Unraveling Him | A mafia Story

By pumpkinyara

(Book #4 in the series) (Can be read as a stand-alone) HER A mystery. So very complicated. An enigma. A... More

Forward
Trailer
Prologue
Chapter 1 - Redemption
Chapter 2 -First memory
Chapter 3 - Don't kill her
Chapter 4 - Playing with fire
Chapter 5 - Promise? Promise
Chapter 6 - That's what brothers are for
Chapter 7 - She is my everything
Chapter 8 - What if it was me?
Chapter 9 - You need to let someone in
Chapter 10 - I won't be selfish again
Chapter 11 - I don't want to fight anymore
Chapter 12 - Give me sugar
Chapter 13 - Bring the monster back
Chapter 14 - Your grumpy Nik
Chapter 15 - You're mine and I am yours
Chapter 16 - This will be our secret
Chapter 17 - Red riding hood and the big bad wolf
Chapter 18 - In my story, you're the hero
Chapter 19 - Everything you touch, dies
Chapter 20 - Mushy and whatnot
Chapter 21 - Sister-Kisser
Chapter 22 - Ferris wheel ride
Chapter 23 - Us against the world
Chapter 24 - The three N's
Chapter 25 - Weapons don't weep
Chapter 26 - It didn't bring him back
Chapter 27 - Big boss mafia
Chapter 28 - My beautiful delicate girl
Chapter 29 - Atonement
Chapter 30 - Rebirth
Chapter 31 - Death is easy, living is hard
Chapter 32 - A death sentence
Chapter 33 - A pain in my ass
Chapter 34 - The Crystal ball
Chapter 35 - Keep fighting
Chapter 36 - You've got us
Chapter 37 - Avenging Angel
Chapter 38 - The holy grail
Chapter 39 - My beautiful king
Chapter 40 - Unwanted memories
Chapter 41 - Bella
Chapter 42 - Mr. Right/ Mr. Wrong
Chapter 44 - You make my world spin
Chapter 45 - A lost bet
Chapter 46 - My number-one girl
Chapter 47 - I am not a warrior
Chapter 48 - Love conquers all
Chapter 49 - This is our normal
Chapter 50 - My fierce protector
Chapter 51 - Big Bad Boy
Chapter 52 - Make Ronald Cry
Chapter 53 - A Little bit more
Chapter 54 - One Last Fight
Chapter 55 - It wasn't your pain to avenge
Chapter 56 - The abused and the abuser
Chapter 57 - Dose of Insanity
Chapter 58 - It's been long overdue
Chapter 59 - The Supreme Leader
Chapter 60 - Conquer or Die (Part I)
Chapter 60 - Conquer or Die (Part II)
Chapter 61 - A Broken King
Chapter 62 - Selfless Love - Part I
Chapter 62 - Selfless Love - Part II
All Hail the Queen - Extra Scenes
Chapter 63 - Five Months & Five Days
Epilogue

Chapter 43 - We are buddies now

836 52 271
By pumpkinyara

"And suddenly, the monster in him falls silent as he rests his head on her lap."

**************

Roman's POV

My eyes flickered from the kid, Laurens's and Celine's little boy, to the maid standing right next to him, explaining to me how his mother took her suitcase and ran off from the house, leaving her son behind the second Emma went missing this morning, probably terrified of Laurens and what he could do to her.

My jaw tightened in pure anger and frustration, and my hand on the side tightened into a fist, assessing her words one more time as I watched the scared tears scroll down the little kid's face, "I will deal with it," I grated out, dismissing the rest of her words as I crouched down beside the kid, forcing on a smile while my inside was on fire at the thought that she just left him and walked away.

"Hey," I said, much softer now as I used my thumb to wipe the tears from over his face.

I was a familiar face to him, saw him, and played with him every time I visited Laurens. I internally scoffed, and to think the man was one of my childhood friends and yet now he and his father are dead at the hands of none other than me and my wife. Still, I felt no ounce of regret, I would do it all over again. Let it be a lesson to anyone who dares to mess with us.

The little kid didn't feel estranged, seeking comfort in the only friendly face around so he inched closer, leaning to me as he whispered lowly, as not to let everyone hear him, "Where is my mom?"

"She will be back soon," I mumbled, trying to ease the stressed fearful lines etching his forehead. I will find and drag her back to him, she can't just leave him alone, without a mother or a father, I won't allow it.

"And dad?" He checked again.

My jaw worked and a low breath pushed off my lungs, unable to answer and lie on that part.

"Come here," I mumbled, changing the subject as I lifted him and stood up, letting him settle against my non-injured side as I headed up the stairs, reaching our room to check if Emma is awake. I could only imagine how this will trigger her beyond measure, she went out of her way to save that woman from her abusive relationship, for god's sake she got herself beaten up and kidnapped for that cause and this is how Celine paid us back; by abandoning her son.

The door to our room was left ajar and when I reached the entrance, my gaze fell on Emma, sitting down on the bed, across from her by the edge sat Vivian, and the downfall of tears scrolling down her cheeks left me baffled. I lowered the kid to the floor, keeping him by my side as I took a few steps closer, trying to understand what the hell was going on.

My gaze flickered to Emma again, to her tight fist over the comforter, to the redness seeping across her neck and face, to the few tears hanging by the edge of her eyes, one push and they would just fall. A hot rush of protectiveness erupted all over my chest, unable to comprehend how everyone was fucking hurting her in some way.

"Can you leave," The words scraped out of Emma's throat, directed at Vivian and still unaware of my presence, that's how much wrapped up she was in whatever this is, "Please, leave," She added, her words held an edge as she stressed on each letter.

"What's going on here?" I asked, unable to contain my harsh tone and my eyes focused only on Vivian. Her gaze flickered to me and she got up to her feet, ready to oblige to Emma's words and walk away. The fact that she was a woman I grew up having around the house since I was a kid was the only thing that stopped me from lashing out at her, demanding an answer explaining whatever she said to Emma that had her look so weak and vulnerable now.

Vivian silently walked out of the room, closing the door behind her and my eyes finally fell on my wife. She met my gaze right away, her lower lip slightly trembling, indirectly beckoning me closer and I moved so fast, leaving the kid's side and coming toward hers.

"Roman," She mumbled, ever so weakly, drained, she was utterly drained, both physically and mentally and I only wondered how much more she can take in, how much more before she explodes all over the place.

She crashed into my chest and I wrapped her up between my arms, pulling her closer, "Hey, hey," I said, soothingly, my hand cradling the back of her head, my fingers all bunched up in her soft hair. She clutched into me like she was clinging to life itself and I tightened my hold, "Emma, you are scaring me, what's wrong?" I asked over a whisper, unable to stop the panic from digging a hole right through my chest.

I felt her hot tears fall down into my chest. Tears I had once thought she was not capable of shedding, tears I wish I'd never have to see again. I'd rather her scream and fight with me, I'd rather her punch and threaten me with her knives. I'd rather see her angry but not this...this was not her and I don't want it to ever be her.

She edged her head backward and I cupped her face in my hands, angling it up so those broken eyes could look at me, so I can figure out what was wrong, "Why does everywhere hurt so much," She mumbled, meaning both physically and mentally. Her beautiful face was bruised in ways that had every nerve in my body fire, press, and pulse with a crushing pain; beside her mouth, over her temple, her cheeks, and...just everywhere.

This wasn't fair.

I lightly brushed my finger over the redness at the corner of her mouth, "What did she do?" I asked, ready to burn down the fucking mansion to ashes with everyone in it just at the thought that someone within the boundaries of our house caused her pain too.

"She said that she is my..." She shook her head, unable to mutter the word out loud, lines twisting between her eyebrows, confused and so very lost, "My grandmother."

"What?" I whispered, my eyebrows pulling closer in shock and bewilderment. Her words didn't make much sense as I tried to think it all through. How?

Emma's expression twisted with pure hurt again, "She said she couldn't ever tell me because of Isaac," She added, explaining and I started to make more sense of the brand new information, "And after Isaac, Nikolas...he knew, he knew but," She shook her head, feeling disoriented, "He didn't let her tell me," Oh, the fucker, I'd totally expect this from him, "Why would he do that?" The weakness in her voice nearly ruined me, "He knows how I've spent my whole life trying to learn anything about my mother, and the woman who gave birth to her was right here, in our house, and he...he hid that truth from me."

Her pain was more of that feeling betrayed than of her discovering this truth. Because this news didn't hurt, no, it's the opposite, it could finally give her a way to learn more about her past, and it could give her the needed closure she's been seeking for years. The thing that stung her most was her brother, the one she trusted in more than she should, and how he kept her away from the one thing she desperately needed.

"I did everything for Nikolas, so why would he do this to me," She added, brokenly, proving my assumptions right and I pulled her into my embrace again, trying to find an explanation to excuse his behavior, anything that could lessen the hurt she is experiencing now but I failed.

"Take me there later tonight, will you," She requested, and even though I wanted to protest because of her current health state but she carried on, "I need to ask him this, face to face," She added, desperate for an explanation and I knew she needed this in order to mend her inner turmoil. I nodded my head, unable to refuse any request of hers, not when she asked for it ever so weakly, "I will arrange it in a bit," I said, assuringly.

She sniffled, taking comfort from my hug and when she edged backward, she brought her hand to my shoulder, lightly caressing the bandage under my shirt, "How is your shoulder?" She asked, her jaw working as she stared at my wound, the anger fighting its way through the pain, trying to dominate and take over.

I rested my fingers under her chin and lifted it up, "Nothing I can't handle," But her tears, her broken voice, her pain, those I can't possibly handle.

She sucked into a deep breath, her lips releasing a stuttered sigh, trying to bury that part till she can face Nikolas and get her answers. Her eyebrows pulled closer, "I don't remember how I got here," She mumbled, bringing her hand up to her face, her fingers caressing her patched-up wounds, "I don't remember going to a hospital."

I shook my head, "I brought the doctor here," I explained, knowing just how terribly she hates being there, especially after getting stabbed that last time. Trapped within those four white walls would just remind her of that day, of what she lost and I can't have her relive that horribleness all over again.

She seemed to understand my intentions because even if just slightly, her lips tilted into a soft faint smile. I caressed the top of her cheek, my throat burning as my finger gently ran over the faint-purple skin, "What's the last thing you remember?" I asked, my voice tight with so many emotions, trying to drift her mind and mine away from the current thoughts threatening its sanity.

Lines etched over her forehead, trying to think back to earlier events, "I remember seeing you there," She said, her little smile tightening my chest, "I got so relieved," She whispered lowly, her eyes drifting down to my shoulder, "Then, I saw you bleeding and I was so scared and angry," She added, "I felt so guilty that I placed you in that situation," I was already shaking my head, it was no fault of hers, I would walk through hell for her, I hoped she knew and believed in that.

"Then..." her eyebrows pulled closer, trying to pull out blurry memories but failing, "I don't know, I think I passed out right after," She added, questioning so I can confirm her recollections.

I nodded my head, "Yeah, you passed out in my arms," I added, knowing that those words left her lips unconsciously. It didn't matter though, I didn't need a four-lettered word to confirm her feelings for me. She was my crazy girl, my wife, and I, her husband. It's a bit overwhelming, how it all happened unplanned, suddenly we bounded and uniformed as one along the messy way we walked through, her as mine and I am, hers. Forever.

I had promised myself that I wasn't going to fall back into the rabbit hole when we first got married, but it was way out of my control anymore. This woman had me in a grip since the first time I met her. The weird thing is, this time I had fallen even harder than before. This time, I won't let anyone take her away from me again.

I leaned closer and lightly pecked her lips, and not till I edged backward that I remembered that I had walked into this room with a little kid on my side. My head whipped to the right, my gaze falling on little him, standing by the bed on the other side across from us, his little palms resting over the mattress as he silently watched us.

My lips lifted into a small smile and Emma followed my gaze, her eyes falling into the little kid as well. Confused, she turned to me, her eyes widening and questioning and I let out a low sigh. Not wanting him to hear my words, I inched my mouth to Emma's ear, pecking her cheek as I whispered, "Celine took her things and left him here," I informed and fire lit up in her eyes, widening in shock and bewilderment. Seconds only and the Emma I knew was back in a flash, his jaw ticking, "The bitch, I am going to kill her!" She hissed, trying to keep her anger at bay for the kid's sake.

I looked at him and ushered him to get close, "Come here," I said and he climbed up the bed, scooting closer, and settled down beside us, his eyes on Emma's face, flickering over the bruises, his young brain trying to make sense of what was happening.

Emma stared back at him, her throat bobbing nervously, silent as she tried to assess how she is supposed to deal with something as small as him. So, she just offered him a small smile. He pointed at her face, "Are you okay?" He asked.

She nodded her head, "Yeah," She said, not knowing what more to say.

His head tilted to the side, "Did my dad do this?" He asked again and Emma's eyes slightly grew wide, flickering to me for help. I placed my hand over the kid's shoulder, "Why would you think that?" I asked, grabbing his attention to me.

He looked at me, speaking like this was just another normal occurrence in his life, "He does it to mommy," He mumbled, sadly, and Emma beside me was ready to bring Laurens back to life just so she can kill him again.

Emma edged forward, closer to the kid and she rested her hand over his arm, "Don't worry, he won't do that anymore," She said, nodding her head and assuring him.

He stared at her for a long second and her closeness had him bring his hand up, curious as his little fingers lightly rested over her the bruise on her cheek, his brown eyes big and so innocent as he tried to comprehend everything at once.

Emma smiled again, but this time it was less forced and more effortless, "Your father didn't do this," She said, not wanting his last memories of him to be as so, still refusing to paint him as the bad guy in his young brain, "I just had an accident," She said and he believed her, nodding his head as he retreated his hand back.

I ran my hand over his arm, "Hey, aren't you tried?" I asked, noticing the redness in his eyes from both crying and lack of sleep. He nodded his head, placing his hand over his mouth as he fought off a yawn, "How about you sleep for a bit?" I said, and I knew he was going to ask for his mother next so I carried on, "And I will call your mother to see where she is, okay?"

He nodded his head, believing me and I didn't know how will I explain it to him if his mother refused to come back, "Where can I sleep?" He whispered, a bit nervous and shy as he looked around the foreign room and house.

I edged backward and tapped my hand over my pillow, "Come here," He followed my instructions and inched closer to me, "I will sleep here," I pointed at the space right next to him, then at his other one where Emma is seated, "And Emma will be there at your other side, is it okay?" I indirectly tried to assure him that we are here by his side, so maybe he can feel safe and fall asleep without any of his parents on his side.

He looked at me, then at Emma before he nodded his head, "Okay," He said, laying down and resting his head over the pillow. I pulled the comforter and covered him, tucking it under his neck before I leaned down and pressed a kiss at his temple, "Sleep well," I mumbled and he hummed, resting his eyelids and ready to fall asleep.

My eyes left him and they flickered to Emma, who was just silently watching me interact with the kid, way too many emotions and questions fought off in her confused gaze, "How do you know how to do all of this?" She asked me in a low voice so as not to disturb him, referring to how naturally it came to me to deal with the little kid.

I smiled at her astonishment as if this was rocket science and she can't seem to grasp the hang of it, "You do know that I was there for Lilly's first two years," I said, recalling back those days. God, it took a lot of me to get used to not having her around, that precious little girl was the best thing that ever walked into this place. I wasn't the only one to think that, dad became a whole different type of soft after she was born, he wouldn't let a day pass without bringing her a gift and taking her out for a walk in the garden, since she was only months old till the last day. Even Liam, though acted indifferent, I would always catch him making funny faces and playing with her when no one was watching. And of course, there was Nikolas.

I still remember my shock one night when I walked into the kitchen only to see her seated in the feeding chair, with Nikolas across from her playing airplane with the spoon as he fed her smashed fruit. She was laughing and gurgling, jumping up and down in her seat with every bite she took, and Nikolas seemed to be just as happy as her that day. She had woken up in the middle of the night and Nikolas had stolen her from the crib before Cara got the chance to wake up and forbid him.

I smiled at the memory; I still remember my sister making one hell of a scene the next day when she learned what he did.

I was snapped back from my memories when I noticed Emma watching the kid sleep with her eyebrows quenched in sadness, "Roman, she can't just leave him," Emma said, thinking exactly what I was thinking, "You know what happens to the kids that get left in your family and mine," She added and I nodded, my jaw ticking and saying it out loud, "They get thrown into the HEX."

Her jaw tightened and she shook her head, refusing to put anyone through what she once went through, "We will find Celine," I said, running my hand gently over the kid's arm, "Till then, he can stay with us."

Emma nodded, agreeing before she hesitantly brought her hand up, running her fingers through his hair and gently pushing it away from over his forehead. Involuntarily, she smiled. My heart warmed up and stuttered altogether as it imagined her with our very own kid one day, the thought felt almost so surreal.

Emma lowered her hand, resting it over the kid's hand, "What's his name?" She whispered, looking up at me.

I rested my hand over Emma's, looking down at the kid, "Noah," I said, "His name is Noah."

**************

Nikolas's POV

Alex left, finally.

Natalie also left, after she...slapped me. I learned later from Alex that Ronald went to drop her off. He questioned if something happened because she was all out of sorts as she stormed out of the office, and of course, I didn't explain a thing. He seemed suspicious but he didn't push me harder, knowing very well how my brain was hanging right on the edge of sanity by now.

"You are gonna stay here?" Jeremey asked as he placed his laptop bag over his shoulder, staring at me with furrowed eyebrows, confused as it was getting late and I still hadn't moved a muscle.

I lifted my eyes up, meeting his, and nodded my head. I think Natalie needs space away from me now, it wouldn't be too smart to go home and face her right after this. Also, I know I am not gonna be able to sleep until I get my pills, so staying here for the night is better for me and everyone else around me.

Jeremy offered me a small smile, "Do you want me to keep you company?" He asked, being his innocent nice self.

My eyebrow raised, "Don't you have people waiting for you back at home?" I reminded him because I didn't have that.

He nodded his head, and used his forefinger to push the glasses up his nose, "Yeah, true," He said.

"How is your brother these days?" I asked.

An immediate smile clawed over his lips, "He's been great, especially after his last check-up," He said, ever so happily, "Hundred percent cancer free," He said with a low relieved sigh and I couldn't hold back the little twitch in my lips, "That's great," I said.

He nodded his head and took a couple of steps toward the door, he paused and gave me a look I got from almost everyone today, one full of worry. Everyone is so damn worried I might snap and do something unpredictable, "If you need anything, just...call me," Jeremy offered.

I shook my head, "I sure won't do that, Jeremy," I said with a small smile, "Go home."

He waved his hand and exited the office, leaving as well, and finally, I was left all alone with my messy thoughts. I leaned back into my seat, letting out a loud breath from my tight lungs. My gaze fell onto the framed picture laying over my desk, thinking back to what happened a couple of hours ago and I couldn't stop the shitty feeling from spreading all over my burning chest.

I thought she wanted my kiss, I thought she wanted me as much as I wanted her, I could still feel it every time I got close, every time my skin met hers, I see how she fights her instincts and tries to act indifferent, purposely placing unnecessary barriers between us...I thought she still wanted me as before. Apparently, I had misread all the signals and forced myself on her when she wanted nothing to do with me.

I rubbed at my chest, hoping it will blunt the raging fire burning deep into my bones. I tried so badly to silence the voice in my head, the one whispering that this is the type of man that I will always be; the product of Frank's abuse.

My fingers curled into a fist and I felt suffocated, unable to break free from my very own head. Desperately needing the fucked-up feeling to be whisked away, my hand reached for my jacket's pocket, an instinct to look for his picture but I...didn't find it. Panic rose in me and I straightened up in my seat, my heart beating a thousand miles per second as I checked my other pockets. I calmed down my anxious nerves and breathed out in relief when my fingers met the picture's edges and pulled it out.

For a second there, I thought I had lost it, that I couldn't even keep his picture safe and tucked far away.

I smoothed its edges, my fingers running over his beautiful face, and involuntarily, I smiled. The chaos raging in my brain hit a sudden pause. Nothing seemed to be of more importance in front of his little toothless smile. His eyes were full of innocence and life, and it felt almost impossible that anything in my tainted DNA was capable of producing something ever so pure.

"I will kill Isaac, just so I can make this world a better place for you," I whispered; it was one of the very few reasons I haven't given up yet, "I promise."

With one last look, I placed the picture back inside my pocket, ever so carefully tucking it far away from the madness that is my life. My gaze fell down to the desk's drawer and I extended my hand forward, twisting the key and pulling it open, my gaze flickering to its content, to the one envelope laying there with my name scribbled over it. Every day, I open this drawer, thinking it's the day I will master the courage to finally open it and read her words. And every day, I close it back, the envelope untouched and me, defeated.

I pulled myself up to my feet, moving my muscles could maybe help decrease my stress. I walked out of the office and into one of the training rooms. I wanted to hop inside the ring and beat the punching bag senseless but why did I feel so fucking drained even though the only energy I exerted today was mental.

I heard the clicking sound of the metallic door and I pushed myself forward, my eyebrows pulling closer because only a few knew the password. My eyes fell on Ronald as he made his way in, his eyes meeting mine and I gave him a questioning look as to why is he here now. He gave me an innocent smile in return, almost as if this was a normal occurrence.

"Hey," He said so casually, coming to a stop beside me, and pushing his hands into his pockets.

My eyebrow raised, "Why are you here?" I shot out.

He shrugged and looked around the room ever so cluelessly, "No reason."

I stared at him suspiciously and he shrugged it off like it is nothing, "You know I remember seeing an alcohol cabinet around here somewhere," He said, walking away, fishing for an excuse to run away from me. He opened the alcohol cabinet that was placed here long before us, one storing bottles dating back to years and years ago.

"Oh damn, there is some quality stuff in here," He commented, turning around and taking permission from me, "Can we open one?"

I nodded with a sigh, "Whatever," I said and he rolled his eyes at my zero level of enthusiasm. He rampaged through before he picked up a whiskey bottle, reading the old writings scribbled over it as he went off to pick up glasses.

Sighing loudly, I sat down at the ring's edge and Ronald came back with the alcohol bottle and two coffee cups. He lifted them up, "I didn't find glasses," He explained his choice of cups and I didn't care enough to comment.

He sat down beside me, twisting the cap open before he poured us both some, he handed me my cup, "Here you go, you big boss mafia," He said with a low chuckle at the stupid mug his sister had custom-made for me.

I shot him a glare and he sheepishly smiled as he clicked his mug with mine, "Cheers," He said, taking his first sip and wincing, "Oh damn, this stings," He commented and I allowed the liquid to burn down my throat and chest, hoping it could rid me of the cursed flare etched to my soul or just help overcome it.

I turned to my left, watching Ronald as he enjoyed his drink, "Don't you have a better place to be at?"

He looked up at me, pressing his lips into a thin line, "Sadly, no," He said, shaking his head, "Natalie immediately walked into her room and locked it, meaning she'd rather be anywhere else but with me," He answered, taking another sip of his drink, "Dad is still at the hospital, recovering," He sighed, looking down at his cup, "Well, that's all I have," He shrugged, lowly whispering, "Not that I actually have them anyway."

Looks like I am not the only miserable one around here.

"No girlfriend?" I asked, just speaking without thinking, any subject might help drift my mind away.

He shook his head, "No," He said, "As long as I keep leading this life, I don't plan to bring anyone else into it," He added, looking at me with a raised eyebrow, "Unlike you, of course."

My jaw ticked and I said nothing because he was right. How much do I wish I can go back to that first session I had with her...I remember almost backing out before I walked into her office that day, I stood at the door, contemplating the stupidity of it. I always refused but Alex insisted, he didn't leave me be till I accepted, claiming we all somehow needed professional psychological support at some point in life.

I almost walked away that day. If only I did that.

I remember how at the last second, I shook that doubt away and stepped in, ready to test Alex's theory and hopefully prove him wrong later on. I walked in then stopped, transfixed. The woman that was supposedly responsible for helping me, was fast asleep. Her arms were crossed over the desk, her temple pressed on top of them, and her eyes were peacefully resting.

I've seen beautiful women before, not that I haven't. But there was something just so different about her that day. So much light radiated off her it was insane, you could almost see it, feel it; her softness, how delicate she is, how I can easily crush and break her with a mere touch. It all beckoned me forward. I should've left right at that second but the man in me who felt powerless for too many years, loved it when he felt powerful; when he sensed that he could easily ruin and destroy those in his path, it fed the monster in him in ways she will never comprehend.

She innocently said that she could help me that day. She had and still has no clue about the deepness of the madness in me, how it is rooted deep down into every cell in my being. How the darkness will always be etched on my soul. Isaac, alive or dead, doesn't control it.

The sound of glass clinking as Ronald filled my cup again pulled me back into the present, "You are right," I commented, "I should've never brought her into my life," It was too late now, she was already in it.

"First time we agree on something," Ronald said, amused.

"And the last time," I added and he rolled his eyes at my indifference.

I took another gulp of my drink, "Alex asked you to stay by my side, didn't he?"

He nodded, "Yeah," He said, "He cares about you way too much," He added and I smiled, my little brother was one of a kind, "Still, I think I would've stayed here even if he didn't ask me so," Ronald added and I turned to him, eyebrows pulling closer, "And why is that?" I asked.

He shrugged, "Beats me, I thought I hated you," He answered, just as confused as me.

My lips curled up in annoyance. Sighing, I looked away from him, taking another gulp as I leaned backward, pressing my back against the ropes. Unfortunately, the alcohol didn't clear my head in the slightest. But it seemed like the more I talked, the less I thought, so I kept making up conversations. No wonder Alex never shuts up. The more you speak, the less you think.

"What happened exactly after your mother's death?" I asked, deep down still desperate to learn my father's story as a whole, "Did Isaac force you into the HEX?"

Ronald seemed taken aback by my out-of-the-blue question or interest in him and he shook his head, "No actually," He answered, "He gave me a choice."

He never gave Emma a choice. My fingers tightened over the cup in my grip, needing to get to London as soon as the sun comes up. I don't usually underestimate my sister and what she is capable of, but I just think we all have a limit and I really don't want her to reach hers as I did.

"He said that he can give me a way to get strong, to have power, to get so close to him, to avenge what he took from me...from us," Ronald added, looking down and playing with the cups' edges, "Or to just leave it all behind and move on."

"And of course, you chose the hard way," I added and he lifted his gaze up, meeting mine and he nodded, "I think if anyone will ever understand the choice I made, it would be you," He stated, serious and I understood the underlying meaning behind his words, "To see your mother die right in front of you, to stand there and not be able to do anything, it's not something you can just...move on from."

Definitely not.

It's why I try my best to steer away from that memory. It keeps pushing itself to the forefront of my head and I keep suppressing it down.

I let out a low sigh, pulling myself out of that path, "Based on the way Isaac treated and cared for you, sometimes I wonder if you are on our side or his," The fucker helped him more than he ever did for his own blood and family.

Ronald's eyebrow raised, "If Isaac really wanted to help, he would've not brought me into this, he would've not stolen my little brother away from us," His jaw worked, "Isaac will always be the last man I'd ever think to side with," He added, "Also, if he so badly wanted Joseph to pay, he could've killed him anytime he wanted, so why didn't he?"

"My father goes by the 'revenge is a dish better served cold' moto," I explained, "He'd rather have his enemy live and suffer than die," I added, "He did it with Frank," He played the long game with his brother, making him gradually lose everything till there was nothing left anymore, "He is doing it with me."

He could easily kill me on the spot and no one would ask him why. But no, he'd rather scrap bits and pieces of me every day till I have nothing to fight for anymore.

"He will get his revenge when you, out of everyone, kill Joseph," I explained to Ronald, "You'd be the last person Joseph would expect, his very own nephew coming at him, the son of the sister he hated," I said, "Isaac takes pleasure in those small little details."

He likes it when the stab in your back comes from those you least expect.

Ronald stared at me for a long second, analyzing something, "For someone who understands him so well you'd think you would've killed him by now," He commented, his eyebrow playfully raising.

I shrugged, "I wonder the same."

Ronald shook his head, "You keep trying and trying but he will always have the upper hand on you, and do you know why," He spoke and that sounded like a concern in his voice, "Because he uses one thing only against you, your guilt and hate for yourself."

My eyebrow raised at his nonsense, "So what, I am supposed to love myself in order to beat him?"

He nodded, releasing the tension by turning the conversation playful, "Yeah, look at Alex, learn something from him."

I shook my head with a faint smile, "No one can beat Alex in the self-love department."

Ronald's smile widened and he nodded his head. His eyes narrowed slightly the longer he stared at me, "Do you realize what we did just now?" He asked, a bit astonished and he clarified, "We bounded, you and me, wow," He gave me a weirded-out look and whispered, "This is so weird."

I rolled my eyes and he carried on, "Does this mean we are friends now?" He asked.

I shook my head.

He gave me a knowing look, "We so are," He said, giddily.

"No."

"Yes, we are buddies now, and you can't deny it," He added and I hefted out an annoyed breath.

"You are the last person I'd be...buddies with," I stated.

He seemed offended and he shot me a glare, "What does a person have to do to become your friend, huh," He wondered and raised his hand up, counting on his fingers, one by one, "Nurse your wounds?" He questioned, referring to last time, "Keep your company when you need it?" He added, referring to now, raising a second finger and I rubbed a palm over my forehead, he was giving me a headache, "Help you plan your father's downfall?" He was still talking, "Get your pills shipped all the way from Russia?" His eyebrow raised, "Mind you but I had to speak with really mean men from the Russian mob to arrange this. You owe me big time."

I sighed and he wasn't finished, "Uhm, last but not least, allow you to date my awesome sister?" He added while grumbling, so not content with that fact.

"First of all, no one cares about what you allow and don't," I stated facts again, "Second of all, we are not dating." Here comes that stupid feeling again...

Ronald rolled his eyes, not satisfied with his next words, "It's either too obvious or maybe just a twin thing I only notice but Natalie is head over heels with you," He grumbled, harshly breathing out, "I don't understand why," He looked at me from up to down and rolled his eyes again, "But unfortunately, she is."

His words were like a balm to my inner wound but at the same time, they fucking burned because I desperately wished them to be true. He's either blind or so damn stupid because Natalie is everything but head over heels for me. If anything, I am the one who has become a lost case when it comes to her, the one that fell deep down that rabbit hole with no way nor instructions on how to get out.

I glared at him, because he was stupid and I was getting angry again due to the memory of my last interaction with his sister. Stressed lines etched between his eyebrows and he continued to speak nonsense, "Look, really, I don't want us to become in-laws, please don't marry my sister," He added with a fake cry and I wanted to slam his head somewhere.

I hefted out a harsh breath and grumbled out, "I am not marrying anyone."

Ronald shook his head, "No, no, go marry someone else, I don't mind, just not my sister," He added with a pleading tone, and my jaw ticked, facing him as I shot out, "Look I know I am as terrible as they come but I would never hurt Natalie in any way," My tone raised in frustration and I was so close to knocking him unconsciousness, "Not that I care for what you fucking mind or not!"

I just couldn't get why was he so against the idea of me and her together, it's not like I will ever cause her any pain. I don't think I am physically or mentally capable of it. God, I feel like my whole world crumbles when she just sheds a tear, how would I ever hurt her...

He nodded, "As twisted as it is, I know that you wouldn't," he answered, truthfully, "But everything that is you and around you, will."

My fingers curled into a fist, ready to plant it on his face but held myself back when I remembered the bewildered look in her eyes after I kissed her. True, everything around me did hurt her, or she would've not done what she did, or she would've not acted as she's been acting lately.

My jaw tightened and I thought it all through, from the first time she asked to break this relationship thing up till now, and couldn't help but feel that she is hiding something from me; What is it that you know, Natalie?

***************

Next day

Ronald and Jeremy's wary eyes were on me as I drank my water, swallowing down the pills after one hell of a day. My jaw tightened and I slammed the cup over the desk, glaring at them both as they eyed every move I made. Why does god send only the annoying people into my life? Is it a punishment? Because it sure as hell causes me more pain than any torture I've been subjected to.

Ronald smiled and pretended to wipe the fake sweat from over his head, "Phew," He said, ever so dramatically, "Thankfully this episode passed without you killing me or anyone else."

I gave him an unfazed look, "Killing you is never off the table so shut up."

He shook his head and his lips formed a grin, he looked at Jeremy, "Did I tell you?" He said, "Nikolas and I are buddies now."

"We are not."

"We so are."

"Hey, I want to be buddies with Nikolas too," Jeremy said, his mood going down as he looked at a very happy Ronald, and I felt like I am picking out my favorite kid among them when in reality, I wanted to just kill them all. Damn you morals.

I gave Jeremy a stern look, "Jeremy," My tone was enough for him to straighten up, "Get back to work," I ordered and he saluted me, "Yes, sir," He said as he went behind his desk.

My gaze flickered to Ronald and I was ready to assign something for him to do and stay a million miles away from me when the sounds coming from outside the office became louder, a new voice I immediately recognized. My eyebrows pulled closer, is that Emma? Ronald's confused gaze left mine and we both walked out of the office to check it out.

I headed toward the source of the voice, reaching the training room, where a couple of my men were already there, "Where is he-" My gaze fell on no one but Emma, her eyes also meeting mine among the crowd, and her words dying midsentence. Something vicious clouded her gaze and she marched forward, it took me a long second to absorb the fact that she was here when I was the one planning to go there today.

My gaze flickered all over her bruised face, how one of her arms was bandaged and her state proved that the attack was as brutal as I expected, "Emma, when did you get here?" I asked, worry underlying my tone as I stepped forward and I met her in the middle of the room.

His jaw tightened and instead of answering, she asked, "Why didn't you tell me?"

Lines etched between my eyebrows, "Tell you what?"

My clueless state had her anger intensifying, her fingers on the side curling into a fist. The look in her eyes was of pure fury, I don't think she ever looked at me like this before. She is angry...at me. What the hell have I done again to deserve all this hate radiating from her eyes?

I tried to think back and figure out what was the reason behind her rage but she left me no choice when she asked it herself, "Why didn't you tell me about Vivian?!"

Oh.

Fuck.

Yeah, I totally deserve her anger.

"Emma," I started to say, wishing I will be able to reason with her but no, my sister was way out of it to care for that now, "Answer me, Nikolas!"

"You knew from the beginning?" She asked, her breathing getting heavier and I knew I could no longer lie.

I nodded my head.

"You threatened her not to tell me anything?" She gave me a chance to deny it. To assure her I wasn't as bad as Isaac. She desperately wanted that, I could see it in her gaze but I could no longer lie.

I nodded my head again.

I saw her fingers on the side shake, with the immense feeling of anger or betrayal, I couldn't make out which was more prominent at the moment.

"Why?" She demanded an explanation but I had none.

"I learned it after I thought I had killed Isaac back in the day, right before I got you out of the HEX," I explained and she waited for the why part of it.

"Why, Nikolas?" She snapped, "Why?"

My gaze left her and flickered around the room, to everyone who was standing and watching this moment unfold. My jaw tightened and I nodded toward my office, "Let's go talk inside."

She shook his head, "No Nikolas, we will talk here!" She stressed out, "Or what, are you scared your men will see you for who you truly are," She added with a scoff.

Air harshly pushed out of my nose, keeping myself calm because she was the right one in this situation, and I deserved all of her anger, so I gave her the answer she was waiting for, "Back then, I wanted your head to be in the game, for you to be a hundred percent focused, I didn't want that truth to hold you back so I didn't say a thing," Fuck, here was another sin I didn't know how to amend for; using Emma as my personal weapon back when I snapped and ruined everyone's life.

I thought we didn't need to go back and reminisce those days after the way our relationship progressed over the last months. Looks like I actually forgot the man I was and dared to convince myself that I could become a redeemed man. But like they say cut your coat according to your cloth and I've dreamt more than I can afford.

"And the more time that passed," I added, hating myself yet again, wanting all of her anger now, "The more I couldn't get myself to tell you because I was scared of...this." Of losing one of the very few people I get to call my family.

***************

Emma's POV

Hearing his response, I didn't think, I couldn't. With a loud groan, I marched forward, my fist instantly flew and connected with his face, slightly pushing him backward. I placed all of my efforts into it and he made no attempt to fight me back.

Nikolas's hand lifted up to his face, to the corner of his lips, where was cut was forming and blood gradually spurred forward. He wiped at it and I fully absorbed the dangerous look that took over his eyes, the tightening in his jaw, and the fisting of his hands.

He didn't like this one bit, but he had no fucking choice.

I could feel everyone's wide eyes on us, no one expecting me to kick their boss's ass, but I was ready to bury him ten feet underground with the rage that is consuming me. All the weakness I've felt before got transferred into pure fury. The thought that the person I trusted most in this world, the only family I thought I had lied to me, and hid something of such importance from me. It all cut a deep wound into my heart, reminding me that I came into this world alone and that is what I will always be.

"Emma," Nikolas started to say, trying to contain my next attack but I was no way near done. I raised my hand up, silencing any next word or apology he was about to make.

"You are an asshole, Nik," I said, my teeth clenching, "You were and still are selfish," I took a step forward, my fingers curling over the material of his shirt, "By the end of the day, you only think about yourself and what benefits you. Nothing more."

I was crazy to think he ever cared. "Which is why you will always end up alone," At this moment, I wanted him to end up all alone, I wanted him to feel what it is like to get betrayed by someone you blindly trusted.

My words had something flash into his eyes, because deep down he believed in them too. Deep down, he was hating himself as much as I am hating him now. Good.

"Say something," I grated out, pushing at his chest.

His silence triggered me more, I was hoping he would have an excuse, a reason as to why he would play me dirty, but no, it's simple, he didn't care...he didn't care about me. And fuck, but that hurts so much because I cared, a lot. For god's sake, I was spiraling each day I thought he was dead.

"You never cared about me, did you," I grated out, "I am not Alex, so why would you care anyway," The things he is ready to do for him, he'd never do for me. I'd be wise to remember that the next time.

He shook his head, refusing the idea immediately, "Emma, don't say that," He said, "Of course, I care about you, but back then-"

"No, don't use the I was unstable excuse on me now because you could've told me after it, I would've understood your reasons to hide it then," I said, "For god's sake, if you came today and told me yourself, I would've still forgiven you but this all proves one thing, you were never planning to tell me about her!"

The rage pushed and pulled at my chest and all I felt is my fist rising, ready to slam into his face and make him feel pain again, but he was more prepared this time, his hand stopped my attack as it wrapped around my fist.

He looked back at me, not angry, but desperate for me to calm down.

The way he tried to stop me infuriated me more and there was nothing that could hold me back anymore. I groaned, pulling my fist out of his grip just as I used the other to land a punch into his stomach. I know exactly the spot to hit in order to cause pain and I succeeded because a low groan vibrated off Nikolas and he edged backward, but I wasn't done. I twisted my hips, moving forward and kicking him in the stomach, this time hard enough to have him stagger backward, the back of his legs hitting the ring's edge.

I marched closer, wanting to bring him in and keep beating him till all my anger goes away but the fucked up thing is he didn't fight me back. I want him to fight back so I can prove that I can take him down. Groaning, I pushed him further, everywhere in my body hurt like hell but I didn't stop as I jumped on him, pushing us both into the ring's mat.

His back hit the mat and I climbed on top, one hand pressed over his shoulder, keeping him down and my other hand fisted in the air, aimed and ready to beat him senseless. I couldn't get myself to do it and he was just staring up at me, his gaze flickering over my face, over where I know my bruises are printed wide and clear.

My chest was heaving, panting for one normal breath as I shot out, "Why aren't you fighting me back!"

"Do you really think I would do that?" He said, his voice low and neutral, not angry at me that I was trying to beat him in front of everyone. Why is he so damn infuriating? I hate him, I hate him...

I let out a loud groan, my fist going down and hitting the mat right by his head, his lack of defense triggering me beyond measure and I pulled myself away from him. He got up as well, his eyes carefully assessing me and my current state. The anger was starting to fade away and in its place came back that hollow shitty feeling. My throat tightened, and a rock lodged at its base, forbidding me from breathing the normal way.

"Don't come near me ever again," I said, my tone less furious but reflecting all the hurt his action caused.

I whirled around, jumped off the ring, and pushed my way outside this place. I walked out, the cold wind slapping me in the face and triggering more emotions in me than I'd like to let out. The hand curling over my arm from the back stopped me midway. His fingers tight and not letting go easily, "Emma," Nikolas said, using his hold to turn my body around so I can face him.

"I know that sorry doesn't cut it-"

"It doesn't," I interrupted harshly, "I hate you."

He nodded, "I deserve that," He said, "I was just so scared to lose you over this," He said, stressed lines etching his forehead and I scoffed, "Scared? Yeah, of course, because you care about me so much, don't you," I mocked.

He nodded, "I do, more than I can put into words," His jaw worked as his gaze caressed my face again, in his eyes I could see the guilt and regret but I won't let this go easily and even if I did, I won't treat him with the same importance I used to, "You're my little sister, how can I not care about you," He added.

I shook my head, "I don't know, you tell me," That bitter feeling scratched at my throat again and I mocked, "As I said, I am no Alex, so I can't blame you there."

His lips pressed into a thin line at my stupid jealousy but I had the right to be jealous, he literally died for him, and he would sacrifice me at the first chance. I don't deserve that. I deserve better.

"Emma, what nonsense is this," He grated out, "He is my brother, you are my sister, you both are literally the only family I have," He added, "Truth is, you and I share things Alex could never understand," He said, his tone genuine, "We both have our roots so deep in this world, we both have darkness inside that scares the shit out of us," Why was he speaking facts I didn't like, "We battle similar demons because the main cause of them is one man only."

My chest tightened with every word he spoke and how true it all was.

"Our bond is just so different and you know that," He added, "Because you and I, we are too similar."

"Since we are similar, you would've know how badly I wanted to know anything about where I came from, Nikolas," I said, ever so weakly, tears ready to push through but I held them back.

His jaw tightened, "I know, and I promise, I will make my best to earn your forgiveness because I won't allow myself to lose you, Emma," He said, his hand coming to mine, "But for now, come with me."

He pulled me closer, heading somewhere and pulling me along. I was too shocked to stop him so I asked, "Go where?"

His jaw worked, his eyes focused ahead as we circled our way around the factory, going behind it, "To show you something I haven't shown anyone yet."

Behind the factory laid a building. Old and abounded. Nikolas made his way inside and climbed up the stairs. Confused, I looked around, still trying to understand where this madman was taking me. We reached the third floor and Nikolas paused by the only apartment there. His hand left mine and he pulled his keys out, unlocking the door.

I wanted to snap at him some more, and I was in no way near forgiving him now but I was curious to figure out what he was hiding behind closed doors.

He stepped inside and I followed. My gaze fell on the two men inside the living room, the ones that greeted Nik and nodded their heads in respect. Before I could question anything, Nikolas was moving to the other room, his fingers twisted the knob and he opened the door, revealing to me what he was doing behind everyone's back.

He took a step in and I followed. My eyes first took notice of the TV that is turned on with some type of cartoon playing in the background. My gaze flickered from the screen to the bed across from it, to the kid sitting there. His eyes left the TV and went to Nikolas before they met mine and I understood nothing.

"Who is this?" I asked, my voice low and my words directed at Nikolas.

"That's Isaac's only weakness."

What?

I looked at Nikolas, my eyebrows pulling closer, questioning more before I looked back at the kid. His hazel eyes confusingly stared back at mine, trying to understand who I am as well.

I scoffed, mocking, "Don't tell me he is our brother," It was too funny to think about.

When Nikolas stayed silent, I got scared. He sighed and shrugged, "Something like that."

My eyes widened. What the actual fuck?

***************

Later at night...

Nikolas's POV

Hesitantly, I unlocked the door of my house and walked inside. My gaze flickered around and took notice of my surroundings, searching for a specific blondie. After the day I had, the last thing I needed was to run into her and fight or speak of our last encounter.

The only light that illuminated the place was coming from the living room and the closer I got, the clearer the sounds coming from the TV became. I paused by the entrance, my gaze falling on the screen projecting some type of movie. My gaze flickered to the girl sitting over the couch, legs crossed and in her hand was a glass of some sort, she placed it on her lips and gulped down whatever was left of it.

She grumbled in annoyance, her words incoherent as she glared at the glass and slammed it over the table. She looked around her eyes searching for something and she sighed loudly.

"Oh, here you are!" She said, rather excitedly as she found what she was looking for on the floor.

She leaned down, ready to get whatever she was searching for but when she lifted her head up, it hit the table's corner, "Owww," She moaned in pain, winicng and her hand pressing over her temple.

I walked inside, my eyes assessing her out-of-sorts state, "Natalie," I called for her as I came to a stop across from her, my eyebrows pulling closer in worry, "Are you okay?"

Her eyes flickered up to me and she smiled...actually smiled, "Nikolas!" She said, ever so excitedly.

The hell...

My eyes went to what she picked up from the floor, a wine bottle, one that seemed to be almost empty. My gaze drifted to the one-quarter-full jack daniels bottle placed over the table.

Natalie pushed herself up to her feet, barely able to balance herself as she clutched the couch's armrest, her eyes on me as she said, "You are finally back!" The words slurred from her mouth and my eyes took a full look at her. She was wearing grey shorts and a baggy pink t-shirt that reached her upper thigh. Over her hair was a headband that had bunny ears bouncing off.

"You're drunk," I observed.

She smiled, a hazy one and she nodded her head multiple times, "Yeap," She placed the empty wine bottle to her lips and tried to drink whatever was left of it, "I finished this bottle," She said shaking it and placing it over the table only to have it fall back into the floor. I immediately edged forward scared it might break by her feet but thankfully it didn't, "Also I drank some of your ja...jack daniels," She made an unhappy expression and shook her head, "Not a very good combo, I might add."

My eyebrows pulled closer in worry and I edged forward, "Are you okay?" I asked, checking again because it was not like her to drink this much.

She giggled, "No, I am perfect!" She said, almost tripping as she circled her way around the table and closer to my side.

My hand shot out, trying to catch and keep her balanced. I pulled her closer and she tipped her head up, flashing me a sheepish smile, "You are so pretty," She said, her voice way off course.

My eyebrow raised, "So are you," I said, "But you are drunk, so let me take you to bed."

Her eyes widened in astonishment and she inched her head closer, whispering, "Are you finally gonna have sex with me?"

Oh dear lord...

"No, I am taking you to your room," I said as I picked up the remote and turned the TV off, my other arm still around her as I led her way out of here and toward her bedroom.

"But...but no," She whined, pouting like a baby, "Why don't you want to have sex with me, am I not hot enough?"

My lips twitched because I really missed this version of her, the one who spoke freely about whatever was on her mind, she has been so closed off lately that I forgot how blunt she used to be, "Do I not turn you on at all?" She asked, still pouting and I sighed, "You have no idea, Natalie."

"Is it my hair?" She asked, her hand going and touching strands of her hair. I gave her a questioning look as I opened the door to her bedroom and walked her in, "What's wrong with your hair?"

"You hate it, is it why you won't have sex with me?"

I tried not to laugh at her words and nodded my head, "Yes Natalie, I am not gonna sleep with you because of your hair," I said, my mocking tone addressing the silliness of her thought as I sat her down on the bed.

Her lower lip was still pouting and I tried not to look there. It looked like she believed my words and I shook my head, smiling as I brought my hand to her face, it rested over her cheek and my thumb gently caressed the soft skin, "You are perfect, Natalie," I said, "There is nothing wrong with you." If only she knew.

Lines etched between her eyebrows, her eyes looking up at me, sitting down over the bed's edge as I stood across from her, "So the problem is you, right?" She said, her eyes narrowing at me, "Do you like have a problem...performing?"

I sighed at her nonsense and retreated my hand backward, not willing to indulge her in this conversation, "Come on, lay down," I urged and she shook her head, her hand coming to mine, "Because it is okay if that is the problem," She said, ever so understanding and I wanted to facepalm, "We can see a doctor, it's normal, I swear."

My eyebrow raised and I helped her bring her legs up and laid her head over the pillow, "Natalie, I can perform quite alright, don't worry about me," I said as I pulled the comforter over her body and her eyes stayed narrowed at me, "Imma have to test-drive it first and see with my own eyes, or I won't believe you."

I chuckled and leaned down, pressing a little kiss over her forehead, "Okay, sleep for now," I said, edging backward, "We can talk about my performance later."

Her hand came and fisted over my shirt, pulling me closer before I tried to move away, "Not on my forehead, on my lips," She said, whining and addressing the kiss.

I brought my hand and wrapped it over hers, gently pulling it off, "If I am going to kiss again, you gonna have to be sober and you will have to beg for it, Natalie," I added with a wink as I edged backward and her eyes widened in shock, "You are so mean!"

"Keep sleeping on this side," I warned her not to sleep on her back in case she wakes up throwing up or anything later on. Judging by the amount of alcohol she consumed, she just might, "Good night, Natalie," I said as I stepped away from the bed, turning the lights off and keeping her door ajar so I can hear if she called for me through the night.

I headed to my room, opened the door, and stepped in, only to find that little monster sleeping in the middle of my bed. I sighed in annoyance, when will this thing be out of my life for good? She opened her eyes when I turned the lights on, she lifted her head up looking at me through squinted eyes before her head fell down on the mattress and fell back asleep as if nothing happened.

I decided to ignore her for now, I pulled my phone out and checked my latest messages. A few minutes passed before the sound of footsteps nearing averted my gaze from the screen, they fell at my room's entrance, where Natalie stood.

My eyebrows pulled closer, "What's wrong?"

She took a step inside, still trying to balance herself on two feet, "I want to sleep here," She said, more like demanded, "I miss sleeping beside you."

I let out a low sigh and inched closer, "You will regret that in the morning, so let me take you back to your room," I suggested and she shook her head, refusing, "No!" She said loudly, glaring at me, "If I will regret it, then let me, I will sleep here tonight, you can't say no."

She inched closer and sat down on the bed's edge, "Aww Massie," She said, ever so sweetly as she caressed the cat's head, "You also love sleeping beside Nik?" She asked her and the cat was deep in her sleep to care, "He is like a teddy bear, right?"

Deciding to ignore that comment and just let her do whatever she pleased, I headed for the closet to change my clothes. I took off my jacket and unbuckled the first few buttons when I heard her footsteps pausing behind me. She leaned against the wall, her eyes looked tired and just so damn innocent. She smiled again as she gazed me, reminding me how much I loved that smile.

She waved her hand in the air, "Carry on, carry on, don't let me stop you," She said.

She walked closer, reaching my side and her hand rested over my chest and moved to my shoulder, steadying herself as she gazed up at me. Even drunk, a war of emotions clouded the blue of her eyes and I found myself asking, "What happened, Natalie?"

Her expression shifted to a sad one, "A lot of things," She whispered, "Everything."

I brought my hand to her face, hooking it under her chin, "You can tell me," I urged and she shook her head, "No, there are things...things you can't control."

I swallowed hard, needing to know one thing, "Do you hate me?"

She smiled ever so weakly, "Sometimes I wish I can," She shook her head, "It would make everything so much easier, wouldn't it?"

My finger gently brushed the area at the corner of her mouth, "What are you scared of?" Was I a dick for trying to get answers from her now when she was willing to speak; yes, I was but I have to know something, anything.

She stared at me for a long second, trying to find the answer to that question. Her eyebrows pulled closer, "You," She whispered.

Her one word had something in my chest break, "Me?" I asked and she nodded her head.

"Why?" The question scraped out of my tight throat, "What do you think I would do?"

She lifted her shoulders up, shrugging and shaking her head, "I don't know."

I tried to grasp the intensity of the situation, how out of everyone, she is scared of me for some reason. Her hand dropped from over my chest, stepping backward and sleepily rubbing at her eyes, "I drank too much," She mumbled, scolding herself and huffing out, "It feels so hot," She mumbled walking a bit away.

She reached my bed, her fingers curled over the hem of her shirt and she started to pull it over her head, "What are you doing?" I shot out, my eyes growing wide when she attempted to take her clothes off.

She turned to look at me, pouting, so out of it,"It is so hot in here," She whined, like a little girl struggling at first before she threw the shirt onto the bed.

My jaw tightened and I immediately looked away. She was gonna drive me half mad today.

"Yeah, look away from me, Nik," She mumbled with annoyance, her mood swings giving me a whiplash, "Way to boost my confidence."

Jesus. Drunk her was a more blunt, more annoying version of her.

"You're drunk, Natalie," I stressed out, "Wear something and get in bed."

Instead of listening to me, because of course, she wouldn't, she got closer, challenging me as she crossed her arms over her chest and I did my best to not look below her neck, "What if I said no."

My jaw tightened and I held her with a pointed look, "Then, I will put you there myself."

My words had her break into a big grin, coyly winking at me, stepping forward and playing with the lapels of my shirt, "Now we are talking business."

"Go to bed," I ordered, my voice losing all of its humor.

"Make me."

God, grant me patience.

"Natalie!"

"Nikolas!" She stressed back with the same tone. She was just so infuriating, sometimes making me wonder why I keep tolerating her this much.

Her fingers tightened over my shirt and she looked up at me, her eyes falling onto my lips, "Kiss me," She demanded.

"Not happening."

She groaned and glared at me, "I swear to god you have problems performing," Patience god, patience, "Or else we both would be naked now."

I pressed my lips into a thin line, stopping my brain from going there. I knew she won't shut up till she pushes me off the edge of insanity so my arm sneaked under her knees, the other going around her waist as I picked her up needing her to shut up and fall asleep.

She gasped at the sudden movement and I moved her to bed. She didn't let me go when I placed her on the mattress, her fingers so tight over my shirt, "At least sleep beside me," She said while pouting.

I nodded my head and climbed beside her, just like we used to, she squeezed herself into my embrace, fitting in my arms like the first day. A low satisfied sound came from her and she pushed herself even closer. My eyelids glided down for a second, savoring the little moment because I missed how she felt wrapped between my arms.

But I knew this time, I won't fall asleep as easily, not when the person she is actually scared of is myself.

I looked at her, her eyes still open, looking at my chest, her fingers lightly moving over one of the visible scars, "Natalie," I said, bringing her eyes to me.

"Huh?"

"Did Isaac talk to you?" I had to ask.

She blinked and stayed silent for a long moment before she finally nodded her head.

My jaw tightened, "What did he say?"

Her gaze flickered away, going back to my chest, just anywhere but my eyes, "To stay away from you," She mumbled and my assumptions got proved right, "And?" I questioned. He must've threatened her, or offered something in return. Fuck, I knew it. All of her actions lately, there was something off.

"And if I do so," She whispered, looking at me again, "He will give me something I would want."

"And that something is?"

Her lower lip quivered, and tears rushed to her eyes but never crossed the threshold, "My little brother," She said, ever so weakly, "Nathan."

*********************************

Hello!

Hope you liked the chapter ;)

At least now, you all know where Noah comes from lol xD and maybe why he worked with Nathan later in BR ;)

Don't forget to vote and comment your thoughts and opinions.

See ya soon ;)

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.1K 163 58
"He Sat Fire To The World Around Himself but He Never Let a Flame Touch Her..." Unknown. He always protects what he loves, and she never noticed him...
1.6K 86 14
Nobody knew his last name, but they knew his name and also that he was the right hand of the most feared and powerful Mafia, not just in Russia, but...
STEPS By Elise

Non-Fiction

15.7K 889 34
This is my memoir. As such, I am letting you in on the most intimate parts of me. No glib opinion piece or a well-thought-out theory, this. It's me...
543 3 29
Some things are never meant to happen the way that they happen. Some things are not supposed to break the way they break, but we are not in charge of...