded school parking lot, we passed by Elias and Andre, who were leaned against a flashy red car.

"Malcolm? Where are you going?" Andre stood up straight, gaping at the pair of us. He even pushed his dreads out of his eyes to make sure he was seeing correctly.

"We're going to get bubble tea," he cheerfully answered. "Wanna come?"

"Wha—no! You're fraternizing with the enemy!" Andre seemed bewildered. He looked at Elias for backup, though Elias silently analyzed the two of us, his eyes narrowed into slits.

"You're being dramatic," Malcolm casually chuckled.

"Are you forgetting she snitched on us?" Andre emphasized.

"Old news," Malcolm shrugged.

He began to walk again. I quickly followed after him, barely glancing back at the other two. However, I could feel their eyes trained on my back.

I was stunned by Malcolm's little display of defensiveness over me, though if he noticed my shock, he didn't show it.

"Anyways, bubble tea?" He playfully held his arm out for me.

"Bubble tea." I smiled back before linking our arms. With that, we were off.

*****

School got canceled today because of the snow, meaning I was able to do a double update!! Malcolm is such a sweetheart tbh. What do you guys think about him so far? Can he be trusted, or does he have ulterior motives....

QOTD: how many more days until Christmas?
AOTD: 10 days, I can't wait!

Please leave vote or comment, it's very appreciated!

Love, Emmanuela<3

12/15/2022

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

2.6K 147 33
Daisy Wellman is your average typical teenager, doesn't get bad grades but they aren't exactly As either. She isn't really known around the school bu...
2.4K 116 30
Scarlet just wants to be left alone and finish high school as she moved away from her home. People at her old school saw her as odd and she only had...
531K 11.4K 67
Read...
1M 25.1K 101
*COMPLETED* She is a beautiful, high school girl who lives in Lansing, Michigan, with great grades and amazing athleticism. The one and only, Kaytlyn...