Rags To Royals (Royal #1: Boo...

By SkWookie

Secret: The most fatal weapon of the mankind. But careful, for it depends on whether you're capable of wieldi... More

Copyright
Aesthetics
A/N
0
Prologue
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
29
30
31
32
33
34
35
36
37
38
39
40
41
42
43
44
45
46
47
48
49
50
51
52
53
54
55
56
57
58
59
60
61
62
63
64
65
66
67
68
69
70

28

25.6K 1.9K 854
By SkWookie

a celebration treat because we finished RTR on Scrollstack with 2,46,000 word count. An achievement indeed.

The next will be on Christmas. So don't expect any before that.

-• an invitation •-

"So, how was your first day at school?" Dad inquires curiously during dinner.

"Good." I answer shortly.

"Nothing interesting happened?" Vivaan leans in, looking at me with intrigue.

"He says he's happy to meet you in a more friendly setting."

A smile slips on my lips before I can stop it. When I realise the attention it brings me, I quickly stop smiling and shift my focus to my food.

"What is it?" Yuvaan piques up with interest.

"Nothing," I shake my head.

"You smiled when Vivaan asked if something interesting happened," Dad points out.

I sigh through my mouth. I swear I've got the nosiest family in the world. Can't they just let go when I'm clearly not comfortable enough to share the details with them? Especially when none of them have no intention to give me romantic liberation in my personal life.

My fleeting crush on my senior is better left as a secret. With time it'll fade anyway. I had feelings for Sam so strong I seriously thought I'll be heartbroken after that kiss, but nothing of that sort happened. Maybe I'm just prone to handsome guys. I can't resist them.

"This better not be about Atharva," Agastya grits out, successfully erasing the fond smiles on everyone's faces.

"Atharva?" Vivaan frowns at me.

I avoid meeting his eyes.

"Who's this Atharva?" Yuvaan demands, the hostility in his tone seeping through his words.

I clench the fork in my hand, shooting daggers at Agastya who holds my glare strongly. I scoff and look away from him, swallowing automatically when my eyes clash with the icy cold onyx ones.

"It's not him!" I lie quickly. "I'm happy because I made a new friend!"

"Name?"

"Anagha,"

"Isn't that Atharva's sister?" Arush perks up.

I breathe out in frustration but maintain my cool. "Is she? I didn't know."

"Really?" Agastya tilts his head to the side pointedly.

"Yes, really." I stress out the words. "Ayush had to be at the chess club for his competition and Arush here did everything but help me on my first day at the school. Anagha helped with the directions to the teacher staffroom." That was enough for the remaining five brothers to look at Arush in disappointment. I relax back smugly.

Take that.

"I- Uh, I had my essay -"

"Didn't I tell you not to leave her alone?" Agastya narrows his eyes in slits.

"Well, she's not a kid that I need to babysit her!" He throws his hands in the air helplessly.

"See! This was his attitude throughout the day. So I took help from the first person who willingly offered it to me. Anagha showed me to the staffroom and then even waited for me outside patiently. I like her. I want to be friends with her. I already miss Janet so much. Do I've to check if someone has a brother or a boyfriend before making friends with them, Dad?" I look at my father feigning a pitiful look.

He shakes his head. "No, if she's nice, be friends with her."

"Who's this Atharva though?" Yuvaan questions. He can't just let it go, can he?

"My friend." Agastya answers. "I think she likes him."

I scoff. "If I just look at the opposite gender for more than one second, you guys instantly assume I like them. I'm still not over Sam." I add the lie casually.

Vivaan sighs in disappointment while Yuvraaj shakes his head.

"It's honestly so unfair how you guys treat each other than how you treat me!" I remark bluntly. "Just because I'm a girl I'm not allowed to make guy friends?"

"Yes." Yuvraaj answers.

I open my mouth to counter his words when he raises his hand. I fall silent in defeat.

"I said it before and I'll say it again. You'll not surround yourself with guys that I don't approve of."

"And where are the guys that you approve of?" I ask sarcastically.

"Here," he stretches his hand in the direction of my five brothers.

I roll my eyes. "Well, why not the same rules for them? Why can't they surround themselves with the girls that you approve of?" I argue.

He pinches the bridge of his nose.

Right, when someone speaks sense, act frustrated.

"Because we're men," Agastya states.

I make a sour face at him. "You seriously believe that's a valid argument?" I ask him, concerned for his future. "And you expect him to take law?" I look at Yuvraaj in disbelief.

Surprising us, Dad's the first one to snicker at my statement. He clears his throat and mumbles an apology before picking up the glass of water to take a sip.

"Girls are easier to manipulate -"

"Bullshit." I cut him off angrily.

"Taranya," he says sternly. "Don't cut me off."

I resist the urge to roll my eyes at him.

"You're young, still sixteen. World outside is far more scarier than what you're aware of. Why do you think Dad and I reached there immediately after you sent us that email?" He asks rhetorically. "Do you know what I went through when he told us about your existence? I felt incapable and powerless. Before the realisation could even sink in that I've a sister somewhere out there, my first thought was how to bring you back here safe. I've spent more than half of my life protecting my siblings. And you Taranya, you're the weakest link of all. So think bad of me if you want. Hate me, swear at me. But do not cross me. Do not defy me. I'd rather have you hate me for the rest of your life than watch you making stupid decision for something as illusionary as love and ruin your life for someone who would never deserve you."

I blink uncomfortably and slouch in my seat, unable to refute his words or form a coherent reply. It's not that he said something extremely heartwarming or sweet. No, he was still rude about it, but indirectly so, he still confessed he cares for me, wants to protect me, not for the sake of his reputation, not because the world has eyes on us, but because he truly wants to be there for me.

"Alright," Vivaan begins, his tone light as he tries to dissipate the thick tension. "Let's not bring up boys until our little star turn legal, okay?"

"Twenty max," Agastya putforths his unwanted opinion.

I exhale heavily.

"What? No, twenty is still young. At least twenty two." Yuvaan joins the cult.

I hear Dad chuckle and nudge him on the elbow. I'm here being threatened with the fate of virgin mary and he's seeking fun from my miseries.

"Twenty five." Yuvraaj picks up a chapati and puts it in his plate.

"Bhai!" I cry out in horror.

"Twenty six?" He looks up at me nonchalantly.

"I can't believe you." I shake my head.

"Twenty seven, then." He shrugs.

"Fine. I give up." I undo my fists helplessly. "God, I hope none of you find the love of your life. If I'm dying alone, you guys are too."

"That's a good idea." Ayush chuckles. "When we all grow old, let's buy a farmhouse on some hill station and adopt lots of cats."

"Dogs." Yuvaan corrects.

"No, cats." Ayush insists stubbornly. "I want a Bengal cat and a Persian cat.'

"Persian as in the one from Stuart Little?" Arush smiles in excitement.

"Yes!" I nod at him.

"I love those breeds!" He says sounding hyped.

"They are so fun. One of my old friends had it. She was so damn cute!" I gush, reminiscing the old memories fondly.

"What was her name?" Ayush asks me.

"Snowbell. The same from the Stuart Little." I tell him.

That's how we divert from the school topic, diving into a completely different one, but I'm not complaining. Anything to get everyone's mind off Atharva and my possible interest in the guy.

After dinner, we retire to our respective rooms. I instantly call Janet, desperate to tell her about my first day at the school. She can give me a good advice about this whole Atharva scenario.

"Wait wait wait, so you're telling me there's a guy you like in school? On your first day? Wow, you're fast." She whistles at me.

"I mean, not like like him. As in I don't have this huge crush on him. Or I'm not head over heels with him. But he's handsome. And I think.... I might be wrong," I make it clear. "That he's interested in me too."

"You guys are going way too fast." She shakes her head.

"Oh, c'mon. It's not like we declared our feelings to each other the moment we met. I just felt it from the way he looks at me." I try to explain her. "You know, when I found him talking to Anagha-"

"Right, your new friend." She air quotes the word friend, sounding bitter.

"She's just a classmate. Not even a friend as of now. And don't be jealous. You're my only best friend. And you'll always be one."

She nods, pretending to believe me. I sigh in defeat but don't push the matter any further.

"Anyway, so when I found him talking to Anagha and being all friendly to her, I thought he's in a relationship with her. But then he pushed her to introduce us when we already know each other. It's like he wanted me to know Anagha is his sister." I put my theory in words.

"Tara, Tara, Tara!" She tries to slow down my faster than bullet imagination. "Please, let's not make assumptions. It's clear that you've got a crush on him but let's not assume he does too, okay? Let's take it slow. Let him make the first move and if he does, keep testing the waters. And most important of all, be careful. We don't want the repeat of Tarun. You've enough regrets on your conscience." She looks at me seriously, her tone assertive.

"Yeah, don't worry. I'm not even thinking of acting on my feelings. If anything, I'm going to avoid the guy as much as I can until my crush fades. You know how it is."

"Fleeting."

"Exactly. I don't even think of Sam that often now."

"Neither does he. He's already got a girl."

I shrug. "See, that's what I'm talking about. If I wait a little more, it'll wear off with time."

"Just don't get the guy in trouble because of your stubbornness, alright?"

I roll my eyes. "I'm not stubborn."

"Oh, you are. And therefore, I'm scared more for him than you." She says bluntly.

"You're a true friend, aren't you?" I mock her.

She nods with a fake smile.

We stay online for another hour before she has to go finish her pending assignment. That reminds me, I also have multiple completion to do. Thankfully, Anagha lent me her Science journal so I've something to start with. After we hang up, I gravitate towards my study desk and turn on the laptop, putting my Spotify playlist on shuffle as I grab my pencil case and books from the backpack.

I start with the diagrams first.

There are so many of them, and neither of them are easy. Well except for the amoeba and mitochondria ones. I think biology is my favourite among all the science subjects. And the best part is, biology diagrams are like art. You've curves and strokes and shades. There's so much to explore. But all chemistry and physics has is bonds, apparatus images, chemical reactions, concave convex, prism, equations and shit. It's hard and it's boring. The worst combination.

After two hours of cramming diagrams on the blank pages, I decide to take a small break. My feet automatically move towards the chest of drawers filled with snacks. I grab the packet of energy bar and a flavoured yoghurt from the mini fridge.

I balter across the room to the songs playing on the laptop, eating my energy bar and a spoonful of cold yoghurt that manages to give me a brain freeze.

Thirty minutes later, I'm back to my desk to write the practical readings and observations.

I don't remember when I fall asleep but when I wake up, it's already five thirty. Not having the strength to get up and walk to the door, I push my chair closer to the door and open it. Agastya flinches back at my sight.

"Yeh kya chudail banke ghum rahi ho subah subah?" He gasps with his hand on his chest.

"Huh?"

"You look like a chudail. A witch!" He translates.

"Oh," I scratch my head through the bird's nest that essentially used to be my hair once upon a time. "I don't remember when I fell asleep. But I finished the journal." I smile at him proudly.

"Go to sleep. But no excuses tomorrow." He warns me.

I nod at him obediently.

He leans in, looking scared or disgusted, I don't know. But hesitantly closes the door, to help me or to protect his eyes, I don't know. All I know is I'm getting more sleep and I can't be more grateful. So without wasting anymore time, I reduce the temperature to chill the room further and dive inside the warm blanket, falling asleep in no time.

I wake up at seven forty five, thanks to Agastya who pounds on my door after his run until I open the door.

"Get ready for school." He commands.

I nod in response and close the door.

It takes me an hour to get ready and by the time I'm done, my brothers are waiting for me in the living room. Ayush hands me a garlic bread sandwich to compensate for breakfast while the maid stuffs a tiffin box in my bag and we head out of the palace. A driver brings Agastya's car to the front and gives him the keys. I occupy the front seat while the twins settle in the back and we drive to school.

This time around I'm less taken aback by the majestic opulence of my school and just absorb in the view surrounding it. I like how this city is so developed but still so in tuned with the nature. Though I'm not really a big fan of the climatic conditions here. It's kinda hot in the day and extremely cold in the night. And it doesn't snow here. Something that I'm going to miss terribly about England. Because I love snow.

We reach the school parking lot and Agastya parks in the same spot from yesterday. This must be his own parking spot. I step out of the car along with my brothers and feel relieved that the eyes following me are lesser than yesterday.

Agastya doesn't trust Arush and Ayush with me today. So when we cross paths with Atharva, despite his pleasant smile my way, I simply nod in response.

"I'll see you in the field later. And tell Arjun to give me a call." Agastya says briefly.

Atharva nods at him, glancing at me one last time before he forces a smile at the twins and walks off.

Don't look back.

I almost struggle to keep my head straight.

It's a crush. A crush.

Agastya escorts me directly to my seat in the classroom. Then he forces Arush in his regular seat and warns him to not leave me alone before exiting the class. Ayush drops his backpack on the seat next to mine.

"I'll be back after the short recess." He informs me.

I nod and watch him leave. My eyes shift to Anagha since she's closer to the door and our gazes meet. She smiles and waves at me. I wave back before looking away to grab her science journal from my backpack. I zip close the bag and walk up to her.

"Here, thank you so much."

"You're already done?" She asks me in a pleasant surprise.

"Yeah, I stayed up late last night."

She nods and stuffs her journal in the backpack before fishing out a thick file from inside. "This is history project. We were told to write a thorough report of minimum twenty pages on one of the popular Indian monuments. Mine's already checked so you can copy it. The teacher won't know."

"Really?"

She nods with a smile.

"Oh my God, thank you so much!" I take it from her and flip through the report. "Thank you!" I say again.

She shrugs. "Just don't share it with anyone else, please."

"You've my word. I'll return this to you tomorrow."

"No worries, take your time." She blinks at me in reassurance.

I retreat to my room excitedly and plop down.

"What is it?" Arush asks curiously.

"History Project." I answer.

His eyes turn wide and he leans over my desk. "Can I have it too?"

"In your dreams. Find someone else to help you." I hug the report close to my chest.

"Tara, please." He begs. "The deadline is this Friday and I haven't even started."

"Sounds like a you problem," I smile sarcastically before shoving the project in my backpack.

"Bitch," he mutters under his breath but I hear it.

"I'm going to tell Yuvraaj Bhai you called me the B word."

He lets out a derisive scoff and turns to face the blackboard when our English teacher walks in.

Time passes by excruciatingly slow. Why is it that when you're in school, even a minute feels like an hour but when you're home, time ditches you like you're on a first horrible date with each other.

When lunch break begins, I step out of the boys' circle and walk up to the girls group expectantly. Anagha immediately smiles and makes space for me.

"I was just about to invite you," she tells me.

I simper at her and open my tiffin box, revealing salad, rice, lentil soup, chapati and soyabean curry. Everyone else follow the suit and I take a glimpse of what they brought for lunch.

As we eat, Anagha introduces me to her two best friends. Revathi and Kusum. They don't make me feel like an outsider. Surprisingly, we gel well. Revathi's family is into real estate while Kusum's family have several shopping malls and resorts across India. Anagha, on the other hand comes from a family of respectable lawyers. So in short, all of them are sick rich.

My thoughts halt abruptly when a familiar figure steps through door from the busy corridor. I nudge Anagha on her arm, my eyes already locked with her brother's before I quickly look down and pretend to be busy by taking out the curry leaves from the lentil soup.

"Ha, Bhai?"

I guess he's making the hand signs to communicate.

"House keys? Why?"

She waits again.

"Really? You forgot your assignment book? So typical of you, Bhai." She snorts and digs through her backpack, handing him the house keys that jiggle with the keychain. "Return my copy of keys to me after you come back." She orders him sternly.

I lift my head when he leaves.

"Are his vocal chords not getting any better?" Kusum asks worriedly.

"Wait, he can speak?" I ask in surprise.

Anagha hums. "Two years ago he had this terrible accident that damaged his vocal chords. We tried everything but nothing worked. He can whisper words but even that brings him so much pain it's enough to make him cry. So we learned sign language for him. It's easier to communicate now. Initially, he used to get so frustrated and his mental health was deteriorating too, but now it's better. And we even have a little hope that maybe someday his voice will come back." She smiles wistfully.

"Oh, he went through so much." I say sympathetically. "But I'm sure he'll speak again. Maybe one day."

"One day," she nods with a smile. "C'mon, let's finish our tiffin. Lunch break is about to be over."

I retrieve to my seat after lunch and the lectures resumes.

I've already got my updated schedule that tells me which subject I've to wait back for extra hours on which days. So according to my new time table, I've physics today. Great. Fuck my life.

When the school finishes, I head to the staffroom while my brothers go to their practice. We decide to meet at the front of the school at six.

"Taranya," the science teacher gets up from her chair upon seeing me, two books and a notebook in her hands. "Here, take this to Sirius. Private room number two. I'll be there in a minute." I nod and carry her stuff to library.

The room is nothing extravagant. It has a ceiling fan, a desk with two chairs, a window and a CCTV camera. I place her stuff on the desk and sit down on the chair. The teacher comes a few minutes later, smiling at me as she closes the door before occupying the empty seat. We start right away.

We cram up first three chapters of Physics in two hours without a break. I feel a little overloaded with all the stuff shoved in my head but her simple explanations and real life examples makes it easier for to remember them. Also, most of it is similar to what I learned back in England so it's not that difficult. She also gives me her personally made notes to make a copy of and keep it to myself.

At six fifteen, I wait patiently in the entrance corridor of the school for my brothers. Ayush comes first and bores me with his intelligence. Telling me what moves he made to beat his opponent in the chess. Except for the fact that the chess board have two colors, black and white and that King is only able to walk one step at a time, I know nothing about chess. Arush appears next, his hair wet from the recently shower, wearing blue shorts and a tshirt of school emblem he must have replaced his uniform with for basketball. When Agastya comes, we waste no time in walking out of the school. Since it's beginning to get colder, I take out my sweater and wear it on top of my uniform. Agastya drives his car to the front of the school and we all pile in.

Upon reaching home, I quickly change into something comfortable and bury myself in finishing the history project before I'm called for dinner at eight.

"Good evening," I wish my brothers and Dad.

"How was school?" Vivaan asks with a smile.

"I'm absolutely frazzled right now." I pull back the chair to sit in.

"Why?" Dad questions.

"I stayed up so late last night to finish my science journal. Then I had two hours worth extra lecture for physics today. And now I'm halfway through my history project. I didn't even get time to breath freely, Dad." I pout at him.

"Aw, my little star," he drops a kiss on my forehead and fills my plate for me. I thank him with a smile and quickly dig in.

"Good that you're making efforts to catch up with your studies," Yuvraaj says, catching me by surprise.

Is that a compliment, big brother?

"I don't want to fail and bring shame to your reputation." I tell him seriously but there's amusement lingering in my tone.

Everyone else laughs while he sighs and looks down at his plate.

The lightness in the room disappears when there's a knock on the doors. Yuvraaj allows a maid to open them. A guard steps through with a beautiful basket in his hands, filled with all sorts of Indian sweets and decorated with colorful blooms. He walks inside and places it right in front of me.

"Who sent this?" Yuvraaj inquires.

"It came from Rajawat Estate, your highness."

Before I can take a deeper look at the basket, Yuvraaj leans in and plucks out the card stashed between two sweets boxes.

"What is it?" Vivaan asks softly.

Yuvraaj waves his hand at the guard in a dismissal. Once the door closes, he looks up at us.

"An invitation for Tara to spend the weekend at Rajawat Estate." He reveals.

My brows shoot up in surprise.

"What the hell?" Agastya is the first to overcome his shock.

"Who sent it?"

Yuvraaj tosses the invitation harshly on the table, frustration clear on his face as his jaw clenches tightly.

"Who else?" Vivaan picks up the card and reads through it. "The Chairman."

Ooh, seems like no one's happy with the invitation.

Hope you enjoyed the chapter. Don't forget to vote and comment. Makes my day.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.3M 69.4K 57
(Not edited - Complete) ****** Being the daughter in law of the richest family in the country is a status many desire, but how is it to be the actua...
517K 42.6K 49
For as long as Niharika could remember, she led a simple life overshadowed by her own misery. Despite belonging to a well-established family and bein...
1.2M 127K 71
Taranya Singh Chauhan stands between two truths. Both wearing a mask. Which one will she believe? The one wearing the night, or the one doused in...
7.6K 843 26
"Lips may be sealed, secrets can be kept, but none are safe from me." Vera Reinhart went from having a clean record to committing murder within ten...