Sailing With Destiny

By Bookworm_Tina

"Do you have any idea how damn frustrating you are?" He trapped me between him and the wall. Stubbornly, I l... More

Preface
Paris
Pont des Arts
Monte Carlo
Sumptuous Repast
BlackJack
St Tropez
Friend or Foe
Provoke
Morning Coffee
Portofino
Kayak
Kiss it Better
Tuscany
Off-route: London
Brotherly Things
The Marino's
Frustration
Corsica
Cherry
Ibiza
A Night in Ibiza
Costa Blanca
Cupcakes
Cumpleaños
Fiesta
Old Wounds
Homebound
Vacation Over
New York
Bubbles and Beer
Petty
Class Day
Celebrate
Priorities
A Magical Day
I Hate My Birthday
Intern
Millie Bee
Summit
That Escalated
Ego
Liquid Courage
Predicament
Corporate Sexy
Dinner at Dad's 2.0
Anti-Mila
Voice of Reason
Fragile
Talk To Me
A Little Better
Not What You Need
Revelation And Secrets
Forgive Me?
Space
The Night Begins
Can The Night End Already
I don't Know You Anymore
He's Still My Friend
I Got You, Always
Wedding Date
The Calm
Before
The Storm
I Promise
I Hate Halloween
Best Friend or Girlfriend?
Decisions, Decisions
I Can't Live Without You
I Will Survive
Nostalgic
Holiday Surprises
I Trusted You
I Trusted You Too
A Mental Maze
Always
Mark My Words
Call It Destiny

Friends

655 43 141
By Bookworm_Tina

Mitchell's POV

I hated the look of disappointment on Mila's face. Even though I knew she put on a front, I saw through her façade. She had the purest heart and I respected her for letting me accompany Kelsey to London but also felt like shit for letting her down. 

I intended to stay in London for a maximum of two days and return to my girl and make it up to her. I would've never left if Kelsey had someone else at her side. She was there for me when I went through a rough patch in school so the least, I could've done is support her at a very hard time. 

I had no idea how long we were in the airplane but seconds felt like hours. Before we took off, I dropped a text to inform Mila that I was about to leave. I supposed she was busy because right up until the moment I had to switch my phone to airplane mode, she hadn't seen the text. 

My thoughts came to an abrupt halt when Kelsey's glass toppled on the little table beside her seat. I glanced at her cabin and with shaky hands, she lifted the glass and searched for a napkin to clean the whiskey that spilled. 

I undid my seatbelt, got up, and made my way to her. I took the glass from her and placed it on the table. "Leave it, someone will clean this up."

"I'm such a clutz, I don't know how it spilled and now I don't have a bloody drink," she ranted in one breath. 

I signaled for a stewardess to come over. I sat on the little spot in front of the television and leaned forward so I was close enough to her. "It's okay, we'll get you another drink."

Kelsey ran a shaky hand through her hair. "Should I even be drinking? I don't want to turn up knackered and unable to construct a sentence properly." She took in a breath. "I'm representing Dad and I need to be in my best form. I can't let his name got to shame."

"Kels, calm down. You could never shame him. I might not have known him but I am almost certain that he was very proud of you."

A stewardess came over, quickly cleaned up the mess and I asked for another drink. While we waited, I placed my hand over Kelsey's. "You don't have to put up a brave front, no one expects you to. Cry, yell, scream, do whatever helps ease the pain. No one's going to judge you and if they do, I'll handle them."

Kelsey's eyes pooled with tears and she choked on a laugh. She placed her other hand over mine. "Thank you for being here."

I tried to help keep Kelsey's mind clear throughout the flight and made sure she didn't get completely wasted. I felt terrible to see her so broken, the Kelsey I knew always wore a smile and was a joy to be around. I couldn't have imagined the pain she went through. 

The first thing I did when we landed was checked my phone and was disappointed that Mila still hadn't responded or read my text. It was so unlike her. No matter how busy she was, she always kept in contact when I was away. 

Should I call and make sure everything is alright? No, I'll first settle in at the hotel and see from there. 

I asked Kelsey if she wanted me to accompany her back home for a while but she said all she wanted to do was go to bed. It was after four AM in London and both of us needed to rest before the funeral the next day. 

While Kelsey offered I stayed at her home, I refused because it didn't sit well with me and I knew Mila wouldn't have liked it either. So, I booked a suite at a hotel my family owned that wasn't too far from Kelsey's home. 

As soon as I got to my suite, I took a shower and was ready to call it a night. I checked my phone and grew a little concerned that I still hadn't heard from Mila. It was around midnight in New York and she must've been home by now. 

My thumb danced over her name on my phone and I contemplated if I should've called or not. "Fuck it." I pressed call and brought the phone to my ears. 

After many rings, I was about to hang up, assuming she was asleep but Mila picked up. "Mitch."

My brows furrowed at her tone. I might've heard wrong but Mila sounded upset. "Baby, what's wrong?" 

She sniffed. "I'm sorry I haven't responded to your text as yet. Have you arrived safely?"

"Yeah, don't worry about me. I'm fine. Are you alright? You sound upset."

"Joder," she cursed under her breath. "Where do I even begin?"

"Tell me everything."

"We were at the wedding and everything was fine. Leo and I were dancing and all of a sudden, he felt sick. He couldn't breathe or stand properly. I tried to help him but he passed out within seconds."

I took a moment to decipher her words. I had no idea Leo was at the wedding too but that was the least of my concerns. Mila sounded as if she was on the verge of hysteria. 

"I don't know what happened, Mitch. One minute he was fine and the next he was unconscious. I thought I lost him." Mila's voice broke. "I was so scared and it's all my fault. I shouldn't have tagged him along with me to the wedding and I sure as hell shouldn't have insisted he dance with me."

"Baby, breathe," I tried to console her. "Take in a deep breath and calm down."

"I can't be calm!" She snapped. "Leo is in the hospital right because of me and my stubbornness!"

"Mila," I seriously spoke. "Is he alright? Have you spoken to his doctor?"

"He's stable. The doctor said his blood pressure dipped because he exhausted himself today. He's on an IV and they're keeping him here overnight."

"Did the doctor mention anything to worry about?"

Mila took in a breath. "No, he said Leo will be fine by the morning but he should also take it easy and not exert himself."

"So, he's going to be fine. Stop putting yourself through all that stress. It's going to be okay," I calmly consoled her. 

"It's still my fault he's here," Mila spoke softly. "I shouldn't have pushed so much. If I'd listened to him, he'd be back home sound asleep."

"Mila..."

"Don't make excuses for me, please."

"I'm not but I don't think it's your fault," I calmly explained. "Leo's going to have good days and bad days. He doesn't only need to be healthy physically but mentally too. If you bubble wrap and keep him indoors all the time, he's bound to get depressed. If that happens, he'll lose the will to fight this thing."

"Taking him out was good for him and I'm sure he knows his body best. The only reason he agreed to accompany you was that he felt he could."

"But -"

"But nothing," I cut her off. "You know I'm right so stop blaming yourself. When he wakes up, he'll tell you the same thing."

"I guess," Mila responded with a small voice. "I already miss you."

I missed her more than ever and felt shit for not being able to be with her. "Me too, Baby," I whispered. "I'll be back sooner than you think. For now, go home and get some rest."

"I'm staying here with Leo."

I was taken aback by her response and grew irritated. "Mila, I don't think that's a good idea."

"I'm not leaving him here alone."

Now I wanted to be there even more so I could drag her stubborn ass home. "That's not going to help anyone. Leo's in good hands. You're only going to strain yourself if you stay the night."

"I'll be fine."

I ground my teeth together and took in a calming breath. "Mila."

"Don't fight me on this Mitch. I've made my mind."

I huffed. "Leo won't wake up until tomorrow morning, I don't see why you need to spend the night there."

"Why did you spend the night when I had surgery?"

I couldn't believe she compared the two situations. Of course, I'd stay at her side because I damn well loved her. I understood Leo was her friend and she cared for him but there was no comparison. 

"Are you kidding me right now?"

"I don't see a difference. I know we share a different relationship than Leo and I but just because I don't love Leo the same way I love you, doesn't mean I need to be less compassionate."

"Are you seriously going to fight me on this?"

"You're the one who's starting a fight. I accept that you're in London for your friend so please let me do the same for my best friend."

I lost my patience by the second. I didn't see her logic but also couldn't argue with her points. So, I needed to convince her to go back home instead. 

"Is Leo's family there or are you all alone?"

"Wang and Dante just left. Lorenzo and Leo's parents are still here but they'll leave soon."

"If his family is going home, I don't see the need for you to stay the night. You'll only exhaust yourself. Go home, get some sleep and you can go back first thing tomorrow morning."

"I don't want to leave him alone. Not when I..."

"Mila, listen to me," I calmly spoke. "Stop blaming yourself, it isn't your fault. If you're exhausted and strained, who's going to be there for Leo? So far, you've been responsible for his meals and shakes. I doubt Leo will want to wake up to awful hospital food tomorrow morning. You can bring him a proper breakfast first thing but for that, you need to go home."

"But..."

"You need your energy too, Baby," I reasoned. "Please go home and rest."

Mila took a long moment until I heard her softly breathe. "Okay, I guess you're right."

I let out a huge breath of relief. "Good girl. Call me when you're home, alright."

"Mmm-mm. I love you."

"Love you too."

I tossed my phone aside and felt as if I'd just gotten back from battle. I was able to convince Mila this time but as each day went by, she grew more stubborn. She overworked herself and I barely saw her on evenings because she was with Leo. I didn't stop her because I understood but also couldn't help how... jealous and neglected I felt. 

Thankfully, she listened to me this time. I just hoped that she would be able to see more reason from here onwards or so help me, I was in for a hell of a ride. I had a feeling I was going to need a lot of patience. 

***

It was human nature to take things and people for granted. We always believed that someone dear would always be there and most of the time put off spending time with loved ones. Seeing Kelsey's grief, sitting at her side during her father's funeral, and listening to her speak about him during his memorial touched something in me. 

I loved my parents more than words described and growing up, I was very attached to them. However, once I went away to college and grew from teenager to adult, I spent less and less time with them. Even more so now that I stayed in New York more than LA. 

I knew life was short but attending Kelsey's dad's funeral made me realize just how fragile it was too. I suddenly missed my parents and wanted to see them soon. I needed to make more time for my family because who knew...

I shook away my train of thoughts and mentally cursed myself for overthinking. Mila went through this with her mom and seeing how distraught Kelsey was, made me wish I was there for Mila. I couldn't imagine how she must've felt. I saw the after-effects and Mila lost a part of herself after her mother's death. I wanted Leo to pull through even more now because I knew Mila would never survive losing him. 

"Got a smoke?" Kelsey extended her palm. 

The funeral was a small affair just the way Kelsey wanted but because her father was well known in the business world, she was obligated to host a big memorial service. In my opinion, the service seemed more like an event for people to socialize, drink and eat. 

Kelsey must've thought the same because she hated every second at the memorial. It was almost cruel that she had to even speak to anyone let alone try and smile while people greeted her. She needed a break so we found ourselves outside in the garden of the hall the memorial was held in.

"I quit," I honestly said. "And I thought you did too."

"I never smoked as much as you. It was for the days I felt under the weather." Her eyes pooled with tears. "And today feels like one of those days."

I placed an arm around her and pulled her to my side. "I doubt there are enough cigarettes in the world to help right now."

"Then what do I do?" She softly sobbed. "How do I stop feeling this way? There's like this hollow pit in my chest and it aches, Mitch, so much."

"You let it ache and hurt. You cry and scream. Allow yourself to feel everything, it's the first step to healing."

Kelsey pulled back and looked at me through teary eyes. "That is the worst yet most realistic advice I've heard all day."

"Pretending everything is okay by distracting yourself will just make it worse. It's a temporary solution to a permanent problem."

"Permanent? Are you saying I'm always going to feel this way?"

"Like this? No. It will get easier. I'm not saying you're going to fully get over losing him but you'll slowly grow used to the idea of it." 

"I don't know if I ever can," Kelsey cried. "With grief, I have so much guilt. I should've been at his side during his last days. He even asked for me but I was too preoccupied with work and everything else to care."

"Hey, don't do that." I placed my free hand over hers that sat on her lap. "What happened wasn't your fault. You were given the huge responsibility of taking over from him at a tender age. You were only doing your job. You didn't know this was going to happen."

"Still, I should've said goodbye. Just once." 

"Maybe you weren't meant to. Maybe he didn't want to hear those words from you. I like to believe everything happens for a reason," I honestly said. "You might not have lived with the trauma of watching him slip away in front of your eyes or finding him... well you know what I mean."

Kelsey couldn't stop crying but she agreed with what I said. "Thank you so much for being here." She wrapped her hands around my neck and hugged me. 

I hugged her back for as long as she needed. I missed Mila and our lack of contact over the two days irked me but I also didn't regret being here for Kelsey. 

Kelsey pulled her head back and looked at me. I knew she was hurting but she was a little too close for comfort and the way she stared at me didn't help. I wanted to put some distance between us but couldn't think of a way to do so without offending her and coming off as presumptuous. 

"I don't know what I would've done if I had to go through this alone." Kelsey stared into my eyes for a long moment before she lowered them to my mouth. 

Fuck! She's upset, that's all but I need to push her away without hurting her feelings. How do I do that? Shit, I got myself in a predicament. 

"I'm just doing what, um," I paused and moved my head back an inch while she moved her face closer. "Any friend would do," I blurted in one breath. 

"Ms. Campbell," A gentleman's voice interrupted us. Kelsey blinked twice and quickly pulled away while I let out a breath of relief. 

The man whom I recognized as Kelsey's manager looked awkwardly between us before he cleared his throat. "Pardon me for interrupting but you have a guest who wishes to speak to you."

"No, you aren't interrupting." I got to my feet and was about to button my jacket when I made eye contact with the guest who waited to speak to Kelsey.

Fuck.

Kelsey stood and tears welled in her eyes again before she took quick steps toward the tall gentleman. "Uncle Damien."

Damien stared directly at me and his face might've been nonchalant but I didn't miss his rigid posture and the look of accusation in his eyes. With a clenched jaw, he glared at me.

I rubbed my temples and hoped to whatever was out there to get me that he didn't witness Kelsey sitting so closely. Although with my luck recently, I bet he did and was ready to castrate me and toss my parts in the ocean for the sharks to feed on. 

Damien looked away and hugged Kelsey in a fatherly way while I stood in my spot and stared at them. I did nothing wrong so I refused to deter my gaze and act guilty. I buttoned my jacket and shoved one hand in my pocket while I waited for them to break apart so I could politely greet Damien and leave. 

If he wasn't Mila's father, I wouldn't have bothered greeting him. 

"Mr. Brinson." I extended my hand. "I trust you're well."

Damien stared at my hand just as he did the last time and kept his hand at his side. He half nodded. "Clarke."

Dick. 

I didn't want to be insulted any further so I kept my cool, shoved both hands in my pockets, and walked back inside. Mila mentioned that Damien went back to despising me after her surgery. He said I was at fault that Mila might've never become a mother. As if I didn't feel guilty enough, he seemed to forget that what she went through affected me too. 

I got myself a stiff drink and while I stood in an isolated corner of the vast room, I checked my phone to see if Mila replied to my last text. I cursed under my breath and took a large gulp of the whiskey when I saw she hadn't even opened it. 

"Mr. Clarke," Damien's voice disturbed my peace when I was on my second drink. "I must say I'm surprised to see you here."

"Kelsey is an old friend. I'm surprised you'd assume I wouldn't be here," I replied dryly. "Although, I never expected to see you here."

"The Campbell's and I go back a long way. I had to pay my respects." Damien sipped on the whiskey in his glass. "Does Mila know you're here?"

"Of course." I couldn't believe he asked such a question. "We're not in the habit of keeping secrets."

"Then I suppose she'll be hearing about the little moment I walked in between you and Kelsey."

I grew agitated at his insinuation. I knew it looked bad but Damien should've known by now that I'd never cheat on Mila. 

"Kelsey just lost her father. I was comforting her as a good friend does. It takes a very narrow mind to assume anything more from our interaction."

Damien was not pleased by my words. He pursed his lips and clenched his jaw. "You -"

"Look, Mr. Brinson," I cut him off. "I know you don't like me and that's okay, I don't need you to. But you of all people should know the extents I'd go to make sure Mila is happy and always safe. It's insulting that despite everything that's happened in the past, you'd assume I'd do something as deranged as cheat on her."

"I don't know you, Clarke. I only know a picture that my daughter paints of you." Damien glowered. "Mila and her happiness are my top priority and I'd be damned if I allow anyone to hurt her."

"The same applies to me." I stared straight at him, unaffected by his so-called warning. "Mila is well aware that I'm here but can you say the same for yourself? Mila doesn't have an issue with my friendship with Kelsey but as far as I remember, she didn't take too well with your interaction the last time."

Damien's arrogant demeanor came down a notch and his reaction told me Mila had no idea her father was here.  

"I don't find the need to answer your questions, kid," Damien coldly said. 

"No need to and don't worry, I probably won't mention it to her either. She has enough of her on her plate to deal with as it is."

"Which is precisely why I'm surprised to see you here. With Leo's diagnosis, Mila is going through a lot. I thought you'd be at her side, helping her get through it. I tried but she doesn't open up to me as well as she does with you."

After everything I just said to him, it pissed me the fuck off that Damien still questioned Mila's place in my life. I was close to snapping but considered that he was my parent's age and Mila's father so I kept my cool. 

"She knows she has me," I bluntly said. "But she's also not a child, she's a strong woman who's incredibly good at handling herself. She's not co-dependent on me or anyone but when needed, she knows who to turn to."

Damien tilted his head to the side. "Are you taunting me?"

"No, Sir, I'm not," I said honestly. "It doesn't bother me but I'd appreciate it if you stopped taunting me whenever we meet. I understand your reservations about me and my family but it's not fair to Mila to be continuously placed in the middle of her father and the man she loves."

"I've made mistakes in the past and own up to them. I don't claim to be perfect and occasionally mess up but I'm human and still learning. You call me kid yet expect me to have the maturity of someone your age. You claim not to know me but continuously judge and doubt my intentions with Mila."

Damien opened his mouth to reply but I didn't allow him. I had just enough whiskey in my system and aggravation to get out what I've always wanted to tell him. 

"I don't know much about your history with my parents but it would be nice if you stopped affiliating me to a teenage version of my father you once knew," I stated. "I am not Mason Clarke, I'm an entirely different being with a different mind, morale, and upbringing."

"Whatever mistakes my parents committed in the past or whatever happened between you and them have nothing to do with Mila and me. So, I speak on behalf of both of us when I request you to stop living in the past and trust your daughter's choices." I downed my whiskey and left my glass on a nearby table. "She hasn't made many bad ones thus far. Give her more credit. When you truly get to know her, you'll see what an incredible woman she is."

With a polite nod, I walked away leaving Damien speechless. I felt a little smug and lighter. I hoped my message went across loud and clear and that he'd stop criticizing me every chance he got. 

I felt bad for leaving Kelsey alone but I needed to get back home. Kelsey was to stay back in London for a few more days but I booked the first flight out the day after the funeral. I briefly spoke to Mila the night before and she didn't mention anything about her father being in London either so I assumed she didn't know. I figured I'd mention it when I got back but with everything that was going on, I doubted she'd care a lot. 

Our conversation last exactly four and half minutes before she ran off. She said she worked extra hours at the hospital with her team because they offered to fill in hours for her friend who didn't get time off for a religious festival. I admired her good heart but I missed her so fucking much. It felt like forever since I had her to myself and that's why I urgently left London. 

I'll kidnap her for a night if I have to. 

I sat in the business lounge at the airport and sipped on a drink while I waited for my flight. I didn't get a chance to tell Mila I was flying out so I tried calling her but her phone went straight to voicemail. 

"Hey, it's me. You're awful at answering your phone, do you know that? But I guess you're still asleep or working the graveyard shift again. Anyway, I'm calling to let you know that I'll be home by evening and hope to see you as soon as I get back. I'll talk to you later. Love you."

I was so anxious to get back that I arrived at the airport a lot sooner and after I checked in, I had nothing much to do. I was about to take another sip of my drink but an acclaimed business magazine cover caught my eye. 

I leaned forward and reached for the magazine that sat on the coffee table in front of me. 

'Celebrating ninety years of the Brinson Empire. I'm nothing without my family, says business mogul Damien Brinson.'

There was a portrait of Damien on the front page with his arms crossed and that stern, cold look on his face I was used to. "I can't escape you, can I?" 

I vaguely recalled Mila mentioning that there was an article being written about her father. I was curious and had nothing better to do so I opened the magazine to read the article. 

They covered four pages on Damien and a smile crept on my face when I saw a picture of Mila at his side. She looked as beautiful as ever and I found myself running my fingertips over her picture.

The first page talked a lot about Damien's life as a young man who dropped out of school to take over the family business after his father died. I couldn't deny that his workforce was admirable and he was undeniably an intelligent man. 

I turned the page and the first picture that stood out was a family portrait. Everything was fine until I noticed Leo who stood next to Mila. I frowned and wondered when Leo officially joined the Brinson family but what irked me was that he and Mila were staring at each other instead of the camera.

I skimmed through the article until I found Mila's name. 

'Dr. Mila Brinson who is Damien's pride and joy is not only an intelligent, beautiful woman with an admirable career and a growing philanthropist but is also keen on extending the great Brinson name. She claims to have a partner who supports and helps her grow as a person. The mysterious, young man who goes by Leo caught Mila's attention as soon as he entered the room. It's true when they say love numbs all senses because once Mila's eyes lit up seeing her handsome partner, she was unable to answer more questions and we weren't able to find out more about her aspirations. However, we look forward to writing an article on her achievements one day.'

"Partner..." I muttered and read over the article numerous times. "Leo... Love..." 

Jealousy and anger grew in the pit of my stomach. I looked at the picture of the pair again and they looked very much like a couple in love. I wondered why Mila never told me that Leo was with her on that day too. More so, why the fuck didn't she correct the journalist?

I shut the magazine and tossed it back on the table before I gulped my drink in one go. I ground my teeth together and my hands curled tightly around the glass. I understood what Mila was going through but this was too much. The entire business world and whoever else read that article would think Mila Brinson was in love with Leo. 

I didn't care what people thought but I was getting known in the business world too and many people knew Mila and I were together. If my parents or people I worked closely with saw this, I'd look like a fucking joke! 

I had the urge to toss the glass across the room but took in a deep breath and calmed myself. I needed to see her and clarify this matter. For all I knew, the fucking journalist twisted Mila's words. 

I headed to Mila's place after landing at JFK in the evening. Mila still hadn't checked her texts or returned my call. I was agitated and made a note to ask her how she was a doctor when she barely even checked her phone. The doubt that she purposely ignored me crossed my mind but I pushed it away. I didn't want to be insecure and doubt her. 

Her apartment was dark when I entered. I turned on a light and scanned the room. "Mila?"

I got no response so decided to search the place but she was nowhere to be found. My temper slowly slipped away but I calmed down and decided to call. I heard the dialing tone as well as her ringtone echo from the kitchen. 

I cursed under my breath, cut the call, and picked up her phone that sat on the island counter. There were many notifications on the screen, including my missed calls and messages. 

"Where are you?" 

I wondered if she was at Leo's and since I didn't have his number, I opted to use her phone to call him. I typed in her passcode and the first page that opened was the photos app. I supposed she was going through them and left without locking the phone. 

The first picture was of Mila dressed in the same outfit she wore for her friend's wedding and seeing her face on screen already calmed me down a smidge. I swiped through more and just like that, annoyance surfaced again. 

There must've been tens of pictures of her and Leo and the odd picture with Jimmy and his boyfriend. My fingers instinctively curled around the device while my mind played back the words from the article. 

I needed answers and to see her or I was going to lose my mind. Not to my surprise, Leo was her last dialed number, I clicked on it and anxiously waited for him to answer. 

"Mila?" Leo drawled. "How are you calling me while you're fast asleep right in front of me?"

That was it to lose whatever little calamity I had. I cut the call. threw the phone back on the counter and left. I was done being tossed aside and being treated like a stranger.

A/N Does anyone feel Mila is neglecting Mitch? I felt bad for him in this chapter.

I'm sorry for such a late update. Life has been so busy lately that I only manage to squeeze in writing late at night.

I can't believe the end is approaching so soon. Let me know your thoughts on this  one.

Till then,
Tina

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

2.8M 86.7K 54
[COMPLETE] They say weddings are eventful, to say the least. Anything could happen. What I didn't expect however, was him. My mistake. It's been...
44.1K 1.4K 41
C O M P L E T E D "Date me," he spins the whiskey around in the glass and fixes me with a smirk. I roll my eyes the moment the words roll off his ton...
5.7K 103 43
Evanly's desires of being loved, feeling affection, satisfaction and sex were casted aside as she was stuck in a loveless marriage, but light shined...
6K 97 26
Kendall has always lived a quiet life in a small town in Illinois with her family, friends, and boyfriend Jordan. Her life had been mostly happy othe...