Family

Leah had been gone just short of an hour. I patiently watched the clock as I waited for her return, flicking between the channels for something to distract me. Settling for a documentary about the current state of the climate, I moved my eyes between the television and the window, hoping to see Leah's car lights shining through at some point.

Before I met Leah, I hated surprises. I hated the idea that someone had control over something that I knew nothing about; it was a telling sign that I had a lot of growing to do, and meeting Leah seemed to be the thing that allowed me to have that growth. Nowadays, I allowed myself to be excited by the idea of a surprise, grateful that I meant enough to someone to surprise me, and comfortable enough with the safety that Leah provided to not worry about the outcome.

There she was. The car lights that I had waited for finally shone through the window, warming my heart as I thought of her just footsteps away from me. I sat patiently as I listened to her key turn in the front door, the gentle closing of it behind her, and her gentle chuckling getting closer.

"Eyes closed, please."
"They're shut." I smiled, pressing my eyes together.

I felt Leah's presence beside me; a kiss was placed gently on my cheek.

"Hold out your hands; put them together." She instructed.

I held my hands out like Leah had asked, unsure what this could possibly be. My favourite food? Some kind of console? New jewellery? The soft material of a cushion, blanket, or item of clothing was placed on my hands. It was heavy in weight—something so small but still relatively big.

"Open." She said softly.

I opened my eyes to a sight that immediately filled them with happy tears. A soundly sleeping chocolate brown Labrador with little floppy ears and the softest of fur. I pushed my bottom lip out, bringing the small puppy towards my face and cuddling it into my neck, feeling its tongue give me a gentle lick on the side of my cheek.

"Le." I breathed out, completely in love with the surprise.
"He doesn't have a name yet." She cocked her head to the side, smiling at me adoringly.
"He's perfect. You're perfect. This is the best surprise ever."
"I thought that if you do take the opportunity—which is completely up to you—it might settle your mind to know that I'm not here alone; I'll have a little Buddy here with me."
"Buddy." I smiled.
"Buddy." Leah repeated.
"You are just adorable, Buddy."

— — — —

It was now day 9 of the 14 days that I had been given to decide if this opportunity was right for me. Amanda had told me under no uncertain circumstances that I was to do what felt right for me, and whatever I decided, she trusted that it would be the right decision. Our new addition had settled in well and could often be found sleeping on top of either mine or Leah's legs on the sofa.

Stepping out of the courtroom and into the dining area, I reached into my bag to find my phone, turning it back on.

Leah
Hey Soph, I'm just letting you know I've had to come home from training. I'm okay, just the usual x

Leah
Soph, sorry, I know your phone is off, so this will probably come through when you turn it on, but please, can you bring some painkillers home?x

Leah
And maybe some kind of heat pad or something like that :( x

Leah
I miss you x

Leah
Oh, and I love you x

I sighed as I realised this was clearly another flare-up, a reminder that Leah now had this diagnosis that meant this would be with her for life. Not wanting to discuss her issue surrounded by the nosey people in the dining area, I headed out to the car to give myself some more privacy before calling her.