Liam

By theEveofChaos

Rayne is a powerful young witch living on her own in New York when she meets a mysterious man named Liam. As... More

Prologue
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Chapter 49
Chapter 50
Chapter 51
Chapter 52
Chapter 53
Chapter 54
Chapter 55

Chapter 32

58 10 0
By theEveofChaos

When they arrived at the bookstore, Rayne noticed Megan was nowhere to be seen. There were several customers and Kalli looked a bit overwhelmed. Her eyes met Rayne's and she looked like she had been crying. Rayne squeezed Liam's hand - something is up. Can you help with customers while I check on Kalli? Liam took one look at Kalli's distressed expression and nodded - I'll do my best love, see to your friend. He began to greet a couple who were looking at some small sculptures. Rayne stepped next to Kalli, helping her finish a register transaction, and quietly asked, "What's wrong?"

When the customer walked away, Kalli looked down and shook her head, "Megan isn't feeling well again. She's been having some cramps, so the doctor said to stay off her feet." Kalli's expression showed she was afraid. The fact that a literal Goddess was afraid, worried Rayne for her friend.

"How can we help?" Rayne asked, putting her hand on Kalli's arm. "That one touch was enough to make Kalli's facade break. She turned and fell against Rayne, sobbing. "Let's go in the back." She turned to take her friend to the office. She cast a glance to Liam - we will be in the back, ask if you need help.

Rayne closed the door to the office, got Kalli a glass of water, and sat next to her on the couch. "Now, what is really going on? Why are you so worried?" She asked, holding Kalli's hand.

Kalli took a ragged breath. "Something is wrong, Rayne. In the last month, Megan has been having nightmares, cramping and she is constantly exhausted." Her voice cracked as she said, "I'm a Goddess and I can't seem to help her. I've tried everything I know, and I'm scared - not just for the baby, but for Megan. She seems to be getting weaker. It isn't natural"

"Have the doctors found anything to explain the problems?" Rayne hugged her friend's shoulders.

"They don't have a clue and keep saying she seems to be in good health according to her labs. I can't lose her!" Kalli sobbed. "I know our time together is temporary, but I have come to love her so much, Rayne. When you live as long as I have, finding true love is rare and precious."

"Go home. Liam and I will take care of the shop today, and tomorrow if you want," Rayne handed her friend a tissue. Kalli hugged and thanked her, then vanished in a swirl of red tendrils. Rayne went back out to the front to see Liam, wrapping a rather expensive statue and checking out the couple he was helping when she left. "Kalli went home to take care of Megan. I hope you don't mind, but I kinda volunteered us both to take care of the shop today and tomorrow," she told him with a guilty smile.

He leaned and kissed her forehead, "I don't mind at all, darling. It gives me an excuse to be near you. I've been trying to figure out where I was going to hide while you worked, this just makes it easier," he laughed.

She laughed, "Well, at least you seem to have a knack for selling things. That was a really expensive statue," she quickly kissed him before running off to help another customer. They kept a steady pace of customers until just before closing. Liam had stepped in the back to count down the cash drawer when Rayne heard the bell jingle as the door opened. She looked up to see the familiar face of Mrs. Engleman.

Rayne paused for a moment, thinking back to her last visit. Liam, stay in the office, but please listen. Mrs. Engleman is here again. "Nice to see you, Mrs. Engleman. Did you have an appointment? Sorry, I've been away for a while." she said in a cheerful tone.

"No appointment, dear. Just stopped in to see if you could fit an old lady in for a moment," she indicated towards the reading area. "I won't take but a moment of your time," the old woman's expression was difficult to read.

"Um, yeah, I've got time. Let me just grab my runes," Rayne ducked her head in the office and grabbed the Futhark runes. She shot Liam a quick glance and shrugged. His expression was a worried one. Rayne could tell he did not like the idea of staying hidden, but she sensed his presence during the reading would cause problems. Please - she pleaded. He nodded reluctantly.

Rayne stepped to her table to find Mrs. Engleman already seated. "So how was your trip, dear?" Mrs. Engleman asked. For a moment, Rayne was shocked, but then she remembered she had just mentioned this to her.

"Oh, it was nice. Just a bit of family time," she replied, not being too forthcoming. They chatted a bit more about the cold weather and upcoming holidays until Mrs. Engleman finally said, "Draw one now please."

Rayne laid out the rune Berkano. "This is a happy rune, Mrs. Engleman. It can mean birth, new beginnings, or fertility. Maybe you'll have a new grandchild on the way soon or a wedding." She smiled at the older woman and began to put her runes away.

"Pull another one, dear," Mrs. Engleman said softly. Rayne looked up at her, startled. This was not how her readings usually went. The old woman had never asked for a second rune to be drawn before.

"Um, okay," She pulled a second rune from the bag. Rayne gasped when she laid it on the table. It was the rune Yr. When pulled in an upright position the rune is called Algiz and represents life, but in this position, it symbolized death and the underworld. She looked up at the old woman, her words catching in her throat. "This, this means..." she started, but when she looked at the woman again, she found she had left. On the table was her usual payment, but also there was now a silver ring encircling Yr. Rayne stood quickly, trying to see if Mrs. Engleman was still in the store. She thought she heard a woman's laugh and called out, "Liam!" then collapsed to the floor.

When Rayne awoke she found herself on the couch in the back office. Liam sat next to her pressing a cool washcloth to her forehead. He had a worried expression on his face. "What happened," she whispered.

"I don't know. You called out my name and then I heard you fall." he stroked her cheek, "You were unconscious when I reached you. What did she do that upset you so much?" He pressed the cloth to her forehead again. Rayne sat up, holding her head gingerly. "Take it slow, elskede," he cautioned her. She waved him off and walked out to her reading table. Liam followed her closely. She pointed to a circle on the table. His eyes went wide when he saw the rune inside the circle. He put his arms around Rayne as she began to sob. "Who the hell is this lady?" he muttered.

"Liam, Was there anyone in the store when you found me?" she looked up at him. He shook his head no. "I swore I heard a woman's laugh before I passed out. It wasn't Mrs. Engleman, she was already gone." Rayne shook her head, trying to remember the sound. "Should I tell Kalli and Meg about this? They are already so worried, and I don't know if this will explain anything or just cause them more stress. Kalli is already afraid for Megan's safety and the baby, but an omen of miscarriage..." her voice trailed off.

"I think we need to tell Kalli at least. You said she already felt something was wrong, this might be evidence of that." He hugged her tightly. "Come on, let's get this cleaned up and go home. I think you could use some sleep, elskede." They cleared the reading table and locked up the store. Rayne was exhausted and fell asleep as they drove back to the apartment.

Liam carried her up to the apartment, placed her in bed, and pulled the covers over her. He watched her sleep for a few moments, then went to the kitchen. What the hell is going on - he thought. He summoned a set of rune stones and drawing nine stones, tossed them onto the Viking compass cloth that now appeared on the table. The wooden disks settled on the cloth, only 3 facing up - Berkano was near the edge of the compass, with Isa closer to the spokes, and in the center of the cloth was the inverted rune Yr. It fell solidly within the center circle of the wheel. Liam looked in disbelief. If this is right, Megan's child is in grave danger, he thought, grave danger indeed.

Laughter. Rayne heard a woman's laugh, then a baby's cry. The room was so dark, she couldn't see anything. "Hello?" she called out into the dark. "Where are you?" She felt something pass by her, and then a sharp stabbing pain in her stomach. Rayne doubled over in pain, screaming.

Liam heard Rayne scream from the other room and shot up from the table. She was still asleep, but curled into a fetal position on the bed, clutching her stomach, crying out. He shook her, trying to wake her. "Rayne, wake up!" He lifted her chin. He could see her eyes flying wildly behind her eyelids. Ástvinur, hear my voice, wake up for me. You are only dreaming, darling - he reached out to her. Liam saw her eyes begin to flutter and open. She looked around frightened and began to sob.

Rayne still clutched her stomach, but the stabbing pain began to subside. "I heard her again, the woman laughing. But this time, there was also a baby crying. I couldn't see anything, but I knew something was there with me." Liam pulled her close, hugging her tightly. He stroked her hair and held her, waiting for her body to stop shaking. "We need to talk to Kalli. I don't think this can wait." Liam agreed and told her of his own rune casting. Rayne's face darkened. "Come on, no time for manners." She dressed quickly and they teleported to Kalli and Megan's house.

Before they could even knock, Kalli had opened the door and ushered them in. She led them to the kitchen. "I sensed you were coming," indicating the warm tea already waiting for them. "What has happened?" Rayne and Liam began to recount the reading at the shop with Mrs. Engleman, Liam's own reading, and the dream. As they spoke, Kalli's face became pale. "Are you telling me that you think our child is going to die?" she whispered.

"I don't know, but I do not think this is natural either," Rayne paused, not wanting to finish her sentence, "I think something is trying to take or kill your child." she finally said. Kalli's eyes filled with tears. She hung her head and began to cry softly. Rayne embraced her gently, trying to soothe her, but not knowing how. "Where is Megan, now?" she gently asked.

"She's sleeping. I cast an enchantment to help her rest," Kalli said rising. "Excuse me while I just go and check on her." She quickly headed to the bedroom.

Liam reached out and stroked Rayne's hand - Ástvinur, she looked up, meeting his gaze. Tell me how to help. She could see the concern in his eyes, but she didn't know what to tell him. She looked into those pleading green eyes for a moment - I don't know, my love, I don't know.

Kalli came back in a few moments looking a bit calmer. "She's still sleeping. I raised a few more enchantments around the room, while I was there." She looked at Liam and then at Rayne. "May I ask you to add your own individual wards around the house as well? It can't hurt to cover more than one pantheon and vein of magic." They stood up immediately. Liam followed Kalli to the front room, and Rayne began placing sigils and wards around the kitchen. Rayne asked the Goddess Arianrhod to watch over Megan and protect her unborn child. Before long, both she and Liam had layered their own magic on top of Kalli's.

"Stay with her. We will take care of the shop and let you know if anything else happens," Rayne hugged Kalli tightly before stepping out on the porch with Liam and teleporting back to the apartment.

They both climbed into bed, exhausted from using so much magic. Liam held Rayne in his arms as they both quickly fell asleep.

Author's Notes: Dark omens all around. I enjoyed diving deeper into Norse legends with this section.

Please comment, vote, and follow!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

27.1K 506 12
A collection of short kinky stories. Mature themes throughout. Don't read if under 18 ------- ***Number 1 #lokisarmy***
971 16 30
Children and best friends Y/N and Loki are having fun with mischief and pranks until one day as young adults Y/N is faced with bullying but lashes ou...
62.2K 2.1K 76
Raven tossed and turned in her sleep. 'NOOOOOOO!' the man's voice wailed' It was the same dream that had been haunting...
34 3 3
"I am not pretending to know you." Loki said, his voice soft, calming, and Raya shook her head as tears rolled down her cheeks, anger still biting at...