The Runaway Distance: Life of...

By CalsRebellion

Being (Y/n) Stark was the hardest thing you ever had to do. Your mother died before you were a day old, your... More

1) The Beginning of the End
2) I Am Iron Man
3) The Expo
4) Revelations
5) Secret Organizations, Rage Monsters & Magical Hammers
7) The Battle of New York
8) Stealing A Scepter
9) Making Friends
10) The Truth
11) A Friend of Tony Stark
12) A Little Bit of the Truth
13) A Night In The City
14) Here's To The Good Times
15) The Biggest Secret of Them All
16) A Taste of Your Action
17) The Fall of SHIELD
18) It's A Long Way Home
19) Help
20) The Great Escape
21) Desiderium
22) Life And Death
23) Hanging By A Thread
24) The Last Goodbye
25) All The Things Lost
26) Coping Mechanisms
27) Photos, Letters, & Keys
28) Easy's Never Been This Hard
29) The Story Of Your Life
30) Last Will & Testament
31) Where Do We Go From Here?
32) A Place Made Of Memories
33) The Warehouse
34) FRIDAY
35) Goodbye Isn't Farewell

6) Days In The Life

2.5K 56 14
By CalsRebellion

Life as a SHIELD inventor and engineer was more rewarding than you could have ever anticipated.

You made an updated version of Captain America's 40s suit, giving it a cutting edge look, which, in your opinion, was much more badass than the original. You also helped make some arrows for Agent Barton, some of which included cable, explosive, smoke, and sonic. You were also working on electro arrows that would deliver a 21,000 volt charge upon impact.

Putting down the new invention, you told FRIDAY to make notes on some elemental reactions that may occur while you left the New York base for the day. It was time to meet the family you were protecting for real.

You had spoken to Peter's uncle Ben and arranged an 'accidental' run in to introduce yourself as the quiet neighbor. You'd spent many months watching over them already as per Fury's wishes and you found them to be a perfectly normal but talented family. You knew Aunt May was a nurse and Uncle Ben a police officer and that Peter himself was incredibly smart. You were excited to get to know him.

As you left the building you met Coulson along the way and shared a goodbye with him before shrugging on a jacket and flipping your hood up. Even though a couple years had passed since you ran away, the paranoia still fueled your every move. It was simply the norm now.

Two things caught your attention as you headed home, the first being a giant building for sale. It had been sitting there for weeks at a ridiculous price but apparently someone had bought it. And, realizing just who it was, your demeanor changed from paranoid to paranoid times ten.

'The first completely clean energy-powered skyscraper in Manhattan. A model for future development.'

You looked at the sign and the logo beneath it, wondering why your father would buy such a huge place and for what? He had a home in Malibu, the Stark Industries HQ, and the last time you checked there was still a search for you that he hadn't given up on. Maybe moving away from that place was him finally moving on.

You should have been happy that he might be giving up, that he could finally move on, but there was still an ache in your heart. Despite all the arguments and ignorance, the snarky comments and then silent treatment, you missed him. After all, he was your father.

The second thing you noticed was the all too familiar super soldier sitting at the cafe across the street. His head was down, focused on a drawing by the looks of it, and occasionally looking up at the Stark building. You didn't know him well but you'd seen him in the city from time to time and observe.

He looked lost and was clearly still trying to adjust to the modern world. You watched for a moment as a pretty blonde waitress approached him and they exchanged a few words. You smiled, secretly he might ask for her number.

But you didn't stop to talk and pulled your hood further over your head, hiding your eyes. You kept your head down and senses tuned as your boots clicked on the sidewalk. You didn't stop walking until you reached Queens. It was a very long walk and took forever but it was good exercise and gave a chance to clear the mind.

On your street, you noticed a desk. It didn't appear to have an owner since it was simply left outside the apartments, abandoned. You stood there for a solid minute, thinking about your own place in the building two doors down. You'd been there a while but it was still pretty empty. Perhaps a desk could lighten it up some.

You secured your bag and lifted it. It was pleasantly light and you didn't have much trouble heaving it over to your building. You fumbled a while to reach the keys but managed it eventually and unlocked the door, pushing it open.

"Where's the desk?" You then heard someone mumble down the street. "I swear I left it here."

You froze, peering around the doorframe and seeing someone scratching their head as they looked down the street.

"Ah..." You looked at the desk again and sighed. "Shit."

Not wanting to own up due to embarrassment, you decided to just get the desk inside and regret it later. It required quick and quiet work but you managed it. The stairs were the hardest part and you wished the place had an elevator.

"God... Damn... Desk."

It took almost ten minutes to reach your floor. You all but kicked in the door to the apartment, shoving the desk inside. You could hear the owner complaining through the window but simply closed it. This wasn't the first time you'd accidentally stolen furniture and it was extremely awkward when they turned out to have other owners. But when you leave something in the street unattended for minutes at a time, you can't expect someone not to steal it.

-

It was about four in the afternoon and right on time.

You glanced out your window and saw the Parkers pull up in Ben's car. It was his day off and he was bringing Peter back from school with May. As they filed out and headed for the building's main door, you quickly grabbed a jacket and your keys and made yourself look like you were leaving.

You waited by the door and pressed your ear against the wood, hearing three pairs of feet make their way up. You waited until they reached your door and then abruptly opened it, surprising most of them.

"Oh!" You gasped, putting on a startled expression. "I'm so sorry. I'm in a bit of a rush."

"Don't worry about it." May quickly assured, a hand on her chest as she recovered from the scare.

Peter was holding her other hand, half hidden behind his aunt as he looked at you with curious and wide eyes. Ben looked at you too, giving you a quick smile.

"You must be the neighbor we never met." He said.

You smiled in response. "That would be me. Ellen Campbell."

"Ben Parker. This is May and our nephew, Peter." He greeted.

"It's a pleasure. Sorry I never got to introduce myself before."

"You must be very busy." May said. "I thought there was a hurricane indoors."

You chuckled. "Again, sorry."

Remembering the plan, you bent down a little so you could speak to Peter face-to-face. He didn't seem to recognize you from the Expo the year before which was good. You had a plan if he did but thankfully it wasn't necessary.

"Hey, Peter."

He looked at May and Ben for permission to talk and they said it was okay so he moved from behind May to say hi.

"Hello, Ellen."

His voice was timid but cute and it made your smile soften. "So where did you come from just now?"

"School."

"Ah, I remember school." You shuddered, making him laugh. "What grade are you?"

"Fifth grade."

You raised a brow, nodding in approval. "You're pretty old then."

"No! I'm almost eleven."

You laughed with his aunt and uncle, raising a hand. "My bad."

"He's a smart one." Ben said proudly, ruffling Peter's hair. "Probably knows more than me."

"Oh, yeah?" You turned to the boy a second time. "What's your favorite subject?"

"Science." He answered without hesitation.

"Ooh, nice choice. Can you tell me some properties of matter?"

"Anything measured."

"Correct. Such as...?"

"Density, length, volume, and temperature. The chemical properties are its ability to burn or reactivity."

"And the different spheres of the Earth?"

"Biosphere, atmosphere, geosphere, and hydrosphere."

You decided to really test him, knowing for a fact no fifth grade curriculum had your next question.

"Tell me, Peter, what is the rate of reaction in Heterogeneous Catalysis?"

He paused for a moment and then seemed to recite something he'd read somewhere. "In heterogeneous systems the reaction occurs in a single phase like gas. Thermodynamics, mass transfer, and heat transfer influence the rate of the reaction."

You weren't ashamed to admit your jaw dropped. That was university level and even then it was advanced stuff. This kid was probably smarter than most scientists, probably even yourself and your dad.

"You really are smart." You smiled. "Feel like doing my homework for me?"

He looked up at you, curious. "You have homework?"

"Yep. It's work stuff."

"What do you do?" May asked.

"Just some engineering. But I could do with a smart helper."

Peter grinned. "Can I really do it?"

"If it's okay with your aunt and uncle."

May and Ben looked at each other and Ben nodded, approving. May was quick to agree.

"I'll help you as well." You promised. "If you've got any homework of your own, that is."

Peter seemed to think about it before looking up again. "Do you know technology?"

You smirked. "You bet I do."

-

"And that deserves a reward." You declared, leaning back in your chair to snatch a bag of candy from the shelf above. "One for me, and one for Pete."

It had been a while since meeting the Parkers officially and you'd spent many hours with Peter during that time. You helped him with homework and he helped you with some of the smaller and less deadly inventions you were working on. You looked after him if May and Ben had late or early shifts and more than once you'd been the one to pick him up from school, even becoming friendly with some of the parents. The family were trusting and kind and were happy to call you a friend.

You and Peter had just finished some of his schoolwork and closed the textbook, dropping the bag of candy in the middle of the desk so you could both tuck in.

"Don't tell May, okay?" You said. "We've already exceeded the sugar limit."

"I promise." He nodded eagerly. "You're the best, Ellen."

"I know, kid."

You shared a smile and sat there for a few minutes simply talking and eating as the time passed. You still had several hours before May finished her shift and kept thinking about what to do during that time. You knew Peter's friend was coming over at some point but that was still an hour away.

"Want a sandwich?" You suggested.

Peter looked at you. "A sandwich?"

"Yeah. You know... Bread."

"I know what a sandwich is."

"Great. So, do you want one?"

He was about to reply but stopped, thinking about it. "Only if I can get you one."

You gave him a look. "If you want. Tuna, mayo, and sweetcorn, please."

He made a face at the combo and shook his head. "I know a place that has the world's best sandwich right here in Queens."

"You're ten, kid. How do you know it's the world's best?"

"Trust me?"

"No."

He knew you were joking and got up from his seat to grab his coat. "You will."

Reluctantly you also grabbed something to cover up and let him lead you outside. You held his hand the whole way since it was still pretty busy in the city and only let go when Peter stopped in front of Delmar's Deli-Grocery.

You had seen the place before but never gone inside. It seemed nice though, homely almost. There was a man at the till who you presumed to be Delmar.

"Peter!" He greeted enthusiastically.

"Hi." Peter smiled. "Delmar, this is Ellen."

You waved. "Hey."

"Good afternoon, Miss Ellen." He nodded politely. "How can I help you?"

"Well Peter here claims you make the best sandwich in Queens."

"The world." Peter quickly added.

"Yeah, the world."

Delmar had a smile on his face. "Then young Peter is right. Would you like to try it? Your first one can be on the house."

"Really?"

"Of course."

"Then I'll happily accept."

You waited patiently as he had one of the employees make it. The three of you made conversation, mostly discussing how you and Peter knew each other and then how long Mr. Delmar had had his corner shop. He even told you how much he and his wife wanted a cat for them and their two kids.

"Oh, my God!" You exclaimed after just one bite of the sandwich.

"I know, right?" Peter grinned up at you.

"You like?" Mr. Delmar asked with equal enthusiasm.

"Best sandwich in the world." You nodded, eagerly taking a second bite.

-

"Ned!" Peter threw himself at the other boy and they happily embraced.

You ushered them inside the apartment and right away they went to the couch and became immersed in their own conversation. You couldn't help smiling as you watched them, forgetting what it was like to have a real friend for once.

After all, you'd dropped out of high school to go on the run. It'd been the same way for three years now. No friends, just colleagues and contacts. But maybe that could change now.

"So, what are you up to, boys?" You asked, sitting on the arm of the couch.

"Can we watch a movie?" Peter asked.

"Sure. What do you fancy?"

"Um..." He looked at Ned, who seemed just as short idea-wise. "You choose."

"Well, we've got Transformers, Jurassic Park, Star Wars-"

"-Star Wars?" Ned questioned. "Is that the one with the human and the alien in space?"

You had to bite back a laugh and simply spoke your head. "Not quite. Star Wars is a little different."

"What is it?"

"Well there's six films so far and also some video games on it. It's a little hard to explain without spoiling things but it is set in space and has a lot of really awesome scenes and possibly the greatest cinematic reveal in history."

"What's the reveal?"

"I'm afraid I will not be telling anyone without my lawyer present. I'm not getting sued because I ruined the films for you."

The boys laughed at your dramatics but you just continued to smile. When they agreed to watch the Skywalker saga, you dug out the first film, A New Hope, and let it play.

Peter and Ned were starstruck by it. They understood everything and observed even the tiniest details, completely immersed. And, when the greatest reveal in cinematic history played out, you were ready with your phone to record their reactions and show Ben and May later.

They did not disappoint.

There was a very loud and very elaborate series of gasps from Ned and Peter's jaw dropped. They turned you with wide eyes and you simply gave them a nod and smirk.

"Told you it was good."

-

A few weeks later, you were driving from the warehouse Upstate with your miniature TV playing in the front. Your new car was actually a gift from Coulson on your 19th birthday which had very recently just passed.

The news was on and playing something about some skirmish in Germany. You weren't paying too much attention, thinking it was just a murder case, until you very nearly crashed upon seeing a man in Asgardian garb on the small screen.

It definitely wasn't Thor, that was clear, but he was definitely just as handsome and attractive. Unfortunately, he didn't seem like a good guy. The news report showed him forcing a crowd to kneel and claiming humans were made to be ruled.

And it wasn't until seeing this you realized it was the same guy who destroyed Project PEGASUS just two days before. He'd taken the Tesseract, the thing Steve Rogers insisted they should have left in the ocean all those years ago.

And, speaking of, Steve showed up in the report too. It was hard trying to watch and drive so you turned up the volume instead and heard about how he fought this Asgardian guy, Loki, and then how none other than Tony Stark arrived on the scene.

It was strange every time you saw him. Memories of being (Y/n) Stark instead of Ellen Campbell flashed through your mind and it took everything you had to focus solely on the road.

-Tony POV-

Loki was standing at the top of Stark Tower, watching as the Great Tony Stark removed his suit and entered from the balcony.

"Please tell me you're going to appeal to my humanity." He mocked.

Tony merely stood there, hands behind his back, before heading to the bar. "Actually, I'm planning to threaten you."

"You should have left your armor on for that."

"Yeah. It's seen a bit of mileage, and you've got the glow stick of destiny. Would you like a drink?"

Loki admired the sceptre he held before looking back up. "Stalling me won't change a thing."

"No, no. Threatening." Tony emphasised, pouring himself something. "No drink? Are you sure? I'm having one."

The god turned away and looked through the large windows at the city outside. "The Chitauri are coming. Nothing will change that. What have I to fear?"

"The Avengers." Tony looked up, noticing Loki's questioning gaze, and sighed. "It's what we call ourselves. We're sort of like a team. 'Earth's Mightiest Heroes' type thing."

"Yes, I've met them."

"Yeah. It takes us a while to get any traction, I'll give you that one. But let's do a head count here." As he began to list the team he subtly took some bracelets and slipped them on. "Your brother, the demigod; A super soldier, a living legend who kind of lives up to the legend; A man with breathtaking anger management issues; A couple of masters assassins. And you, big fella, you've managed to piss off every single one of them."

Loki smirked. "That was the plan."

"Not a great plan." Tony took a sip of his drink and began walking over to the god. "When they come, and they will, they'll come for you."

"I have an army."

"We have a Hulk."

"Oh? I thought the beast had wandered off."

"You're missing the point. There's no throne. There is no version of this where you come out on top. Maybe your army comes and maybe it's too much for us but it's all on you. Because if we can't protect the earth you can be damn well sure we'll avenge it."

Loki approached, his smirk gone and a menacing look in his eyes. "How will your friends have time for me when they are so busy fighting you?"

He lifted the sceptre and pressed it against Tony's chest, a clink being heard as it connected with the pendant that lay there. They both stared at it, Tony curious and Loki confused.

He tried a second time but nothing happened. "This usually works."

Tony, looked at the pendant, the only thing he had left of you. It was protecting him. You were protecting him. He smiled, knowing that even if you weren't there, he would always remember you.

He looked back at Loki. "Well, performance issues, it's not uncommon. One out of five-"

Before he could finish, Loki grabbed him by the throat and threw him across the room.

-(Y/n) POV-

The city was abnormally busy that afternoon. People were rushing around and you felt more paranoid and scared than normal, the close proximity putting you on edge.

Something was wrong. You just didn't know what.

The bell of the cafe door jingled as you walked in and kept your head down to avoid any and all eye contact. The attention was horrible.

"How can I help you?" A waitress asked once you were seated.

You looked up for the first time and noticed the blonde that Steve was talking to a few weeks beforehand. For once, you smiled.

"Just a plain old coffee, please."

You gave the specifics and she left to get it for you. You looked down at the table you sat at and sighed running your hands down your face. You just felt exhausted.

And that's when you heard the scream.

People, tens of them, running past the shop as if death itself was over them. You stood up, frowning, and tried to get a better look to see what was going on.

Suddenly the windows shattered in an explosion, sending dust and debris flying everywhere. You were knocked back into the wall with a thud and felt a stinging sensation on your head, already feeling the trail of blood trickling down.

You cursed and staggered to your feet, seeing everyone running outside, only to scream and shout just as everyone else had. You stumbled, trying to use a chair for support and almost collapsed on the sidewalk as the smoke filled the air.

It was horrible.

Buildings were on fire and crumbling like they were nothing, civilians were running for their lives, and the sound of crying littered the street like a haunting tune. Dust layered everything in sight and the fires were treacherous. In some cases it was merely a trail of soot and smoke above a window pane. In others, it was an inferno.

But that wasn't what scared you. It was the things flying above on what looked like small hovercrafts, shooting guns and brandishing swords and spears.

Aliens.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

553 12 7
Y/N Y/LN has been part of the Avengers since the start, she's battled against Loki, Ultron and Hydra. Now the team is her family and everybody loves...
120K 2.8K 13
"You've got your own suit of armor kid, and it's not the good kind," "I get it from you," Spencer Anna Stark was six when her mother fought and won...
22.8K 1.1K 48
Natasha thought that they were in the clear; free to live as they pleased. Then Shield did some digging into Peter's past that turned her world upsid...
271K 6.6K 41
"So after getting shot, your main priority was getting a sandwich instead of getting help" "Hey, they've got the best ones in Queens!" When the aveng...