Your Majesty - Loki x OC

By FragmentLunatic

All Freyja wants is to see Odin, King of Asgard, dead and she is willing to kill him by any means necessary... More

Preface
1: Politics and Petty Arguments
2: Consequences
3: Raiding a Palace (In Style)
4: Two Bad Options
5: Splendid... He's Angry
6: Calder had it coming
7: Part of a Plan
8: Keep Your Guard Up
9: We All Have Our Secrets
10: I Need a Nap
11: Magic Lessons
13: Poison Ivy
14: Hello, Mother
15: Don't Hold Back
16: Welcome to Midgard
17: Chocolate Cake
18: A Good Day
19: Mortals are strange
20: Magic Lessons, Part Two
21: Shopping Spree
22: Remember to be Charming
23: I'm Listening
24: The Dreamwalker
25: Traitor.
26: Mother was Right
27: Monsters
28: Not Another Word
29: The Guest of Honor
30: To Dance or Not to Dance
31: Help me Understand
32: You're a Seer
33: All in favor?
34: I've Always Cared
35: Search the House
36: We Can't Kill Odin
37: Why So Blue?
38: Cold.
39: Go down fighting?
40: May the Royal Challenge Begin
41: Fight or Die
AUTHOR'S NOTE (this will mysteriously disappear later)
42: Massacring My Cloak (For a good cause)

12: The Day After Tomorrow

7 1 0
By FragmentLunatic

FREYJA

I couldn't tell which was funnier: dumping ice water on Loki to wake him up, or yelling him into awareness.

Biting my lip to keep laughter from escaping me and giving away my position, I stood over Loki's bed, gazing down at his sleeping form.

I had given him an extra few hours to rest and grabbed him a tray of breakfast since the cafeteria had already closed until lunch, but now it was show time.

This is going to be amusing. With the silent grace of a panther, I knelt down and moved my head close to his ear. Sucking in a slow breath, I readied myself then let it all out.

"THOR IS HERE! WE'RE UNDER ATTACK! CALDER STOLE YOUR BOOKS! GET UP!"

He shot bolt upright, a panicked yell tearing itself from his throat. I completely lost it in laughter as Loki's head whipped around, looking for a threat only to see me.

"When I said to wake me up 'politely', that is hardly what I had in mind." He grumbled.

His appearance only made me laugh harder. His hair was a mess. It vaguely resembled a tangled, raven colored birds nest. His eyelids hung heavily over his green eyes as he tried to blink himself into complete awareness and the sheets were tangled around him.

"I..." I gasped for breath between fits of hysterical laughter. "YOU SHOULD HAVE SEEN YOUR FACE!" I stepped backwards and promptly tripped and fell on my back, the stone floor knocking the wind out of me so the laughter turned to wheezing.

He scowled down at me, pushing the sheets away from him. "I'm glad I amused you so." He said blandly, standing up and offering me a hand.

I took it and let him hoist me to my feet.

"What time is it and why don't I feel tired?" He asked, walking to a corner and picking up his jacket from off the floor. It was actually the first time I had seen him with bare arms.

My eyebrow crept up as the muscles in his bicep bunched and relaxed with his movement. Whatever his exercise routine was, I needed to try it because he was muscular on a level I could never even dream off. Not bulky muscle, but slender muscle that suggested hidden strength.

I forced my mind and eyes away, my brain scolding them like they were misbehaving children. "I let you sleep in a bit. Breakfast is over but I grabbed you a plate."

"Good, I could eat my arm off." He mumbled as he pulled his jacket on. Stumbling over to his mirror still half asleep, he flicked his wrist and with a flash of green light, there was a comb in his hand.

I jogged to the door and pulled it open, looking left then right and slightly down, smiling at Sigurd, who had hidden just around the corner. "Did you hear him yell when I woke him up?"

He grinned from ear to ear. "I did. I'm sure it was all the funnier to see it." He handed me a tray of food then took off down the hallway.

Using my foot to shut the door, I strode back inside and gingerly set the tray down on the top of the almost empty bookshelf. There were six books on it, all of them mine.

I would've spent last night reading, like usual, but I couldn't get over the fact that the only time I actually managed to do it was to hit Loki in the face with a book.

So instead I tried to make the magic work again, but to no avail. As I sat there on the floor, waiting for Loki to satisfy his vanity and make himself presentable, I closed my eyes and focused on the image of the book shelf and the books on it, trying to conjure up a clear image...

I cracked an eye open. Maybe if I really stretched my luck, it shifted just a little bit, but other than that, it remained still.

"Please tell me you didn't stay up all night trying to do magic." Loki said, collecting the tray and sitting on the floor, shoving it down his throat as if it were the last meal he would ever eat.

I crossed my arm, sitting down in front of him. "What do you care if I did?"

"I don't." He mumbled around a mouthful of biscuit. "I'm merely wondering how much work I'm going to have to do this evening, when you practice again."

"Knowing my progress." I said dryly. "About the same amount as yesterday."

He nodded solemnly and continued eating. "You'll get it eventually. It will come with time."

"Yes, but how much time?" I probed, eager for answers and impatient for progress.

His chewing faltered slightly as he thought. "It depends, but it took me years and years to master, to put it into perspective."

"Unfortunately I don't have years." I growled. "The siege on the palace will be in maybe a couple months at the very most. It would be helpful to have figured it out before then."

"I hate to break it to you, but that may not be possible." He said, with a gentle tone that seemed to surprise both of us. He quickly corrected it. "I'm sure you'll get over it."

"I always do." I grumbled angrily. I wasn't sure why I was so upset. For my entire life, I only had my combat abilities and my mind reading magic. That was all I needed.

I suppose now the only thing that changed was the fact that now I knew I could potentially do more, but I couldn't yet. And it was pissing me off.

After Loki was done eating, I really didn't have much of an idea of what to do for the day. I didn't have to train anybody today, which left my schedule completely open.

"Would you like to go outside first?" I asked him as we walked down the hallway with no real destination in mind. "I didn't go out yesterday."

He nodded in agreement, and as we veered down the path to the exit our steps mixed with those of the people we passed.

It was more overcast today than two days ago. Gray clouds covered the sky like heavy blanket, obscuring the sun and making the wind pleasantly cool against my skin.

"After being in that glorified cave," Loki remarked as I found the path to my favorite clearing. "It is dreadfully bright out here."

I chuckled. "Close your eyes then, see where that gets you."

"I already know where that would get me." He said. "It would end with me tripping on something and falling on my face in a none too dignified manner."

"So you have a brain after all." I teased him. I glanced over my shoulder and was a bit taken aback by the sullen look on his face. "What's wrong?"

He sighed then forced his face neutral. "Nothing." He couldn't have said it in a less convincing way. "Just thinking."

"What about?" I pushed, almost tripping over a tree root. I slowed so I was walking beside him, our steps synchronizing.

He gave me a sideways glance. "Why do you care?"

"First of all, you can't use my words against me." A smirk tugged at the corner of his mouth. "Secondly, I care because I'm not heartless, contrary to popular belief. If I can help you 'think' I may as well try."

We emerged in the clearing, the trees around us swaying in the breeze. Loki collapsed in the grass, legs crossed and leaning back on his hands.

"Who ever said you're heartless?" He asked mildly as I sat down in front of him.

I bit my lip. Arvid, Eira, Jari, Calder... Mother. I thought, but instead I said "You're trying to change the subject."

"Is it working?"

"Not in the slightest."

A sigh broke free as Loki tucked a loose strand of midnight hair behind his ear. "You're not going to let this drop, are you?"

"Not in the slightest."

"And what if I chose to simply not tell you?" He challenged with a raised eyebrow.

I shrugged. "You will sit there and be miserable for the rest of the day." I said truthfully. "Frankly, sulking people don't usually make for pleasant company."

"Says the person who makes a frequent habit of sulking." He pointed out.

My fingers ran over the carpet of grass, tearing up a few blades. Give it a few days and the dandelions will start blooming.

"Touche, but you're changing the subject again." A smile crept across my face. "Come on, what is on your mind?"

"You know Freyja, you can be incredibly annoying sometimes." He muttered, his voice carrying to my ears on the wind.

I grinned. "Indeed I can."

He glared at me. "Okay, enough. What is the catch?"

"What do you mean?" I asked, genuinely confused. Why would there be a catch? I am many things, but 'manipulative' is not one of them.

Anger filled his voice, coating his words with hatred, but at what I wasn't sure. "I've lived a long time. Long enough to know that nothing good is ever free. What are you trying to get from me?"

"Loki," I said softly. "Small acts of kindness don't need to have a price tag attached." Even as the words left my mouth, I knew how hypocritical it was for me to say.

Silence filled the clearing, filled only by the rustling of the trees and songbirds singing somewhere nearby.

For a while, Loki just watched me, a cautious expression written on his face, as if he were facing a lion, not a person. I was almost ready to believe he wasn't going to say a thing, but then he spoke.

"I was thinking about Odin." He relented at last. "My father was... never very kind to me. He always treated me like I was less than Thor. Looking back, it was because of this..."

I sat and watched, transfixed as he raised his hand and rolled down the sleeve of his jacket. Blue crept across his skin, eating away at his pale complexion. Slight ridges stood up on his hand and arm, just a shade lighter than the rest.

For the first time, I was looking at the real Loki.

"But beyond that, he would actively verbally attack me, along with Sif and The Warriors Three." He continued. "I was just thinking about some of the things they said."

Horror spread through my entire body, eating a hole in my stomach. "Was it something I said?" I asked, every insult I had ever used on him returning from memory, particularly the jab about him not having a brain a few minutes ago. "If it was, I am so sor... "

"No, no, no. Freyja, relax." He said quickly, holding his hands out to quiet me. "It wasn't your fault. I've been thinking about it for a while."

My shoulders slumped with relief. I met his eyes, trying to untangle the complex web of emotions in them. Hurt, shame and doubt formed scars on his soul.

"Loki, I want you to read my mind." I said abruptly.

"Why?"

I shook my head, shocking even myself. "I need you to know that what I'm about to say is the truth."

He frowned but closed his eyes. At the same time, I experienced what felt like a tickle inside my skull, creeping from the crown of my head to the base of my skull.

"Loki Laufeyson," I stated, trying to ignore the sensation of having him in my head. "I want you to feel welcome here. I want you to be able to trust me, and I want you to know that there are people who care about you and your well being. I also want you to know that all those things they said are lies. Sure, you aren't perfect. Sure, you have done bad things. But you still deserve to be treated like a person, and never let anything anyone says convince you otherwise."

I was relieved when his presence withdrew from my mind. I hated the vulnerability of it. It left all the things I wanted to keep hidden exposed.

Wondering how he would react, I looked up at Loki, who still had his eyes closed. My breath caught in my throat as I watched a single, glistening tear slide silently down his cheek.

His eyes opened and his gaze locked on me. Some part of me must have looked alarmed, because he flashed a reassuring smile. 

"You have no idea how badly I needed to hear that." He whispered, his voice cracking slightly half way through the sentence.

Loki then hastily wiped the tear away, letting out an embarrassed chuckle as he ducked his head. "My apologies."

"No apologies needed." I waved away his previous statement. "Didn't that help?"

He hesitated a moment. "In a way, yes."

"Good, I wasn't sure if it actually would or not." I admitted, my smile dissipating the glare he gave me. "I thought it would, but it was a gamble. But hey, I was right, wasn't I?"

"You were." He said begrudgingly. "There. I said it. Happy?"

I smiled wider. "Very."

A pleasant silence settled, and I eventually found a spot with no branches above me and sprawled out in the grass. However, with no sun to warm me the early spring chill soon became a bit uncomfortable, even with my maroon jacket on.

"I don't know about you, Frost Giant." I said lazily, sitting up. "But I am getting cold."

"I wouldn't be against going back to The Mountain Hold." He offered, standing to his feet. "Lead the way."

I stood up and brushed off, and was about to start walking when Loki caught my arm.

"Freyja?" He began gently as I faced him. His eyes settled on mine. "Thank you." In those two little words was a vast waterfall of emotions that poured over me at once, but most prominent was gratitude. At that, moment I knew he was thanking me for so much more than just our little talk.

As we made our way back to base, I couldn't help but think about how unusual the conversation that transpired was.

For the first time since I had met him, Loki had completely let down his guard. He had taken off the tough layer of armor he always wore and opened up to me about something very, very personal.

This is a good thing. I told myself. Trust will make him more willing to help the revolution.

But even as I thought it, I felt something shift in my mind. In that moment, I realized with a sudden jolt of horror that I didn't particularly want him to trust me, as advantageous as it would be. Everyone who did suffered in one way or another.

I didn't know if I could handle watching it happen to someone else. Not after last time.

As we walked, I shoved the thought to the back of my mind, content to ignore it. I escorted Loki to his room, bade him farewell then set off to find the one person I really wanted to see right now.

Just as I expected, I found her in her study, her empty eyes staring blankly into the fire roaring in the fireplace, illuminating the room around her.

"Freyja." Eira guessed as I walked in.

I collapsed in a chair beside her. "The one and only."

A warm smile crossed her face, the edges of her eyes wrinkled with the expression. "I figured you might be around."

"Of course you did." I said as I tilted my head back and gazed at the ceiling. "Any word from Arvid?"

"As a matter of fact, yes." She stood up and grabbed her cane, hobbling to her desk. "A Midgardian man came through the tesseract portal and dropped it off."

She placed a letter in my hand, returning to her seat. "I haven't had a chance to read it yet."

I snorted, but ran my finger along the edge of the letter, tearing it open. Delicately unfolding the paper within, I began to read:

"Dearest Eira,

Things go well down here in Midgard. Much to my surprise, Loki has a large number of supporters and a good quantity of them are willing to help supply our army. However, they grow impatient. They are all eager to meet Loki face to face. Do send him as soon as possible.

Also, a few things you should know: When he comes, may he come with great caution. A group called S.H.I.E.L.D has been searching for him relentlessly. Thankfully, they haven't found him yet (I wonder why). I'm not sure how they know about his planned return, but when he does come he must be wary of both S.H.I.E.L.D and The Avengers.

I hope things are going well in Asgard. If you aren't too busy, tell Freyja I send my best.

P.S. I sent the tesseract back with the messenger. It lets off a detectable energy reading, jeopardizing our secrecy.

-Arvid"

The only sound was the crackling fire as Eira and I absorbed his words. I risked a glance at her out of the corner of my eye, knowing fully well I would be the one to accompany Loki to Midgard.

"Eira," I said softly. "What's S.H.I.E.L.D?"

"I haven't the slightest." She replied. "But regardless, who would win: a mortal or an Asgardian?"

"It depends on the mortal and it depends on the Asgardian." I answered. "For instance, if the Asgardian is me then the outcome has already been determined."

She laughed, an airy sound that seemed to ring through the chamber. "Your arrogance is not unwarranted. I've seen you fight before, Freyja. You are a force to be reckoned with."

"You haven't 'seen' me fight before, but thank you."

"Which is why I am sending you and Loki to Midgard the day after tomorrow." She continued.

I felt my jaw hit the floor. "You're what? Eira, I need more time. Loki is..."

"Loki is your idea and therefore your responsibility." She interrupted. "If he is unprepared, you have tomorrow to prepare him."

I growled deep in my throat, every last drop of anger and frustration I felt infused into the sound. "Why can't we wait?"

"Sigurd has informed us that the palace is in turmoil after Loki's 'escape' and we need to take advantage of the disorder as much as we can." She explained.

I felt my heart sink. There was logic in her words, and we both knew it. "I had best be going then." I stood to my feet. "Every second counts."

"Indeed it does."

A second later, I was running at a full sprint down the hallway. I counted four people I almost hit and two I actually did, but I didn't slow.

"LOKI!" I yelled as I burst into his room. Comically, he flinched hard enough to make the book he was reading falling to the floor.

He scowled at me. "Freyja, what the...?"

"We leave for Midgard the day after tomorrow." I said urgently, the words falling from my tongue. "There... there is no..." I doubled over, out of breath.

Loki stood up and hurried over, helping me upright with a hand on my shoulder. "Slow down, what happened?"

I hastily explained what happened and told him Eira's decision. His expression turned graver and graver as I told the story.

"And so," I concluded. "We're going to the cafeteria so I can find someone else to watch you. I have an errand to run before we leave."

It wouldn't be fair of me to leave for Midgard without telling her. She hated my guts, but she was still my Mother. I just... thought I would have more time.

To my surprise, he didn't argue. He didn't complain. He didn't try to fight me on it in any way. He simply nodded and said "Let's go then."

Ideally, I would've gotten someone from the council to babysit. However, it was just my luck that I walked into the cafeteria and found the only trustworthy person sitting alone at a table, his signature, innocent grin scrawled on his face.

Good enough. "Sigurd!"

His face broke into a wider smile as he looked up and saw me. "Hello Freyja! What are you...?"

"There is no time to explain." I cut him off, dragging a very offended looking Loki over. "But in short, I need you to watch this one."

"I will not be tended to by a child." Loki huffed indignantly.

Struggling to keep my composure, I gave him a glare. "You will actually, because I said so. Sigurd, if he tries anything, let me know when I get back. You boys have fun."

I gave them both a smile and an encouraging nod. Before they could even complain, I was gone. Gone to visit my childhood home, and possibly worse, my mother.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1M 46.8K 118
Loki, of Asgard, wants revenge. Revenge on those who have hurt him in the past. He is surprised when that revenge comes in the form of a girl. And a...
8.6K 345 32
You're a very powerful being due to a curse from millions of years ago. You're from a universe where magic is bad and dishonorable. So...
194K 7.8K 33
"NOW LIGHT A MATCH, STAND BACK, WATCH 'EM EXPLODE" // MIRA LAM is a fiery hothead who doesn't exactly give two cents about the world around her. Tha...
41.7K 1.3K 20
An 'unbreakable' love created two heirs to the Asgardian throne, children of the God of Mischief and a mere female mortal who changed him for the bet...