STAMP OF APPROVAL - a selecti...

By DC_Rose

The nation of Illéa was looking forward to their Crown Princess, Helena Schreave, taking her rightful place o... More

prelude
intro
the cast
the articles
reading the articles
the sunflower
garage
application
undercover
it was never supposed to be me
"as if i should be here"
dating is harder than it looks
"we still fell"
a good choice
"did you seriously just quote Princess Diaries 2?"
the late night waltz
"is everything in there worth noting?"
no playing favorites
"i'm gonna teach you to skateboard"
lightning strikes
"i didn't have time to put on a shirt"
a head full of confusion
"casualty of being in the Coast Guard, i suppose"
a wave crashes down
"i don't want anymore seaweed"
my hero
"can i cut in?"
"if i can be seen in public with both of you still in your pajamas"
tell me it'll be okay
"because i'm my father's son"
the tough goodbyes
"it's a funeral, after all"
with you, i'm home
"why would you pick me?"
tough choices lie ahead
"you're asking me if i love her"
three little words
"i never thought i'd find anyone"
finally
"and i'm choosing you"
the buildup
"will you marry me?"
epilogue

a seed of doubt

19 2 0
By DC_Rose

C H A R L O T T E

written by animationchic/aOK706

round ten ||

March 25th

8:33am

"You slept in this morning?" I startle, almost spilling my coffee and spin around meeting Ambrose's smiling face. It drops a bit when he takes in my expression. "Charlotte, I'm sorry. I was—"

I sigh, pinching the bridge of my nose. "No, I'm sorry. I just haven't had coffee yet this morning."

"Oh, well in that case," Ambrose leans across me and pours an even larger cup of coffee than I was even planning on before.

"Leave some for the others," I tease, looking around to the other people in the room. The dining hall hasn't been this full since the start of the Selection and I both love it and find it exhausting. Four people stopped me on my way to get coffee, wanting to talk or say good morning. Don't get me wrong, I totally welcome their friendly faces, I just need coffee first.

"Eh, what good is it being the princess if you can't take as much of the coffee as you want?" Ambrose is teasing, trying to make up for our rocky start this morning so I choose to throw him a save.

"There are plenty of good things, but honestly none of them sound as good as that coffee does right now." I smile at him as he hands me my coffee, having fixed it just how I like it. "Thank you Ambrose."

"Of course, anytime I can help, I'm here for you, you know that," he seems sincere and I can't help but relax a bit more as I wrap my hands around the hot coffee. He shifts and looks around the room. "Can I ask a favor?"

He seems sheepish now, a little shy and it's a side of him I've never seen. It's cute. "What's up?"

"Sit with me?" He looks up at me as if he were pleading and I chuckle, shaking my head. He rushes to defend himself, "My friends all had to catch an early flight this morning, get back home for work today, leaving me stranded while everyone else still has their people. Come on Charlotte," he play pouts now and now I laugh. He's smiling too even as he continues to try to guilt me. "You can't leave me all by myself, not after I made you coffee."

"Fine," I huff another laugh and shake my head at him. "Let me make a plate and I'll join you."

"I can do that for you, go ahead and sit, relax, I'll be right there," Ambrose says and before I can object he's making his way over to the buffet table and is looking over the options.

I weave my way through the crowded room trying not to listen in on the conversations but one catches my attention as I pass.

"Crees que alguna vez aprenderá a hablar español?" It's Onyx and he's grinning broadly at Abri but seems to be speaking to Levi.

"Nah, ella lo intentó, nunca se dio cuenta," Levi responds in the same fluent Spanish. I almost stop at the sound of him speaking rapid spanish but then I hear what he adds. "Además, si no quieres que lo haga, entenderá lo que dices sobre el chico."

"Tengan cuidado muchachos," I say as I pass by, teasing them but serious all the same. "Nunca se sabe quién a su alrededor podría entender y no quieren que los atrapen diciendo algo que no deberían, verdad?"

Levi and Onyx both look at me then, a little surprised but Abri groans, "Not you too!"

The three of us chuckle and I shrug. "Most of my family is at least conversationally fluent in Spanish, we have to be able to speak to our people."

Levi looks at me then like he's seeing a whole new side of me. I'm about to say something else when Ambrose interrupts, a hand at my back and a plate with an egg white omelet and fruit salad. I try not to deflate, especially as I eye Levi's plate loaded with bacon. Ambrose means well.

"Ready for breakfast?" Ambrose asks me, not saying anything to Levi or his friends. I nod and wave my goodbye, turning away, not quite sadly, but slightly disappointed. But I say nothing, not wanting to embarrass Ambrose. He smiles at me as he leads me further down the tables and into the corner, almost hidden away from everyone else.

"Embarrassed to be seen with me?" I joke as he pushes my chair in for me.

"More like I just want you all to myself," Ambrose responds with a lift of his brow and I can feel my cheeks warm. Well, I wasn't expecting that kind of an answer. He smiles kindly then and takes his own seat. "Sorry, I'm just jealous I never actually got the chance to dance with you last night."

My heart melts. "I'm sorry. I was so busy. I promise, next time, you will get your chance."

"So there will be a next time? For me, I mean?" Ambrose's eyes are intense and it hits me exactly what he's asking. He's trying to make sure he'll be around for a while longer. I barely have to think about my answer.

"Yes, as long as you're okay with that," I tell him honestly. It's just as important that he wants to stay.

"More than okay," Ambrose takes a drink of his tea then, hiding his expression but I can tell he's pleased.

"Well, okay then," I say and pick up my fork, debating on if I want to start with my sad fruit or my even sadder omelet.

"Your Majesty, someone had this sent to you," a kitchen boy says as he places a plate full of bacon and breakfast pastries on the table. Ambrose frowns at it, ready to push it back but I reach forward and take a piece of bacon, biting into it happily.

"Thank you, Harkin," I tell the boy and he smiles happily, moving back to his clearing duties.

Ambrose grumbles about how unhealthy the food is but I'm not paying attention. Instead, I'm glancing around the room trying to figure out which of the others figured out my preference for bacon. My eyes snag on a familiar green pair and I can't help but smile more to myself, even as I turn to Ambrose and agree with him. But just because I agree, doesn't mean I won't eat this entire plate anyway.

After all, what good is it being princess if I can't have a plate of bacon and pastries for breakfast?

"Okay so tiaras are actually really uncomfortable," I tell Emmie and Abri as we lounge in the film lounge. There are weekly movies here but today, the room is empty except for us three. It took some maneuvering, so many people want me to spend time with their loved ones before they leave, but I promised Emmie and Abri answers and they have so, so many questions. So, I got Nat to lead them here and then I locked us in. Now whenever we hear the door knob rattle, we go silent and wait a few minutes and then break out into giggles as soon as we think the coast is clear. It's fun and reminds me I should have a girls only sleepover sometime soon. I think Nat would love it.

"But they're soooo pretty," Emmie sighs, taking in the few I smuggled in here. Mom usually doesn't let them out of her sight but these were the three options I still had in my room from last night so I figured, why not?

"Yes, but they're heavy and made of metal. Here," I say, standing and circling around her. I pull one box over to me and gently place it on her head. Then I pin it into place, as tightly as I can just as I would if I were wearing it.

"Ow, okay, yeah I see your point," Emmie mumbles but I don't miss how she looks around for a mirror.

I grin at Abri and pull out my phone, turning it on selfie mode. "Here."

Emmie gasps and Abri's eyes light up seeing her friend so happy. The look reminds me so much of her brother. I look at her. "I brought extra. Want to try one on too?"

"Me?" She looks surprised and I give her an obvious look. She smiles then in a way that makes her look like a little kid. She nods and I move, sitting behind her now, pulling the next tiara over. I pin hers in place just as I did Emmie's and then they move together, each trying to see themselves and what they look like as bonafide princesses.

"Well, what do we think?" I ask them, smiling as I watch them.

"They're gorgeous," Emmie says with a sigh.

"I think it's amazing you don't have a migraine all the time," Abri winces as she shifts, causing her hair to pull under the weight of the tiara, but I can tell she's still pleased.

"Well, I don't wear one all the time," I tell them. "Just for special occasions."

"Like last night," Emmie supplies and I nod.

"And your wedding," Abri adds and there's a calculating gleam in her eye now.

I almost choke but nod, feeling the color rise on my cheeks. "Yeah, I will wear one there too."

"Okay, I have to ask about that." Emmie shifts, pulling her legs under her and crossing them. "Do you really have to marry one of the Selected?"

"That's the deal," I tell her, not sure where she's going with this.

"But what if, out of all of the Selected, none of them were your One? Your, how did you put it last night? Your perfect complementary partner? What if your perfect partner never applied?" Emmie asks, her eyes getting wider and wider while Abri watches me like a hawk.

"That... that would be really sad if it were true. But I'm not so sure that I have to worry about that," I supply, not really sure what else to say. It's not like this isn't a legit concern I've had. What if my One wasn't here? What if none of these relationships were destined to work out? But I decided weeks ago that I can't think like that. I have to believe.

"So... you think your One could be here then?" Abri asks, quick to jump into the conversation and I feel more shy than before.

"I really, hope so, yeah," I say, and my voice is even smaller than before.

"And you think my brother is... a real contender? To be your One?" she asks, clarifying once more.

I gulp and nod, stammering, "Yeah, I mean, I'm still trying to figure it out. But— I mean, I wouldn't keep him here for no reason."

She looks at me and Emmie looks at both of us and it feels like the silence stretches between us forever. Finally Abri seems to come to a decision in her head and she turns back to me. "I have one more question."

I swallow my nerves. Did I bite off more than I could chew, inviting them here alone? Telling them they can ask me anything? Is Abri just going to tell her brother everything? I nod, signaling I am ready to answer anything she might throw my way. But true to who I'm finding out Abri is, she surprises me.

"Can we get a selfie?" She holds up her phone and puts some distance between her and Emmie, motioning for me to sit between them.

I laugh then, relieved and overjoyed at the same time. I feel like I passed some sort of test. I laugh again and nod. "Of course, just don't make me put on a tiara."

"Nah, we got that covered." Emmie grins at me as I settle between her and Abri. Emmie wraps her arms around me and smiles broadly at the camera. "Now, say cheese!"

March 26th

7:25pm

"Have I told you yet, how beautiful you look?" Quentin whispers in my ear as he helps me out of the car and I can feel my cheeks flush.

"Thank you," I say softly as I look up at him but it's no use. I can't see him behind all of the flashing cameras. The air fills with my name, with the names of my family and even Quentin's name, but true to form, we ignore them all. I split my attention between Quentin and not tripping on the hem of my dress.

When my father suggested formal one-on-one dates I hadn't anticipated literally going to one right away, but here we are. The families haven't even all flown home yet here I am out at the Fennley's ambassador's daughter's wedding. It of course had to be white tie attire so here I am, in yet another gown. I love dressing up, but my feet are killing me. We pass by the flashing cameras with ease and I must say, Quentin does a good job not being stopped by the paparazzi.

Honestly, who invites the paparazzi to their wedding?

"Eleusine, dear! Best wishes on your nuptials," my mother beams at the skinny blonde in the receiving line ahead of us and it takes everything in me not to roll my eyes. Socialites, that's who invites paparazzi to their wedding.

I've never been the biggest fan of Eleusine Bogart (now Chambard), or LeuLeu as she always preferred to go by. She's the typical ambassador's daughter. Perfect straight blonde hair, perfect straight white teeth, perfect straight slim nose. Just perfect, perfect, perfect. And completely without a personality. But we were born the same year so we've always been classmates and she's always thought she was one of my best friends.

Henley and I used to gag behind her back. Used to, we're grown adults now.

But LeuLeu is still the dullest girl I've ever met. Her wedding is just like the thousands I've been to before, full of the same people that are always at these things. At least I know the food will be good.

"Lottie! I can't believe you came! I was worried you would be too busy to come!" LeuLeu cries into the room, wrapping her arms around me in the most unwelcome hug of the century.

I grit my teeth. "Oh, Leu, I wouldn't have missed it."

"Oh! Tell me who you brought." Eleusine gives me an eyebrow wiggle and I force myself to keep the perfect princess smile on my face.

"Eleusine Chambard," she releases a high pitched squeal at the sound of her new last name but I force myself to continue, "this is Quentin Westwell. Quentin, this is Eleusine or LeuLeu. We went to school together and she is Ambassador Bogart's eldest daughter."

"It's a pleasure to meet you Mrs. Chambard." Quentin greets her with a kiss to the back of her hand and she giggles once more. She gives me an approving smile and I notice that so does my mother. Hmm, seems Quentin passed that little test.

"Oh, the pleasure is all mine, Quentin." LeuLeu giggles once more and leans forward like she's about to share a secret. Oh no, what is she going to say next? "You are just adorable! And can I just say that Kais used to be my favorite, home province and all that, but now you might be my new favorite. You should keep him, Lottie."

"I will keep your endorsement in mind LeuLeu," I promise her as we continue on our way into the reception. As soon as we're out of line of sight I feel the tension leave my shoulders.

"Lottie?" Quentin snickers in my ear and I feel the tension gather again.

"If you ever call me that, I will never forgive you," I hiss at him, bumping into him gently.

"But it's what my new BFF LeuLeu calls you," Quentin's grin is almost evil. I glare at him and he softens. "Hey, don't be mad at me. It's just so adorable. Like me."

"Yeah, yeah." I sigh, linking my arm through his. "Don't let it go to your head."

"Wait, you've been to how many weddings?" I ask Quentin, my eyes wide.

He chuckles. "Twenty-six, but come on, you must have gone to about the same?"

"No, not yet." I shake my head at him and take another bite of the chocolate mocha crunch cake that's been sitting in front of me for the past twenty minutes. Normally it would have been long gone by now, but Quentin has been telling me about the numerous amount of bad weddings he's been to before this one. "My parents probably, but I only started attending weddings recently."

"Yeah, she has to have dates to weddings, otherwise it's improper," Luc chimes in from Quentin's other side and I shoot my brother a glare.

"You can't go to a wedding without a date?" Quentin asks me, curiosity filling his eyes.

I shrug. "When I was a kid it was fine, but children aren't usually allowed at functions like this one. And then when I became of age, well, no not really. And weddings are very intimate so..."

"So you can't just take anyone," Quentin finishes my sentence for me and I nod.

"Everything can have a deeper meaning, whether I want it to or not," I warn him, deflating a little and taking another bite of cake.

"Speaking of deeper meanings, I have to tell you about the murder mystery themed wedding my cousin Devony threw?" Quentin asks me, his eyes lighting up as he changes the subject. I smile at Quentin as he continues, appreciating him even more. "To figure out which table you were at you had to find a hidden card number based on the clue she left on the seating chart. It was chaos. People were so late to their seats they missed the entire bridal party entrance."

"That sounds awful," I laugh into my cake and I notice how Quentin watches me. He seems happy, more relaxed here outside of the palace. It's really nice.

"It was." He glances around and frowns at all the over-the-top elegance surrounding him. There's crystals and feathers in the centerpieces and candles everywhere. Everyone is dressed in black except the bridal party and rose petals cover every walkway. If LeuLeu had wanted flower petals that badly, she should have had her wedding in a garden. Not a Ritz ballroom. Quentin lowers his voice and leans toward me, "Though I think I would still prefer that wedding over this one."

"Join the party," I mumble to him and he leans even closer.

"So tell me about you and LeuLeu," Quentin says softly as he scoots even closer to me.

"There's nothing really to tell." I shrug and glance around to be sure that the bride in question is nowhere nearby. Quentin looks at me patiently and I give up. "We went to school together. She's a nice enough girl but she just was one of those that always thought we were closer than we were, you know? Like we actually kind of grew up together, more than once she would attend summits with her father just to hang out with us, but we were never close. She just... wanted it too much, if that makes sense?"

"I know those kids." Quentin nods. "I see them a lot at school."

"You must think I'm one of the mean girls," I tell him sadly.

"No, not at all," Quentin surprises me by how serious he sounds. He places a hand on my shoulder and I can't help but feel comforted by him. "No, there are three kinds of kids that get that kind of attention. The mean kids, for sure. They want the attention and take advantage of those that give it. The kids that don't ask for the attention but get it anyway for one reason or another, but then handle it with grace and then the kids that don't ask for it but become friends with the kid just because they feel bad. I would put you in the graceful category."

"Well, Grace is my middle name," I try to joke for lack of what else to say but it falls flat.

"Well, I would say you live up to it quite well," Quentin says softly.

"Thank you," I say just as softly. This feels like a moment. A special moment, one with a lot of weight on it, but I don't know what happens next. I don't know what he wants to happen next.

"Would you like to dance with me?" Quentin asks, breaking the silence that has formed between us. I look to the dancefloor where my parents already are and LeuLeu is holding her husband hostage. He's a handsome enough looking man, someone who goes well with the blonde but doesn't overshadow her. They're a good pair. I look back to Quentin. We could be a good pair, right?

"Yeah, I'd like that," I smile and take his hand, letting him lead me onto the dancefloor and pull me into his arms.

It's weird. I've danced with him before, I've danced with all of the remaining Selected men, but this is different. This isn't a formal dance. This doesn't have steps that have to be followed. This is more about being close and just being together. It's intimate. It's nice.

"This is nice," Quentin says softly, into my hair and echoing my thoughts.

"I was just thinking the same thing." I chuckle, looking up at him.

"Really? Miss Dance likes this kind of dancing?" Quentin quirks his eyebrow and I can tell he's teasing me. I'm starting to be able to read him.

"Yes, I like all kinds of dancing," I tell him, narrowing my eyes slightly.

"Oh really? All kinds?" Quentin asks me and I nod. He laughs. "And here I thought it was just waltzes and tangos. I guess I owe Linus ten bucks."

"You guys are making bets about me?" I gasp, smacking his chest lightly.

Quentin takes my hand in his, holding it closely to his chest. "All in good fun Charlotte." He lightly presses his lips to my forehead before whispering, "All in good fun."

"Can I walk you back to your room?" Quentin asks me and I giggle as I nod. Maybe I had too much champagne at the wedding. We walk slowly, leaving the quiet murmuring of the rest of my family behind. "I had a good time tonight."

"You did?" I ask Quentin, tilting a little in my heels in the deep carpeting.

"You didn't?" Quentin's face seems to fall slightly and I sway toward him.

"No, I did, I promise, it just—" I search for my words. "I'm actually surprised at how much fun I had. I don't usually enjoy those types of things."

"Why not?" Quentin asks as his arm winds around my waist, steadying me.

"There's just so many people watching and waiting for me to mess up," I confess. I'm surprised by how honest I'm being. "I guess I just get tired of having to watch what I say and do. I'm tired of people waiting for me to fail."

"But tonight, you didn't feel like that?" Quentin asks it in a way that lets me know he's really listening. And he really cares about my answer.

"No." I shake my head, feeling some of my hair come loose. I stop walking and look up at Quentin. "No, tonight I felt like I could relax and just enjoy the evening. Thanks to you."

"To me?" He has the decency to look surprised but I can tell that he's also pleased.

"Yep." I nod happily and smile up at Quentin. "With you there, I was able to let down my guard a little. I was able to relax. Because I had a teammate. Someone to relax with and someone who was letting me relax. So... thank you."

"It was my pleasure." Quentin chuckles as he stops too and then he looks up surprised. "And now I think it's time I said goodnight."

"Ready to get rid of me?" I pout and yes, I know I've had too much champagne. I will regret that tomorrow.

"No, but I think Bard will kill me if we linger any longer," Quentin laughs softly.

"Hey, take all the time you need," Bard says from over my shoulder and I look over, a bit surprised to find him here. He was staying behind, working the night shift on my door tonight.

Oh, this is my door.

I turn back to Quentin. "Maybe you're right. It's time to call it a night."

"Goodnight, Charlotte." Quentin chuckles and he moves like he's going to kiss me but then he just reaches around me and opens my door instead. "I will see you in the morning."

And then he walks away.

I turn to Bard. "What just happened?"

"Sorry." He looks a bit sheepish. "I think I popped the date bubble you two were in."

"Hmmm," I hum more to myself and turn back to where I can still see Quentin walking away from me. "Sad."

"You're drunk," Bard notes, a bit surprised.

"No, tipsy at best." I laugh and now that Quentin is gone, it feels too loud.

"You're never drunk." Bard frowns, looking at me.

"I'm fine, LeuLeu just spiked everything and besides, Quentin was there to take care of me." I wave off Bard and his mother henning. Before he can say anything else, I close the door on him. "Goodnight, Bard!"

March 29th

6:15pm

"Whew, I can't believe I made it down all of those steps," I whisper to Ambrose as I finally descend the stairs and meet him at the bottom.

Ambrose smiles, placing my hand on his elbow just as my father did with my mother before him. "I would have caught you."

"Yes, but the headlines, can you imagine?" I fake whine as I look around at all of the cameras surrounding us. I take my spot and smile as Ambrose moves away, out of frame. He stays there, even as the photographers try to get him to come back. Good, I knew this would be the main test for him. As my date, yes he can be photographed escorting me around, but since he's not my husband, he can't stand at my side for anything staged. It's something that all of the guys should have been instructed on in their lessons and I'm happy to see that Ambrose remembered. Especially here.

State dinners are such a formal event, I am not at all surprised that this is the event my dad chose for Ambrose. I'm willing to bet there are few Selected men left he would have invited to this. But Ambrose looks as if he belongs here.

"Princess Charlotte! Over here!"

"Princess Charlotte, look this way!"

"Oh, Princess, your train—"

I barely know what's happening before Ambrose is ducking his head and rushing behind me, smoothing out the train of my dress. It was caught on some beading, lifting up, off the floor. Now, it lays flat.

I smile gratefully at Ambrose as he rises and meets my eye briefly. Just as he passes, I reach out and squeeze his hand in thanks. And when he meets my eye, smiling back at me, I forget, just for a moment, all about the cameras.

"Okay so remind me of who everyone is?" Ambrose whispers in my ear.

"Seated next to my father is the king of Swendway, Niklas Ahlboarn and next to my mother is his second wife, Josefin," I whisper back to Ambrose and he nods along knowingly. Something tells me he didn't need the reminder. I look up at Ambrose. "You already knew that, didn't you?"

"You've been quiet for a long time, I wanted to get you talking." Ambrose shrugs and smiles softly at me. He leans back, allowing the waiter to pour wine into his goblet over his shoulder but when it's my turn, I cover my glass and shake my head. I know Ambrose would take care of me, but that migrain I had after the wedding was not worth it.

"Sorry, I've been listening," I tell Ambrose.

"You understand Swendish?" Ambrose asks me, looking impressed.

"Not very well, but I'm working on it," I admit, my cheeks coloring.

"That's amazing, and you speak Spanish." Ambrose genuinely looks impressed and I feel a swell in my chest. Ambrose isn't the easiest to impress and yet, I just did.

"I've always felt it was important to speak the language of my people," I tell him proudly.

"It is very important, princess," the King of Swendway interrupts my conversation and I feel my cheeks color a deeper red. "A trait I try to instill in my son. A shame you did not allow him to apply, Will." I shift, a bit uncomfortable as Nils, King Niklas' eldest son leers at me from across the table. King Niklas always assumed, since I was the second daughter, that an engagement between me and Nils was imminent. Our countries have always been close, it would only strengthen the bond. But my parents never signed anything and I was never a fan of Nils.

"Niklas, we discussed this; once Charlotte stepped up to her role as crown princess, any possible arrangement was out the window," my father says it like he's bored, like he's not casually discussing what could have been my future. He takes a sip of wine and meets my eye. "Once it was clear that Charlotte would one day become queen, it was also clear she must marry one of her people. It is as it always has been."

"My son still would have made the better match," King Niklas grumbles but it seems he's calming from it all.

Nils, however, is not.

"I was promised her hand, you know," he's not speaking to any of us, but to Ambrose.

Ambrose looks up at him, a bit surprised to be brought into the conversation so directly. He blinks at Nils and reaches over, taking my hand in his. "Well, luckily for me, that promise never came to fruition."

Nils seethes but Ambrose turns his attention to me instead, asking me with his eyes if that was okay. I nod, relieved. There are so many ways this night could have gone, and honestly this was one of the worst ways. But Ambrose handled himself like a natural born royal consort. I couldn't have asked for more.

Soon the conversation turns to trade routes and enough time has passed for Ambrose to release my hand. He's made his point.

So why do I want him to keep holding it?

March 30th

3:44 pm

"This is amazing! I've never been to a real fashion show!" Xander's excitement is palpable as we walk the red carpet to get into the location. He drops my hand and moves off to the side as I stop for photos but he takes it again as soon as I'm moving and I have to say it's nice. He's been holding my hand, leading me, since we got out of the car.

"Well get used to it," Wynnie says from beside me. "Everyone wants a royal at their fashion show."

"They want royals at their trunk shows even more," Henley says from behind us and as Xander glances back his eyes light up.

I laugh. "Way to ruin the surprise, Hen!"

"Sorry!" She looks a little sheepish as she shrugs, but not really. She's just as excited as Xander is by this outing.

"Yes." I turn back to Xander. "The trunk show is after the runway. We've been invited to have first dibs."

"And we each want you to pick us out outfits," Henley pipes up.

"No, you don't have-—" I start to tell Xander that he doesn't have to pick us out outfits. That he doesn't have to do anything but enjoy this time out of the palace and in his world but Xander cuts me off.

"Of course, but you can't say no, any of you!" Xander's excitement has reached an all time high as he takes the three of us in. We all exchange glances. What did we just get ourselves into?

"Charlotte, how many designers are here?" Xander is whispering but I'm not sure why. So many people are here, their voices fill up the room but Xander's is the only one I'm interested in hearing.

"Four," I reply and bend down, reaching for the program that was in the swag bags. "I haven't heard of two of them but I know Heirloom and Triumph Collective."

"Triu— If Triumph Collective is here, is the other one Lacuna?" Xander is practically bouncing in his seat.

"Uh, yeah," I tell him after glancing at the program once more. "It says Lacuna and the last one is Cupidon."

"No way! I sent so many designs to Lacuna, Reed Sinclair is one of my all time icons." Xander leans over me to flip the pages of the program to show me the photo of the tall looking woman with long pink hair and immaculate eyebrows. "They're so cool, always on the front lines of the latest trends."

"I can't wait to see the collection." I smile at him, happy to see him so in his element.

Xander looks like he wants to say more but the lights dim and the music picks up. This is it. The show is starting.

I don't even notice as the first few looks pass us by, I'm too busy watching Xander. He just looks so happy it's hard to look away. I'm glad I could help make him that happy.

March 31st

2:20pm

"I never thought I would get the opportunity to come to one of these things, thank you, Charlotte," Bowie murmurs in my ear as he sidles up next to me. We just got through the small amount of press outside of this thing. I have to hand it to my father. He chose the Green Energy Expo for Bowie and I to attend and I don't think a date has fit one of my guys.

My guys. That's such a ridiculous thing to say. I still can't believe we're already down to twelve men and it's only been four months. Just four months and I already knew that those other 23 weren't him.

"I'm really glad you got to come with me," I admit to Bowie, smiling softly. This date is so different from all of the others. Instead of a gown or formal wear, I'm in slacks and an oversized blazer. Business-like because this is business first and foremost. This is where all of the green energy companies make all of their newest pitches and where some of the best ideas come from.

Bowie grins and slips his hand in mine. "How much time do we have here today?"

"Pretty much until we or my parents get bored." I shrug and he glances across the room where my father is getting a demonstration on the newest recycling system. I know he's faking interest. I've been trying to get him to implement a recycling system in the palace for years. He's never cared.

"Well, something tells me they'll get bored before us, so let's go," Bowie leans down, whispering in my ear and his excitement is infectious.

"Something tells me you're right," I confide in Bowie and duck my head. My parents might be chaperoning us, but that doesn't mean we have to be around them the whole time, and now is our best shot to strike out on our own.

The evening goes by quickly. Everytime Bowie or I spot one of my parents seeming to make their way towards us, we duck and rush around to hide in plain sight. Between the green energy demonstrations and our narrow escapes, it's one of the best dates I've had so far. Bowie has surprised me at every turn today. He's asked the sellers intelligent questions, he's challenged them on some assumptions and even made a few rethink their designs. He's also kept me laughing in the in between and my parents far, far away from us. He's known exactly what I needed and gave it to me.

"Are you two having a good time?" My mother asks me, surprising me while I'm in line for food. She looks around us. "You know you are a princess right? That means you don't stand in lines."

"Mom, really, I can stand in a line." I roll my eyes at her.

She says nothing about my eye roll and changes the subject instead, "Where is Bowie? You should not have been left alone."

"Bowie is getting us drinks." I sigh and shift, motioning over to where Bowie is standing in a different line. Then I motion to another corner. "And over there is Chatham."

My mom purses her lips. "Are you about ready to go?"

"No, I'm hungry," I tell her and move up in line. "Bowie and I were going to get some food and then hit the other side of the Expo."

"You haven't even gone all the way through yet?" My mom looks shocked and I chuckle. She smiles then too. "You know, I'm not surprised. You always loved coming to these things."

"Well green energy is important," I tell my mother, shifting slightly uncomfortably.

"It is, but I think it's more than green energy," Mom muses, looking around the different booths. "I think it's more the promise of things. You like ideas and how excited they are."

"Maybe." I shrug and turn back to the line.

"Get out of line, we're leaving," Mom says and I turn to her quickly.

"But I—"

"We're leaving," Mom cuts me off and moves out of line. I watch her for a moment and when she turns back to me she gives me the look. I know that look.

I sigh and make my way to Bowie. He turns to me, a bright smile on his face and two cups in his hand. I give him a weak smile. "We've been summoned. We're heading out."

Bowie sighs and hangs his head. "Is it weird to say I was hoping this wouldn't end?"

"The expo?" I ask him, grinning lightly.

"The date." He meets my eyes and something swoops in my stomach.

"No," I say softly. I bite back a full smile, glancing down at our linked hands. "No, that's not weird at all.

April 3rd

12:00pm

"You need to see this," Henley sinks into the chair across from me. I glance up as she tosses a tabloid in front of me. I give her a look and she returns it. Usually with tabloids, Henley looks excited. This time, she looks almost angry.

"Henley, what?" I ask my friend as I pull the tabloid to me. My heart sinks as I take in the headline.

35 Frogs; How Many Kisses Until Our Princess Finds Her Prince?

Read On About One Possible Prince's Experience So Far

"Someone talked to the media?" I ask her, sitting up straight and flip to the indicated pages.

"Yep." Henley sighs and runs her hands through her hair. I reach the page and I'm almost relieved to see who it was. Henley isn't. "Shame, he was one of my favorites."

"No, he wasn't," I roll my eyes and sigh, gathering the trash mag and moving to the door.

"Well, yeah, at this point they're all my favorites," Henley grins.

"Not helping," I tell her as I move out the door.

"Just pick one and I'd be more help!" she calls after me and I sigh, rolling my eyes. Of course.

"Charlotte." Apollo's face lights up as he opens his door. "It's nice to see you."

"I wish I could say the same." I sigh and motion into his room. "Mind if I come in?"

"Yeah, what's up?" Apollo's face falls especially once he sees Chatham over my shoulder.

"That could have gone better," Chatham murmurs to me and I nod. In truth, Apollo took the elimination better than I thought he might. He fought for himself, but in the end, he understood. I would have kept him, I really would but he told the reporter too much on our date the other night, including the kiss he had given me only moments before.

"It's gotten worse," I tell my oldest guard. Chatham purses his lips in an imitation of a grin. Chatham has been with me longer than any other guard. He went to high school with me, got me out of more scraps than I can count, and drove me to pick up too many coffees after all nighters. There's no one I trust more. Which makes me realize I haven't asked him what he thinks about the guys so far.

"Chatham, you've been with me forever," I start and he chuckles.

"Way to make me feel old, Princess." Chatham grins at me. He stops us in our tracks and leans against the wall, crossing his arms. "Don't tell me, you want to know what I think of all of this?"

"Well, yeah." I nod and lean against the opposite wall.

"I really shouldn't, this is something you need to figure out on your own," Chatham says hesitantly, but I know that tone. He wants to tell me.

"Oh, come on, Chatham, I know you better than that. You always have an opinion." I cross my own arms and Chatham grins. I'm right. He does always have an opinion.

"I thought you'd never ask." Chatham raises his brow and motions for me to walk with him. "But first, I think we should bring Bard back into this conversation."

"He won't tell me anything," I whine but lead the way back to my rooms. I know Bard should be taking over Chatham's post any moment now.

"Nah, you asked him to be impartial when he was a Selected." Chatham wags his finger at me and grins once more. "But he's no longer a Selected, now is he?"

I grin, picking up what he's spelling out. "No, no he is not. But I still don't think he'll tell us."

"Probably not, but he knows these guys better than I do, so if I'm going to give my opinion, I might as well have him backing me up," Chatham says as he rounds the corner. He beams as he takes Bard in. "Ah, old friend. We need your help."

"Boys?" Bard asks me, his tone as surprised as ever. He glances at me, his eyebrow lifting questioningly as he lifts his cup of coffee to his lips. Just before he takes a sip he asks me once more, "You really asked me out here to talk about boys?"

"Well, Chatham was going to give me his opinion and I thought, now that you're no longer a Selected..." I trail off as I watch his expression remain the same. "Oh, come on, Bard! You have to have an opinion on these guys. You hung out with them everyday!"

"I do have opinions," Bard admits and Chatham sits forward, almost excited. "But I'm still not telling you what they are."

Chatham's face falls. "Awe Kensy, you're no fun."

"She needs to figure this out for herself," Bard tells Chatham, his voice both amused and completely serious. "This is her life, not ours." He turns to me then. "For what it's worth, I kind of miss it. I miss hanging out with some of them and you and just being friends. If it hadn't been for the spying, I probably would have had more fun with it."

"I miss you being around too," I admit to him, shifting in my seat and wrapping my hands around my own coffee mug.

"Wait, you said 'some', you miss being around 'some' of them." Chatham narrows his eyes, cutting me off and if it was anyone other than Chatham, I would be annoyed. As it is, this is the man who held my hair back while I puked when I had the flu at the Winter Summit last year. Chatham glances between me and Bard. "So who didn't you enjoy being around?"

I glance up at Bard, interested in his answer as well but Bard only holds up his hands. "Nope, my lips are sealed. That is for you—" he points at me, "to figure out on your own."

"But everyone else is weighing in," I tell him, trying to convince him to open up to me.

"When you asked me to take a position in your selection, you asked me to be impartial and gather the facts," Bard reminds me. "So I will continue that now."

"I didn't ask you to be completely impartial and remain that way," I argue. "I needed someone to get to know the real men and help me root out anyone that was obviously wrong for me. To help protect me and gather facts. You can't help protect me and remain impartial."

"But I'm not going to convince you to be with one of them just because I like him best." Bard shakes his head but the corner of his lips turn up. "I know you're trying hard to get my opinion, but I won't give it to you, Your Majesty, and not you either, Chatham."

"Fine," Chatham says almost pouting and I almost laugh. He looks like such a kid, not getting his way. He rarely relaxes like this when I'm with him, but right now we're in the heart of the palace and both he and Bard are here. There is very little threat, so he can let his guard down a bit. Chatham turns to me, "But I never made you any such promise, so here's what I think..."

Chatham's words hang with me the rest of the day. Bard stayed true to his word, never really weighing in to sway us towards one guy or away from another, but oddly, there was one thing they both were in complete agreement on. One guy they both felt was not a right fit.

And truth be told, I have to agree with them.

"Hey, Ellis, sorry, I know it's late," I say apologetically to the man standing in his door.

His eyes crinkle up as a smile lights his face as he takes me in, "Did you just get back from something?"

"Oh, yeah," I chuckle, glancing down at my sweats that I've already changed into. Truthfully, I got back three hours ago and have been in the gym dancing since. I needed to process all the dates I've been on so far and how some of the guys feel natural while with others, it still feels forced. Something about being out in the spotlight with them has only highlighted those issues.

Ellis is one of them.

Everything with Ellis has felt a tad forced, right from the start. He's just so quiet so for some time, it felt like I would almost forget about him. And then he'd be around and he's such a sweet guy, I felt like I should be feeling something. I tried, but as Henley would say, I shouldn't have to try. Especially when there are more than a few guys here that I don't have to try with at all.

"You're not here with good news, are you?" Ellis asks, ruffling the hair at the back of his neck.

It's a shame. This is the most natural I've ever seen Ellis and I'm probably more attracted to him now, when I'm ending things, than I have been the entire time. He's dressed for bed and I probably should have waited to make this visit, but I hate waiting.

"Late night visits are never a good sign," Ellis supplies, gracious as ever and I feel my shoulders fall.

"I'm sorry, Ellis, I really am," I tell him and he gives me a gentle smile. "I promise I really tried, but it's just not clicking. Not for me anyway. I feel absolutely awful about it."

"Charlotte, breathe," Ellis says, his soft voice firm with the command. He's stepped forward and his hands are on my shoulders, a steady presence cutting off my rambling. He gives me a gentle smile. "It's okay. I can feel it too, it's just not there and that's okay. No hard feelings."

"Really?" I ask him, suddenly unsure of myself.

"Really." Ellis nods and pulls me into a hug. "If you weren't here eliminating me, I probably would have bowed out soon enough. But I've had a really great time becoming your friend."

"Me too." I smile into his chest. "Thank you, Ellis."

"Thank you, Charlotte."

April 5th

5:30pm

This is probably the most public date I've been on so far and it's almost overwhelming. The roar of the crowd fills the stadium as the warm up drills happen down on the ice. Calgary hasn't been in the playoffs in years and for them to be going up against the Angeles Kings is a big deal. It's the final game in this playoff series and the tension is high.

"You realize Calgary has no chance right?" I huff as I sit in the box seat next to Levi.

"Excuse you, you do realize this is the best the Flames have looked in years, right? I mean come on, we have Adrian Abney!" Levi turns to me, ready to defend his team.

"Yeah, but it doesn't compare to the Kings' lineup." I shake my head and sink in my seat. I know the camera guys have all been told not to pan the box seats, not in this corner of the arena, until certain times but I still get anxious.

"You know hockey?" Levi asks me, having to speak up over commotion in the arena.

"Know it? She was obsessed in school," Hendrix pipes up from in front of us. He turns toward me and grins. "Made us go to all the games."

I toss popcorn at him and he chuckles, turning back around. My cheeks flush red thinking about the real reason I made my friends go to all of the games. It wasn't just because I liked the game.

"I had friends on the team," I explain shrugging. Levi gives me a questioning look and I worry he's going to pry when the opening notes of the national anthem plays.

We all stand in the box and I hope that no one is looking too closely up here, hoping to get away without anyone noticing that not just one, but two of the royals is here. But nope, no luck. A cheer fills the arena as the camera guy pans in tightly into our box. I smile my princess smile and wave to the people as the singer continues in the song. I can feel Levi stiffen and I worry this might have been too much but I feel Luc step up next to me and another cheer erupts, taking some of the attention off of me. Finally the anthem ends and everyone settles down once more. I can see people turning to look into the box more than before but I relax some as Natalia, Hendrix, Luc and his date all file into the seats in front of Levi and me, giving us some modicum of privacy.

"Sorry about that," I mumble under my breath, trying not to break my princess smile.

"It's okay," Levi mutters but I can tell by the tension still in his shoulders that it's not. "I mean, you must be used to that kind of attention by now."

"Not really," I admit, shaking my head. "I mean, yeah kind of but this is different. Sometimes I can convince myself that I'm just a normal girl and then something like this happens and I'm snapped back into reality and reminded that I'm very much not."

"Well, I can tell you one thing," Levi says beside me and his teasing tone makes me smile. "A normal girl does not wear high heels to a hockey game and then insists on taking the stairs. So no, you are very much not normal."

I grin up at him, biting back a laugh. I'm about to say something with the starting horn sounds throughout the arena and the puck drops.

And we're off.

"No otra vez!" Levi shouts as the Kings sink another puck into the Calgary net. He slams his hand on his armrest and I can't help but giggle.

"So, you're like really into hockey then?" I ask him teasingly.

"Did you think I wouldn't be princess?" he asks mockingly but I can tell he's not being unkind, he's just frustrated.

I shrug. "I don't know. Just figured it would be hard to be when your home team is the Flames."

"Oh, you think you're funny do you? Kicking a guy when his team is down?" Levi asks, grinning and leaning in toward me.

"I mean, a little bit, yeah." I shrug again. "And your team is the Calgary Flames, they haven't won a Cup in what, twenty years?" I poke him in the chest. "I'm surprised anyone watches with how bad they've been lately."

"All right, that's it," Levi murmurs and he surprises me by taking my hand and lacing our fingers together. "You, princess, are going to eat your words. Just watch the rest of the game while my boys put yours in their place."

"Yeah, okay, we'll see," I murmur but I can't help but notice that Levi doesn't give my hand back. Instead he rests it between us and a warmth floods through me. I can't help the small smile that stays on my face.

"Charlotte?" Levi says my name with a question in it and I look up at him, my mouth full of pizza.

"Yeah?" I ask him, trying to quickly swallow my food.

Levi's grin tells me he doesn't miss the piece that almost falls onto my gold jersey but he says nothing. Instead he asks, "Why are we eating on the floor in the hallway instead of in the box?"

"I'm sorry, we can go back in if you want, let me just toss this." My cheeks flush and I grab my plate, moving to stand, but Levi's hand on my arm stops me.

"Why would you toss your food? You've only had two bites." He gives me a pointed look and I flush again. "I know you eat more than that."

I settle back down but make no move to eat again and instead admit, "I can't be caught eating."

"What?" His brow furrows.

"At something like this, I can't be caught eating. I mean can you imagine how much a paparazzo would pay to have a photo of me eating a hot dog?"

"But everyone eats, it's insane to think you don't."

"I know." I sigh and look back down at my slice of pizza, all of my appetite now gone. "But honestly, the media already has a field day discussing my weight, I don't need to give them ammunition."

"That's disgusting." Levi looks genuinely upset for me and I soften towards him even more. "I'm sorry you have to deal with that."

"It comes with the job." I try to shrug it off but I can tell I'm unsuccessful.

"Yeah but you didn't ask for this job, this type of thing shouldn't be forced on you," Levi says, ever my defender.

I smile softly at him, trying to convey that it's alright but also change the subject, "So what made you get into hockey?"

"My dad and I used to watch together," Levi says almost without thinking and I think it hits us both at the same time what he's said. I see him tense up and my mind starts spinning. I know his dad passed when Levi was really young, but I only know that from his application. In fact, Levi has never mentioned his father before. I want to know more but I'm scared to press.

"Did you ever go to a game?" I hedge my next question, hesitant to break whatever state of trust we're in.

"No." He shakes his head a couple of times and clears his throat. "No, I— we— No. It was always too much. Abri and I like to 'tailgate' them at home and have all of our favorite junk food while we watch now."

"That sounds great," I admit and I want to reach out to him. I hesitate a moment more but then gather my courage and reach out and take his hand. He glances up at me and I squeeze his hand. "I hope I can come to a tailgate sometime."

I think Levi catches on to what I'm trying to do, what he did before for me. I want to make him comfortable again, put him at ease like he did for me. He smiles and squeezes my hand once before suddenly shifting and getting to his feet.

"If you're going to tailgate with us, I need to be sure you can hang, and for that, we need nachos." Levi's grin is mischievous and I laugh letting him pull me up. What I'm not expecting is him to let go of me so quickly.

Suddenly, I can feel myself swaying on my heels and tipping in the wrong direction. I'm going to fall, all because I let Henley talk me into wearing stiletto heels. Levi was right earlier, normal girls don't wear these to hockey games.

"Whoa," I hear Levi huff as I prepare to meet the floor once more, but I don't.

I feel Levi's hand wrap around my arm and his other wrap around my waist, steadying me against him, saving me from yet another fall.

"Thanks," I murmur, glancing up at him and I can't help but notice how our breaths mix. I'm surprised though to see him looking down at me and not moving away. I can't help the small gasp that escapes me as I see his eyes darken. A thrill runs through me as I feel Levi soften against me, and I swear I'm not imagining it as he begins to lean down toward me.

My stomach swoops in anticipation. I am ready for him to kiss me, I want him to kiss me. So, so bad.

"Ahhh Luc! Another shot!" A boisterous voice rings down the hall, breaking through my thoughts.

It takes me a moment to stop staring at Levi's lips and realize that the voice is talking about my brother. My underaged brother and shots. Levi seems to realize this at the same time and suddenly, he's releasing my waist and together, we head back to the main food area.

Sure enough, there at the end of the bar are my brother and his date. And they are obviously trashed.

Levi stops and looks at me, obviously letting me take the lead and I charge forward. First thing I notice is that my Ansia has her phone out, videoing my brother. I snatch her phone from her hands and hand it off to Levi before turning on my brother. "Luc, what do you think you're doing?"

"Relax, sis," he slurs his words and I widen my eyes at him. He just rolls his. "I'm just having fun. Like you're s'posed to be."

I take a deep breath to keep myself from growling at him and turn to the bartender. "No more tonight, for either of them."

"You can't cut me off," Luc protests and turns to the bartender. "She can't cut me off."

"Yes, I can," I say, grabbing his arm and trying to pull him from the bar. I hear girlish giggles and am disgusted to see Ansia watching happily at the struggle between my brother and me.

"No, you can't," Luc says again and turns to the bartender again. "Another." When the poor man hesitates, he slams his hand against the bar. "I am your prince and I demand another!"

"Luc!" I flush in embarrassment. Thank goodness Uncle Phillip made sure we would have this corner to ourselves. If videos of Luc acting like this ever got out...

Drunk Luc isn't having the refusal however and more whines to the bartender, "You have to! Do you know who I am?"

"He does," I assure my brother but I square my shoulders. "But he also knows who I am. And the Crown Princess is trumping the prince right now."

"Yeah, well, you shouldn't be crown princess," Luc says the words softly but they hurt all the same.

"No, I shouldn't, but here I am anyway, now—" my voice is hurt, I can tell by the look on Levi's face that more has come out tonight than ever should have. His focus is on me even as Ansia tries to flirt with him and I can feel my cheeks go a deeper red. Does the girl have no shame? "Come on back to the box."

"I don't want to go anywhere with you." Luc rips his arm from my gasp and I stumble a bit. He doesn't notice, but Levi does. Suddenly Levi's behind me, steadying me. Luc takes him in and mutters to me, "I'm tired of always being around you."

I open my mouth but Levi cuts me off, "Why don't you take her to the bathroom. Get her cleaned up. I'll handle him."

"I can't ask you to do that, he's my brother—" I shake my head arguing but Levi isn't having it.

"Go, Charlotte, I got him," Levi says and looking into his eyes now, I know he does. I realize then how much I trust Levi. I trust him to see this side of Luc, of me, and not turn away. I realize I'm starting to trust him with my heart.

I sigh and nod, moving to Ansia's side. She's the last person I want to be around right now, but Levi's right. She looks like a mess. She's obviously drunk, unable to focus on anything and her makeup and clothes are a complete mess. I take the girl by the hand and lead her, stumbling, to the nearest women's room. I lock the door behind me, ensuring no unassuming citizen could come in and I turn to Ansia.

"Seriously?" I ask her.

She opens her mouth to respond but in the next moment, she's rushing to the trash can in the corner and emptying her stomach of all of the alcohol she recently ingested. I sigh, pulling a hair tie from my wrist and approach with caution.

I'm really starting to dislike models.

My stomach dances with nerves as I walk down the quiet hallway. Maybe I shouldn't be doing this. I usually wait to see any of the Selected until the morning. The only times I've broken this rule was for eliminations. But that's not my plan so I'm hoping Levi won't mind too much.

I want to thank him for tonight, both parts of it. I was having a great time at the start. Our conversations always feel so easy when I'm with him and I was relieved that it was no different in such a public setting. Actually, according to the guidelines made up for the Selected that Wynnie showed me, Levi was a perfect date, even when everything started falling apart.

We ended up leaving early thanks to Luc's little tantrum. I still have no idea what set him off and now he won't speak to me. I ended up having Chatham escort Ansia home, and make sure any unflattering videos or photos were wiped completely from her phone. Bard took over my guard duty and Levi stayed stuck, playing Luc's attendant until we could get him home. We never even told Hendrix or Natalia we were leaving, letting my other guards handle their safety. Then Levi helped get Luc to his room, asking me to let him handle it and that was that. That was the end of my date that up until then had been going so well.

I don't like that ending.

I want so much more than that and it startles and excites me at the same time. I want to go back to that darkened look in his eye when we were sharing the same breath. I want to go back to that moment when I was sure, so sure, that he was about to kiss me. I want to go back to that moment and close the distance between us. But that moment is ruined, and I'm not naive enough to think we can go straight back to it. Then again, a girl can hope.

I bite my lip when I get to Levi's door. I wonder if he's asleep but I'm hoping not. I'm hoping that he feels that our date should get a better ending. I'm hoping he feels the same way as I do about us.

Us.

That feels heavy. I've had some really great dates these past two weeks. I've deepened some connections and I think some of these connections could really turn into a relationship. And Levi is one of those. I can't deny that when I'm around him, I get butterflies. I can't say I don't look forward to our time together. I can't pretend anymore that he's not a real contender. I just hope that he feels the same way.

"There's only one way to find out," I murmur to myself.

Finally, I take a deep breath and gather every scrap of courage I have and lightly knock. It takes longer than I thought when finally someone opens the door. It's not the broad shoulders and easy smile I was expecting when the door opens, but the sleep ridden eyes behind black framed glasses and a boyish grin.

"Oh, hey, Charlotte," Linus ruffles his hair, trying to get it back into place but messing it up even more. He shifts, "What are you doing here so late?"

"Oh, sorry." I can feel my bravery leave me as a blush creeps into my cheeks. "Sorry if I woke you up, I uh, I was just looking for Levi."

"Oh, yeah sure, let me grab him." Linus gives me an easy smile now before leaving me standing there. I can hear him moving inside the suite but I try not to pay attention. That's just weird, right? I mean eavesdropping would be weird. I stand there, waiting, hoping that the fact that it's taking a minute is a good sign. But when Linus comes back to the door the dancing in my stomach turns to nerves. He looks confused and when he meets my eyes, I can't tell I'm not going to be happy with his news. "I'm sorry Charlotte. Levi's already asleep and a bit of a heavy sleeper."

He shrugs and I try to match his energy.

"Oh, no, no problem." I try to swallow but there's a lump of emotion in my throat. But I'm a princess. If there's one thing I'm good at, it's putting on a fake smile. So I do. "That's okay, thank you Linus, I appreciate you checking. Sorry again if I woke you up."

"Anytime Charlotte," Linus says and I can't tell if he's tired at this point or concerned. "Sleep well."

"Yeah." I force my smile to be a little brighter as I turn away. "Yeah, you too."

With every step I take, my stomach sinks further. I hope Linus was being truthful and Levi was asleep, but something keeps nagging at me. I know Levi is usually an early riser but— but nothing. The man was asleep, Charlotte. Move on. Not everyone is a hopeless romantic.

I'm in the middle of scolding myself when I almost run into a door. I swerve just in time to not be hit in the face and release a squeal.

"Charlotte!" Arms are around me, making sure I'm okay and I'm not surprised at all to find Ambrose there, checking on me. He looks down at me with a concerned expression. "Are you okay? I'm so sorry, I didn't see you there."

"I'm fine, Ambrose, I promise," I tell him, straightening but keeping a hand to my still beating heart. "You just surprised me, that's all."

"You surprised me," Ambrose admits as he straightens. He tilts his head, taking me in and I feel like he can read every emotion on my face. I try to put my princess mask back on but with Ambrose looking at me like that, I'm finding it more difficult than usual. "Charlotte, are you okay?"

"Yeah," I try for nonchalance and wave my hand in the air but I can't tell if he believes me or not. "Yeah, I just couldn't sleep so I thought I would walk a bit. I was just wandering."

I don't know why I lie, but I find that I don't want Ambrose to know that I came down here to see Levi. Or that I didn't get to see Levi.

"Are you ready to sleep now?" Ambrose asks and I feel like he's asking me about three other questions at once. I shake my head, not sure what answer he's looking for but apparently I give the right one. "Well, would you like some company on your late night wanderings?"

No. I want to go pout in my room, but that's not fair to Ambrose. So instead I smile. "That sounds nice, thank you, Ambrose."

He brightens and takes my hand in his. "Awesome. I was wandering around the other night, unable to sleep too, and have you ever seen the greenhouses at night? It's like a whole other world."

I let Ambrose lead me from the Selected hall and out into the night air. I hear him talking and I have to force myself to pay attention. It's not fair otherwise, to me or to him. Ambrose deserves for me to give him these moments and my attention. I deserve these moments and his attention.

... So why does it feel like the wrong hand leading the way?

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

171 21 21
I go to high school and work for my family. I decided to stay with my mom but ended up working for my family instead of going to England with my fath...
The Six By becks

Fanfiction

318 6 13
Thank you @ortolans for this beautiful cover! ♥︎ ⁂ When Prince Elliot Schreave of Illéa becomes...
95 21 9
When Aurora Wilder is selected to compete in Prince Thomas's Selection, the competition to win his heart (and the crown), it's fitting. She's despera...
459K 13.7K 39
(please note that this story has been rewritten and can be found under the name JUST FALL on my profile) 35 girls. 2 princes. The opportunity of a li...