Sycamore Tree {Complete}

By rainbowkiller0

The Queen is dead and her best friend is angry. Elowen Redfort, Queen Aemma's Lady-in-waiting and close... More

Part One
Prologue
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Part Two
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty-One
Chapter Twenty-Two
Chapter Twenty-Three
Chapter Twenty-Four
Chapter Twenty-Five
Chapter Twenty-Six
Chapter Twenty-Seven
Chapter Twenty-Eight
Chapter Twenty-Nine
Chapter Thirty
Part Three
Chapter Thirty-One
Chapter Thirty-Two
Chapter Thirty-Three
Chapter Thirty-Four
Chapter Thirty-Five
Chapter Thirty-Six
Chapter Thirty-Seven
Part Four
Chapter Thirty-Eight
Chapter Thirty-Nine
Chapter Forty
Chapter Forty-One
Chapter Forty-Two
Chapter Forty Three
Chapter Forty-Four
Chapter Forty-Five
Chapter Forty-Six
Chapter Forty-Seven
Chapter Forty-Eight
Chapter Forty-Nine
Epilogue

Chapter One

8.2K 237 8
By rainbowkiller0

Elowen was late, having lost track of time between the shelves of the royal library in her search for the perfect book to read to her dear cousin. Like all her previous pregnancies Aemma had been restricted to her chambers for fear of something going wrong. And as the birth grew nearer and nearer Aemma was growing tired of the walls of her rooms. As she did with Aemma's prior pregnancies, Elowen spent her days with her cousin. She'd bring gifts of some kind everyday, from bouquets made of flowers from the Red Keep's gardens, to a book from the royal library, or even having the kitchens make almond cakes that Elowen would sneak to the Queen.

Wavy brown locks of hair and a pale blue skirt trailed behind her figure as the Queen's Lady-in-waiting briskly walked to the Queen's chambers. Elowen was tempted to run, but after the last time she had been late and decided to run she thought better of it. During one of Aemma's earlier pregnancies, Elowen had quickly turned a corner and collided into Lord Otto Hightower's chest, frightening the Hand of the King. The older man had grabbed at his chest, gasping for breath before catching it and chastising Elowen. He had even complained to the King, leading to Viserys speaking to his wife, and Aemma and Elowen laughing about the stuck up man's complaints later.

As Elowen drew nearer to her destination her pace quickened. The King's Guard at the door recognized her, and quickly opened the door when Elowen made no move to stop. She rushed through the doors, dodging maesters and servants as they bustled around the room, caring for the pregnant Queen.

"What have you brought me today?" The smile was clear in Aemma's voice as she saw her closest friend.

"A book on the history of the old Kings of the Mountain and the Vale. I thought hearing of home would bring you comfort." Elowen responded, pulling a footstool over to the chaise where the Queen relaxed. Sitting down, Elowen leaned over and placed a hand on Aemma's stomach, stroking the taut skin through her dressing gown. "How is he today?"

"Currently fighting a war against my bladder," Aemma chuckled, placing her hand atop Elowen's. The two women smiled down at the bump, imagining the babe that grew inside of Aemma.

"He will make a mighty warrior." Elowen beamed, tearing her gaze from Aemma's bump to look her dear cousin in the eyes. "The best tourney knight the realm has seen."

"I wish I had your confidence," Aemma chuckled, squeezing Elowen's hand that rested on her stomach. "You and Viserys are so convinced it will be a boy, I do not understand how."

"Do you really wish to know?" Elowen whispered, hazel eyes boring into bright blue.

"Yes."

"You mustn't think me mad."

"I could never." A kind smile pulled at Aemma's lips. "I could never think anything remotely bad about you."

"I had a dream," Elowen took a deep breath. "I held a white haired babe in my arms as you slept and then the King called for the babe by name."

"What name?"

"Aegon."

"Such a beautiful dream, you shall be Aunt Wen once again." Aemma chuckled, glancing at the window beside her. "Now enough about me," Aemma spoke, turning back to Elowen with an urgency. "Let me hear about the past Kings of the Vale."

"As you wish, my Queen." Elowen teased, moving to fluff Aemma's pillows, both to make the Queen more comfortable and too avoid her slight glare. Aemma despised it when Elowen reminded her of the difference in their stations, hence why Elowen continued to do so.

Aemma caught her friend's hand as she began to pull away. Pushing the brunette's sleeve up revealing a dark purple mark wrapping around her wrist. "Has Lord Redfort been drinking again?"

Elowen snatched her hand away, cradling the injured wrist against her chest. Her full lips pulled down into a frown and her brow furrowed. "My marriage matters not, Aemma. Our focus must remain on you and the babe."

"Please," Aemma spoke softly, as if Elowen was a frightened animal and she thought she would take flight. "Do not hide such things from me. We are family, Elowen. You are my closest friend, and the only one who cares for me without wanting anything in return. You have always comforted me and taken care of me when I needed it. Please allow me to do the same for you."

"I love you, Sweet Aemma." Elowen leaned down to press a kiss to the Queen's sweaty forehead. "I would tell you if I ever required anything. Now can we get to reading about the Vale."

Elowen moved back to the foot stool, smoothing her skirts and opening the book to begin reading. As she opened her mouth to speak, Princess Rhaenyra entered the Queen's chambers followed by her close friend, Lady Alicent Hightower.

"Ahh Rhaenyra," Aemma called in greeting, a loving smile lit up her face at the sight of her daughter.

Elowen turned to face the Princess, grinning as she took in Rhaenyra's windswept hair. "How is Syrax, Rhaenyra? Is she large enough for you to take Alicent on a flight yet?"

Rhaenyra pouted at her Aunt's words, she had hoped to avoid the topic of dragon riding in front of her mother.

"You know I don't like you to go flying while I'm in this condition." Aemma chastised her daughter.

"You don't like me to go flying in any condition." The teen sassed back causing Elowen to stifle a laugh.

"She has a point, dear cousin." Elowen defended her niece. "Besides, it is in her blood to fly on dragonback. Just be glad she is not conquering foreign lands as her ancestors did."

Aemma rolled her eyes, leaning to side to swat at her friend. Elowen giggled as she dodged the Queen's attack, moving to greet Rhaenyra.

"Thank you, Aunt Wen," Rhaenyra moved forward, pressing a kiss on her Aunt's cheek in greeting as she moved closer to her mother. "See even those who know you best agree with me." Her pointed gaze softened with concern. "Did you sleep?"

"I slept."

"It is unbecoming to lie, dear cousin." Elowen interjected, earning a scolding look from Aemma.

Taking the hint from her aunt, Rhaenyra pressed further. "How long?"

"I don't need mothering, Rhaenyra."

"Well here you are surrounded by attendants all focused on the babe. Someone has to attend to you, besides Elowen."

Aemma lightly kicked Rhaenyra's knee. "You will lay in this bed soon enough, Rhaenyra. This discomfort is how we serve the realm."

Neither Royal noticed as Elowen stiffened. She thought of her husband, he had been kind at the start of their marriage. But as time passed and no babe took root in Elowen's womb the sweet man she had married disappeared, only to be replaced by an angry drunkard. Lord Richard Redfort spent most of his nights drowning in ale or whores on the streets of Flea Bottom.

"I'd rather serve as a knight and ride to battle and glory." Rhaenyra argued.

Aemma laughed at her daughter's words, leaning as far as her swollen belly would allow and taking Rhaenyra's hand in her own. "We have royal wombs, the childbed is our battlefield. You must learn to face it with a stiff lip. Now take a bath. You stink of dragon."

Rhaenyra rolled her eyes as she bid her mother goodbye. Leaving the Queen's chambers with Alicent following closely behind.

"I was thinking," Elowen began as she took her seat again. "After this babe is born, if we might be able to convince the King to journey to the Vale. Breathe in the fresh air and stand atop the Giant's Lance once again. Rhaenyra would love to fly over Alyssa's Tears, I can imagine dragon wings cutting through the waterfall."

"Rhaenyra would wish to fly the entire way." Aemma sighed, moving slightly to get comfortable. "It would be nice though, to see the Eyrie again."

"After this terrible pregnancy he has inflicted on you, it is only right he says yes." Elowen picked up and opened the book once again. "Now would you rather hear of your ancestors or the family whose throne they stole?"

Aemma rolled her eyes at the teasing grin on Elowen's lips. "Might as well start from the beginning, there is little else I can do nowadays."

Tales of the last Bronze King and the young Andal who defeated him filled the room as the two cousins spent the day together like they did everyday.

AN: I'm rewatching the first episode and I forgot how sweet and precious Aemma was. Also I wholeheartedly believe that if Aemma hadn't have told Viserys she wouldn't have anymore kids he would've tried to save her.

Kinda sad Aemma's gonna die I have so many ideas for their friendship that will never come to fruition.

-ELE

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

480K 14.7K 46
"A dragon might not be the only thing you ride tonight." | Where the Dance of Dragons is stopped before it truly begins-with Rhaenyra as the Heir to...
59.2K 1.5K 17
All it took was the birth of the youngest princess, followed by the King's unexpected favouritism and the Queen's indecisiveness and jealousy to stir...
49.6K 1.6K 19
༆᯾𑁍 π…πšπ₯𝐬𝐞 𝐆𝐨𝐝𝐬 ( UNDER EDITING RN ( nothing major just spelling mistakes ) "To that bloodshed, crimson clover. The worst was...
21.6K 498 15
π–πž 𝐚𝐫𝐞 𝐦𝐚𝐝𝐞 𝐨𝐟 π…πˆπ‘π„ π–πž 𝐰𝐞𝐫𝐞 𝐦𝐞𝐚𝐧𝐭 𝐭𝐨 𝐁𝐔𝐑𝐍 sorry for not adding this sooner but SLOW BURN Delusional fanon Aegon Targa...