Not Just A Love Story

By _angelawrites

Lauren Campbell is a sweet, simple girl with a bubbly personality. She tries to accept her imperfections and... More

Author's note
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Chapter 49
Chapter 50
EPILOGUE
Bonus chapter

Chapter 23

5.8K 148 9
By _angelawrites

Ethan

I looked at the bleeding wound on her elbow and my heart winced looking at her painful face.

She looked away from me trying to avoid any questions.

Intertwining my hand with her, I led her to one of the office rooms.

After glaring at her until she sat on the couch, I brought the first aid kit and sat beside her.

I slowly took her hand in mine and cleaned the wound. it didn't look that bad but I'm sure it must be hurting her.

After pouring some antiseptic liquid on the cotton, I dabbed it on the wound. she lightly hissed tightening her grip on my hand, I frowned and brought her wounded hand closer to my lips, blowing air on her wound, trying to reduce the burn.

Her tightly shut eyes opened, landing on my face and a small smile graced her pink lips when she saw my action.

I brought my attention back to cleaning the wound and quickly completed treating her wound.

Her intense stare at me made me feel good.

It would be a lie to say that her ignorance didn't affect me at all.

Her lack of response made me scream at myself and everyone.

I couldn't even concentrate on any of my business meetings.

I tried talking to her every chance I got, but she can sometimes be stubborn.

In a way, I felt like I deserved her silent treatment. I left her alone when she so badly wanted to come with me.

It hasn't been even a day, but I missed her continuous random talks, how quickly she jumps from one topic to another, and how her eyes would sparkle when she talks about something she likes.

I placed a light kiss on the back of her hand without realizing what I was doing but didn't regret what I did.

I looked up and her face had a small smile along with a tint of blush on her cheeks.

"Anywhere else?" I ran my eyes on her body for any more visible injuries. But when she shook her head, I finally asked the question.

"What happened?" she hesitated but sighed when she saw my glare and ended up answering.

"I was taking a walk and I tried saving a woman on the road who is obvious to the truck speeding towards her. While helping her and all, I fell."

My exasperation instantly reached heights.

"What if something happened to you?" My voice raised a little.

Even the mere thought of something happening to her made my heart go crazy.

The thought alone scared me.

I don't know what will happen to me if something ever happens to her.

Am I whipped?

"I'm fine, Ethan. you're worrying for no reason." She placed her good hand on my shoulder.

Her touch calmed my wandering mind and erratic heartbeat.

I took her hand and planted my lips on the inside of her palm.

"It tickles." She giggled gesturing to the light beard on my face.

"Does it?" I touched her waist knowing she is very ticklish there careful not to touch her wounded hand.

She jumped and laughed hard trying to get rid of my hands. But I tickled her hard and my lips twitched up looking at her laughing face.

It felt like a slow-motion video when my eyes landed on her angelic face with her brown hair falling on her face and her lips with a big smile.

I stopped my actions pulling her towards me with my hands on her waist but quickly brought my arms back to my side.

Our thighs were touching with the proximity between us. But If I could I wouldn't mind bringing her on my lap. She didn't look uncomfortable with our current proximity.

"Why were you ignoring me?" I have so many questions but I felt this held my priority right now.

I wanted to know why Chris talked to her. but bringing him up right now will ruin the little moment between us. I'll just ask her about him later.

Her blush deepened when she saw how close we sat.

"Because I was mad at you." she poked my chest with her index shrugging her shoulders.

"Why?" I asked knowing the reason all too well.

"I think you know. Don't you?" she squinted her eyes.

Of course, I knew.

"I'm sorry." I apologized.

Although it wasn't the best flex, I never apologized before her. But for her, I'd do things I never did.

She stared at my face thinking. After what felt like hours she finally spoke.

"It's ok." She spoke giving me a small smile.

"Don't ever ignore me again, Lauren." I spoke staring at her hard. She sighed looking at my reaction.

"Fine."

My eyes roamed her face and I wanted her to start talking because I missed her babble.

Our moment was broken when the door burst open and entered Luca.

"I'm sorry." he spoke staring at us.

"What do you want, Luca?" I snapped at him for disturbing us.

Not to mention, Luca being extra sweet towards Lauren irritated me.

"The investors are waiting for you." he spoke and I nodded.

"I'm coming."

***

When I returned to the meeting room, Chris was already there sitting in front of them.

"Yes, Mr Vincenzo," I spoke.

"Well, Mr Kingston, we have come to a decision. The proposal for this project is good. We are ready to invest. But we think it would be beneficial if you and Mr Hudson allied." Mr Vincenzo spoke after discussing with other investors.

When he looked at my frown he further continued.

"Mr Kingston, Kingston industries are prominent for their brilliant designs and manifesting, whereas Mr Hudson's company is well known for their quality supplies. If you two can have a business deal, it would benefit us all three parties." He finished.

I turned towards Chris and he sat with an emotionless face as usual.

"Well, we'll make a move now. let us know later if you are both ready for any alliance together." They left leaving Chris and Ethan alone.

I stayed for a moment thinking about their proposal. It sure is beneficial for us all.

After they left, Chris abruptly stood up. He eyed his anger at me for a good minute before walking away.

I rolled my eyes at his arrogant self before walking out to find Lauren, not like I'm any less arrogant than him but still.

***

Lauren walked out of the bathroom freshly showered. Her lavender and strawberry scent filled my nose.

She is wearing soft pink pyjamas with a teddy bear print on the dress, looking like a child. Her dress looked silly but still good on her.

Involuntarily, I walked toward her while she is standing in front of the mirror and brushing her hair. When she saw me approaching, she turned around and raised her eyebrows.

I took a step forward almost touching her and her scent immediately engulfed me. it is overwhelming in a way.

Her ears turned pink and she took a deep breath. I smirked looking at her reflexive reaction.

I bent a little forward and took my phone from the table behind her. Along the way, I inhaled her scent when I leaned forward towards her neck. I held my phone in front of her to show what I was doing and she blinked at my smirk coming out of her thoughts.

She gave me a forced tight-lipped smile before walking away knocking my shoulder on the way.

"What are you doing?" I frowned at her when she is arranging the pillow and comforter on the couch.

"Playing hide and seek." She replied rolling her eyes.

'Don't you think you're being a lot sarcastic these days?" I scowled at her.

"Thanks to you," she spoke again.

"You can sleep on the bed, Lauren." I suggested.

"I am." She replied.

"Then, why are you setting the couch?" I asked.

"Well, the couch is for you," she smirked at me. And her evil smirk didn't suit her baby face at all.

"Why will I sleep on the couch?" I folded my arms standing in front of her. her eyes went to my muscular arms bulging out of my t-shirt for a moment.

"Because I'm sleeping on the bed." She shrugged nonchalantly.

"What will stop me from sleeping on the bed?" I stepped forward.

"Me?" she answered. But when saw my scoff she glared at me.

"Why? Are you afraid to sleep with me?" I smirked.

"You wish."

I don't need to wish baby. And you know that." I stepped even closer.

"What has happened to you? You are flirting with me these days. But you know, I don't blame you considering how much of a beauty I am." She smirked seeming proud.

"Remind me to take you to an eye doctor once we go back to New York." I smirked at her before walking toward the bed.

"I am beautiful. It's a truth you can't deny, Ethan," she spoke getting on the bed.

"Is that so?" I asked her turning towards her once we both leaned back on the bed.

"Yes, it is." She turned towards me too.

I ran my eyes on her face and she mirrored my actions.

Soon a soft yawn escaped her lips and her eyes hooded with tiredness.

"Good night, Ethan."

"Good night," I spoke and moments later her eyes closed dozing her off.

How can someone sleep that quick?

A soft smile graced my lips when I saw her breathing softly and her face relaxed with a small smile. Her skin felt soft even to look at. Her slightly chubby cheeks presented a cute look on her face. For a few moments more, I did nothing but stare at her. I know it is creepy but can't help it.

I narrowed my eyebrows when I saw a single strand of her brown hair falling on her face disturbing her sleep.

Lifting my hand, I tucked her hair behind her ear all the way brushing my hand on her cheek.

I brought my hand back to not disturb her sleep and softy sighed as tiredness slowly got the best of me.

A single question ran into my mind when I closed my eyes.

I know I like her.

But do I love her?

***

It was the following day and her face had a pout plastered on her lips. She was packing her luggage sulking all the way. Today, we are leaving Milan. Although she didn't complain I can feel her 'sad' vibe even from afar.

After having breakfast, we both reached the parking lot.

"Where is Luca?" I stopped in my tracks listening to her.

"Why? Do you miss him?" I felt a pang of something in my heart.

Is that jealousy?

"Why? Are you jealous?" I ignored her walking ahead.

"Wait. You are." She stated before bursting into laughter.

"Shut up, Lauren," I exclaimed.

"Well, you don't have to. I'm just asking as he is the one who drives around with us all the time," she spoke after her laughter died down.

I ignored her but deep down I felt happy as she only saw him as a driver in a way. Sorry, Luca.

I got in the driver sat and she got in the car.

The engine roared and soon we hit the road.

***

"Isn't the airport the other way?" she asked me looking out a signboard aside from the road.

"We still have hours to go back to New York." I spoke.

"What do you mean?" she asked.

"Don't you want to see Milan?" I asked her and her eyes bulged out of her sockets.

"You are kidding?" she spoke excitedly.

I gave her a shrug and her lips stretched to give me one of her 'I-am-so-happy- -I-can-die' smiles.

We spent the next few hours touring different places in Milan.

Milan is famous for its historical places and different places which had a history behind them.

I spent the entire day listening to her ramble on how happy she is. And not to mention how happy she is while enjoying the food.

Not to mention the number of selfies she clicked in my phone making weird faces irked me. But what brought the worst of me was when she forced me to click selfies together with weird faces and angles. I scoffed at her taking an oath to never do that.

After an endless bickering, she finally won. And I did click my weird face pictures together with her. Its not like I didn't enjoy them at all. Because I did.

When we're finally tired, sitting in a park named 'Giardini Della Guastalla' beside her felt good.

The park is one of the oldest and it is very peaceful.

The cold breeze played with her hair hitting on her face. She sighed looking ahead.

I glanced at the watch and it is time we should go back to our routine lives.

Routine but not boring.

Nothing is boring with her.

"This day is so good." she finally broke the comfortable silence.

I nodded my head at her.

"You can be tolerable at times like this." She smiled looking at me.

"It will not bruise your ego to appreciate me, Lauren." I turned to look at her.

"Firstly, I don't have an ego. And secondly, I don't want to boost your ego." I chuckled at her words.

Her face held a soft smile when she stared at my face. The gentle wind is kind of soothing.

My laugh soon died but the smile didn't leave my face yet. We are sitting close to each other stating ahead.

"I met Chris the night you went out." she spoke out of nowhere.

"Well, I know you are curious about this and will ask me someday." she continued.

"What did he talk about?" I asked her slightly curious.

Well, Ryan and he know about me and my past well. Because they existed in all those moments.

"He told me about how you were friends once." I waited for her to continue.

"He also told me about Olivia." She spoke carefully waiting for my reaction.

Olivia...

"Ethan, I know I shouldn't talk about this. But..." she gulped but continued.

"Maybe you should talk to Chris at least once and listen to him about what happened. You don't know everything, Ethan. You never gave him that chance to speak. This might not clear everything between you two, but it might be a bridge to clear the burden in your heart. At least you will not regret never talking to him." she spoke taking my hand and waiting for my reaction.

My mind is fogged right now.

Regret is the biggest burden anyone could carry. It weighs you down constantly.

I remembered Ryan's words about Chris.

I nodded my head at her not knowing how should I respond and she widened her eyes not believing me.

"You will do that?" she asked me ridiculously.

There is nothing to think about here.

Maybe this one time, I'll listen to them.

At least I will never have any regret.

"I might." A huge smile broke on her lips and she tightened her hold on my hand.

It felt good watching her reaction.

Her small hand fitted well in my hand.

But her smile vanished for a second and she looked deep into her thoughts.

"What happened?" I asked her.

She opened her mouth to say something but quickly shut it.

Her face looked troubled with whatever that running in her mind.

I ran my thumb on her knuckles urging her to continue. She took a moment but finally opened her mouth.

"Do you still love her?" when I frowned, she continued.

"Olivia." She stated.

She looked curious but also afraid of my answer.

Olivia.

Olivia was a pretty, smart, perfect girl. She is what any boy would want.

She was perfect.

Did I love Olivia?

The question was quickly brushed off when I looked at Lauren.

Olivia might be the best, but Lauren is different.

Lauren might not be perfect in everything, but beautiful in every way. Perfection is not always beautiful.

Olivia might be what any boy would want. But Lauren is what a man needs.

A person who understands you, cheers you up at times, supports you, corrects you when you're wrong, with whom you can share your weird jokes, eats late-night snacks with you, and is kind but also strong.

Now looking at what I feel for Lauren, made me realise that I might have never loved Olivia.

Maybe I liked the feeling of having college's perfect girl beside me.

Lauren is what I would want. What I would need anytime.

My chain of thoughts broke listening to her voice.

"You know what. Don't answer it. I might not like the answer." She chuckled nervously abruptly taking her hand away from me.

She maintained her cool but her eyes showed every emotion of her fear, uncertainty with a glint of sadness.

Placing my hand on her chin I turned her face to look at me.

When she didn't look up, I ran my thumb on her chin and she finally did look up.

"No" I spoke and she frowned.

"I never loved Olivia." I spoke and relief flashed across her.

"You don't?" she asked me leaning her face sideway to look at me.

She looked like a baby who is cutely asking to buy her favourite toy.

My hand went from her chin to her cheek.

My thumb ran on her cheek feeling her soft warm skin under my hand and she involuntarily leaned into my hand.

"I don't."

She looked majestic and at that moment I didn't what I did or what I was going to do.

My face leaned in towards her and she didn't stop me.

My eyes ran over her face before landing on her soft pink lips. They looked pink and full.

Her eyes mirrored mine.

I leaned in close and just an inch more and my lips would touch hers.

The number of times, I wondered what her lips would taste like, flashed in my mind.

I always wanted to kiss her but now it is finally happening, it somewhat felt different in a good way.

I don't want her to feel rushed. I don't want this to be just a kiss for us.

Many doubts flashed in my mind. And all had a common denominator the feel of her lips on mine.

When she closed her eyes, I didn't think of anything further before pressing my lips to hers.

My heartbeat increased but her lips on mine were soothing.

She tasted like Strawberries. strawberries along with the lavender scent coming off her body felt heavenly.

I pulled her towards me placing my other hand on her waist and her hands got lost in my hair.

I raised her head to deepen the kiss and all those feelings intensified in my body.

My heart fluttered in my chest when she responded mirroring my actions and tormenting my lips.

The feel of her lips and her hands touching my hair and my body sent shivers down my spine.

The mere feel of the kiss between us threw me into a trance of immense pleasure.

I could kiss her forever.

Lauren's POV

My left hand gripped his shirt tight whereas the other is in his hair. His soft hair tickled my hand.

When his grip on my waist tightened, a small gasp left my lips giving him a chance to plunge his tongue into my mouth.

I didn't know what I was doing but the actions were pleasurable.

His tongue explored my mouth and my body is melting in all places due to his torment on my mouth.

Although the kiss started soft and slow, it became passionate in mere seconds. It's like we are speaking unspoken words.

I would have collapsed to the ground with all the feelings inside me. Thankfully we're sitting.

My blood rushed inside me due to the adrenaline rush.

The kiss definitely felt passionate but not rushed nor needy.

He smelled like a new rich perfume along with coffee beans and some natural scent.

His scent was addictive.

He finally moved back taking his time in leaving my lips. With the sudden loss of contact, I opened my eyes.

We were both panting.

His normally blue eyes but now almost black eyes ran all over my face. The dilated eyes gave his handsome face a new look.

My flushed face felt hot just by looking at him.

I opened my mouth to get rid of the silence but was silenced when he smooched my lips again.

When he leaned back my lips couldn't stop smiling.

A rich chuckle escaped his mouth looking at my reaction.

We both looked at each other before bursting into chuckle. I don't know why am I even laughing.

Because maybe I longed for his kiss.

The happiness you feel when you finally kiss someone you wanted to kiss forever.

I looked up at his face and his eyes reflected my feelings in a way helping me conclude my thoughts.

And the thought is,

I love him.

Author's notes.

Hey. Thanks for reading.

Please vote, comment and share.

Bye, and Take care.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

360K 11.4K 25
"Dear Diary Now there is nothing but uncertainty around my future. I got married, to Ethan Carter.The merger that let us to this pinnacle came at a c...
811 32 27
Emily Lucas Anderson a sweet, innocent caring girl. Due to her past she's broken but doesn't let her fear show. From outside she's a princess but in...
44.9K 1.9K 41
"Ladies and Gentlemen, thanks for coming to the party we have collected a good amount for the charity. I also would like to say that this party is no...
741 46 39
A 40 years old billionaire that is the ceo of many companies in the world. Is know as the most richest man and also a man who can get every women he...