The Witcher: Raven and Wolf

Від brookejrogers

Female witchers don't exist. They're myths. But we live in a world where myths aren't as far from reality as... Більше

Prolog
1. Kaer Morhen
2. Kaedwen
3. The Raven
4. The Curse
Author's note
5. Her
7. Aretuza
8. Declán
9. Dhu
10. Daeva
11. Shelter
12. Tavern of Truth
13. Departure
14. Tissaia

6. Prisoners

1.5K 43 3
Від brookejrogers

≪◦ ❈ ◦≫

Geralt and Aderyn travel through the forest for some days and soon come to the other side, where they encounter a small village at the foot of the Kestrel mountains. It's raining heavily and both of them are wearing their hoods. In the time that they were traveling in the woods, they only spoke what they deemed necessary, not yet trusting each other. From afar the village looks harmless. Almost peaceful. But peace does not exist on this continent.

There is smoke coming from the village, painting the sky grey. The two are hungry, not having eaten anything in three days. From what they gathered, the witch's curse is planted throughout the continent and is slowly infiltrating everything. Turning normal beings into monsters, and killing humans through poisoned waters or mutated plants. Geralt has not yet asked Aderyn about her past, and he doesn't intend to. Not until he is sure that both trust each other.

When getting closer to the village's gates, they dismount their horses and guide them into the village, bringing them to a stall. Geralt throws an elixir into the horses' drinking water to make sure that it wasn't poisoned. Then, both witchers make their way to a tavern. As soon as they enter and remove their hoods, all eyes follow them as they step up to the bar. Geralt asks for two pints and some food. The bartender knows better than to start a scene and brings Geralt his demands and both witchers step to a table in the corner of the tavern.

Some people still stare at them while they sit down but soon look away when a bard starts singing and playing music. The people of Tridam are untrusting, hating the newcomers. As the two witchers eat, they are never in a moment of their stay not looked at. But the two, able to speak in a tone so quiet that humans don't hear, can communicate. And when Geralt understands that Aderyn can do this too, he is one step closer to believing that she is truly a witcher.

"We can't stay here long," Aderyn says, looking around but avoiding eye contact with the villagers. Geralt slightly nods. "And we need a mage to help us find this witch. It's impossible to trace her alone."

"Are you doubting your own strength, witcher?" she asks, smirking at him. He frowns, now thinking that she might not be a witcher after all.

"Come on, let's leave before we get beaten by these people." Geralt says and the two get up, pay the bartender and leave the tavern, only to find a dozen armed soldiers and a mage surrounding them.

The two stand there in shock but show no emotion.

"Well at least you got your mage." Aderyn says.

Geralt sighs.

"Fuck."

≪◦ ❈ ◦≫

Meanwhile, in other parts of the continent, the raging war continues. However, this one has nothing to do with the witch. It is the great cleansing. Humans call it so, but it is the opposite of cleansing. Blood and Tears of fallen elves coat the very ground where they once lived peacefully. Thousands dead within a day, and many more fall. The hate humans express against these creatures is horrifying. And yet still they do so. This leads to elves fleeing, trying to find a new place to survive. And it is them that have brought doubt to villages and cities all around.

It is also what made the people of Tridam doubt the two witchers. Many have decided to push away any type of being, except humans. They believe it is the only way to find trust again. But it costs them a big price. A price, that they cannot pay without the help of mages. Tridam was one of the many cities and villages that decided to hire a mage to help them out. Grow them food that they used to only be able to grow with the help of half-elves or witchers. Children of the continent are being taught to hate the other races, and never speak to them.

And so they do the only thing they deem appropriate: Lock them up if possible, or kill them. And since a witcher is already powerful, but two witchers are an exception, locking the two up was a safer option.

≪◦ ❈ ◦≫

"Well, witcher. I thought you beasts walk alone." the mage spits, forgetting the respect in his tone. He is wearing a long robe, as most mages do, but on one of his hands, there is a burn mark. It is a symbol. Most likely the symbol of the village itself. His oath to protect Tridam. Geralt looks at each of the men surrounding the two. They're scared. Holding up their weapons but shaking. Giving them dirty looks but sweating. They're not ready.

"We've been sent by the King of Kaedwen-" he starts.

"Well then where's the rest of yer group?" a man asks.

"Sorry?" the mage says.

"Yeah, I hear these soldiers of Kaedwen walk in groups. And they're not supposed to walk through villages either." the soldier explains.

That helps the mage with his decision. "Well then. In this village, you'll stay then. Lock them up!" he says and turns away. The soldiers come towards the two witchers, slowly. But before they can touch the two, the mage gets impatient and uses a spell to tie their hands up. He pulls them after him and guides them into a prison cell. The two would be lying if they said they didn't let the mage do so. It was an easy spell, which gave them the impression that the mage wanted to either help them or needed help from them.

The two are thrown into a cell and the doors are locked behind them. The ties around their hands disappear and they are left alone. In a dark, humid cell. At least they have a window and a light. The other prisoners seem to be either dead or killing themselves so they won't worry about the company.

"So, Geralt," Aderyn says, sitting on a bench, "where are you from?"

Geralt turns around to her and sits down next to her, figuring she's right. They could spend this time getting to know each other.

"I was born in Rivia."

Aderyn smiles. "I know that town. It was quiet. Almost frozen."

"Hm." Geralt says.

Then a long silence returns between the two, letting Geralt think about his next question. He looks at Aderyn, knowing that the chances of a female witcher existing are impossible and yet she sits there, with white hair and grey eyes. Prepared for the worst, and able to kill.

"Have you ever battled a striga?" Geralt finally asks and Aderyn turns her head towards him.

She frowns at his question for a moment before answering: "Three, actually."

Now it is Geralt that frowns: "Three? Did you kill any of them?"

"No."

"How did you manage to keep them out of their tomb?" Geralt asks, getting interested.

Aderyn looks back at the opposite wall.

"You seal off all the entrances, and make a run into the tomb, sealing it off as well. If you're lucky, the striga isn't strong enough to rip off the cover. And then you wait." she sighs, closing her eyes.

Geralt understands and respects her privacy, looking away as well. Both sit in their cell, waiting. For what exactly, they don't know.

Suddenly Aderyn turns to Geralt: "The sewers." Geralt turns to face her and frowns. She indicates a grid on the Floor and Geralt quickly gets up, lifting it up and slowly putting it on the ground next to them. Aderyn looks down the hole and starts climbing down.

"What are you doing?" Geralt asks.

Aderyn looks back at him. "Escaping. What else?"

"Don't you want me to go first?" Geralt asks, making a confused expression.

"Look, Geralt, if I die, you'll get to blame it on me, all right? But come on, we've got a witch to find."

With those words, Aderyn climbs down into the sewers and Geralt soon follows. Now they're on their own.

≪◦ ❈ ◦≫

Aderyn's feet splash into the water when she drops into the sewers. It smells strongly of horseshit and dead animals. She holds back her gag and looks around. Geralt drops down next to her. He looks back and forth and smells the air. Like he does when he's looking for the source of the scent of blood. In this case, it's the nearest way to fresh air. He nods to where Aderyn is standing and she starts walking in that direction.

They pass multiple gates in the search for a way out, each of them more confusing to look at. Some lead to a pit, others just seal off a wall. Yet even if they're useless, they have been put up. To stay even. Geralt senses something following them and turns around, yet doesn't see anything. It's like his sight has been blocked. The tunnel makes a sharp turn and when they pass the corner, there is something in front of them. Both witchers immediately draw their swords, only to be met with the mage they saw earlier.

"Please," he says, "I do not intend to hurt you. I merely need your assistance."

"Stregobor." Aderyn whispers, Geralt hearing.

"You know him?" Geralt whispers at Aderyn.

"Yes," she says stepping towards him, "he was my mentor."

Geralt frowns. "When?" he asks.

"In Aretuza."

≪◦ ❈ ◦≫

oooof is this even possible? yes. it is.

a female witcher, who also studied the art of chaos.

hope you're all well!

Brooke.

Продовжити читання

Вам також сподобається

212K 3.4K 21
The Witcher Imagines we have all been waiting for. ☞ Geralt of Rivia ☞ Yennefer of Vengerberg ☞ Jaskier ☞ Cahir ☞ Ciri (only non-romantic) ☞ Dara...
69.9K 1.5K 23
"Ah, there we go. Don't worry, you are safe now. I will protect you, " his deep voice rumbled through my ears. Collecting all strength in my beaten b...
14K 833 37
Jaskier was part fae. A quarter to be precise. There was an old superstition among humans that names held power, but for fae it was so much more...
24.2K 658 21
Geralt of Rivia comes across a small town with a bit of a monster problem. But when things go horribly wrong he comes across a woman who was supposed...