STAMP OF APPROVAL - a selecti...

By DC_Rose

The nation of Illéa was looking forward to their Crown Princess, Helena Schreave, taking her rightful place o... More

prelude
intro
the cast
the articles
reading the articles
the sunflower
garage
application
undercover
"as if i should be here"
dating is harder than it looks
"we still fell"
a good choice
"did you seriously just quote Princess Diaries 2?"
the late night waltz
"is everything in there worth noting?"
no playing favorites
"i'm gonna teach you to skateboard"
lightning strikes
"i didn't have time to put on a shirt"
a head full of confusion
"casualty of being in the Coast Guard, i suppose"
a wave crashes down
"i don't want anymore seaweed"
my hero
"can i cut in?"
a seed of doubt
"if i can be seen in public with both of you still in your pajamas"
tell me it'll be okay
"because i'm my father's son"
the tough goodbyes
"it's a funeral, after all"
with you, i'm home
"why would you pick me?"
tough choices lie ahead
"you're asking me if i love her"
three little words
"i never thought i'd find anyone"
finally
"and i'm choosing you"
the buildup
"will you marry me?"
epilogue

it was never supposed to be me

47 1 0
By DC_Rose

C H A R L O T T E

written by animationchic/aOK706

round one ||

November 27th

11:42 pm

"Are you insane?" Hellie's tinny voice rings out into the night, making me wince in pain.

Whenever she raises her voice like this, I can't help but wince. It's her older sister's voice, her Princess voice. And I hate it when she directs it at me.

"What?" I ask, already exasperated with the conversation. The same conversation I've had all day, ever since the announcement was made.

"A Selection? And you're making it mandatory?" Hellie squints at me. She's complained a few times that she can't see me clearly enough, but what does she expect? I'm hiding in my closet just so I can talk to her.

"That wasn't my idea," I defend myself. Then I pause, "Actually, none of it was my idea."

"So why are you doing it? I mean, Charlie, come on, is this really what you want?" Hellie asks, putting on her other big sister's voice. The one that makes it seem like she's all concerned. She probably is, but she kind of lost that right when she left.

"I don't really have a choice, Helena," I say scowling at her for using that nickname. "If I'm going to be queen I have to marry one of the people. It's in the bylaws. So if this is what I have to do then—"

"Come on, Charlotte, they could change the bylaws if they wanted to, you just have to push them—"

"Helena, you don't really get to have an opinion on this, okay? So if you would just... Not, that would be great. 'Kay? Thanks," I say forcefully, seriously considering slamming the laptop shut, effectively hanging up on her.

"Okay, I'm sorry! You're right, I'm sorry!" Hellie says, holding her hands up. I can tell by the look on her face that she is, in fact, sorry. She sighs. "Look Charlotte, I just want what's best for you, okay?" We fall silent for a little while, both of us in our own world when she asks again, "Okay, but mandatory?"

I sigh. "That's Dads and Uncle Phillip's idea. They're basically worried that I won't get enough entries since we pushed the Selection back a few years, and because— well, because I'm not you."

"Charlotte Grace, that is absolutely the most idiotic thing I have—"

"Hellie, I'm not! It's okay that I'm not but the people grew up thinking they would get you. That's not either of our fault. And things have been up in the air about this whole thing ever since you left. They know I wasn't groomed for this, that I'm the second choice," I rush ahead, cutting her off. "Hellie, I'm not you, so to increase my odds, they made it mandatory."

Helena sighs, not arguing anymore, for once. Then she tilts her head and looks at me in that way I know nothing good will come next, "So is this thing really going to be random? Because I cannot picture dad letting that actually happen. And also, please please let me see ahead of time. I need to know who my little sister is going to be dating—"

I chuckle, shaking my head. Typical Helena. She is more like our father than she will ever admit, never wanting to give over full control. I can't help but let it bring me joy. Lord knows I will need it in the days ahead.

||||||||||

December 10th

3:12am

I drum my nails on the large mahogany table, staring at the profiles in front of me. Five provinces. I was only given five provinces to choose my own candidates. And still I can't seem to make up my mind.

I was never meant to be the heir. No, that was supposed to be my perfect, beloved sister Helena. This was supposed to be her duty, her job to rule the country, her job to marry one of the people. Not mine. No, I'm just supposed to be the spare. Yet here I sit with profiles of young men from just five provinces and somehow, I'm supposed to narrow it down to just one from each.

I stare at the brief bios of each of the men. A doctor, a lawyer, a mechanic, the list goes on and on. They list their favorite meals and their hobbies. How did the others do this?

I mean, I know how they did it. They studied the profiles and did online searches. They weeded out anyone too young or too old, anyone who listed their occupation as musician but weren't famous. It was long and tedious and yet for them it seemed so easy. Then again, they don't have to marry one of these guys. I do though.

Ever since Hellie eloped, this has been my life. I held it off for as long as I could, begging that my lessons should come first. I should understand the job before I would expect someone else to come along and share the burden. It worked, until it didn't. I swear, my mother hears my biological clock ticking in her head and an alarm apparently went off this year. I need to marry, start making a family or this was all for naught.

So here I am, at three a.m. the night before The Report is going to announce who the Selected men are and I still haven't chosen my five candidates. What if I throw away my soulmate? What if my soulmate isn't in any of these applications? Do I even believe in soulmates? I don't even know anymore. What I do know is my father is expecting these profiles at six a.m. tomorrow and I need to make my decision. Yesterday.

I close my eyes and mix the ten profiles I pulled for Hansport. I figure if I pull one and am disappointed by what it says, I'll pull another. And so on and so forth. It seems to work. For the most part I'm happy with my blind choices. And then Calgary. One profile kept sticking out to me during my initial read throughs so I kept it hidden from the very beginning. I know my parents would be upset if I chose him, but something keeps bringing me back to this one profile. Maybe it's rebellion, maybe I read something that intrigues me, it's too late and I've had too much caffeine. I can't be entirely sure.

Maybe I should nap on it, not make any rash decisions. Maybe I should just buck up and do it. I don't know.

I don't know, I don't know, I don't know.

The clock in the hall chimes four and I make the rash decision. In a neat pile I stack my choices, my five picks for my Selection. Compared to the other pile, it's so small. Compared to the other pile, it's so, so late. But it's there. It's done. And as of six a.m. tomorrow, there's no going back.

||||||||||

December 11th

9:30pm

"Oh my gosh, Charlie, some of these guys are hot," Nat says from the couch in my suite. She's flipping through the Selected photos and bios. She's supposed to be quizzing me on the guys, but I think she's just ogling them instead.

"It's not about their looks, Natalia," I chide, flipping through my own stack. Maybe I need to make flash cards. They'll be more helpful than Natalia is right now.

"I know, but they don't hurt." Henley grins from her own stack of profiles.

I glance at some of the photos and I have to admit, Nat isn't wrong. Some of these guys are good looking, very good looking. I lean back in the armchair and sigh.

"What's wrong?" Henley frowns, noticing my exasperation.

"I am in way over my head." I shake my head and lean my head against my fist.

"What do you mean?" Nat shifts, pulling her legs under her, making her look even more like a little kid.

"I can't even remember the last time I went on a date, and now I have to date thirty-five guys?" I say like the idea is just now connecting in my head. In reality, it's something that's been worrying me ever since the topic first came up. "You guys, how do I even do this? I mean the last time I dated it was just high school boys and these... these are men. I don't even know how to talk to men."

"Charlotte, you got this," Henley says.

"Easy for you to say," I whine. "You've been on dates."

Henley rolls her eyes. "Charlotte, that doesn't matter. Those were boys too. Not men. The important thing is to remember who you are and what you're looking for."

"And if I don't know those things?" I ask, shaking my head. Because the truth is, I'm not sure that I do.

"Oh, now, that is ridiculous," Nat says as she shifts again. This girl can never sit still, I swear. "You are Charlotte. You are a sister, a cousin and an amazing friend. You like Taylor Swift and Jeopardy and one day you are going to make a great queen."

"Well said." Henley nods and then looks at me. "So now you just need to decide what you're looking for."

I shake my head. "How do I even do that?"

"Well I think the most important question is," Nat says, pausing for dramatic effect. I almost roll my eyes but I want to know what she has to say. "Are you looking for someone who will make a good king or someone who will make a good husband?"

"Why can't she have both?" Henley asks, hitting Natalia with the couch pillow. "She deserves both."

"I agree." Nat nods. "But I don't know how easy that'll come. So, if you have to choose, I think it would be a good thing to know what you'd choose going in."

"Nat, that's really smart," I tell her and my baby cousin beams proudly.

"I have my moments." She grins and flips another bio over, frowning. "Now, what is a hippotherapist? Charlotte, I think one of your Selected lied about his job. There's no way this guy is actually a therapist for hippos. Who needs that?"

Henley and I snort, both of us tossing pillows at Nat.

"What?" she asks, laughing and looking at us in confusion.

"Good to have you back, kid," Henley says, taking her pillow back, grinning at my cousin. "Good to have you back."

||||||||||

December 30th

11:00am

"Have you seen this?" My father slaps the pile of magazines down onto the desk in front of me, each of them turned to the same Selected profile. I sigh and my father grits his teeth. "Did you know?"

"Dad, I—" I shake my head but he cuts me off.

"This is completely inappropriate Charlotte, and you well know it. Look how this looks! Just look at him, no way can he be king, not looking like that," Dad is on a roll, so I sit there under his anger, letting it rage against me. I should have seen this coming. I saw the articles. I knew how he would feel, I guess I was just hoping he wouldn't bring it up. I should have known better. "Charlotte, look at me when I'm talking to you!"

"Dad, what do you want me to do about it?" I fire back, finally letting the fire I got from my dad burn through. I had had enough.

"Get rid of him, today," he spits the words at me but I'm already shaking my head.

"They're just now flying in," I argue. "That's not fair."

"Screw fair!" he bellows and I can't help but think that it's a good thing this office has thick walls. "Do you know how this makes us look?"

"It makes it look like we actually gave everyone a fair chance!" I shout back, standing up.

"What has gotten into you?" My father gapes at me and to be fair, I'm not even sure myself. "Charlotte, look at that boy. He looks like a thug. He's completely inappropriate for the palace! Send him home!"

"We already agreed that I'm not sending anyone home until after the first week, Dad. In fact, you are the one who came up with that," I say, standing up and moving out from under his gaze.

"Charlotte, that is an order," Dad says, his face getting red. "Send the boy home."

"No," I say simply, lifting my chin and setting my shoulders.

My father breathes out slowly, a sure sign that he is madder than ever. He paces a bit before turning back to me suddenly, "Fine. But after a week, you're sending ten men home and you are staying out of sight until the unmasking. You are to talk to no one, not even Bard."

He spins on his heel and moves to the door. Just when I think I'm in the clear, he turns back to me and adds, "And don't think I didn't notice that you stuck a guard in there." Then he softens, just barely, "But that was a good idea, Charlotte. Someone to get a real read on these guys, good idea."

I sigh in relief as he finally exits the room. I sag back into my chair and look down at the magazines in front of me. As a general rule, I don't read these magazines. I know how easily everything said gets skewed one way or another, I don't want anything influencing my opinion before any of the guys before I even met them. But then again, Henley and Natalia have been parroting these articles to me at every opportunity, so I probably already know everything.

I pull the magazines towards me, finally giving in and flipping the glossy pages. As I read through the bios printed for all the nation to see I can't help but smile. Truth is, I'm actually really excited for tomorrow night.

||||||||||

December 30th

1:30pm

"Wynnie!" I squeal, running to my cousin. She laughs as she wraps me in the tightest hug I've had all year.

"Charlotte!" Wynnie says in my ear, her accent making my name sound more poetic than it really is.

"I am so happy you are here," I tell her, stepping back but hanging onto her hands and I look at her.

"Nope, nuh-uh, do not look at me with those eyes," Wynnie says, giving me a hard look. "No pity. I am not here for pity. I am here to help you find a man."

"And boy, does this girl need help," Henley interjects, wrapping my cousin into a hug. She smiles and looks at Wynnie. "You know this one thought it would be a good idea to take the boys shopping."

"I did not!" I cry, swiping at my best friend.

"Oh, you're right, that was Natalia." Henley chuckles and hugs Wynnie once more.

"The men from my country would love to take a beautiful woman shopping, shower her with beautiful things," Wynnie says, shrugging her shoulders.

"Trust me, men from this country, shopping is not most of their favorite pastimes," I tell my sweet cousin and she just shrugs her shoulders.

"You never know. Now, show me to my room, I want to freshen up before I am to meet these Charlotte hopefuls." Wynnie smiles warmly.

"Oh my god, did you see the profiles I sent?" Henley asks as she takes my cousin by the arm.

"Yes I did." Wynnie smiles and then her smile turns into a sly grin. "So has Hendrix started the betting pool yet?"

"Yep and just so you know there are 12 to 1 odds on—"

"Nope, don't even talk to me about any of it!" I say holding my hands over my ears. Both girls turn to me, smiling. "I don't want your guys' opinions swaying me. I need to get to know these guys myself."

"Okay, okay, chill." Wynnie grins at Henley. They both slow their steps and I sigh, walking quickly ahead of them, leaving them to their gossip. Just one more night. One more night and I will finally have my first real impressions of the guys.

Lord, help me with this one.

||||||||||

December 31st

5:00pm

"Okay, your highness and that is that, we are ready for your mask." Madeleine smiles at me through her own, more plain mask. I keep going back and forth between thinking this masquerade is ridiculous and genius. Right now, I'm on the side of ridiculous.

I shake my head. "First I want to be sure all the doubles look right."

"Audrey has it all under control, or do you not trust your assistant?" Madeleine chides and I roll my eyes at her. She knows I would trust Audrey with my life. "Now, let's put on your mask. I want to be sure your hair looks right around the ribbon."

My hair did not, in fact, look right with the mask. Poor Madeleine had to completely redo my hair. The ribbon wouldn't lay right and by the time she got the hundredth bobby pin in place, the ball was well underway. I sigh more to myself seeing the surging crowd in the room. We had all been so divided on the best way for me to meet the Selected for the first time. But today is my birthday and in the end, my mother's need to throw a party celebrating that fact won out. Now we're all wearing masks and I can't tell one man from the next. But maybe that's not a bad thing. Now, I can talk to as many people as possible and if a connection is there...

"Your highness," Audrey murmurs next to me, startling me.

"Audrey, you know you can't say that tonight," I whisper, my eyes wide. She just smiles behind her own half mask and rolls her eyes at me.

"You know anyone worth their salt would still be able to recognize you, right?" she chides and I grimace behind my own mask.

"I hope not," I say, smoothing down my skirt. My dress was a beautiful coral color but the chiffon skirt has a tendency to play games around my ankles.

Audrey rolls her eyes at me once more and glances out among the crowd once more. "Enough standing around and talking to me, get out there. Go meet some guys."

"But I like talking to you," I pout, my nerves erupting in my stomach, the butterflies to the floral appliques on my gown.

"Go, or your parents will fire me," she warns. I go, knowing she's most likely joking, but just in case.

"My name is Danil," the tallish stranger whispers in my ear and I almost stumble a bit. He grins at me, a devilish grin, and I can't help but smile back a bit even as I chide him.

"You know you're not supposed to tell anyone your name," I tell him, looking up at him as he takes us through another series of steps.

"I can't help it, you're so beautiful, I want you to be able to find me when this is all over." His grin widens and it clicks.

"Are you going around telling all of the girls your name?" I ask him, narrowing my eyes behind my mask.

A slight blush colors his cheeks as he glances down, caught. "Guilty," he chuckles, sounding almost worried. Almost. He glances back up at me. "I figure it can't hurt. The princess is somewhere in this room and why not make a lasting impression?"

"Ah," I say, like I'm just now catching on. Then I smile. "Well, I won't tell anyone if you don't."

Danil's smile grows, genuine for probably the first time all night. "Sounds like a deal worth taking." The song comes to an end and with one final spin, Danil bows low and murmurs, "Thank you for the dance, I can honestly say it was the highlight of the evening."

"Okay, smooth talker." I grin at him as I walk away. I make a beeline for a small sitting area off to the side, ready to relax and have at least a cup of water, but my father catches me before I even make it two feet off of the dancefloor.

"Charlotte," my father says my name softly but still I know the carrying power his voice has. I shush him, glancing around to see if anyone noticed. He glares softly at me before turning me to a figure clad in a hunter green tuxedo. I can't help but wonder if he happened to choose his tux color to stand out or because he thought it would endear him to me if he wore my favorite color. Probably both. "I have found your next dance partner."

"Dad, I don't need—" I start to protest but he's already walking away. He knows I won't disobey, but something makes me want to. He throws a glance over his shoulder and then nods at me, reminding me of the deal. Of our deal. Of what's at stake.

I walk forward and approach the man, smiling as genuinely as I can. "Would you care to dance?"

He looks at me for a brief moment before swallowing and handing his small plate off to his neighbor, never taking his eyes off of me. Finally when he speaks his voice is filled with confidence, "I would like nothing more."

I purse back my smile. That was a bit much and I'm surprised as he laughs, reaching up to rub at his hair before remembering that he's wearing a mask. "Sorry," he says. "That was a bit over the top, huh?" I tilt my head back and forth like I'm debating but he just nods and says again, "It was. Are you sure you want to dance with me?"

"Come on or we'll miss the whole dance," I say, taking his hand and pulling him into the crowd. He lets me pull him along but as soon as we make it to our spot he turns me with sure hands and holds me steadily against him, taking complete control. I'm a little surprised. Most of the men here tonight haven't known how to dance, how to lead, but this one, he seems to have no issues taking over. It's kind of nice.

"Are you enjoying the night?" he asks, his voice still filled with confidence and I'm starting to wonder if it's a well earned confidence.

"I am," I admit, surprising even myself. "Are you?"

"I have to admit, I kind of am," he smiles just slightly. He glances down at me and I'm surprised at how clear his blue eyes are. He jerks his head at the crowd around us. "I wasn't sure about the masks at first, but now I'm finding it's made for some great conversations."

"I wasn't sure either at first," I tell him honestly. "But I have to agree. It's helped with meeting people and also made for a really memorable birthday."

His eyes narrow and I gasp, surprised I let that slip. How many times did I tell the extras, everyone, not to say anything about birthdays? And here I went and ruined it all. Maybe not, maybe he doesn't know—

"Princess," he whispers as he pulls me closer, so close I can feel the heat of his breath against my cheek. He doesn't say my title as a question, more of a confirmation. Clearly he did his homework.

"Please don't tell anyone," I whisper frantically, panic seizing me.

"Hey, relax," he glances down at me, concern hardening his mouth. His hand on my back made soothing circles, drawing me even closer to him. "I won't tell anyone, I promise. You're safe with me, Charlotte."

I gasp slightly at his use of my name, my eyes shooting back up into his and I'm relieved to see sincerity there. We continue to dance like that, almost too close, and when the song ends he seems almost hesitant to let me go.

"Thank you," I manage to croak but I can't tell if I'm thanking him for the dance or for keeping my secret.

He gives my hand a soft squeeze as he releases me, smiling, and it's a softer smile than before. "Until the next time."

As I walk off the floor I can't contain my smile. I might have just made my first real connection of this Selection.

"Ladies and gentlemen! Gather your last partners for the night! It is just a few minutes to midnight and the last dance before the unmaking!" the conductor calls out over the crowd and a kind of frenzy settles over the crowd.

I sigh, sad the night is almost over. I definitely didn't get to dance with every Selected, but I got to dance with more than a few very eager young men, Bard and even my brother at one point, though he was definitely more interested in one of the extras we had hired for the night. I glance around trying to choose who to dance the last dance with when my eyes snag on him.

Levi Hernandez.

It's not hard to tell who he is among the crowd. He's not the tallest of the Selected but something about the way he holds himself makes him a head above the rest. Then there are the tattoos, no tie, and the leather jacket. He's been planted on the edge of the dance floor all night, never joining in. It's time to change that.

I smile as I approach him, but he doesn't seem to notice me as the band starts the opening notes of the song. I reach out, resting my hand on his arm and call out above the crowd, "I've seen you here all night! Come on, it's your last chance!"

I pull him onto the dancefloor and I'm almost surprised he lets me pull him along with me. He doesn't put up a fight but once we're in place he looks at me, almost sheepishly, and admits, "I don't know how to dance."

"I'll help you along," I say, smiling more. There's something about someone who can admit their weaknesses.

"Good, because I might step on your feet," he warns me and I can't tell if he's being self deprecating or if he honestly thinks he will be that bad. Good thing I have little feet.

"That's okay," I tell him but I don't think he can hear me, he's focusing so hard on his feet. I duck into his eyeline. "Don't focus on your feet, just focus on the music."

Levi gives me a small nod and the more he focuses on the music the better he gets. Soon, he's taking the lead and keeping up with the other couples surrounding us. I smile proudly at him. "See, now you're getting the hang of it!"

His answering smile is almost as proud as my own.

And then, the song is over. Too fast, too short. The song wasn't long enough. We may not have talked much, but something about being on the floor with Levi, even as he stumbled through most of the dance, was some of the most fun I had all night. Maybe it was how honest he had been with a complete stranger. Maybe it was the look of pride he wore when he finally caught on to the step series of the song. Maybe it was something else entirely.

"Twenty! Nineteen! Eighteen!" the conductor calls out over the crowd, leading the count down into the new year, and to the unmasking.

Levi and I pull apart, but he hangs onto my hand for a beat longer than I expect and something about that makes me want to stay even more. The countdown reaches single digits and I turn away, reaching up into my hair to pull my mask loose, but it doesn't come. I huff in annoyance as cheers erupt around me. I've missed it. The unmasking moment, all because I can't get this stupid ribbon out of these bobby pins.

A foreign touch startles me and I recognize the warmth at my back as the one I just danced with, Levi. With a quick maneuver he's untangled my mask ribbon and I turn to him, my mask falling directly into his hands.

He's still looking at it when I take in his face and a flutter dances through my stomach again. He's so much more beautiful than in his photos. I don't usually call men beautiful, but he is. There's really no other way to describe him.

When Levi's eyes finally meet mine a series of emotions rush through them. Confusion and then recognition colors his features and as he looks at me, really looks at me I can't help the blush that colors my cheeks.

"Hi," I whisper as I smile dumbly at him. He opens his mouth to say something when I'm suddenly bombarded with a group of people, some Selected, some staff, all wanting to wish me a happy birthday. I glance over their shoulders back to Levi, looking for his face in the crowd, but he's already gone. I'm surprised by the hint of disappointment that hits me at his disappearance. Another time, then.

"Princess?" a hesitant voice catches me, just as I'm leaving the ballroom. It's nearly three in the morning and I can't help but wonder how long this interruption will take. That's ungenerous of me, I know. I'm sure it's just someone trying to wish me a happy birthday one last time.

I paste on a smile as I turn to the young man who has stopped me, raising my brow at him, and insist, "Charlotte, please."

"Well, actually, your highness, we wanted to ask for a favor," he sounds nervous and this is the first time I notice that a young woman is standing next to him, looking almost as nervous as he sounds. She's a little taller than me, with unnatural highlights but a kind face. I recognize her as one of the extras we hired for tonight.

"A favor?" I ask, not sure where this could be going.

"Yes," he nods and turns to look at the girl by his side. When he looks back at me I can see he has a new found confidence, even as she almost shakes in panic. "You see, your highness, Savannah and I... well, miss, we—"

"We're in love," Savannah, I assume, bursts as he stumbles over his words. They both look at me, surprised at her outburst. I wait, hoping someone will fill in the blanks.

"Um, yes, your highness, as she said," the man says, clearing his throat. He holds out his hand. "I'm sorry, I'm Kylan from Dakota."

"Good to meet you," I say, shaking his hand and then holding mine out to Savannah. "And you too, Savannah."

"You too, your highness," she says, much softer now.

"Charlotte, please," I say softly. I look back to Kylan. "Now I'm sorry, it's very late, can you please explain your favor?"

"Oh, right!" he says, a bit embarrassed. He chuckles and reaches down, taking Savannah's hand in his own. "You see, Savannah and I grew up next door to each other. I knew from the moment I first saw her, she was the one for me. But then, when we were in eighth grade, her family had to move and we lost touch as kids do. But I never forgot her. I thought about her nearly everyday, but I just assumed she had forgotten me."

"I didn't, I never could," Savannah says, her voice filled with emotion. She looks at me, "My grandfather had been ill and my family moved to help him with the family business and to take care of him. We moved across the country and I just— I never thought I would see Kylan again. I always wanted to be an actress and I moved out here and when I got the job for tonight I never thought—"

"Neither of us could believe it when we saw each other again. We've spent the whole night speaking Your High— Charlotte," he corrects himself, blushing. "And well, we would like to ask for your permission to excuse me from the Selection. I'm so sorry, Miss, I never thought— but then I saw her and I know I can't live another day without Savannah in my life and I—"

I cut him off, stepping forward and taking his hand in mine. I stand on tiptoes to kiss his cheek gently and whisper, "It is my greatest honor to excuse you from the Selection, Kylan Willoughby."

Tears are in his eyes as I step back and turn to Savannah. "I wish you two all the best. Just promise me you'll be happy?"

Savannah is openly crying as she nods and hugs me tightly. I smile, laughing lightly. When she finally releases me, she thanks me before taking Kylan's hand once more. I watch a bit sadly as the young couple walk out of the front door.

I can only wish for love like that.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

95 21 9
When Aurora Wilder is selected to compete in Prince Thomas's Selection, the competition to win his heart (and the crown), it's fitting. She's despera...
143 0 23
Fae Dick thought when the Selection of Prince Asher was announced that she should enter. She knew her family wouldn't be too thrilled at the prospect...
379K 7K 67
The beloved prince of Illéa, Maxon Schreave, has finally picked America Singer to be his wife, and the future queen of their country. Though everythi...
16K 312 36
Royals of Illea will follow Kaden and Josie's story after their wedding. Kaden gets offered a position with the Government of Illea that he never dre...