The Bad Batch: A Heart-breaki...

By betheyes

One of the batchers has been acting strange according to Omega but the brothers don't acknowledge it. So Omeg... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Chapter 49
Chapter 50
Chapter 51
Chapter 52
Chapter 53
Chapter 54
Chapter 55
Chapter 56
Chapter 57
Chapter 58
Chapter 59
Chapter 60 - Final Chapter

Chapter 2

206 1 1
By betheyes

For once Hunter didn’t know what to do, there he sat at the table in the kitchen watching as Echo and Tech’s chest rose from the living room sofa, the two having fallen asleep while watching a disney movie that Omega enjoyed so much. Speaking of the kid, Omega lay asleep on her blanket of forts with Wrecker as her pillow. The giant asleep snoring the day away. Hunter sighed, squeezing his hand slightly, the one which held his phone in a death grip, he was in all honesty scared. Losing someone dear to them was foreign to Clone Force 99 and for it to be Tech and Crosshairs, biological dad. Well technically 99 was a parent to them all ever since they met the man when the twins had joined the boot camp when they were about 13. The two had been having trouble in school and were going to get kicked out unless their behaviour improved so 99 had heard of a programme to do with the army and registered his boys. Hunter still remembered the day standing in the hall when 99 pulled in two quiet boys, one deadly silent the other rambling due to nerves. Hunter instantly knew they would be friends and Wrecker agreed. It turned out Wrecker and Hunter were brothers, Hunter being the older one, lost over their years due to being in Foster Care but it all changed when they signed up to join the programme too. Let’s just say 99 had a big impact in the creation of Clone Force 99, since they did name themselves after him. 

Losing 99 impacted them all, Hunter placed his head in his arms as he looked at his phone waiting for what he thought would be a dreadful phone call on the way. Until what sounded like the rev of an engine outside had him jumping to his feet. “Hunter, what’s wrong?” Wrecker grumbled detaching himself from Omega while climbing to his feet, Hunter frowned. “Sorry I thought I heard…” Hunter was cut off by the front door opening and keys being dropped into the bowl they had beside the door. Wrecker expected the slam but it never came, soon enough the door shut and an individual appeared looking worse for wear in the doorway, Crosshair. 

“Hey Cross, how you…” Hunter grunted as a body slammed into his waist, he looked down to see Hera. “Hey Hunter! I’m sorry but Cross said I could come, If this is a bad time it can…but…something happened to mum and dad and…” Hera was almost hyperventilating, the ex-sergeant was quick to drop to his knees and hug her. “Shh, it’s alright. I’m sure we can figure something out, meanwhile, you can stay here with Omega” Hunter reassured the young muilti-coloured hair girl who just smiled back. Wrecker smirked as a groggy Omega woke up only to shout loudly in excitement at her girlfriend. 

Sadly, her shout woke Tech and Echo who both remained quiet watching the exchange. Hera hiccuped holding Omega close, soon enough the two girls ran upstairs and into Omega’s bedroom. “What’s going on?” Tech grumbled turning around only to freeze when he saw his twin standing in the doorway looking dreadful. Crosshair remained silent placing Hera’s bag down by the stairs, he then proceeded to drop his stuff beside it where his weapon remained. The ex-marksman was actually still a marksman but at the minute was a part-time paramedic. “Hera’s staying until further notice” Crosshairs blunt reply caught them all off guard, it was so cold. 

“Cross, What’s happened?” Hunter asked, not moving towards his husband because of the way Crosshair looked ready to bolt at any moment. “Cham is in hospital, Hera’s mother didn’t make it” Crosshair reply was short as he moved across the room to the kitchen bypassing Hunter who frowned at his husband. “Cross?”. “It was my fault, I missed the sniper aiming for her parents. Eleni realised something was off, told me to grab Hera. I did just that but…” Crosshair took a gulp of his water, the rest of them watched as his hands shook. Hunter reached over to hold one, Crosshair nodded, “Tarkin is alive”. Gasps admitted around the room, “How you killed him!” Echo cried out, almost getting in Crosshairs face, Tech pulled him back. They were all super emotional; they didn’t need anymore fights. “I did straight through his forehead, I should know. I served time because of that bastard so I don’t need reminding” Crosshair shot back at Echo. “Enough! Cross just tell me the truth!” Hunter shouted gaining all attention including two children who peaked in from the doorway. 

“What happened!?” Hunter demanded crossing his arms looking more intimidating than ever, especially with the way Wrecker hovered over him. Crosshair sighed taking a deep breath, 

Recent Events…

Crosshair sat staring out into the darkness of the early hours of the morning, all he intended to do was tell Tech about what had happened to their father. 99. Why did it have to happen to them? 99 still had many years left, yes he had served his time but he was a father to them all including the ‘regs’. A smirk fell on his face as he thought back to when 99 told him the nickname he had for his brothers back in his day which prompted Crosshair to do the same but instead of his ‘brothers’, he just called everyone who wasn’t part of Clone Force 99, ‘regs’. He didn’t care back then, all he cared about was missions. Screw the orders he wasn’t one for them. 

His phone pinged updating him on a nearby Job, it was at the Syndulla Residence without warning he slammed his foot on the gas of his Ducati 848. It was black and Silver, he had worked so hard to earn it, he even did basic maintenance on it with his twin now and then. Even though Hunter despised the bike, his husband enjoyed a ride now and then when he wasn’t in a mood. Crosshair even gave Hunter the chance to drive it now and then. In a rare case, Tech did too but his twin refused to get on the deathtrap or so he called it.

Crosshair was aware of Hunter’s cries of his name after he left the house after arguing with Tech. But, Cross couldn’t just sit around and play happy families, he wasn’t going to say sorry not when all he was trying to do was tell Tech their father had passed away in his arms. A puddle of water knocked him out of his thoughts as he sped into the darkness, it didn’t take him long to reach the Syndulla Residence. He pushed the bike faster when he noticed the place was up in flames. No emergency services had arrived yet so he made sure to be discreet, parking the bike where he normally parked it under a tree. Grabbing his sniper which was hidden in the plating of the bike, he ran for the residence of close friends. 

Looking up he noticed Hera’s bedroom window was open, so using the grappling hook he managed to pull himself up onto the balcony ledge. See the thing is Cham Syndulla is a very rich man and the wealth he carries, others want so they take extreme risks to get it and sometimes that means Cham would hire people to take out the ones causing harm to his family. So that is where Crosshair came into play, on the side Crosshair was what people would essentially call a hitman or a bodyguard who was incredibly good at their job. The ping Crosshair had received earlier showed Cham was in danger and Hera was the target. It didn’t help that Crosshair was the Clone Force 99 and the most wanted person in the universe, so Cham made sure Crosshair remained off any lists but it came at a cost. Crosshair had to protect Hera no matter what, it didn’t matter to Crosshair. Since Hera was Omega’s girlfriend. The worst thing Cham had ever tasked him with, was a promise and that promise could destroy his life in the future if it ever went ahead. 

Crosshair blinked remembering the conversation he had with Cham:

“Crosshair I need you to promise me something before you leave to do that job for me?” 

“What is it?” Cham smiled at the marksman’s response, he grabbed Crosshair’s hand. 

“Promise me, if it ever comes down to it and the failsafe fails. I need you to takeout the evidence of the Syndulla Family Inheritance” 

“I don’t understand, Cham. What are you asking of me?” 

“I…Crosshair, I need you to kill my daughter”

“What!” 

“Please just listen”

“This better be good, Cham!”

“Hera is the key to everything I have ever built. I gave her something and if it falls into the wrong hands and she is taken, I will never forgive myself. They can’t get her, do you understand?!” 

“Why?” 

“Because she is the key” 

“What bloody key?!” 

“The key to the wealth of the Syndulla. There is a group after us called ‘The Tarkshan’”

“The terrorist group!” 

“Yeah and on top of that we are royals Crosshair” 

“Oh Fuck!”

“If she is taken and married off, it means…”

“Hera will be killed either way”

“You are correct Crosshair, that is why I would rather…”

“Understood”

“Crosshair”

“....”

“Crosshair?” 

“...”

“I understand, I’m sorry I have had to ask you of this. I know what she means to you” 

“...”

“I only ask, that if anything ever happens to me that you take her in and raise her the way you did with Omega unless I ask you to kill her” 

“...”

“I truly am sorry, Crosshair”

“...”

“CROSSHAIR! LOOK WHAT I HAVE!” Three year old Hera ran into the room holding a black and blue tooka doll, it matched Omega’s at her nursery. Crosshair kneeled down pulling the young girl into a hug. He sent a glare at her father before he left without intending on saying bye to Cham, not after their latest conversation. 

“CROSSHAIR!” The marksman was snapped out of his thoughts by a cry of his name, he looked up to see Hera running towards him. She looked terrified. “Where are you parents?” Crosshair asked, hugging the child and wrapping her up in his spare jacket. “I don’t know, there were explosions and bangs. Mother told me to run while Father told me to text you” Hera explained through tears. “Grab what you need and I will see if I can find your parents. You remember the old enclosure where we use to play?” Hera nodded, “Climb out the window and head towards it, you will find my phone and bike. Ring Rex and tell him Code:0176. Can you do that for me?” Hera nodded, taking Crosshair’s spare knife in case anything happened while she escaped. Crosshair didn’t move from the window until Hera had reached the tunnel leading to the bike hidden in the bushes. He frowned looking around the room until his eyes landed on what he was looking for. He stalked through the corridors of the enormous mansion, just why did it have to be so big he thought, who needs this much room.

“Dammit I can’t find the kid!” Someone called up ahead, Crosshair scaled up the wall so he was perched high. The marksman took out his dart gun and silencer, quickly he attached them to the gun. He was about to take aim when, “Boys, we have the parents. The brat doesn’t matter, Tarkin's orders”. Crosshair froze quite literally, it took him a second or two to recover but when he did, he made sure to take out the three invaders before he took off down the corridor. With only the accuracy of a sniper he took out six men without them even admitting a sound. Soon enough, he found himself on a chandelier above a huge table where Cham and Eleni were being held at gunpoint, the two looking bored with the gunmen whose interrogation needed some work on. 

Cham had the urge to look up and when he did a smile fell on his face. 

“I do hope you are smiling because you are about to hand over the money?” A stern yet arrogant voice broke through Cham’s chain of thoughts. The wealthy man turned only to come face-to-face with the leader of the group, “No I am smiling because the darkness is coming for you” Cham joked earning himself a slap. “Cham!” Eleni cried from where she was restrained. “Enough games, oldman! Hand over the money or…” 

“Or what?” A whisper reached all their ears just as the lights went out. Gunfire filled the area, Cham made sure to connect the line with the police who would have heard everything. Soon enough the call cut off and the lights flickered back on revealing Crosshair standing behind the now two untied wealthy people. Eleni smiled recognising the cloak Crosshair was wearing, “Where’s Hera?” “Safe” Eleni smiled, hugging Crosshair who tapped her back. The intruders were all tranqued and tied up. A gun clicked behind the two, Crosshair swivelled around only to gasp. 

Cham held a gun towards the two of them, “I’m sorry but this is the way it has to be” 

“Why Cham?” Eleni cried out still behind Crosshair who tightened his grip on his gun. 

“I’ve told you, Hera must die. I’ve tried to kill her even after we murdered her actual parents. We need the funds, Eleni! She isn’t ours!” Cham yelled, pushing himself forward until the gun was against Crosshair’s shoulder, the marksman having not moved. 

“But! We raised her! She is ours!” Eleni shouted defending Hera, yes they had stolen her. 

“Crosshair, I’m sorry this is the way it has to be” Cham exclaimed, he was in the process of pulling the trigger when Crosshair twisted the gun and it clattered against the floor. 

“You will not be killing Hera or anyone if I have anything to say about it!” Crosshair yelled through gritted teeth. “Why do you care so much? I will pay you double of what I normally pay. She is just a child!” Cham shouted, throwing Crosshair off guard. Crosshair frowned, pulling his gun up, “Just a CHILD!” Crosshair lost his anger, he punched Cham repeatedly in the jaw until Eleni kicked him backwards. 

“You will regret this! Your father deserved to die yesterday! I made sure of it!” Cham shouted, “YES It was my men who killed him! It’s what you get when you don’t take out the targets I pay you for!”. Crosshair lost it. He picked his sniper up and shot without thinking, Eleni jumped in the way of the bullet. Eleni’s body slumped backwards into her husband’s arms. 

Crosshair gasped looking at his hands, he slung his weapon on his back. “I will get you for this Crosshair. Tarkin knows you're alive. You will not survive a second time” Cham exclaimed watching as the marksman disappeared out of the window just as the doors to the room were broken open by the police force. Rex frowned coming upon a scene, he wished he hadn’t. Noticing a knife on the floor, he watched Fives quickly hide it, knowing the two recognised it anywhere. 

“Rex! Hera she’s…” Cham cried out holding his dead wife to him, playing the innocent victim.

“Who did this Cham?” Fives asked, coming to kneel beside Kix who was head of the paramedics. 

“Tarkin did this, his men!” Cham cried out, he was aware of the piercing eyes glaring at him through the window from a famous marksman. 

“Where’s Hera?” Fives asked once his men came up empty on the search. 

“I asked someone to take care of her while her mother…” Tears fell down his face. Rex nodded, taking everything in. He wasn't looking forward to the conversation he would be having later with Cody and Clone Force 99. 

Crosshair stalked off into the early hours of the morning where he left his bike and a crying Hera. The young girl looked up at his approach, he noticed the headset piece in her ear. 

“So you heard? '' Crosshair said with remorse. Hera nodded, “Cross, you're not going to, you know?” “No” “But why, it's a lot of money” “Because you mean so much to Omega” “Thanks Cross but that’s not it, is it?” “No, I know what it's like to lose a child and for someone to want to kill one, it…” “It’s okay, thank you Cross. I mean it” Crosshair nodded, hugging Hera before placing her on his bike, in front of him. 

“Cross?” 

“Uh-huh” 

“I’m sorry for Lucas”

Crosshair didn’t answer as he revved the bike, “Me too”. The bare whisper barely reached Hera who held tighter to Crosshair’s arms. “So am I living with you now” “Always” Hera smirked revving the engine for some fun, awaking all the neighbours. It was worth the giggle from Hera.

Present…

“OMG!” Omega cried out startling the adults from the doorway, Hera had tears down her face as she made her way over to Crosshair who remained impassive, even when she hugged his waist and he wrapped her up in his own. Crosshair used to babysit her when he was home from the war and even on missions, he was basically an uncle to her. The marksman when he visited the Syndulla residence rarely ever left without spending time with Hera even if it was just for a minute.

“Cross?” The marksman looked up into the grey eyes of his lover, “Uh-huh” Crosshair grunted out as Hera left his arms and followed Omega out of the room. The marksman gazed around the room to see the desperate looks from each of them, “What?” he snarked. That was all it took as Hunter pulled Crosshair into his chest for a fierce hug. Crosshair latched onto him and openly sobbed, Tech gasped when he was pulled from the room by Echo and Wrecker. The two suggesting Hunter needed space with Crosshair. The engineer didn’t know how he felt considering how he needed to speak to his twin desperately. 

A knock on the door startled them out of their thoughts, Echo watched Wrecker walk over to the door and open it to reveal an unhappy looking Cody and two miserable people, Rex and Fives. “Can we come in?” Cody asked, although Wrecker heard the question he knew it wasn’t a request, it was a demand. The powerhouse of the group just nodded, directing the group into the kitchen where they found Hunter and Crosshair, the marksman still hugging Hunter but had his back turned and only sniffles could be heard. Hunter noticed their presence first, he sent a private silent hand signal message to Crosshair who cleaned himself up just before turning around to see the three police officers. He groaned out-loud.

“Crosshair” Cody said his name with such hate, it felt weird to hear it in person rather than over the phone. “You have caused me too much trouble this week and it's only Wednesday!” Cody roared in anger, getting in Crosshairs face, the marksman remained impassive standing rigid. “But, you have managed to solve one of the coldest cases in history” Cody admitted out loud, “You now have full custody of Hera until she is old enough to make decisions for herself, you are her official guardian” Cody announced with a smile as he passed over the folder regarding Hera’s documents. Crosshair grabbed them from Cody who smiled at him for a minute until dropping a very famous knife on the table at his feet. “Now Explain this!”. 

“I was hired,” Crosshair bluntly said, gasps filtered through the room. 

“Crosshair! You Promised!” Tech exclaimed looking at the bloody knife.

“Relax, I didn’t kill anyone this time” 

“This time!” It was Echo’s turn to shout, Hunter shook his head as he looked at his husband with anger. 

“Cham hired me to do a job, I knocked everyone out. Didn’t finish the job. Eleni died not my fault. Cham was meant to” Crosshair blatantly admitted. Cody grimaced and nodded while taking notes, “You do know if you worked for us, you could get away with more than enough” Fives jokes. Crosshair glared, “Do I need to serve time again or Can I just admit that I have been working for you this whole fucking time yet!” Crosshair shouted, his tone was gradually getting more snarky with a hint of anger. 

“Crosshair enough!” Hunter grabbed Crosshair’s shoulders to calm him down but also to prevent this from getting any worse than what it already was. However, Crosshair seemed to pick a different option.

“No! Father’s dead because of me!” Crosshair admitted, Wrecker moved to wrap him up in a hug when Tech shoved Wrecker aside and grabbed Crosshairs face in his hands, “Cross! This is not your fault, how can this be your fault?” Tech searched his twin's eyes. “If I had just taken out the targets Cham asked me too, Father would still be alive!” Crosshair admitted throwing his hands up in the air, Hunter took this opportunity to hug his conflicted husband. 

“Crosshair, if you don’t mind me asking. Who was the target?” Rex asked from where he was cleaning the knife in the sink with Fives leaning on the counter. Crosshair grumbled something which earned him a slap on the head, he looked up to see Cody glaring at him. “Me” Crosshair admitted slumping back into Hunter’s arms, his husband had frozen. “You?!” Fives exclaimed, “Yeah me, I’m the main problem Cham has. He asked me to do something that I will never do. Not after losing Lucas” Crosshair admitted out-loud. “And that was?” “Kill Hera”

All action stopped in the kitchen, the only sound was the tap occasionally dripping. 

“Crosshair, do you hear yourself!” Rex shouted earning the marksman attention, “If it weren’t for all your intel and undercover work, Cham wouldn’t be behind bars now. You have saved many lives because of what you have done”. Rex was pushed backwards by an angry marksman, “Yeah! And LUCAS Would still be alive!” Crosshair glared at the room, Hunter pulled him tighter to his chest. 

Rex and Fives shared a look with Cody, “Someone is going to have to explain who Lucas is?” Cody admitted out loud looking confused. Echo turned to Hunter who sighed, “Lucas was our son, Crosshair gave birth to a still-birth baby boy and he blames himself because he fell from a ledge when he was tasked to take out Admiral Tarkin for Cham” Hunter explained while holding his close to breaking down husband. Yes, Hunter was not happy with Crosshair but he would put it aside for now. 

“Oh, I’m sorry. How long ago?” Fives asked Echo who raised three fingers, “Three months ago”. Rex shook his head holding tightly to Five's hand, “We are sorry, I didn’t know” Cody admitted as he looked at the lethal marksman in Hunter’s arms. “Crosshair?” Cody’s voice filtered into his ears, Crosshair looked up “You are relieved of duty until further notice. No more Police work, okay” Cody pulled Crosshair into a hug, the marksman not even fighting it, instead relaxed. “I’m done with your jobs for good this time” Crosshair admitted out-loud, “But, I am still available for any criminal ‘accidents’, I don’t want them on the street” Cody nodded accepting the terms, “Oh, Kix was asking if you would drop by something to do with Jesse” The voice of Rex made him nod as he moved to the sink and grabbed another cup of water. 

“We better get back to the station and clear up this mess” Cody suggested to the two immature officers next to him playing with a plastic bag, “Bin that and let’s go” Cody ordered as he left the house, leaving the file on the table for the marksman. Rex groaned walking out the door after a short bye. “Crosshair, are we still good for Friday?” Fives asked, Crosshair nodded, taking his knife off Five’s who smiled, said his goodbyes and practically skipped out of the door. 

So I decided to release Chapter 2 but this book is on hold for the time being!
Let me know what you thought about it in the comments.
Thank you to those who have read, voted or already commented! :)
There should be another update in a week or two's time! Please be patient!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

145K 4.6K 45
When she was asked to join the Bad Batch she though little to nothing about it. I mean she was a doctor after all and her job was to make sure the cl...
15.5K 441 58
Aurora Ealis is a Bounty Hunter who thinks that it's best to be alone in life. With no one to care for, loss wouldn't be as such of a big deal. Well...
54.3K 1.8K 94
*SEQUEL* to my first TBB fanfiction titled "Stealth and Track" The adventures of Fern, Omega, and the boys of the Bad Batch continue after the destru...
164K 5.1K 64
Order 66 has been initiated...And yet, the Bad Batch, besides Crosshair, are excluded from the ruthless act. When they return to Kamino, they learn t...