A Storm Is Brewing

By storiesbym3223

Sophie Kelly is a 26 year old solicitor living in the countryside to avoid the hustle and bustle of city life... More

Court Adjourned
Kelly Christmas Eve
Last Minute Gifts
Are We Flirting?
Not Just You
Special Delivery
Spontaneity
Initial Surprises
Developing Pt.1
Developing Pt.2
Falling in Love?
Effort
Three Words
The Question
Six Months
The Offer
Brotherly Love?
The Move
Take a Chance
Two Sides
London Girl
New Year's Party
The Aftermath
Missing
Public Shaming
No Going Back
Backlash
Rhys
Leah
Impressing Mum
Healing (Anxiety TW)
Marry My Sister, Now?
Settling
Two Loves
Belfast Needs You
Persuasion
First Client
Agitated
Unconditional Love
Love(d)
Insignificant
Open Day
Liv's Play
I Can Only Be Me
Future Plans
Nightmare
Folic Acid
15 Minutes Early
Lights Out
Lights On
Two Choices
Manchester
The Interview
The Beginning
Christmas Eve
Christmas Day
Like It Just Being Us
Apart
Friends
The Texting
The First (Kind Of) Date
The First Night (Kinda)
The Firm
Reflection
Fight Before the Visit
Liv's Visit
Don't Forget Me
Making It Work
Stronger Together
Her Truth
Bargaining
Wait, Please
Sickness
The Choice
Family
See You Soon
Just Us
End of an Era
Feel Safe
Emergency
Embarrassment
It's Not What You Think
Standing Up
Escaping
The Argument
There She Is
More Than Family
Pay Close Attention
Just Trust Me
Unknown Identity
Stolen Chances
Bridezilla
Second Place Love
The Appointment
The Return
Crisis Talks
New Year's Eve, Eve
A Glimpse at the Phones
31st December | Part 1
31st December | Part 2
31st December | Part 3
I've Ruined It
Keeping a Secret
Time Slows Down
A Different Angle
Learning Curve
Timeline
Insider
Stay the Night
Night at Home
Festivities
Book Deal?
True Expression
She'll Talk When She's Ready
In A State
Time to Leave
Outsider
Imposter Syndrome
Returning
My First Favourite: Part 1
Law Awards Pt.1
Law Awards Part. 2
Law Awards Part. 3
Perfect?
Mummy's Drunk
Temptation
Court Resumed
Guilty
Questioning
Protecting
Ice Cream
Past, Present and Future
Running
Mum's
Not An Update
Tide Is Turning
Passing Time
800 Days Later
800 Days Later: Leah's Version
The Party
Speculation
Rocky Road to Divorce
Suspicion
Midnight Visit
Evidence Room
Cunning Plan
Back as a Four
The One Before the Last One
As Promised
Court Dismissed

Jade

8.1K 156 31
By storiesbym3223

Client confidentiality is a relationship of trust between the client and the representative. It was kind of like wedding vows; you made the promise before you knew what was to come in the hope that it paved the way for complete honesty.

The sun split the trees as I made my happy commute to work, my mind mulling over the ideas that I had for the new marketing campaign. Business was booming, but after our recent award, we attracted more corporate clients and less of the general public. It was expected; people thought that our prices would be too high for them before they even asked, likely because we were used by so many multimillionaires. Putting prices up was never something that crossed my mind. If someone needs justice, who am I to charge them double to obtain it?

The beginning of the morning had been slow, so by 11 a.m. I was glad to see a name I recognised in the diary, Jade Hull. Jade was someone that I had met a few times through Leah, an England star with a slightly different story than the rest. She had aspired to become a footballer from a young age, but after her sister's stretch in prison, she decided to give up on her dream to support her family. She was so inspired by the Euros win that she began to play again, working her way up through the ranks quickly due to her undeniable gift. Of course, to the press, Jade had simply decided to give up on her dream, reigniting it after the victory; no one had to know the real reason. It wasn't uncommon for me to see sports stars; often they would decide to make a will to ensure that their money would be managed in the event of their death.

Jade was a year older than me, and her large brown eyes were the first thing that anyone commented on when they met her. She really did light up any room that she went into, and her hearty giggle echoed around the restaurants and bars that we had met in. She and I had quite a lot in common; we both studied the same subjects for A Level, and we both had a keen interest in Irish folk music, always discussing new artists that we had found. So when Jade walked into the office that day, I saw it as nothing more than an acquaintance needing some help. Jade didn't waste much time with smalltalk, opting to blurt out exactly what was going on before I had a chance to even ask how she was.

"The press has been contacting my friends, family, and anyone they can get their hands on to find out about my sister's time in prison." She told me.
"Would it be such a bad thing to stop hiding from the truth?" I asked.
"I can't. She can't. My mum certainly can't. We have worked so hard to build our family back together; please, you have to help me."

In terms of legal rights, Jade had very few. Newspapers were in a league of their own when it came to the law. The revenue they would get for sales and clicks would outweigh any amount that Jade could claim. Her sister's time in prison was protected due to her age at the time of the offence, but it wasn't something that we could necessarily hide if someone did give out the information. I, however, had spent a lot of time getting to know people who worked for the London press. Building a relationship with the media was our first lesson at law school. They will be your biggest enemy or biggest hero, they would tell us.

"Look, leave it with me, Jade. I will try to sort something out. For now, smile and breathe. Ensure you don't upset anyone who knows anything about your sister." I told her.
"One article is all it will take for me to lose my place on the team, Sophie." She cried.
"Let's ensure no one outside this room ever finds out that they're onto it, okay?"
"What about Leah?"
"Leah and I don't discuss my cases because of client confidentiality."

Jade was eternally grateful for my support, but even more grateful for my promise to be on the other end of my work phone at all times. I had often done this with clients, especially those of media interest. One night at dinner, one drunken word spoken to the wrong person in a club, or one thoughtless interview could scupper their case; it was important they could always reach me for advice. That was the worst-case scenario, of course; rarely did they ever actually need my help out of hours. As Jade left, I got to work organising meetings with local press outlets, being careful not to speak to them in too much detail about Jade's worries for fear they didn't actually know anything and were just hungry for a story on a woman who seemed to become a success overnight.

— — — —

Over the next few weeks, the only contact that Jade and I had was the odd message with the name of a friend or family member that the press had attempted to make contact with. I would meet with them, or give them a call, to discuss the exact wording used and provide them with a template to send back, one that stated they had the right to report the firm for harassment should further contact be made. These messages would come at all hours of the day and night, some during working hours and some in the evening, even one at 6 a.m.

After four weeks of relentless back and forth with my contacts in the media, I had managed to stall them significantly, hoping they would eventually get bored of my blocks or that something else would grab their attention. Leah had a friendly for England, and I attended the match alongside her family before going to meet her and her teammates at a local private venue they had booked for a celebration. As always, Leah and I spent our night mingling with others, firmly attached at the hip with her arm proudly wrapped around my shoulder at every opportunity. That was until I noticed Jade seemingly having a heated conversation on the phone. Her eyes told a story that her mouth couldn't, and as her representative, I felt obliged to ensure she was okay, aware that the paparazzi lay waiting outside and that it was almost time for us to begin to leave. I kissed Leah's cheek, excusing myself to go to the toilet. Once I had chatted to myself in the mirror about the need to remember every word of this conversation tomorrow, I headed back to the crowded room and took a seat beside Jade in the corner.

Jade explained that her friends were slowly pulling away one by one as they were tired of the constant messages, emails, and physical visits of the press. I could see that she was crumbling, that she no longer had the energy to keep face in a world that required her to do that so often on the pitch. Right now, though, she mostly just needs a friend.

"We can't do anything about it tonight, why don't you come in tomorrow? Better still, have you tried that new bistro beside our office? Will we meet there for lunch?" I asked, recognising that she spends her life right now between a football pitch and my office.
"Sounds good to me, I really can't thank you enough for all of this, Sophie." She sighed.
"Hey, look at me." I bent my neck to find her eyes, making her laugh.
"Mhmm?" She rolled her eyes.
"That's my job, but I'm also your friend." I smiled.
"Thank you, Sophie. I am really glad that you and Leah found each other. I can see why you work so well together; you are both completely selfless."
"Indeed she is, she's the best thing that ever happened to me."
"And you for her, from what I hear."

Jade thanked me a few more times before we hugged it out and returned to the dance floor. I found the arms of Leah once more, as she pecked my lips and told me she loved me.

— — — —

Jade and I met for lunch the following day as planned, and we discussed the idea that we could put this to bed for now and risk it coming up again in the future, or she could face it head-on. She could do her own interview about the life that she had given up on to ensure the stability of her family and exactly why she had to make that choice. She didn't decide right away, instead agreeing to think about it and discuss it with the rest of her family. It wasn't an easy job convincing Jade that this was the right plan of action; we spent many of my lunch breaks in my car at the drive-through coffee shop for fear of being overheard. Jade would agree and then, within five minutes, change her mind again.

The day that ignited the spark that was sure to blow at some point was during Amanda's game night. Leah and I had travelled there in the same car, both tired and cranky after a long week but determined not to let Amanda down. On reflection, the tiredness that we were both experiencing was probably a large factor in just how quickly things would escalate. Around two hours into the night, my phone vibrated on the table in front of me; a text came through, followed by two further messages.

Jade
Hi Sophie, it's Jade. I hope you don't mind me messaging on your personal phone, but I couldn't reach you on your work phone.

Jade
I should've said what I was looking for. I think I want to take the interview option for real this time. I just really need someone to talk to before I change my mind.

Jade
If you aren't free, don't worry, I don't want to be a burden.

I wondered what Leah would tell me to do, if it weren't for client confidentiality. I knew she would be telling me to go, but I couldn't tell her where I was going or with whom. Deep down, though, I knew she would be more angry at me for allowing someone to be in that state and not trying to help them, especially one of her teammates. I sent a quick reply to Jade.

Sophie
Hi Jade, it's no problem at all. Give me a few minutes, and I'll call you.

I locked my phone, stuffing it into my pocket, and gave Leah apologetic eyes.

"I've got to go, babe, work." I said softly.
"On a Friday? At this time?" Leah said, checking her watch.
"You know how it is. I'm sorry. Can I take the car? I'll come back for you."
"Yeah, course." She smiled.

I apologised to the rest of the table, all of whom shot sympathetic looks in my direction about the need for me to work 4 hours after I had finished for the weekend. I gave Leah a quick kiss before hurrying my way to the front door, stopping as I heard someone enter the hall behind me.

"Soph?" Leah said quietly.
"Yeah, Le?"
"You're not bored, are you?"
"What? No! I was winning!" I grinned, expecting her to laugh.
"I mean with me, of us?" She whispered.

My phone bleeped again. I knew I had such a narrow window before Jade would change her mind again, I really had to go.

"Of course I'm not bored, Le. Lack of sleep is getting to you." I giggled, walking with speed towards her and kissing her gently before running out the front door.
"Drive carefully." Leah smiled.
"See you in a bit."

I checked my messages once I had gotten into the car, and as expected, Jade had once again retracted her earlier statement.

Jade
Scrap that. I can't do it.

— — — —

Two hours after I had initially met Jade, we finally booked a day for her to prepare her interview questions and answers. It had been a long road, but finally I had managed to convince her that she would never truly be at ease until the truth was out. I dropped her off at home, my mind replaying that conversation with Leah all over again. Why on earth would she think I'm bored of us?

I called her phone a few times, but there was no answer. That wasn't unlike Leah, to be honest. She rarely had her phone anywhere near her, unless she was at camp and we had organised FaceTime slots. I dialled Amanda's number instead, and the phone picked up after a few rings.

"Hi Sophie, are you all okay?"
"Yeah, just trying to get in touch with Le."
"She's gone home, Sophie. I thought she would've texted you." She was confused.
"Oh, maybe I've missed it. I'll go on home then." I tried to sound believable.

She hadn't texted, though, and I knew it. I drove home confused. This wasn't the first time I'd had to meet a client outside of business hours, so why was it the first time Leah seemed to be acting weird about it? My confusion only grew as I returned home to find Leah in the spare room, a hoodie on with the hood pulled over her head, and the room in darkness.

I got ready for bed, too exhausted to deal with this tonight, but when I awoke the following morning, Leah was no longer home.

Sophie
Where are you? Why did you sleep in the spare room last night?

Leah
Gone for a walk. Be home later

Sophie
I asked two questions.

Leah
See you in a bit

Sophie
Fine.

Leah eventually arrived home after a few hours, letting the front door bang closed behind her. I sat up on the sofa, piercing through her with my eyes as she entered the living room, taking a seat beside me but leaving a distance between us, something I was not used to.

"Leah, what is wrong?"
"Where were you last night, Sophie?"
"You know where I was!"
"Tell me again, then."
"With. A. Client."
"What client?"
"You know I can't discuss that, Leah."
"In the office?"
"No."
"In the car?"
"Yeah."
"Nice." She snapped.
"What does that mean?"

Leah's posture changed, and I could see the anger beginning to rise inside her. She had always been the jealous type, but never over clients.

"You know, I've always been like this. Pathetic. Thinking that people are different when they aren't." Leah blurted out.
"What - me?"
"Yeah. And Jade."
"Huh - what? Jade?" I asked, confused but sounding completely unbelievable.
"Ha. You thought I didn't know? Didn't know that you left games night with my family and your fiancé to go have a midnight chat with my supposed friend?"
"Leah - it's not like that." I argued.
"26 times." Leah spat.
"26 times what?" What is she talking about?
"That's how many times she's been in your diary over the last few weeks. It always seems to fall around your lunch break or the nights you're home late. What was it? Did she threaten to tell me last night, so you had to go and please her in the car you thought you would drive me home in after?"
"Jesus Christ! You think I'm sleeping with her?" My eyes widened.

Leah didn't answer, she didn't need to. She just stared at the floor for a few minutes before rising to her feet.

"Yeah. I do. I think you used the business that my mum helped you set up to find yourself someone who excites you. I just wish you'd had the decency to tell me." She sighed.
"Leah -" I tried to follow her.
"No, Soph. No. Just stay away from me."
"Leah, you've got this all wrong!" I shouted.
"And yet you still can't tell me what's right, can you?"
"You know I can't. You know I can't discuss that."
"Thanks, Sophie." She slid her engagement ring off her finger and placed it on the coffee table.

I didn't protest; how could I? I can't tell her anything about Jade; I shouldn't even have confirmed she was a client. Jade needs to do this interview fast. How did Leah even find out? I sat back down on the sofa as my eyes filled with tears. I thought Leah understood my commitment to confidentiality, I thought she trusted me, and I thought we were getting married because she knew me and therefore knew I would never hurt her like that. Maybe none of that was right.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

24.8K 419 25
Y/n and Leah Williamson get assigned the same room during the euros, will the Captain and her new roomie get along? Y/n is a 22 year old girl from a...
201K 2.3K 30
Story about Leah Williamson and Y/n (your name) (Y/n is a football player)
6.5K 277 7
incomplete, won't update lucy wilson meets leah williamson through a family friend. watch what happens as they are stuck together to wait out a thund...
24.8K 749 19
Leah Williamson x Fem OC Where a rugby player understands the pressures of being a captain for both club and county, just like a certain blonde Arsen...