The Pearl of Great Price Part...

By KRgirl1

Fortune favors the brave or incredibly reckless. Charles Brandon, the Duke of Suffolk, a man of impulsive nat... More

Chapter 1: Lessons
Chapter 2: Ingenious
Chapter 3: Answers
Chapter 4: Frustrations
Chapter 5: Wives
Chapter 6: Foreboding
Chapter 7: No
Chapter 8: Laments
Chapter 9: Emotions
Chapter 10: Marriage
Chapter 11: Distractions
Chapter 12: Helpless
Chapter 13: Attitudes
Chapter 14: Voyage
Chapter 15: Tidings
Chapter 16: Arrival
Chapter 17: Potential
Chapter 18: Remembrance
Chapter 19: Bets
Chapter 20: Moments
Chapter 21: Steps
Chapter 22: Truth
Chapter 23: Romance
Chapter 24: Ideas
Chapter 25: Home Again
Chapter 26: Preparations
Chapter 27: Deceptions
Chapter 28: Confrontations
Chapter 29: Confusion
Chapter 30: Waves
Chapter 31: Devastated
Chapter 32: Grit
Chapter 33: Lessons
Chapter 34: Thanks
Chapter 35: Arrival
Chapter 37: Friends
Chapter 38: Bells
Chapter 39: Troubles
Chapter 40: Loyalty
Chapter 41: Gambits
Chapter 42: Sour
Chapter 43: Strain
Chapter 44: Urgent
Chapter 45: Reign
Notes

Chapter 36: Family

420 15 1
By KRgirl1

There's only one thing more significant than time, and that's who the time is spent with. For the Brandons, that means spending time with family and making endless memories together. Those memories and moments are everything. It's worth every second and every penny to them. Because in life, every second counts. The most incredible legacy Charles and Mary can leave their children is those of precious memories.

During his visit, Henry is coming to understand all of those things. For a stubborn, selfish king, who is set in his ways, it's a long road to enlightenment. It's an even longer road for any changes to occur. However, the horrific situation with Catherine, the recurring ailments with his leg, and the fact he cannot keep a wife has led him to realize something. That something is this. His success is not measured in money. It's measured by the love that encompasses him.

Henry has so much love around him from his family. A love he hasn't known in a long time. Looking back over his life, he has come to the conclusion he has not had much love--- real love. His parents loved him in their own way. Henry VII, his father, was a wise and prudent man, brave and uncompromising with a robust memory. But the man also had the same problem that seemed to plague himself--- the continuation of the Tudor dynasty through a male heir. That line of thinking drove Henry's father to the brink of madness, especially after Arthur died.

Ironically Henry was never trained to be the King of England. Arthur was. Henry, however, took lessons from his mother, Elizabeth. She taught him everything she knew, along with his sisters. So he grew up the center of his mother's attention and a little spoiled. His mother even taught him how to write, which is why his handwriting is similar to hers. Where his father was strict, his mother was loving. Her love is the first real love Henry knew until now.

Now the love he's been longing for has been found. It's in the face of his grandchildren and two daughters. Henry's grandchildren love him with an unconditional type of love. The love that only children can give. They do not care that he is the King of England. He doesn't even think they fully understand that concept. They do not love him for the things he gives them either, although they enjoy his gifts. No. The children care for him because he's their Papa. He's part of their family. They love Henry for no other reason than they just do, without condition.

His daughters are the same, especially little Elizabeth. But Mary, for some unknown reason, has shown him the love of forgiveness. When he reflects on that, it's humbling. Henry realizes he cannot go and change the past, but mending their relationship has changed the future. If they hadn't repaired it, Henry would have missed out on the love his oldest daughter has to give him. He may have even missed out on the love of his grandchildren. There is great nobility in forgiveness, which is one of his daughter's many admirable qualities.

It's true Henry Tudor may not have a son for an heir, but he has a worthy daughter, son-in-law, and grandsons. When he meditates on what his legacy will be, which he's been thinking about lately, it's one that leaves the country in capable hands. Charles and Mary are a stable couple, spreading that stability around wherever they go. Spending time in Cardiff has shown Henry their love for each other even more.

He honestly had no idea of the impact of marriage between the two. Charles has always been a worthy man if but a little lost. Like himself, his friend was looking for love in all the wrong places, drowning in drink and women. Henry knew the marriage between the Duke of Suffolk and Margaret was destined for failure. They have drastically different personalities that are not suitable. But Charles and Mary are a different story. Their inner character is similar and complementary, which fits each other and works together seamlessly. The two encourage personal growth and foster peace.

Charles loves his wife, and family is the most essential thing in the man's life. He thrives on being a good husband and father and is very dedicated to it. That has brought out another side of Henry's most genuine friend. It adds credibility and credence to Charles as a leader and man. With Mary's help, the two have created a legacy of their own--- a legacy of love and faithfulness. That heritage extends not only to their family but also to their friends and governance.

In all his years as king, Henry has never seen such a steady boom of consecutive years' growth of economic gains. He knows Mary has a lot to do with this boom. In her earlier years, she had been trained with the skills needed to run and govern a country. It's obvious she has put that into practice in their territories of Wales and Suffolk. So when Henry thinks about leaving the country in the capable hands of his oldest daughter, he is at peace. No longer does he stress himself out over not having a son. His legacy is secure in the hands of Mary and Charles.

Another way Henry has seen the stability and love from his daughter and son-in-law is through evening meals. Dinner time is unique at their house because the children eat with them. Charles told him, "Eating together is important to us as a family. It shows the children the importance of eating together and adds to their socialization skills."

Henry had not thought of that because, growing up with his family, the children ate at a different time than the adults. In fact, Mary did the same thing. It's good to see that she's setting her own household rules with her husband. And Henry has to admit that dinner is better with everyone together. It adds a certain entertainment all its own.

A good example would be this evening's meal. The dinner started the same as the others. The adults were seated, and the children were brought in to sit with them. Mary and Charles are trying to teach them table manners, especially the twins and Liz, since they're older. The servants served the meal of roasted chicken, freshly baked rolls, mashed-up potatoes, baked asparagus, parmesan brussel sprouts, and brown butter parsnips.

Everything was going fine with the children using their manners. Then Gillian, seated by her mother, started to cry. Mary turned to the little girl and asked, "What's wrong, Sweet Baby. Don't you like the food?"

Gillian shook her head and kept crying. Her mother forked a piece of cut-up chicken and raised it to Gillian's mouth. She reminded the child, "You like chicken. It's yummy." When she brought the fork closer to her daughter's mouth, Gillian closed it tight and shook her head. Owen and William started laughing at her, snickering behind their hands. Owen muttered, "Silly baby."

Both Gillian and Charles heard that. While Gillian said, "I not," Charles reprimanded him, "Do not say that about your sister. It isn't nice."

Mary continued trying to get her daughter to eat, but Gillian wouldn't. When she was about to give up, the little girl finally whined out her complaint, "It touching! It touching!" She pointed to the foods on her plate. That's when her mother understood. Gillian hates having her foods touching each other. She likes them separated, and she especially doesn't care for any liquid on her plate— the kind of liquid that comes from green beans or turnips. That's when she'll whine, "Yucky! Yucky!"

So, Mary got to work separating all of the foods. "Is that better? Will you eat now," she asked?

Gillian picked up her fork and said, "Yes. Tank coo." Then she began eating her food quietly. Mary took her napkin and dried the little one's tears. The only one who didn't cry or laugh was Liz. She sat enjoying her food and asked politely for seconds.

After dinner, the children went upstairs to bathe and get ready for bed. The adults congregated in the sitting room for after-dinner conversation and entertainment. Charles took out the chess game for himself and Henry to play. He's determined to beat his friend this time because Henry won the last time they played.

Mary read while Paisley sewed. She's in the middle of sewing her wedding veil, which is a work of art. It's a long chapel veil style with lace trim around the edges, and multi-color floral embroidery is sewn onto it. It was a contented evening. As the time ticked on, Henry lost to Charles and demanded a rematch the next night.

When the new day dawned, and breakfast ended, Henry asked, "Mary, I'd like to speak with you. We could use that lovely sitting room on the second floor. The one with all the grand windows overlooking the back of the estate."

Mary agreed, while her father made a request of the servant. "We would like you to bring some of that coffee drink to the second-floor sitting room." The servant nodded and left, as did father and daughter.

The two walked up the stairs and into the sitting room together. A pair of comfortable brown leather armchairs had been placed by the window. In an odd turn of events, Mary realized she had never really set foot in this room before. But she found that she liked it, especially the view her father spoke of. The Princess thinks she might have to frequent this room more often in the future.

Once the servant delivered the tray of coffee and cups, the conversation began. Henry opened by saying, "First of all, I again want to express my abject horror of what happened those weeks ago. I had no idea I married a monster. Truly I ask your forgiveness."

Mary told him, "Please, father, don't worry yourself about that. You had no idea what she and her companions were up to. You're just as much a victim as I was, but if you need me to say it, then I forgive you."

With a short nod, Henry said, "Thank you." He sipped his coffee before he plodded along with his talk. "The next thing I want to speak with you about is a difficult subject, but we need to discuss it. When I die---"

Mary cut him off. "Father! Please, let's not talk of you dying. I've had enough of death this past month. You're not dead yet. You're still alive and seem better since you've been here."

The man heard her words, but "We need to talk about this. I've had a lot of time on my hands recently to think specifically about my death. I am not getting any younger, you know. I also have an ulcerous leg and these severe headaches that make me want to do nothing but lie down. I am content in my decision of you as my heir. You and Charles will do as good a job ruling the country as I would, perhaps even better."

They both sat quietly for a beat. Mary didn't know what to say, but Henry did. So he continued. "Charles is coming along with his king lessons, and I know you've been receiving support for queen from your Dowager Countess. How have those lessons gone?" His eyes fixed hers into place.

Mary fiddled with the skirt of her dress. She smiled, thinking about Mr. Harris. Then she shared, "I've learned much more about things I didn't know before. For example, I have learned the art of being a good hostess and receiving gifts. I didn't realize there was etiquette around that, but apparently, there is. I have found more confidence in my abilities, and Lady Flora has made me learn to speak fluently in the Germanic language, as well as Portuguese. Then I also had to memorize all the houses of the nobility--- higher lords and lower lords."

Henry had no idea she had been doing all of that. He told her so. "That's incredible. It will benefit you well over time. You're getting etiquette and practical lessons. Good! I must tell you that I know you feel slighted when I have Charles handle the Privy Council duties. I know you feel insulted when I have you review the Royal Guard or commission vessels, but I have reasons for that. Charles is co-president of the Privy Council, so he already knows the men and how they behave. But the tasks you undertake are essential too. It allows a face to the monarchy and the people to see a kinder, softer side. Those are duties generally reserved for the queen." He hopes his daughter can forgive that too.

Mary chuckled and told her father, "At first, I confess I felt snubbed by you. That changed after Charles told me all about what the council asked of him. He shared that the men asked intrusive, nosy questions like when are you going to have another baby because even though you have two sons, you need another one. I did not know the men were so forceful and adamant about things of that nature."

She leaned forward and patted her father's hand. Then the Princess went on to share, "When he told me those things, it allowed me to see a little bit of what it must be like for you. It permitted me to understand your need for a son. I'm sorry you had all that pressure and that your sons died."

Henry did not expect those words. Unshed tears settled in his eyes. He stood up and moved the table between them to the side. In its place, he picked up his armchair and put it there. Now he's beside his daughter. Reaching over, he took her hand and held it as he made it clear, "I thank you for your words and kindness. I do not deserve it as I treated you horribly in the past. Even though you may understand the pressure I have been under, it doesn't excuse my poor behavior or judgment. I'm sure Charles had words to say to the council, unlike me." The thought of his friend telling them popped into his mind. It brought a smirky smile to his face.

Mary also smiled because she knew exactly what her husband had done. She let her father in on it. "Well, Charles kindly asked them if they would like a detailed diagram of the positions we take making love. He also asked if they wanted an outline of all the dates we've had relations in the past few weeks. Then wondered if they desire the same for when we plan to in the future. Charles told me the men's faces were scandalized, but it worked because they stopped asking."

Both she and her father laughed. After they stopped, Mary reminded him, "Father, as for you apologizing again for your past actions toward me, you don't need to. I've already forgiven you long ago when we cleared the air."

But Henry confided in her something that's been bothering him. "You're too kind, like your mother. You have her heart, thank God. The other thing I've been thinking about relates to her, actually. I did love your mother. Of all my wives, we were married the longest. She stood by me as I grew up, and then I let her down. I was blinded by my need for a son and became swayed by people and lofty promises. I did not do right by Catherine. God forgive me. Of all my wives, she and Jane were the best ones." He sat mulling over that.

Wiping a few stray tears, Mary made known her thoughts. "I confess I've been offended by your treatment of Mama in her last days. I couldn't understand how you could set her aside so easily and then not even bury her as a true queen should be buried. She was sick and needed proper care, and you were with Anne Boleyn loving life." The Princess wiped a few more tears away.

Henry nodded and took his hand to wipe his own tears. "As I said, I have no excuse. I am a weak man blinded by my need for a son and a pretty face. I'm still stupid when it comes to women. I cannot seem to find the right woman. If I had just stayed with your mother..." He trailed off. Then he picked back up and said, "At least Charles is not like me. He will not do that to you because he genuinely loves you. I don't think I'm meant to find love because I have not known a woman whom I can really love. I require too much. I believe I should just grow old knowing I'll be surpassed by you and my son-in-law. I have the love of my family that is enough in itself because many people in the kingdom do not have that." He reached over to the other side and picked up his coffee cup.

A little stunned by her father's words, Mary contemplated what to say. When she felt like she had it, Her Highness pointed out, "Every day is a new day. A new day full of possibilities and hopes. Know your own happiness, father, because you're not too old for possibilities and hopes like love to see you through old age. Of course, you'll have Charles and me to care for you, but I think you need a companion. Everyone needs that. You shouldn't be alone in those old palaces of yours. Please promise me that if you go looking for a new wife, try looking for someone sensible like my mother or Jane Seymour. And I also think Mama would have forgiven you. You honor her by how you treat me now and my children."

Wiping his eyes, Henry sniffed a little. He thought about what his daughter said and remarked, "Know my own happiness and choose someone sensible. Someone who can temper me and help me to be moderate. I will endeavor to keep that in mind. Now my Mary, let me tell you, continue to be soft. Do not allow the world, or people, to make you hard. Do not let the bitterness of life steal your sweetness. When you become Queen of England one day, still believe the world to be a beautiful place. Don't be jaded like your old father because there is nothing better than a tender heart."

Then he said something Mary didn't expect him to say. "What happened to you at the palace and the birth of Robert, don't let that steal your spirit. Hurt changes you. It makes you trust less, overthink more, and lock people out. Don't do that. Don't let one evil woman ruin your beautiful soul."

Mary cried and said, "Oh, father!" Then the two stood and embraced. There's something to be said for a father's hug. The same as how a girl is never too old to cry on her father's shoulder. They're both the same, comforting.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

107K 2.6K 56
Fortune favors the brave or incredibly reckless. Charles Brandon, the Duke of Suffolk, a man of impulsive nature takes a risk on a woman of cautious...
7.1K 271 20
Find out what's next for the Quilete beauty and Jasper...Will she be able to move on from the tragedy in her life?Or Will she give up?Will new surpri...
101K 3.1K 54
ATTENTION: this story will be removed soon from wattpad! 19 years old Brandon is the heir to the kingdom after his father. His crush for Alexandra r...
12.6K 244 22
Asilynn was raised by a single mother who taught her and her siblings how to get on in life. but what happens when Asilynn falls in love with the Duk...