B is For...

By bettyboo125bo

Jadore Clemmer wants one thing: fun. With a new scenery and new people, she gets just that. She's a carefree... More

B is For...
2 - Being (Nosey)
3 - Back (in School)
4 - Basketball
5- Borrowing (Without Asking)
6- Bad (Mood)
7 - Better (Run For It)
8 - Bossy
9 - Bribing

10 - Being (Civil)

77 1 1
By bettyboo125bo

[AN: I recommend you go back and read the last chapter...]

10 - Being (Civil)

The three boys sat on my couch, patiently waiting for Kelsey to show. Well, only two were waiting patiently, and only two were on the couch. Braddon looked miserable as if he could be anywhere else. Allen was busing himself with his cell phone. Conner was up and making his way around my living room.

He'd occasionally pick up a photo, say something, then put it back. For instance, right now, he's holding a picture of my five-year-old self. That particular picture was taken at a park as I was holding out food to some ducks that were at the park's pond.

The look of excitement was evident on my face as I looked down at one particular one. I remember that memory complete. I remember because not even a few minutes after the picture was taken, the duck "bite" my finger as he was trying to get the bread from my hand. Whenever we have company over, my dad would never hesitate to tell that story.

"Hmm, for some reason, you look quite weird with brown hair," Conner said as he looked between me now and me then. Allen chuckled and rolled his eyes at his friend. Braddon didn't say much of anything. He was just his same, usual, mean self.

Suddenly, a knock was heard. I began walking to answer it, but Conner intervened.

"Allow me to do the honor," he said, and I think he made his accent thicker. I glanced at the couch where his two friends shook their heads at his behavior. Seconds later, the door was open, and in walked Kelsey. She froze when she saw the guys.

"Um...Jadore?" she questioned while not taking her eyes off the three. Braddon stood, rather slowly and almost intimating. He didn't take a step, but he did seem to stare her down. Kelsey walked toward me and stood in front of me, causing her back to be to the boys.

"Are you okay?" she questioned softly and urgently. "Blink three times if you're in trouble," she instructed, which caused me to roll my eyes and smile at her.

"I'm fine. Believe me," I promised her. She watched me for a few more seconds before she nodded and turned to the others in the room. A clear sign that she believed me.

"Um...hello," she waved awkwardly at the guys. Allen gave a "what's up" head nod, Conner saluted her, and Braddon just huffed in annoyance.

"Alright, let's keep this short and not so sweet," Braddon announced to the room. He motioned to me with his head, while speaking to Kelsey. "Your friend here—"

"Jadore," I interrupted, which made him send me a not-so-nice look. I shrugged my shoulders in response.

"Jadore," he corrected himself. For some particular reason, he made my name sound different. It didn't sound like how I'm used to it sounding. He made it sound almost like a symphony. It sounded very rhythmic if that makes sense. Maybe it's because he put so much emphasis on it? I don't know. But whatever he did, made a shiver go down my spine...good or bad, I'm not so sure.

"She told you about a certain activity that my friends and I were doing. We're here to make sure you don't blab about it to anyone," Braddon finally got to the point. Kelsey shook her head.

"No, I didn't tell anyone. Honestly, I barely even remember what she said. What are we even talking about? Haha, my brain is kind of...blaaaahhh you know," she let out a nervous laugh with crazy hand gestures. She carried on pretending like she didn't know what was being talked about.

Although, everyone knows that she's lying. Let's just say she's not the best at acting. I placed my hand on her shoulder, silently telling her to stop trying. She looked at me and I shook my head, trying to prevent the smile to show on my face. It's funny seeing her act all nervous because she's one of the strongest people I know.

"As I said before, she's not going to say anything. I don't know why you need more clarification," I butted in, looking at Braddon with wonder.

He tilted his head and looked me up and down. He's surprised I'm sticking up for my friend and me.

"What gave you the impression that I trusted you enough to believe anything you tell me?" he asked with a bit of genuine confusion. When his eyes met mine, I held his gaze without wavering. He doesn't scare me, not one bit.

"What gave you the impression that I'd lie?" I retaliated quickly. He opened his mouth to say something but snapped it shut. He glared at me momentarily before shaking his head.

"Everyone lies. The only difference is some of us do it better than others," he spoke in return.

"I don't lie," I retaliated, not giving in. No way will I agree to the idea of him assuming I'm a liar. Braddon stared at me once more. He seemed to be trying to read me...almost like he's trying to see if he can tell from my face if I'm being honest.

"Whatever," he muttered and crossed his arms over his chest. Allen suddenly stood up next. He now stood next to Braddon and stuffed his phone in his pocket.

"Now that's settled, can we go now?" Allen looked at his two friends. Conner, whom I now realize was still busying himself with objects in my living room, looked at Allen. I nodded my head at his question and walked to the door.

I opened it and gestured for them to leave. This caught Conner's attention and caused him to smile, although I'm not so sure what's so funny.

"Are you kicking us out, sweet pea?" he teased before sitting down in my dad's recliner chair.

"Yes," I admitted with a raised eyebrow. Conner laughed at my honesty. Well, at least he knows that I'm being honest. He got up from the recliner –that he literally sat in for a second— and walked to the door...and shut it while still inside. Everyone looked at him like he was insane.

"I think we should all get to know each other a little better. There seems to be a bit of um...hostility," Conner suggested, his accent making him sound like a professor lecturing his students about good behavior. "How about we all get comfy, yeah?" he said while walking back to the recliner chair and sitting in it.

He had a friendly smile as he waited patiently for the rest of us to join in. Kelsey looked at me, before shrugging her shoulders and going to sit in the recliner opposite of Conner. Allen sighed with a shoulder shrug of his own before he sat back down on the end of the couch. I took a spot on the couch next to Adam. Braddon looked hesitant. He didn't want to be here as much as I didn't want him here.

So, why doesn't he just leave?

"Well, you all have fun with that, I'm out," he announced and headed to the door.

"You going to walk? Or did you forget I drove?" Conner called just as Braddon's hand grabbed the doorknob. Upon hearing that, Braddon groaned in agony and placed his forehead on the door. I saw his back flex as he exhaled dramatically. He stayed like that for only a few seconds before stomping over to join the rest of us. He flopped onto the couch next to me, making as much space between us as possible.

"What is this, elementary? Do you want us to share our favorite colors too?" Braddon muttered in annoyance.

"I am not taking requests, so please refrain from giving them," Conner said in his professional tone. Kelsey giggled, hiding her smile behind her hands. "Anyway, I'll start first. Hello, my name is Conner. When I'm not spending my time with a lovely female companion, I'm thinking about spending my time with a lovely female companion," he stated.

I chuckled at his comment. Really? That's what he wanted to share with everyone? I shook my head and looked to Kelsey to go next. Everyone else followed suit and looked at her as well. When she noticed the eyes on her, she immediately shook her head.

"Oh, um...pass. I'll go next. Or, you know what? I'll go last," she fumbled with a final decision. Everyone shrugged and grew silent. I opened my mouth to speak, but Braddon beat me to it.

"I'm Braddon. And I'm still trying to figure out how you—" he points his finger at me. "—are constantly annoying me," he finished.

I huffed and crossed my arms. I rolled my eyes yet again. I looked forward, not bothering to notice his menacing stare as I answered, "I don't try to."

Now was his turn to roll his eyes. He leaned forward and placed his elbows on his knees. He grasped his hands together and furthered his staring. At this angle, he can get a perfect view of my face. Braddon opened his mouth to reply again, but got caught off...thank Heavens.

"Right! Let's try to keep this light, shall we?" Conner intervened. He mouthed something to Braddon, causing him to raise his hands in surrender. "Alright...Jadore, how about you go next?" he volunteered me.

"Why are we doing this, again?" I questioned curiously. What exactly is the point of this?

"Because we like you—"

"Speak for yourself."

"Because Conner and I like you," Allen continued after Braddon cut him off with his muttered comment. "We want to be friends. It's only fair that we know something about you since you know something about us. You know? A secret for a secret, " he explained clearly.

His logic doesn't make any sense to me.

But I digress.

"So, just so we're clear...you want dirt on me, because I have dirt on you?" I asked for my understanding.

"Exactly!" Conner encourages with a clap of his hands.

"I really don't want to, though," I add on one last time. Connor and Allen gave me an encouraging smile, while Braddon huffed in annoyance. He's upset because he wants to leave, but can't...the con of being a passenger in someone's car.

I opened my mouth to speak again, finally caving, but I was saved by the bell. Literally.

Someone's phone rang, cutting through the silence I was creating. Ironically, it was the person who didn't want to be here to begin with. He pulled the phone from his pocket and answered in an over-friendly manner.

"You need me home? Right now? Yes ma'am...I'm definitely on my way," his voice held obedience, but his face showed rebelliousness. How does he do it? How does he portray one emotion verbally, but a completely different one facially? It's truly a sight to see. Everyone was watching him, waiting for his conversation to end so we can see whether this Kumbaya session will continue or not.

"Well, there you have it! I have to get home, mom's orders," he said without a hint of remorse. I don't blame him; I didn't necessarily want them lingering here as long as they have either. Allen and Conner rose without a fuss. I beat them to the door and opened it, gesturing their departure was first to exit, he gave a kind head nod, to which I replied with a soft wave.

Conner was next in line. There was no surprise when I saw the flirtatious look on his face. He raised a hand to my cheek, and ever-so-gently placed it on my shoulder. "This was fun. I'll call to let you know I made it home safely," he said with mock sincerity. Allen called for him to come on and quite joking around. Conner laughed as he joined Allen at the car parked by my mailbox. Allen pushed him and they both laughed and conversed between themselves.

Last but not least, was the unfriendliest of them all. Braddon stopped infront of me and stared for a moment. He looked to be having a debate in his mind.

"Look, Jadore," he began. He paused and gave a sigh so big his shoulders rose and fell along with it. "I really need to know you're not going to blurt this out to anyone else," he looked into my eyes, and for the first time, I saw honest concern.

His eyes bore deep into mine, and if I wasn't one hundred percent sure superpowers didn't exist, I would have been convinced he was reading my mind. There's something about this boy. Something that makes me feel emotions I typically don't. I usually pride myself in looking at the glass half full instead of half empty. I usually pride myself in being about to see the good in people and situations, so much so that I rarely get angry.

Sure, there's the occasion where I stub my toe on the dresser and get upset that I wasn't paying close enough attention. But I hardly ever feel anger or annoyed at people.

But something about this boy. Braddon Wilson.

In the short amount of time that I've known him, he's caused me to feel emotions I haven't endured before. He's annoyed me, he's confused me, and he's frustrated me. How? How has he been able to grab those emotions that few people can?

In this particular moment, his eyes are compelling me to cave. His eyes are saying the words his pride won't allow him to. Please don't say anything.

"I won't. You have my word. Our word," I corrected myself and gazed to Kelsey, whom nodded vigorously. Braddon looked at me for a second longer, before giving a slight nod and walking outside.

Allen and Conner's conversation ended when Braddon met them by the car.

Conner looked toward me one last time and shouted, "Until next time!"

The friends got into the car –Conner driving, Braddon in the passenger seat, and Allen in the back— and drove done the road. I let out a breath I didn't realize I was holding. I shut the door and leaned against it. I closed my eyes and focused on my breathing. After a moment, I opened them and looked at Kelsey.

"You're going to have an interesting school year," she stated with a chuckle. I shook my head with a chuckle of my own.

Let's hope not.

[AN: yes, it's been a WHILE. But I'm back, and better than ever. Thanks for your patience, and I hope you enjoy.]

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

291K 6K 78
And we're back! But this time we're looking into the lives of the younger siblings: Alyssa Phoenix, Julianna and Jade Ramirez, and their best friend...
12.5K 262 32
Jaxon Campbell was the school bad boy, the rebel that no one wanted to get on his bad side. He was mean, and he was the biggest player that anyone co...
400K 9.4K 45
Copyright © 2014 by casey pascoe. All rights reserved * * * One mistake and he is forced to spend one hour a day with her. Ugh. One mistake and sh...
1.2K 83 30
Remi sensed a set of eyes on her. It was the first time she met Jahari, in her Sophomore year of high school. She falls for him, commits herself to h...