Trigger

By Saleena

"Go ahead, pull that trigger. You know, that's the only reason I brought you here in the first place. So you... More

Trigger
Trigger: Chapter 1
Trigger: Chapter 2
Trigger: Chapter 3
Trigger: Chapter 4
Trigger: Chapter 5
Trigger: Chapter 6
Trigger: Chapter 7
Trigger: Chapter 8
Trigger: Chapter 9
Trigger: Chapter 10 [Heaven]
Trigger: Chapter 12
Trigger: Chapter 13
Trigger: Chapter 14
Trigger: Chapter 15
Trigger: Chapter 16
Trigger: Chapter 17
Trigger: Chapter 18
Trigger: Chapter 19
Trigger: Chapter 20
Trigger: Chapter 21
Trigger: Chapter 22
Trigger: Chapter 23
Trigger: Chapter 24
Trigger: Chapter 25
Trigger: Chapter 26

Trigger: Chapter 11

179 7 1
By Saleena

Two guards came in. One dropped a tray of food on the floor and gestured towards it for me to eat. Having not eaten for days, I was starving. I reached down and devoured everything on the plate. Honestly, it was messy and unattractive and probably resembled something off the discovery channel.

“Hm, seems like someone slapped a good appetite into you,” the one man sneered.

The other man nudged him with his elbow.

“He’s probably making her eat to make sure she has enough energy for him,” he snickered.

I glared at the two of them but continued engulfing all the contents of the tray until it was empty. They just watched and continued to talk as if I couldn’t hear them.

“How did the new guy end up with a claim on this piece? We didn’t even get a shot and we’ve been here longer,” the one whined, looking me up and down.

“He may be new but don’t underestimate him. I heard he’s quite powerful and has taken down any challenger with ease,” the one answered. “So it’s not like he’s not playing by the rules. He’s accepted every single challenge thrown at him. If you really want her, challenge him.”

The guy stopped looking me over to roll his eyes with a sigh. He crossed his arms over his chest, slightly slumped and huffed.

“It’s not worth it,” he grumbled.

“It’s really not. The only reason she’s even here is to help us catch the hunter. Once he’s out of the way, they’ll be no need to keep her around,” the other shrugged.

“The hunter? Ayden Daier? How is a human girl supposed to help us catch him?”

The first one smirked.

“She’s his little toy and from what I hear, he wants her back.”

I wanted to speak up. I wanted to tell them they were wrong and that Ayden wouldn’t come for me. I wanted to explain how I’m nothing like that to him and he’s just trying to help me get home. I wanted to tell them that they had no chance and if he did come, that he’d kick their angel asses. But instead, I kept quiet. That’s what Mick told me to do…

“Anyway, let’s get out of here,” the other said finally, scooping up the empty tray and walking out the door.

Once the door clicked shut, I pushed myself off the bed and started to walk across the room. There wasn’t much space in the cramped room but my chains were tight before I reached the opposite wall. It was like being stuck in a nicely painted jail cell.

The chains stretched out to form two straight, parallel lines between me and the wall they were attached too. I pulled at them angrily wishing my adrenaline would give me enough strength to break them right off the walls like some sort of great animal. I knew I was fooling myself and it was impossible. Still, I continued to pull.

I wasn’t even sure how long I’d been here but it was starting to weigh on me. At this point, all I wanted was to go home. With a sigh, I let myself slump down onto the ground, the chains still tight. I gave them another hard yank from my place the floor before giving up.

*

“Melinda?”

“Hm?” I hummed groggily.

“Why are you on the floor?”

I looked up to see Mick staring down at me with concerned eyes. It was refreshing to see such a warm face when everyone else didn’t think I was anything more than an object they had to feed. My back was stiff and sore from laying the flat ground.

“I fell asleep,” I mumbled in explanation, trying to push myself up.

He knelt down and scooped me off the ground. The chains dragged lazily behind us as he laid me down on the bed. Sitting besides me, he smiled.

“Why do you guys always do that?” I muttered. I was still tired.

“Us guys? Do what?” Mick asked, confused.

“You and Ayden always carry me. I know how to walk,” I whispered incoherently, my eyes sliding shut.

“Well when you look so light and tired, it’s tempting,” he explained with a light laugh. I smiled sleepily in response.

“So, what’s going on? Are we making a break for it any time soon? I’m really sick of being here, Mick,” I informed him with a more serious tone now.

“I know. I’m really trying,” he whispered. “From what I hear, there’s a door that goes directly to Cobalt. It’s probably the one they brought you through. I just have to find it. It’ll be much easier to pass through that than the main gate…”

I looked at him, he was deep in thought. I noticed that there was a light patch of purple forming on his left brow and around his eye.

“What happened?” I asked, leaning up to look at it closer.

“Hm? Oh, it’s nothing. I just had a little run in with a few guards. Being a new member in town, I have to prove I can handle myself or else they’ll walk all over me. Angels are cruel and cutthroat,” he muttered before letting a small, crooked smile cross his lips. “I don’t have it as easy as Ayden.”

“What do you mean?”

“Ayden already has that reputation. People hear his name and get on edge. I have to show people not to mess with me and to be honest, I’m quite the pacifist at heart,” he explained, chuckling at himself. “That’s why I opted to be a medic, but you have to do what is necessary…”

“Look how much trouble I’ve brought you guys,” I mumbled, looking down to play with the corner of the sheets.

“Hey,” he rested a hand on my shoulder. “It’s not your fault. We want to help you. It’s what we do.”

“You could be doing something a little more productive. Maybe you could be saving someone else right now,” I argued.

Guilt pulled at my heart. Mick was taking beatings for me. He was stuck in Heaven, a place he ironically hated, to try to help me. Ayden got a pool stick through his chest trying to save me. I was a burden to them both.

“Ayden and I tend to put friends before strangers when it comes to saving people,” Mick assured me with a bright smile. “Anyway, it is our fault you’re here in the first place. No one would bother with you if you didn’t know the things you did. It’d probably also help if Ayden wasn’t dragging you around Cobalt. The entire town is either angels or demons.”

I looked at him. “Really? I didn’t even notice.”

“You wouldn’t. You’re senses aren’t developed enough for that,” he answered.

“But they all look so…”

“Human?” he questioned. “You know, I’m an angel too,” he reminded me with a grin.

“Right, I keep forgetting.”

“It’s okay,” he shrugged before pausing. “Anyway, I came by because some of the guards think it’s strange how gentle I am with you. I requested a longer shift as your guard but some are suspicious of my intentions. I have to give them some proof that I’m, well… I need to…” he trailed off awkwardly.

I stared back blankly. I had no idea where he was going or trying to go. He looked uncomfortable, his face coloring a bit. He hesitated before speaking again.

“I have to… leave some evidence,” he explained slowly. “Just hold still…”

“Oh,” I whispered. I looked away nervously. “Okay…”

Mick leaned in closer, taking my face in his hands. His fingers were freezing sending shivers rippling across my skin. Tilting my face up, his hands slipped behind my neck while his lips carefully brushed across my skin. I swallowed hard, knowing he could feel it.

He parted his lips and began to gently suck on the area above my collarbone. I closed my eyes. I could feel his breathing warming my skin. He moved to the opposite side and then, after a few moments, to the spot below my jaw line.

His tongue slid across the spot once before he nipped me gently with is teeth. I gasped in surprised and he pushed away from me. I subconsciously brought my fingers to my neck.

“Sorry,” he murmured quietly.

“It’s okay,” I answered, equally as quiet.

“They’ll look good,” he noted sadly as he scanned my neck.

“That’s good. The more realistic the better,” I replied.

The awkwardness between us was nearly visible in the room. We both sat in silence for a few moments.

“Ironic,” I remarked finally with a small smile. “First I’m bit here by a darkling and now an angel.”

Mick looked up at me before smiling back.

“Yeah, I suppose that is pretty ironic, huh,” he replied. “Sorry, I really didn’t have to bite you…”

“Really, don’t worry about it,” I reassured him.

He paused, staring at me for a few moments.

“I can see why he’s gotten so attached to you,” he commented, his eyes scanning my face.

“What do you mean? Ayden?” I asked. Everyone kept getting these warped ideas about me and Ayden. Where were they coming from all of a sudden? Mick nodded.

“Yeah, Ayden. Despite what you seem to think, he’s gotten pretty attached to you,” he paused to laugh at my expression. “He really has, believe it or not. You should feel proud.

That’s almost like an accomplishment.

“I think it’s because you know how to make bad things appear good. Well maybe not good but better. It may not make much sense to you, but that’s important to Ayden. He’s never had it.”

“Oh,” I nodded though not really understanding.

The small smile pressed across Mick’s face showed he still found my reaction amusing. He could also tell that I wasn’t really sure what he’d meant but either way, I wouldn’t accept what he was trying to say about Ayden. It’s not true.

“Fine, believe what you like,” he sighed in surrender as he stood up from my bedside.

“Anyway, I should really get going. Hopefully once they see the marks on your neck, they’ll move my rank up and I’ll get the keys to your chains.”

With that, he walked out the room.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

49.4K 1.6K 33
I summoned him on accident, but since he's here...
52 27 17
///// An angel. A demon. Two among many. This is our story. Some would say it is about anger and pain. Others would say it is about love. Both true...
12.8K 381 17
Malia stayed pressed against his chest, her eyes basically frozen open in fear. All she could feel was something cold pressed against her head. This...
2.4K 4 19
It's pure chaos at this point Finished Tw: Sucidie Self harm Sucidal thoughts And more This was my First FanFiction