STAMP OF APPROVAL - a selecti...

By DC_Rose

The nation of Illéa was looking forward to their Crown Princess, Helena Schreave, taking her rightful place o... More

prelude
intro
the cast
the articles
reading the articles
the sunflower
garage
application
undercover
it was never supposed to be me
"as if i should be here"
dating is harder than it looks
"we still fell"
a good choice
"did you seriously just quote Princess Diaries 2?"
the late night waltz
"is everything in there worth noting?"
no playing favorites
"i'm gonna teach you to skateboard"
lightning strikes
"i didn't have time to put on a shirt"
a head full of confusion
"casualty of being in the Coast Guard, i suppose"
a wave crashes down
"i don't want anymore seaweed"
"can i cut in?"
a seed of doubt
"if i can be seen in public with both of you still in your pajamas"
tell me it'll be okay
"because i'm my father's son"
the tough goodbyes
"it's a funeral, after all"
with you, i'm home
"why would you pick me?"
tough choices lie ahead
"you're asking me if i love her"
three little words
"i never thought i'd find anyone"
finally
"and i'm choosing you"
the buildup
"will you marry me?"
epilogue

my hero

28 2 0
By DC_Rose

C H A R L O T T E

written by animationchic/aOK706

round nine ||

March 18th

8:30am

"Charlotte, I'm really sorry but I need to talk to you," Audrey says, coming up to my side. I almost jump, surprised to find her there. But what surprises me even more is Audrey standing there, looking frazzled and with Madisyn the intern, and Breslin, my brother's personal assistant.

"What's up Audrey?" I ask, smiling at the Selected as they file past me. We just finished up breakfast and Bowie and I had gotten into a very heated conversation about the newest fad in green energy. I think the newest solar panels look like a good investment but Bowie is questioning the ethical sources of the company actually making them. It was fun. But the look on Audrey's face tells me that my fun day is about to come to an end. Uh-oh. "What's wrong?"

"Everything's falling apart," Audrey sighs and is that tears I see in her eyes? Audrey only cries when she's extremely frustrated and at dog movies. "The florist says there's a rose shortage and they're spotty, three of the pocket orchestra slipped and broke some bone or another and Vincenzo died."

"Vincenzo died?" I gasp, turning on my heel to look at her. "When? How did we not know?"

"A day ago," Audrey looks genuinely sad. She should be. Vincenzo was the best caterer and made the best cake in the tri-province area. "I'm sorry, I know you're busy with everyone, but everything is falling apart and—"

"And you need help. No problem, I'm glad you came to me," I tell her honestly. I hold my hand out and she hands me her palm pilot full of the plans. I sigh and take a moment to look through it before looking up at the three. "Okay, Madisyn, congrats you have a promotion. Go to Vincenzo's family, take a huge flower arrangement, and offer to take care of everything. Funeral arrangements, money to keep the business floating while they mourn, whatever they need. They were loyal citizens and friends and we will treat them as such. Nothing is too much."

"You got it," Madisyn nods and just before she leaves I catch her by the arm.

"Just if you have questions—"

"Clear it through Audrey, got it." Madisyn nods and turns, ready to do as I instructed, I presume.

I nod and turn back to Brelin. "Okay, Breslin, you are on flowers. My parents had white roses at their wedding, they have had white roses at every anniversary ball and they will at this one too. And not weak wimpy, half blooms. I want real white roses. Find them, somewhere, anywhere, find them."

"Got it." Breslin nods and takes notes frantically.

I can only assume that he's on the case so I turn back to Audrey. "Okay, talk to me about what else needs done."

"I failed you," Audrey moans as she walks beside me. "I'm so sorry. You've been so busy with the guys and I was supposed to be taking care of everything. And then I just got so busy with all of your normal meetings and other things and I just—"

"Audrey, it's fine," I cut off my friend. "I completely forgot about it too. But from now until next Thursday, it's me, you and our planning shoes."

"Roger that." Audrey shakes her head.

"Okay," I say with a sigh. "What else needs done?"

"Well, we need to find a new caterer, a new band, to finalize the guest list, figure out where everyone will be, the table settings, make sure the guys are outfitted, make sure your gown is right," she lists everything and I realize something. The guys. They're going to be here during the anniversary ball. Oh geez. My entire family comes in for it and they are going to be here for it. It's going to be a lot. They'll need support.

"Okay, well, unfortunately, I am going to just add to our things to do list," I tell Audrey. She looks at me quizzically but I just give her a tight lipped grin and head towards the lesson room. I don't knock, just approach Wynnie and my uncle. I sigh. "Guess what time of year it is?"

"What?" Wynnie asks, a little surprised to see me here.

Uncle Phillip looks confused too but then a look of understanding crosses his face. "Ah yes, how could I forget?"

"So I don't know what you guys were planning on teaching—" I start but Uncle Phillip cuts me off.

"We will set up extra dance lessons and get the men fitted for new suits." Uncle Phillip nods and I can tell that's when Wynnie gets it.

"Ah, the anniversaire ball," Wynnie says, nodding her head. "Is there anything you need help with? Do you want the men to plan anything or—"

"Actually, there is one thing," I tell her and then I turn to the guys. They're all staring at me, confused. I smile at them. "Next week is my parent's anniversary. Every year, we throw a ball in their honor. My entire family flies in, close friends, some dignitaries always show up. It's a big to-do and my parents love it. Well, this year, since you all are here, I would like to extend the invitation not only to you all, but your families as well. Invite whoever you'd like to, the more the merrier. We will put them up through the weekend. And of course a wardrobe will be supplied to them as well. I know it's a little inconvenient that the ball is on a Thursday but my parents always insist on having their celebration on their actual anniversary. So like I said, whoever you would like to invite, please do, just let Wynnie or Uncle Phillip know who all to add to the guest list."

I turn to Wynnie. "Just let me know how many and who all?"

"Not a problem, and we'll handle the outfitting and the rooms." Wynnie smiles, gracious as always.

"Thank you," I say, clasping my hands in front of me. She grins and shoos me out of the lesson room. I go, rejoining Audrey in the hallway. "Okay, with that taken care of, catering first? Or should we just divide and conquer?"

"I think divide and conquer is the only way to go." Audrey nods, going through her phone. I nod and start to do the same. This is going to be a hectic week.

March 21st

12:05 pm

"How have dance lessons been?" I ask Levi, sliding in next to him during lunch.

He shifts, looking slightly uncomfortable and I frown at him. But Levi just glances down at me over his sandwich and grumbles, "Better. My teacher is much nicer this time."

"Hey! I really wasn't that mean," I pout and Levi gives me a small smile. I look at him then. He has dark bags under his eyes and his wounds seem to be healing, but slowly. They're all at least scabbed over so he no longer needs to wear the bandages. I lower my voice even though we're really the only ones here, "Hey, are you okay?"

"Yeah, I'm fine," he says and I can't tell if he's lying to me or not. Levi hesitates and then adds, "Just haven't been sleeping well lately."

"I know that feeling," I sympathize with him, knowing that if I hadn't let Madeline do my makeup this morning, I would have bags as large as him under my eyes.

We sit in silence for a moment just looking at each other until Levi raises a brow. "Was there something you needed, princess?"

"Are you inviting Abri?" I ask him, shifting in my seat.

"I called her yesterday." Levi nods and smiles softly. "She's very excited."

"Good." I smile, relaxing a touch. "I'm really excited to see her again too."

"You didn't come to ask me if I invited my sister," Levi observes and gives me a look.

I roll my eyes. "How do you know?"

"Because you and I both know she would kill me if I didn't." Levi gives me another grin just before he takes another bite of his sandwich.

"That's very true," I snort, very unprincess-like but I don't care. "Abri would never let you live another day if you left her out. But you're right, I do have something else to talk to you about."

"What's on your mind?" Levi shifts towards me and my stomach clenches. Maybe I shouldn't do this. Maybe I should just let sleeping dogs lie. But no, I need to say something.

"So, you know this ball is super formal, right?" I ask him, tilting my head.

"If I hadn't already, the rack of suits that were rolled into the room this morning was a huge tip off," Levi says with a sigh.

"Look, I like the leather jacket, love it even," I say, sitting forward. "And it's so very you. It suits you. But—"

"That was a great speech before the but," Levi grumbles.

"But." I grin at him. "This is about my parents, and you know my dad hates the leather jacket."

"I had a feeling." Levi rolls his eyes and leans back in his chair. I sigh and Levi looks at me. "Look, Charlotte, relax. I wasn't even thinking of trying to wear it Thursday. I had a feeling it wouldn't go over well."

"I'm sorry," I tell him and I realize how small my voice sounds. I realize then that I'm actually apologizing for more than the fact that he shouldn't wear his leather jacket. "I'm really sorry."

"Charlotte." Levi places his hand over mine and I startle. I didn't realize I had even put my hand on his arm but here we are. Levi ducks his head and forces me to meet his eyes. "It's okay. I understand, I promise."

"Okay," I whisper softly, nodding. "Okay."

March 24th

5:36 pm

"Okay so the flowers are in place and really, Breslin did a great job with them. I have no idea where he found them," Audrey says, checking things off of a list. Madeline floats around me blending my foundation and contour. This woman is a miracle worker. "And I think I have all the men and their families settled at the far right tables, I know it's not ideal, but—"

"This is a party for my parents, not for me, it's fine. It's not like there is a bathroom in the ballroom for them to be offended by," I say with a wave of my hand. "Plus that way, I can hide in the shadows with them and get away from my grandparents."

"You know they're going to ask you who the favorite is." Audrey rolls her eyes.

"You know I don't have a favorite," I remind her and she just sighs. I knew she was fishing.

"Anyways," Audrey clears her throat and shifts out of Madeline's way. "So the boys are set up. All the wardrobes have been handled. Actually it's kind of funny, two of the three Wilk sisters that came ended up wanting to wear the same dress and of course neither one of them would settle for choosing a different dress so naturally Clara threw herself into making an almost exact replica. She stayed up all night to finish it and of course it came out perfectly."

"Oh no, I feel so bad that she had to do that." I frown at her and I hear Madeline huff as I shift. "Sorry, Madeline."

"It's fine, Charlotte," Madeline says and looks at Audrey. "That doesn't sound very funny."

"What she said," I mumble.

"Oh, Clara loved it. She really did." Audrey leans against my vanity. "It was one of her designs so she felt so proud that two grown women were fighting over her dress. That was the funny part though. Seriously, I thought one was going to punch the other. It was quite a sight, very tag sale."

"Still doesn't sound all that funny," I tell her and tilt my face from side to side. Madeline is scrutinizing her hard work and to no one's surprise, it's perfect.

"Hm, maybe you had to be there," Audrey hums to herself and goes back to our check off list. "Now I'm still a little bit worried about Fabian. I know that his prepared foods were delicious, but your parents are expecting Vincenzo and Fabian is not Vincenzo."

"Well, I should hope not since Vincenzo is dead," I mumble.

"Not funny," Audrey says, not missing a beat. "I know but still. No offense but your parents expect a certain caliber and I just hope Fabian will live up to it."

"I'm sure he'll be fine, Audrey," I tell my friend and lay a hand on her arm. She looks up at me a bit surprised and I can't help but smile. I am so grateful for her. She really has been such a help. I couldn't do anything without her, especially not right now. "At this point, there's nothing else we can do but hope that everything falls into place. So why don't you go get ready and I'll meet you in the main hall?"

Audrey glances down at herself as if just now realizing she never got dressed. She blinks a few times, no doubt trying to think if there's anything we missed, before looking at me once more. "Very well," she says, her mouth a thin line. "I will meet you in no time."

I roll my eyes as she leaves my room and look at Madeline in the mirror. "I can put the finishing touches on my hair. Will you go help her?"

Madeline smiles in her knowing way and follows Audrey. I really have the best friends.

The tapping of glassware surrounds me as I stand in my spot at the head table. Hundreds of eyes look toward me and I have to steel myself. I've never particularly cared for public speaking. It used to make me nauseous and stammer but I've trained myself out of that. Being a princess, and the future queen, I will undoubtedly have to make hundreds of speeches. There's no way I can survive without a coping technique, no way I can not do it. So I put on my mask.

My princess mask was something that Hellie helped me develop. When my princess mask is on, nothing else about myself matters. I am composed and self-assured. I am assertive and kind. I am all things a princess should be, including a great public speaker.

"Excuse me," I call out across the ballroom, as if I have to. I smile that smile that my mother is so proud of and look out at the crowd without looking at the crowd. That's another technique I've honed over the years. Look at the people without ever actually looking at them, never make eye contact. "If I could have everyone's attention," I start again, as all "impromptu" speeches start. When the clinking dies down I murmur a demure 'thank you' before continuing on.

This year when I was writing my speech I really struggled. I don't know if it was because I was shorter on time than ever before or if it was because I had so much else going on with all the last minute planning. Before, no one really cared what my speech entailed. Hellie always performed the opening speech, I took the one just before dancing and then Luc ended the night by bidding everyone a safe farewell. Our speeches were practically written for us. Now... it's just one more thing that's completely different than before.

"Firstly, I would like to welcome you all into our home as we celebrate this momentous day. More years ago than my mother would care for me to count," a smattering of polite chuckles here, "my parents made the ultimate commitment to each other. They stood before a crowd, much like the one I stand before today and made many promises to each other. I would know, I've watched the video many times." Another round of chuckles here and I take a breath, "But this year, for me at least, all of those pretty promises strike a different chord. This year, I strive to find what you two promised to be for each other." I turn to them now, talking to them. "Years ago, you entered a Selection, somewhat like my own, seeking and hoping to find your perfect partner, and I truly believe you did. You found the perfect complement to each other. I always marveled at that, always wondered how you accomplished that, I'm still wondering really, but I think I'm starting to understand. In each other, you found respect and love and a future that you both always dreamed of. So now, as I myself search for love and respect and that future I always dreamed of, I look to you. I look to you and I know it's possible. I look to you as my shining examples that it can be done and it can work. I look to you and I believe.

"So, please join me in toasting my parents," I turn back to the crowd and raise my own glass of champagne. "To love and respect and the perfect complementary partners."

"To perfect complementary partners!" The crowd calls back at me and I sigh, relieved the speech is over.

I sink back into my seat and turn towards my mother who is already leaning over towards me.

"A bit dry and a bit of a long toast, but fine," she mumbles with the most loving smile on her face. I knew she would think it was too long to have people echo back, but perfect partners just sounded forced. I smile back like I'm supposed to. No, even though the speech is technically over, my princess mask must stay in place. I —we— must always appear perfect. Perfectly happy, perfectly content, perfect, perfect, perfect.

Always perfect.

I almost sag in relief as the waiter places my plate in front of me. I can't actually remember the last time I ate. I'm pretty sure I skipped breakfast this morning, there had been a linen emergency, and honestly I don't remember if I even had dinner last night. I can feel my stomach rolling, ready for some food and I'm just about to cut into my food when my mother stops me.

"Charlotte, you should go and greet our guests," she whispers in my ear. I look at her, then down at my plate and back up again and if it weren't for a ballroom full of people she probably would have frowned at me. "Greet them now while they'll still all be at their tables. If you wait until later people are bound to have gotten up and moved around."

I nod and move to stand when my mother then proceeds to lean over further and snap at my brother, "Accompany your sister around the tables. It's inappropriate for her to galavant the room unescorted."

"But my food will get cold," he complains and I have to side with him. I would much prefer to eat and greet the guests later. And really, these are her guests. They are here to celebrate her and father, but the look she levels Luc with could envy the ice queen. Luc sighs and stands, offering me his elbow. He murmurs in my ear, "You had better make these quick."

"You know that won't happen," I mumble cheerfully and greet our first table. True to my warning, it takes me forever to even make it to the Selected tables, let alone through all of the guests. This happens every year yet somehow I never remember. To be fair, usually it's my parents going around and greeting everyone. This ball is in their honor after all, but this year my mother insisted ahead of time that I greet the guests after the opening speech. I'm unsure why, but when my parents insist, there's really no getting out of it.

"You must be Mrs. Hester." I smile at the slightly haggard looking woman sitting at the table. Her eyes go wide and she makes a surprised sound, moving to stand, but I calm her. "Please, don't get up on my account."

She doesn't listen though and stands, taking my hand softly and dipping into a shallow curtsy. "I-I am, Your Majesty," she says softly. When she meets my gaze once more her smile is as soft as her voice. "It's a pleasure to meet you."

"Please, the pleasure is all mine," I tell her and together we move to sit in the chairs. She glances around. "I think my son is escorting my daughter to the bathroom, she was so excited to meet you."

"Then I will be sure to circle back around to meet her," I assure her. She smiles softly but shifts, obviously uncomfortable. "Mrs. Hester, I just wanted you to know how glad I am to have met Rhett."

"He feels the same, I can tell." Her smile is more genuine now and I am glad I got to talk to her alone first. I blush a bit at her next words, "Just try not to break his heart. I know he seems tough, but I promise he has a soft inside."

I frown slightly and glance around. "Honestly, I'm worried I'm going to break more than a few hearts."

"I know, dear," she says knowingly and pats my hand. "I know. Just— be careful with them. They all seem like such nice boys, but boys have feelings too, you know?"

"I know, Mrs. Hester," I tell her solemnly. "I know."

"Charlotte," Rhett's voice interrupts us and beams brightly at me. I can't help but smile back. He takes me in and steps back for just a moment. "I see you've met my mother. Hopefully she hasn't been telling you any embarrassing stories. I assure you none of them are true."

"Oh, but I was so ready to see the photos of the bunny pajamas," I pretend pout and it's worth it because Rhett grins.

He glances to his right and shifts. "Ah, Princess Charlotte, may I introduce you to my sister, Vivienne. Viv, this is Charlotte."

"It's a pleasure to meet you," Vivienne says, her voice soft but her eyes shrewd. She takes in every inch of me, just like her brother. But unlike him, she doesn't seem happy with what she's seeing.

"No, the pleasure is all mine. Rhett has told me so much about you, about both of you," I add, turning to include Mrs. Hester in the conversation.

"Yeah, he's told us about you too," Vivienne says almost hesitantly but after a couple moments longer, she and her mother start a conversation about Rhett's shop and people they know from home and my head spins trying to keep up. Or maybe that was the lack of sleep, or food. It's hard to tell. Either way, I smile and do my best and at some point, Rhett is by my side and is murmuring in my ear.

"They're best friends, and when they get off on a tangent, there's no stopping them," Rhett says softly and when I glance up at him he rolls his eyes good naturedly. "Even if no one else knows what they're talking about."

"It's quite okay," I say, smiling up at him. "It happens sometimes even with my parents."

"You look really beautiful tonight," Rhett says softly and something about his tone makes me blush. I don't think I've ever heard Rhett talk like this.

"Thank you, you look really nice yourself," I return the compliment. We smile at each other for a moment longer until someone almost bumps into me, pushing me further into Rhett. I blush deeper. "I'm sorry."

"Don't be." Rhett grins and that's when I realized he'd caught me, steadying me against him.

"Oh, Rhett dear, let the girl go. She has so many others to greet still," Mrs. Hester chides from her seat but the look she gives us— well it tells me she's less worried about me breaking her son's heart. For now at least.

"Of course," Rhett says, stepping back and releasing me. "Try to come back around though? I would love a dance."

"I promise," I tell him, smiling at him and moving around to the other side of the table greeting the first of Frankie's sisters who made the trip. Something tells me it's going to be a long night.

"Charlotte," Ambrose crows as he stands from his table. He looks happy and turns to those he's invited. "Unfortunately my parents were unable to attend, but some of my friends were able to make the trip. I would like to introduce Ross, the CFO at my company, Jay our CAO and Gibson head of our IT department. And their wives, of course."

I smile politely at each person as he introduces them and I have to say, I'm a bit surprised. I know Ambrose told me that he wasn't close to his parents, but I wasn't prepared to meet most of his company tonight. But Ambrose seems happy and at ease, so maybe these really are his friends. Ambrose begs me to sit down and soon I'm in the middle of what feels like one of my father's board meetings.

"They get like this everytime they get together," Ross' wife murmurs to me leaning over like she's sharing a secret. "I'm Brielle by the way."

"Charlotte," I tell her like it wasn't obvious and I can tell by her expression that she appreciates it all the same.

"I have to tell you, that this is a nice side to see of Ambrose," Brielle says, keeping her voice low but I'm not sure it would make a difference. The men at the table are paying us no mind.

"Oh?" I say, a bit surprised. "How so?"

"He just seems... happier," she confides and looks at me. "And it's obvious why."

I feel my cheeks heat up as right then, Ambrose turns to me, smiles widely and takes my hand in his. It's a familiar gesture and not unlike those that I've seen the other men show their wives. I can see how he fits in with these guys and how the women all turn to each other for entertainment. It's a comfortable group, even if I don't understand most of what they're saying.

"Hi, Linus," I say, startling the Selected as I sneak up behind him. I chuckle more to myself as he stands and gives me a hug.

"Ah, Charlotte! I'm so glad you've come by, come meet my friends." He holds an arm out to his table and I'm surprised once more to find that three younger people are all sitting there, looking slightly uncomfortable. On the other side, I see Levi grinning at me. I had a feeling putting his group and Linus' together would be a good call.

"Hello everyone, and thank you so much for coming tonight," I say genuinely to Linus' invitees. They smile hesitantly but I can tell with this group it's more about shyness than anything else.

"Charlotte, this is Kolby, Delina and Yadhir, they all work with me as ghostwriters," Linus pulls out his chair for me. "Here sit, you've been up all night."

"Thank you," I say, taking the offered seat. Really this has been the longest night and I can just feel the energy draining from me. But I am a princess, soon to be the queen. I cannot be weak. I turn to Linus' friends. "It must be so interesting being a ghostwriter. From what Linus has told me, you frequently are only working on sections of books and then have to pass it over to another writer. How do you keep from becoming attached?"

"It's actually not as hard as you would think," Delina says, scooting forward in her chair and pushing her glasses up her nose. I smile kindly at her as she talks, telling me how you have to look at it as raising a kid. There's only so much you can do before you send it off into the world. Only with ghostwriting it's more like being a teacher. You only have that kid for a short amount of time, so you just try to do the best you can with the time restraints. As she speaks I can't help but notice how often Yadhir glances at her or how often she glances at Linus. Something tells me there is a love triangle here.

Before I can change the topic and ask another question, a form in black crashes into my side, hugging me.

"Charlotte! Thank you so much for inviting us!" I recognize the voice as Abri and I can't help but laugh.

"You didn't think I would throw a party and not invite you, did you?" I ask her and hug her back.

"Abri, I told you to wait your turn," Levi murmurs as he joins us on the other side of the table. I can't help but smile at him but Abri shakes her head at her older brother.

"She was taking too long," She gives Linus and his friends her brightest smile. "Besides, we're all friends now anyways, right guys?"

I can't help but notice that while Linus' friends all nod at Abri's words, they also look slightly scared of her. Linus however agrees with grace.

"The best." His smile is warm as he looks at Abri. "Especially the more stories you share about Levi."

"Oh, we have stories for days," another man approaches, his smile easy and confident.

"I want to hear some of these stories," I pipe up, wanting to join in the fun.

"I knew inviting you was a mistake," Levi grumbles and then turns to me, motioning at the man who is clearly his friend. "Charlotte, this is Onyx, my coworker and friend. Onyx, this is Princess Charlotte."

I wasn't sure why he emphasized my title so much but I held out a hand to Onyx. "I've heard a lot about you, I'm so glad to meet you."

"You been talking about me?" Onyx raises his eyebrows at Levi before turning back to me and taking my hand. "Trust me, your highness, I wouldn't have missed this for the world, if only to see Levi in a tie."

"Yeah, how'd you manage not to weasel out of wearing that big brother?" Abri asks, grinning as a redhead sidles up to her, wrapping her arm around Abri's. She's cute and can only be Abri's best friend.

"I was asked to wear one tonight, so I did," Levi grumbles, fidgeting with the tie in question.

The twinkle in Abri's eye tells me she wants to say something more but she holds back. Instead she turns to me and motions to her friend. "Charlotte, this is Emmie, my best friend."

"Oh, you're who Abri has been staying with right? I'm so glad to meet you." I hold out my hand for the young girl but she squeals and envelops me into the tightest hug I've ever received from a complete stranger. I laugh lightly, mostly because I can't manage much else.

"Oh, my gosh, I am so so happy to be here. Thank you so much for inviting me. I've always wanted to see the palace," this girl talks a mile a minute but something tells me this is natural Emmie and it brings a smile to my lips. "What's it like being a princess? I mean it looks so easy but something tells me there's more to it. And wearing tiaras? I mean I've only ever had the plastic ones and they were so uncomfortable, but the real thing, I mean they look so heavy—"

"Emmie, Charlotte has more people to meet," Levi cuts the younger girl off with a slightly horrified-slightly amused look on his face. He sends me an apologetic look but I shake my head at him.

"Oh, I am so sorry, Your Highness." Emmie's cheeks color but only momentarily as she continues talking, now about how many people I've met and will I be dancing with all of the Selected tonight.

"I'm actually curious about that as well," Abri says, sending a sideways look at her brother. "Big brother told me he's been taking dancing lessons, but I just can't picture it."

"He's actually a very fine dancer," I tell Abri and she and Onyx both snort. I lift an eyebrow. "You don't believe me? We just took dance lessons last week."

"Ah, I don't know that you want to brag about those lessons," Levi cuts in, his cheeks coloring just slightly as he reminds me. "We were both awful."

"We got it by the end of the class." I wave him off and I don't miss the look that crosses Abri's face. I don't know quite how to interpret it, but I see it all the same.

"Well, in that case, I look forward to seeing you two dance." Abri crosses her arms and gives her brother a meaningful look. I'm starting to get the hint that something more is going on here. I glance between them but neither gives anything away.

"Definitely," I assure her, doing my best to keep everything genial between all of us. "Once the dancing has started I am sure that would be manageable, unless Levi disagrees."

"Never, princess," Levi says softly but there's a hint of steel in his eye that matches his sister. Uh-oh, yeah I definitely walked into a sibling feud. I just don't know what I did wrong.

"Charlotte, it's time," Luc's voice is suddenly next to me and I realize he's come to collect me for the next part of the ball. Opening the dancing. Tradition states that my parents open the dancing and we kids join in. In the past my sister and I would take turns dancing with Luc. Now it's just me and Luc.

I give him a small smile and turn to our guests. Luckily this had been the last table for me to visit and I can't help but mourn that because I took the time to actually talk to people, I missed all of dinner. Oh, well, all part of being a princess.

"If you all would excuse me, I must go, it's time for us to open the dance floor," I inform them all and bid my farewells to both Levi's group and Linus's. As Luc leads me back to the front of the ballroom I grumble, "Please tell me you saved me a roll."

"Sorry sister, mom saw me shoving it in my pocket and made me put it back." Luc's smile is so tight I can barely see his lips move. The perfect prince. My parents are so proud, I can see it in their eyes. They used to look that way at Hellie too. Too bad I never see it when they look at me.

"Figures," I mumble with a sigh. At least I don't feel hungry anymore. I'm just ready for tonight to be over.

"Just a head's up, mom and dad want me to pass you off to Ambrose after our dance," Luc says as we near the head table. A flicker of panic shoots through me. I could feel that my father had a certain level of fondness for Ambrose, but to dance with him after Luc? That's a strong declaration.

"Please don't," I beg my brother, the panic rising in me but I can't figure out why. I like Ambrose, I do. He's a great guy, smart, handsome, charismatic. A fine man even. But there are so many great guys here, and so many of my family and friends. To dance with Ambrose second now... it's too soon. "Pass me off to Dad like normal and dance with Mom. I don't why they would want to break that tradition."

"Char, you know why." Luc gives me a look but I give him right back.

"Luc, do not break with tradition," I tell him but he knows me. He reads my underlying panic in the words and nods. Mom and Dad might get upset with him, but they can't get too upset. Besides, they'll know it's more me than anyone else.

"You got it, sis," Luc says a bit ironically and for the first time in a long time, I really miss my little brother. I miss when he would speak ironically with me, when we would team up to tease Hellie and play pranks on Dad. He used to be more carefree, his bright laughter filling the palace. Now he seems just as hardened as Dad, as me. We all changed that day but Luc seemed to change the most.

I barely hear his speech as he opens the dancing, I'm not really paying attention. I'm just ready for this night to be over. It feels like it's been ages since I last sat down, and my feet are killing me. I go through the motions as my brother bows to me on the second cue and pulls me into the dance alongside our parents. It's a simple waltz, meant to be more showy than actually complicated and I have to appreciate Madeline's talent when it comes to my dress design. It's a traditional ball gown silhouette, but the back is low and the fabric is a bit stiffer than traditional. But as Luc turns and spins me across the dancefloor, I can feel the skirts flare out around me and I just know it looks amazing.

The waltz ends and the music begins to pick up. My parents separate, trying to head towards others on the outskirts of the dancefloor, but I'm not having it. It is tradition that we children dance the second dance with them, and we are doing it. I cut my father off just as he's steps away from asking Wynnie to dance and I sink into a curtsy, huffing, "You move fast when you want to."

"Charlotte." His brow furrows even as he nods for me to rise. A king never bows to anyone. One day I will no longer curtsy to anyone. He pulls me into the fray, this time the dancefloor is filling up and he has to lower his voice. "What are you doing? I was not expecting—"

"You know just as well as I do that if I dance the second dance with any selected what kind of message that would send," I murmur back, cutting him off. He stiffens in my arms but his mask slides back into place quickly. "Especially at your anniversary ball."

I glance up at him but he seems unperturbed. I sigh. "Dad, you need to stop pushing me at people."

"I'm not pushing you at anyone," he denies it but something in my expression gets him to concede a bit. "Ambrose is a fine man. I think he would make a great match for you."

"And your opinion has been duly noted," I tell him as we turn to the music. "But Dad, there are a lot of fine men here. Can you try to get to know some of them better? For me?"

He's silent for a long time, glancing around those that are dancing around us. His eyes settle on Rhett on the edge of the dancefloor, dancing slower than the others for his mother. He sighs and looks down at me and admits, "Yes, there are more than a few upstanding men."

"So, you'll get to know them more?" I ask, hopeful.

"On one condition," Dad says and I can't help but smile. My dad, ever the businessman. "You go on public event one-on-one dates, each of my own choosing."

"I thought—"

But it's his turn to interrupt me, "I don't want you alone with them, not fully yet. After everything that's happened, no, it's too risky. But public events are an important part of being royal and it's important that they know how to act at those. I'm thinking you would join either your mother and I or take Luc and Wynnie to different events and we can evaluate from there. That way you are always chaperoned, but you're also at important functions. Do we have a deal?"

"As long as that's not the only time you spend with them," I say, almost hesitantly. Honestly, I don't know how we're going to find that many public events appropriate enough to take each of the guys to, but hey, that's on my dad to figure out. Plus this way, maybe he'll actually get to know some of these guys. As it stands, he barely joins us for dinner. If I'm going to marry someone in this room, I need him to have some kind of relationship with my parents. So I sigh and nod at my father. I would shake his hand, but well, we're still dancing. "Then you have yourself a deal."

"Excellent." My father grins at me and something clenches in me. I can't quite tell if that's a good grin or one of his manipulative ones. Either way, I think me and the guys are in for it. And soon.

"May I have this dance?" Frankie asks at my elbow and I hold in my groan of exasperation.

I had just managed to get off the dancefloor after being tied up for the better part of the hour. After my father, my uncle needed a dance and then my other uncle and my maternal grandfather and it really just spiraled. My feet are still killing me and I am so, so, hungry, but when I look up into Frankie's anxious face I know I can't turn him down. He's never made this bold of a move and honestly, I'm a bit impressed. So I put the finger cake I had just lifted to my lips back down and hold my hand out to Frankie, smiling as brightly as I can.

"I would love to," I tell him and instantly I know I made the right decision. I think I see him mouth a 'thank you' as he takes my hand and pulls me back onto the dancefloor. He hesitates for a moment, seeming to forget what to do next. I grin and under my breath remind him, "Bow."

"Oh, right." He flushes slightly and does as I say. Then his muscles seem to remember what to do from here as he steps forward and takes up a slightly clumsy dance position. Overall though, he's not so bad.

"So was it a dare or did your sisters harass you into asking me to dance?" I ask him after a few moments.

Frankie chuckles. "Olive may have challenged me but I also really wanted to dance with you."

"Yeah?" I ask him, feeling myself blush slightly. Something about tonight, about having his people around him, seems to have made Frankie a little bit more bold.

"Yeah." He sighs and looks at me a bit bashfully. "I mean, look at you Charlotte, you're beautiful tonight, not that you aren't every night but—"

"I know what you meant," I reassure him gently.

"Plus, I think you've always had to do the asking in the past, so I thought it was time I manned up," Frankie says with a waver and something tells me this is a sore subject. Someone has made Frankie feel less of a man and that makes me feel both sad and angry.

"What does that phrase even mean?" I ask teasingly, crinkling my nose. "'Manned up'? I mean it makes it sound like something is innately more manly than something else and isn't that just so— weird?"

Frankie looks at me a bit surprised.

"What? Why are you looking at me like that?" I ask him, fighting back the urge to laugh.

"Nothing I just, I just thought you of all people, being a princess," he stammers and I almost feel bad for him.

"Frankie, relax," I say softly. I fear I've offended him. "I'm sorry. I was just trying to say, well that I don't think it's any more or less manly that you asked me to dance or that I've been the one to ask in the past. I wanted to dance with you so I asked. You wanted to dance with me, so you did. Simple as that."

"I guess I can see your point," Frankie says and I still can't tell if I've insulted him or not.

"Yeah?" I ask him but I notice that he won't quite meet my eye. "Because let me just be a bit more clear and say that I find you plenty manly."

"Yeah?" he asks now, his voice softer than ever.

I smile kindly and nod. "Yeah."

"Needed a bit of fresh air too, huh?" A voice sounds from the dark and I startle, spinning but I'm blinded by the light from the balcony doors.

"Bowie," I gasp when I finally am able to see once more and clutch at my chest. I chuckle on an exhale. "You startled me."

"Sorry, I should have done a better job warning you that I was out here." Bowie bows his head and now that my eyes have adjusted, I can tell he's flushing.

"No, I'm sorry, I just needed—" I start to explain but he cuts me off.

"Some air." He grins up at me and I smile softly back. He shifts on the bench and pats the space beside him. Even with the extra room, I can feel my skirts encroach on his space. Bowie doesn't seem to mind as he adds, "Yeah, I get it."

"I suppose you do," I say quietly and with the balcony doors closed behind us, I can just barely hear the orchestra still strumming along. The murmur of the crowd is still there, but it's not as overbearing as it was just a moment ago when I stole my way out here. I take a deep breath and tilt my face up to the moon, taking in the night sky. I chuckle suddenly. "I suppose I shouldn't be surprised to find you out here either."

"Are you calling me predictable?" Bowie asks but I can hear the teasing in his voice.

"Maybe," I admit and he laughs then and it's the most genuine laugh I've heard from him since our hiking trip at the cabin. I turn to him. "Bowie, do you hate it here?"

"At the palace? Or the ball?" he asks hesitantly and I can't imagine the million thoughts running through his mind.

"Both," I say because I really want to know the answer. I mean, if he's miserable here, with me, then can this really work?

"No," he says after a silence so long that my thoughts were busy filling it up. "No, I don't. I don't particularly enjoy the ball, but the palace isn't so bad. It's not the wide open spaces that I'm used to, and I definitely can't get my hands as dirty as I'm used to." Bowie chuckles and I bite my lip in worry. But he turns to me for what he has to say next and the sincerity in his eyes puts all my worries at ease. "But there's a certain beauty here too. I have been working in the greenhouses and found all the best hiking trails, and I've had the unique opportunity to meet really influential people in the nation's green movement. I never would have been able to be a part of that if I hadn't come here. But best of all, Charlotte, you're here. And well, I can't seem to hate that at all."

"Oh, well," I shift, not used to this side of Bowie. He's usually one of the quieter guys, more reserved. It seems like I'm seeing a whole new side of the guys tonight and I'm finding it both fascinating and a bit intimidating. I clear my throat, and stand, taking Bowie's hands in mine. "Well, in that case, would you like to dance?"

The song just ended and Quentin bows to me, exiting stage right. I glance around, preparing myself for my next dance partner. I haven't been without one for long tonight. I wonder if this is how it's going to be for the rest of my life. Everyone jockeying to dance with the queen of Illea. I sigh when my gaze sags on sandy blonde hair.

His grin is crooked as he approaches me and as I watch Ambrose I can't help but think of my father's words earlier. Ambrose is a good man, and he would make a good match. But there must be more to these things than just that.

"Excuse me, your majesty, think I could steal a dance?" I'm surprised when a different voice than I was expecting is next to me. I'm even more surprised to look up and see Onyx standing there, Levi's friend.

I smile broadly at him and roll my eyes. "Really, Charlotte is just fine. We're friends now, and of course."

I let him take my hand and meet Ambrose's eye once more. He's furrowing his brow at me and Onyx but I only shrug my shoulders and turn back to my unexpected dance partner.

"I bow first, yes?" he asks as he performs a slight bow and I nod, smiling more. He grins back at me and takes my hands, suddenly looking a bit hesitant. "Okay, I don't really know what to do now."

I laugh. "That's okay, I'll teach you."

"That's right, Levi did say that you taught him how to dance," Onyx says and he almost sounds impressed.

"It wasn't that hard, he already had the basics." I shrug and I'm not lying. It wasn't that hard to make the connections for Levi. It had been fun even. I smile lightly, thinking about that night all those weeks ago. Onyx just snorts. I glance up at him, squinting at him. "What?"

"Nothing." He shakes his head for a moment but then his ever-present grin creeps across his face once more. "Just these guys are lucky I wasn't chosen. There'd be no competition."

"Is that so?" I can't help but laugh. Onyx's eyes flash at my laughter and I can totally see why Levi is friends with him. They're a lot alike, yet very different at the same time.

"Most definitely." Onyx gives me another grin and I can tell he totally means what he says but then he shrugs. "But it seems my boy is doing just fine against this competition, so I guess I can't be too disappointed."

Something in me flips, but that's for me to figure out later. Instead I can't help the question that leaves me at the mention of Levi.

"So, uh," I bite my lip, second guessing myself. Oh, why not? It's not like I can pass up this opportunity, "Is there competition for me back home? ON his end?"

The smile dips on Onyx's lips momentarily and with it so does my heart. Does that look mean that there is someone at home waiting for Levi? Should I be worried? I'm just about to ask when another voice interrupts us.

"Can I cut in?" It's Levi and all at once I'm both happy and disappointed he's here. I kind of wanted to hear Onyx's answer.

"Of course, amigo," Onyx steps back from me and claps Levi on the shoulder with a broader grin than ever. "Enjoy."

"So how many embarrassing stories was he able to fit in while my Emmie distracted me?" Levi asks but I can tell that he's happy his friends are here. I'm happy too.

"Actually none," I tell him honestly but I can't help but tease him, "but there's still time."

Levi's lips quirk up in a grin but it falls quickly. I try not to frown but it's hard. He's been so hard to read lately, ever since the fight. I guess I should thank him again or apologize again but he made it seem like he didn't want to talk about it anymore. After that day, in his room— well, we haven't spoken about it again since. Even though I can't stop thinking about it. How it felt to have him holding me, how nice it felt and how relieved I was that it wasn't he who started the fight, that it wasn't Levi leaving my life that day.

"I'm really glad it wasn't you," I blurt out and he looks down at me briefly and I can feel myself flush. Why am I blushing so much lately? Why do I feel nervous? "I mean— I'm really glad you're still here. That we get to continue this."

I look up at him, meeting his eyes and I think he's about to say something when a couple bumps into us, sending me crashing into him. I hear the breath leave him and I quickly straighten to regain my balance. I chuckle. "Looks like I'm the clumsy one tonight, huh?"

I glance up at Levi again and it's like the rug is being pulled out from under me. The color has completely drained from Levi's face and without a word, he turns and walks off the dance floor, leaving me alone in the middle of it all. I want to call out after him, but that would draw too much attention, more than we already have. I smile at the minister of defense and murmur my apologies to the couples as I bump into them, making my own exit from the ballroom. I ignore anyone trying to stop me, to distract me. Instead, I follow the tall form as it rushes towards the exits.

I don't know what I was expecting when I finally caught up to Levi in the hallway, but it wasn't him hunched over, leaning against the wall trying desperately to catch his breath.

"Levi?" I ask hesitantly. He doesn't answer and I fidget, unsure what to do. What could have caused this kind of reaction? Was he freaking out about what I said? About us? Or that I was asking about his past back home? I mean I think it's a normal thing when you're kind of dating someone, to want to know about their past. And we are kind of dating, right? I mean, it's the whole reason any of the guys are here. My head spins so I do what I normally do in situations where I have no clue what's going on. I try to joke, "Was— Was it something I said?"

"No." He shakes his head and gasps at the air, trying to pull more into his lungs. That's when I realize he's holding his ribs and when I step even closer to him he gulps and admits, "It just hurts to breathe."

I gasp and rush forward. I go to touch where he's hurting, his ribs but stop myself just before I can. I look up at him, nothing but worry filling me. "Your ribs? Levi, that's serious. Have you had Dr. Harrigan look at them yet? You know we have a doctor on site at all times, right? How could you not tell me you were hurting? And you danced— oh, I'm so sorry."

All of my words are a rush and I can't tell if it's amusement or exhaustion filling Levi's eyes as he looks down at me. Okay, so maybe I'm not the best in emergency situations, but he could answer some of my questions or at least one. But his silence does tell me one thing, he has not seen Dr. Harrigan. Time to change that.

I sigh and take Levi's hand. "Come on."

"Where are we going, princess?" Levi asks me. His voice is rough with pain and my heart jerks at the sound of it. I never want to hear this tone from him again.

"To see the good doctor." I practically glare back at him, daring him to contradict me. He opens his mouth to argue but then looks down at me and closes it, nodding once. Good, he got the message. I turn to the nearest guard. "Please get Dr. Harrigan, I think he's in the ballroom on the left side enjoying his cake. Tell him to meet us in— here."

I pull open the door to a servant's pass and sigh in relief, finding a chair for Levi to sit in. The guard bows and does as I ask and I turn to Levi. "Sit. Wait."

"I'm not a dog," Levi says but he sinks into the chair.

"Well, you're dumb enough to let more than a week go without actually getting checked out. How could you? You could be really hurt," I complain and I worry at my bottom lip. I lean against the counter and practically sag in relief. Now that Levi is resting and the doctor is on his way, my own exhaustion is catching up with me.

"They're just bruised," Levi says softly but he's got that stupid grin again. That charming, get away with anything, stupid grin.

I grit my teeth. "You don't know that. You couldn't possibly know that."

"I've been here before," Levi says matter of factly. That gives me pause. I remember that there's still so much that I don't know about him, that I want to know about him.

"Still is better to get checked out than to live in pain," I mumble. He looks like he's about to say something when the door pulls open. Dr. Harrigan opens the door and smiles at me and then Levi.

"Ah, Princess, I must say you never disappoint," Dr. Harrigan gives me a wink as he approaches Levi. I can't help but smile back at the old man. He's been with the family forever. Probably is the same doctor that delivered Luc. He's seen every scraped knee and headache and even the rare broken bone. He's handled every flu and cold. He's always taken care of us and he's always been nothing but kind. But he does love to tease so it's no surprise when he turns to me. "I must admit, when the young man told me to come to the storage closet for the princess, I was expecting another twisted ankle or for your bad knee to be acting up again." He takes Levi in now. "I was not expecting to find you here with a young man."

"Dr. Harrigan, this is Levi Hernandez, Levi, this is Doc, he's been with the family for years," I make the introductions even as I feel my cheeks heat at the double meaning of the doctor's words.

"Ah, you are one of the young men who were fighting, weren't you?" Dr. Harrigan takes in Levi's face and the way he's holding himself. A slight frown is on his lips now and I can tell Levi is about to get a lecture. "Now I was expecting a visit from you days ago, but judging by the way you're sitting I can you're too—"

"He's intense," Levi says softly to me as he joins me in the hallway. After Dr. Harrigan checked Levi's eyes and nose, all the while lecturing him on pride and the medical necessity of getting a workup after a brawl, I was asked to step out so Doc could check Levi's ribs. While Levi was shirtless. Part of me wanted to stay to find out what exactly was wrong but I did as asked.

"He is, but he has the best lollipops," I say, not uncoldly. Levi nods and holds up his lollipop before popping it in his mouth. I want to smile but I force myself to frown instead. "Well, what's the verdict?"

"Bruised, like I said," Levi says and my shoulder's sag in relief.

"Good," I let out an exhale and sink against the wall.

"Worried about me, princess?" I can tell he's teasing me, trying to get us back to normal but something about his words make me tear up. Okay, now I really do need to eat. I always get too overly emotional when I'm hungry. Or tired. Or anything.

"Yes," I admit, because screw it. I was worried about him. Levi's looking at me now like he doesn't know what to do so I try to joke, "Abri would have killed me if I had gotten you hurt."

He chuckles at that. "Speaking of, can I escort you back to the ball?"

"If I have to," I nod and take his arm. "At least it's almost over."

"Oh, that reminds me," Levi stops us in the middle of the hall and drops my arm. I miss the contact almost instantly and am about to say something when he holds something up in front of me.

"Is that—"

"A roll," Levi grins at me as my mouth waters. I grab it from him and take a bite, practically moaning. He chuckles. "Sorry, I was only able to wrestle one from Emmie and Abri."

"How did you know?" I ask through a full mouth.

"I saw you greeting everyone and knew you were too busy to eat," Levi shrugs like it's no big deal but my stomach is hailing him as the hero he is. "I figured you'd be hungry by now."

"You're my hero," I tell him as I take another bite. I'm trying to savor it, to not eat it too fast, but it's going quick. It's not nearly enough but it'll tide me over.

"Come on, princess, let's get back in there," Levi's voice is full of something but I'm too distracted eating to decipher it.

The roll is long gone by the time we reach the ballroom doors. Some part of me delights in the feeling of entering the ball together even as another mourns the loss of Levi as we go our separate ways. As my family and I close out the ball, wishing all of our guests a goodnight, I search the crowd for a pair of light green eyes. I wilt slightly, not finding them right away and then I see him. All the way in the back, by the door. He's glancing around and briefly our eyes meet. He smiles softly and I feel myself smiling back. It feels right, smiling back.

It all feels right.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

442 32 22
It's been 19 years since Maxon and America had their first child, Jeremiah. Now he must have his own selection. Since Jeremiah could walk he has caus...
95 21 9
When Aurora Wilder is selected to compete in Prince Thomas's Selection, the competition to win his heart (and the crown), it's fitting. She's despera...
143 0 23
Fae Dick thought when the Selection of Prince Asher was announced that she should enter. She knew her family wouldn't be too thrilled at the prospect...
4.3K 184 28
Selene Larie Ellington is to be the first born princess to take the throne of Illéa. Although her succession is breaking tradition, nothing else is...