Blink and you'll miss it

By Tonkatsu__

Hi. It me the author. I like RWBY, I also like reading fan fiction. Figured I'd try it out my self. I did thi... More

Bio
Prologue
Chapter 1: Not so Little Red... Scythe...
Chapter 2: Making friends?
Chapter 3: WOOO SLEEP OVER!
Chapter 4: Falling very very fast!
Chapter 5: Tis but a scratch!
Chaoter 6: Pieces in play
Chapter 7: A new team
Chapter 8: One of the boys
Chapter 9: One of the boys pt2
Chapter 10: True strength
Filler: Surprise!
Chapter 11: Not something to be ashamed of
Chapter 12: I'm sorry.
Vol. 2 Chapter 1: FOOOOOD FIIIIIGHT!!
Vol. 2 Chapter 2: Just say it...
Vol. 2 Chapter 3: Plans in motion
Vol. 2 Chapter 4: The plan falls apart
Vol. 2 Chapter 5: Unrequitted
Message from me to you
Vol. 2 Chapter 6: A moment of rest
Vol. 2 Chapter 7: The night they remember
Vol. 2 Chapter 9: Never a dull moment...
Vol. 2 Chapter 10: For Vale
Filler: Boys night
Vol 3 Chapter 1: Fight
Vol. 3 Chapter 2: Family
Vol. 3 Chapter 3: The question
Vol. 3 Chapter 4: Fairy tale.
Vol. 3 chapter 5: The night they want to forget
Vol. 4 Chapter 0: A rough patch.
Vol. 4 Chapter 1: Life goes on
Vol. 4 chapter 2: The long road
Vol. 4 Chapter 3: Rogue Encounter
Vol. 4 Chapter 4: Savior
Vol. 4 Chapter 5: For myself
Vol. 5 Chapter 1: Mistral
Vol. 5 Chapter 2: Huh?
Vol. 5 Chapter 3: But at what cost?
Vol. 5 Chapter 4: Almost whole again.
Vol. 5 Chapter 5: Early bird
Vol. 5 Chapter 6: First blood
Vol. 5 Chapter 7: Hate
Vol. 5 Chapter 8: For Haven
Vol. 5 Chapter 9: The hardest battle yet
Vol. 6 Chapter 1: Motherfuckin Grimm on this Motherfuckin Train!!
Vol. 6 Chapter 2: Long way
Vol. 6 chapter 3: Side quest begins
Vol. 6 Chapter 4: What are we doing
Vol. 6 Chapter 5: IS THAT THE GRIM REAPER?!
Vol. 6 Chapter 6: High tension
Vol. 6 Chapter 7: Reconciliation
Vol. 6 Chapter 8: Operation Yoink
Vol. 6 Chapter 9: Brothers
Vol. 7 Chapter 1: A warm welcome

Vol. 2 Chapter 8: The coolest History teacher in... history...

2.5K 36 15
By Tonkatsu__

After the dance ended Team RWBY was informed that their leader had gotten into a fight at the CCT, and while she was unharmed, the intruder got away. Looks like team RWBY's R&R was over. Time to get back to work.
.
.
The day after the dance. Ironwood, Glynda, and Ozpin were having a discussion about last nights events in Ozpin's office.

Ironwood: "They were here... Ozpin, they were here!"

Ironwood angrily slams his fist against Ozpin's desk.

Glynda: "We're very much aware of that! Thank you, James."

Ironwood: "Fantastic! You're aware! Now are we going to do something about it or should we just stay the course and continue to ignore what's right in front of us?!"

An alert sound plays, signifying that someone has arrived on the elevator.

Ozpin: "Come in."

Ruby steps out and into the room.

Ruby: "Sorry it took so long. Someone accidentally hit all the buttons on the elevator on the way up here. It wasn't me."

Ozpin: "Thank you for coming, Ruby. How are you feeling?"

Ruby: "Okay, I guess. I'd feel better if my bad-guy-catching record wasn't O-for-three."

Everyone stares silently.

Ruby: "Okay, so that's the tone we're going for, got it."

Ironwood: "Ruby, I feel it's appropriate to let you know that I think what you did last night is exactly what being a Huntress is all about. You recognized a threat. You took action. And you did the very best you could."

Ruby: "Thank you, sir."

Ozpin: "Now, the general here has already informed us of the events that... transpired last night, but now that you've rested, we were wondering if you had anything to add."

Glynda: "Was anyone else with her? Did she look familiar to you at all?"

Ruby: "I... I don't know. She was wearing a mask, and she never said anything to me. But I know she fought with glass. I don't think that was her Semblance, though. Her clothing lit up whenever she attacked."

Glynda: "Save for the glass, that sounds like the woman I fought the night we met Ruby."

Ironwood: "Embedding Dust into clothing is an age-old technique. It could have been anyone."

Ruby: "Wait. You think this girl is connected to Torchwick and the White Fang?"

Ozpin: "It's possible. But we still lack the required evidence to link the two together."

Ruby: "Actually, I... I think I remember her saying something about a hideout, or something, in the southeast. Just outside the Kingdom."

Ozpin smiles at the very obvious lie.

Ozpin: "Interesting."

Glynda: "I thought you said the intruder never-"

Ozpin: "Thank you for your cooperation, Ruby. Why don't you go and spend some time with your team? You have a big day ahead of you."

Ruby: (leaving) "Any time."

Ozpin: "And Miss Rose."

Ruby stopped and turned to face Ozpin.

Ozpin: "Please try and be ... discreet about this matter."

Ruby: "Yes sir."
.
.

Ruby opened the door to her room after having a meeting with Ozpin, Glynda, and Ironwood.

As soon as her teammates noticed her they were right at the door looking at her expectantly.

Yang: "What happened?!"

Ruby: "Ahaha... uh... well."
.
After explaining what went down in the meeting to her team they all sat around thinking about what they had learned. Blake and (y/n) sat closer then normal on his bed. While Yang and Weiss stood near Ruby.

Weiss: "That was a risky move."

Blake: "No, I think you handled it well."

Ruby: "I hope so..."

(Y/n): "You're the leader, whatever decision you make we'll follow."

Ruby smiled a little.

Yang: "I'm sure everything will be alright."

Yang then remembers something.

Yang: "Oh I know something that will cheer you up!"

Yang walks over and picks up a cylinder package on the desk.

Ruby: "What's that?"

Yang: "I don't know yet, dad sent it to us. I thought we could open it together!"

Ruby: "Oooo!!! Something from home!"

In a blink there were rose petals where Ruby once stood as she was now on Yang's back waving her arms trying to get the package.

Yang shakes the package a bit and a black furry Cylinder plops into the ground.

To everyone's surprise it wiggles and jumps around a bit.

(Y/n): "Uh do cylinders usually do that?"

Suddenly it jumped and turned into an animal.

Everyone leaned in and looked at it.

Dog: *bark!*

Yang and Ruby cheer lifting their hands in the air, Weiss cowers in fear, Blake jumps into the air then using (y/n)'s face as a spring board jumps up onto Ruby's bunk.

Ruby: "ZWEI!!!"

Blake: "He sent a dog?!"

Weiss: "In the mail?!"

Ruby is cuddling a happy Zwei

Yang: "Oh he does this all the time."

Blake: (hiding on Ruby's bunk) "Your father or your dog?"

Weiss: "Are you telling me that this mangy... drooling... mutt is going to wiv wif us foweva? Oh, yes he is, yes he is! Oh, isn't he adorable!"

And even the ice queen seems to have her heart melted by cute dogs.

Blake on the other hand...

Blake: "Please keep it away from my belongings."

Yah not so much. (Y/n) slowly stood up shaking his head as he did trying to rid his vision of the stars and cats that filled his vision.

Glynda: (Over the intercom) "Would all first-year students please report to the amphitheater?"

Weiss: "Well, we can't exactly leave him here while we're gone for the week."

Ruby sets Zwei down and he walks over to Blake still on the top bunk, and barks. This scares the girl.

Yang: "Look, there's a letter!"

Zwei walks up to Yang and plops into a sit next to her.

Yang: "Dear girls, I've got to leave the island for a few days, so I'm sending Zwei to you to take care of. Enclosed is all the food you should need. Love you both, Taiyang."

Dozens of cans of dog food spill out of the small package, piling up around Zwei.

(Y/n): "Uh..."

Weiss: "What is he supposed to do with that?"

(Y/n): "That's your question?!"

A can opener falls from the package, bouncing off Zwei's head.

Yang: "Well, that settles it! Come on girls, Zwei will be here when we get back!"

Weiss: (talking to Zwei as she leaves) "Oh, I'll miss you so much, we're going to be best friends, I can't wait to see you."

(Y/n): "If that dog is alive when we come back I'll dye my hair."

He turns walking calmly to the door.

Blake suddenly jumps from Ruby's bunk onto (y/n)'s head as she tries to avoid Zwei.

(Y/n): "AHHHH! BLAKE WHAT THE HELL!"

Blake: (pulling (y/n) out of the room) "GET ME OUT OF HERE!!!"

(Y/n): "AHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!"

Blake continues to hold on as (y/n) stumbles and trips his way out the door.

Ruby looks at Zwei and thinks about (y/n) with dyed hair. She grins smugly finding a way to kill two birds with one stone. Zwei looks afraid of Ruby.
.
.
Time skip brought to you by chibi Blake hissing at chibi (y/n) holding, a somehow smug chibi Zwei up to her, with a smirk on his face.
.
.
Soon Team RWBY entered the packed Auditorium followed by several other teams. Followed by Ruby who is lugging around a rather large backpack.

(Y/n): "What's with the bag Rubes?"

Ruby: "Oh! Uh nothing just stuff."

(Y/n) raises an eyebrow at her suspiciously but any further questioning is stopped by Glynda

Glynda: "Quiet! Quiet please. Professor Ozpin would like to share a few words before we begin."

Ozpin: "Today we stand together, united. Mistral. Atlas. Vacuo. Vale. The four Kingdoms of Remnant. On this day, nearly eighty years ago, the largest war in recorded history came to an end. It was a war of ignorance, of greed, and of oppression. A war that was about much more than where borders fell or who traded with whom, but about the very idea of individualism itself. We fought for countless reasons, one of which being the destruction of all forms of art and self-expression. And as you are well aware, that was something many could not stand for. As a result, those who opposed this tyranny began naming their children after one of the core aspects of art itself: color. It was their way to demonstrate that not only would they refuse to tolerate this oppression, but neither were the generations to come. And it was a trend that is held to this very day. We encourage individuality, expressionism, and unity through diversity. As I have said, today we stand together, united. But this bond cannot exist without effort. Which is why today, while the rest of the world celebrates peace, Huntsmen and Huntresses will work to uphold it. As first year students, you will be tasked with shadowing a professional Huntsman or Huntress on a mission. Some of you may be taken out of the Kingdom for several days. Others may work within the walls for the rest of the week. But no matter which path you choose, remember to be safe, remember your training, and remember to do your very best."

Ozpin steps away as the students all begin to file out of the amphitheater.

Ruby: "This is perfect! All we have to do is shadow a Huntsman working in the southeast!"

Yang: "Yeah! We'll follow them around by day and give them the slip by night!"

Weiss: "Let's check 'search and destroy'!"

Team RWBY approaches a hologram screen.

Ruby: "Here we go! Quadrant 5 needs Grimm cleared out!"

Blake: "Well, it's in the southeast."

Yang: "Sounds perfect!"

Ruby selects it and types in her team name. However, the screen says that first years are not allowed to take this mission.

Weiss: (sarcastic) "Wonderful!"

Blake: "Any other ideas?"

Ruby: "We mail ourselves there!"

(Y/n): "NO!"

Ozpin: "Well, that's one option."

Ozpin suddenly appears. Causing them all to turn around sheepishly. (Y/n) however stands at attention.

Ozpin: "Unfortunately, we determined that the concentration of Grimm was too extreme for first-year students. It seems that particular region is rather popular. In fact, I have the sneaking suspicion that you four will make your way there no matter which job you choose."

Weiss, Blake, (y/n), and Yang glare at Ruby, who nervously rubs her head.

Ruby: "Whatever makes you say that?"

Ozpin: "I'm still curious how you all found yourself at the docks last semester. I'm interested to know how you really learned about a hideout in the southeast. And I certainly wonder why witnesses reported seeing robots and rose petals in a dance club some time ago. Or my personal favorite civilians complaining about 'almost being killed by a black knife before a boy appeared and vanished just as quickly'."

Ruby: "Um... well..."

(Y/n): "Lawyer."

Ozpin smiles a bit chuckling quietly

Ozpin: "I doubt I'll ever find the exact answers I'm looking for. So how about this: instead of waiting for you all to break the rules, why don't we just bend them?"

Ozpin selects some things on his scroll, and the hologram screen makes a noise.

Ruby: "We won't let you down. Thank you, professor."

Ozpin: "Do not thank me for this. Teamwork and persistence have carried you far. But you must understand, the things that await you beyond the protection of the Kingdom will not care. Stay close to your Huntsman at all times, and do exactly as he says. He will be leading you on this mission, and he can have you sent back to Beacon, if he finds your skills to be unsatisfactory. Good luck."
.
.
Team RWBY had left the Auditorium and began their walk to the landing pads.

Yang: "That wasn't exactly uplifting."

Blake: "But it's the truth."

Ruby: "It's gonna to be tough, but I know we can do it!"

A student runs past the team bumping to (y/n) he picks him up by the shoulders

(Y/n): "Hey watch it!"

Student: "Sorry! Team CFVY is back!"

(Y/n): "What?!"

(Y/n) still carrying the poor guy, sprinted off to the adjacent landing pad.

Beacon students gather around to witness the return of Team CFVY. The girls of Team RWBY go to talk with Velvet. (Y/n) however...

(Y/n): "BOOOOYSS!!!"

(Y/n) raises his arms in the air at the sight of Fox and Yatsuhashi, finally dropping the student. He runs over to them for a double high five with both boys.

Yatsuhashi and Fox raise their arms in the air also yelling. The three starts punching the air going "ye, ye, ye...."

Blake: "Velvet? Are you okay?"

Velvet: "I'm fine. I had Yatsuhashi to look out for me... who's over there, doing whatever the boys do."

Yang: "You get used to it."

Weiss: "Your mission was supposed to end a week ago! What happened?"

Velvet: "Nothing happened. It was just ... there were just so many... Oh, but don't worry. You first-years are just shadowing Huntsmen, so you should be fine."

(Y/n) walks back over to the group letting Yatsuhashi and Fox go check in their arrival. He smiles and waves to Velvet who smiles back.

Yang: "Right."

Velvet: "I should go. Be safe, okay?"

Ruby: "We can do this. We've never backed down before, and we're not going to start now."

Blake: "Right."

Ruby: "Besides, it won't only be us out there! We'll be fighting alongside a genuine Huntsman!"

Yang: "Yeah!"

Ruby immediately regret her words upon returning to the landing pad.

Oobleck: "Why, hello children! Who's ready to fight for their lives?"

(Y/n): "Doc!!!"

(Y/n) was smiling ear to ear seeing as his favorite teacher would be the huntsman they shadow.

The rest of the team was mortified.

Weiss: "Professor Oobleck?!"

(Y/n): "Doctor Oobleck, Weiss, Doctor."

Oobleck nods his thanks to the boy.

Oobleck: "Yes, I'm afraid those bags won't be necessary, seeing as you've opted to shadow a Huntsman on what is now essentially a reconnaissance mission. I can assure you, we will not be establishing a single base of operations; rather, we will be traversing several miles of hazardous wasteland and making camp in any defendable locations we may stumble upon. I packed all of our essentials myself, plotted our air course, and readied the airship."

The girls are in a state of shock so much so that when (y/n) pushed Blake gently, she just rocked side to side like a stiff cardboard cut out not even noticing.

Oobleck: "Come now, children; according to my schedule, we are already three minutes behind!"

Oobleck zooms back to the bullhead.

The rest of them just stand there Ruby returns to her upbeat attitude.

Ruby: "Well, alright then! Looks like we're going to save the world with Doctor Oooobleck-"

Her depressed attitude returns

Ruby: "-okay yeah when you say it out loud it sounds worse."

Nora: "Save the world?!"

The team turns to see JNPR

Nora: "You're going on world-saving missions without us? I'm hurt... sad! Maybe a little hungry? That last one's not your fault, though, Ren..."

Ren, for his part, simply crosses his arms and turns away. (Y/n) pats his friend on the shoulder.

(Y/n): "Oh Ren, first rule about dealing with a girl you like, just give them what they want sometimes, they'll complain less."

(Y/n) feels a shiver go down his spine, he turns around slowly and sees Blake glaring daggers at him.

He chuckled nervously and whistles, slowly taking a step to hide behind Ren.

Jaune: "Sounds exciting. Where ya going?"

Ruby: "Oh, just outside the kingdom..."

Nora: "Hey! So are we!"

Pyrrha: "Ren and Nora wanted to shadow the sheriff of a nearby village."

Ren: "We set out tomorrow."

Neptune: "Then you can party with us tonight!"

Neptune and Sun approach the two groups.

Neptune: "We're shadowing a crime specialist. All inner-city detective stuff. We get junior badges."

Jaune is awestruck.

Sun: "We normally go to the city with you guys, which means stuff's always exploding and junk, so we thought this might be a better way to check out the kingdom when it's, you know... normal."

(Y/n): "Hey we're normal!"

Ruby: "Well-"

Oobleck appears from the airship to call to Team RWBY, who are embarrassed:

Oobleck: "Four minutes!"

He ducks back inside the bullhead to wait.

Ruby: "Well uh... wish us luck!"

Team RWBY walks over to the ship while the others return to the school.
.
.
The bullhead flies at a low altitude outside the Kingdom (y/n) is sitting by the door with his legs hanging out the side, Weiss stands by Oobleck, Yang stands with Ruby and Blake, all three holding onto the hand holds hanging from the roof.

Yang: (To Oobleck) "I guess I just never saw you as much of a fighter."

Oobleck: "I admit I fancy myself more of an intellectual, but I can assure you, as a Huntsman, I've had my fair share of tussles."

Ruby: (Tilting her head in confusion) "Like the mushroom?"

Blake: (Leaning over) "Those are truffles."

Ruby: (Still scratching her head in befuddlement) "Like the sprout?"

Yang: (also leans over) "Those are Brussels."

Ruby: "Oh like the-"

(Y/n): "Ruffles."

Ruby looks down sadly, still not understanding

Oobleck: "Besides, given my expertise in the field of history as well as my dabblings in the archaeological surveys, our dear headmaster saw fit to assign me to this particular... assignment!"

(Y/n) turns his head to listen in better.

Weiss: "What does history have to do with this?"

Oobleck: (Turning sharply on Weiss) "Why, what a preposterous question, you silly girl! Why, history is the backbone of our very society! And the liver! Probably the kidneys, if I were to wager."

(Y/n): "Not the heart?"

Oobleck: "Don't be ridiculous Mr. Sato!"

(Y/n) just shakes his head with a smile and turns back to look out at the passing landscape.

Weiss: "And that means..?"

Oobleck: "The southeast quadrant outside of Vale is home to wild forests and deep caves, but it is also the location to one of the kingdom's greatest failures!"

Ruby, (y/n): "Mountain Glenn..."

Yang: "That's right! It was an expansion of Vale... but in the end it was overrun by Grimm and fenced off from the rest of the city."

Oobleck: "Correct! And now it stands abandoned as a dark reminder."

Blake: "And a likely place for a hideout."

Oobleck: (adjusts his glasses) "Precisely!"

Pilot: "We're here!"

The team all get ready as the Bullhead slows to a hover. (Y/n) stands and stretches readying himself for a fight. Everyone else readies their weapons and stands by the door.

They all leap out into the destroyed streets below the girls have their weapons drawn in anticipation for an attack. Oobleck stands holding his coffee canister. (Y/n) stands calmly holding Yoru in his left hand.

Oobleck: "You five still may be students, but as of this moment, your first mission as Huntresses and Huntsmen has begun! From this point forward, you need to do exactly as I say! Do you understand?"

They all nod

Oobleck: "Ruby! I thought I told you to leave all of your bags back at the school."

Ruby: "But, uh, you hadn't told us to listen to you yet. So I didn't."

Oobleck: (To himself) "She's not wrong..."

He turns his attention back to her

Oobleck: "Very well, Ruby; leave your bag here, we can pick it up upon our return."

Ruby: "But I, well uh-"

Oobleck: "Young lady, what in the world could you possibly have in that bag that could be so important to bring it with..."

Oobleck is interrupted as the bag's zipper opens and out pops Zwei's head, causing everyone to stare at the uninvited guest.

(Y/n) remembers his comment back in the room.

(Y/n): "NOOOOOO!"

Ruby: (whispering) "Get back in the bag..."

Zwei barks.

Oobleck: "We're here to investigate an abandoned urban jungle teeming with death and hostility, and you brought... a dog?"

Ruby: "I, uh..."

Oobleck: "Genius!"

Oobleck zooms by Ruby taking Zwei Ruby is dazed and sent spinning by the good Doctor.

Oobleck spins in place with Zwei outstretched in his hands.

Oobleck: "Canines are historically known for their perceptive nose and heightened sense of sound, making them excellent companions for a hunt such as ours!"

Zwei barks happily as if proud of himself.

Ruby: "I'm a genius."

(Y/n): "You cheated this doesn't count."

Ruby simply grins smugly at him.

Blake: "So, what are your orders, Doctor?"

Oobleck: "Ah, yes, straight to the chase; I like it!"

He suddenly lets go of Zwei.

Oobleck: "As you've been informed, the southeast area has been marked as a recent hot spot for Grimm activity. Now, there are several possible explanations for this behavior, one of which being... Grimm."

Ruby: "Uh, what?"

Oobleck: "Grimm. A creature of Grimm approximately one hundred yards from us at this very moment."

Yang: "What?!"

They turn quickly spotting a lone Beowolf wandering into the street, they all get ready to attack.

Oobleck: "Stop!"

(Y/n) stumbles forward having to stop mid step

Blake: "Huh?"

Oobleck: "There are a number of reasons why Grimm will congregate in this particular area, the most likely of which will be their attraction to negativity: sadness, envy, loneliness, hatred. All qualities that are likely held by our hidden group harboring ill intent."

(Y/n): "So we follow it?"

Oobleck: "Precisely! We wait. We track. If this specimen leads us to its pack, that pack may subsequently lead us to our prey."

Blake: "How long do we wait?"

Oobleck: "It's uncertain. Hours, days, weeks. Why, lone Grimm have been known to stay isolated from the pack for months - and there's the whole pack!"

Weiss: "What?"

They turn to see that more Beowolves have arrived near the first.

Oobleck: "And now they've seen us."

Weiss: "What?!"

Oobleck: "And now they've seen us!"

(Y/n): "Guess we're their target now."

Oobleck: "An accurate assumption, yes."

Yang: "What's the plan then?"

The creatures begin running at the group.

Oobleck: "Show me what you're capable of."

Ruby ready's Crescent Rose to fire.

Ruby: "Cover your ears Zwei!"

Zwei curls into a ball and uses his front paws to cover his ears.
.
.
(Y/n) POV

You and Yang charge the incoming Grimm first followed shortly by Weiss and Blake, Ruby stays back to provide long range support.

Yang punches a Beowolf in front of you knocking it to the ground, thinking quickly you use it as a spring board and jump off of it to the left, using a quick Iaido technique you draw fatebringer, and 3 Beowolves are felled in one swing.

All around you, everyone utilizes their own methods too kill the beasts. You however have a different method. Summoning Yoru you throw it in between two rows of enemies. Vanishing you appear near Yoru and cut down a Beowolf and vanish once more only to appear and cut down another. You repeat this process until you get to the end and reappear once more to grab Yoru out of the air. Behind you lie 8 dead disintegrating Grimm.
.
.
No POV
.
.
Everyone stands around the dead pack of Grimm, examining their handy work, when Oobleck walks up to them getting their attention.

Ruby: "Heh, Piece of cake."

Oobleck: "Do not celebrate yet, for I am certain this is the first bout of many. Shall we continue?"

And continue they did, fighting a countless number of Grimm, while Oobleck was... examining the dirt? They all panted heavily after finishing off the last group.

Oobleck: "Excellent work! Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be any signs of criminal operations in this sector. Oh, well! Moving on!"

He continues forward.

Yang: "Hey, Doc, y'know, I was actually looking forward to seeing a 'pro Huntsman' in action. Like, fighting, or at least, helping us fight?"

Oobleck turns his head as he walks

Oobleck: "Ah, but I am in action! Scouring the ruins of this once-great city for any signs of irregularity!"

He stops and turns to face the team.

Oobleck: "Not every mission is filled with daring and heroism, children. Sometimes it's just a heightened form of extermination! Remember, this is a job, and you all signed up for it. I do hope you understand that."

Yang answers but doesn't sound so sure.

Yang: "Well, yeah... O-Of course!"

Oobleck: "hmm"
.
.
.
Oobleck stood back as Yang finished off another Beowolf.

Oobleck: "Tell me Yang, why did you choose this line of work?"

Yang: "Huh? Well, to fight monsters and save-"

Oobleck cuts her off

Oobleck: "No, that is what you do. I want to know why you do it. The honest reason as to why you want to be a Huntress."

Yang: "The honest reason? I'm a thrill-seeker. I want to travel around the world and get wrapped up in as many crazy adventures as I can. And if I help people along the way, then that's even better. It's a win-win, y'know?"

Oobleck: "I see."
.
.
Oobleck sat lounging in a high windowsill, writing in his notebook. The sounds of combat can be heard a short distance away as Weiss battles a few Beowolves. One runs right pats Oobleck paying him no mind.

Oobleck: "And you, Miss Schnee? A girl born into fame and fortune such as yourself certainly doesn't need the extra work. So... why choose this over a cushy job in Atlas?"

After Weiss impales the last foe on her blade and drops the body, she turns to answer the Doctor.

Weiss: "It's exactly as you said. I'm a Schnee. I have a legacy of honor to uphold. Once I realized I was capable of fighting, there was no longer a question of what I would do with my life. It was my duty."

Oobleck: (nodding) "Interesting."
.
.
Blake cuts down a boarded up door way, attempting to breach and clear the room. Tiny Nevermores fly out at her causing her to back away with a flip and fire gambol shroud into the sky killing every bird with precision.

Oobleck leans into the door inspecting the insides before turning to Blake.

Oobleck: "And what about you, Blake? You seem to carry yourself with a sense of purpose."

Blake: "There's too much wrong in this world to just stand by and do nothing. Inequality, corruption... Someone has to stop it."

Oobleck: "Very well. How?"

Blake looks down in thought.

Blake: "I, Uh..."

Oobleck "Hmm's" to himself, then dashes away, leaving Blake to bow her head in troubled thought.
.
.
Oobleck sits atop a large chunk of building while he watches (y/n) load a wind dust cartridge into Fatebringer and cut down a small pack of Beowolves.

Oobleck: "And you Mr. Sato? Why do you want to be a Hunter?"

(Y/n) sheaths his blade and turns to the doctor.

(Y/n): "I don't really have an answer sir."

Oobleck just looks at the boy

Oobleck: "Allow me ask you a different question then. Why do you get stronger?"

(Y/n) thinks for a moment.

(Y/n): "I never want watch my loved ones to get hurt or worse killed, because I wasn't strong enough to stop it. Not again..."

Oobleck frowned a little.

(Y/n): "Sir, can I ask you a question this time?"

Oobleck: "Of course."

(Y/n): "Did you want become an instructor?"

Oobleck: "Let me answer your question with another question."

He gestured his arm to the ruins of the city.

Oobleck: "What do you see here?"

(Y/n): "A tragic failure... a failure that shouldn't have happened."

Oobleck: "Yes on that we can agree. However it did happen, and we can't stop something from happening once it already has. But there's nothing stopping us from preventing something like this from happening again."

(Y/n): "Learn from the past to stop it in the future."

Oobleck: "Precisely. That is why we study history, and it is my job to educate the current and next generations on the mistakes of the past, in hopes that they will not make the same mistakes over again. It is my duty to bestow upon each of my students the knowledge to change the world."

(Y/n): "Change the world huh..."

Oobleck walked off leaving (y/n) in thought.
.
.
Later, Ruby is seen using Crescent Rose to hold a whole cooked turkey over Zwei who's jumping trying to get a bite. When she notices Oobleck watching her she quickly hides her weapon and the turkey behind her back

Ruby: "Sorry! Are we ready to keep going?"

Oobleck: "Nope! I believe that will have to do for today. It's going to be dark soon."

He throws his bag over to Yang, who makes a sound when she catches it

Oobleck: "You four, set up camp in that building. Oh, and please do make sure there are no more of those... creatures. Your leader and I are going to secure the perimeter. Come, Ruby."

Ruby walks off with Oobleck as the rest of Team RWBY make their way inside to set up camp.
.
.
Weiss, Yang, Blake, and (y/n) sat around the camp waiting for the return of their leader and mentor.

Yang: "I can't believe we didn't find anything..."

(Y/n): "It's only been one day. These things tend to take time..."

Blake: "We've always been fortunate enough to be in the right place at the right time. I guess we can't always have luck on our side."

Weiss seems distracted.

Weiss: (Off-topic) "That's not what I meant."

Blake: "Huh?"

Weiss: "Earlier, about... upholding the legacy. There's more to it than that."

Yang: "Yeah... No, me too. I mean... I don't know."

Blake: "I don't know, either. I know what I want to do, but I figured I'd always take things one step at a time."

(Y/n): "I didn't have an answer to begin with..."

Yang: "Well, it doesn't matter. We know why we're here. Right?"

(Y/n): "Do we?"

They all looked down somberly.

Oobleck and Ruby walked back into the room returning from their perimeter check.

Oobleck: "Ah, wonderful; a textbook campfire!"

Ruby: Fire! So... warm...

She immediately crouches down to warm her hands near the fire.

Oobleck: "Very good! Eat your dinners and hurry to bed. We have a lot of ground to cover tomorrow and we'll need you to take turns keeping watch over our temporary abode. Any volunteers for first watch?"

Ruby: "Yo."

Oobleck rushes off, and Ruby gets up to go over to her lookout point.

Yang: "Hey, did Oobleck ask you why you wanted to be a Huntress? I mean... what did you tell him?"

Ruby: "Hmm... No, he didn't. Weird. Oh well, good night, guys!"

Ruby, carefree as always, just continues on her way.

Yang looks disappointed in the lack of an answer. Blake is similarly troubled as she unrolls her mat, Weiss tries lying down but fails to sleep, Yang half-heatedly eats her dinner of bread rolls, and (Y/n) stares at his darkened reflection in Yoru.

Deciding enough is enough all lie on their backs around the fire, weapons within easy access, each wondering the same thing: why are we here?
.
.
A/n: I don't really have anything to say here... uh. Chicken nugget. I don't know, I'm sorry it was kind of a bad chapter there wasn't much to change that wouldn't dramatically effect the way things happen. Plus I wanted to keep it relatively the same. I think this arc is where the characters truly began to mature as Hunters.

By the way Oobleck's reason for being a Hunter in the show is by far one of my top 3 monologues in the entire show. Anyway I hope you enjoyed and as always have a good one. Cheers!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

255K 7.5K 87
Daphne Bridgerton might have been the 1813 debutant diamond, but she wasn't the only miss to stand out that season. Behind her was a close second, he...
747K 27.5K 102
The story is about the little girl who has 7 older brothers, honestly, 7 overprotective brothers!! It's a series by the way!!! ๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ’œ my first fanfic...
194K 4K 46
"You brush past me in the hallway And you don't think I can see ya, do ya? I've been watchin' you for ages And I spend my time tryin' not to feel it"...
440K 11K 60
๐‹๐š๐๐ฒ ๐…๐ฅ๐จ๐ซ๐ž๐ง๐œ๐ž ๐‡๐ฎ๐ง๐ญ๐ข๐ง๐ ๐๐จ๐ง, ๐๐š๐ฎ๐ ๐ก๐ญ๐ž๐ซ ๐จ๐Ÿ ๐ญ๐ก๐ž ๐ฐ๐ž๐ฅ๐ฅ-๐ค๐ง๐จ๐ฐ๐ง ๐š๐ง๐, ๐ฆ๐จ๐ซ๐ž ๐ข๐ฆ๐ฉ๐จ๐ซ๐ญ๐š๐ง๐ญ๐ฅ๐ฒ, ๐ฐ๐ž๐ฅ๐ฅ-๐ซ...