Last Stop - London

It had been just under a year since I had chosen Leah and I have spent every single day since then grateful for Grace, who without I would never have made the best decision of my life. Leah and I have rediscovered the relationship we had before our separation, taking the time to get to know one and another all over again. Leah had attended as many of my tour shows as she could, flying out sometimes straight after a match.

Tour wasn't planned to last for this long but unfortunately, due to a bout of tonsillitis, we had to postpone some gigs in the middle of the tour and add them to the end, allowing me a few weeks to recover from the intense pain. I had sang through colds, flus and stomach bugs before but the tonsillitis was impossible to carry on throughout.

Tour was due to finish in France but now we were finishing in London's O2 arena. As much as it was never nice to reschedule gigs, this one actually worked in my favour. It meant that we were only around the corner from Leah's house and her family would be able to attend the last gig of the tour without having far to travel.

As usual with a last night of the tour, there was an excited atmosphere around the rooms backstage. It had been a long stretch, longer than we originally planned. The team were looking forward to being reunited with their families, many of them were going to be in the crowds tonight to watch what we do all year round.

My social media manager, as she liked to refer to herself now, Lydia, had told my Instagram followers that I would go live for a Q&A session at 4pm. I didn't even know how to work an Instagram live, let alone how to read the questions but Lydia promised she would have everything I needed ready and would pick the best questions.

I headed for my last rehearsal, adjusting the microphone stand, getting the correct guitar strap placement and getting a feel for the stage. A lot of people tend to think that all stages are the same, maybe different shapes and sizes, but that's the only difference. I used to think this too but once I started experiencing the difference I realised that even silly things like where the speakers were placed could influence your performance if you didn't figure it out during rehearsals.

As rehearsals drew to a close, I could see the stewards and bar staff starting to arrive for their nights work. I thanked them for their efforts, always ensuring they knew I appreciated everyone that contributed to my shows. I checked my watch, 4.05pm. Lydia. I ran to the dressing room, thinking Lydia would be stressing about my lateness, she hated my lack of punctuality. As I approached I could hear her talking, I could do nothing but laugh to myself as I heard her telling followers how hard it is to manage my social media because I'm basically a dinosaur.

"Isn't this meant to be my live thingy?" I shouted in the background as I entered the room.
"Live thingy. Do you guys see what I have to put up with?" She referenced the people who were watching.

I moved into the frame and sat as Lydia moved behind the camera, getting ready to fire questions my way.

"Okay so, these guys have been sending their questions in all day, I've picked out the best ones and I'm going to ask them to you and you give the answers, sound good?" Lydia stated, she would've made a fantastic teacher, for 5 year olds.
"Believe it or not, I'm cool enough to know what Q&A stands for, Lyds." I laughed back.

"Okay question one:
Darcy from Manchester would like to know how do you decide what you wear for your performances?"

"Hi Darcy! I just usually wear what I'm comfortable in. A lot of the outfits I perform in are things I would actually wear from day to day. I like to be myself on stage, I think it's important to let you guys see the real me."

"Question Two:
This one is from Niall, from Belfast, he would like to know what you miss the most about Ireland?"

"Hi Niall! Definitely my family. I find it really hard being away from them for such long periods of time. I'm definitely a home bird."

"Question Three

This one is in from Michael, he would like to know what advice you would give to someone as they enter the public eye?"

"Hi Michael, that's a hard one to summarise. Firstly, remember everything you say, post and do will be analysed. Secondly, ensure you talk to those closest to you, remember that this is a big transition for them as well as yourself. Thirdly, don't be afraid to be who you are. When I first started getting papped I wouldn't leave my house unless I looked my best. It was horrible, I was so tired from the constant acting but now I don't care. I was papped last week with ice cream on my T-shirt, didn't care though because the ice cream was unreal. Lastly, if you're struggling with the impact of a new found fame, it's important you reach out."

"Well said. Question Four, Leah from Milton Keynes would like to know what you plan on doing after your tour?"

I let out a laugh, knowing that this was Leah. It was my Leah. I felt my pupils dilate when I talked about her but I didn't care, the world knew I loved her. They'd always known.

"Hi Le, I plan on spending time with my loved ones. My girlfriend is participating in the Olympics this year so I might attend one or two or her matches if she's lucky."

"Okay so we're running out of time but I had prepared for this. I knew you'd be late. I have made a list of the quick-fire questions we received. You ready?"

I nodded.

Singing or dancing? Singing.
Chips or Potatoes? Potatoes.
Star sign? Aries.
Favourite animal? Dogs. No, seals. But also dogs.
Closest friend? Ellie or Lydia.
Favourite singer? Adele.
Favourite colour? Yellow.
Lunch or dinner? Dinner.
Tea or coffee? Tea.
Favourite alcoholic drink? Wine.
Favourite food? Italian.
Football or rugby? Football.
Lucky number? 2.
Marriage or children? Both.
Best social media manager you've ever had? Don't know, never had a good one.

With that, Lydia smacked my arm and told me we were out of time. I thanked everyone that had joined and headed to make up. As time rapidly moved on, I got a text from Leah. After all this time, I still smiled every time I looked at my phone and saw her name.

L - We're in! Can't wait to watch you perform but even more excited to have you back in my arms. Everyone sends good luck to you x

A - I can't wait to be back with you, I love you and miss you. Thanks everyone!

L - I love you more.

With that, it was time to take to the stage. The crowd were the loudest they had ever been, I couldn't believe that this was my life now. Even now. I performed all of the most popular songs, slipping some new album tracks in between. I had changed my set list slightly from the last time Leah had watched me. I knew she would've realised by now that I had left the song I had written about her out.

"This is our last song guys, we have loved every single minute of this tour. The support, love and encouragement that we receive from you never fails to surprise us. I wish I could pause time so I could reply to each and every one of you but I want you to know that I see you. I hear you. To the people behind the scenes, to the bar staff, the event stewards, the merchandise stall workers... thank you!
You might recognise this next song, I wrote it about a girl I met on a plane once, a girl I knew I would love forever."

With that, the lights changed and it was just me and my guitar. Singing the song to 20,000 people whilst thinking of just one.

My Leah.