All For Some

By RikuPen

The superhuman society is great for some with popular quirks but not for quirkless let alone people whose qui... More

Chapter 1: The Life Of Izuku Midoriya
Chapter 2: Rescue and Reunion
Chapter 3: Mom and dad
Chapter 4: Father and Son
Chapter 5: The News
Chapter 6: What Now?
Chapter 7 a New Life Begins
Chapter 8: a Villain in Training
Chapter 9: Izuku Shigaraki
Chapter 10: a New Villain Is Born
Chapter 11: Facing the Past
Chapter 12: a New Plan
Chapter 13: Training
Chapter 14: Friends
Chapter 15: The Villain Exam
Chapter 16: The Hero Exam
Chapter 17: A New Problem Child
Chapter 18: Preparing For School
Chapter 19: The 1st Day
Chapter 20: Evaluation
Chapter 21: Battle Training Part 1
Chapter 22: Battle Training Part 2
Chapter 23: Aftermath
Chapter 24: Payback
Chapter 25: And There Be Media
Chapter 26: To the USJ
Chapter 27: Battle!
Chapter 28: Aftermath
Chapter 29: Friends and News
Chapter 30: A Face-to-Face Chat
Chapter 31: What Happened?
Chapter 32: Everyone Is Preparing
Chapter 33: Shirokuro's Debut
Chapter 34: Who Was He?
Chapter 35: What's Up With Todoroki?
Chapter 36: The Sports Festival
Chapter 37: The Cavalry Battle
Chapter 38 Shadows of The Past
Chapter 39: Izuku versus...
Chapter 41: The Fight of Shadows
Chapter 42: Breaking Mind and Arm
Chapter 43: A Heated Meeting
Chapter 44: Cracking Rock
Chapter 45: Melting Ego
Chapter 46 Final Fight
Chapter 47: Turn Up The Heat
Chapter 48: Exposed
Chapter 49: V For Vigilante
Chapter 50: Comfort and Safety
Chapter 51: Shadows of Night
Chapter 52: Third
Chapter 53: Ingenium 2
Chapter 54: Beach Views and Promises
Chapter 55: Dark Past Dark Future
Chapter 56: Names, names, names
Chapter 57: Smile of a True Hero
Chapter 58: Hunting a Hunter
Chapter 59. Shattered Safety
Chapter 60. Tenya Protection Squad
Chapter 61: Meeting the Hunter
Chapter 62: Learning From a Killer
Chapter 63: The Old Man
Chapter 64: Masters and Apprentices
Chapter 65: Monsters Meet
Chapter 66: Facing Death
Chapter 67: Staying Down
Chapter 68: No More Regrets
Chapter 69. Sword vs Rock
Chapter 70: Shadows Left Behind
Chapter 71: Disillusioned

Chapter 40: Healing and Fighting

1K 50 11
By RikuPen

Izuku kicked open the door to Recovery Girls onsite reception at the stadium, softly, not willing to risk dropping Hitoshi by letting go off him with his hand.

"Recovery Girl, we need your help."

"Yes, yes," Recovery Girl said as she came from behind her desk. "I might not sit in the audience, but I do follow the competition. Bring him to bed here."

"He said the world is spinning and he sees things triple, can't stand straight, vomited, spits blood..."

As Izuku listed his sins, he did as instructed lowering Hitoshi onto the bed.

"Thank you, medic Midoriya."

"His tongue still works as well as usual," Izuku said trying to fake a smile before taking half a step back from the bed. Beyond that he didn't move even a millimetre from the bedside as Recovery Girl came to the other side.

"I'll take care of things here. You can join your other classmates watching the tournament."

"No," Izuku said, his voice leaving no room for arguments. "I'd rather stay here, at least until everything is okay."

Hitoshi chuckled quietly.

"Don't bother trying to tell him no. You'd have more success trying to win a staring contest against mister Aizawa."

"Been there done that," Recovery Girl said. "Glad to see someone here at least takes injuries seriously rather than ignoring risks thinking the old lady can always fix them."

"You can still... fix him, right?"

"Oh usually I can, but that doesn't mean people should automatically assume that about everything. Remember what I told you about trying to heal injuries to the brain when you first visited me?"

Izuku was about to answer 'yes' but his eyes dropped to Hitoshi, and he started mentally counting how many times he had hit Hitoshi to the head, only now starting to realize how many it was. His training had been more about turning Nomu brains into mush than avoiding concussions on people after all. That knee to the chin wouldn't have helped either.

His worries grew with rapid yelps of pain from Hitoshi. Recovery Girl was just gently pressing a hand against his chin as part of checking him up.

"That's what I was afraid of since I saw that kick. Your chin is broken, probably not too badly but at least a small fracture. I'm surprised you could talk as well as you have."

Izuku's face dropped from the weight of quilt.

"Every word hurts," Hitoshi admitted. "I didn't want to say anything until Izuku left, but I guess that was never going to happen."

Recovery Girl sighed and shook her head.

"Are there any other symptoms you would like to tell us now that we know your friend isn't leaving before you do."

"Izuku forgot to list migraine. My stomach... or maybe chest hurt when I breath. That's nothing new when I get punched enough, I think, maybe bit worse this time... Do the lights have to be that bright... Where was I..."

"Changes in mental state," Recovery Girl muttered as she moved to feel Hitoshi's ribs.

"Will he be okay?"

"I can't diagnose or treat him any faster no matter how many times you ask. Well at least you didn't break any of his ribs," she glanced at Izuku scanning him for a few seconds before looking at Hitoshi again. "Probably didn't come far from that though. I don't think there is any obvious internal bleeding. Damage behind the pain should be within my ability to heal quickly, but the other symptoms suggest at least a concussion. I will now treat you with my quirk though being tired by the tournament its efficiency may be limited by your stamina."

"Which one of you is talking?" Hitoshi asked, his gaze unfocused in Recovery Girl's general direction.

"I'll use my quirk now," Recovery Girl said and leaned down to kiss Hitoshi's forehead.

The way she used her quirk was unique to say the least and could get awkward depending on situation, but the quirk itself... Izuku licked his lips. After a few moments she stood up straight.

"You should be okay in terms of purely physical injuries."

"At least it doesn't hurt to talk anymore, just a bit sore."

"Yes, bones are easy to treat."

"Have I ever said how amazing your quirk is?" Izuku said.

"No but thank you," Recovery Girld said. "Also no, it is not for sale. I may be old, but I'm not planning to retire yet."

"So, you watched my speech."

"Of course I did. I only started getting patients after the first competition started."

She held open Hitoshi's eye while shining a light on it.

"There's a bucket on that side of the bed in case he starts vomiting again," she told Izuku before getting up and facing Hitoshi. "I'll get you something to drink, but for now you should rest. Avoid any strain or stress."

She walked to an adjacent room flipping the light switch on the way. All lights in the room turned off leaving them in the dim light coming through the doorway. Hitoshi sighed. Izuku pulled a chair to sit next to him.

"So... I broke your chin."

"Izuku," Hitoshi whispered, "lean closer.

Izuku did as he was asked. Hitoshi's arm rose and swung in the general direction of Izuku's head. He could have dodged the sloppy move rather easily. He didn't and got slapped to the cheek. Hitoshi closed his eyes, shifting for a more comfortable position.

"I knew how you would feel about that. That's why I didn't say anything."

"but..."

"No buts. It's a dangerous career path we are on. If I couldn't take the risk and injuries of a competition, what chance would I have to be a hero? You aren't helping me survive by keeping kids gloves on in the wrong places. It hurt but I'm glad you could take them off, at least for a bit."

Izuku looked at the floor uncertain if he should argue against Hitoshi or feel ashamed. Hitoshi cleared his throat then gagged. Izuku raised his head then found the bucket under the bedside table to hold it in front of Hitoshi. He gagged for a moment though this time there was just a little spit.

"I don't think Recovery Girl's quirk worked that well."

"It's your head," Izuku said. "It' she didn't want me to be alone after the battle training against Bakugo."

Izuku tried to cover some of his fear but couldn't help but imagine worst case scenarios. His relationship with injury might have been twisted since he received the regeneration quirk, but brain injury was nothing to dismiss.

"At least you didn't blow up the arena. Unless you have a better healing quirk than Recovery Girl you probably shouldn't worry about it."

Izuku barely managed to not expose himself as Hitoshi came close to the truth. At least he though he hid his reaction.

"You don't have one right?"

How was Hitoshi so perceptive right after complaining about the room spinning?

"No," Izuku responded quickly, "unless... yours."

"You'll have to explain a little more. "

"Well, your symptoms might be because... I punched you in the face."

"Yes, I would agree on that."

"but they are pretty similar to when I have gotten extra quirks before I could adapt. I think they might put pressure on the brain as well as the body."

"So you think taking my quirks might help."

"Maybe..." Izuku lied dying a little inside. At least the hesitation injected his voice with uncertainty helping the lie. "I really don't know. Just thought, maybe it would make recovering easier."

"And you'd get to use them in your next match."

"Toshi that's not..."

"Just because it wasn't your first reason doesn't mean it isn't true."

Izuku lowered his head.

"You didn't get a good chance to show what your quirk could do because of me."

"So you'd better make it look good. I want a decent internship."

Hitoshi raised his hand but this time not to slap Izuku. Izuku took his hand onto his own but with much more hesitation than usually, not because he hesitated taking Hitoshi's quirks, but what he was about to give in return.

The regeneration was no regular quirk even before considering that it was an artificial copy. Whilst other quirks moved at Izuku's whims the Regeneration was like a mass of half molten rubber sticking to everything it touched. He had to drag, push and shake it off to get it moved after taking Hitoshi's quirks. As the quirk transferred Izuku suddenly felt more vulnerable than he had remembered ever feeling. Afterwards he didn't let go of Hitoshi's hand, worried at Hitoshi's reaction to the harsh quirk.

"How are you...?" Izuku said. Hitoshi's soft smile suddenly disappeared, and his eyes widened before he jolted forward and threw up on the bucket Izuku was still holding.

"Toshi?!"

Hitoshi didn't respond, barely able to breathe between vomiting and choking. Once there was definitely nothing left in his stomach he started gasping. Izuku held his hand tighter internally debating if it was better to take the Regeneration back already or give it more time. How long had it taken with his own injuries?

Hitoshi's eyes started turning around and he slumped back on the bed with Izuku not having free hands to catch him. Izuku grabbed the Regeneration quirk and started pulling it off Hitoshi like it was a constrictor snake choking him.

"What is going on there?" Recovery Girl called from the next room. Izuku just finished forcing the quirk back when she entered the room. Upon seeing unconscious Hitoshi, she rushed to his side barely putting aside the cups of water she carried rather than dropping them.

"What happened?"

"He vomited and fainted."

"I heard that. Anything else, especially before that?"

"I... took his quirks," Izuku said. Technically he wasn't lying.

"You t...why?"

"He has an extra quirk and the symptoms that can cause are a bit similar."

"I see," Recovery Girl interrupted. "Did you consider that the transfer itself might put a strain on him?"

He hadn't.

"Will he be okay?" Izuku asked quickly. "I..."

"Will not blame yourself or I'll slap you again," Hitoshi said. He had opened his eyes and their glare had gotten all its usual sharpness back. "Especially since it seems to have worked. I feel a lot better."

Izuku sighed of relief and that he didn't even try to hide as he finally let go off Hitoshi.

"That is quite interesting. Look this way," Recovery Girl said and then looked at Hitoshi's eyes while flashing a light at them. "Very interesting."

"Good interesting or...?" Izuku asked.

"Very good it seems," Recovery Girl paused, "but it is best if you don't try to give the quirks back yet and not without myself being present. Is that understood, no more surprises."

"Yes Recovery Girl san," Izuku and Hitoshi responded at the same time.

"Good, now Shinso needs to rest and Midoriya, you should follow the fights of your future opponents."

Izuku hesitated.

"I don't see any immediate danger anymore you should worry... or feel bad about."

"You should go," Hitoshi agreed, "you might still see how the second fight ends.

"It should be over already," Izuku said as he relented and got up, "Monoma won."

"How do you know that?"

"You might not have noticed it, with your head spinning and all, but he touched you when we passed him."

"And you let him keep his hand after that?" Hitoshi asked, raising an eyebrow. Izuku shrugged and smirked.

"I figured I wouldn't need to be the only one to show people how strong your quirk is."

Hitoshi's expression became like a mirror image of Izuku's.

"He is going to be extra annoying after that. You should go knock some sense into him."

"I will."

"Just... not too hard. I don't want to share a room with him."

"I too would appreciate that," Recovery Girl said.

"I'll do my best. See you after the tournament."

"I'll try to get off bed by the time you get your medal."

"I believe that is my decision to make," Recovery Girl said. "Now shoo, go."

Izuku actually smiled as he stepped into the corridor. Not something he would have expected a few minutes earlier. As expected, Yaoyorozu was already there stepping back into the stand right before Izuku. She was holding her own arm and looking down looking embarrassed despite their classmates' encouragement. Tenya was the first one to notice Izuku.

"How is Hitoshi? Well I hope."

"Better now, it seems," Izuku responded and sighed. "It could have been worse. I think there are some things that we have to talk about with more time and privacy."

Tenya nodded sensing the seriousness behind Izuku's voice.

"Was helping that class B guy your idea?" Ojiro asked loud enough to get their classmates' attention, especially Yaoyorozu's.

"Not really," Izuku responded, "I just didn't stop him."

"So, you let your classmate lose."

"She lost herself. If she paid attention, she should already have known Monoma is a quirk copier and been more careful," Izuku paused and showed Ojiro an evil smirk. "You never know what quirks the person you are talking to might have."

Ojiro tensed and his mouth snapped shut. Izuku didn't care to give him any attention after that.

"You are right of course," Yaoyorozu admitted. "I was too focused on making sure he couldn't touch me to consider he already had copied a quirk."

"How long did it take from him to figure out Toshi's quirk."

"I think he tried to use it at least ten times as I kept foolishly responding to his provocations."

"Ten times... and without any advice," Izuku muttered a notebook at hand, "that is impressive. Either he is more intelligent with understanding of quirks than he lets out or... could the quirk itself give him a natural understanding of the quirks he is using...? Both would make sense... mutter... mutter... mutter..."

"Those two just keep going!" Present Mic declared from the speakers. "How long can they continue like this? One of them has to break eventually, right?"

"Physically yes," Aizawa agreed, "but clearly neither of them intends to give up before that happens."

Izuku's head perked up.

"How is Kirishima doing?"

"It is difficult to say," Tenya responded. "They are very evenly matched and equally unyielding."

So that Tetsutetsu's quirk could compete with Kirishima's. Izuku licked his lips as he stepped past his classmates to see properly. It was just as Tenya described. They were basically taking turns punching each other and seeing who lasts longer. It was an effective way to impress people with their quirks, but... Izuku frowned disappointed at Kirishima's straightforward way to fight. Sure it might have worked on most people, but against someone that could take his punches as well as he, he should have known better. Where was all the agility he had displayed when Izuku made him train without using his quirk?

"He should be doing better," Izuku said and sat down.

"Harsh," Kaminari commented.

"No," Tenya said, "analysis."

"Oh can he analyse who is going to win?"

"If they keep at it like this, no, I don't know enough about their limits to determine who is going to break first," Izuku said, "but if Kirishima fights smarter like I know he can then him probably, though I could say much the same about the other guy."

They watched as the two thick skinned fighters kept hammering at each other with force that made the viewers' bones ache. Izuku distracted himself thinking of how to chew Kirishima up, without breaking his teeth, during their training for falling back into the punch and get punched until someone breaks strategy.

"Hold on. It seems Kirishima is struggling," Present Mic narrated. Indeed, the redhead had backed away from contact with Tetsutetsu and if Izuku squinted his eyes he could just barely distinguish changes in Kirishima's skin as he wasn't maintaining full hardening everywhere constantly. At least that's what it seemed like, but it was hard to say as only his head and face were visible. Izuku got up and stepped to the railing as if that made any difference in how well he could see. He wished he already had Hatsume's quirk at that moment.

Tetsutetsu's smirk was visible even from the distance though as he said something to Kirishima. Kirishima made no moves in response. Tetsutetsu charged and attacked with wide excessively large swing. With his physique and quirk the punch was certainly powerful, more than just dangerous if Kirishima's hardening failed at the critical moment, but...

"Kirishima's going to win," Izuku said.

As he was speaking Kirishima bent and ducked under the attack with great speed and flexibility. His arm hardened again and shot up right into Tetsutetsu's chin. The punch had enough force to knock Tetsutetsu off his feet, as his entire body moved upward and his feet fully left the ground. Before he could touch the ground again Kirishima grabbed his arm and pulled him down slamming Tetsutetsu on his stomach on the floor. Kirishima jumped on Tetsutetsu twisting both of Tetsutetsu's arms behind his back.

"What just happened?" Ashido asked. "I've never seen Eijiro fight like that."

"Because you've only seen him rely on his quirk too much," Izuku said. "It is not uncommon with people who have strong quirks though it is a bit strange for him to do it considering how hard it has been for him to admit his quirk is strong."

"I know what you mean," Ashido said. "I think he just isn't yet used to it. He has changed a lot in the past year or two. He didn't use to be that strong and his quirk wasn't very impressive. It was more like a thin, rocky sheet on his skin he could barely hold onto for his whole body. Lot of kids at school actually used to bully him for having a weak quirk."

"Weak?" Kaminari interrupted. "Are we talking about the same person here. My bones hurt just from watching that fight."

"Yes," Ashido said. "Something happened to him in the middle school. He had always dreamed about being a hero and tried to help people, but suddenly he spent every waking moment training and it... really had an impact. I still remember one really hot day when some of the boys decided to play shirtless in sports class..."

Ashido stared into the empty air and while it was hard to distinguish on her naturally pink skin, she seemed to be blushing. Suddenly she jolted and started stuttering.

"I mean... his training really paid off and... right, his quirk seemed to change at the same time. That was one of the things he showed off that day. I haven't seen him bullied since at least not for weakness."

"Hopefully not," Izuku said, "but if it had lasted for a long time, it might still be impacting his confidence."

"Maybe."

"The winner is Eijiro Kirishima from class 1A!" Midnight declared standing next to Kirishima and Tetsutetsu who had failed to escape the redhead's hold. Izuku was already taking notes.

"He never mentioned how much his training impacted his quirk. Part of it is probably him getting hit with something, but since the quirk impacts the physical structure of his body its efficiency is probably heavily determined by the state of his body."

"So, if he is... physically stronger his quirk gets stronger?" Ashido asked.

"Seems logical. Trained muscles are not just stronger but harder and denser than untrained ones let alone fat, so if the quirk enhances his... hardness relative to where he is when not using it the effect would be more pronounced as he got physically stronger."

"I can vouch for that."

"Do you know anything else my notes might be missing?"

"Maybe, I don't know what you have notes on, but... what's in it for me."

She gave a smile trying to make it seem innocent.

"I'm not sure there is anything I can offer," Izuku said and thought for a few seconds. "Maybe a temporary access to the beach club where we train with him... in a proper attire... for a beach."

Yes, she was definitely blushing. Her natural skin tone couldn't hide that. It took her a few seconds to get back the ability to speak.

"That sounds very nice, I mean I'd love to visit a beach club sometime."

"Weekend afternoons."

"Maybe some weekend afternoon, the weather has been nice recently. Eh, what did you want to know again?"

"Lets start with details about progression of his strength, both physical and quirk. It might give us a better idea of his future potential and what kind of progress our training should reach."

Izuku and Ashido were still chatting when Kirishima returned from the arena.

"So that's the first time he got hit by a baseball bat?"

"No, the first time one broke hitting him."

"I see. Was it wooden or carbon fibre?"

"How should I know? All I know is that the boy using the bat went to see the nurse."

"How strong was he?"

"Not bad for his age, but by then Eijiro always beat him in arm wrestling even without his quirk."

"Not surprising," Izuku muttered and glanced up. "Oh, hi Kirishima."

"Hi," Kirishima responded as his eyes switched between Izuku and Ashido. "What are you doing?"

"Eh, well, you see... talking," Ashido stuttered.

"I bribed her to tell what she knows about your progression with your training and quirk to better map your progress and potential. Hopefully it helps our training," Izuku said without a stutter. It was the truth. All he needed to do was to skip how he bribed her and why it worked. Kirishima would realize it himself eventually, probably. "Oh, good job adjusting your fighting style to your opponent."

"Thanks, I was so excited I almost forgot."

"I noticed. Have to fix that. You're coming tomorrow, right?"

"Of course! Training at your place is great, and the beach is even better with this weather."

Ashido blushed a little again, but Kirishima was too oblivious to notice.

"It sure is. Lets continue our talk with Kirishima after the tournament Ashido."

"Huh, yes, okay."

Izuku returned to his seat leaving Kirishima to wonder why Ashido seemed to behave so strangely. The next match was between some class 1B students Izuku wasn't familiar with, Kaibara and Tsuburaba. The winner would face Kirishima on the second round and might fight Izuku on third, though he doubted that. Based on their reactions to Present Mic's introductions Tsuburaba was the one with brown hair and Kaibara the one with black hair. It was enough for Izuku to keep track of them.

As soon as the match started Kaibara charged at his opponent and his hand began... spinning? The hand spun so fast it was indistinguishable as a hand and seemed more like a drill. Tsuburaba didn't even try to evade but Kaibara's attack stopped mid-air. There was something barely distinguishable in the air that was blocking the attack. Kaibara didn't let that slow himself though and quickly moved around it only for the same thing to happen and this time Tsuburaba moved to counterattack with a punch.

He was too slow and got blocked by a spinning arm. Tsuburaba yanked his hand quickly back barely creating another transparent barrier between them as Kaibara moved to attack again and was stopped again. His attempts to move around the obstacle was stopped by new ones until he had walked all the way around Tsuburaba. Tsuburaba seemed to say something to his opponent, confident behind his defences. It was certainly useful quirk, but what were its limitations. Izuku kept taking notes without even looking at the notebook.

Kaibara apparently wasn't' too confident on the endurance of that defence as he started punching the transparent barrier repeatedly. When that didn't seem to work, he pressed his spinning hand against the barrier using it like a drill. If his hand didn't turn into mush from that effort his quirk had to have secondary reinforcing effects beyond spinning even though that's a good trick. Tsuburaba seemed increasingly confident failing to hold any kind of battle-ready stance inside his barriers.

Then Kaibara jolted forward as the barrier broke under pressure. Tsuburaba was only able to jolt back not prepared to counter Kaibara's attacks. It only took a few hits to bring Tsuburaba on his knees and quite literally at that.

"Kaibara is the winner," Midnight announced.

"Kirishima," Izuku said just loud enough for the redhead to hear him over the audience cheering. "What was Tsuburaba's primary mistake?"

"Eh, why are you asking?"

"Because it is a mistake you have natural tendency to do."

"Oh... his defence wasn't strong enough?"

"No, that is limit of his power relative to his opponent, but not a mistake. His mistake was trusting his defence too much and getting careless so when it broke, he had no cards left to play."

"Okay, that makes sense. You're saying that Kaibara guy might be able to break my hardening so I might have to fight him different."

"Yes... well I would bet ten million yen against him managing to drill through your quirk, but that doesn't mean you can be careless."

"Oh I get it. I'll be careful. By the way, who's going to fight next?"

"Todoroki and someone called Awase," Izuku said and looked around. "Has anyone actually seen Todoroki?"

"Not since the tournament started," Tenya responded. "He never joined us to watch your fight."

Izuku looked down towards the arena and brushed his chin.

"Next up, Shoto Todoroki from class 1A and Yosetsu Awase from class 1B," Present Mic announced and the two students stepped onto the arena. So at least Todoroki wasn't missing, still... As Todoroki stood against his opponents facing towards his classmates Izuku got a bad feeling.

As the match started Awase instantly charged against Todoroki jolting from side to side to make himself a harder target. If he had faced someone else he could have had a good fight. Todoroki twisted his foot a little releasing his ice, a lot of it, like a lot a lot. A literal glacier of ice grew out of the arena reaching and passing their class's seats just a few meters away and rising higher than the stadium itself and it all had happened in a matter of seconds. An attack like that could have frozen an entire city block, or two, including everything and everyone in it. Izuku's mouth was hanging open staring at the wall of ice he could almost reach from his seat.

Tenya nudged his side and whispered.

"You are drooling on your notebook."

Izuku jolted looking at his now wet notebook as his mouth snapped shut. He quickly wiped his face to his sleeve hoping people didn't pay much attention. They didn't appear to. Unsurprising considering the iceberg that had just appeared out of thin air.

"To.. To.. To," Midnight tried to speak somewhere behind the ice. "Todoroki wins."

Izuku shook his notebook trying to make it at least a little dryer as the ice began to evaporate. He stopped to look at it disappear. Creating such a large amount of ice was already impressive, but the power output needed to evaporate the whole thing... If Todoroki really let his quirk loose it might just melt the stadium and everything in it. Izuku had to swallow some saliva as his stomach churned.

"What do you think about this?" Tenya asked.

"I underestimated what he can do, by an order of magnitude or two."

"What...? No, I mean why he would do this? It is quite a serious overkill don't you think."

"Yes," Izuku admitted slowly bringing his focus back on the relevant.

"Did your talk earlier include anything that might explain it?"

"I don't think I pushed him that hard, but... If someone made Todoroki snap, that would be his father. He is somewhere here and not happy after what happened before."

"Do you think we should be worried?"

"Hmmm... you should be careful if you have to face him, but it is probably better to try talking with him outside the ring. You can't speak if your mouth is frozen shut."

"Not a pleasant thought."

"You saw what he just did... I'll try first."

Izuku got up and walked into the corridor after Tokoyami who went to get ready for his fight after Kaminari's. Once deep enough for some privacy Izuku leaned against the wall to wait. Todoroki soon turned around the corner. He walked head down looking at the floor and walked past Izuku without even noticing him.

"Todoroki," Izuku said. The boy in question stopped and turned. "What happened there?"

"What do you mean?" Todoroki talked quietly and emotionlessly like someone who had been stepped on while being unable or afraid of standing up for himself. Izuku recognized that feeling.

"You almost freezing the entire stadium. Don't pretend you needed to do so to win that fight."

Todoroki looked at the wall instead of Izuku.

"I was angry."

"You met your father after lunch."

Todoroki didn't respond or move but the sharp breath he took and coldness that appeared in his eye were all Izuku needed to know. Izuku tried to make his voice as understanding as he could.

"Was he angry for coming in second or for talking with me."

"Both."

"Did that really get to you so badly you went overboard with your quirk? Part of the reason you joined us for lunch was to annoy him."

"It... it wasn't that," Todoroki paused. "He talked about how I would have to be what he made me to be and would be. Saying it was going to happen despite... 'my little rebellion.' That I should be grateful for the gift of his quirk."

"He really is despicable, real scum."

Todoroki nodded.

"Are you planning to do something about it or just take your frustration out on others?"

Todoroki glanced at Izuku with a spark of anger in his eyes, but it quickly waned as his head dropped.

"He's my father and the number two hero."

"So? Are you going to just take it and hope you somehow randomly get away from under his shadow before snapping badly enough to kill someone who doesn't deserve that?" Izuku asked. "Because you aren't far from that, and I am not talking about getting away from his shadow."

"Why do you care?"

"I've already told you why, also if Tenya and Tokoyami win their first fights, one of them is going against you. I would appreciate it if you didn't burry either of them under a damned glacier."

"I..." Todoroki sighed and lowered his head in shame. At least he had some chance. "I'll try."

"Your quirk is even stronger than I thought, both sides of it, and you have already almost killed people twice today. With something like that there is no 'try', only do, or people will die, assuming I don't confiscate your quirk first."

"So what do you think I should do?"

"Stand up to him or ignore him. Resist what he wants, but in a way that doesn't shackle yourself. Expose him for what he is to the public. Be your own person and consider what you actually want. Just do anything that goes against what he wants to achieve, anything other than ruining yourself in his shadow thinking about him and feeling pity for yourself."

"Do you think it is so easy?"

"If it was easy to change things, I would have already changed a lot. That doesn't mean it's not worth doing, but you aren't even trying, except trying to annoy him a bit while ruining yourself. I guess that is a start."

"And you are going to say I should start by using my fire."

"It would be best for you. You can't exactly plot your father's downfall if you are holding yourself back because of him."

Todoroki looked down and then away as he kept walking. At least he wasn't fighting back. That was progress at least. Izuku hoped.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

455 12 4
Izuku Midoriya learn very quickly that not all people are born the same, born quirkless in a world full of quirks now he has a chance to become somet...
234K 15K 47
Once a villain, always a villain. Or at least that's what society says Everyone whats to be a hero when they grow up! Right? Where a boy is given a s...
22.9K 673 26
Izuku was a small kid with the ability to take others quirks and use them for himself or give them to others. But a tragedy strikes and destroys his...
27.9K 1.4K 21
Sequel to Heroes & Villains? Never heard of it In a world that revolves around quirks, power, and fame there are three groups in which society is div...