Liam

theEveofChaos által

Rayne is a powerful young witch living on her own in New York when she meets a mysterious man named Liam. As... Több

Prologue
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Chapter 49
Chapter 50
Chapter 51
Chapter 52
Chapter 53
Chapter 54
Chapter 55

Chapter 28

65 12 5
theEveofChaos által

Nimuë tried to console her daughter, but Rayne was frantic. "How could I have not seen this? I should have known she would do something like this!" Rayne screamed. She had long since passed crying and now was just angry. She paced the floor with small wisps of flames licking at her hands. "I'll kill her with my bare hands!"

"Enough!" Her mother's voice boomed. "This is exactly what Eris wants! She wants you to be angry and distracted. If you don't remember Liam's plan and focus, then you are both lost." She looked at Rayne with fire in her eyes. "You will do exactly what Liam told you to. He knew the risks and you did too. Now, get your things ready. Remember, you still have talents she doesn't know about. Don't show up in battle gear. Make your appearance seem non-threatening, play to her vanity." Nimuë walked closer to Rayne. "I know you are scared, child, but you are not alone. Still your mind and hear his voice."

Rayne closed her eyes and focused on Liam. Please, Liam, are you okay? I need to know you're still alive, she projected to him.

I'm alive, darling. A bit worse for wear, but alive. I tried to reach out earlier, but you were too upset to hear me. I'm sorry I'm not there to comfort you, his voice whispered in her mind.

You're the one being held captive and you're worried about comforting me? Tears began to stream down her face as her mother pulled her close.

Rayne, listen to me. She isn't coming alone. Homados and the revenant are coming with her. I'll be there but veiled somehow. She may bring others I'll try to reach out to you, but I don't know if her spells will block me. She's coming, I have to go darling. I love you, Liam's voice faded.

Rayne straightened up and looked at her mother. "It's time to finish this. I'm tired of this psychotic bitch messing with my life."

Rayne stood in a pair of jeans and a T-shirt in front of the pyre. Her mother, The Morrigan, stood to her right, and Maab to her left. "Tonight, we are your anchors to the land of the living. We will watch the fires for your return and make offerings to the Old Ones. Find your strength in your ancestors, Rayne of the Raven Clan." Rayne stepped forward, feeling the flames lick at her, she could already feel the voices of the dead calling to her as well.

When the flames vanished, she found herself deep in the Fallen Land, surrounded by shadows with scurrying eyes all around her. She's here, she's near, they whispered to her. We await your call, her father's voice came to her.

"Eris! Where are you?" Rayne shouted to the darkness. She saw movement to her left. It was Stewart, only he didn't look so human anymore. The spell must be destroying him, Rayne thought. He was dragging something along the ground behind him - Liam. He was covered in bruises and cuts, his arms still bound, and a gag in his mouth. "Liam," Rayne whispered. He lifted his eyes to her but didn't speak. His eyes didn't look right and he didn't reach out with his mind. She paused.

Not him, not him, it's a trick, siúlóir báis, the voices yelled in her mind. Rayne did not react to their warning. Eris needed to believe she was fooled.

"There is your precious, Liam, now give me the Cauldron, witch," Eris appeared before her. There were howls and movement all around. The dead did not like her presence in their lands. She scanned the caverns and let out a laugh, mocking the voices of the dead, but her eyes betrayed her with a slight look of uneasiness. She knew this was not Hades' realm and she was not welcome here. "Charming place you have here. It would be a shame to add another soul to the mix," she lifted the false Liam into the air, as his body writhed and he moaned.

Rayne reacted, crying out for Eris to stop. She had to keep up the ruse. "Release him first," Rayne demanded. Liam, are you here - she reached out for him in her mind. Yes - his voice was so faint.

Eris scowled at her, moving closer to her. "Where is the Cauldron? I think you're playing games with me, girl." She scanned the area around Rayne and saw a glimmer of metal a few yards behind her. "Ahhh, good girl, you did bring it." She snapped her fingers, and Liam fell at her feet as the false one shimmered away. He looked at her, his green eyes clouded with pain. This time it was really him, and like the illusion, he was covered in cuts and bruises. Blood poured from his wounds.

Rayne stepped towards him, "Release him, now!" she demanded again. Eris waved her hand and the bonds disappeared. Liam, let out a loud gasp and fell forward. Rayne cradled him in her arms, slipping her hands inside his shirt. Shh, don't move. Don't let her see, she began to heal him as Liam clutched her close to hide the green glow.

"Awww, look at the cute little lovers," Eris snickered as she walked away. "Homados, dear, kill them."

The room became filled with cries of despair, pain, and war. As Homados moved forward he brought with him an army of tortured souls, most likely ones he and his mother had claimed in their bloodlust and rage over the eons. The dead walked with ancient weapons in staggered steps.

Rayne's head snapped up as she saw Stewart approaching. Liam saw Homados appear behind Rayne, but was still faking his injuries. He's behind you - he said in her mind. Stewart is behind you, she responded, you ready? He gave her a quick squeeze in assurance.

Liam and Rayne both rolled into a fighting stance at the same moment, backs to each other as they did in training, swords in hand and fully dressed in armor. Eris's eyes were wide and she was furious. "Picked up some lessons from your trickster, I see. No matter, you are more than outnumbered. Homados, finish this now." Her voice dripped with venom as she again turned to make her way towards the Cauldron.

The dead army surged as Homados and Stewart moved towards Liam and Rayne. Stewart carried a large stick and swung heavily at Rayne. She caught his swing and sent the weapon flying. He tried to reach for her, his arm grazing her shoulder. His touch sent a shockwave of pain into her, she noticed her skin blacken where he had touched her. "He has revenant powers, don't let him touch you," she called to Liam. She couldn't tell if he heard her because Stewart had lurched forward and placed his hand on her chest. The pain seared through her. She looked up to see her father's shape ahead of her. It's time, Rayne, let go, she heard him say.

Rayne felt the darkness begin to envelop her. When Stewart reached for her again, she grabbed his arm, placing one hand over the Solomon's knot tattoo, and the other against his cheek. Stewart's arm began to scatter into dust and ash. She continued to hold on until his arm crumbled out of her grasp and he was a pile of dust. She turned to see Liam engulfed by the black mist Homados had used in the bookstore as he was trying to fight off a long-dead warrior. Rayne lifted her voice to an echo in the chamber, "Defend your home, my ancestors!" Waves of Fallen charged forward, her father included. They swarmed around Homado's dead army, ripping and tearing at their bodies. Homados broke his spell against Liam as Fallen Fae rushed at him.

The two dead armies raged against one another. A soldier tried to grab Rayne but fell to dust at her touch. Eris had retreated up the hill, still climbing towards the Cauldron. Rayne tried to keep an eye on her but was distracted when she heard Liam's cries of pain. She saw his arm slashed by an ancient blade and ran to his side, her sword appearing in her hands, she sliced the head from the soldier and caught Liam in her arms. Her black eyes stared into his. "I'm fine, my love," he assured her as he kissed her ashen lips. "Look out!" he cried as a blast of magic surged towards her. He pushed her aside and Homados's spell caught him in the side. His armor began to quickly rot and melt into his flesh. Liam fell to the ground. Calmly, Rayne knelt beside him. She looked at Liam and smiled, I give to you my power of creation, my love. Heal yourself, a flash of green light engulfed Liam as Rayne's power transferred to him.

Homados let out a loud roar of rage and sent another blast of magic toward her. She quickly deflected the spell with her sword. Then it vanished. "Time to finish what I started, you pathetic bitch!" Rayne did not react to his anger. He began to charge towards her, and she just steadily walked forward, her hair beginning to swirl around her again. Her darkness increased as mist and ash swirled around her. Greek soldiers fell to ash as she walked past them.

She whispered to him, "Homados, come play with me." she smiled sweetly at him. His expression betrayed his shock and fear. Rayne continued towards the frightened God. Each blast of magic he sent seemed to pass through Rayne's body. In desperation, he called out for his mother and tried to run. He found himself surrounded by souls that would not let him pass. Rayne began to sing in an ancient Greek language, her words lulling Homados into a stupor. The dead cried for his soul and Rayne let them take it, tearing and shredding his corporeal form.

Rayne turned her gaze to Liam. He was fully recovered but didn't know how to return the power. She shook her head, "I won't need it, love." her voice was hollow and cold. Liam looked at her in confusion. All around them, the dead Greek soldiers lay either in ash or in pieces. Only Eris remained.

Rayne turned to where Eris had gone to get the Cauldron. She knew the illusion would have faded by now. As if on command, a loud shrill scream rose from the rock Eris had traveled to. "You lying little bitch! I'll kill you and your pathetic God for this!" Her screams became screeches as Eris transformed herself into a gigantic harpy. Eris landed in front of them both, her wings reaching at least ten feet across, and her hands and feet had become sharp talons. She slashed at Rayne making her reel from the pain. Her desiccation powers had no effect on Eris. Rayne fell to the ground raising her arms in defense as the harpy talons ripped at her arms. She managed to let out a short burst of flames, causing the giant bird to move back.

Liam raced towards Rayne swinging his sword at Eris, but not making any contact. Eris flapped her wings and stirred a torrent of wind that sent Liam flying back against the rocks. He struggled to regain his feet as Eris turned her rage toward him. She landed one slash across his chest and began to swing again, but a sword stopped her, clashing against the harpy's arms. Rayne's father stood between Eris and Liam. "Leave my family be," he yelled. He raised his sword to swipe at the giant bird again, but she flew higher moving from his swing. He held an arm out to Liam, helping him regain his feet.

"I'm who you want, come and fight me," Rayne spoke clearly as she resumed her human form and lifted herself from the ground. Blood flowed freely from her arms and there was a large gash across her face. She winced in pain and called again, "I betrayed you, and I led your son to his eternal death." She motioned towards what was left of Homados. Eris shrieked again and dove towards Rayne.

"What are you doing? Change back!" Liam screamed at her. He tried to run for her, but Arlen held him back. He knew what his daughter had to do, and simply nodded at Rayne.

Eris's cries shook the cavern walls as she sank her talons deep into Rayne's chest. She could feel the pain spread through her body as she fell back against the cavern floor, her face turned towards Liam, I love you she mouthed, but no sound came out, only a small trail of blood flowed from her mouth. "Rayne, no!" Liam screamed and fell to his knees, tears streaming down his face. He felt a cold hand on his shoulder and turned to see Rayne's spirit next to him. "No ástvinur, not like this, not now, please," he begged her.

"It's okay, my love. Trust me," she smiled at him. They both watched as Eris ripped and tore at Rayne's body, finally gobbling down her heart, as Liam cried softly. "Shall we make some fireworks, my love," Rayne asked as she ran her hand across Liam's cheek. He suddenly understood what she was doing and why she had given him her powers. She needed the power of a God to defeat a Goddess. Liam was her conduit, her soulmate.

Eris looked up and saw Liam. She could not see Rayne's spirit form. "Your turn trickster, no one here to save you now," she laughed as she advanced towards him. Her talons clicked on the stones beneath her, her wings fanning him, but he held his ground this time. She paused when he raised his head and smiled at her.

He held his hands out and seized her arms, "From death comes life, Eris," he said as his hands began to glow with a green light. Eris struggled to pull away, fanning and slashing at him, but she soon found herself swarmed with the souls of Rayne's ancestors pinning her down, tearing at her wings. The green light became brighter and brighter until it engulfed Eris and then exploded, throwing everyone back. When the light faded, Eris was gone and Rayne stood where the light had been, completely healed.

Rayne walked toward Liam and held her hand out to him. "I knew you would save me," she kissed him on his cheek. "Sorry I had to change the plan at the last minute," she smiled, "I got some inside advice," she nodded towards the trail where her Grandma and Cailleach stood waving.

"Can we please, never do that again? I don't think my old heart can take it," Liam laughed as he pulled her closer and kissed her. "By the way, how do I give your power back?" She laughed at him but didn't respond as she kissed him again. Liam looked at her confused.

Rayne turned to her father. She took his hands and for a few moments, he became corporeal. She hugged him with tears in her eyes. "Will I ever see you again?"

"Your journey isn't over yet, daughter. You will see me again, I promise." He pulled her close and hugged her tight. "Tell your mother I love her." He let go of Rayne and again faded to shadow. He turned to walk up the trail towards her grandmother. Rayne watched them all go with tears running down her cheeks.

She turned back to Liam, and wrapped her arms around him then looked up and said, "I'm driving, old man." They vanished in a swirl of gray smoke and reappeared in front of the Samhain pyre. 

Author's Notes: So what did you think of the battle scene?  What will happen next?

Follow, vote and comment.

Olvasás folytatása

You'll Also Like

143 0 18
This takes place in the world of @babyxpyscho book "The Ivy Witch" but it's Natalie's POV.
971 16 30
Children and best friends Y/N and Loki are having fun with mischief and pranks until one day as young adults Y/N is faced with bullying but lashes ou...
4.2K 179 43
One night, a sword chose a wielder with a loving heart, an understanding mind, and a brave soul. A God of Mischief chose a path of carnage, influence...
202K 5.8K 50
After the events of the Dark World, Loki has ascended the throne claiming that Thor has abandoned his people and Odin has died. After a few years of...