Rogues

By Caleb_Brosme

Nathan Bryce is the next alpha in line, his pack has lived in River Valley for generations. Caleb Brosme is a... More

Chapter I
Chapter II
Chapter III
Chapter IV
Chapter VI
Chapter VII
Chapter VIII
Chapter IX
Chapter X
Chapter XI
Chapter XII
Chapter XIII
Chapter XIV
Chapter XV
Chapter XVI
Chapter XVII
Chapter XVIII
Chapter XIX
Chapter XX
Chapter XXI
Chapter XXII
Chapter XXIII
Chapter XXIV
Chapter XXV
Chapter XXVI
Chapter XXVII
Chapter XXVIII
Chapter XXIX
Chapter XXX
Chapter XXXI
Chapter XXXII
Chapter XXXIII
Chapter XXXIV
Chapter XXXV
Chapter XXXVI
Chapter XXXVII
Chapter XXXVIII
Chapter XXXIX
Chapter XL
Chapter XLI
Chapter XLII
Chapter XLIII
Chapter XLIV
Chapter XLV
Chapter XLVI
Chapter XLVII
Chapter XLVIII
Chapter XLIX
Chapter L
Chapter LI
Chapter LII
Chapter LIII
Chapter LIV
Chapter LV
Chapter LVI
Chapter LVII
Author's Note

Chapter V

414 16 4
By Caleb_Brosme

- Nathan -

It's Thursday and we still haven't finished the chemistry project proposal. I meant to ask Caleb if we could meet yesterday after practice, but he was nowhere to be found. I suppose he returned home when classes ended. It doesn't bother me though, it gave me time to work on homework and spend time with my friends. We gathered at Mason's house and watched some movies, just close members. Today, again, I made the same stupid mistake. I just got out of showering; I hope Caleb hasn't left yet. Otherwise, I'll be doing the project by myself. My heart is pounding from running to the library and walking up the stairs. If I hurry, he may still be there. Right at the end corner of the library, near a window, the rogue sits with a book in hand. Some relief comes to me knowing I won't be doing the project alone. I walk towards him slowly, not in a rush anymore.

- You got here sooner. – he states nonchalantly and lays down the book revealing his piercing blue eyes.

- Yeah... I want to get this project done. – I respond. It's not the absolute truth, but he won't notice.

- Okay then. – he closes the book. I started taking my notes when I noticed how advanced he was on it. He's almost done with the whole book.

- You're almost done with it. – he looked at me and I gestured to the book.

- Oh... yeah. I still have a couple of chapters left. – his voice a little taken aback.

- You just got it two days ago. – I point out.

- It's a good book. – he said but for some reason, it sounds doubtful. This made me choke a laugh.

- What are you laughing at? – he asked, his tone rough tone coming back.

- Nothing... I'm just impressed that you sure seem to like reading for someone who doesn't have books. – I said with a smile.

- Well, I never said I didn't read. – he countered. His tone certainly isn't friendly but neither threatening nor upset, just bold.

- Touché. – I responded. He does make a good point there. His face is blank, not knowing what to say. Perhaps he didn't understand. – Oh, touché is an expression we use... - I'm interrupted.

- I know how it's used. – he says bitterly. - Do you want to do the project or not? – he circles back to the project. I smile a little at his response. I still haven't gotten used to his bluntness, but it's fun being with him.

- Okay... - I responded lowly. – Well, we just have to define the purpose and that's it. – I say, reminding him what was left.

- You covered it the other day, remember? – he started. - To help defenseless humans heal. – he mocked my tone with a much higher pitch than my own.

- We can't write that. The teacher is a human. – I said seriously meeting his eyes.

- Fine. – he remarks snarkily. Why is he like this with me? I hear him speak with his friends and his no way this moody. – Just write something like, the healing properties of combining natural substances could be used on a broader spectrum of wounds and diseases than conventional medicine. Therefore, reducing the reliance on pharmaceuticals and providing an economic and healthy alternative. – he states nonchalant. I'm astonished, did he just think of that on the spot?

- Wow... that's, very good. – I lamely responded, not finding the words. He furrowed his eyebrows and looked at me weirdly, bringing me back to reality. – Yeah! let's go with that. – I said this time more decisive.

- Okay... – he says and starts writing a draft of what he just said. I just look at him while he continues.

I noticed he's left-handed, which is uncommon. Usually, we are taught to write right-handed. I don't think there's anyone in the pack who's left-handed. The only people I know are all humans, not werewolves. This just makes him even more interesting. I mean, maybe rogues don't care about those things. I'm not even sure why we do, to be honest.

- Hey... so I was wondering. Maybe you and your friends would like to come to a party next week. – I offered. He stopped writing and looked up into my eyes. A couple of seconds passed before he spoke.

- You don't want us there. – he responded boldly.

- I wouldn't be offering if I didn't. – I countered. He chuckled under his breath.

- I don't think your friends share the same feeling. – he said while continue writing, not even bothering to look at me. This made it easier to argue with him.

- Oh, come on. – I said happily, trying to convince him. – You've been here less than a week. Give us a chance. –

- Like with Jake? – he said nonchalantly looking back at me.

- Okay, Jake... he's an ass. I apologize, I should've stopped him. But your friends handled him perfectly. – I said smiling back at him. Just remembering Jake's face that day brings a smile to my face.

- Maya and Luke, that's their name. – he said, his tone a little harsh. – And I'd stay away from them if I were you. – he warned me. Not in a threatening way, but still.

- Okay... - I say. – Why? – I inquire.

- They are not big fans of you guys. Especially after Jake. – he said with the same tone.

I feel so ashamed for what Jake did, what kind of alpha can't control their pack? He must be furious about what happened. But regardless of how hard I try, there's no emotion coming out of him. He smells just... dull, not reeking of any scent. Now that I think about it, I don't think any of them have a distinct scent. At least I don't remember them having.

- I'm sorry. – I apologized sincerely. – I shouldn't have let him do that, I'll speak with him about it. – maybe it was how low I said it, but for the first time, those blue eyes looked at me kindly. They stared back at me so... vulnerable so... simple.

- Whatever. – he dismissed the whole situation finally parting his eyes from mine and went back to writing.

- No, it's not whatever. We haven't been very welcoming. And that's on me, but just give us a chance... please? – I asked hopefully.

We are going to be neighbors from now on, perhaps we could be friends too. I don't care that my mom told me to stay away from them. He opened his mouth to speak but stopped all of a sudden. He turned towards the window and listened closely. Then, from nowhere he stands up and speeds out, leaving all his things behind. What is going on? Judging by the look on his face, I can tell it's not good, so I follow him. I can barely hold up to him, he's fast. We get out of the library and head towards the main building. As we get closer everything turns worst. It's the pack, Jake, Kaya, and other members in a circle. Jake's picking up a fight with Luke. Caleb speeds up, even more, leaving me behind.

- Fucking stay away from my sister, you ass. – Luke shouts spitefully. His hands are in fists ready to fight. Even though he's a bit shorter than Jake, the rouge is not intimidated in the least.

- You shouldn't even be here. – Jake spats angrily. He is wearing his football jersey. He and Luke are in the middle, surrounded by the rest of the pack. – Besides she walks around dressed like that! She's practically begging for it. – he carries on.

Oh no, what did they do? I can only imagine. I look around in the distance to see Maya; her clothes are covered in paint and all wet. She looks pissed as well, standing right behind her brother.

– Right baby? Tell him you liked it, tell everyone! – he mocked.

- Listen you swine, if you ever touch my sister again I'll... - Luke started threading but was interrupted.

- What? What will you do little guy? – Jake challenged stepping closer to the rogue. But Luke didn't back down and stepped closer as well

- I'll rip your head out of your body. – his eyes beginning to shimmer in an electric blue tone.

- I'd like to see you try. – Jake said condescendingly. The rogue chuckled lightly and went for the kill. Fortunately, Caleb stopped the punch in midair before it landed. Luke looked at Caleb spitefully and surprised, he didn't expect the rogue to show up.

- Back off. – Caleb said in a warning. His tone is so menacing that Maya immediately stepped aside and watched carefully. Heck, even some wolves in my pack stepped back a bit afraid, I can smell it. He pushed Luke back slightly and placed himself between him and Jake.

- I'm going to kill that pig. – he continues with his rampage, trying to make his way around the rogue. But to no success, he's quickly intercepted by Caleb and pushed back once again, this time stronger knocking him to the ground. He makes it look so effortless.

- I said... BACK... OFF! – he shouted firmly. Silence took over for a couple of seconds. Luke, who was on the floor, seemed to calm down a little but is still sending daggers at everyone around.

- That asswhole... - Luke stood up quickly, dusting himself, and began explaining but was fiercely interrupted.

- I don't care. Grab your stuff, we are leaving. – Caleb commands, gesturing to the backpack on the floor.

- But they covered Maya paint and touched her and... - he says more desperate, trying to get his point through.

- We are leaving. – the rogue said in a low menacing tone, letting his eyes shine electric blue as a threat. Showing that there is no room for arguing.

Reluctantly the other rogue grabbed his stuff and they started walking away upset. Caleb looks around and his eyes stopped at me. He didn't need to say anything, his face showed an "I told you so look". I feel so embarrassed. After telling him to give us a second chance, this happens. I understand if they hate us. They walk away, heading toward the forest. I don't think they'll ever want to be friends with us again, I wouldn't.

- Huh... who cares, right? – Jake's voice breaks the silence. – Come on, let's go guys. – he says and pats my chest slightly. Words can't even begin to describe how I feel. My blood is boiling, I feel so angry I want to beat the shit out of him myself.

- Jake! – I shout, earning everyone's attention. He turns around to face me, confused and a little worried. – What the fuck was that? – I said angrily.

- We just played a little prank on the girl. Nothing serious. – he said excusing himself.

- Not serious? You screwed everything up. They hate us, what's your problem? – I spat on him, not something I usually do. I don't like putting my pack down but he earned this.

- Why should we care? They are rogues, they shouldn't even be here. – he sassed back. Who does he think he is? He needs to be reminded what's his place.

- Because I say so. My father accepted them here, so you are going to leave them alone. – I instructed firmly.

- Oh, come on. You can't be mad, no one got hurt. We were just fooling around. Chill man. – he said not caring. He then proceeded to walk off as if nothing happened. I'm done with him challenging me in front of the pack and getting away with it.

- You're off the team! – I shouted. He stopped in his tracks and turned around. Being part of the football team has always meant so much to him.

- What? – he asks, not believing what he just heard.

- You heard me, you're off the team. –

- Are you seriously taking their side? What the fuck man, we are pack. –

- This isn't about that. You did this because Maya humiliated you in front of everyone. You wanted to get back at her. That was not the way. – I say firmly, taking my stand.

- You can't do that! - he repeats.

- I can't? – I asked him, of course, I can. - I'm your team captain and more importantly your future alpha. Lately, you've been ignoring everyone and doing whatever you please. You are not second in command or third, just another wolf. It's time you learn your place and respect me! – I said emphasizing the last part. I can feel my eyes shining bright gold.

Our staring contest lasts some seconds more before he looks away and leaves without another word. Perhaps I exceeded myself, I don't know what took over me; I just did it. I can smell the anger reeking from him. He is beyond pissed. I looked around to see a bunch of astonished faces and a little smile on Mason's face showing his support. Damn, Kaya's face is irreplaceable, she was not expecting me to do that. It was a mixture between surprised and ... pride? I don't know. Well, now that I got everyone's attention, I should probably take advantage of it.

- Listen! Rogues are off-limits. I don't want anyone messing with them. If there is a problem you come to me directly, okay? – I stated firmly. Fortunately for me, they all agreed, I don't think I could do that twice in a row. I dismissed them and they all left, except Kaya and Mason.

- Damn, Nate. I didn't think you had it in you. – she teased me, trying to break the tension. – It was about time someone put Jake in his place. Thank you. – she adds. Relief washes through my body like cold water down my spine, refreshing.

- Thanks Kaya, I needed to hear that. – I confess, letting the remaining air loose. She smiled at me, reinforcing me even more.

- Yeah man, that was dope. But don't you think you were a little too... hard? – Mason soon added.

- Nah, he had it coming. Don't vouch for him, Mas. – Kaya said instead even though she knows it's in him to look after the pack. Betas in command deal with pack-related problems, therefore they have a strong relationship with everyone.

- Perhaps a little. I'll speak with him later though, but for now, let him have it. – I answered. I'm so proud of myself. Leading a pack is complicated, I need to start being tougher if I want to be a good alpha. – Hey, I need to get to the library to pick some stuff up I left there. Wanna come? – I asked.

- Sure. – Mason said happily, and Kaya nodded. We started walking towards the building. – How did you even hear the whole thing from over there? – he inquired. This took me a little by surprise.

- I didn't. – I answer truthfully. Their eyes expect me to continue. – I was working on the project with Caleb, he was the one who heard everything and bolted out. I just followed him. – I continued explaining. I'd be lying if I say I'm not a little ashamed.

- Wow... - Mason said. – He has good hearing. And did you see the way he tossed the other around? –

- Not just that, he must have an important status. The other two rogues just stepped down immediately when they saw him. - Kaya added. It's true, they almost seemed afraid of him. I'm sure he's not future alpha since my dad told me it's a girl. Maybe he is her sibling or something. – Have you found something out, Nate? – she asks me.

- Not really, he's not much of a talker and when he does, he doesn't speak much of his pack. – I responded. Not that I ask about his pack, but I doubt if I did, he'd answer at all.

- Do you think they're planning something? – Kaya wondered intrigued. Rogues aren't known to be particularly friendly. If this recent confrontation has proven anything is exactly that. But still, I refuse to think all of them are like that.

- I don't know. – I say lamely. I have no idea what to think.

- How about your parents? What do they think? – Mason chimed in a calm tone. Now that I think about it, why didn't they try to stop everything before it got out of hand?

- Wait a second. Why didn't you guys stop Jake? – I questioned instead a little upset. They could've prevented this situation. Mason opened his eyes in astonishment, probably Kaya did the same. Embarrassment washed through their bodies.

- You know how Jake gets when he's made his mind up. – the beta defends himself. He scratched the back of his neck.

- Sorry, well do better next time. – Kaya said surprisingly low. She feels that she let me down. For werewolves, to let their alpha down is extremely shameful.

- Don't worry. Next time let me know beforehand. – I say trying to cheer them up a little, not wanting them to feel that I'm disappointed in them. They nod in agreement.

My stuff was just as I left it, and so was Caleb's. He must be furious not to come back for his things. Still, I need to remain hopeful that they'll forgive us. For now, I think I'll take them with me. Today's been too eventful for my liking. I should start thinking of an apology, especially for Maya. What Jake did to her has no excuse, it wouldn't be a surprise if she decided not to come anymore. But since they are rogues, they are most likely to not care. So, with some luck, I'll be able to apologize tomorrow.

- Guess they were in a hurry. – Mason's voice hit my ears.

- Can you blame them? – I say. – I'll take his stuff and return them tomorrow. –

- If they decide to come, that is. – Kaya chimed in pessimistically as always.

- You know, your negativity isn't helping Kaya. – I nag.

- I'm just being realistic. In less than a week we've managed to almost pick a fight with them. Not to mention that the only ones who have tried speaking with them are humans. Well, aside from Nate. If I were them, I'd certainly never come back. –

- But we are not them. We can't assume they'd act like us. And I also tried approaching them. – Mason contradicted. I'm surprised he dared to even try to speak to them.

- Wait, you did? When? – I asked surprised.

- The other day, after practice. I came here to study a bit and saw Caleb reading something. So, I just introduced myself and welcomed him. – he explained.

Who would have thought he'd be willing to do that? Truth is, no one was happy when we heard rogues were going to study in River High, especially the elders. Everyone thought it was a mistake and they'd only end up raiding and killing our people. Not to mention exposing us to humankind. If I'm being honest, I didn't particularly like the idea, but it wasn't my decision. Up to now, they haven't shown any signs of violence. Luke was just defending himself and his sister. I don't think they have the least interest in us.

- Great, so I'm the only asswhole here. – Kaya said cheering the mood. I smiled at her remark.

- I wouldn't say that. But thanks, Mas. It's good to know that. – he nods happily.

I'm already finished putting my things away. The remaining stuff belongs entirely to Caleb. So, I start picking up his stuff. They are mostly books and a couple of pens. Then I see the paper where he was writing the purpose of our project. It's complete and made perfect sense. He did finish it before the whole fiasco. At least, we managed to finish the project. His backpack is resting on the floor next to a chair. For a second, I consider going through his stuff. Maybe I could find something that they like and make it up to them. But I discard the idea, it's an invasion of his privacy. Besides, why would they bring something meaningful to school? It makes no sense. So, I shove the books carefully inside and take both bags.

- I should probably go home... - I said.

- Yeah, I still have work to do as well. – Kaya agreed. – See you guys around. – she said waving us goodbye while running off.

She's probably the most occupied person I know. She oversees almost every event this school produces. I don't understand how that girl finds the time and patience to do that. On top of that, she's the smartest student in the whole school. She'll most likely be valedictorian.

- Come on, I'll accompany you home. – Mason said kindly. I smiled in agreement and started heading home. We are neighbors, so we are heading in the same direction either way. – Changing the subject, how's everything going? – he asked.

- The same. I'm a little nervous, to be honest. My dad wants to start training me to become an alpha. Like actual training, not the past lessons I've had. –

- Really? I thought he said you'd start next summer. –

- He did, but with the whole situation. He thinks it's best to start right away, just in case. –

- So, he does think rogues will attack. – he stated emphasizing the "does".

- I don't know, he doesn't speak much about it. He's just being careful. – I respond coolly. I don't want to worry him too much.

- What do you think? – he asks more seriously.

- I don't know... - I say lowly, not sure what to feel. – On one hand, it's very mysterious that out of nowhere the Lazarus pack wants a pact. We know nothing about them, aside from what our parents have told us. We outnumber them greatly; it only makes sense that they want to study us before attacking... - just thinking about war makes me sick. I don't want to be the alpha who got hundreds killed.

- But... - he said, expecting me to continue. I sighed deeply, trying to calm myself.

- But when I look at them... I don't... I don't think they want to harm us. At first, I was dubious about them, and I still am. But... I don't know anymore. They are not what I imagined, not in the least. –

- What did you expect, monsters? – he says sarcastically. – Cal, of course, they weren't going to be monsters. Those stories our parents taught us were exaggerated to make us behave. Just because they are not ugly and big and terrifying it doesn't mean they are not dangerous. – he said calmly.

- I know but still. I can't shake the feeling that they are not bad. – I said, looking straight into his eyes.

- I'm not saying they all are, but they still killed people, innocent people. – he exclaims softly, careful not to make too much noise. We are still at school, surrounded by humans.

I think back to the argument I had with Caleb the other day when I suggested rogues killed people. He explained the motive, but he never denied it. Mason is right, they are still dangerous. Besides, earlier he rendered the others into submission by shining his eyes blue. That only means he's killed before. Whenever a wolf is born or turned, its eyes glow bright gold. It represents purity and innocence. But if a wolf kills anyone, then its glow turns electric blue, cold like ice. Just a few members of my pack have their eyes blue and those who have felt ashamed of it.

- So, you think we shouldn't trust them? – I suggested firmly.

- I think we should be careful. They might be nice here, surrounded, and outnumbered, but under different circumstances... we don't know. – he said wisely.

- Yeah, you're right. – I agreed shortly.

Then why do I feel so drawn to them? It is not like I've known them very long, yet for some reason, I keep thinking of them. I can feel them entering the school every time in the morning, always on the spot. And whenever I see them entering the classroom, I must stop myself from going there. I don't know what's happening to me. I feel like trusting them without further due. Must be going crazy, my pack comes first.

- On another note, how's everything going with Nadia? – he changed the subject drastically. Fuck. I haven't even thought about that.

- Everything's fine... - I assured him naturally, trying to avoid the subject.

- Have you decided if you're going to tell her? – he wondered. I don't need to look at him to know his staring at me expectantly. His tone says it all.

I know it's my responsibility to let her know about the werewolf world. My parents already agreed to her finding out, but I still haven't gathered the courage to tell her myself. It just feels too real. As next in line, I must get married to become alpha. The problem is that Nadia is human and oblivious to the existence of werewolves. There have been marriages with humans in the past. But, for that to happen, the human must turn into one of us. It took a while, but my parents finally approved of her. It's been two months since that. The issue is that if I tell her now, I'm destined to marry her... and I don't know if I'm ready yet. I haven't even started my alpha training yet. I'm certainly not ready to settle down forever. Not to mention she could react badly.

I always thought that if I were to get married, it'd be with my mate. But mates are rare, not everyone develops a beautiful relationship with true mates like my parents. Don't get me wrong, I like Nadia, a lot. There's just no bond there, not out of the blue attraction. We've been together for almost a year now. At first, I thought it was because she was human. But my parents told me wolves could still develop a bond with humans. Perhaps we're not destined to be together. Maybe the moon goddess doesn't want me to end up marrying her. Either way, I must decide soon. I'm almost 18 and I need to find my mate. So, if it's not Nadia, it's better to finish things and start looking for my mate if I want to become an alpha.

- Nate? You are going to tell her, right? – he asks with a little more concern.

- Yeah... yeah. I just don't know how. – It's true, not the complete truth but still.

- Well, the sooner you get to it, the better. There's no point in sugarcoating it. –

- You are right, I'll tell her soon, I promise. – I said. Mason looks at me doubtfully. – I will, just... give me some more time. – he rolls his eyes a bit.

- You are the boss. Just don't overthink it 'kay? – he added to which I nodded. – Then I guess I'll see you tomorrow. – he finished. I nodded and padded each other goodbye's.

I didn'teven realize we are at my house. Time passed by quickly. Speaking of, I'mgetting tired of waiting 24 hours to apologize to Caleb. It seems that I'll bedoing it quite frequently. I wonder if they have cellphones, perhaps get hisnumber. Although thinking about it, it's quite foolish to believe that. Theybarely have books. What chance of having a cellphone? There has to be a way toget in touch with him, without waiting a day...

--------

Picture of Mason at the top

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

134K 6K 21
Life as an Alpha has always been viewed as the easier path; Alphas are the top of the food chain, lead the packs, and are the deciding force in the w...
8.1M 355K 66
Throughout the whole of Evan's life, he was convinced he was a sinner. Raised by his psychotic brother who was the Alpha of his pack, Evan believes t...
203K 6.5K 12
[BxB] ✔️ Before turning 18 years old, Alpha wolves will celebrate their "Lunar Week", a period of time in which they can enjoy life and go all out be...
360K 16K 32
Wren Arroyo's wolf was broken. Born without a complete sense of smell, Wren knew he would never have that magical moment when true mates smell each o...