The Ocean's Barwaaqo

De tradmagazine

Gifts Given By the Ocean can also be taken back. After the death of the Village Head, estranged cousins Mande... Mai multe

z e r o
o n e
t w o
t h r e e
f o u r
f i v e
s i x
s e v e n
e i g h t
n i n e
t e n
e l e v e n
t w e l v e
t h i r t e e n
f o u r t e e n
f i f t e e n
s e v e n t e e n
e i g h t e e n
n i n e t e e n
t w e n t y
e p i l o g u e

s i x t e e n

7 3 0
De tradmagazine

~ Intaadan fallin ka fiirso ~

Look before you leap

( Consider all aspects of a situation before you take any action)

MANDEEQ

Deeg, deeg, dame! There was nothing more comforting for Mandeeq than to have her hands moving. To hear the sound of wood and metal break and bend into any shape she desired, her body in a rhythmic trance but her mind, an ocean of worry.

It had been too dark to go any deeper down the ocean, and with darkness came untold danger that only Amana could navigate, but she wasn't here now. It was only Shermake, Zahi and Mandeeq.

Mandeeq letting her guard down allowed the group to be attacked by that warrior. So she suggested that they should find a light source that could guide them on their way. Mandeeq had Shermake ask some jellyfish to volunteer their time. Their bioluminescent glow was a perfect way to navigate the dark waves. That familiar feeling before she crafted something filled her hands, a feeling she has longed for greatly.

Gathering seaweed as a string and frames from old shipwrecks, Mandeeq, with her inventor spirit, got to work to build leashes so that the jellyfish would not escape from them. The leashes also tied them to Zahi, who would make sure not to lead them into an unknown place.

It was by God's grace alone that they were able to come out of that fight alive, and with new information too. The mermaid had told them the story of the Somali Nomads that travelled to the coast long ago. The two parties had put their weapons aside and decided to have a dialogue under the flagpole of an old boat eating sea snakes (that Mandeeq thought was definitely an acquired taste) while the warrior shared the origin of it all.

"They went where their camels would take them," the warrior said, grilling sea snakes under the mysterious blue flame that flickered brightly in the deep waters. The sight confused Mandeeq as fire under water was unheard of but she knew better than to question anything she saw after everything that had occurred.

"And for this small tribe, it took them to the ocean. Our kind has lived in these seas for as long as we've been conscious of our own existence. These waters are much like what you humans call a heart. Something you cannot live without. So, naturally we were wary of the humans that had begun to fish in our waters. Yet some mermaids were...curious." She glanced Amana's way, as if to liken her to the case.

"One day, our princess went into the shallow end of the shore, only to be caught by villagers. They carried her to the land, to be seen by the villagers who called her a demon. Many wanted to kill her, but others thought it was a hasty decision."

The warrior touched a trinket embedded in her ear. Mandeeq looked at the emerald green jewel and could tell that this story was not just some far off tale, it was...personal somehow. She sat up straight and leaned forward to intently listen to this story the warrior felt an urge to tell.

"Our Queen at the time had sent a mass wave meant to destroy the people that had spirited away her daughter. However, one lucky soul saved their people."

"This ancestor of yours, he was the son of the village's Sheikh, he was a very patient man who listened to every person's story without judgement." He sounded much like Mandeeq and Shermake's grandfather. "His words contradicted the actions of his people, you could feel the disappointment rolling off of him."

"He talked to the Queen, asked her to let them live in exchange for her daughter. However, the Queen foresaw that if the Humans were to spread news of their existence, their entire society could be at risk. And so, they struck a deal." The warrior's fins flicked back and forth, as if she was anxious. Meanwhile, she glared deep into the distance and probably even deeper into her memories.

"In exchange for keeping silent about their world and protecting the waters from outsiders, they would grant the villagers extraordinary gifts that would reflect the best parts of themselves. However, the leader of the village who would protect the land must be worthy of it. And so the Mark of Rule had been established. To have good intentions and a courageous heart...yet somehow, this sacred rule has been sullied by the greed of humans in this age." She said, looking back at Mandeeq, her purple eyes darkened with disgust.

"Know this Children of Hassan, it is not easy to mend broken bonds, nor will it ever be easy to satiate the greed of humanity. Whatever you decide to do, know that going against the wave there will always be resistance.."

"The truth is," the warrior continued, "there have been a small number of warriors who have been running rogue. The queen doesn't know yet but they put on fake faces for her. Sometimes, All you have to do is throw a few good graces her way and she'll listen to anything you say." 

"You think it's easy being a warrior? You can't move or think for yourself. You're nothing but a glorified pawn. I used to be like Amana, hungry for opportunity and then I heard about this warrior position. I'm low born so I barely had a chance but I impressed them with my tenacity and loyalty. I made something with myself by enduring the torture that was training so I could make sure my family went to sleep every night with full bellies." The warrior pointedly looked at Amana. "Something maybe you should be doing."

Amana shook her head and turned to look off to the side, silently dismissing the ludicrous suggestion of the warrior.

Some of what the warrior had said resonated with Mandeeq, even though she might not fully understand exactly what it's like to be a warrior but she knew how it felt to be controlled. To do things out of desperation.

Hooyo did everything she could to turn Mandeeq into a proper young girl ready for marriage but she fought back. She knew hooyo had good intentions but there was more in store for Mandeeq. It brewed in her bones, the need to chase the different and maybe even achieve the impossible.

She recalled an argument with Hooyo about burning a pot of baaris. Mandeeq had been distracted as she tried to sketch some plans for a new idea she had, failing to pay attention to how high the flames have gotten.

"Mandeeq!" Hooyo's shout had her moving instantly, putting the fire out and hoping the rice would be edible. It wasn't.

Hooyo sighed and rubbed her forehead, looking more tired than she had ever looked. "I can't keep doing this with you. You keep running off in your mind and abandoning your duties here."

Hooyo grabbed the pot and threw it in the tub of water that sat outside for dirty dishes. The hiss as it sunk beneath the surface was loud. "Where did I go wrong with you?"

Her mother's words had hurt so Mandeeq went to her bedroom, giving some space to her overworked mother. Nothing she ever did was good enough. There was always something to improve on. Her sambuus was soggy and lacked flavour. Her canjeelo was too doughy. Hooyo had even once called her shaax, a step above water.

Mandeeq will always love her mother but sometimes she yearned to just disappear and start over somewhere on her own where she could invent as many things as she wanted and not be taken on a guilt trip for neglecting outdated traditions.

She wondered what her mother was like. She must've been every parent's dream child, following whatever they said without even a moment of disobedience.

Mandeeq sighed and pulled out the small chest of trinkets her mother had passed to her as soon as she learned how to walk. She wasn't supposed to open this box until she got married but today the temptation was at an all time high. Besides, what hooyo didn't know couldn't hurt her.

As she lifted the lid, she was greeted by a plethora of small items, mostly jewelry.  There was a black feather and also a small wooden cube that looked broken. It must've grown worn over time. She reached for a golden ring that had some small marks of damage on it. The minute her finger tips touched the ring she was drawn into a memory, air whooshed around her as she closed her eyes and let her gift do what it was supposed to.

"I do not want to get married!" A young girl screamed.

"You will." A man in a white guntino with a long beard grabbed the elbow of the girl and dragged her outside and tossed her on the ground. "If you refuse this, you're no better than dead to me."

The man angrily walked back inside the home and returned with something in his palm. "This crazy thing you spend all your time on is cursed." He dropped the item on the ground and stomped on it.

The girl screamed and tried to get him to stop but he shoved her aside and continued, his stomps angry and loud as sand billowed around his feet. The girl started sobbing as she watched him destroy something that was very obliviously important to her. 

After a few moments, satisfied with the harm he had done, the man walked away leaving the girl whimpering on the ground.

Once he was out of sight, she crawled closer to the item and clutched the broken pieces close to her chest.

The girl abruptly got up and opened her palms revealing the items which looked to be unrecognized able. Small broken pieces of wood laid within her hands along with a gold ring that had somehow retained its shape. It's must've been a small jewelry holder she had made herself.

"Aabe is right. I have to end this frivolous hobby of mine and do right by my family." She wiped away her tears and took a deep breath before following in the direction her father went.

Mandeeq was pushed out of the memory and held the ring in between her two fingers. She brought it closer to her eyes and she could see the scuff marks. That young girl was her mother. A tear escaped Mandeeq and slipped down her cheek. Why was she crying? Was it for the pain her mother had endured? Or was it because she saw the exact moment something broke inside her mother?

Mandeeq quickly put the ring back and slid the chest back underneath her bed and wiped the tears away. She walked back out of the room to se her mother furiously scrubbing at the pot that had gone black, trying to bring it back to life somehow.

Mandeeq got down on her knees next to her mother and grabbed her hands within the water, her mother's hand stilling. "Hooyo, I'm sorry. I know sometimes I can be stubborn and difficult but I know I'm going to be deeply unhappy with this type of life."

Hooyo sighed and dropped the pot, drying her hands on her baati. "Listen to me. Life is not easy. It throws all types of stones at you and I just want you to be ready for all of them. Marriage can do that for you."

Mandeeq sighed and bit her tongue. She didn't want to upset her mother after what she had just witnessed so instead she just nodded along to her words and helped her scrub the pot.

"Why us? Why come after us when you already had all of our people?" Shermake said, pulling Mandeeq from the past and into the present.

"None of you can be left to the surface. To protect our existence from being spoken of, it was decided that the era of the pact with humans must end."

"Who decided this? It's not like any of us knew anything," Mandeeq said.

Her ever gentle grandfather, who always listened to her stories and thoughts, had never said a thing about the mermaids. Mandeeq knew that she shouldn't blame him. After all, her family was already starting to break apart. Maybe he was stopping her Uncle from hating his family even more.

How terrible was the hatred that infested the hearts of those who were once pure. Mandeeq wondered if this cycle of hatred would ever end, could she and her cousin ever put a stop to it? Or would they too one day end up like their parents, bitter and prideful.

"Our Queen and her council of elders are wise. They know what's best for the ocean's people"

Mandeeq caught Amana rolling her eyes.

"Been," she said under her breath.

"Calling the Queen a liar? You really want to add onto your offences, don't you bottom-feeder?" The warrior said, pointing the skewered snake at her menacingly.

"They don't know anything about what's best for us! That's the truth! Or else I wouldn't have to swim far and wide to provide for my family," Amana said.

"I have six siblings, the youngest can barely swim on his own fins. They're not able to fend for themselves, we don't even have enough to eat at night! You think bringing more mermaids will help our case? I could work many days and nights without sleeping and it still won't be enough to last us a few days. That kingdom you're so fond of, what exactly have they done for us so called bottom feeders?"

Crystallised salt fell off Amana's cheeks and into the ever wide ocean. Mandeeq could see how helpless Amana felt, under the reign of people who didn't seem to care about her. Mandeeq felt fortunate to have had the compassionate leader of her village for she wasn't sure what she would do if she had the queen ruling her every move with an iron fist.

"I don't know what the right path is, but I know that no matter what we at least need to try and save our family. Despite our differences, we're the same. We're both trying to protect our people, but our methods are different." Mandeeq said. "I don't know too much about your leader, but if she doesn't even lend an ear to her subjects...if she doesn't even care about how her actions affect her people. Then how is she to judge our village when she isn't taking care of her own?"

The Warrior narrowed her eyes at Mandeeq, as if part of her wanted to shut her up with her blade, but the other part of her wanted to see how far humans could go. Especially against the Queen.

"I see that you are set in your ways, and while there's not much I can do for you I will allow you three to go" she said finally.

"Three?" Shermake said.

"Yes, three," the warrior said. "While I can allow you outsiders to escape, I need to bring Amana in to be tried in court. She's still a traitor."

"But she was just trying to help us!" Shermake said.

"That may be, but it doesn't matter. If you disagree, I won't hesitate to take you all with me instead."

"Shermake, Mandeeq. Go, don't worry about me," Amana said. "I'll be fine but you two have something you need to do."

Mandeeq wanted to tell her no, but Shermake held her back. Knowing that Amana's sacrifice was needed. He knew that she didn't want to lose her on top of everyone else. The funeral was already a toll on her heart and so was this whole adventure. She couldn't take any more, and she didn't think Shermake could either.

Amana lunged forward towards the cousins, embracing them. They were a part of her family now, human and mermaid joined by something deeper than a treaty.

"Let's go," the warrior said, grabbing the mermaid by the wrist.

"What's your name?" Mandeeq asked the warrior.

"Safi. Safi of the Shell. Goodbye, brave humans. And I wish you the best in the journey." Safi paused. "Make sure you expose the wrong doings on both sides. Maybe that will be the key to fix all of this." She swam off, taking Amana with her.

Mandeeq tied the last harness to Zahi, who waited outside the shipwreck silently. As the jellyfish swarmed around them, their light was a guide to their goal.

Shermake swam towards his cousin, placing a hand on her shoulder.

"You know," he said, as he pulled Mandeeq into an embrace. "You've done well, cousin."

His tight embrace was a gentle reminder, she wasn't alone. Nor would she ever be on this journey.

Mandeeq's heart swelled at his words, a small acknowledgement that made her feel like all of this was worth it. Even if all else failed, her cousin, her brother was at her side through it all. Throughout her time in the ocean, a lot of things Awoowe said started to make sense.

"Thank you, Shermake." she said, hugging him back. "Now, instead of getting all sappy on me, why don't we go save our family instead."

Shermake let go a sigh, "way to ruin the moment." Mandeeq laughed.

Gone were the days where Mandeeq thought that the family politics had nothing to do with her. Her whole world now lives under the ocean—their whole world. She wouldn't allow any petty greed to get between her world any longer. Justice demanded them to fix it.

"Are you ready?" Shermake asked his cousin, his eyes burning brighter than Mandeeq had ever seen them.

Mandeeq thought that was a loaded question if she had ever heard one. Ready for what, exactly? Ready to free their people? Save their village? Risk their lives? Confront the queen? There was so much to be ready for but now was not the time to overthink.

Amana had sacrificed her freedom for Mandeeq and Shermake because she knew this was bigger than just them and she would not let that be in vain. Mandeeq mindlessly scratched her arm as she found herself lost in thought. Would Awoowe be proud of her at this moment? Would he have done things differently? He probably could've negotiated his way out of this entire unfortunate event. He always encouraged Mandeeq to think outside of the box but applying it was a different matter.

She finally looked at Shermake and nodded with a smile. "Let's go get our family back."

They headed off on Zahi's back, with a bloom of jellyfish as a guiding light. It wasn't quite as dark as before, they were able to see where they were going. It was even kind of symbolic, maybe their path would be lit for them from now on. Mandeeq chuckled to herself and laid her head on the back of Zahi's neck. He didn't turn to look at her but he huffed.

"Soon," she thought. "Hooyo, Abo, Adeer, Ayeeyo...we'll get you back."

Continuă lectura

O să-ți placă și

1.1K 27 25
(Book 6 in the Family Ties Series) Since being adopted by the Solomon's, life has changed drastically for Faye Mercer. Not only has she discovered an...
570 34 29
A few weeks ago, Luke and Heidi made up and got back together. You'd probably know they would, like, doesn't that happen in every breakup story? If w...
295K 11.3K 26
Kaia Irey just lost her father to lung cancer. She can't handle the loss so she returns to the only thing they both did every day, sailing in the cov...
101 26 25
A pirate... A mermaid... And an ocean full of adventure. When Ace and his adopted father find a treasure-laden shipwreck on the bottom of the ocean...