Sailing With Destiny

By Bookworm_Tina

"Do you have any idea how damn frustrating you are?" He trapped me between him and the wall. Stubbornly, I l... More

Preface
Paris
Pont des Arts
Monte Carlo
Sumptuous Repast
BlackJack
St Tropez
Friend or Foe
Provoke
Morning Coffee
Portofino
Kayak
Kiss it Better
Tuscany
Off-route: London
Brotherly Things
The Marino's
Frustration
Corsica
Cherry
Ibiza
A Night in Ibiza
Costa Blanca
Cupcakes
Cumpleaños
Fiesta
Old Wounds
Homebound
Vacation Over
New York
Bubbles and Beer
Petty
Class Day
Celebrate
Priorities
A Magical Day
I Hate My Birthday
Intern
Millie Bee
Summit
That Escalated
Ego
Liquid Courage
Predicament
Corporate Sexy
Dinner at Dad's 2.0
Anti-Mila
Voice of Reason
Fragile
Talk To Me
A Little Better
Not What You Need
Revelation And Secrets
Forgive Me?
Space
The Night Begins
Can The Night End Already
I don't Know You Anymore
He's Still My Friend
I Got You, Always
Wedding Date
Friends
The Calm
Before
The Storm
I Promise
I Hate Halloween
Best Friend or Girlfriend?
Decisions, Decisions
I Can't Live Without You
I Will Survive
Nostalgic
I Trusted You
I Trusted You Too
A Mental Maze
Always
Mark My Words
Call It Destiny

Holiday Surprises

866 35 207
By Bookworm_Tina

I flicked the little snowflake charm on my bracelet while my mind wandered. It was below freezing outside, and I was on my fourth cup of coffee for the day. Christmas was just around the corner, but I didn't feel very festive. 

It had been a couple of days since Mitchell saved me from embarrassing myself. At first, I was angry that he showed up but once sobered up, I was grateful. The next morning, he was gone but I remembered every little moment we shared and how well he took care of me. It was evident he still cared about me but stuck to his theory that our relationship wasn't what I needed.

He kindly sent over breakfast and had someone drop off a tall glass of forest puke as soon as I woke up. He sent a note and insisted I drank that awful drink to cure my hangover. If it wasn't for my headache and terrible nausea, I would've sent that green goo right back to him. But it was a miracle drink and helped with my hangover. 

As promised, he checked in at least once a day, and texting him felt natural yet foreign. It was good to have some contact but the constant reminder that we weren't together anymore messed with me. So, I didn't reply as much as I would've liked to. 

Leo was still a little distant but somewhat better. His health wasn't at its best and at his latest visit to his doctor, it was suggested he found a stem cell donor. I knew it meant that he wasn't responding very well to treatment and if he didn't find a donor, I'd eventually lose him. However, I kept those negative thoughts at the back of my mind and made it a mission to find him a match. 

Leo's parents and his brother got tested to see if they were a match and were still waiting for the results. I offered to test too but Leo told me to wait for his family's results first. I wasn't one to pray but I prayed to whatever was out there for at least one of his family members to be a match.

"Earth to Mila." Kelsey flashed her hand in front of my face. 

Kelsey was nothing but a kind friend. She reached out to me daily and tried to make me feel better in any way she could. She texted, called and even tried to stop by my place a few times. She once brought over junk food and said it was the best way to temporarily feel better. She didn't bring up Mitchell unless I did and together, we shared the grief of losing a parent. Kelsey felt like the only friend I had at that moment, and I grew very fond of her. 

I blinked away my thoughts and averted my attention to her. "I'm sorry. What were you saying?"

Kelsey shot me a sympathetic look. "You're thinking of him, aren't you?"

"I'm post call so you're going to have to forgive my half-functioning brain and be more specific." I took a sip of my hot chocolate.

Kelsey gestured with her eyes to the bracelet around my wrist that I fiddled with. "The one who gave you that."

"I've got a lot of different things on my mind," I replied honestly. "He might be hot, but he doesn't consume all my thoughts."

"Is that what you're referring to him as now? The hot one?"

"No, but I mean... he is hot."

Kelsey and I burst out laughing and after a long time, I didn't feel like crying amidst my laughter. While my eyes fell on the Christmas tree in the little café, it hit me that I'd never spent the holidays with Mitchell – something always went wrong between us around that time of the year. 

"If it's any consolation, he misses you. A lot," Kelsey spoke after a long moment of silence. "He seems to think occupying himself with work will distract him but honestly, I haven't seen him smile in a long time."

I half shrugged. "He feels being apart is the best thing and I can't counter that. It is what it is."

Kelsey looked at me sadly and placed a comforting hand over mine. "I don't quite agree with his decision but both he and his mom think it's for the best."

I frowned. "Carly?"

"I shouldn't have said that," Kelsey muttered to herself. "I wasn't even supposed to know that. Mitch mentioned that Carly advised him to give you space because he and your relationship could be suffocating you. Of course, it was only advice and the ultimate decision sat with him."

I had no idea Carly told him that but given how much he respected his mom and her opinions, I wasn't all too surprised. I respected his decision but a part of me wished he'd have discussed it with me before he made such a final decision. 

"Please don't think badly of her. Carly is a lovely woman, and she loves you. She must've asked over a dozen times when you'd be over on Thanksgiving. Until Mitch got annoyed and went for a little walk."

I felt bad for bailing on Thanksgiving, but it wasn't in my control. I was needed as a friend more than a girlfriend at that moment. 

"I could never think badly of her."

Kelsey let out a breath of relief and pulled back her hand. We chatted about holiday traditions for a while until the topic somehow came back to Mitchell.

"He's leaving for LA on Christmas Eve. I don't want to tell you what to do but maybe it wouldn't be the worst idea in the world to visit him."

"I don't know," I drawled. "Seeing him again will take me back ten steps and even though I haven't made much progress getting over him, I don't want to be at square one again."

"Besides," I added. "The last thing I need is another kiss to happen."

Kelsey's eyes widened. "Kiss?"

"I shouldn't have said that." I chewed on my bottom lip for a moment. "It wasn't a kiss-kiss but more of a peck. Mitch initiated it and I stopped him before anything more happened."

"You don't need to explain yourself," Kelsey chuckled. "I understand."

I sighed and thought over Kelsey's words. Would it have been smart to visit him before Christmas? I already bought him a little gift weeks ago but wasn't sure if it was wise to give it to him. 

"What do you think?"

"I think you know what's best for you, but I do know that Mitch isn't sure when he'll be back in New York again."

My brows knitted together. "What do you mean?"

"He isn't needed for the project anymore. His work is done and might only need to fly in sometimes to check the progress of the building. All the paperwork and legalities are completed. He mentioned that he doesn't have a reason to stay back anymore."

He doesn't have a reason to stay... 

I wasn't sure how I felt about Mitchell not returning but it wasn't a good feeling. I grew anxious and even upset. I knew and was in the process of accepting that we were over but the possibility of never seeing him again wasn't easy to digest. 

"I've got to go," Kelsey gestured for the bill and pulled out her credit card. "I'm needed at the office and I've still got to pack."

"Put away your card, coffee is on me this time," I said. "And what do you mean pack?"

"I'm going back to London for the holidays. Even though Dad isn't here anymore it still feels weird to leave the house empty. He loves Christmas and always went all out with decorations. I want to stick to that tradition and maybe invite some relatives over."

I sympathized with Kelsey and understood her. "I hope you won't be gone forever?"

"Of course not," Kelsey reassured me with a smile. "My work here isn't done yet and I quite like this city and the friends I've made. I'll be back in the new year."

Kelsey and I said goodbye and I felt a little sad that it was the last time I'd see her before the new year. It was weird that there was a time I didn't particularly like her but now she was easily one of my good friends. 

Before I headed back to the hospital, I had one more stop that I dreaded all week. I peeked at the handkerchief in my purse, sighed, and made my way out. 

I stood in the airy, warm and comforting office. A desk sat at the further end of the room in front of a wall-sized bookshelf. Plants and paintings decorated the office with the lingering scent of lavender. I stood beside a loveseat and stared at the chair in front of it. 

"Mila?" The surprised man gaped at me with wide eyes. 

"Noel, right?" I nervously picked at my nails. 

He nodded and appeared amused. "What a surprise. I never thought I'd see you again."

I nervously chuckled. "Or you hoped you wouldn't."

"No, I didn't mean that at all," Noel quickly said. "I meant that..." he sighed and shook his head. "What can I help you with?"

I pulled the clean and neatly folded handkerchief out of my bag and handed it to him. "I wanted to return this."

Noel glanced curiously at the little piece of material and then back at me. "I told you to keep it."

"I know but it's bad manners..." I trailed off as those two words triggered me because they reminded me of Mitchell. "I guess I needed a reason to see you again to apologize."

"What for?"

"For my terrible behavior the last time. I was drunk and emotional and acted out of line. I know I'm making excuses but I'm sorry."

Noel studied my features for a long moment, and I grew a little awkward under his gaze. I felt relieved once he half-grinned and waved me off. "There's nothing to be sorry about. You were good company before your big bad ex showed up."

"Big bad ex, huh?" I softly chuckled. 

"Too soon?"

I shrugged. "I don't know..." I paused and licked my lips. "Some days I wake up and feel good but an hour later, I feel like crap again."

Noel gestured to the sofa. "I'm free if you want to talk more about those feelings."

I scrutinized the sofa as if it was the first time I saw one. "As in a session?"

Noel shook his head. "I don't like using words like that. I feel terms can be intimidating. Just have a seat and talk. There's no pressure and I promise I'm a good listener."

I took a long moment and gathered my thoughts. I just finished a night shift and my body was exhausted. But I knew the minute I got home, my mind would've kept me awake. Another part of my brain recalled the many times Mitchell and others have told me to speak to someone. I wasn't sure if talking to a professional would've helped but I wanted nothing more than to release the heavy weight off my chest. So, I took a seat. 

***

Dad's place looked like a winter wonderland during the winter. He had Christmas decorations up and the white snow that covered the acres of land surrounding the house looked magical. I thanked Patrik for taking time out to drive me over to Dad's place and wished him a merry Christmas before he left. 

It was the day before Christmas Eve and freezing. I wasn't in the mood to be alone in my apartment. It was Friday and I headed straight to Dad's place after my shift at the hospital. Still dressed in scrubs, I shoved my glove-covered hands into my coat pockets after I rang the front doorbell. 

"Dad," I was taken aback, "Since when do you get the door?"

"I knew it was you." Dad engulfed me in a tight hug before I was even able to remove my coat. The comfort from his hug was something I hadn't even realized I needed. I hugged him back and shut my eyes, savoring the moment for as long as I could. 

"I missed you too," I smiled once he pulled away. My smile was quickly replaced with a peculiar look as I glanced at the Santa hat he wore. "You're very... festive this year. Other than the hat, I've never seen you go so all out with decorations."

With an arm around me, Dad walked us into the family room. "After my father passed, I'd never had much to celebrate for. After you were born, I had many reasons to but lacked common sense. This year, be it late, I thought I'd make up for my mistakes."

I stopped walking for a second and proudly smiled at him. "You're proof that you're never too old to grow."

Dad playfully scowled. "Hey now, I'm not that old. I believe the salt and pepper hair look is known as sexy now."

I laughed. "Never use that word in front of me again." 

"Noted," Dad laughed. He kissed the side of my head. "I've missed you, kiddo. I know you're a busy young doctor but I wish you'd visit more often."

I still hadn't told anyone that Mitchell and I broke up and that's why I avoided seeing my family. However, I knew I had to come clean at some point but now wasn't the time. I missed my family and the few minutes with Dad already made me feel better. 

The second I stepped into the family living room, I was showered with hugs and 'I miss you's'. Eric was home from college too and he and Dave were already bickering. Mandy tried to stuff me with food and scolded me for losing too much weight. It felt like home and my heart warmed after a long time.

A tall Christmas tree sat near the large window in the room and was decorated beautifully. Stockings hung in front of the fireplace and a wreath hung on top of the glass sliding door. Winston, who had grown a lot since I last saw him, lay asleep in front of the fireplace and had on a red and white sweater. 

I was about to run toward Winston, but Eric stopped me. "You need to put the finishing touch to the tree."

"Can the tree hold any more ornaments?"

"It has room for one more," Eric replied. "The most important one." 

Mandy handed me a gold star. "We thought we'd leave the last piece for you. You complete our family just as this star will our tree."

I was touched by the gesture. All these days I felt lonely but forgot that I had a family that loved me. I glanced at the tree and sighed. "Do you have a step ladder?"

"No need." Dave stepped towards me. "I'll give you a lift."

"If you drop me, I will kill you," I warned. 

Dave laughed. "Why would I drop you?"

"To be funny."

"I mean it would be funny to pretend to drop you, and watch you freak out but I'll catch you in time."

"Dad!" I whined. 

"Dave, please do not drop your sister."

"I promise, I won't," Dave laughed.

I trusted my annoying little brother and Eric stood on guard on the other side just in case Dave wanted to be funny. True to his word, Dave didn't drop me and I placed the gold star on top of the tree. I admired the tree and it looked complete. 

"Te dije que no te quedaras dormido," A very familiar voice scolded. 

My heart raced as I slowly turned around and was greeted by a short, angry-looking woman scolding a warm-looking man who rolled his eyes. My grandparents were in front of me after months and seeing them in person after all that time reminded me how much I missed them. 

"Abuela! Papa!" I ran into their arms and hugged them as tightly as I could. 

"Oomph, despacio Cariño," Abuela caressed my hair. "Soy viejo con huesos frágiles."

"Lo siento." I pulled away but the smile never left my face. "Te extrañé mucho"

Papa playfully glared at Abuela. "Habla por ti mismo." He kissed my cheek and pulled me in for another hug. "Te extrañé más, hija."

Tears pooled in my eyes and my heart felt full. Dad's place truly felt like home and the holidays didn't look as bleak as I anticipated anymore. 

"Surprise," Dad sheepishly grinned and lifted the glasses off the bridge of his nose. 

I smiled back gratefully. It made sense why Abuela avoided my calls. She was terrible at keeping secrets, so I mostly talked to Papa recently. Dad told me he planned this surprise and wanted us to have a real family holiday. Abuela and Papa were my family so there was his too. I got more emotional when Dad said my grandparents played a bigger role in my upbringing than him and for that, he was indebted to them. 

I settled in and the noise merely from Abuela explaining how to cook Christmas lunch to Mandy made me happy. Papa explained to Dave and Eric that soccer was real football and tried to convince them it was the best sport. 

I sipped hot chocolate near the fireplace beside Winston and quietly listened to my family talk and laugh – even argue. 

"I know it's snowing outside but that's no reason to freeze your mouth."

"That is the worse Dad joke I've ever heard."

Dad chuckled and sat next to me. "Bad joke aside, what's gotten Millie so quiet? It's unusual for you not to be part of that... ruckus."

"Ruckus," I repeated. "That's not a word I hear often."

"It's not often that your grandmother is around."

I softly laughed. "How many times has she scolded you since she got here?"

"More times than I can count." Dad shook his head. "And she only got here last night."

"Thank you for convincing them to be here," I earnestly spoke. "It means a lot to me."

"Speaking of people who mean a lot to you," Dad began. 

Oh no. His name was bound to be brought up. I miss when Dad refused to acknowledge Mitchell's existence. 

"Since the Marino's will be here too, Mandy and I thought, if you wanted, you could invite Mitchell and his family to spend Christmas with us," Dad continued. "I know it's short notice and his family is in LA but we wanted you to know that it wouldn't be a problem if you want them here. I know it's been hard juggling from your family to his, so we thought we'd make life a little easier for you."

A lump built in my throat. I'd always wanted some sort of peace between my family and Mitchell's, but it appeared to have been too little, too late. Dad had grown a lot and I appreciated the gesture. 

"Thanks, Dad, but I don't think they'll make it."

"I understand." Dad frowned slightly. "I hope it's not because of me. I know things have been... awkward to say the least but seeing how serious you and Mitchell have gotten, we all should move forward and leave the past in the past."

The lump in my throat grew and my chest felt heavy. Tears pooled in my eyes, and I looked away, so Dad wouldn't have noticed. "Hmm-mm," I hummed and petted Winston. 

"Mila, are you alright?"

I tear managed to escape so I quickly got up with my head still down. "Excuse me."

I ran off and ignored the voices who called after me. I needed some air and to be alone. The last thing I wanted was to dampen everyone's mood with my sad breakup tale. I didn't understand why I recently got so emotional - I was a lot better at hiding my emotions before.

I grabbed my coat and headed out into the backyard. It was freezing but the air did me well. I watched the snow slowly fall to the ground as I sat on a stone bench. Tears rolled down my cheeks and my heart ached. I thought after my talk with Noel, I would've felt better but it felt like square one again. 

"Millie."

I quickly wiped away my tears and sniffed. I plastered on a smile and looked at Dad. He appeared concerned and I didn't blame him. He took a seat beside me and scrutinized my features for a long moment. 

"What's going on? And before you tell me it's nothing, I can see something isn't right. I wanted to ask earlier but you looked so happy that for a second I thought I was imagining things."

"It's nothing," I lied. "With Leo being so sick and... everything else, I've been under a lot of stress."

Dad pursed his lips. "What did he do?"

"Dad, you can't assume Mitch is to blame –"

"Mila, don't beat around the bush. Tell me what he did or so help me, I'll leave right now and ask him myself."

I sighed and that lump was back. I twiddled my thumbs on my lap and lowered my gaze. "We broke up."

"We or he?"

I looked up. "Before you murder him, it was a decision that was probably for the best."

"I can't agree if you look so... so heartbroken."

"Losing people you love isn't easy. It'll take time but I'll be back to myself."

"Mila..." Sadness coated Dad's eyes. "He broke your heart, didn't he?"

My eyes welled up again and my lip quivered. I couldn't hold it in anymore and nodded. "But I can't blame him. I played a big role in ruining our relationship. I'm just so... so broken."

Dad put an arm around me, and I rested my head on his shoulder. I shut my eyes and silently cried for a while before I told Dad why Mitchell ended our relationship. I explained how I was more available for Leo than him and he couldn't take it anymore. I also told Dad how difficult it was for me to communicate and share things with Mitchell. 

Once I was done talking, Dad sat silent for a while. "I don't think it's fair to take all the blame."

"You're my dad, it's your job to be on my side."

"No, I'm being honest. If you're wrong, I'll point it out because I want you to tread the right path. Filling your head with lies to make you feel better will only do you harm."

"I understand Mitchell's feelings but I also think it was very childish of him. He's mature but also immature for his age. He left you at a time you probably needed his support the most but I can also see why he feels you need to be by yourself and unburdened by a relationship for a while."

Dad sighed and rubbed his temples. "I play a huge role in all of this too."

"What did you do?" I immediately asked. 

"Nothing like before," Dad quickly defended himself. "I didn't intervene in your relationship. I can't remember when last I spoke to the boy."

"What I mean is, my absence from your life when you needed a parent still affects you. You feel you must take care of everything by yourself because it's what you've always done. Helping Leo became your priority just as being there for Carmen was in the past."

I couldn't disagree and remained silent while Dad spoke. 

"I want to call Mitchell a coward for abandoning you but that would make me a hypocrite. Just as he, I thought distancing myself from you was the best thing but clearly I was wrong." Dad stared at me with guilt and sadness. "I'm trying to make amends, but my mistakes keep me awake at night sometimes. And seeing you like this... reminds me of all those mistakes. As your father, I should've done better because if I did, you wouldn't have considered yourself broken today."

"I just hope Mitchell Clarke doesn't find himself in my position one day. He might have made the biggest mistake by leaving you now or he might've created a healthier, brighter future for both of you and your relationship. There isn't a right or wrong here, I sympathize with both of you."

Dad tucked a strand of hair behind my ears. "You became an adult too soon, Millie and I'm to blame. You had responsibilities no child should have had and it's affected your real adult life."

Tears rolled down my cheeks. "I don't blame you."

"That's because your mother raised you better than that," Dad replied. "I know you're hurting right now and nothing I say will make you feel better but promise me one thing. Promise me that you'll never consider yourself alone and deal with everything silently. I am here, Mandy, your brothers, and grandparents are here too. We love you and never want to see you hurt. You're always welcome here, to us, at home for anything. You don't have to always talk, if you want to sit quietly and stare at a wall, we'll do that with you."

"I hate that you've been going through all of this by yourself. You have us, remember that. This is your home too."

I nodded and Dad hugged me. I felt a lot better after talking to him. It felt as if a burden had been lifted off my chest and for the first time in a long while, I didn't feel as alone. 

"Come on, wipe away those tears and let's go inside. If you want to call it a night and head upstairs, I'll tell everyone you were tired. No need to explain yourself."

I smiled gratefully. "Thank you, Dad."

Dad kissed my temple. "Nothing to thank me. This has been long overdue."

I told Dad to inform everyone that I'd be down for dinner after I freshen up. I made my way upstairs to wash my face and clear any evidence I cried. 

After I freshened up, I opened the door and was startled by the appearance of Leo. He had his hand out as if he was about to knock and looked at me surprised. 

"Leo."

"Since we're being formal," Leo nodded. "Mila."

Leo walked past me and inside the room. I shut the door and looked at him quizzically. "When did you ge-"

"If Damien didn't trust me, I'd tell you to keep that door open," Leo cut me off. 

Leo looked a little better than the last time I saw him. He adjusted the beanie on his head and took a step toward me. "I heard Nonna was preparing for tomorrow's Christmas feast, so I came over to annoy her and heard you were here too."

"Abuela was probably glad to get rid of you."

"You bet but I'm not done annoying her," Leo chuckled. "I hope I didn't disturb you."

I shook my head. "No. I was just heading down."

"Okay but before that..." Leo caught me off guard and hugged me tightly. 

I was perplexed at first, but his familiar warmth overtook any thoughts, and I hugged him back. It felt like forever since I'd been that close to Leo, and I didn't realize how much I needed one of his hugs. 

Leo pulled away after a long moment, flicked my nose, and grinned. "I've missed you."

"I saw you a few days ago."

"I know but our recent meetings haven't been the same."

"And who's fault is that?" I raised a brow. 

Leo sheepishly grinned. "I admit I went semi-AWOL, but I didn't want things to be weird after... well my deathbed confession."

"You weren't on your deathbed," I scolded. 

"For a while, I thought I was but the point is, I didn't want you to get in your head and overthink."

I sighed. "I wish everyone would stop thinking for me. I am fully capable of doing so myself."

"I know but... sorry."

"I didn't overthink anything nor was there any weirdness. You'll always be my Leo, no matter what. I wish you'd trust that and stop pulling away. I miss you all the time too."

Leo studied my features. "So, you didn't overanalyze my words and beat yourself up about it?"

"No," I honestly said. "But I did think that maybe if you didn't run, things would've been different."

Leo shook his head. "That's what I was afraid of."

"What?"

"You think there'd be something more? Your heart is fragile right now. With me being sick and Mit-"

I was taken aback that he knew. I doubted Dad told him and neither did I, so it could've only been one person. 

"Kate broke the news, I see," I muttered. "That's what the hug really was for."

"No." Leo took my hand in his. "That hug was because I do miss you. The real you. The spark that makes you Mila seems to have dimmed and I know I play a huge role in that. I wish you'd be that girl again."

"I'll be okay."

"I know that, but I hate seeing you like this. I don't know Clarke's reasons and if I was at full strength, I'd beat the shit out of him but you're the only important thing right now." Leo caressed my hand. "I'm here for you, like always."

"I appreciate you, Leo but my problems are nothing compared to what you're dealing with. So, please stop worrying about me. You don't need any kind of stress," I said. "And onto more important things, did the stem cell test results come back? Is anyone in your family a match?"

"I told you before that problems aren't meant to be on a scale. You're going through something too and shouldn't discredit that because I'm sick."

"Leo, the stem cells?"

Leo deeply sighed and shook his head. "No one is a match."

My heart sank and anxiety slowly crept up on me. I raked my fingers through my hair. "That's okay. We'll keep looking. I'll get tested, I'll ask my family and Dad will pull whatever strings he can." I placed my hands on his shoulders and stared into his warm brown eyes. "You're going to be fine, okay."

Leo half-grinned. "I believe you."

"I'll do whatever it takes to keep you around for a very, very long time." I rested my head on his chest and shut my eyes. "I promise."

Leo caressed my back and rested his chin on top of my head. "I want you to do something for me."

"Hmm?"

"See Clarke tomorrow. He's leaving for LA in the evening, and I think it will do both of you well if you see each other."

I pulled away and shook my head. "He doesn't want that. I don't know if I want that."

"But it's what you need," Leo insisted. "Kate said he's miserable. He doesn't eat or sleep and only keeps himself busy with work. He misses you and can't function without you in his life."

"He decided to get rid of me," I flatly said. "Besides, he asked me a question the last time I saw him and I couldn't give him an answer."

"What?"

I stared wide-eyed at Leo. "He asked how I felt about your confession."

"And?"

"And I don't know. All I know is it stirred something inside of me."

"No, it didn't," Leo stated. "If there was something in your heart for me, you'd have felt it years ago. Right now, what you feel is fear. You're scared of losing me because you do care and love me but not the way you feel about Clarke. I'm your best friend and it's natural to fear losing me but don't confuse that with love. It won't do anyone any good."

"How do you know that?"

"Because I'm smarter than both of you," Leo teased. "And because I know you better than anyone. You don't love me like that Mila, you never have. Clarke holds a special place in your heart and before he leaves, you should tell him. I'm not saying you need to rekindle your relationship but make him see how much he means to you."

I shut my eyes, overwhelmed by emotions. "I don't know..."

Leo held my shoulders and stared into my eyes. "I can't force you but at least think about it."

I sighed and nodded. Leo smiled and with an arm around my shoulder, we made our way downstairs. 

***

Sometimes not emptying my bag was beneficial. After much consideration the entire night, I decided to visit Mitchell. I held the corny gift I got him shortly after our Halloween spat and rang the front doorbell. It was only eight thirty AM, so I assumed he was still asleep. 

I contemplated leaving but found a spare key to his place at the bottom of my bag. I decided to let myself in and leave his gift in the living room with a little note. I opened the door and since the alarm wasn't activated, I assumed he was home. 

I softly closed the door behind me and took slow steps toward the living room. As usual Mitchell's place was spotlessly clean and the scent of his home made me nostalgic. I tried to not get in my feelings and quietly dropped the gift on the couch. I found a pen and notepad in my bag, took a seat, and wrote a short note. 

Mitch 

I'm sorry for breaking into your home but in my defense, I did ring the bell first. I hoped to have met you before you left but I guess it wasn't meant to be. 

That's alright though, I'm sure we'll see each other sometime again. I know things are weird and we aren't together, but I got you this corny gift almost two months ago. Under normal circumstances, wearing matching Christmas sweaters would make me want to gag (sorry for going there) but for you, I'd happily be nauseatingly corny. 

Merry Christmas,
I love you always, 
Your Milo. 

PS If you decide to wear the sweater, send me a picture. I'll be wearing mine tomorrow.
By the way, I'm not really sorry for breaking in. 

I folded the page in half, wrote Mitchell's name on the top, and leaned over to drop the note on the coffee table. However, I abruptly stopped when something on the floor caught my eye. I spotted a patent women's stiletto shoe. With a frown I instinctively reached for it but recalled that it couldn't have possibly been mine - I didn't own one like that. 

I grew anxious and stood. My brain yelled at me to leave but instead, I looked around the place. I made my way to the staircase and spotted the other shoe and didn't like the feeling that stirred in my stomach. 

I took one step up and ignored my brain that shouted at me to turn around and leave. However, I needed to prove my doubts wrong. 

Mitchell wouldn't do that to me. Not so soon after we broke up. Right?

With my heart in my mouth, I took gradual steps toward the master bedroom. I reached for the doorknob but hesitated when I noticed a silk dress on the floor a few feet away. 

Maybe I should go. Ignorance is bliss, I've got enough on my plate already. 

I ignored my words, took in a deep breath, and opened the door. I nearly tripped over something but caught my balance. I glanced down at the object and my heart felt as if it were cracking when I looked at Mitchell's pair of pants. 

I slowly averted my gaze to the bed and took a few steps forward and my heart cracked in two. I stood frozen while my heart raced, and my breathing came rapidly. My skin prickled and I instinctively ground my teeth together. 

How could you? 

My feet felt glued to the ground until an alarm sound broke the silence and I was greeted by a pair of blue-grey eyes. Mitchell blinked twice, rubbed his eyes, and sat up.

"Mil-"

I stared at him with accusation for a second before I turned around and stormed out of the room.

A/N I just want to say, the story is NOT over as yet. I know things look really bad but please bear with me for the next couple of chapters. The end so so near.

I apologise for updating after such a long time. I hope the length of the chapter helps a little.

Let me know your thoughts,
Till then,
Tina

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

2.8M 86.7K 54
[COMPLETE] They say weddings are eventful, to say the least. Anything could happen. What I didn't expect however, was him. My mistake. It's been...
92.9K 1.4K 15
He brought his hands up and tucked my hair behind my ear. coming closer to my ear "Do i arouse you?" he whispered, making my knees weak "I can feel...
10M 211K 27
"Karma..." He muttered. I looked over at him as he smiled to himself. "Is a bitch. And so are you!" I joked. Aiden glanced up at me and glared before...
936K 27.7K 38
Nov, 09, 2020 : #1 in romance May, 14, 2021 : #1in respect May, 14, 2021 : #4 in lovestory "Don't try and act all nice to me. I know girls like you...