My Favourite Dream

By pepper16__

Parineet Rajeev Bajwa. She doesn't resonate with this name anymore. She can't be married to a guy like him. A... More

Introduction
1. Fallen (apart)
2. On the Edge
3. Doctor! Doctor!
5. Darasal
6. The Girl He Never Noticed
7. The Appointment
8. First Session
9. Coffee with Taran!
10. Friends?
11. Choked.
12. The Ugly Truth.
13. A Bipolar?
14. Come fall in love.
15. Planning to be hers.
16. It's Useless!
17. Asking and Masking!
18. Are you Parineet?
19. Love is stupid.
MFD Ships
20. Emptiness!
21. The Starry Night.
22. Friends turned Lovers!
23. Missed Me?
24. Home
25. My Favourite Reality.
NEW BOOK!

4. Tinker - bell?

561 38 9
By pepper16__

Taran's POV

"I can't believe that you told the nurse that you are married, that too in front of  your patients." Ayaan laughed, while dipping into his seat more. He's has been my best friend over the years since we happened to work at the same hospital. Unlike others, he got close to my family in a very short period and he is a keeper of all my truths and lies.

"that too when the nurse knows my status. Everyone in the hospital does but what should I have done? Mujhe Kritika se nhi milna tha. She's so plastic." I bit my lower lip in embarassment, while running my index finger and thumb over the bridge of my nose. A small smile crept on my face.

"I wonder tujhe hi saari esi ladkiya kyu milti hain. Till now you have met all the kind of wannabes." He jumped in his seat and said with sarcasm in his voice and then laughed. Teasing me is his favourite job, sometimes more than his medical practice.

"Ha! ha! ha! Keep laughing you jerk. But I agree main hi kyun." I said dramatically, resting my head in my hand. Whenever we are together, we both act as if we are high on something. It's either laughter or laughter. Ayaan is a great company to have - a brilliant psychiatrist and a non judgemental friend who understands why I do what I do. He won't support me in my bad habits but won't also judge me when it's necessary to do something chaotic.  Phew.

"Major reason is your mom. Aunty apni har friend ki beti ko tere paas bhej deti hai." That's why I call him my best friend. He knows it all. My mom! Ms Neeta Ahuja, dear wife of my late father has been in a clear haste for my marriage, post his demise. I don't know what has gotten into her that she has been sending all the possible proposals straight to my work place. And till now, not a single girl has been her real self, in front of me. Forget spending a lifetime with them.

"I swear dude. I want to get married too but those girls - goodness! Mai single rehna jaada pasand karunga - " before I could finish, my better half completed the dialogue.

"- Rather than marrying those bimbos." Ayaan said. Sometimes I think if we would have been gay, we would have found our happily ever after in each other.

Ewww. Stop it Taran!

"Correct."

"I pity you boy." Ayaan said taking a round in his revolving chair which stopped and he was facing me only. His line of questions didn't stop, for today, we have met after a whole week, despite of working in the same hospital at just different floors. I was very busy with surgeries and line of patients last week and he was away for a three days long seminar in Nasik.
"By the way where did you meet Kritika?"

"In a pub. Tabhi to usse jhoot bolna aur aasaan tha. Otherwise mom would have told her that I'm damn single." I bragged as if I am a professional at all this but no. Circumstances force me to do this. All the girls mom set me up with, were either too clingy or just too much obsessed with their own selves. When I say too much, it is TOO MUCH. And Kritika! She is no different. When I first met her, she acted all nice and decent but later I realised how her modelling career is all over her head. She looks down upon people, specially girls around her, she is mean and exactly the word plastic. And I was just stuck with her for four days or so. It was kind of a hookup(s). Though she came today to meet me even after I have given her a clear chit from my side that "we are not happening bro!" when I last met her that night. Note the point that she is very causal about me being married and she dating me despite of that. She hasn't even messaged me yet, and that shows how much important this thing was to her.

"Bro you have been single all your life."Ayaan spilled truth that hurts. Right here. Oww! Someone give me CPR. 

"Beat that." I laughed mentally. 
"But honestly yaar she was so obsessed with me. And I have had enough of her pretentious self."

"True. Tu uske liye bas trophy hai."

"I know right." I nodded and Ayaan started lighting up a cigerette which he just took out of his grey coloured pants. Girls drool over him when he does that. Here I am who doesn't do smoking because when I did that for first time, my one day old girlfriend dumped me the next day. And it didn't stop there, she told that to my mom and she scolded me very bad. I had a hard time telling her that I was just being cool.

Women! I swear.

"And what about Shikha? How's everything going with her?" I'm not a womanizer who had sex with Kritika while being with Shikha. Infact there's nothing as such between us. She hasn't given me any signal right now that she's interested in dating me but it's just that we talk, we see each other when we get time. And to be honest that's the most difficult part of our jobs. She's herself a gynecologist in her dad's hospital. Shikha is a very serious, focused, less talkative and guarded personality, which sometimes intimidates me because I'm the complete opposite. So nothing really has worked out between us though my mom sees her as the only option right now. "Just marry her stupid" she grunts each time I mention that I'm going to meet her.

"I am literally trying to understand her. She's not unintelligent or mean but surely is a tough nut. We have similarities but again a lot of differences. She's overall a nice girl but let's see where this thing heads."

"That's great! Finally there is someone who's poised  and classy in true sense otherwise I can't keep the count of girls you have dated in last year. My tinker boy!"

"I haven't dated them please. It was harmless flirting." I corrected. And I'm not lying. I haven't dated someone since my high school days. It's been ages. After school, I got busy with my MBBS and didn't want any relationship. After securing the job as an intern, I started looking for someone because I felt the need. My mom and dad had been the most cute couple and when dad left, I realised mom grew so alone and sad for so long. I was sad for her but happy too that she had some amazing memories, and a companion to remember. I wanted that for myself also, hence the hunt began and never stopped.
My MD completed last year but am still single.

"Which ultimately led you to run away from those girls."

"Because they weren't of my type." I simply shrugged.

"What's your type Mr Taran?" Ayaan let out a long drag, his eyes holding amusement.

"Sensible, intelligent, beautiful and who can understand my easy going jolly nature."

"Interesting!" He laughed aloud. And I am not surprised, it's his usual reaction everytime I mention this long list of attributes. "By the way that was a suicide case?"

"Yeah. The girl attempted suicide by cutting her wrist." I sprawled on the chair, my head lying on the seat and eyes staring at the ceiling of the room.

"You should send her to me if anything bothers you more."

"I will. Infact I was thinking about this but let's see. She looked sensible enough to not repeat her mistakes." Ayaan is a great psychiatrist and if Pari..! No! Parineet's case gets any severe I will recommend her to see Ayaan. He's the best in business.

"Hopefully!" He finally dumped his cigerette in the ashtray and drew his chair closer to the table and asked.
"Kyu kiya tha usne suicide attempt?"

"I don't know. Maybe some unrequited love story?" I looked at him now, my composure still the same.

"Haa! Mere bhai ko ladki nhi mil rahi. Udhar ladki ko pyaar nhi mil raha. World is useless." His words made me giggle and I added
"Arranged marriage is the last option left I guess."

"What the -" Ayaan started laughing hysterically and I joined him too. He knows me too well and my sarcasm  that I will be the last person on this earth to go for an arranged marriage. Even if it has to be arranged, I won't marry someone without having a considerable courtship period hence, without developing some feelings for the girl.

Nonetheless I rose from my seat and stuffed my hands into the pocket of my jeans to leave. It's already 5 in the evening and I have to reach home. It's been a week I have been there.
"Chal nikalta hoon. I have to go home. Its mom's birthday."

"Give her an announcement of your marriage this year as a gift." Ayaan joked.

"I know she would love it. Infact unka bas chale vo kisi bhi ladki se meri shaadi kara de." I said with a light giggle.

"My poor friend."

"Hot, charming and the most eligible bachelor - friend." People can judge me for this trait sometimes but I am very confident and proud of how I look and what I am today. I can't help it duh!

"Jaa ab."

"Aren't you coming. Mom will be happy seeing you!" I had my hands on his table now, eyes boring into his with fake scrutiny.

"I'll definitely if I complete all my thesis early." Ah that Nasik seminar and it's after effects on my studious friend. Ayaan never stopped learning, and it's nice because he's a freaking psychiatrist and the one who deals with the chaos running in human minds. Our profession demands constant studying. In Ayaan's company, even I began giving considerable amount of time to self study. I mean more than I used to.

"Mom is not important than your thesis?" I am so dramatic when it comes to him and mom's equation. He always treats her better than me and brags about it and now I have got my chance.

"Ofcourse she is. That's why I met her today morning before coming to hospital and wished her in advance." I should give up. Infact I gave up just now.

"You are definitely a better son than me, I have been here since last week. Ghar hi nahi gaya." I said in a defeated tone.

"It's all your mistake. Who asked you to be such a good doctor?" Ayaan never seizes to make me feel good when I talk about my exhausted working hours. He and mom, for the past five years have been a great support to me after dad left us.

"I swear. I never realised it will be this hectic."

"But Amazing."

"True that!" I can't help but agree. Nor I can imagine myself doing anything other than medicines.

"Chal ab final. Go home!"

"Try to come okay?" I gave him a last look before leaving and he curtly nodded "I will."

_______________

"Happy birthday to you! Happy birthday dear mommyyy. Happy birthday to you!" I said in a sing song manner, while opening the door of my house, and back hugging my mom who was in kitchen. Our house is not grand but big and spacious. It's a two storey villa complex with four big rooms, a study, a modernised kitchen, and a hall where we have a small sofa set and dining table. It was my father who made it what it is today. He is also the one who has made it empty too. I miss him.
We have organised a small dinner gathering for mom's birthday, that's why mom was looking after the menu and cooks in the kitchen. We have invited her friends, some close knit relatives, Ayaan and Shikha. Everyone is expected to come after one hour ie. 7 pm.

"Aagaya nalayak?" She gently slapped me on the side of my temple as I put my head on her shoulder. I met her after so long. One can't believe that despite living in the same house, working in the same city, I don't give my mom time. I just can't help it and she doesn't complaint. She thinks that this will change once I get married.

"Maate I'm the most celebrated doctor. Stop saying that." I keep on calling her with different Hindi salutations, to have a playful banter with her all the time. She's my favourite human afterall, I love her attention.

"Vahi celebrate hota reh, ghar mat aana. Na sunder si votti Lana!" She said looking at me with agitation.

"You know I want to get married too - "

"- But you are not finding the right girl. Itni ladkiya tere dusre ghar bhej chuki hoon fir bhi you haven't liked any of them. Tell me who is at fault?"  My mom is convinced that the hospital is my second home. But I definitely don't like her sending the girls there to meet me for god's sake.

"Oh mummy ji! Twaadi koi galti nahi hai. All problem lies in me. Your son!" I folded my hands and bowed to her dramatically and the middle aged looking cook, working in our kitchen chuckled.

"Mai bata rahi hu Shikha se shadi karle.. she is the best."

"I'll see." I sighed at her and to be honest I am in no mood to talk about marriage with her when we haven't even started dating.
"And maa yaar go get ready! Your friends will be arriving soon and they should not see you like this, in this faded tee shirt." I pushed my mom towards the stairs with her shoulders lightly to divert the topic.

"Aree haan.. I am going. And Mr celebrated doctor ji. Go have a bath and change. Pata ni kinne dino se nahaya nhi hoga."

"Oh maate!" I again folded my hands and followed her upto the stairs and then we went inside our respective rooms.
____________

The feast was going pretty well and delightful. The atmosphere was warm, happy and sound. Mom was laughing heartily at some gossip given by Sheetal aunty. Her friend group is ofcourse, not my cup of tea, they all eye me with adoration but yoy know it's a bit clingy! Though they keep om happy also, she is sane enough to pick what she should. Ayaan called me that he will be late but surely will mark his presence. I was welcoming guests when she made the entry. Shikha Arora. Looking gorgeous as ever in a tango pink sundress, her plump lips and round eyes making her look noticable.
"Hello!" I greeted her with a smile "Welcome."

"Thanks!" She pressed her lips in a tight smile and then I saw mom walking towards us. She always gets excited when Shikha comes.

"Happy birthday aunty!" The beautiful ladies exchanged a warm hug.
"Aww thank you dear. I am so happy you came. Come join us." Mom said.

"Yeah. Let's go inside." I gestured her to enter inside, my hand on her back. "Come."

Cake cutting was followed by a small dance. I love dancing with mom, she feels special and I love it. We danced hand in hand on her favourite song, her friends and relatives joined her, I clicked her happy pictures. The dinner was deliciously made and everyone liked the arrangements.
It was around ten thirty when I finally got time to talk to Shikha. She was having mojito in a corner when I approached her..
"How are you doing?"

"Great. Where were you? No message no call." She placed her glass on the side table, and smiled at me warmly.

"You waited for me?" I asked excitedly because the question she asked me is something I never expected coming from her.
Shikha is a decent looking girl who is very introvert. She wants to date me but she never shows interest in me and I know this is very strange but that is how it is. And this one moment when I thought she missed me, her next reply made my face fell.
"No! Actually you always text me but from past one week you didn't."

"To tum kar leti." I said unemotionally. It was almost a slow grunt.

"You know Taran I am not that person who you know calls or text somebody. Saamne wala busy bhi to ho sakta hai. And if you found my statement rude I'm extremely sorry." Her face muscles softened and she looked at me apologetically.
Honesty she doesn't affect me, nor her statements because we haven't reached that level of intimacy yet. Her dad was my dad's bestfriend and i remember we started meeting because her dad insisted. And till now we stand on different grounds because she doesn't try when I actually want to.

"I don't find you rude but trust me Shikha I am always there for you." I assured her taking her hand in mine. She's a nice girl and I know her intentions are not wrong.

"No Taran. let's be practical about it. If I can be busy when you call me, then you can be unavailable too. I don't expect things from you which I can't promise you to give. It will be very selfish of me to hope that you will be there when I failed to do the same for you." She let go of my hand, a crease formed on her forehead while explaining.

"I don't know Shikha. I don't think so much before making a call to someone." I smiled bitterly. Actually I felt bad for her because she overthinks. "But yeah last week was really hectic for me professionally that's why I wasn't able to call you."

"I think because previously I have encountered people who were not there, when I used to be approachable. And now I have guarded myself so much that I don't realise that when months pass by, and I haven't interacted with a single soul. And I am glad that it was hectic professionally for you, not personally." I don't know what she's talking about and who are those friends who did this with her because she never told. She never tells but mentions her lifestyle in small talks. And I don't force her either. I just wish her the best.
"I genuinely hope that things change for better."

"How sweet of you to say this." She cupped my left cheek with her one hand and I placed mine on hers.
"I mean it too."

"By the way, how's work life going on? And how's Ayaan?" She withdrew her hand and asked smilingly.

"Everyone's fine at hospital. Ayaan too. He must be here anytime soon!"

"I thought that you were calling it a night. Aunty looks tired." She looked at her watch. It was eleven and I realised most of the people went away.

"Ayaan can come anytime here. He is family." I smiled.

"Great! I have not seen family and family gatherings in my life like you share, maybe that's why I keep on asking you all these absurd questions despite of knowing your and Ayaan's bond." Shikha's parents divorced when she was small and she lives with uncle. Being the only child in her family, there's literally no commotion in the house. Even we are two people in my house - mom and me but the vibe is always there. There's never a dull moment when we are together and her situation is just contrary to mine. I pity her sometimes.

"It's okay. I don't mind questions as long as you are the one who asks them." I crossed my hands in front of my chest and leaned against the wall, smirking at her.

"Flirtatious enough."

"I haven't even started."

"Ooh! Ooh! Someone is in mood." She poked her finger on my arm with a pout and I just winked.
"Twenty four seven." Saying this I closed the distance between us, I leaned into her when she suddenly stepped back awkwardly.

"We are not dating Taran." I want to be with her but she just doesn't open up. I really feel bad for her more than me. Shikha doesn't have friends, nor she confides into me. I don't know what this girl is made up of.
"You are not ready to try me. What's my fault?" I said in a comical voice to lessen the tension.

"I don't know Taran. You are perfect but then something just holds me back."

"You have to pull your guards down Shikha. It's almost after more than a month that we are chatting today face to face."

"I know. I just don't get time."

"You should learn to manage it. Atleast if not me, then there will be someone who will enter your heart one day. You just need to relax a bit." I said seriously. A day would come when she would have to stop doing this to herself. As I genuine friend or a confidant, I feel for her.

"Oh Taran I want it to be you but I can't really promise you to give what you want from a relationship."

"What do you mean?" I raised my eyebrows for this was new to me.

"You love attention, care, socialising, conversations - a lot of it! And I. Just can't. I have my own priorities."

"So I am not saying you should kill your priorities."

"I know you and you are a sweetheart. But we are so different from each other. Mujhe 24 ghante romance karna nahi aata." How dare she? Do I look like a romance freak? Or a desperate guy who just wants to romance? What does she think of me?
"I think you should go home. It's late."

"You are asking me to go? I messed up right?" Her instant genuine apology made me realise how harsh I was. I should not have said her to go back. This is insulting.

"You didn't. Just that you looked tired. Hospital se aai thi na?" I said covering up but a part of it is true. She does look tired.

"Yeah." She picked up her bag and turned to me "Taran I am so sorry."

"Don't be. Should I drop you home?" I asked with concern and guilt written all over my face.

"Driver hai. Don't worry."

"Good night and take care." I said when she sat in her audi, but without wishing me back. And I wasn't surprised at all. Whenever we meet, she's either hushed or bad at conversations.

Taran you love conversations a lot of it! Her words are maybe true. But romance is not what I want twenty four seven.

"Good night Taran." I whispered to myself with a sad smile that came from I don't know where. Maybe she's just a distant friend but ofcourse her some attributes, behaviour doesn't go well with my extrovert or expecting nature.
However I called it a night.

_____________

A/N : From now onwards you may find chapters written with characters' point of view since our hero already has made his entry.
So what's your opinion on Taran and his friends and family? Do read, vote and review. I just love you all.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

526K 21.2K 39
# 1 in General Fiction as on 11-03-2017 A Gasp escapes my mouth looking at my accidental husband kissing those three girls one after other ...... Tea...
449K 25.7K 70
Tulika's blooming love story faced tragedy when a bike accident took away her love Sumedh. Sumedh, the perfect guy for her, who was head over heels i...
776K 23.3K 40
• BOOK 1 IN MEANT TO BE SERIES • • COMPLETED • • STANDALONE • ~ "I was never yours." I retorted angrily. "Oh sweetheart. You were always min...
47K 3.9K 63
• She was broken piece of glass while he had the glue that could mend it together. • Kiara is a girl that wanted to fall in love. Meet her soulmate b...