Crimes of the Island City (A...

By PhantomKing46

Season 1 of Crimes of the Island City After landing a job at the KFP branch in the island city, Takano, wher... More

Chapter 1: Starting on a Monday
Chapter 2: Errands! Errands! Errands!
Chapter 3: A new place
Chapter 4: It's been a week
Chapter 5: Identity revealed
Chapter 6: The Mission
Chapter 8: Conclusion to the auction
Chapter 9: Two sides of the coin
Chapter 10: Agent discovered
Chapter 11: The side job
Chapter 12: The Reaper and the Healer
Chapter 13: This is war
Epilogue

Chapter 7: Investigating the auction

39 2 0
By PhantomKing46

I arrived at Takano's Grand Hotel. It was really huge and really fancy-looking. It had around three buildings, and both were over 6 storeys high.

I looked down and saw that I look rather embarrassing if I were to walk in there looking like this. I didn't have an undershirt, and buttoning up my coat would make it look tight on me.

Thankfully, there was a thrift store nearby. I bought a short-sleeved white polo and a black necktie from it and immediately put them on. It was surprisingly much more comfy than my KFP uniform.

####

The moment I stepped into the hotel. The first thing that caught my attention was the number of people in her that were wearing tuxedos and fancy dresses. The air smelled so fragrant. The decorations were all elegant. I felt like silver in a pile of gold.

I tried to act natural, but sweat came streaming down the side of my face. I walked through the crowd as they saw my rather tall complexion. It didn't receive much reaction, but I got looks of awe and surprise directed towards me.

I got even more anxious now that I got some people eyeing me like I had no business here whatsoever. But I didn't pay much attention to it.

I inspected every nook and cranny for clues about the auction. I was eavesdropping on every conversation, looking for the right person who knew about the auction.

I wandered around until I stumbled upon someone who was talking about the auction. Luckily, the guy was next to the food table. I could eavesdrop on the guy without him noticing what I'm actually doing.

I listened in a little bit and heard that there going to be a lot of high-standing people who'll participate in the auction. Unfortunately, Hakizura isn't coming to the auction, but he has a representative. I guess I have to look for that guy and take him out.

I moved to the entrance and observed those who would enter. Those who entered were greeted with hugs and handshakes. I listened in to their conversations if they were the representative of Hakizura or not.

After several minutes of staring at my home screen, pretending to be busy on my phone, I heard someone talk about Hakizura. I immediately looked up from my phone and saw a young man, somewhere around their mid 20's, in the same getup as mine. He had two bodyguards with him. Both were bald and towered over him.

I observed them shake hands with several guests before being escorted far from me.

I began to tail these people, keeping a really good distance from them due to my height. The representative was then escorted into a room while his bodyguards.

I composed myself a bit and walked towards the room where the representative was staying at. I was halted by the bodyguard at the door. One of them asked my purpose before they let me in.

I claimed to be a journalist who wished to interview the representative. However, the guards didn't buy it. Thankfully, one of the guards heard a rumor about a journalist who was expected to interview Hakizura's representative. The guard told me to wait here so he could inform the representative of my arrival.

After a few seconds, the door was opened widely for me. The representative was laid back on the couch. I entered the room while one of the guards closed the door with himself inside the room.

"Ah, you must be the journalist. A pleasure it is to meet you," the representative greeted me by extending his hand. I took his hand and shook it.

"It's also a pleasure to meet you, Mr. Representative," I played along.

"Please, have a seat," the representative offered. He poured me a glass of wine and offered it to me.

I took the glass as I sat down on the chair. I took a sip of the wine and it had a very exquisite taste and aroma to it, compared to the red wine Calli enjoys.

"I have to ask, sir. How does it feel to represent your company in the upcoming events that await you at this hotel?" I asked, taking out my phone, pretending to record his response.

"Well, it feels honorable to represent such a huge name in the industry. Hakizura Corporations, after all, aims to be at the top of the world," the man said with so much confidence.

"Very interesting... Another question. How do you see the future of the company?" I followed up.

"Well I can't say for sure. But what I can say is that we might achieve a breakthrough in the medical industry," the man claimed.

"Is it possible for us to get a sneak peek at this achievement?" I requested.

"Sorry, but it will remain a company secret until further notice," the man refused.

"I see," I replied. "Mr. Representative, I heard rumors about something called a 'Re-humanization Program' happening at Hakizura Corporations. What is your take on this, sir?"

The man paused for a while. I took a drink from my glass as I waited for his response.

"Re-humanization? Sounds absurd to me," the man responded. "If such program existed, I would've known about it, and told you a few details about it. Or told you that I can't reveal such program to the public."

That's strange. He showed no signs of hiding something. Either this man was really good at lying, or he doesn't know about it. The way he responded sounded so certain that he knew nothing. But I'll give him the benefit of the doubt.

"Rumors claim that this program aims to turn non-humans into humans again, through the help of the corporation's technology," I stated.

"That sounds a bit racist, don't you think? It promotes a race above another, and I believe that my company wouldn't stand for that," the man said firmly.

I finished my drink and grabbed the bottle to pour me some more wine into my glass. I stood up from my seat as I poured the wine.

"I want to thank you for your time, Mr. Representative," I said.

I flipped the bottle in my hand, like I was holding a weapon, and swung it at the guard's head at an insane speed. The bottle break and it caved the guard's head in. A lot of the wine stained my white polo shirt and coat, but my coat didn't absorb the liquid.

I looked back at the man to see a face of pure horror.

"Hey! What's going o-" I grabbed the other bodyguard, who just entered the room, by his mouth and threw him to my chair. I stabbed the broken bottle on their head.

I looked back at the man, and he was just frozen in fear. I had single-handedly killed two of his bodyguards.

"W-what d-do you want f-from me!?" The man trembled.

"You're gonna go in that auction without knowing what'd happen to those you will buy," I replied.

"A-auction???" The man asked. "H-how do you know about it, and what will happen to them?"

There I realized that this guy knew nothing of Hakizura's wrongdoings. Hakizura was about to throw a clueless gazelle into a lion's den. However, he can't live since he'll alert the guards and the auction will be called off.

I approached the man and made a finger gun gesture close to his left chest— my two fingers were touching his chest. I could feel his heavy breathing and heartbeat against my fingers. I saw the intense fear in his eyes and his face pouring out sweat like a cold can of beer under the hot sun.

"Don't think of this as death, but freedom from your employer's crimes..." I said.

"Wha-" My finger gun gesture transitioned into a quick one-inch punch. The man made one final gasp before leaning his head all the way back. It seems the power of the punch stopped his heart completely, killing him in an instant.

I wanted to change into his clothes, but they were too small for me. I sighed and cast a healing spell on my wine-stained white polo shirt to remove the huge stain on it.

A phone on the table buzzed and showed a message on the lock screen. It said that the auction was going to start at exactly 12 AM in the hotel's cellar. I took the guy's ID's so I could blend in. I took a look at the picture and he has near similar facial features to mine. It's just that his hair is slick back, compared to my messy hair.

####

I followed the signs of the hotel that were pointing to the cellar. I was halted by a guard who was standing in the way. I showed the guy's ID and he let me through without a second thought.

The guard escorted me to a room with delicate lighting and decorations. It had a chair similar to the representative's room. Beside the chair were three glasses and a bucket of ice with wine in it. The room also had a huge window that had a clear view of other rooms and the stage, where the "items" would be displayed.

The windows of the other rooms had a dark tint, so I'm guessing mine had a dark tint as well.

I sat down and waited for a couple of minutes for the auction to start. The guard then entered my room and offered me a tablet. I thought they were giving away free tablets, but when I turned it on, it showed me a keypad and a ¥ symbol on the typing field. I guess it's to input the amount of money for bidding.

The guard left my room after I had turned on the tablet. I waited for several more minutes, before a reminder was announced on the speaker of the room. They said that the auction will begin shortly.

####

"Welcome, everyone! To Takano's Grand Hotel Auction. Today, we will have a special auction for those who wish to have a good time for the rest of their lives. And I guarantee you that our offers are of fantastic quality," the host greeted us. "But before we start our auction, why don't we first get to know our participants for this evening?"

Time to see the sick fucks who decided to participate in such auction.

The announcer introduced the CEO's of companies I was unfamiliar with. However, the next one he introduced sent shivers down my spine.

"Let us all welcome, the revered leader of one of Japan's most powerful crime families, Ryoumen Kishita of the Kishita Clan." The announcer gleefully introduced.

"K-Kishita!?" I shouted in my head. To attract a member— let alone have them participate— from a high-standing criminal organization, is such an impossible feat. But this auction, has managed to do that. I wonder why the Kishita Clan leader would join such auction.

"And last, but definitely not the least, Howard Lockley, representative of Hakizura Corporations," the announcer referred to me. "Now, without further ado, bring in the first item!"

It seems the auction has finally begun. They brought in the first woman, and it absolutely horrified me to see them. It's not that I personally knew or recognized the woman. They weren't even a woman to begin with. They brought in a child, a literal  child to be sold in this auction. I had to get them before anyone else could.

The bidding phase had now started. The starting bid was 30,000 yen. The other participants started bidding over a couple thousand yen more. I entered my pin combination, and bid 50,000 yen. No one contested so it was sold to me.

The girl was then taken off the stage for another one. She was escorted to my room by a guard. She was very scared and sweating like crazy. When I took a glance at her, she immediately looked away in fear. I feel really sorry that she has to experience this, especially as a child.

"W-what a-are you... gonna d-do to me?" The girl spoke out.

"Nothing. I won't do anything to you," I replied.

"P-promise?" the girl asked.

I stood up from my seat and knelt down in front of the girl. I extended my hand to her and stretched out my pinky. She grabbed my pinky with hers to seal the promise.

As we did that, I returned to my seat to see that I had lost the second girl. I guess I'll have to save the others then.

"Kid, I'm gonna buy your other companions and you tell them I'm a nice guy when they get here, alright?" I ordered the kid.

"Y-yes sir!" The girl responded.

I was able to get the next two girls for a total of 92,000 yen. I'll have to try to get the next one.

"It seems that Hakizura's on a streak, can the others still compete?" The auctioneer announced.

The next girl came in. She somewhat had a mature body, but I'm guessing she's a teenager. I already bid 80,000 on her. I'm sure no one would be able to bid higher than that.

"We have 100,000 yen, coming from Mr. Kishita! That means she is sold to, Mr. Kishita." The auctioneer pounds the gavel. Well, it looks like I have to step up my game. "We have four more items remaining, so keep your money at your disposal. Because this may be a fast one."

Well shit. Kishita's not afraid to spend their money after all. Four more girls. I can't let them slide past me. I cracked my knuckles and leaned forward in my chair.

Let the bidding wars begin.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

3.2K 124 9
Who knew one day with a random interaction my job could ruined peaceful life. Never wanted any fame and working a dead-end job. But now I am losing m...
31K 1.5K 48
Calli meets three girls and makes friends with them, they help her get through some stuff but what happenes when a person from the past comes back an...
13K 844 30
Young Amelia Watson, bored by the idyll monotony of her life in the British countryside, always longed for an adventure. Her chance to change her fat...
22.9K 789 35
The story of the mythical beings was real after all. First-Person Perspective. Alternative Universe. Art: @ninomaeinanis