She'll Talk When She's Ready

"So yeah, that was really hard. It does start to feel better some days, and then other days, it can be back to square one." I poured my heart out.
"And you, Leah?"
"Yeah - the same." Leah nodded.
"Describe to me in three words how you felt when you watched them try to save his life."
"Hopeless, broken, and angry."
"Leah?"
"Yeah - the same."
"And now, Leah?"
"I feel fine."
"Can you elaborate?"
"This has been a mistake. I'm sorry. Thank you. You've really helped."

Leah rushed from the room, disappearing before I could even make it out the door. I knew I'd find her either in a state or acting fine, both of which were fine with me. She has to know it's okay to talk when she's ready.

"Hey you." I smiled as I got into the car.
"I was thinking maybe we could get takeaway tonight? I don't fancy cooking at this time."

Her tone was cheerful; she wanted to forget it.

"I could murder a pizza, to be fair." I nodded.
"My treat." Leah smiled, placing her hand on my leg as she began driving.

On the drive home, it became obvious that Leah wanted to talk about everything but the appointment. I understood that; I knew she would talk when she was ready, and to push would only cause her more trauma than the level we were already dealing with.

"I was thinking we should go on holiday once the health visitor gives us the go-ahead. Maybe somewhere mild? Even in England? Or we could go to Ireland, actually? See your family for a bit? If you want, obviously, we don't have to."
"That sounds good to me, Le. I haven't seen them for a while."
"Good. That's good. Yeah." Leah nodded, her leg bouncing up and down as she drove.
"I love you." I smiled, placing my hand on her thigh to stop the movement.
"Yeah? Still?"
"Always. Forever, and ever, and ever!" I chuckled.
"I love you, Soph." Leah chuckled, relaxing into her seat for the first time.

We pulled up to Amanda's, Leah's smile seeming a little more real now, even if the underlying problem was still technically there. The second we were through the door, we cooed over Teddy for a while before Leah announced that we weren't staying long. I knew why; she hated lying to her mum and to be honest, she was rubbish at it. Just as we made it to the front door, Amanda held Leah back a little, trying to talk low to make her feel more safe.

"How was it?" Amanda asked, bringing Leah into her arms.
"Amazing." Leah beamed.
"Feeling better then?"
"So much better. I don't even feel like I need to go again."
"Wow, that's brilliant." Amanda said, not believing a word of it and giving me the eyes.

She was certain to call me about this tomorrow.

I smiled at Leah on the way to the car, letting her know that I wasn't planning on saying anything about the lie she had told her Mum. She'll talk when she's ready.

"He's exhausted." I chuckled as we entered our own home.
"I know, Mum doesn't let him sleep in case we shout at her if he doesn't sleep that night."
"What're you looking for?" I raised an eyebrow.
"The menu for the pizza place."
"Drawer in the hallway."
"What would I do without you?"
"Exactly." I chuckled.
"I don't ever want to find that out, Soph. I really don't want to ever have to find that out."

That sounded like more than a joke response.

"Hey?"
"Mhmm?" She mumbled, her eyes peering over the top of the menu.
"We've got forever to work this out, yeah?"
"Yeah. I hope so." She half-smiled.

I decided to drop the topic there, not wanting to force her when it was so obvious she wasn't ready. She'll talk when she's ready.

Leah placed the order over the phone, rummaging around the house to make sure she had cash, despite knowing that she did.