Burning Flame

By dilenu

Sequel of HEALING WOUNDS Featured on @AmbassadorsNG 26/11/21 With a blast from the past, an estranged husband... More

Author's Note
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 41 part 2
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Important Author's Note

Chapter 39

14 11 12
By dilenu

Be happy.  Be Fun.
Let your hair down and be ageless. 
—Margo Vader. 

Skittish butterflies danced around in Dora's stomach and she fiddled with her fingers.

Their journey had gone on for over an hour and Dora remained ignorant of their destination.

We are going on a trip! Gerald's declaration floated in her mind and caused her heart to churn.

Her emotions had been in turmoil since their departure. Anger at Tara for teaming up with Gerald coursed through her. Irritation at Gerald's persistent secrecy surged through her.

However, curiosity dominated the other emotions.  Her eyes flickered outside and surveyed the vicinity they drove into.  Her brows furrowed as nothing seemed familiar.

Endless rows of huge trees dotted both sides of the road. Gerald did a right turn and continued straight down.

More trees came into view and Dora had to strain her eyes to make out the rooves of houses hidden behind the cluster of trees.

She tilted her head towards the window and struggled to pick up any sound echoing around. Her ears perked up as the rushing of water filled her senses.

Her confusion heightened and her eyes darted to the side to stare at Gerald. He wore a calm expression with a relaxed posture.

Dora bit her lip to hold in the one question she had.

Do I even want to know the answer? She asked herself.

I don't think so," came a small voice.

She pushed the thoughts and questions to the back of her mind and her eyes drifted back to the window.

Her body jerked a little as Gerald did a sharp turn. The car slowed down as they headed towards a black gate.

Dora's amazement increased as the big trees changed to palm trees of different sizes.

She didn't have to wonder too much.
They arrived at the black gate and a blue banner welcomed them.

Dora's eyes flickered to it and she let out a gasp as she whispered the words.

Paradise villa and resorts.

Her heart flipped and the butterflies in her stomach fluttered.

The word 'resort' jumped out at her and her mind raced to a memory long buried.

                ★★FLASHBACK★★

It was a peaceful day at the campus. Late afternoon had changed to evening and students were filing to their various dormitories.

Hand in hand, Dora and Gerald strolled towards the opposite end of the campus where the girls' hotels were stationed.

Gerald the ever-faithful boyfriend insisted on escorting Dora to the safety of her room in one of the hostels.

The couple chatted amicably without taking a break. That was one of the beautiful attributes of their relationship. They could discuss for hours without running out of topics.

But just like everything else, their chatting session ended as they stopped in front of Dora's room door.

They turned to each other and a smile graced their lips.

Gerald tilted his head and heaved a sigh. "It pains me to bid you goodbye."

Dora giggled and whispered, "Well, in a couple of months we'll graduate, and then you can do the needful." She smirked and grazed his shoulder with her hand.

He grinned and pulled her closer. "Or we could elope, get married, and spend a few days cooped up in a resort or something." A mischievous glimmer appeared in his eyes.

"Nah, that's not happening. We are going to do things the proper way," Dora said and pulled back.

"Oh yes, I am definitely going to do right by you." A loving smile graced his lips.

"I know you will." Dora sent him an affectionate smile. "And besides, just so you know,  vacationing in a resort is at the top of my wishlist and I want the experience to be magical." She produced a toothed grin.

"The view from my room has to be the ocean and the beach. I want to feel and see them even when I am not near them."

"A resort, eh?" A glint flickered in his eyes. "What activities do you want to do there?"

Dora's smile didn't waver. "I would definitely love to try out scuba diving and watch a movie under the stars." A dreamy look marred her face.

"Well then, consider all your wishes fulfilled." His lips formed into a grin.

                    ★★END★★

The screeching of the car on gravel jolted Dora out of her daydreaming and her eyes darted around in confusion. Finally, they stopped on Gerald who was staring at her with worry.

"Are you okay?" Frown lines marred his forehead.

"Yes," she croaked out.

Her eyes drifted back to the words written on the signpost and her heartbeat raced.

He remembers! Amazement washed through her.

So deep in thought, Dora didn't notice Gerald alight and come to her side to open her door.

"Shall we?" A hand appeared before her.

Her eyes traveled up and she gazed at Gerald. A myriad of feelings swelled within her and caused her nerves to itch.

Gerald sent her an encouraging smile. She swallowed a lump to moisten her suddenly dry throat.

Be on the move, Adaora. Said a small voice.

If you wait any longer, it will become embarrassing.

With that in mind, she swiftly placed her hand in his own and let him pull her out of the car. The cool breeze wafting around caressed her.

Gerald came to stand beside her. Her eyes traveled to the black bag in his left hand and they stopped on the bag in his right hand. It was none other than her red duffel bag. The white stars dotted on it gleamed at her.

Her brows wrinkled and she wondered how Tara snuck it out of the house without her notice.

"Let's head to the hotel," Gerald's voice drew her back to reality. "The evening chill is picking up."

Dora bobbed her head and forced her legs to move. Her hand gripped the handles of her handbag.

The duo climbed up a flight of stairs covered with marble tiles. Dora had a tight grip on her bag and her other hand clutched the railings of the stairs. Guests of the hotel pranced up and down the steps.

A huge glass door automatically swung open and they slipped in. A cold gust of wind slapped Dora and she shivered.

Her eyes scanned the lobby of the resort and a feeling of awe welled within her.

The lobby was bathed in the hues of nature. Brown and green the most prominent colors.

The duo headed toward the receptionist's desk. A young female looked up and greeted them with a smile.

"Good afternoon, how may I help?" Her eyes flickered between Dora and Gerald.

"Afternoon." Gerald nodded his head. "I made a reservation for two rooms a few days ago. Can I please get the keys to the room?"

"Okay. Please what are the names?"

"Gerald Marcello and Dora Bullock."

"Okay. Please hold on a second." The receptionist turned to the computer in front of her.

Dora seized the opportunity to admire the beauty of the resort. Her eyes stopped on any exciting thing in the space. Her eyes touched on the artwork of rolling hills with the turquoise water of the sea flowing beneath. The brown leather couch facing a huge plasma TV was a pop of color against the mint walls.

"Your rooms are right next to each other." The receptionist claimed her attention and she turned to her.

"Room 289 and 290."

Dora withheld a gasp and tensed.

"Here are the keys." She opened a drawer and brought out two keys with gold key chains and the room number written in bold.

"Thank you," Gerald said and collected them.

"You are welcome. Have a nice stay." She sent a smile.

Dora and Gerald expressed their gratitude and departed. Their shoes clicked softly against the tiled floor. The tiles gleamed under the bright lights of the chandeliers hanging above.

They ascended two flights of stairs and finally reached their rooms. Two identical doors stared back at them.

"Here is your key." Gerald handed Dora the key with room 289 written on it.

"Thank you," she whispered and turned to the door. She inserted the key, opened the lock, and pulled down the cold metal doorknob.

With one push, the door swung open. The duo ambled in and the door closed behind them.

Dora's eyes traced over everything in the room. A queen-size bed sat in the middle of the room with a bedside table flanking both sides. Two white armchairs with a center table faced a medium-sized TV hanging on the wall. 

Two other doors stood parallel to each other. One leading to the bathroom and the other leading to the balcony.

Her legs carried her to the door leading to the balcony. She pushed it open and slipped past. A breath left her lips as she took in the view before her.

An orange ball hung in the sky and the orange, yellow, and pink colors emanating from it splashed on the surface of the sea.

Every cell in Dora's body awakened to the scenery.

The sandy beach enclosed the sea in such a way it formed the shape of a crescent.  The normally pale sand was etched with golden brown streaks.

Her eyes flickered close as she let the cool breeze soothe her aching muscles, skittish nerves, and bleeding heart.

"It's beautiful, isn't it?" A voice asked from beside her. 

Her eyes darted open and turned to the side. Gerald stared at her with various emotions swirling in his eyes.

The emotions surging through her overwhelmed her and rendered her incapable to speak.

Her eyes drifted back to the glowing sea and she whispered, "It's breathtaking."

The sounds of the waves filled her with a calming sensation. 

Gerald's voice broke the silence. "I know it's happening late but I vowed to fulfill all your wishes. And I am glad I got the opportunity."

Dora's heart raced and she turned to him and their gazes locked.

"Thank you," she found herself saying.

"My pleasure!" A smile hovered on Gerald's lips and an intense look shimmered in his eyes.

An expression she knew so well but didn't want to have anything to do with. 

Dora's cheeks warmed and she broke their staring spell. Her eyes drifted back to nature's beauty.

The wind picked up and the trees bowed in accordance. Grains of sand flew around and a grain landed on Dora's lips. She tasted its saltiness and brushed it off with her hand.

Silence returned as the duo got lost in the magnificence of God's creation. 

Gerald cleared his throat. "I believe I should leave you to rest." He turned to face her with his hands in his pockets.

Dora faced him and bobbed her head.  They sauntered out of the balcony and into the bedroom.

"I will be back in an hour so that we can go down and have dinner at the restaurant," Gerald said as they reached the door. "Will that be okay with you?"

"It's okay," she whispered.

Gerald nodded. "See you soon."

Dora watched him slip out of her room. She remained standing until she heard his door open and close.

Left alone, Dora exhaled sharply as all the events of the day raced back. She took stealthy steps to the bed and sat down on the edge with a rigid body.

Oh Lord, what is happening?  She bent over and buried her face in her palms.

She received no answer. But her frustrations couldn't last long because a distraction came in the ringing of her phone.

She brought out the phone from her bag and answered, "Hello!"

"Hey, gurl!" Kemi's loud voice filled the line. "How's it going?"

"Good," Dora replied in a curt tone.

"Ugh!" Kemi groaned. "Good doesn't cut it. Spill the beans."

Dora rolled her eyes. "Oh please, don't start."

"Mom, are you having fun?"

"And is he treating you right?" Another familiar voice chimed in.

"Huh?"  Dora's brows wrinkled. "What's going on?"

Kemi chuckled. "It's a group call, silly. So give us the information at once. "

Dora rolled her eyes again. "I don't know what you are talking about." She flung herself on the bed and heaved a sigh.

"Psst, I don't believe that."

"Well then, suit yourself." Dora felt her frustration rise.

"Oh my God!" Kemi suddenly shrieked. "Have you guys made up?"

Of course not! Dora wanted to yell but remembered Gerald was a wall away and could probably hear everything.

"No!" She whispered yelled.

"Why am I not surprised?" Kemi uttered with a tint of exasperation. "You guys need to get with the program. You are not getting any younger."

Dora felt the urge to roll her eyes but she stopped and shook her head instead. "That's true. And you also need to remember we are no longer in college with the numerous college romances."

"Well, yeah; I agree. But we all know that true love has no age limit."

Chiaka and Tara hummed in agreement. And Dora couldn't stop herself from rolling her eyes.

"Yeah, right?" She muttered under her breath.

"Mom, please give him a chance."

Dora's anger resurfaced and she snapped. "Is that why you teamed up with him to plan the trip?"

"Oh no, whatever Tara did was based on my direction," Kemi jumped in.

That just makes it worse, Dora inwardly fumed.

"Mom, I did whatever I did because I believed it was the right thing to do."

Dora exhaled and her eyes closed briefly. "Why do you think it was the right thing to do."

"Because I wanted you to have fun. And Uncle Gerald was ready to make it happen."

Dora heaved a sigh and ended her scolding. She knew whatever they did was because they cared for her. However, her fears and doubts remained.

"Adaora," Chiaka broke the silence, "I know he hurt you. But he is ready to make amends.  Please give him a chance to restitute."

Dora's eyes flickered close as tears gathered in them. Their words shook the wall surrounding her heart.

"What if he hurts me again?" She whispered.

"Then you can cut him off forever," Chiaka replied.  "However, give him just once chance to prove himself."

She remained silent as she digested the words of her sister. Her ears perked up as Tara's pleading voice filled the phone.

"Mom, I want you to have fun.  I don't care if nothing changes between the two of you. But I want you to enjoy the trip. You have always wanted to visit a resort and you have now. So fulfill all your heart's desires.  Don't think of anything else." Tara's voice was thick with emotion.

Teardrops rolled the sides of Dora's face. 

"I agree with Tara," Chiaka said in a calm tone. "Giving Gerald a second is your decision alone. You don't have to listen to us. However, seize the opportunity to unplug and relax. You have gone through a lot in the last few months and you deserve a break."

"Your wounds have healed, D. Don't let the scars of your past hold you back from being happy." Kemi's voice came out low.

Dora sniffled as more tears ran down her face. "I have heard all of you. I will try to have fun..." She trailed off,

"And give him a chance," she said more to herself.

Kemi, Tara, and Chiaka exclaimed in excitement and glee. A few minutes later, the call ended and Dora was left alone with her fears and doubts.

Although she had agreed to have fun and give Gerald a chance, one question floated in her head.

Would she be able to do it?

                           ★★★★

Oh wow, that was quite an intense chapter, wasn't it?
But I believe it was worth it. XD

Anyway,  what do you think about what Kemi, Chiaka, and Tara told her?

And do you think Dora will listen and be able to accomplish it?

I look forward to your answers so don't hold back.

And moving on, our official Question of the chapter is: What do you think about Gerald's surprise and resort?

I look forward to seeing your thoughts. So don't leave without dropping a comment. XD

Also, don't forget to 👇

Vote

And share

Until next time, have fun.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

55.9K 2.9K 32
"Jake couldn't stop his eyes from dropping to my body. His gaze lingered on my curves, his face thirsting for something more than the spilled coffee...
75.5K 2K 15
When a woman from their past comes hurtling back into their lives after eight years, Christian Grey and Gideon Cross must navigate their way through...
29.3K 1.4K 91
[COMPLETELY EDITED AND FINISHED.] This book is a sequel to Assassin Love and cannot be read as a stand alone. READ ASSASSIN LOVE FIRST OTHERWISE YOU...
87 64 62
*Second in the Fire Whiskey series* 'I had been amazed at the connection Brad and I had, and our connection was inexplicable, but this with Rev was s...