Hidebound

By Apagewithani

After a close call Hex is back on parole and Poppy couldn't be happier. The Darlings spend their time making... More

Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter TwentyOne
Chapter TwentyTwo
Chapter TwentyThree
Chapter TwentyFour
Chapter TwentyFive
Chapter TwentySix
Chapter TwentySeven
Chapter TwentyEight
Chapter TwentyNine
Chapter Thirty
Chapter ThirtyOne
Chapter ThirtyTwo
Chapter ThirtyThree
Chapter ThirtyFour
Chapter ThirtyFive
Chapter ThirtySix
Chapter ThirtySeven
Chapter ThirtyEight
Chapter ThirtyNine
Chapter Forty
Chapter FortyOne
Chapter FortyTwo
Chapter FortyThree
Chapter FortyFour
Chapter FortyFive
Chapter FortySix
Chapter FortySeven
Chapter FortyEight
Chapter FortyNine
Chapter Fifty
Chapter FiftyOne
Chapter FiftyTwo
Chapter FiftyThree
Chapter FiftyFour
Chapter FiftyFive
Chapter FiftySix
Chapter FiftySeven
Chapter FiftyEight
Chapter FiftyNine
Chapter Sixty
Chapter SixtyOne
Chapter SixtyThree
Chapter SixtyFour
Chapter SixtyFive
Chapter SixtySix
Chapter SixtySeven
Chapter SixtyEight
Chapter SixtyNine
Chapter Seventy
Chapter SeventyOne
Chapter SeventyTwo
Chapter SeventyThree
Chapter SeventyFour
Chapter SeventyFive
Chapter SeventySix
Chapter SeventySeven
Chapter SeventyEight
Chapter SeventyNine
Chapter Eighty
Chapter EightyOne
Chapter EightyTwo
Chapter EightyThree
Chapter EightyFour
Chapter EightyFive
Chapter EightySix
Chapter EightySeven
Chapter EightyEight
Epilogue

Chapter SixtyTwo

1.7K 61 0
By Apagewithani

After double checking that we hadn't missed anything we put Stevie's computer back the way we found it and leave his office, locking the door behind us.

The lunch rush had come in heavy today, making up for the lack of yesterday.

Of course it happens on the day I'm working.

Through the sea of people I had seen Stevie come back from his lunch break. He had clearly seen how busy we were but didn't bother helping and instead went back to his office and watched the chaos from the cameras.

"How're you going darl? Busy in 'ere, huh?" Kevin makes me jump when he stands by the bar. I had been too busy cleaning up from the rush to notice him. It was still busy but no where near as crowded as it was half an hour ago.

"Yeah" I breathlessly chuckle as I talk and work at the same time "I'm alright, how are you Kevin? Everything good?" I ask and hang a glass on the rack for someone to fill.

"Could be better, sweetheart" he sighs and sends the smell of liquor that clings to his breath my way.

"What can I get you?" I ask as he rests his folded hands on the bar top.

He orders his usual and thanks me as he turns and walks to his table while I assemble his drink. He had gone back to drinking the whiskey that he had told me to flush down the sink. We had to order it back in just for him because no one else drinks it.

I had hoped that after Amos died Kevin's drinking would be a one off thing before he was sober again but it hasn't worked out like that.

I'm still holding out hope that he goes back to rehab eventually but I think he just needs more time to grieve beforehand.

I finish making Kevin's drink and round the bar to take it to him.

"Thanks Poppy" he says as I hand it to him and make my way back to the safety of the bar.

Sarah had been helping me out and Harley is in the back refilling everything that had run out during the lunch rush. I hadn't even been able to have my lunch break yet because we had been so busy but the less busy we get the more eager I get as my stomach rumbles.

I have the overwhelming urge to text Hex, just to make sure he's okay and ask if Ace had shown his face at the mechanic shop today but I can't right now.

I hadn't felt anything through our bond, nothing to indicate that anything is wrong or that Hex had had any kind of major mood swings but then again, I hadn't felt it last week either.

"Hey" Sarah places her hand on my shoulder to grab my attention as I look down at her short stature. "I've got this, you can take your break if you want."

I don't waste a second and grab my bag from under the bar, pulling my phone out and checking for any texts from Hex as I walk.

"Poppy, wait!" I'm tugged back behind the bar by Sarah, causing me to nearly trip but she holds me upright until I can gain my footing.

"Wh-"

"There he is! He's come back!" She hisses into my ear. I don't even have to set eyes on him to know who she's talking about. I feel the chill filling the air and the drop in my stomach.

I look up to find him looking at me, his eyes set firmly on me as the front door of Darby's closes behind him.

He holds my eyes as he limps towards Kevin's table. His sling is gone today but he still holds his arm close to his body, the pain very much still present.

Kevin hasn't notice that Ace has entered Darby's as he looks at the table and drinks the beverage I had served him.

Ace looks dishevelled. His hair seems like he hadn't brushed it or at the very least hadn't styled it since he had woken up. But I also wasn't sure if he had slept, his eyes are dark and sunken, the bags underneath weighing his face down. His skin is pale and chapped while his clothes look similar to the ones he had worn last week.

I shudder under Sarah's hand and she releases me.

The sight of Ace had rubbed me the wrong way, especially the way he had looked at me.

"Maybe I'll hold off on taking my break" I mumble to Sarah and put my bag back under the bar but I keep my phone in my pocket, just in case.

My stomach rumbles, I ignore it.

Sarah stays close to me as we work and Harley stays in the back. I hope she stays back there until Ace leaves but as he heads over to the table Kevin sits at I know he's planning on staying for a while.

"Hey man!" Kevin slurs. I look up under my eyelashes and see Kevin shake Ace's hand and pat his back before Ace takes a seat opposite Kevin. I look back down as he turns to face the bar again.

I jump, my nerves on edge as Stevie's office door slams open. He makes a beeline for Ace and I stupidly hope that he has a problem with him and kicks him out but instead sympathy is displayed across his face.

"Ace, I'm sorry to hear about your father" Ace's eyes are blank as he stares up at Stevie from his seat. It makes Stevie uncomfortable and he shuffles on his feet.

"Appreciate it" his voice sends a shiver down my spine at the emotionless tone he uses. He says nothing more and Stevie once again shuffles on his feet.

He looks like an absolute idiot.

"Let me get you a drink, on the house!" Stevie turns and looks at the bar. I put my face down and pray to god that he doesn't call on me.

"Sarah!" I breathe a breath of relief. "Bring Mr. Pollar a drink, quick quick!" I resist the urge to tell him to do it himself but Sarah gets on with it.

"Coming!" She replies sweetly.

Harley is still out the back, every now and then I hear noises from behind the door and I hope it keeps her busy for a long while.

"Are you okay?" Sarah hushes to me, a complete drink in her hand.

"Yeah, thanks" I give her a stiff smile. She still seems worried but heads over to the table Ace and Kevin reside at.

My spine straightens and the hair on the back of my neck stands on end when I hear the door leading out the back click open.

"What the fuck" I hear her fume under her breath.

I turn to look at her over my shoulder. Her eyes are set firmly on Ace and one look at him shows that he hasn't seen her; at least not yet.

"He's hear again?" She turns red in the face and her breathing picks up, her behaviour reminding me of Hex.

"Don't do anything stupid Harley, just ignore him" I mutter as I serve a drink to a customer.

"Ignore him? Poppy, he's shown up too many times now!" She hisses between her teeth. "I'm calling Hex" she pulls out her phone but I grab it before she can dial his number.

"No" I say firmly, she looks taken aback at my seriousness. She doesn't know about the events of last week. Hex had been so enraged when Ace had showed up at the mechanic shop and I can't even begin to imagine the state he would be in when he finds out Ace had shown up at Darby's. "Stevie's here, control yourself."

Harley looks up and for the first time sees Stevie. She rolls her eyes but puts her phone back in her pocket.

"Okay" I jump, not noticing that Sarah had come back to the bar. "What's the deal? Who is that guy?" She asks, her hands on her hips with a stare meant to intimidate but her short height doesn't allow that.

She looks between Harley and I, waiting for one of us to answer her. Harley looks at me for direction. I sigh.

I rub my forehead, deciding its probably best for
Sarah to be aware of our situation.

"There's some family history between the Rose's and the Ace's family" I keep it simple and leave out the history of Hellbound.

She nods slowly, knowing that there's more to the story but not pushing for the details.

"So, he's stalking you" she exclaims.

The word sends a shiver down my spine. Ace and Amos had stalked us before but then it stopped and I had hoped it would never start again but something about the way Sarah had so blatantly said the word had shook me to my core. Like a realisation that we're back here, once again.

"Yeah" I gulp down the lump in my throat "I guess." My voice wobbles and I look away to hide the tears that had developed in the backs of my eyes.

We stand in silence for a minute, they both watch me, waiting for me to crack but I don't and instead suck the tears back in and swallow the lump.

"I'm going to tell him to leave" Sarah turns on her heel before I can stop her and just as quickly she's standing at the table with Kevin and Ace.

Stevie had left the table but hovers nearby, watching and listening closely. Like a creep.

I can't hear the words Sarah speaks but she stands with her hands on her hips and I can tell by the way she holds herself that she speaks confidently and doesn't show intimidation at the sight of Ace's stare. He looks at her the same way he looked at Stevie, blank.

Kevin seems confused, the alcohol he had consumed only adding to it as he struggles to understand what exactly she's saying.

Ace's gaze moves from Sarah to behind her and to me. I turn my back as soon as I meet his stare, I feel his eyes on my back. Harley watches him as I face her, she's not intimidated at all but she's also not the one he's after.

"Sarah!" I pinch my eyes closed at the loudness of Stevie's shout. "What are you doing?" He walks closer, his voice getting louder but I keep my back to them. "Why are you bothering my friend? Get back to work!"

Friend? I can almost laugh at the word. The only reason Stevie knows who Ace is is because of the news coverage of the crash and the fact that he might have seen him on the cameras with Amos the night of the crash. Besides that he had never spoken a word to him until today.

I don't hear Sarah answer him but she's by my side soon after, her head dropped in disappointment.

"Sorry Poppy, I tried" I hear the failure in her voice.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

801K 46.5K 32
When her ex-friend-turned-boyfriend reappears in her life, Anna must put her hurt and resentment aside to help him survive his withdrawal before he r...
427K 8.4K 25
Temptation had always been Lily's hamartia... Just starting her final year of high school, never did she expect to plummet so deep and become so sin...
1.8K 80 8
All Rights Reserved!!! BoyxBoy, Book Three of Prison Bait Series Lloyd knows that very definition of trouble but when someone new enters...
1.4M 41.8K 51
Out of His League is now published by W by Wattpad Books! You can get your hands on the paperback or E-book edition from the following link: https:w...