Sparks Of Hope (Danganronpa U...

By infinitenazo

The Tragedy has brought the entire world down to its knees. Endless carnage and senseless violence and destru... More

Prologue Part One: Imprisonment
Prologue Part Two: Automatic Ursine Assault
Prologue Part Three: The Warriors Of Hope
Chapter 1: Arrival of the Genocider
Akira's Profile
Chapter 2: Formation
Chapter 3: Bombs Away!
Chapter 4: Explosive Hardships
Chapter 5: Monokuma Child Chase
Chapter 6: Duel Against The Demons
Chapter 7: Into The Subway
Chapter 8: Say Hello To Shirokuma!
Chapter 9: The Secret Base
Chapter 10: The Trouble With Towers
Chapter 11: Savage Sacrifices
Chapter 12: Sibling Contact
Chapter 13: The Dark Halls
Chapter 14: Ambush and Tension
Chapter 15: Crisis Outside The Cells
Chapter 16: Rescuing Komaru
Chapter 17: Please Leave The City
Chapter 19: High Expectations
Chapter 20: Back To The Base
Chapter 21: Hope Of The Adults
Chapter 22: The Ghost Of Towa
Chapter 23: Endgame
Chapter 24: History Of The Towa Family
Chapter 25: A Hope To Call Your Own
Epilogue: The Changing World We Made

Chapter 18: Servant Of Hope And Despair

197 6 0
By infinitenazo

(3rd Person's POV)

"Now listen, since I've planned the game out this far... I would like it to be completed." The Servant said. "Of course, perhaps I am being somewhat unfair to you two. Rather, the one who disappointed me was Toko."

"Huh?" Komaru wondered.

"Ugh!" Toko grunted as she felt a shiver go down her spine.

"Now perhaps I am mistaken, but I believe we made a promise. You were to escort them to headquarters." The Servant told her.

"Promise? E-Escort...? What are you talking about?" Komaru asked, looking nervous.

"..." Toko stayed silent, cursing herself.

"Oh, I really think it should be Toko who answers that question. But if you continue to be silent, the story cannot progress. So I will speak." The Servant offered as he began. "I made a deal with Toko. If she escorts you and Aki to the children's main base, I will release Byakuya Togami. Consider it exchanging hostages. The plan was to trade you two and Byakuya."

Komaru blinked, her face paling. "...What? What are you talking about?"

"..." Akira stayed silent, only furrowing her brows as she stared at the Servant.

"And it was such a good deal, too... Why did it have to come to this?" The Servant sighed in disappointment.

Komaru slowly shook her head in denial. "Th-That's a lie, right? You're lying right now, aren't you? You're just making it up..." She made a quick glance towards Toko.

"I...I don't think it is..." Akira mumbled. "He looks and sounds way too calm to be lying..."

"..." Toko grimly shut her eyes, trying her hardest to tune out the conversation.

"Ah, that's just how I usually am, Aki. But you are correct. Think back on how you three first met." The Servant continued. "When Komaru first arrived at the hospital on your parachute, did you know why Toko turned up there? She came to save you because she was told where you'd be landing. How else could you explain such a contrived encounter? Ah, and come to think of it...you also met Aki on that rooftop as well. I suppose you can thank me for that as well, since I had a hand in breaking her out of her prison."

"You...what...?" Akira stared at him in confusion.

"I also made sure to have you break out right around the time the riots in Towa City happened so that you would meet Komaru and Toko in time. All of that by pure chance... Heh, my luck sure does wonders..." The Servant lightly chuckled before moving on. "Anyway, the reason Toko has been your companions through all of this is because of her deal with me."

"L-Lies! You're lying..." Komaru felt a cold sweat roll down her face.

"..." Toko twitched.

"I went through considerable trouble making sure you would complete this little game. Returning the Hacking Gun you had lost, having the Monokuma Kids deliver items... That was me." The Servant revealed. "Consider it "game balance," as they say. You've thought about it before, I'm sure. Why enemies conveniently drop items, why the path you must travel on to advance is always clear... The game began as a way for the children to have fun, but it was also a game to help you grow. And I am the one who made it that way."

"Wh-Why me...?" Komaru whimpered.

"Hm? You mean, why was I so particular about choosing you? Well, that is all your brother's fault, of course." The Servant answered nonchalantly.

"Makoto?"

"He defeated Junko Enoshima, the one I truly hate... And I wasn't there to witness it. Sure, I suppose that achievement could also go to Aki's older sister, but unlike her, Makoto Naegi stood hopeful to the very end, never once letting despair defile his psyche. That's why, this time around... I wanted to see the action up close. And not only that. Unlike him, an Ultimate, you are a normal girl who can't do anything..." The Servant made a subtle scowl before returning to her soft smile. "That was particularly compelling. Her brother, a hero, the Symbol of Hope. The little sister, utterly boring by comparison... If someone like you were to stand against despair...that would bring hope to the people. Hope is exclusively found on the side of the weak. The losing side. People are touched by underdog stories. Slaying Goliath, the weaker team winning a game... The majority of society is made up of the weak and untalented. They are inspired by such tales..."

"Wh-What are you saying?" Komaru asked, taking an apprehensive step back, unnerved by the man's rambling.

"If my assumptions are correct... You will release a light even brighter than his." The Servant predicted. "And in order for that to happen, I need you to participate in my game. Through the game, you will grow, defeat the Final Boss, and become the hope for this town. That's why it would be quite disappointing if you give up halfway through." His eyes darkened as he let out an unsettling laugh. "Please! Save this town from despair! Show me your dazzling light of hope to crush despair!"

"What do you mean? I'm...hope? I don't understand what you mean at all..." Komaru muttered, taking another step back.

The Servant sighed. "Ah, I see, so you still don't understand. I blame myself, I should have been more enthusiastic. But regardless... I truly do believe in you." He assured her as he grinned, his eyes darkening once more. "No matter how big the despair... Hope will always win in the end. That is why I feel no remorse becoming despair myself."

"Y-You're just as crazy as those kids... You must be insane!" Komaru cried.

The Servant let out a soft chuckle. "Who cares about me? The more important thing is what you three are going to do now. I mean, now that Toko's lie has been uncovered..." He glanced at the girl.

Komaru turned to Toko with a pleading look. "Toko... Please, just tell me the truth..."

"..." Toko didn't answer.

"What he's saying, it's a lie...right? That me and Aki are...gonna be traded for Byakuya... And you've been lying this whole time... That's... That's got to be a lie, right?" Komaru placed her hands in front of her chest.

"..." Toko turned her head away from them.

"Toko...?" Akira turned her gaze to her.

"..."

"Answer us, Toko!" Komaru shouted, finally losing her patience.

Finally, Toko spun around and pointed a harsh finger at them. "Wh-Who would actually want to save someone like you!? Of course it's not a lie!"

"What...?" Komaru widened her eyes, feeling her heart drop into her stomach.

"All this time I was protecting you and cheering you up...  It was all for the sake of Master Byakuya!" Toko proclaimed.

"Toko..."

"That's right. I was deceiving you. And you just kept relying on me! "Toko, Toko!" Trusting me like an idiot... It's your fault." Toko said, though she refused to look them in the eye.

"Dammit..." Akira clenched her hand around her arm.

"I... I believed in you..." Komaru said, looking and sounding hurt and betrayed.

"W-Well you shouldn't have done that!" Toko raised her voice, clenching her fist. "Why would you believe in me!? I have a split personality with a serial killer! I'm abnormal! A-All my life, nobody...even tried to trust me. It's always been like that. That's why...I've never had a problem lying to people." She looked up at them, tears pouring from her eyes. "But regardless, why do you believe in someone like me!?"

"Toko..." Komaru whispered as Akira tightened the grip on her arm, trying her best not to cry.

"From the very start, I hated both of you! Just being with you was insufferable!" Toko scowled.

Komaru shook her head in denial. "Lies... It's all lies..."

"I'm not lying! It's the truth!" Toko countered. "I tricked you from the start! You were a fool not to realize it! You're just a stupid idiot who got set up by the coward Toko Fukawa! Simple as that!"

"Ah, Toko... Don't you think that maybe your ranting isn't helping...?" The Servant asked, now standing on the stairs of the shrine. "If you put it like that, they will be even more motivated to leave you behind, will they not? If you want to stop them, you've got to try harder. Byakuya is important to you, right?"

Toko grunted, but silently nodded. "...Guess there's no other way... By force if I have to..."

"...Force?" Komaru repeated as Toko took out her stun gun and aimed towards her head.

She pulled the trigger as she switched into Genocide Jill, who let out her signature cackle. "Gotta kiiilll! Kill kill kill! I got not choice, I gotta start the slicin'!"

"T-Toko!?" Komaru exclaimed.

"Ah...crapbaskets..." Akira muttered, though this time, she actually looked scared, a blue shadow cast on her forehead.

---

"Ah... She lost consciousness." The Servant pointed out as Toko laid on the floor motionless while Komaru and Akira was panting.

Komaru approached her. "Toko..."

"Hey, are you okay...?" Akira asked.

Toko groaned. "Oh...I lost consciousness... That means... I must have lost. I-If that's the case, I can't stop you guys now. Hurry up and run..."

"..." Komaru just stared down at her, not moving.

"Wh-What are you doing!? If you don't hurry, next time I really will take you by force." Toko warned.

"...You did it on purpose, didn't you? You lost on purpose."

"...Huh?"

"You lost on purpose, so you can let us go. Right? Saying cruel things to us, and attacking me and Aki without warning... It was an act, wasn't it? So that we wouldn't hesitate to leave you here."

"Wh-What are you talking about? Why would you think that?"

Komaru let out a annoyed growl. "Don't treat me like an idiot! I already know you're much stronger than we are! We've all been together all this time!"

"..." Toko looked away from her in shame.

"Toko...why did you do it...?" Akira looked down at her.

"...I-If things stayed the same, you never would have made a move, would you? You always made me decide. Aki never decides and goes with whatever we choose. You didn't do anything on your own." Toko said. 

"So you...wanted to give us a chance...?" Komaru guessed.

"I was with you both all this time, y'know. I... I know you well, too..." Toko admitted before shifting her eyes to the Servant. "And also, listening to this crazy idiot's orders just makes my skin crawl... "Hope"... It sounds disgusting when you say it."

The Servant chuckled. "Well, that is completely understandable. But are you really okay with this...? If Miss Komaru and Akira runs away, the safety of the hostage cannot be guaranteed..."

"..." Toko let out a sigh.

"Well, personally, if it's for the sake of the game... Byakuya Togami is important to you, is he not? Then allow me to lend a hand." The Servant walked over to her, holding a bottle of pepper. "See? You'll still make it if you go now." He shook the bottle, the pepper landing on Toko.

Toko tried covering her nose, but in was in vain as her nose twitched.

"Toko!" Komaru cried.

"Don't come near me! Both of you! Run!" Toko ordered, though it sounded like a begging plead as her head arched back. "Achoo!"

She sneezed as she switched with Genocide Jill, who crazily grinned as she jumped into the air before landing. "Tadaaa!" She sang. "Don't get your blood on my glasses! I'm the Cinderella of the slaughter flower garden! Kyeeehahaha!"

"Please... please stop!" Komaru sobbed as she stared in horror.

"Damn it... Not again!" Akira said.

Genocide Jill rushed the girls, her razor-sharp scissors at the ready.

SLASH!

The girls closed their eyes, bracing for impact. But the impact never came.

"...Huh?" Komaru and Akira opened their eyes to see a small gush of blood erupt from the Servant's thighs.

"...Huh?" The Servant blinked in confusion.

"Blabbity-blah-blah-blah-blah-bleh-blah-bleh! Shut the hell up, you lanky wavy-haired bastard!" Genocide Jill glared. 

"Ah, alright. Even though you two share knowledge, you don't share memories, correct? So then, you have no idea who the real enemy is." The Servant assumed. "An honest mistake, I sup-"

"Idiot! It's no mistake." Genocide Jill spat as she explained. "What I share with her isn't just knowledge... she and I also share... emotions. If we didn't, there's no way we'd both love Master. And my emotions are telling me this: To kill you and let Dekomaru and Babyface escape!" She smirked. "And you're something of a pretty boy yourself... so I can kill you as I like... no remorse!"

"Ah, I see. So you've decided to stop taking advantage of Komaru Naegi and Akira Shirayuki. Is that friendship?" The Servant wondered.

Genocide Jill froze. "...Huh?"

"To travel the harsher path for the sake of protecting your friend. Such beautiful friendship." The Servant admired. "I truly think it's a splendid thing. But... aren't you a serial killer? You're an aberrant who has no problem taking lives to satiate your own lusts. For someone like that to... say things like friendship and friends, do you not find it strange? Or even shameful?"

Genocide Jill looked at him for a moment and snickered before it turned into full-on laughter. "Kyeeehahaha! I can't breathe! Friendship! Friends! Kyeeehahaha!" She suddenly stopped as she growled at the Servant. "Who're you calling my friend!"

She gripped the top of his hair raised one of her scissors into the air to strike him, but a hand gripped her arm.

"No... you're my friend!" Komaru yelled. "You're our friend!"

"What're you doing? Let go!" Genocide Jill tried to shake her off, but Komaru's grip was strong.

"No, I won't! I mean, you made a promise with Byakuya, right?"

"Huh? A promise...?" Akira tilted her head.

"She told me this before we met you." Komaru explained before turning to Jill. "You said, you won't kill anyone anymore. If you keep your promise, you can be an official member of Future Foundation. That's why you... you just can't! I never thought of... of you or Toko as abnormal, not even one bit. You're just a little strange, that's all. And even so, you are important to us! You, Aki, and I are friends now, no matter what happens!" Tears appeared in the corner of her eyes. "You're a precious friend and I won't let you do this!"

"You know... you're probably wasting your time." The Servant spoke up. I mean, after all, she knows she needs to kill me. Byakuya's life is in danger as long as I'm alive. If she breaks the promise we made and lets you escape..."

Komaru looked at Genocide Jill for a moment before pursing her lips at looking down at the Servant. "...I'll stay. If that's how it is..." She turned to Akira. "That okay with you, Aki?"

Akira looked at her in confusion for a moment before her face lit up in realization. "...Oh! So that's what you plan to do. If that's the case, sure thing." She nodded in agreement.

Komaru nodded back before turning to Genocide Jill. "If we stay in this city and go with her, then it's fine, right?"

Genocide Jill grunted, finally releasing the grip Komaru had on her. "Hey! Do you know what the hell you're talking about? You were crying and whining about escaping earlier, remember? Now what? Did you change your mind?"

"I still want to escape! I'm still scared! Even now! But you feel the same way, don't you? You were scared too, but you tried to help me escape, and hid how afraid you really were inside, didn't you? There's no way I can run now, leaving you behind!"

"As expected... you just don't get it." Genocide Jill spoke lowly as she aimed a razor-sharp scissor at her throat. "I betrayed you. I betrayed both of you, you know?"

Komaru shook her head. "No... no, you didn't. And you're suffering from guilt, aren't you? If you're hurting...you can tell me. I'm an unreliable, normal girl who can't do anything." She made a teary-eyed smile. "But... I can at least do normal things, right? And it's normal for a friend to help a friend." She stared at her with a determined expression. "I'll stay. No matter how much you say no. I will definitely stay with you, alright? I've... decided."

Genoicde Jill looked at her for a moment before groaning, moving the scissor away from her. "Man, so annoying. All that lip-service talk that I hate, so damn irritating. Anybody can just say something." She rolled her eyes. "In that case, I'm a great detective, an astronaut, a reporter, and a super-beauty! And besides... you two have absolutely no idea what I'm really like."

"What do you mean?" Akira inquired.

"...There's no way I'd say no."

"Huh?" Komaru wondered.

Genocide Jill didn't turn to them as she begrudingly mumbled. "....Rather... thanks."

Komaru's face lit up with happiness. "Toko!"

Genocide Jill turned to smile at her, but she twitched as her head arched back again. "Achoo!"

She sneezed as she switched back into Toko. "...Oh. So... um... about what just happened..." Komaru trailed off.

Toko smirked, shaking her head. "It... it's alright. I kinda figured out what was happening."

"Huh? Really?"

"F-Friend? The last time I was called that... was in a dream I had in grade school." Toko recalled.

"Jeez, that's depressing..." Akira sweatdropped.

"Well, you're actually one of many friends that I have, so, you don't have to take it that seriously..." Komaru chuckled.

"You bring that up now? Let me have this moment a bit longer, jeez!" Toko folded her arms.

"Well, if it makes you feel any better Toko, I don't have that many friends, either..." Akira chimed in.

Toko huffed, but made a small smile at her. "...I-I guess I'll take that. Thanks..."

"Well... guess it turned out alright." The Servant chuckled. Even though he still felt the pain of having his thighs slashed open, it didn't seem to bother him too much. "If Komaru Naegi and Akira Shirayuki had run away, the hope of this city would've gone with them... To prevent that... A wound like this will not diminish my resolve. ...Though it does hurt."

"It doesn't sound like it hurts..." Akira muttered.

Toko walked up to him, a demanding look in her eyes. "It's time you started talking. How do we release Master Byakuya?"

"All you have to do is defeat the Final Boss. You save the princess after defeating the Final Boss, right? ...In theory." The Servant cryptically explained.

"In theory...?" Komaru repeated, requesting him to elaborate more.

"I was not the only one who came up with the plan to take you to the children's base. I have a partner... But I'm not sure what they are planning, to be honest." The Servant mentioned.

"Wh-Who is that...?" Toko asked.

The Servant shook his head. "There's no way I would tell you that. l have... already been disqualified from the game." He soon perked up and made an easygoing smile. "But it'll be alright. No matter what kind of despair awaits you, hope will overcome it. The deeper and darker the despair...the brighter and more powerful the hope born from it."

"...You're a strange man." Akira said. "Or boy. Or...however old you are."

Toko groaned in annoyance. "You are seriously disgusting... You're like three steps below vomit in a toilet."

"Anyway, all you need to do is progress forward. I will support you until the very end." The Servant assured them.

"So in order to get back Byakuya, we need to stop the children's rioting, right? Then... I'll do it. There's no other choice." Komaru said. "Right, Toko?"

"B-But...are you sure you can do this?" Toko asked, sounding concerned.

"There's no way I can accept leaving you behind. Thanks to you and Aki, I've come this far..." Komaru beamed. "And not just that... Maybe I'm not really attached to this town, but I will save my friend."

"If that's what you guys plan to do...then I guess I'll follow you. A friend does whatever it takes to make their friends happy, right?" Akira made a small smile.

"Y-You guys..." Toko blushed.

"Oh, and one more thing..." The Servant added. "I have a hint for you. The building the children are using as a headquarters is called "Towa Hills." Marching in there with just the three of you would be a bit...suicidal. Monokumas have dug in all around Towa Hills. Even you three would have trouble with that many."

"Then what do we need to do!?" Toko demanded, getting irritated.

"Well...we could ask for help. From Shirokuma and Haiji." Komaru suggested.

"Their help?" Toko looked at her confused.

"I'm okay with Shirokuma, but do we really have to ask help from the guy who locked us in a cell?" Akira asked.

"Oh, come on now, he was just paranoid." Komaru gave her a dismissive hand wave. " Besides, they want to stop the children as much as we do! Shirokuma said it too. If we work together, everyone can be saved, and everyone's happy. Right?"

Akira sighed. "Fiiine..."

"Wh-What? Where did that come from? Now's not the time for heroics!" Toko exclaimed.

"But I think all of us can do it! It's going to be alright." Komaru smiled, her face shining with optimism.

"Ah, such splendid growth..." The Servant smiled. "Your world has gradually grown wider... As expected of his little sister. My judgment was indeed correct."

"..." Toko stayed silent.

"Ah, that reminds me. The Resistance base is in the sewers underground, correct? In that case, there should be an entrance to the subway if you go through the business district. As I recall, there was a blue building... If you move through there, you'll reach the base."

Toko raised an eyebrow, looking suspicious. "You're sending us on a pretty specific path. Is this also part of your scheme?"

"I would prefer that you think of it as "support." It is information that will help you..." The Servant pointed out.

"Well, it doesn't matter what you're scheming. Master, Aki, and Komaru... I'll protect them all. Even if it takes my life." Toko promised with a determined look in her eyes.

"..." Komaru stared down at the Servant. Even after all this, she still doesn't know what to think of this hope-obsessed guy...

"...Do your best. Defeat despair." The Servant waved to them as the girls walked off. "That's it... just a little longer. Just a little longer, and that light of hope will swallow the despair of this place. Ahahaha... I can't wait!" He smiled.

Suddenly, a shadow appeared over the Servant. He looked over his shoulder to see a giant robot. Looking closer, he saw Nagisa piloting it, an angry scowl on his face that was directed straight at the Servant.

The Servant just looked calmly before chuckling. "Heh... So upset over something like this. You really are a child."

Chapter 18: End

To be continued...?

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

53.9K 1K 10
The Four Dark Devas of Destruction are watching you. This story plays during the events of Danganronpa, Super Danganronpa 2 and a tiny bit of Danganr...
47K 1K 17
Y/N L/N the Ultimate Assassin, woke up on a strange Island and was forced into a killing game. On this strange Island she meets Nagito Komaeda the Ul...
2.7K 58 19
Hajime isn't sure what to do. Run? Fight? Despair? Hope? Nothing is as it seems. Who is your friend? Who is your foe. In this world, only Monokuma wi...
842 77 15
It's been a cheery month in the Ultimate Academy for Gifted Juveniles. By cheery, I mean no one is dead yet. Unfortunately for the ultimates, Monokum...