Beauty and the Beast

By ChaserLove

The Beauty and the Beast. Not that one can tell which one of them is which. The half-lion form surely surpri... More

1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11.
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21.
22
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Let's Chat A Moment Reader to Author
32
33
34
35
36
37.
38.
39.
40.

23

242 15 0
By ChaserLove

Shesha told Narada and Narada had gone around all the place telling everyone that Mahalakshmi agreed to marry Sri Narasimha.

The Saptarishis, their wives, and great Rishis had arrived for that. All of them travelled from Garudadri to the hills where the Chenchus lived.

Seeing so many people at once, Sagara and the tribe was a bit worried. He wanted to ask Chenchita about her sudden appearance but she seemed a little too lost in her thoughts.

"Saami?" Sagara welcomed them all. The tribal chieftain has seen gods he had only heard of. The four-headed Brahmaa who created this material universe. The great three eyed Shiva. The great sages whose affluence he had only heard in stories.

"Dorra, we have come here for a special reason." Narada explained.

He moved back and let the someone take over. Everyone was looking at each other. The sages weren't aware of how to deal with this matter. The people opposite were tribals. Their rules and ethics weren't much known to them.

Uma sighed and walked up ahead. "You are the cheiftain of the Chenchus.  This," she looked at her brother, "is my brother. Sri Vishnu. In this entire creation, there is no one who can surpass him. Not in power, not is compassion, not in beauty, not in dharma nishtha, not in knowledge, not even in offering blessing. My brother is the greatest of the great. His very name, Vishnu, means someone who is spread all over the vishwam. There is no asura in Patala who doesn't shake in fear at the mention of his name. There is no dharma which doesn't find its refuge in my brother. Chaturmukha Brahmaa who created this prakriti was born from his nabhi." She turned back to Sagara, "I, his beloved sister Ambika, would like to ask on his behalf for your only daughter's hand in marriage. There cannot be a groom in this entire world who can match up to my brother."

"Chenchita?" Tirangini was quite surprised. Her wild child? The girl who would refuse the suitors right on their faces? Or scare them away?

"Yes." Narasimha answered.

"Are you sure you haven't mistaken her for someone else?" She wondered.

"No. We are very sure. She is our Amma." Garuda assured.

"Saami, we are not sure that Chenchita is even desiring to marry. We have tried to find her many matches and she's answered negatively to all of them."

"Dorra, how about you ask your daughter herself?" Uma suggested confidently.

She stood up and walked over towards the door to whose side Chenchita was hiding. She was about to start running when she heard it but Ambika caught her hand. "Daa. Nee gurinche ga idi. It is alright." She pulled Chenchita into the room, "yes, so, cheliya, my brother wishes to marry you. Would you marry him?"

Narasimha waited for the answer while looking at her parents. But when it didn't come, he turned to look at her, "you chatter away so much and now when you're supposed to say something, you've decided to pull silence?" He asked laughing.

Chenchita simply walked over to her father, "yes" she just muttered, shyly.

"Didn't hear it. What?"

"I said yes."

"Are you sure? You've suddenly made your mind?" Tirangini asked.

"Yes. Have thought about about, had any assurance I wanted and then decided." She answered to her mother.

"Saami, among us, the groom generally offers the bride price. We aren't sure of what is the rituals with devas."

Narasimha smiled, "By the hills, a lot of devotee come and offer donations. Out of them you can always have the first part." He answered.

The cheiftain and his wife bowed their hand before the Narasimha, "you are Devadeva, saami. As you wish. It is our great fortune that you wish to marry our daughter."

Everyone who came with Narasimha exclaimed in happiness. "Today is very great day. We will perform nischithartham today. As such any time which has the fortune to see the kalyana of Lakshmi Narayana is pious but we assume Phalguna shukla paksha suddha trayodashi vishnu muhurta is the perfect timing." The Saptarishis suggested.

"As you say, saami." The couple agreed.

Narasimha just nodded a yes.

The Saptarishis began to prepare for the function. Reciting mantras with Chenchita sitting by her parents. In a large tray some flowers and a coconut was offered.

"On the groom's side, who is to accept the offering on behalf of the parents?"

"The dearest one who has given me the love just as a mother. Devi Anasuya and Maharishi Atri." Narasimha answered. The two joined their hands in respect.

"To play the parent to someone who has no birth..." Devi Anasuya chuckled, her eyes almost watered.

"What do I offer you in return for the sweet loving lullaby you sang to me in your cradle, Amma?" He answered. She and Maharishi Atri joined their hands in respect.

The couple sat down and received the tray containing rice and the coconut.

"Sriman Sagara, the cheiftain of Chenchus, the son of Vihara, grandson of Amartya, the great grandson of Malla, great great grandson of Kondaveera, great great great grandson of Adiviraya. Him and his wife, Tirangini, have an only child. Chenchita. On Phalguna shukla paksha suddha trayodashi, Vishnu muhurta, the kalyana of Sri Chenchita and Sri Ahobala Narasimha would take place with the agreement of the bride, groom, and their parents. Sri Uma Maheshwara Sri Vani Brahmaa Saptarishi patnau Indraadi devata saakshya phalguna Shukla paksha suddha trayodashi vishnu muhurta kaale kalyana nischayam kuru." The Saptarishis recited the mantras.

Everyone was happy. The Chenchus had begun to all celebrate the ceremony with singing, dancing, and everything.

Although, they were quite polite in the penta, Indra and the devas felt rather odd in the tribal company. They always associated with humans as devas. It was rather unheard of for them to associate with tribals as associates.

Chenchita did notice it and felt slightly worried. The Chenchus has a whole different culture than the devas. Their lives were different. To devas, the Chenchus were mere humans. That too humans with no specific knowledge. Quite the simpleton.

Although she was smiling politely, Narasimha could tell the smile which didn't reach her eyes was forced on her face.

"You seem very uneasy." He asked.

"No. Nothing. It's fine." She assured.

Brahmaa then stood up, inviting attention from everyone. "Today marks 50th day since Sri Narasimha had emerged out of the caves and offered darshana to all the people. The beginning of this event had been with the meeting of Lakshmi and Narasimha on the day after Makara Sankranti. From the first day after Makara Sankranti, there will be a 41 day utsava that will be performed every year here in Ahobilam as Paaruveta Utsava. In this 41 days, the Chenchus will be traveling with Sri Narasimha all through the forests of Nallamala. On Magha Shukla Paksha Panchami, there will be Brahmotsava which will be performed for 11 days." He announced.

"Saami, don't mind me asking this. We're rather ignorant of these matters but what does it mean? I don't understand a single word he's said." Nidhi asked, a little shy.

Narasimha chuckled.

"In every place a deity presides, they perform an utsava in honor of the deity. It marks celebration of that deity emerging there and offering everyone abhaya. Brahmaa once in an year comes down to earth to offer Pooja to that deity in person. When you perform a pooja, there are basic offerings one does. Shodasha pooja which is offering 16 sevas to the deity. Beginning with dhyanam, aavahanam, aasana samarpanam, padyam, argyam, achamanam, abhisheka, vastra samarpanam, yagyopaveeta samarpanam, gandhaadialankarana samarpanam, archana, dhoopam, deepam, naivedya samarpanam, tamboola samarpanam, neerajanam. These 16 sevas are done everyday by everyone. It can be offered by anyone and everyday. In the same way, once in an year, Brahmaa comes down to that kshetra and in person offers these sevas for 11 days morning, afternoon, and evening. Because he arrives there only once in an year, there are various other activities that he performs like discourses to everyone who comes there on Vedas, or the deity there, explaining the story associated with that deity, explaining the vedanta behind that event. Since it is such an important event with Brahmaa himself arriving, the deity is brought out of the  temple premises and taken around the place where everyone comes to see him. Those who never enter the temple too receive darshan if they are present there. The deity is taken on various rathas. They are entertained with songs, dances, and plays. The deity them offers annadana to everyone who has come there to express his happiness. One of the festivals that occur during brahmotsava is kalyana." Narasimha explained.

"Oh. So, everyday pooja is glorified because during those day Brahmaa himself arrives there and does the pooja? Because he cannot perform them everyday in that place personally,  he comes down once in an year and stays for 11 days?" Chenchita asked. "So, basically, he does the pooja as a temple priest which means that it becomes extremely pious for anyone who comes there."

"Yes." He answered.

"Okay but why a 41 day festival before this then?" She asked.

"Oh, this isn't performed at every place. This is specific here. Paru means running and veta means hunting. This Paaruveta is in the honor of the tribe. Veta is usually done by tribals. 41 days because your dearest friend took 41 days to accept a simple proposal."

"Okay, in my defence. I don't know and I didn't think it was so serious."

"Should I remind you that I actually did hunting and running around?"

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

737K 68.9K 52
"𝙇𝙤𝙤𝙠 𝙖𝙩 𝙩𝙝𝙞𝙨 𝙗𝙚𝙜𝙪𝙢. 𝙏𝙝𝙞𝙨 𝙨𝙪𝙡𝙩𝙖𝙣 𝙍𝙖𝙨𝙝𝙞𝙙 𝙬𝙞𝙡𝙡 𝙤𝙣𝙡𝙮 𝙚𝙫𝙚𝙧 𝙠𝙣𝙚𝙚𝙡 𝙞𝙣 𝙛𝙧𝙤𝙣𝙩 𝙤𝙛 𝙮𝙤𝙪,𝙝𝙞𝙨 𝙬𝙞�...
261K 17.4K 151
The Divine woman Draupadi was born as the eternal consort of Panadavas. But we always fail to treasure things which we get easily. Same happened with...
40.1K 3.6K 64
~ Dangerous Life Ahead ~ • Book 2 of LIFE OF PANCHALI TRILOGY • Panchali Rathore, Ex- CEO of Rathore Industries, now the Crown Princess of Hastinapur...
11.7K 594 23
A Prince. A Princess. The Prince falls for the Princess after some mishaps, overcome problems together, and they live happily ever after. Isn't that...