What If Instead Of...

By athephomis

The 2nd book of the 'What If...' series🖤 /A romantic novel with some features of a dystopia close to reality... More

Preface
1 Vivian
2 Vivian
3 Vivian
4 Aiden
5 Vivian
6 Vivian
7 Vivian
8 Vivian
9 Vivian
10 Aiden
11 Vivian
12 Vivian
13 Vivian
14 Aiden
15 Vivian
16 Vivian
17 Aiden
18 Vivian
20 Vivian
21 Vivian
22 Vivian
23 Vivian
24 Vivian
25 Vivian
26 Vivian
27 Vivian
28 Vivian
29 Vivian
30 Vivian/Aiden
31 Vivian
32 Vivian
33 Vivian
Soundtracks

19 Vivian

102 4 14
By athephomis

"I thought we were going to eat right in the cafe," I admit as we get into the car.

"I'm just in a hurry so I don't forget about the surprise again," explains Aiden.

The guy starts the car, and I can't hide my panic, "Wait, are you going to eat while driving?"

After what happened with Grace and a series of subsequent events, I developed paranoia about safety. It seems as if recently I am not a person at all, but a bundle of fears and anxieties.

"Hmm, yeah, I've done that before," Aiden replies confidently.

However, his answer is not convincing enough for my nerves.

"Let's eat now, I think I won't be able to eat on the go," I coax, taking a burrito out of the bag and handing it to the guy. I'm afraid if I start explaining the real reasons, he'll think I'm crazy.

Thank God, Aiden gives in without further ado. After taking one big bite, he reaches out to turn on the player (I didn't even notice that we were driving in silence all this time – I was so carried away by the pictures flying past behind the glass), and adjusts playback via his phone.

"I knew I wasn't going to read the book, so I found an alternative way to get acquainted with what you love."

Aiden's words are followed by the sound of music. Men sing out of the speakers in a long drawl: "Ships go to sea – they have a long way to go...", echoed by women, "And the sails float away like clouds..."

"What is it?" I justify the expectations of the guy with my surprised look.

He grins in response, "Listen on," and continues to enjoy the meal, while I excitedly rub the package of my burrito, listening.

After this short musical introduction, the announcer informs that a radio performance based on Alexander Grin's story "Crimson Sails" will follow.

My eyes widen with delight, Aiden pauses the audio at this time.

I smile with happiness and bite my lip to keep from squealing.

"Did you download this specifically for the trip?"

The guy chuckles, reveling in his triumph, "No, actually I uploaded the audio after I found your notebook with quotes, read the summary on the Internet and got a tattoo. It seemed to me that I was obliged to read the full text, especially since the story is quite short. "

I can't believe we are going to listen to this story together now. I want to express my joy, but then my hungry stomach lets us know about itself.

"Eat in peace, the road is long, we'll all make it," Aiden assures, suddenly becoming serious.

By the time I finish my burrito, he's already finishing his coffee.

"You can get moving, I think I'll be able to drink in motion – a cup is with a lid," I say, wanting to start listening to the audio performance as soon as possible.

The guy looks at me and at the lid with disbelief, but, nevertheless, starts the engine and goes back to the track.
I need to buy a keepcup like his: it will be more reliable than a flimsy disposable cup from a cafe, and besides, it is more environmentally friendly. I had a similar one at home (beige, of course).

"Can I turn it on?" Aiden asks teasingly, looking at me sideways. As if he doesn't feel that I'm burning with impatience!

"Uh-huh," follows a deliberately short and restrained response on my part.

The car's cabin is filled with the solemn voice of the narrator. I look at Aiden, sipping my slightly cooled coffee, and feel my whole body bursting with happiness.

I've listened to audiobooks before, but, of course, only those that fit the censorship. I could not even dream that I would ever openly listen to the book that was my biggest secret in life, and even in the version of the play, and even with a guy next to me.

"Your boyfriend," suggests my subconscious, and for sure my cheeks are blushing at this moment, because for me, despite everything, it's still terribly unusual to realize that I'm in a relationship, and it hasn't been that long since I've been on this side. Who would have thought? This is all madness.

I again cast a curious glance at my madness behind the wheel, trying to read on his face what he thinks about the story he hears. The guy meets my gaze with a slight smile, and I hurriedly turn away under the reason that I need to take another sip.
In fact, I see the same pleasure in his face that I feel myself, and this makes me smile stupidly through the side window. I think I would have felt the same way if Aiden had gone to the theater with me then. I just have to do everything to make it happen one day!

So we go, glancing at each other from time to time and admiring the local scenery. The curved ridges of the mountains are already visible from here.

The audio performance lasts no more than two hours. This new format gave me a huge boost of strength and inspiration – the story seemed to come to life in front of me. Just now an amazing thought came to my mind: what if there is also a film adaptation? What if there are movies based on all my favorite books?!

I can't see myself from the outside, but I'm almost sure that my eyes are shining enthusiastically.

"How do you like the story?" I ask Aiden cautiously while he selects a playlist for later playback in the remaining couple of hours of the road.

"Not bad, but you can't say it's about love or relationship," the guy replies.

It would be naive to expect that he would treat it with the same trepidation as I do. I once again fell for the bait of my inflated expectations.

"What is it about then?" I sincerely wonder.

"Hmm... about a dream, about a meeting. This is certainly a beautiful, but still a fairy tale," the guy begins. "After all, we find, in fact, only the moment of their acquaintance. We don't know anything about what happened afterwards. Maybe he landed her on a nearby island or sold her to pirates."

I roll my eyes, smiling and sighing at the same time.

"What? Am I not right?" Aiden spurs on.

Of course, I follow the logic in his words, it just didn't occur to me to look from this point of view.

"This is also a story about hope and faith. I don't think Grey would have put in so much effort if he wasn't serious," I retort.

In fact, it has only just dawned on me that in real life people want to "meet a soul mate" as if that's it, as if happiness would be for everyone at once right after the meeting. And how much more is waiting ahead after that... For some reason, rarely any stories tell about what happens next. Of all that I have managed to read here so far, almost none. This realization is shocking and partially breaks my pink glasses.

Sensing my tension, Aiden turns on a playlist with a dancing girl, with which I am already well acquainted (I already know some songs by heart) and gently touches my hand, giving me a short apologetic look, "This is a beautiful story, I just have a slightly different perception."

"No, no, you're right. I've been living in my own world of far-fetched illusions for a long time," I finally agree, covering his palm with mine, "But, you know, it helped me not to go crazy. It's nice to believe that at least book characters get their happiness in the end, to come up with a positive development of events when your own life is falling apart."

I really don't want to give in to sadness right now, so I reach out to turn up the volume a little  and start singing along, thereby surprising the guy sitting next to me. Honestly, I'm so tired of feeling sorry for myself. Sometimes I spend so much time on memories and experiences about days gone by that I forget to be in the moment and just live. If I don't change this state of things, then no one will change it for me.

By the time we arrive at our destination, it's almost completely dark outside the window. And, as I feel, after opening the car door, it got colder suddenly. This fact reminds me that there are not many warm clothes in my wardrobe, and there are no warm clothes at all with me right now.

While Aiden is figuring out which house we need to move into, I carefully look around, hoping to spot Leo and his girlfriend. I can't wait to meet her. There is no end to my assumptions – I devoted about an hour of the road to thinking about a mysterious stranger, and now I'm literally burning with impatience, wondering which of them will eventually be confirmed.

"Leo will be waiting for us at one of the cafes on the territory in half an hour," Aiden informs, removing the phone from his ear, "We'll have to look for something warm for you - it's cold in the mountains at night."

We get back in the car, and in a few minutes we get to our place for the next four days.

It's strange: the trip was comfortable, but for some reason I feel exhausted. To the point that I even decide not to change clothes, but to stay in jeans, a T-shirt and sneakers.

Aiden gives me the key and goes to pick up our things from the trunk.

Entering the cabin, I instantly feel an extraordinary comfort (probably because the interior is of natural shades and the room is not very large: downstairs there is a kitchen and a living room with a TV and a fireplace, upstairs there is a bedroom with a balcony and a bathroom.

While I'm looking around, Aiden comes in.

"Do you like it?" he asks, putting his arm around my waist.

"Very much," I answer simply but honestly.

"Take this, we'll have to walk, and I don't want you to freeze," the guy adds, helping me put on his leather jacket.

"Thank you."

I hope he has something warm to wear himself.

I giggle softly when I notice my reflection in the mirror on the wall – Aiden's jacket looks comically oversized on me, however, it's better than nothing.

The territory of the base is quite extensive – the cabins are located at a decent distance from each other, and numerous cafes, restaurants and other establishments are at least 10 minutes away – everything so people would be able to enjoy the peace and quiet of nature.

I can't wait to walk around these places in the light of day: it's already too dark for witnessing the full picture.

Aiden holds my hand tightly and at the same time texts to Leo to clarify where we should go after all. Apparently, he is not so moved by the upcoming meeting. At least, he still hasn't said a word about it.

"Here they are," the guy says and confidently moves to the entrance of one of the cafes. I still can't make out the couple in the window in these short moments.

Well, surprise means surprise.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

Hades By sarah

Teen Fiction

156K 4.2K 34
They say gut feelings are your guardian angels, Ella Thomas will soon find out that hers was leading her to something she could never imagine existed...
1.8K 184 32
All her life Khloe Jenkins took her humanity for granted. An unexpected death has her seeking out her close friend. She discovers from her friend abo...
25.8K 3.9K 37
harlow and vincent together was like fire. sometimes those fires can be lethal to a point they can no longer be put out - the only thing you can l...
470K 15.9K 32
A retelling of the Hades and Persephone myth, a story of fate, the struggle for power, and love found in the most unexpected places. ...