Rags To Royals (Royal #1: Boo...

By SkWookie

Secret: The most fatal weapon of the mankind. But careful, for it depends on whether you're capable of wieldi... More

Copyright
Aesthetics
A/N
0
Prologue
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
32
33
35
36
37
38
39
40
41
42
43
44
45
46
47
48
49
50
51
52
53
54
55
56
57
58
59
60
61
62
63
64
65
66
67
68
69
70

34

23.8K 2K 492
By SkWookie

-• this weekend •-

Drenched from head to toe and shivering like soaked rats on the side of the road, the four of us are finally allowed to enter the palace. This time, a poker face isn't helping Yuvraaj keep his emotions hidden. He looks undeniably cocky for the state he has reduced us to, as we four, probably the only ones to rebel against him sans Ayush, tremble like a leaf on a dead winter night.

I fish out my card from the pocket and it drips with water. We, the third floor occupants, struggle with opening our doors. I swing my card up and down, trying to dry it since the scanner refuses to accept it.

Agastya groans in frustration and the voice echoes throughout the corridor walls.

I slump against my door, tired of trying to air dry myself. It wasn't happening anytime soon and I was already exhausted from the day's events. It isn't even dusk yet.

To my left, Ayush gives up and sits down as well, flashing me a frazzled, mirthless smile. I smile back, looking at Agastya's direction to see him kneel on the carpet and wipe his hands dry, along with the card before he gets up and successfully opens the door, calling us losers on his way inside.

The three of us waste no time to crawl over the carpet and do the same before rushing back to our doors, succeeding this time.

I sigh in relief and open the door, bidding, "See you for dinner," behind me as I enter the room.

I quickly take a shower and change into something comfortable before drying my hair. My eyes go to the to-do list I've glued above my desk and I read the tasks pending to be completed. Tossing the towel on the ottoman, I grab an energy bar from the drawer and sit on the desk chair, getting down to work immediately.

A few hours later, there's a knock on my door. I wheel my chair closer and pull it open.

Yuvraaj stands at the threshold, a shiny new phone in his hand. I quickly lurch forward to grab it. "Mine!?" I ask excitedly.

"All your previous data is cloned into this, only your phone number is changed. Be careful who you share it with." He explains.

"Yeah, don't worry," I smile up at him, clutching the new iPhone to my chest.

"There are a few security apps in there keeping your phone protected so don't try to uninstall or change their settings. I'll also know where you are 24/7," I frown at that. He adds it so casually if I wasn't paying attention, I would have missed the words. "For security purposes. Don't worry, I won't be stalking your whereabouts every minute of the day. I've added Vivaan's number as the first emergency contact, followed by mine and then Dad's. This will be the last time you'll have to change your phone." He reassures me, referring to my previous two phones. "You should go back to your studies. See you at dinner." And then he leaves just as deftly, closing the door after him like a real gentleman. I let go of my curbed smile, looking down at my phone and wheeling the chair back to the desk side. School work forgotten, I dive into the world of iPhone, mostly struggling to figure out the way it works for the majority of time.

I call Janet, hoping I'm not disturbing her.

"Janet! I got a new phone!"

"Yeah, I realised that when I couldn't reach your old number. Anyway, your latest phone is not a news, tell me did you go through with the plan?" She asks curiously.

I suck in a deep breath. "It's a long story,"

"We've time of the day, baby,"

So I relax back on the chair and detail her about everything that happened from the beginning of my day to reaching the middle of it. By the end of it, my throat runs dry. Whew, it was indeed a long day and it isn't even over yet.

"That's a lot to take in," she murmurs, sounding bewildered.

"That was a lot to go through." I tell her.

"Yeah, I understand." She hums. "But it's good that your brother knows. From what you told me, it seems like he has the upper hand. Don't mind me asking this, but are you sure your family is not into some kind of shady shit?"

"Honestly?" I question rhetorically. "I'm just as clueless as you. Let's hope not but we've existed long enough to know if black privilege exists, it's only for money."

She chuckles. "Ironic, isn't it?"

"Humans," I sigh.

"Biggest hypocrites," she ends the statement for me.

I laugh and we divert the subject, talking about something lighter. She tells me about this college guy she's crushing on lately and how she can't wait to make a move on him but is scared of rejection.

"How old is he?"

"Nineteen or something? He's Elliott's junior but they gel well." She responds.

"Janet, he's nineteen!"

"So?" She scoffs. "I'm sixteen, Tara. It's legal."

"The mystery man is eighteen," I bring up randomly, just out of the blue, not even understanding why I did it.

"So?" She repeats, this time in a rather prodding manner, like she's brimming with curiosity.

"Just telling you," I shrug.

"Tara, you know you have zero chances with him, right? For all we know, he must be a criminal."

I roll my eyes. "Shut up. I'm not even remotely interested in the guy. I like Atharva, remember? I'm just telling you because something of this sort came up in the conversation with him."

"What do you mean?" I hear the shuffling of sheets, meaning she sat straight. That's Janet, sitting straighter when an interesting plot twist happens in the middle of a movie. I don't blame her, my life is nothing less than a movie right now. It's just not a blockbuster per se.

"Nothing!" I deadpan. "He said something and I misinterpreted it."

"What did he say!?" She demands impatiently.

"When I asked him what he dragged me in the room for, he replied because he wanted to have some fun. I grew appalled and told him I'm not a sex worker. He said, might I add very crudely, that he's not interested in little girls and even if I were a grown woman, I'd still not be his type. I told him I'm seventeen to which he said you're sixteen and still a minor as per India's law of age of consent. Then he sort of makes jokes about our age gap. That's it."

"Damn," she laughs. "You two flirted with each other for a solid two hours, huh?"

"I wouldn't call it flirting. He treated me like a kid." I snort. "And he even said I'm not his type." I grumble.

"You sound like you want to be his type so bad," she jest teasingly.

"Ew, no, he was a douche. Nothing the kind I like in men."

"And what kind is your type?"

"I like them gentle," I smile, remembering Atharva's eyes. "Calm and composed, and most importantly, they should respect women."

"And your Atharva is all that?" She jabs.

"That and more!" I defend.

"Alright, alright," she gives up, the sound of the engine in the background quietens us both. "Hey, he's here. Elliott said he'll be bringing the guy around for dinner tonight!" I hear her excitement grow.

"Go and shine. Don't forget to update me!" I warn her.

"Yeah, sure, bye!" She giggles and hangs up. I place the phone on the desk, shaking my head at my friend. Honestly, her entire existence is worthy of the acronym smh. I pick up the pen and go back to my studies.

I stop at six in the evening and hop on the bed to finish my current Netflix series. Just as I settle comfortably with all the pillows and blankets, there's a knock on the door. I groan and lift off the laptop from my lap, dragging myself out of the bed as I reach to open the door.

Yuvaan stands stiffly outside. "Move," he gestures with a side flick of his hand and my feet oblige automatically. He opens the door wider, beckoning someone else to enter the room. Two men bring in a set of canvases, a wooden stand, different painting supplies, including everything, from ranges of brushes to art pallets of different styles and shapes. I watch in awe as the empty side of my room is filled with things I could have never dreamt to afford back in England.

There was even a time when I had to crush charcoal and mix it with a bit of water since I was out of black colour, or use one brush for two years because Mom was short on money.

The two men leave and Yuvaan leans at the door, his arms crossed on his sweatshirt clad chest. "Happy?"

I look up at him bleary eyed. "Thank you," I whisper.

He shrugs, looking slightly awkward with my emotional response. "Let me know if you need anything else," he gets off the door and turns to leave.

"Yuvaan," I rush closer to him.

He faces me again, brows furrowed together. "Yes?"

"See you at the dinner," I mumble.

He stares at me for a few seconds, probably realising it wasn't what I wanted to say but couldn't gear up the courage and settled on the lamest excuse possible. "Yeah, see you at the dinner," he nods, thankfully not calling me out and walking off. I close the door with a smile, shrieking excitedly at the sight of art supplies in my room. Elation lights up the room as I scramble in and unpack everything. I've never seen so many brushes at once. It's like heaven.

I picked one in particular that resembles the one I had for years because we couldn't afford new. It was so worn out, with hard bristles and a faded handle. But it was the best I got back in those days. Mom used to call it my magic wand.

I get up and fix a canvas on the stand, pretending to paint a masterpiece. I haven't painted anything since Mom was diagnosed with the terminal illness. The drive and inspiration was lost somewhere when every waking moment all I could think of was how to cheer up mom, whether I should look for another part time job except for the weekend one I had got at the clothing store and simply rushing about to keep myself busy so I don't spend myself worried sick at the thought of inevitable.

For the next hour, I'm busy properly storing away my art supplies. I leave the canvas stand beside the window, hoping one day I feel inspired to steal the picturesque scenery of the river and mountains and lock it on the canvas.

A maid comes at sharp eight to inform me about the dinner. I put my phone and laptop on charging before grabbing my card key from the desk and exiting the room.

Dad pulls the chair for me when I reach my usual seat. I thank him politely and sit, greeting my elder brothers (except Agastya) and smiling at Ayush.

"Vivaan Bhai," I call out as we start the dinner. He looks up in question. "You and Dad went horse riding today, didn't you?" He nods in response. "Will you be going tomorrow again?"

"Yup,"

"Can I join!?" I ask excitedly.

"No." That's Yuvraaj.

"Why?" I almost whine.

"It's not safe," he shakes his head.

"I'm sure Dad and he will make sure I don't hurt myself. Please, Bhai, I really want to ride a horse," I beg.

"Fine," I grin victoriously, "but you'll not ride alone." My enthusiasm crates.

"What do you mean?"

"Vivaan or Dad will take you on a ride around the property."

"No, I want to try on my own!" I insist.

"I don't remember asking you to choose," his lips thin.

I bite back a retort of my own and push away the plate, crossing my arms on the table as I look away.

"Tara, don't act like a kid." Agastya glares at me. "It's not safe for you to ride a horse. Especially the breeds we have. They need someone experienced to control them. You're all skin and bones."

I roll my eyes. "I'm perfectly healthy."

"Yeah, but not experienced enough to ride a horse." Yuvaan cuts through the argument, surprisingly siding Agastya.

"Who has mastered horse riding in this room?"

Vivaan hesitantly raises his hand.

Aw. I was being sarcastic.

"You tell them," I lean forward, looking straight at him. "For me to have experience, I must learn how to do it, right?" He nods. "Are you not capable of teaching me?" He takes offence at that.

Yup, hit right on the nail with that.

Yuvraaj sighs softly, probably understanding it's going to get tougher from here on.

"I can," Vivaan states firmly.

"Taranya, don't be stubborn." Yuvraaj looks at me disappointedly.

"You don't trust him to keep me safe?" I look between my eldest brothers innocently.

"You don't think I can protect her?" Vivaan argues, his eyes narrowed down.

"When did I say that?" Yuvraaj questions in disbelief.

"Then why aren't you allowing me to learn horse riding under his guidance?" I counter.

"Yeah, I'm waiting to hear your reasons," Vivaan leans in, ready to take on a fight if challenged.

A staredown ensues between the eldest brothers and unlike before, Vivaan doesn't look like he's looking forward to back down this time. Eventually, Yuvraaj gives up and agrees with a nod.

I stop myself from punching the air. Curbing the smirk, I resume my dinner happily, ignoring the disappointed glances thrown at me from the rest except for Dad and Vivaan.

After dinner, Agastya catches up with me and Ayush, a feeble attempt to talk some sense into me as he puts it. I make it clear I'm not changing my decision. I want to learn horse riding and I'm not giving up without trying.

So the next morning after breakfast, I'm being gently mounted on the horse before Vivaan climbs up behind me. His arms cage me snug as he reaches to hold the reins and gently taps on the side of the horse with his right foot. I gasp when Mafia starts to trod around the field. My wide eyes move to where my brothers sat under the shade, all to keep an eye on me because they've nothing better to do. I wave at them. Only Ayush and Dad wave back, the others hold onto their bitterness from last night.

Soon enough, Mafia picks up the pace and I get a special tour of the entire Chauhan property. During the ride, Vivaan teaches me the dos and donts of the horse riding, and briefs me about the rules and instructions. When the short lecture ends, I get busy looking around, pointing out different things that baffle me with its beauty or absurdity, and Vivaan nods at each with a smile. Sometime later, we reached the west side of the palace that's open to the public as a hotel, museum and restaurant.

"The women there are giving you looks," I nudge his chest.

He glances to where my gaze is and the women in the garden immediately turn their heads away. I giggle.

"Got any girlfriend, big brother?"

"Nah," he answers.

"Never had one?"

"When I was doing my internship. But we didn't last long. She cheated on me."

I gasp. "Excuse me? Someone had the audacity to cheat on you?"

He chuckles. "Yeah,"

"She's stupid. Did she not see these women? They are all dying for one glance from you." I point at all the female attention he was getting.

He laughs, a very pure, genuine and jolly laugh. I stretch my neck to look at him, warmth hugging me close as I see the bright rays bounce off his shining amber eyes. His smile is enough to replace the fucking sun in the sky.

Sometimes I wonder if he looks more like their mother, because except for his jaw, he doesn't resemble dad at all. If he does, their mother was one heck of a beautiful lady.

"Who do you look like more?"

His smile fades and I feel my heart clench.

"Sorry, I shouldn't have asked that." I look back in front.

"It's okay. I look like my mother."

"I thought you did." I murmur. "Do you- Do you miss her?" I ask softly. Because I miss my mother every day, every moment.

"No," he answers coldly. "Let's not talk about her, please."

I nod in agreement.

We return to the field where I see Agastya keeping an eye on us through binoculars.

"Damn, he's dedicated." I shake my head.

"Who knew among everyone else he'll be most protective of you," Vivaan chortles, his voice back to normal.

"Tell me," I snort. "It's borderline suffocating." Vivaan brings Mafia to halt in the centre of the field and then helps me descend the horse. We decide to take a break before I can ride the horse independently.

"How was it? Boring, right?" Agastya asks me. "I told you. Let's go now. The day is beginning to get hotter."

"No, it was fun." I state. "We're just taking a little break before I try on my own."

"Bhai, she's going to break a hip or two." Yuvaan walks up to us.

"And then she's going to regret it." Agastya adds.

Yuvraaj looks at me, the disapproval clear as day on his face.

I ignore them all and sit beside Dad. "Why do I have no sister?" I whine in a small voice.

He chuckles. "I'm already infamous for having two wives and seven children, let's not add more to it."

I roll my eyes. "They're just jealous you've it in you." I pat his arm.

He hollers aloud, catching eyes of my brothers.

After thirty minutes of chilling around, Vivaan guides me back to the field. This time the stable caretaker brings out a white mare. If I remember correctly, her name's Queen.

"Queen, is it?"

Vivaan looks at me impressed. "Yup. The most docile of all." He caresses her neck softly. She leans into his touch almost immediately, closing her eyes and basking in the affection.

I wear the safety pads and put on the helmet before he helps me mount Queen. He instructs me to grip the reins, not too tightly so I don't alarm her. I take a deep breath and pick up the reins, following his words carefully and soon Queen starts to trod around. When I become confident, I finally look up, my eyes darting from Vivaan to the rest of my family. I find my brothers except one standing under the shed, watching me keenly. Yuvraaj keeps glancing at me over his laptop screen, barely focusing on his work. Dad is the only one relaxing on the chair, drinking a beer, chilled out and all.

I chuckle. Typical Dad thing to do.

I explore the whole field with Queen and she behaves like an absolute darling, not reacting violently when I make a mistake, but warning me through her grunts if I accidentally handle her roughly.

"It was so fun!" I declare entering the shed. "Bhai, it was so so amazing! Thank you so much!" I turn to face Vivaan who smiles fondly at me.

For the first time, we had lunch together, barbeque style. Yuvraaj handles the veggies while Dad takes care of the grill and meat. We sit together in a circle with light conversations thrown around while everyone eats to the brim of their stomach. I watch the people who entered my life as a family and now have started to mean one.

I've never felt so lucky before and this is just the beginning of it.

The feels in this chapter 😩❤️

Hope you enjoyed the chapter. Don't forget to vote and comment. Makes my day.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

259K 15.8K 50
A cycle of falling in love, marrying, and falling out again leads to love. Because love is the endgame. __________ The Chauhan's are one of the most...
272 3 16
"Your eyes telling me, you want me" he grabbed me. caressed my cheeks. "What are you talking about?" shivering under his touch. "Shh" he leaned in an...
1.1M 135K 72
Rudra Rana Singh Rawal was abandoned at the age of two. Stolen name. Stolen identity. Stolen crown. He has lived the life of a thief despite being...
7.6K 843 26
"Lips may be sealed, secrets can be kept, but none are safe from me." Vera Reinhart went from having a clean record to committing murder within ten...