The Meeting

By storiesbym3223

A story of when an aspiring music artist meets the England captain. But is everything as written in the stars... More

The Journey
The Reunion
The Instagram
A date?
Friends...
Manchester
Night Cap?
The Morning After
Liverpool
Going smoothly
Gemma
The Power of Social Media
Those three words
The Fireworks
Anniversary or Ending?
The Text
The Awards
The After Party
Spare Time
Ellie
Blossoming
Gavin
Leah
Closure
The Visitor
The Letter
The Aftermath
I Choose You
End of an Era
Lydia
Selflessness
Love you from afar.
Last Stop - London
Home Bird
The Surprise
Let the Games Begin
1-0 down
Not Again, Surely?
Change the Ending
The Reactions
Without My Mum
The Walk
The Vows.
Who Would've Thought It?
The Dads.
Jacob (Best Man)
Ellie and Lydia
The Bride
The First Dance
Alex and Peter Dance
Finish Your Sentence
Bad Press
The Buckets
An Inspiration
Giving Up
It's My Turn
Family First
For Leah
The Beginning
For Better or Worse. Right?
Too Little, Too Late?
The Brits
The World, My World
She's Still Here
The Announcement
Come Back
A Different Ending
11 months later
Unconditional Support
New Girl
Loved?
The Past
Escapism
Give It Up For You
Looking Through The Years
Two Worlds
The Academy
First Time
Confidence
Apart
Grief
The Aftermath
Twitter Spat
Aoife
Twice
The Meeting, Again
Theo
Using the Platform
Growth
Emptiness
Unfair
The Shock
Festive Season
Teacher
I'm Done
Small vs Big
Mamma Said
To Be Expected
Coming Home
Different Kind of Closeness
Lack of Understanding
Life Stories: Part 1
Life Stories: Part 2
Mood Swings
Two Decades Later
I Won't Be Long
The Media
The Departure

New Addition

4.4K 79 19
By storiesbym3223

⚠️Deals with birth complications⚠️

Leah POV

Alex and I planned to renew our vows after the birth of our baby, wanting all our children to be present. This didn't stop us looking at venues, picking songs, and of course planning the outfits that the kids would wear. In the weeks before Alex's due date she was completely exhausted, her body tired quickly and most nights we were tucked up in bed at the same time as the kids. To be truthful, I kind of liked it. Not her being tired, but knowing that when we woke up in the mornings, I only had 14 hours until we would be tangled up together again. Neither of us knew when we got into bed on a normal Wednesday night, the night that lay ahead of us. Or how much heartbreak we were both about to feel.

I woke to the feeling of Alex gently shaking me, her phone to her ear and her face wincing.

"Alex, what's wrong?"
"Baby's on the way, Le." She mouthed as I heard my Mum's voice on the other end of the phone.

I jumped out of bed, fumbling for the light switch and tripping over the hospital bag as I tried to open the wardrobe the put clothes on, making Alex let out a hearty laugh. I threw on tracksuit bottoms and a sweatshirt before placing a sweatshirt over Alex's head and kissing her lips. She wrapped her arm around my neck, using her feet to pull herself to the edge of the bed and my shoulder to pull herself to her feet. As much as I was excited for what was to come, I hated knowing she had to go through this level of pain. We took small steps across the landing, then one step at a time downstairs; trying to ensure we didn't wake the kids. By the time we made it downstairs, Mum had used her key to let herself in, smiling at the two of us.

"You two go, I'll explain to them when they wake up." Mum kissed both of us on the cheek.
"Theo's on an antibiotic for a chest infection, he'll need his medicine when he wakes up and then every four hours." Alex told her.
"They'll be fine, you just concentrate on bringing that little one into the world."

I placed Alex into the passenger seat of the car as she threw her head back onto the headrest and let out a small grunt of pain.

"I'm just going to get the bag, Al. I'll be two minutes, okay?" I whispered as my lips touched hers once more.
"Le?" She grabbed my hand.
"Yes?"
"You're very hot when you're flustered." A cheeky smile appearing on her face as I rolled my eyes and chuckled.
"Not the time, you nightmare. Wait there, I'll be two minutes."

— — — —

Alex was attending a private hospital just outside of our town, meaning we arrived there after a 15 minute drive. Her contractions were a little more regular now, but still nowhere near the pushing stage. I told her to wait in the car and I would go get someone, much to her annoyance as she protested she was fine to walk. The nurses were lovely as I blurted out that my wife was having a baby in our car, having to correct myself and tell them we were nowhere near the point of birth yet. Little did I know, this would be a lot longer than I thought. They smiled sweetly at me, following me to the car park and helping Alex into a wheelchair, wheeling her back across the car park as she cracked jokes to them about her hopes that after three children this one might actually want to be a singer.

They brought us to a private room, kitted out with anything we might need including a TV and a fridge. A midwife came shortly afterwards, asking Alex to change into a hospital gown and examining her.

"Hours to go yet, pet." The midwife smiled.
"Might get a nap if this one doesn't talk my ear off." Alex laughed back.

I called Mum to check on the kids, who were both still sleeping sound, before taking a seat in the chair beside Alex's bed. She reached her hand out for mine, waiting for me to take it and then pulling me into the bed beside her once I had. As the pain started to come more often, I spoke about everything and anything to distract her, her eyes gazing up at me lovingly as she listened to me gabble on, her hands playing with my fingers. Shortly after 2pm, the midwife began preparations for the birth, propping the bed up and moving the table the sat above Alex's lower legs.

"Do we know what we're having?" The midwife asked, clearly trying to distract us.
"No - we haven't found out with any of them." I smiled.
"Best way I think. It has taken quite a long time for full dilation, any complications throughout the pregnancy? Anything feeling different this time, Alex?"
"Nope, all good. Just as sore as I remember." Alex laughed.
"Great. Let's get this little one out of there." She grinned.

The midwife was right, Alex had now been suffering this since 2am, meaning it had taken her 12 hours to become fully dilated. Is that bad? The midwife didn't seem to be worried? Is that her job though, to not seem worried? Stay strong, Leah, Alex needs you to not panic.

Alex began pushing at exactly 2:45pm, instructing me to stay at her head as she had done last time. I placed both hands on her shoulders, kissing her head repeatedly as she followed the instructions of the midwife. Her body weakened with every push, her head falling to the side with exhaustion, this was so much worse than last time. I brought my right hand to her hair, gently stroking it as her right hand found her left shoulder and squeezed my hand.

"Fuck sake. Why is this not working?" Alex cried out.
"You're doing amazing, Al. Amazing." I told her.
"Nearly there, nearly there." The midwife smiled, but her face was telling me otherwise.

What felt like forever passed before the midwife let out a stern instruction. Stop pushing pet.

"What why? What's wrong? Leah? Leah, what's wrong?" Alex panicked but I wrapped my arms around her.
"Don't panic, babe. I'm here, I'm right here."
"Leah's right darling, don't panic. Listen, we have a little bit of a problem here. Nothing to worry about but I need to bring in some help, okay?" The midwife rubbed her hand along Alex's lower leg to reassure her.

I felt tears coming but choked them back, not wanting to show that I was worried in front of Alex. The midwife stood quickly, her pace fast as she walked to the top of the bed and pulled out a button on the wall that flashed a small light on and off. Within seconds the room had filled with extra bodies, Alex's grip on my hand tightening as she dug the back of her head into the bed in pain.

"I'm right here, babe. I'm right here, okay?" I reassured her again, tears now freely falling from my face.
"Don't leave me, Le. Please. I'm really scared." She cried, breaking my heart.
"I'm never leaving you, silly."

Shoulder dystocia. That's what they kept repeating. Why didn't I read more birthing books? What the fuck is that?

They moved Alex about, I know it was to help her but it was horrible to see them throw her around like a rag doll when she was in pain. With every change in position, she searched for my hand the second they let go of her, letting out large breaths every time she felt my touch. Finally, after several more minutes, a large cry erupted through the room as Alex's body flopped back onto the bed.

"Well that's a stronger cry than I thought we would hear, your little man scared us!" The midwife almost cheered.
"A baby boy?" Alex whimpered.
"A baby boy, my baby." I kissed her forehead.
"Is he okay?" Alex asked, trying to search around the room for him.
"See for yourself." The midwife smiled as she placed him on Alex's bare skin.
"Hello my little man." Alex smiled, tears filling her eyes as she gazed at him.
"I'm so in love with you already." I whispered, one arm still tightly wrapped around Alex's shoulder and one on the back of my newborn son.

The midwife explained that due to a complicated birth, our son would be taken to the neonatal unit to be cared for, simply for observation. She explained that they believed he was suffering from a condition called Erb's palsy, caused by shoulder dystocia. It would leave his arm numb and floppy but with the right care, he would make a full recovery. Erb's palsy wasn't something that Alex and I knew anything about, despite attending birthing classes for all three children. He was here, and he would be okay, and that was all that mattered.

— — — —

Once Alex had managed to get some well deserved rest, we eagerly awaited the return of our son as we discussed the fact that we had only prepared names for girls. A doctor came to see us first, explaining that an X-ray and an ultrasound had confirmed that our son had Erb's palsy, but they believed he would make a full recover after the tests.

"Was it something I did wrong?" Alex teared up, my heart shattering as I listened to her words.
"Nothing at all. In fact, your calmness and resilience helped us to deliver him quickly and give him the best care."
"Could he have died?" Alex's voice quivered.
"He could. You should be very proud of yourself, Alex. We will bring him back round to you soon." He responded as he exited the room.
"Fuck." Was all Alex said.
"He's here, and he's okay babe. That's all that matters. I am so fucking proud of you, and so in love with you." I climbed into bed beside her.
"You know how I did it?"
"How baby?" I stroked her hair.
"Every time they moved me, I grabbed your hand and my heartbeat slowed down because I knew I was safe." She said softly.
"I didn't think I could cry anymore." I laughed as tears filled my eyes.

With that the door opened, our beautiful little boy being wheeled through. He was placed into Alex's arms as she used one hand to pull mine underneath his back and placed a kiss on my lips.

— — — —

Leah
He's back in with us now, can you bring our babies up to meet him please?x

Mum
Yes yes yes! I can't wait to cuddle all FIVE of you! X

Leah
I wouldn't be here with them if it wasn't for you, Mum. I hope you know that x

"Mum's going to bring them up now, babe."
"Okay, Le." Alex smiled, her eyes fixated on the perfect little boy that lay beside her bed.
"We really need to name him." I laughed.
"Yeah, about that. I had an idea, but you might absolutely hate it." Alex chuckled.
"What is it?"
"I'm always here if you need a Mum." Alex said.
"What do you mean?"
"That's what your Mum said to me, when I went to her for some help one time."
"Okay?" I asked, a little confused.
"And she always has been. Always. She's been our saviour so many times, our biggest supporter, our therapist, she's helped us surprise each other when we've been apart. Aoife was called after my Mum."
"Yeah and Amanda is her middle name." I smiled, knowing Alex was deep in thought.
"I don't want to call him Amanda, by the way." She laughed.
"Okay good, I was worried there." I giggled back.
"But I do want her to know how important she is, to both of us, can we let her choose?"
"Oh Alex, I would love that."
"Me too, Le." Alex rubbed my hand with her thumb.

In the distance, we could hear the faint noise of Aoife and Theo, both of us laughing at the sound of their repeated questions to my Mum about how much longer they had to walk before they would meet their little brother. Here goes.

— — — — — — — — — —

A/N

Whirlwind of emotions in this one guys, but he's healthy and he's here!

As always, another important issue highlighted in this chapter. I was born with Erb's palsy and couldn't use my left arm until I was almost 4, breaking my mummy's heart. I wanted to highlight that even in the most perfect fairytales, things can change in an instant.

As always, Leah and Alex will ensure that they highlight this condition in the way that it should be being highlighted now!

Now to find out what Aoife and Theo think of their little brother... and what Amanda decides to name him!

Update tomorrow after work on this story as I know you'll all be eager to find out the name. Sleep well!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

220K 4.4K 50
Lioness captain, Leah Williamson, is finally heading off to Ibiza after coming off a Euros win. She's there with some of her closest friends, who enc...
37.4K 917 31
When 22 year old Abi Armstrong moves to England to complete her Masters in sports psychology, she meets a mentor who takes her under his wing and giv...
27K 796 19
Leah Williamson x Fem OC Where a rugby player understands the pressures of being a captain for both club and county, just like a certain blonde Arsen...
15.8K 237 16
"This article would be huge, but I couldn't do that to her.. Could I?" Evelyn Sayers was just a plain journalist. Well, plain in her mind. She couldn...