Two Worlds

"What if that's not what she wants?" I shouted, throwing my hands into the air.
"What if that's not what she wants!" Leah replied, matching my volume.
"Then I'd be fine with it! It's you, you that just wants her to follow in your footsteps. She doesn't even talk about it!"
"Be fine with it? How many musical instruments is she learning?!"
"The ones she wants to! How many times have you heard her say she wants to join a fucking academy."
"I'm going to get the kids from school. If your attitude hasn't changed by the time I get back then you can -"
"I can what? What can I do?" I waved my hands about.
"You can go." Leah said quietly, looking to the floor.

Our arguments were always feisty, but this one concerning the future of our daughter had really escalated. Aoife had an extreme interest in music, which was hard for Leah to accept. Leah had dreamt of watching our first born walk onto a football pitch, following in her footsteps. She didn't force Aoife, but we both knew that Aoife was only going to the academy to please Leah.

"Go where?" I scoffed.
"Lydia's, Ireland. Anywhere that you aren't ranting and raving." Leah said, turning to put her hand on the door handle.

I followed her, wrapping my arms around her waist from behind and squeezing her tight. Leah turned to face me, looking directly into my eyes.

"Without you? No way." I said softly.
"You better not." Leah replied before kissing me.
"Can we please just give her the chance? How does she know she doesn't like it if she doesn't go?"
"Yes. I'm sorry. For shouting. I'm an idiot, a complete idiot." I giggled.
"My idiot." Leah said as she kissed me again, leaving one last peck on my cheek before she headed to collect the kids.

I began to cook dinner, my mind wandering as I peeled and chopped the ingredients. Leah was right, as usual, how would Aoife know that she didn't like football if she didn't try it? My worry was that she would be torn. I think that's why I had been so okay with her showing a passion towards just one of her parents career paths. I didn't want her to ever feel like she had to pick between making me proud and making Leah proud, we would be proud of her no matter what.

I understood Leah's thought process the more I allowed myself to think it through. Leah had been brought so much join by her football career, she had some of the best experiences, she wanted Aoife to have those too.

I had just finished in the kitchen when the front door bust open, Aoife and Theo running towards me with their arms out. This was my favourite part of the day, always was. There was something about seeing Leah come through the door with our two children that made me feel complete.

We sat around the table, completing the kids homework and then they were allowed an hour of technology, a rule that was only ever broken during school holidays and weekends.

"Le?"
"Yes, Al?" Leah said as she kissed my cheek.
"I was thinking maybe we should talk to Aoife?"
"What about?"
"Just to let her know that if at any point she doesn't enjoy the activities anymore, she can stop them. The music, football. Whatever she chooses."
"Sounds good." She wrapped her arms around me.
"I'm still sorry, for earlier." I mumbled.
"I'm sorry too. If she doesn't like it then she doesn't like it. I just want to give her every opportunity. The same things we had."
"I know. I just never want her to have to choose."
"Everyone has to choose. It's the reason behind the choice that's important. She'll learn that." Leah spoke softly.
"I still love you just as much as I did back then." I smiled to her.
"Me too, Al. Me too."

It was true. Leah and I had never lost our love, we had never let it diminish, or let our relationship lose it's spark. We got through everything, just as we promised in our vows, together.

Theo went to bed slightly before Aoife, much to his disappointment. Leah and I sat either side of Aoife on the sofa, both wrapping her into a cuddle as she giggled.

"Aoifs, we need to talk to you." Leah began.
"Okay?" Aoife said, gazing between Leah and I.
"You know this academy thing? For football?" Leah continued.
"Mhmm." Aoife nodded.
"You don't have to go." Leah said, I could tell by her voice that she was disappointed.
"What mummy means is that if you go and you don't like it. You know you can tell us? Just like if you have an instrument that you don't like, you can tell us that too?" I followed.
"I will." Aoife smiled at us.
"We love you, both of us. We will love you even if you don't like music, or football." I smiled, feeling Leah's arm snake around my shoulder.
"I love you too. I want to go." Aoife said.
"What about the instruments?" I said.
"I don't really like the guitar, it kinda hurts my fingers." Aoife said, looking down at her lap.
"No more guitar then!" I smiled.
"Really? You love guitar." Aoife said quietly.
"I do. That doesn't mean you have to. Your mummy loves football, I love music. We both love each other. I'll let them know you won't be back. Thank you, for telling us you don't like it." I smiled.
"Is that okay with you mummy?" Aoife turned to Leah.
"Anything that makes you happy is okay with me, Aoifs. Always." Leah kissed her head.

The three of us lay on the sofa together and watched an episode of Aoife's favourite show, letting her stay up a little later than she usually did. She went to bed when it finished, Leah and I heading to bed ourselves.

As I brushed my teeth in the en-suite, Leah rested her head on my shoulder. She turned her head to place soft kisses on my neck. She knew what she was doing, smirking at me in the mirror as she felt my breathing change. I finished brushing my teeth, turning to face Leah as she placed soft kisses across my jaw, finally reaching my mouth.

Leah lifted me into her arms, wrapping my legs around her waist and walking me to our bed. She pulled the covers over us as she began to remove my clothes, her kisses getting deeper with every item of clothing.

"Did you hear something?" Leah whispered, unable to stop kissing my skin.
"No, stop delaying you tease." I rolled my eyes.
"Okay, good."

Leah began to move her kisses to my chest, her fingers in my hair. We were jolted by the sound of little feet, the door flinging open.

"Em, I have a question." Aoife spoke.
"Course, what is it?" Leah said, trying to slide off me without making a sudden movement.
"What if I don't like football or music?" Aoife asked.
"Well then we'll keep letting you try things until you find something you like." I smiled at her.
"Okay. Thanks." Aoife said, her face calming.
"Do you want me to put you back to bed?" Leah asked.
"Yes please."
"Do not get dressed." Leah whispered as she hurried off the bed to tuck Aoife in.

After a few minutes, Leah returned. She rolled her eyes playfully as she got back into bed.

"The joys of parenthood." I laughed.
"Thank god we had only started." Leah joked.

— — — —

As we collapsed into each other's arms, Leah brushed her fingers through my hair and rested her head on my shoulder, the smile on her face made my heart explode.

"Do you ever think about another?" Leah whispered.
"Another?" I asked, confused.
"Baby." Leah mumbled.
"Sometimes. Do you?" I asked, kissing her forehead.
"Recently, a lot." Leah smiled.
"I didn't think you'd want anymore."
"I didn't think you would."
"Your mum will kill us." I laughed.
"She loves the babysitting, deep down." She giggled back.

Leah and I spoke some more about expanding our family, eventually agreeing that we would make an appointment at the clinic in the coming weeks. She cuddled into my chest, falling asleep almost instantly.

The following day we would take Aoife to her first proper football session. Both of us just wanting the best for our little girl.