Taming His Stallion [BWWM]

By Stars-vs-Chocolates

Paege is a young woman known for understanding animals. Or more specifically, horses. She is hired by the bea... More

Taming His Stallion
1_Dream Trainer
2_The Garden of Florettes Bed n' Breakfast Inn
3_That ... was HER?
4_That Arrogant New Boss Of Mine
5_Stable Girl
6_The Apology
7_Angel
8_Homemade
9_His Demeanor
10_Grasp
11_Captor
12_A Night To Remember
13_Relieve
14_Bonding Time
15_Silence
16_Clarity
17_Sweet Olives
A/N - 2021
18_Blissful Adventure
19_Unreasonable
20_Tolerance
21_Games
22_Regal
23_Together
24_Mr. Andrews
25_Wrecked
26_Acquaintance
27_Solace
28_Devastated
29_Little Tremors
30_Detention
31_Gravitation
32_Bare Minimum
33_Affinity
34_Enough
35_Harmony
36_Undeniable
37_Auction
39_Friends
40_Mates
41_Gone
42_Breadcrumbs
43_Tightrope
44_Hopeless
45_Stay
46_Reflection
47_Aftermath

38_Tempers

1.5K 118 24
By Stars-vs-Chocolates

Danny

Shit!

Tempers?!

What the heck?

Why was her childhood horse at some damned charity auction?!

Paege had parted unwillingly with her horse over a decade ago, and no doubt was still sore about that to this day.

I could tell–even now–she had never gotten over the loss. That's why she'd literally dedicated her entire adult life to taking care of horses, injured or otherwise. Because she missed her. The one she'd forged an irreplaceable friendship with, in her youth.

Loss was a fragile thing. It can warp the mind, and make things you'd thought you weren't otherwise capable of, seem less farfetched. But, to a child, it must have felt like the ground was caving in.

The loss of a loved one was never easy. But losing one after the other, the way she did, certainly drives the dagger deeper.

I'm still not sure how she managed to rise to prominence the way she did. Her loss would've surely been intolerable to another.

I supposed the flame wouldn't let her give up–give in.

Despite all she'd suffered, a fire raged within her. A flame–the desire to not just live but thrive. It had captivated me from the very first time we'd met. That fire called and I was powerless to answer.

I couldn't resist.

The pain in her eyes as she gazed upon her childhood companion, probably wondering if this was some kind of sick joke, rattled me in every way.

If that was even a fraction of what her father had felt, as he watched his wife nurse a broken heart, then on some level I understood why he'd done what he did.

I'd do anything to take away her pain. To shield her from the harshness of the world–from the pain, I'd caused her. I'd take it back in a heartbeat.

As pools swirled in her eyes, it appeared that Paege hadn't yet exhaled since she'd laid eyes on her horse.

Instinctively, I placed my hand on the small of her back, rubbing circles in a calming fashion while trying to table her agony, if even for a moment. "Breathe, Paege," I offered softly, so only she could hear. "Breathe."

My words seemed to reach her as she consciously made an effort to compose herself. Inhaling deeply and letting out a shaky breath before repeating the process a few times.

When she seemed to find her wits again, Paege set those mesmerising eyes of hers on me, taking my hand in hers and entwining our fingers before giving it a gentle squeeze.

"Thank you," She said in barely a whisper, but I caught it.

With a small smile, I reciprocated, giving her hand a gentle squeeze, and mouthed the words, "You're welcome."

We both turned, taking in the scene that was playing out before us.

In all her musings, I'm certain she hadn't imagined this. That she'd attend the auction gala and once again cross paths with her childhood friend. I certainly hadn't, and I'm sure if Bell and Paege's friend were caught up to speed, they wouldn't either.

No one would.

Instead, I'm more than certain Paege had held on to the hopes that her companion was able to find a new welcoming and generous life with her new owners and–above all–that she would be looked after and cared for.

And, even given the circumstances, that her father had given all their cherished horses a better shot at life.

Fast forward to that moment the auctioneer had announced Temper's name, and I'm certain a slew of thoughts had muddled her mind just then.

Weren't the people who'd bought the horse off her family's hands competent enough to take care of her?

By the expression on her face, Paege was floored. And rightly so.

I couldn't possibly imagine what it must have been like to have something I love so much ripped from my life at such a tender age, only to have it turn up at an auction of all places.

Seemingly in a trance, she took slow shaky steps, moving closer to the stage for a better look. Her hand never left mine, and I certainly wouldn't let her go alone.

We moved in sync, finally stopping a few yards from the auctioneer who was bringing Temper's backstory to a close.

Her chest rose and fell in noticeable breaths as she acclimated to the twisted scene playing out before her very eyes.

Looking over my shoulder, I spared my sister a glance to find her not far behind.

Bell was perceptive by any standards, and I could see a light of recognition flicker in her eyes. Evidently, she'd caught on quickly to the gravity of the moment, her eyes widening in realization as her steps quickened to intercept us.

I admired her need to be there for her friend. Especially, at such a vulnerable moment. In a few strides, she was beside Paege.

Bell took her best friend's hand in her own. Without words, letting her know that she was not alone.

Unfortunately, that guy also caught on that something significant was happening and followed closely behind Bell, meeting us in no time.

The crowd was densely packed at this point. The guests too moved to stay seated, though it paled in comparison to the shock, anger, confusion and inner turmoil radiating off my girlfriend in waves.

Stood there beside her, and bathing in the wealth of emotions rushing from her center, I gave her hand another reassuring squeeze, causing her to meet my gaze.

When she did, her eyes met determination and a secret promise that I would do all in my power to get her companion back to her.

The fact that Paege understood my gaze alone floored me, and I knew that I'd never love another the way I love her.

A weak smile tugged at the ends of her lips, and at my heartstrings. I know I had a lot to do to make up for all the pain I'd contributed to causing her.

But this is how I'd begin to pay my way.

Her thumb stroked the back of mine, and instantly my gaze was drawn to the gesture before my eyes settled on hers again.

Our tender gaze mingled before the sound of the auctioneer's voice filtered back in garnering our reluctant observation.

Placing my arm around her waist, I drew her closer to me and when she offered no protests, my heart did a tap dance.

I drew her closer still, selfishly revelling in the feel of her in my arms again for a moment.

Her lips quivered as the pools in her eyes threatened to rush out. Fighting her unease, she quickly blinked them away.

Anyone would be shaken by such a development.

Just imagine losing something cherished, only to find it but stand the chance of losing it all over again.

If ever there was a time to convince Paege where my loyalties, hopes, dreams and heart lies, it would be now. Before her childhood horse slips through her grasp again.

Right then and there, I promised myself that whatever the guests offered, I would outbid them.

Whatever it takes.

"Tempers has been through a bit of a rough patch. She's a bit shy and, after losing both her masters–one right after the other–who could blame her," A round of awes filtered through the barn.

Instinctively, I glanced down at the woman in my arms to witness the tears streaming down her cheeks.

She had lost the battle, but I was gonna win the war.

Though she made no sounds, her cries were a chipped blade edging closer to the center of my heart. I know that couldn't be easy to hear in general–let alone about a loved one.

Reaching down, I lightly wiped under both eyelids and along her cheeks before running my hand in a soothing motion up and down her waist.

Paege trembled slightly, briefly meeting my gaze before tucking her lower lip into her mouth.

She was nervous. And as Tempers's original owner, I could certainly imagine why.

My heart ached at the sight. I longed to return that mesmerizing smile from earlier. It was such a vast contrast from her sullen state at present.

Tempers was a more than symbol of her youth. More than a token of treasured time with her family before her mother and father passed away, in close succession.

A time before her sister left her to lick her wounds, alone, after their parents' untimely demise.

She was every memory Paege held dear before her family–her world–fell apart.

It was no exaggeration that she meant a lot to Paege. I know she loved–loves that horse. And no one could possibly love her more.

Tempers's loss and pain surely affected Paege as the pair had bonded long before she had learned the bitterness of life.

Not long ago, we'd even had a lengthy conversation about her before things took a turn downhill.

Tempers was still a part of Paege–the driving force behind what she did for a living, and who she was as a person. So to watch her horse get snatched from her all over again would be inconceivable.

"Tempers had reclusive tendencies when she was found," The auctioneer continued. "But she has slowly begun to socialize with her peers, though she is admittedly a bit shy around people."

In a surprising turn, Tempers tried to take the mic from the man causing the guests to erupt in laughter.

It was quite something else, and by the teary-eyed smile on Paege's face, I'm certain she would agree.

"I see someone is eager for me to get on with it," He chuckled, patting Tempers lightly on the neck while evoking another bout of laughter from the crowd.

I succumbed as well, unable to resist her comical genius.

"Shall we start the bidding at six thousand?" The auctioneer prompted.

At his words, a small hand circled my forearm and I glimpsed down to find Paege fixated on the stage. Mentally at the edge of her seat.

"Eight thousand," Someone ahead of them raised a placard.

Her hand gave my forearm a gentle squeeze.

"Do I hear ten thousand?" The auctioneer scanned the guests before intercepting another bid from a young redhead who lifted her placard with a nod.

This was all happening with lightning speed.

"Thirteen thousand," The redhead called, raising her placard once more. Paege's grip tightened as a result.

"Fifteen thousand," A brunette guy lifted his hand, indicating to the auctioneer who nodded in appreciation.

"Twenty thousand," A short elderly man countered with a nod, garnering a gasp from the crowd.

With each new bid, Paege's grip tightened on my hand, indicating the nuances of her emotional state.

Until I removed her hand from my arm, instead taking her hand, interlocking our fingers and pressing a kiss against the back of her hand.

"Twenty-five thousand," I chimed, raising my hand to indicate to the auctioneer who reciprocated with a curt nod and a smile.

A collective gasp was heard as the other guests turned to look at me.

Momentarily, I glanced at Paege to find her gazing up at me in complete astonishment. It seemed that I could still surprise her, and I quite liked that.

A smile spread across my face as I searched her gaze. Her jaw slackened, drawing my gaze to her lips. And I was tempted to lean in and kiss her just then.

"Twenty-seven thousand," A voice called from our near left, garnering our simultaneous gaze. The owner was none other than the intruder himself–Paege's friend.

My teeth ground together as a low groan rumbled through my chest. "Thirty thousand," I countered.

"Thirty-five thousand," He countered with a smug look, punctuated by the smouldering look in his baby blue eyes.

"Casey?" Bell interjected tersely, completely perplexed. "What are you doing?"

His gaze lowered to Paege just then before I uttered the next few words with more venom, "Forty thousand."

The atmosphere clung to the deafening silence, bathed in the tension radiating between us.

Casey, as my sister referred to him, squared his shoulders and tilted his neck in renewed determination. "Forty-five thousand," A subtle smile of contempt, almost derisively, caught my eye.

This idiot clearly had an edging desire to lose more than a few teeth.

There was no way on God's green earth–absolutely no way–that I'm letting that prick steal Tempers from within my grasp.

"Fifty thousand," I all but barked.

"Sixty thousand," Casey folded his arms, flexing them in defiance.

"Seventy thousand and one," My jaw tightened in annoyance.

"Eighty thousand," He rebutted, his eyes glinting in the knowledge that he was succeeding in pissing me off and getting under my skin.

I had no desire to continue with his shenanigans, inhaling deeply and settling on a number in my mind. I turned to the auctioneer, a nearby chuckle catching my ear as he thought he'd won.

That'd be the day, I scoffed inwardly. "Three hundred–" I looked at him pointedly one last time, catching his jaw in the midst of dropping to the floor before continuing, "–Thousand dollars."

The guest gasped in wonderment around us, gazing at me with a connotation of respect, admiration and even jealousy in their eyes.

"Three hundred thousand going once," The auctioneer called, glancing around for anyone insane enough to top that, "Going twice?"

When no one offered a word of defiance, he held my gaze respectfully. "Adopted by the generous gentleman in the navy blue tux."

Relief flooded me at his words and the deafening applause erupting around us.

In a brief moment of petty rivalry, I shrugged my shoulders with a smug grin on my face as Casey regarded me with a despondent look.

Bell stood beside him with a look that said, 'What the hell just happened?'

All the applause–even my sister's perplexed expression–faded into the background as my eyes beheld the woman in my arms, and something shifted in me.

My eyes flicked between hers and I felt them soften along with my expression as she stared back at me, teary-eyed with a long look and smile of deep admiration.

My heart beat a tattoo in my chest, ready to give out at the slightest look of endearment held in her gaze.

A clearing of the throat pulled our reluctant gaze to find that the crowd had all but dispersed. Only we four, along with the other new owners, had stuck around.

Some of the other guests came over to greet us, offering me their congratulations and I reciprocated.

The auctioneer, now down from his stage and mingling with the other owners, invited us to follow him through the doors at the back of the barn.

We eagerly submitted, trailing behind him, one after the other to the stables where we were each introduced, in gradual succession, to our new horses.

Finally, the auctioneer led us to the last stall, opening the door so that we could get acquainted with Tempers.

Upon entry, Paege stilled, her arm tucked around mine and gripping with eager intensity.

"It's okay," I dipped my head to hers, cooing so only she could hear me. "This is real. She's really here. Go see for yourself."

Unhooking her arm from mine, I guided her arms down, still holding onto her right hand until she'd built up enough courage to face the reality.

Hesitantly at first, then incrementally, Paege loosened her grip, steadying herself before she made small steps toward Tempers, coaxing the horse's interest.

When she was finally within a hair's breadth, the horse neighed giving her a start.

Paege inhaled, visibly steeling her resolve moments before stretching her hand out to brush against Tempers's neck. The horse murmured, dipping its head under her hand, leaning into her caress.

Paege burst out into happy tears, embracing her long-lost companion in a deeply moving embrace.

Foreheads pressed together, Paege's tears fell on her horse.

She knew who Paege was.

Tempers knew.

○○○ Don't forget to VOTE, COMMENT and SHARE.○○○

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

116K 4.8K 71
Paris teaches toddlers, she was orphaned at a young age and that has made her guarded and stole all the hope she has of having a happily ever after...
825 30 7
Was requested long ago which I forgot about, sorry...... ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Mimi is the adopted second cousin of Lafayette; she's o...
86.8K 1.9K 27
Amy is an ordinary rodeo girl. She is a professional Barrel Racer that only cares about the rodeo, friends an family . She doesn't really like many b...
233K 12.7K 51
Jasmine and Megan have always been best-friends since childhood. Now that they are older, they are both YouTube sensations who live together. The pro...