The Invasion

Galing kay Kim_Knights

The coasts have always been peaceful, until the waters revolt against the land. In 2047, long-term marine pol... Higit pa

1 | The First Sign
2 | Foreshadow
3 | The Last of Normalcy
4 | Doomsday
5 | Losses
6 | Grief
7 | Hideout
8 | Scavenge
9 | A Ray of Sunshine
10 | A Daughter's Heart
11 | Into the Storm
12 | Aquatic Creatures
13 | First Exchange
14 | The Past
15 | History
16 | Confidant
17 | A Song of Death
18 | A Familiar Face
19 | Saving
20 | Fear
21 | Deja vu
22 | Morphing
23 | Growing Attraction
24 | A Midnight Talk
25 | A Campfire
26 | In Disguise
27 | Found
28 | Survivors
29 | Hope
30 | Home
31 | Dead or Alive
32 | Trepidation
33 | Mia
34 | The Search
35 | Grudges
36 | Premonition
37 | Left to Die
38 | Finding Strength
40 | Mates
41 | The Ocean of Death
42 | In Captive
43 | World Solutions
44 | Agenda
45 | A Tour
46 | Prison Break
47 | Family
48 | Merfolks vs Humans
Epilogue
Exclusive Chapter: Behind Delia's Birth

39 | Not Alone

1.8K 230 70
Galing kay Kim_Knights

The shock wave of the explosion flings us several feet backwards. Sharp, prickly heat sears across my skin as flames lick at us. All I want to do now is to jump into a pool and cool off, but I can't.

Instinctively, Zarius wraps his big, burly arms around me protectively and cushions my fall. The impact upon slamming the ground only sends a numb jolt through my body. As we tumble across the ground and scrape our skin, the small flames in our clothes die out.

The loud blast leaves a painful ringing in my ears. I blink several times up at the blue sky, now covered by a billowing, black smoke, and find myself momentarily in shock. Vaguely aware of our car blazing away in the distance. Blood pounds in my veins as I try to comprehend what the hell just happened, wondering what kind of maniac would have planted a bomb in our car.

Zarius is pulsing with rage, looking murderous and ready to dive into a fight. He pulls me up to my feet and adrenaline hits me when I realize this isn't a dream.

We need to go. Now.

It takes all the strength in me to drag an angry Zarius away. We are sprinting across the street and past the row of houses. Fortunately, I spot a garage that's partially closed. We run up onto the driveway and slide through the gap under the roller garage door. Dusts and cobwebs cling to every surface. The floor is littered with pests and decaying leaves.

At the back of the room, we find a set of old, rusty shelves and a work table full of old working tools and car parts. My shaking hands search through the clutter of mess and my voice comes out in a panicking whisper.

"Shit, shit, shit. What's going on? And where are the damn keys?"

Why wasn't the owner a neat freak? Didn't he know that finding a pair of lost keys in the house is always the most torturous thing to do, especially when you're racing against time?

And why did our car blow up? We were barely gone for less than an hour. I doubt it's a prank, but why would anyone do that for no reason?

How long has it been since they were stalking us?

Zarius has calmed down, but only a little. He shuts his eyes, listening out for sounds that are unreachable to my own ears. "Footsteps. Rather faint, but they're getting closer. Humans."

I rummage through a couple of tools and a screwdriver rolls away. "How many?"

"Uncountable, but they're trying to surround us. We need to keep moving."

At last, I locate a pair of car keys buried in a pile of dirty rags and snatch them up. "Got it."

Walking over to the vehicle, I pull back the plastic covers to reveal a huge black jeep. I know little about vehicles, but this looks like a freaking beast ready to demolish everything in its path.

Let's just hope it can outrun our chasers.

"Zarius," I call for him. "Can you get the door while I start this monster? You can either push it all the way up or destroy it—your choice."

Nodding, he follows my instructions while I unlock the jeep and pull myself in. Staring at the steering wheel, I rub my hands together eagerly, but I'm growing a little nervous about my newbie's driving skills. If we weren't running right now, I'm certain I would have a lot more fun doing this.

If Mom sees me driving like this without a license, especially in such a badass vehicle, she would flip a table and scream hell in my face.

As I start the engine and fit my seatbelt, Zarius easily shoves up the garage door with a loud bang and joins me in the jeep. I grip the steering wheel, suck in a deep breath and shoot him a tense smile.

"Hang on tight to your seat, Zarius."

He frowns at me. "Be careful–"

Too late. I slam my foot on the pedal and the jeep shoots forward and down the driveway before spinning onto the road. The violent tremors bounce me on my seat as if I'm on a roller coaster ride. My sweaty palms almost make me lose grip on the steering wheel, but something from the outside catches my eyes.

Soldiers. With guns.

And they're shooting at us.

I yelp and clutch at the wheel for my dear life. Bullets penetrate the windows and hit the sides of the jeep. I press harder on the pedal until we're at maximum speed and we take off, leaving behind the soldiers whom I once believed were people with good intentions.

***

After an hour of driving aimlessly in town and trying to shake the military off our trail, we find ourselves at the Old Orchard Beach. Back to the place where I witnessed the first ominous death that led up to the apocalypse.

It is Zarius's idea to be closer to the waters, where he feels the strongest, but not for me. I'm afraid of monsters creeping out of the ocean when the sun goes down. Thankfully, it's afternoon right now.

I park our jeep right by a waterfront restaurant and we got out of our seats, relishing in the wind blowing against our faces as we watch the seas. I'm keeping my weapon and gun close to me, just in case something comes out of nowhere.

Zarius reaches for my face, gently tipping my jaw from side to side as he checks out my wounds. From his increasingly worried expression, I must look pretty bad. I definitely got some burns on my arms and face. My calf muscles are screaming in soreness and fatigue.

There are so many questions running through my mind. "Why are we being chased?" I blurt out before something hits me and I gasp. "Do you think the military knows about you, Zarius?"

His face hardens. "I wouldn't be surprised."

If they've found Dad, they must have already known about the existence of merfolks. Is that why they've targeted us? But how on earth do they know about us when we've never crossed paths?

"I think we should find another place to live soon," he suggests. "Somewhere that's much more protected."

"I agree, but where does a place like this exist?"

There's a fleeting pause between us. "Not here," he says thoughtfully, staring out at the waves washing up ashore. "It's still safe back in the kingdom of Arsythrae. That's where all the remaining survivors are currently at. The magical barrier to keep us safe from the harmful waters, and the protection extends to the small lands above us."

He lifts his hand and offers it to me. "Come with me, Delia. No harm will befall on you if you're within our territory, I promise."

It's a promising idea, but something else worries me. "Wait. What about Maddie and Jace? Mia? Can they come along with us?"

A troubled expression crosses his face. "That...might be a problem."

"Why?"

"Because our people do not welcome humans. Most of us are angry that humans have destroyed many of our homes and lives."

"But I'm human too."

"Half," he corrects me. "You're an exception."

"Right," I say, before crossing my arms. "But no. I'm not ready to leave yet."

His disappointment is apparent. He blows out a frustrated sigh, running a hand through his tousled hair that was trimmed by me. There's an urge to reach out to uncurl those knots, but I force my arms to remain by my sides.

Zarius holds me by shoulders, eyes beseeching mine. "Do not fight with me on this, Delia. Look at yourself now–you're hurt. I only want to keep you alive. Your safety is my priority. Those humans are not."

"But not to me," I retort. "And what about Mom and Dad? We haven't even found them. You know I'm not leaving them behind."

"I know," he sighs. "But I believe in Laiken's strength and his abilities. If he's taken by humans, he will find a way out. He will let no one hurt your mother. Trust him."

His absolute faith in my father makes emotions swell in my throat, and I got a little jealous of Zarius. I wish I'd grown up receiving love from Laiken, to know what he's like as a father.

Zarius's expression softens. He reaches forward to brush his thumb across my left cheek. "I also know what he would wish for," he says quietly. "To have his beloved daughter safe. And I will do that on his behalf. I swear to you I will look for them after I've kept you in a safe place."

Tears prick my eyes. There's an awful ache in my heart and since we're on this topic right now, I figure it's time to clarify our feelings for each other. It's now or never. "Zarius, what am I to you? A friend's daughter?"

He's stupefied by my question. "What?"

Swallowing hard, I take a step back away from him. "I truly appreciate your concern for me, Zarius. You're a very kind merfolk, far kinder than most humans. But you don't have to take responsibility for a nobody like me. If you insist on us leaving, you'll have to go alone. I will learn how to fend for myself. I've got to stay with my family and friends."

With every word I say, he appears more hurt. "Delia."

"Zarius, I'm cool with this. You don't have to feel bad for leaving me behind. Even your mate... You still have to look for her, don't you?"

The mention of his mate has him going stiff, and he stares at me in disbelief. "You're wrong."

"What?"

"I—" A frustrated groan leaves his throat and looks away, running a hand across the back of his neck. "This isn't the way I wanted to tell you."

Now I'm confused. "Tell me what?"

Clearly, there's something I'm missing out on. From the way he's staring at me right now, just waiting for me to link his words together, the deeper my suspicion grows.

It can't be what I'm thinking of, can it?

Zarius dips his head so that his face is inches away from mine, close enough to notice how long and thick his eyelashes are. His eyes seek mine earnestly, hoping that I would understand him. "Listen to me," he tells me gently. "You're not just a half-human to me or the daughter of a family friend, Delia. You're a very important person to me."

"And this?" His hand takes mine and holds it to his chest. "Can you feel it? Can you feel how fast my heart is beating? You said that you've been experiencing strange feelings in your chest. I do, too. Just like you. It has happened ever since that night we swam together."

"It's you, Delia," he says quietly. "You're my mate."

A/N: 🫣🤭 *GASPS*

Comment an emoticon that expresses how you felt for this chapter!

Ipagpatuloy ang Pagbabasa

Magugustuhan mo rin

30.8K 3.1K 147
[FULL KELS SERIES] When Ande wakes up on the bottom of the ocean with a fish's tail, she's not sure what she did wrong. Getting sacrificed by her isl...
3.3M 23.7K 9
In the future, Earth is attacked by an alien race called the Leviathan. Years after the invasion, Iris is still struggling to survive among her peop...
2.7K 199 34
**DISCONTINUED** Rain in the UK is common, an everyday thing. So, when it rains one afternoon, no one is shocked or surprised. But when that rain bur...
176K 7.4K 33
Leoni, who's been used as a science experiment for Weyland-Yutani Industries, escapes the facility she's being held at when an extraterrestrial attac...