Rogues

By Caleb_Brosme

Nathan Bryce is the next alpha in line, his pack has lived in River Valley for generations. Caleb Brosme is a... More

Chapter I
Chapter II
Chapter III
Chapter IV
Chapter V
Chapter VI
Chapter VII
Chapter IX
Chapter X
Chapter XI
Chapter XII
Chapter XIII
Chapter XIV
Chapter XV
Chapter XVI
Chapter XVII
Chapter XVIII
Chapter XIX
Chapter XX
Chapter XXI
Chapter XXII
Chapter XXIII
Chapter XXIV
Chapter XXV
Chapter XXVI
Chapter XXVII
Chapter XXVIII
Chapter XXIX
Chapter XXX
Chapter XXXI
Chapter XXXII
Chapter XXXIII
Chapter XXXIV
Chapter XXXV
Chapter XXXVI
Chapter XXXVII
Chapter XXXVIII
Chapter XXXIX
Chapter XL
Chapter XLI
Chapter XLII
Chapter XLIII
Chapter XLIV
Chapter XLV
Chapter XLVI
Chapter XLVII
Chapter XLVIII
Chapter XLIX
Chapter L
Chapter LI
Chapter LII
Chapter LIII
Chapter LIV
Chapter LV
Chapter LVI
Chapter LVII
Author's Note

Chapter VIII

343 16 1
By Caleb_Brosme

- Caleb -

*** Ring, ring... ring, ring... ***

That damn thing rang for the hundredth time this morning. Maya hasn't stopped calling me ever since Nathan gave her that device. She's like a pup with a new chewing toy. I know that sounds derogative, but judging by the circumstance, it fits perfectly. I don't even need to look at the name to know it's her. I mean seriously, who else would be calling me this early? I wish that thing to shut down once and for all. Seriously, it was two in the morning when her last call entered. I was about to head out and murder her. If it weren't because rooms are a little soundproof, my family would as well. Now, it's barely 6:00 in the morning and she's already calling.

*** Ring, ring... ring, ring... ***

- What?! – I answer upset after pressing the green button. Putting it near my ear, just like Nathan taught us.

- Oh, my goddess, this is amazing... - her voice emanates from the small device. She completely ignored me.

- Maya seriously, stop calling. –

- Chill, Cal. I was just calling to check up on you. Wanna go train? – she asks casually, making me more upset.

- It's 6:00 in the morning. – I protest while rubbing my eyes.

- So? We're losing daylight. – Oh, goddess just kill me already.

- Maya, I worked nightshift patrol, and I'm tired. – I complain, having no intentions of getting up this early.

- Come on, you can sleep in the afternoon. – she insists, damn she can be stubborn.

- Do I have to? –

- See you in 10 at the arena. – and with that, she ended the conversation leaving that annoying sound on the phone.

I stand up against my will, my body irritated from the overwork I've been putting in since the elders and Alaric asked me to. On top of that, I have to walk every morning to that school and now Maya doesn't let me sleep. I put some clothes on and head to the arena. My siblings are still asleep, I envy them. They have nothing to worry about, my goddess I miss those days. As I walk towards the arena I greet several pack members, they all seem happy. At least they are adapting well to the change.

- Good morning, you took forever. – Maya complains as I approach her.

- Yeah, whatever. Where is your brother? – I replied tiresomely.

- Is that how you treat your girlfriend? Jeez, no wonder nobody likes you. – she nagged with a playful look.

- What are you talking about? We're not dating. – I remind her and yawn a little.

- Yeah, I know. Still, it wouldn't kill you to be a little more affectionate. – she says dryly. Where is this all coming from?

- What? – I ask bewildered.

- Just messing with you. I simply like nagging you. – she says with the nicest smile on her face.

- That's why you woke me up at six in the morning? To bother me. – I wonder; she can be unbelievable sometimes.

- Nah, I was serious about training. Come let's go for a run. – she said turning around and heading towards the woods.

- Hey Maya. What do you think about domestics? – I ask, making her stop to face me. She frowned at me confused as to the question.

- The same, they're insufferable. Why the sudden question? – she asks back.

- No reason, just wondering. – I simply respond.

- Although Nate is okay, I guess. He at least tries, so there's that. But... -

- but they're too childish. Yeah, thought the same. – I finish the sentence, and she nods in response. – Nymeria is contemplating an alliance with them. – I drop the bomb.

- Wait, what? Really? – she asks shocked by the news.

- Yeah, she believes it'll make both packs stronger... I think she's right. - I explain further.

- Why are you telling me this? – she asks confused.

- Because you're not even trying to understand them. I see you with Luke just judging everyone around at school. I know you don't like domestics, trust me, they're not my favorite people either, but it would be wrong to judge a place when we have only been there a week. – I said, watching her expression. She's not happy, her scent gives it away. – Just try, okay? – I added kindly. She stares at me, not angry or upset, just looking at me, deep into my eyes before nodding.

- I just hate how quickly things are changing. – she admitted, looking away. Out of all of us, she's the one having the hardest time adapting.

- Yeah, I know. But who knows maybe it's for the better, right? – I try easing her mind. It's time she comes to terms with this.

- I hope so... - she agreed with a faded smile. – Whatever, how about that run? Maybe this time I'll be able to beat you. – she changed the subject. Her voice is more uplifting. It'll take some time, but she'll get there.

- Hah, you wish. – I mock and started jogging, and she follows.

Maya is very strong and always has been. People think Luke is the one in charge, but he does whatever his sister says. Even as a kid she was extremely competitive, frequently beating males in combat. She even placed third on the future beta in command trials, just behind Dyrus and me. Not only that, she's very smart and cunning. She spends most of her time working out and training with elites. I know she'll become an elite someday and maybe even be the head of them. To top everything, she's a healer, the rarest of our kind. As their name states, healers have greater healing capacitates, being able to aid with others' injuries. Of course, they have limits, it's not like they can cure everything in the blink of an eye. Healers absorb your pain and injury on their bodies and heal it themselves. But if the injury is too big, it's risky for them as well.

Only about 1 wolf in 1,000,000 is a healer. They were hunted for their healing properties. It was thought that by killing one, your healing ability would spike, but you couldn't heal others anymore. This applied to humans as well, werewolf hunters killed entire packs just for the healer. They were brought to extinction, very few remain, and are now cherished and protected. Another trait that sets them apart is their eyes, which glow leaf green. Even after killing someone, the color remains the same. That's how it works, green is for healers, red is for alphas, gold is for normal wolves and blue is for warriors, although domestics would say differently.

After our run, we headed to the arena and started training in combat. We've been fighting for over an hour now. It's a clean fistfight; she's trying desperately to land a hit, but I'm not making it easy. She may be strong, but she's still not able to defeat me. She over-commits with a kick, and I manage to knock her down.

- Dammit, I almost had you. – she says frustrated to herself.

- No, you didn't. – I argue.

- One day, Brosme, I'll kick your ass. – she threatens playfully out of breath. I smile.

- Come on, let's go again. – I say offering my hand.

- Nah, I think a got enough for today. – she says taking my hand and getting up. She dusts herself off.

- I see that you are improving Maya. – I hear another voice on the back. – Maybe now you'll be more than a warmup. – he says arrogantly as always.

- What are you doing here Dyrus? – Maya spats.

Dyrus is Convel's son. He's the most arrogant wolf in the pack. As the son of the Beta in command, he was expected to become one as well, before I took his title. He's not bad though, just very full of himself. Other than that, he's okay; extremely strong, quick and one of our best fighters. To be honest, it took all I got to defeat him. He's about my height, 6'1'', I'm just a bit taller than him. Dyrus was the one who took Maya out of the trials, and she hates him since then.

- Geez, Maya. No need to be a sour loser, get over it. – he says calmly but with the same arrogant tone.

- I'll tell you the same after I kick your ass. – she bites back.

- Oh, really? When is that going to be? – he said condescendingly.

- Sooner than you think. – Maya threatens confidently.

- So feisty. I love it. – he said and Maya rolled her eyes in disgust. – Caleb, my man, how you've been? I haven't seen you around lately. – he greets me with a friendly tone.

- I'm good, how about you? – I respond.

- All good. So, you've been running with domestics, how's that been? – he asks, putting an arm around my shoulder in a friendly but arrogant way.

- Not as bad as you think. –

- Really? Huh, didn't see that coming. – Dyrus adds surprised. – Either way, you haven't been around lately. Do you want to train with someone who's at your level? – he asks me but looked at Maya with a mocking smile.

- Nah, I'm good. I have other things to take care of. – I respond, getting his arm off my shoulder.

- Oh, come on. You're not afraid, are you? – he protests.

- Afraid? Hah, he took the title from you. You should watch your words with him. – Maya defended me, not that I needed help, she just did it to annoy Dyrus.

- Maya, let it go. It's not worth it. – I try to avoid a conflict but knowing these two won't work.

- Yeah, run back to daddy. He'll protect you. – he insults Maya.

- Listen, you bastard... - she began but he quickly interrupted.

- You should watch your tone with me, after all, I have a higher status than you. – he threatens. Maya was ready to respond but I interrupt.

- Stop it guys, come on, Maya, I'll accompany you home. – I offer nicely.

She looks at me reluctantly, she wants to tear his head out of his neck but knows he's stronger, which infuriates her even more. Dyrus is unfazed by Maya's display of aggression. If he weren't so arrogant and conceited, he would be much easy to be around. I know he hates me for stealing his title and is looking for any importunity to get it back, but I wish he didn't take it out with Maya.

- Fine. – she agrees.

- See you around, Dyrus. – I told him, and he hummed in response. Maya and I start walking away.

- Why does he always have to be such a jerk? – she says upset, making me laugh. – Why are you laughing? – she asks me with a smile.

- Because you get too caught up. –

- So, what, I'm supposed to just let him insult me? – she comments harshly.

- No, your right about standing up to him. – I agree.

- But... - she said, waiting for me to continue.

- But nothing. He's just a jerk upset because I took his title and he's trying to get to me in any way possible. Don't play along with him. – I emphasized the last part.

- You do know he's looking for whatever excuse to challenge you, right? – Maya says concerned.

- Well, he's welcome to try. – I respond confidently. Maya grabs my arm and stops walking.

- Cal, this is no joke. He's training every day nonstop. If he challenges and wins you'll be exiled from the pack. – her voice is filled with worry. Wow, she must be worried about me. That or she really hates him.

- I know... – I answer calmly.

Challenges are very serious in our culture. If a member considers a wolf to be unfit for his or her position, they can challenge. There's a catch, though. Regardless of the winner, the loser must leave the pack and never return. This is because if the challenger loses, he isn't satisfied with the pack's decisions, thus meriting exile. The same goes for the other wolf, if they lose, they would be angry and jealous and may go against the pack's decisions. It's an extremely serious thing.

I'm aware of Dyrus's intentions, but I don't think he'd be stupid enough to challenge. Sure, if he won, he'd be second in command, but if he didn't then he would lose everything. He already holds third in command, that's a very important title. There's no reason for him to try, the risk is just not worth it. If he were to challenge, he'd most likely do it before Nymeria rises to power. Challenges must be approved by the alpha, as with everything else. I know Nymeria wouldn't allow a Gamma to challenge a Beta, she'd be losing a strong wolf. Even though Dyrus's attitude can be very arrogant and entitled, Nymeria recognizes his potential and value to the pack. It's just futile for head wolves to challenge each other.

- Then, why aren't you worried? – she exclaims drastically. Fortunately, she didn't grab too much attention from around.

- Maya, calm down. – I say, grabbing her shoulders. - He's not that stupid to challenge and even if he did, there's nothing we can do to prevent him. Yeah, he's getting strong, but so am I. I'm training too, not as much as before, but I still am. – I tell her reassuringly.

- But... - she began but I interrupt.

- I already beat him once, I can do it again. You won't get rid of me that easily. – I reassure her with a smile.

- Okay. – she nodded more relaxed.

- Thanks for worrying for me, though. – I tell her.

- You're pack. – she says nicely. I think this is one of the nicest things she ever said to me.

- Thanks. – I tell her. – Got to go, can I trust you won't get into trouble? – I ask her. She rolled her eyes.

- Yeah, yeah, whatever. – she disregards.

- See you tomorrow. – and with that, we part ways.

To be honest, I, don't have much to do, but I want to sleep. Besides, her house is just 5 minutes away, what can happen? I managed to not encounter any important wolves on my way to my house. That would just end in me having to help out with something. As I enter my house I encounter Mary in the kitchen, well I haven't seen her in a while. She's wearing some casual jeans and a square-patterned red shirt. She's holding Josh in her arms while cooking something

- Mary, hi. How are you? – I greet.

- Cal! Hey! I'm great how about you? – she exclaims happily. That's the thing with Mary, no matter what, she's always positive.

- What are you cooking? – I ask trying to make conversation.

- Oh, this? This is my attempt at cooking meatloaf. – she exaggerates, making me laugh.

She's being modest, I bet her cooking is one of the reasons my dad married her. They also get along terrific; they do love each other. Which makes me happy. Besides, even though we're not blood-related, she's always treated me like her son.

- Funny things, aren't they? Cooking. – she asked.

- What do you mean? –

- You know, we never got to cook like this before. All these specimens and stuff... just complicate things. – she explains briefly.

- Yeah, things are changing quickly. – I say.

- I like it and I think the rest of the pack does as well. –

- That's reassuring to hear. How are Jamie and Ally doing? – I changed the theme.

- Great. Ally got better very soon and is at school, and well... Jamie is being a normal teenager. – she says, looking at the meatloaf.

- That bad, huh? –

- You know teenagers, they can be hormonal, rude, and intense. Being a werewolf doesn't help at all. – she adds a little dismal.

- Well, you know I'm always here, I'm happy to do anything to help. – I offer nicely.

Teenage werewolves can be mean, especially during full moons. Imagine all the changes a human goes through but with the werewolf put into the mix. Shifting becomes sporadic and intense, and they tend to isle themselves from the pack. Which is good because no one tolerates them either way. Jamie is a very nice girl, always sweet and nice with everyone, she's just going through that part, but she'll get over it eventually just like everyone else. But there's no excuse for how she's treating everyone around her, in specific Mary.

- Thanks, Cal, but judging by your looks I must ask if you need some help. – she says concerned which made me wonder how bad I look.

- What do you mean? Everything's fine. - I assure her.

- Are you sure? You look like you haven't slept in days. – she raised an eyebrow while she laid Josh in his chair.

- I've been putting in late work to catch up with my duties. School isn't helping. – I explain briefly.

- Oh, I've been meaning to ask, how's that going? – she asks.

- Fine, I guess. I just don't understand why they have so many hours of study and yet none of them are wolf-related. It's taking too much of my time and I must carry on with my duties. Homework isn't helping. – I complain.

- Yeah, it must be tuff, but Alaric wouldn't send you if he didn't think you can handle it. – she tried easing it off.

- I know... I just want to sleep. –

- Then go. – she tells me.

- Nymeria is going to come in a bit and she wants to... - I'm interrupted.

- Whatever it is I'm sure it can wait until after eating. Go sleep, I'll wake you up when food is ready and if Nymeria shows up I'll invite her over. That way she won't disturb you. – she offered generously with a smile.

- Really? – I wanted to double-check.

- Yes! Now go to your room Cal. – she fakes an upset motherly tone, making me smile.

- Yes ma'am. – I accept and run upstairs to my room for a much-needed nap.

It'll probably last an hour or so but I'll take every second I get. They haven't been any sightings of scouts, so that's good. Let's just hope that stays the same. I let myself fall on my bed, feeling the confront and warmth of it against my skin. I'll worry about whatever Nymeria wants to speak about when I wake up. I was about to close my eyes, when...

*** Ring, ring... ring, ring... ***

Oh, Maya, seriously? That's it, I'm taking that damn phone from her. I stand up to pick up the phone on my nightstand and speak.

- Maya, I just saw you five minutes ago. Now what? – my voice both frustrated and upset.

- Hey Cal, it's me, Nate. – a husky voice surprised me instead. I looked at the phone to read Nathan's name on the screen.

- Oh... I'm sorry, I thought you were Maya. – I apologize.

- No problem, man. I'm glad she liked the phone. – he laughed a bit.

It's surprisingly amazing how a device so small can help you keep in touch so easily. His voice sounds the same as in person. It's like having him right next to me. I don't know why but hearing his voice helped me ease my mind. I lie back, getting comfortable.

- You have no idea, she won't stop calling. – I explain, meeting his laugh as well.

- Yeah, tell me about it. Nadia calls me every time she gets the chance. It can be stressful. – he spoke through the phone.

- Maya called me at two in the morning just to say good night. – I share with him.

- What? That's early, she should've said good morning. – he joked and we both laughed. – Couldn't she have called before? – he asks.

- Oh, she did. At ten, eleven, midnight, and today at six. She loves that thing more than me. – I comment and he laughs.

- I should have warned you. – he says still laughing a bit. – Either way, what are you doing? – he changed the subject.

- Well, I was going to take a nap. – I answer truthfully.

- At one in the afternoon? – he asks a bit surprised.

- Yeah, I went to sleep late and woke up early. – I respond.

- Oh, I'm sorry for bothering you. – he apologizes.

- It's okay, what happened? – I ask.

- Well, I wanted to see if we could work tomorrow after school. –

- Ummm, sure. I can do that. Where? - I wanted to be clear on that.

- School. I learned my lesson, don't worry. – he says coolly. Thank goddess, I don't want to intrude in his home again.

- Okay. I'll see you tomorrow then. – I confirm.

- Cool, till then. Ummm, rest well. Bye. – he sounds somewhat nervous.

- Bye. – and I end the call.

I better get to sleep before Nymeria comesthrough that door and ruins my plan. I laid the phone on the nightstand andtook my shirt off, grabbed my pillow, and dose into a nice, much-deserved,rest.

--------

Picture of Luke at the top

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

128K 3.9K 28
Liam Cole. He's got it all. Good looks, an intact family, and a future. Nothing can go wrong in his life, it just isn't fathomable. - Milo Lazos...
203K 6.5K 12
[BxB] ✔️ Before turning 18 years old, Alpha wolves will celebrate their "Lunar Week", a period of time in which they can enjoy life and go all out be...
48.7K 2.1K 36
The packs of Bluewood and Ironhill share a lot of things. They share a boundary line of nearly twenty miles, a vicious history of hate and a feud tha...
72.9K 4.3K 57
Matt Beven Smith is a werewolf, he has two brothers and he is the youngest among three children. He is the second in line to be Alpha because the f...